Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Thanks for the input, sounds like I guessed it just right for once....
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Glad to help. Given good alignment, rotation (10,000 miles intervals) and operation, this TP will hopefully stack the odds in your favor for the longest and highest tread life.
  • Options
    We did a normal weeks' commute, and just this afternoon took a 100 mile highway trip (one leg). Used the A/C on the 100 mile leg. Filled up (11.1 gal) for a 40.9 mpg. (454 miles) We are running 35 PSI F/R TP. Did some local (highway traffic but "RUSH HOUR" conditions). Just got back with another 146 miles, but did not fill up.
  • Options
    Another fill up 11.1 gals (454 miles) for another 40.9 mpg. Too spookie. This time it was mostly one driver.
  • Options
    Correction!!

The mileage was actually 450. So /11.1 gal= 40.54 mpg.
  • Options
    dgecho1dgecho1 Member Posts: 49
    35 TP F/R is good compromise..I agree...I ran this on an 03 civic and routinely got 42-43 mpg at 68-70 mph...08 civic lx just at break-in about 40 mpg....we will see..
  • Options
    For me all this stuff is really about putting ALL the ODDS in ones' favor.

Off the top of my head here are some: Drive this particular car's hp/torque curve
    (I swag most folks who get poor mileage and complain about it, really do not understand this)

1. Sustained (highway) speed oem recommended 35 psi
    2. Low rolling resistant tires
    3. Lowest viscosity oil ( Mobil One 0w20)
    4. No to little extra weight, i.e. don't pack over 100#'s unless you have to.
    5. Idle as little as possible
    6. SMOOTH driving, drive ahead, light on the machinery
    7. Drive so as to decrease the use of brakes
    8. Don't do left hand turns, unless you have to or it is signaled
    9. Drive like you are paying for it (most of us really do!! ) :)

All this stuff really can easily be over ridden, " between the headsets" given the environments one has to drive.
  • Options
    chickennoodlechickennoodle Member Posts: 2
    I am living in Vancouver, for 14 months now and over 23,000km. My commute is about 60 km(38mi) round trip per day. 50/50 city and highway. NO a/c 99.9%. I am only getting ONLY around 450km(280mi) before the light is on, a fillup for that is averaging 42-43 liters (11.11gal) that means 25mpg. I asked the Honda mechanic but only some red tape -- depends solely on your driving habit......
    I remember I read some post mentioning about re-setting the computer by pull off the battery contact. Will that help or any other way to boot up the mpg.
    By the way I am a normal driver (not a light foot one), the same driving habit, I'd driven my previous car, a Mazda portege LX for 11 years (same 1.8 liters engine) averaging 430km before the light is on. This 06 civic EX doesn't seem to up beat that Mazda that much. Why ?????
  • Options
    I am assuming Vancouver BC? With all the construction, detours, and foot traffic, etc etc. 25 mpg would indicate a very rough urban environment indeed (from a cars perspective anyway). Not too long ago (1 month) I spent app 1 weeks time and did around town driving. Since diesel fuel was $4.00 (US) per gal, I fueled in Portland Oregon (VW Jetta TDI) I would swag -2 mpg off the normal 38-42 mpg I now get (2004 Civic) Is that garbage strike over yet?

I would not disconnect the battery to do a reset. It will NOT help fuel economy at all.
  • Options
    chickennoodlechickennoodle Member Posts: 2
    In fact, my daily route is quite a smooth ride that is why I have a big question regarding the mpg.
    The garbage strike is over a while ago. Since we never have the sub-prime situation here, Vancouver still the best city to live.
  • Options
    I would swag that you drive smoothly under (for the vehicle anyway) tough urban conditions. So I am thinking it is a combination of (normally tough) conditions and the way you drive (being the greatest variable) , given those conditions and your perceptions. The numbers say the scenarios are tougher than you perceive.
  • Options
    So for example while driving in Vancouver BC traffic (with NON BC plates obviously) folks consistently passed me, to so called get in front of the dawdling tourist and leave him FAR behind. Sure I could SEE the next stop light/sign; but they really had no excuse as they probably KNEW better than me: they were coming to the next stop light/sign.!!?? :) I am sure they didn't like it too much as I consistently stopped behind the "racers" The reality turned out to be jockeying for position (ONLY). I was just a good excuse.
  • Options
    mjstenmjsten Member Posts: 17
    I have a 08 civic ex. after 2000 miles am averaging 28mpg. 85% hiway mainly rolling blacktop hiways.
    any thoughts?? am disappointed so far
  • Options
    2004 Civic 54,000 miles. The 54 mile daily commute takes between 40-90 mins, depending on usually "RUSH hour", accidents, tie ups, etc. It is considered by transportation experts to be one of the most congested and (not) coincidently some of the worst roads in the NATION. Didn't do the commute today, but just filled up after 16 mile R/T to the gas station, in the equivalent of a rolling parking lot, complete with a mile long train,train crossing wait. Fuel station was 8 deep in cars for my pump. Got 41.85 mpg.

Fire away ,all set to compare and contrast.
  • Options
    ras314ras314 Member Posts: 43
    Don't know if any difference in 07 or 08, but I would be disappointed too. With a manual LX I typically see 40 + at steady 65 mph speeds on mostly level hwys, can drop lower at higher speeds, head winds, rough hwy surface ect.
  • Options
    My civic is auto, and the terrain is rolling hills. maintain 55 to 60 normally with the tach under 2000 rpm. Three stops along a 15 mile route one wayAm going to ask the dealership, but am planning on the response being that it is my driving and not theauto.
  • Options
    Well for sure, I would be one to say get your vehicle "tested" on the remote chance the issue is mechanical.

Just as a heads up, auto here also, 55-60 mph at under 2,000 rpms, logically would yield better mpg than my 0-80 mph commute as I have described. (no RPM gauge) but judging from other cars which have rpm gauges, my rpms are all over the band width. I am swagging 900 to 3-4k rpms. Indeed on today's trip to the gas station, I was passed by a Highway Patrol car (no codes) while I accelerated to 75 mph!
    So my fuel mileage management really is making sure I am not hit in dense traffic by merging or exiting cars, suv's, trucks, buses and severe overl and wide loads, and of course do not cause an accident by rear ending some car coming to a mad stop.
  • Options
    4,000 mile update for me:

Pretty much every tank has come in between 34-36mpg. Driving conditions vary as I travel all over, not just one route. Doesn't seem to be a huge difference between running 70ish and 80ish, I just try to keep the tach out of the "holy-crap" zone...like 6,000rpms or more on a regular basis. I idle very little and when I drive in town I use a lot of alleys and whatnot to avoid the lights.

No major problems to report. A couple rattles in the door and a rather annoying buzz in the ceiling behind the sunroof. If I push up on the ceiling it stops but that's the only way to make it stop.

Steering feel kinda sucks on this thing. A little jumpy at highway speeds and not heavy enough for my liking.

This car just doesn't encourage you to drive fast. It sheds speed easily and I'm generally having to get on the gas pretty hard to keep moving along in the hills and such. Probably better for mpg....but coming out of a diesel jetta that would get away from you very easily.....it's a culture shock.

Seat comfort is mediocre at best, no good armrests to speak of.

The trunk lid has swing-down arms. Holy crap I didn't think anyone used those anymore so I had boxes stacked in my backseat.

Big plus though, you get a lot of fairly refined vehicle for little money and it shouldn't depreciate much in the short term. Exactly what I needed.

Hey Ruking....just hope you don't get rear-ended as it throws those long-term vehicle plans right out the window! I'd much rather be racking the miles up on my Jetta but oh well, such is luck.
  • Options
    For folks that dont go farther back, Sebring's diesel got hurt enough for the insurance company to "total" it- off the road! :( .

However, I am glad to hear the Honda is doing well for you!!
  • Options
    "Three stops along a 15 mile route one way". If this is most of your mileage you can expect much lower than steady hwy gas mileage. My short route includes a 7 mile mostly uphill section and I usually see around 30 mpg during it, little traffic and one stop sign. We do not have a regular traffic light in the entire county. :)

A lot of stops and starts will significantly reduce gas mileage. I usually run the rpm's 2000 to 3000 to keep from lugging the engine on hills.
  • Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    " My short route includes a 7 mile mostly uphill"

Huh? :confuse:
  • Options
    7 miles one way to town, return is about 600 ft higher elevation with some ups and downs along the way. I usually show 50 mpg or more on the ScanGauge II downhill headed to town, much less coming back, of course. If I want to "cheat" I can take the manual out of gear on the downgrades and get some really good readings if I think the local law is absent.

As an off topic I sometimes ride a bicycle the same trip. Takes 30 min going down, and up to 2 hours coming back. :sick:
  • Options
    Thanks !

I have a similar commute, but the steep grade is only about a mile long. Several stop signs, traffic lights and road changes. About 7 miles each way and takes 20-25 minutes.

Little opportunity to get much over 45 mph., and most of it is 25-35. I've often thought how and all electric or maybe a 2 cylinder car, capable of 50mph, could well serve my commute purposes. (Honda could do that!)

Not far from us is "Peachtree City" Ga.. It has near 100 miles of golf car trails. Accessible to every sub-division, schools, every shopping and industrial area. In other words a golf car can go most anywhere without having to actually be on the roads, except to cross one occasionally. At the local high school, the golf car parking area is huge and full and likely holds as many golf cars as the regular lot holds cars. .

Lots of cars are NOT on the road. Lots of pollutants NOT in the air and lots of gas NOT being purchased. Seems like a great idea to me!

Of course as the idea gets more popular, I recon they will have to 4 lane em, install traffic lights and such! :)

Kip
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I have a 08 civic ex. after 2000 miles am averaging 28mpg. 85% hiway mainly rolling blacktop hiways.
    any thoughts?? am disappointed so far

I have a thought or two. My dad has a 2007 Civic Auto. He got 32MPG last time he took a highway trip. I thought it was low until he told me how quickly he got home from the beach (He had to have averaged over 80-85MPH). Driven slower (70 or so) the car has returned 37-38MPG in the past (and he's not really smooth at driving).

How fast are you driving on the freeway? Where do you live (hilly/flat)? How much traffic do you see? How are you calculating mileage?
  • Options
    Good Post! :)
  • Options
    My commute is gentle rolling hills, no major change in elevation.
    I travel at around 55 to 60 MPH on the commute. Only three stops, probably 70 % of my miles per week.
    When I am on the freeway, stay at about 70, but that is only about 15% of my weekly miles.
    I use the same station, the same pump and ususally run 250 miles per week.
    Interestingly enough, I spoke with two of my local dealer service reps and was told that all I could expect is 32 to 34 and that is high, real world 28 to 30.
    Still, disappointing as I downsized from an accord strctly to get the mileage increase.
  • Options
    tinadogtinadog Member Posts: 1
    50.3 mpg.
    1500 miles to date.
    90% highway.
    60 mph limit.
    No a/c usage.
    No severe weather.
    Paid $22250 + Tax/Title/License fees.
    $2100 tax credit
    I will have pretty quick payback at this rate (driving 32K/yr.).
  • Options
    32k miles per year is a pretty good clip!

I, for one would be interested in your 80-200k miles experiences. All the best!!
  • Options
    Paid $22250 + Tax/Title/License fees.
    $2100 tax credit

How much more was this car compared to one with the same equipment and 1.8L engine?

Thanks,
    Kip
  • Options
    40beast0740beast07 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have been looking into getting a civic SI for some time now. However, with the way gas prices are going I would like a car that is also very economical. I live in the mountains, and very rarely drive on flat ground. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the MPG that they get driving in the mountains in an SI?

Thanks!
  • Options
    kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    Especially with the Si, it depends greatly on how you drive... I drive mostly fairly economically, with occasional bursts into the fun that really is the Si. As for mileage, I've normally averaged about 31-32 mpg overall. I've actually been up in the mountains of Colorado for the last week, and have averaged just less than that, maybe about 29-30 mpg. That does take into account that it's been about 60/40 hwy/city driving, so it might be a little different for your conditions.

My one caution is that very unfortunately, the Si has a desperate lack of torque, and if I have more than 2 people in the car, I can't maintain highway speeds (60+) in 6th gear. The others are fine, but I just end up having to switch between 5th/6th somewhat often to maintain my speed. Driving is still fine, but the "higher" rpms (4k-4.5k as opposed to the 2.5k-3.5k I normally drive at) in 5th gear hurts mileage a little bit.
  • Options
    Yes I would agree, the only two vehicles I have been happy with (@ say 3,000-7,000 feet) has been a Z06 Corvette, or VW Jetta TDI. While I can not speak from experience, it would make logical sense a gasser turbo engine would do better over a normall aspirated gasser engine.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "While I can not speak from experience, it would make logical sense a gasser turbo engine would do better over a normall aspirated gasser engine."

I can speak from experience and the difference has to be experienced to be believed. The only problem I had was that the crap gasoline that they sell in the mountains is not turbo friendly and caused the electronics in the ignition system to constantly have to step in and retard the ignition timing to keep the engine from blowing up. :(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    Probably true. I can't afford a turbo for right now, so I'm going to at least be adding a cold air intake to my Si soon... I've heard that it can at least give a 5-10% increase in torque, plus an extra 10-15 horses...
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Be very careful with those aftermarket CAI intakes, I've seen any number of folks who've added them and then seen drops in power and torque (via before and after dyno tests).

The other alarmingly common issue with CAIs is that I've read dozens of accounts where cars fitted with CAIs injested water causing a "hydrolock" condition that destroys the engine in a single revolution.

I'm thinking that you couldn't pay me to fit a CAI on any 8th generation Civic given all of the problems that I've read about.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I also would stay FAR away from any cold air intake systems, especially one that uses mineral oil as part of the filtration media. Indeed if you are in the mountains which experience snow and snow drifts, hydro lock can indeed be an issue.
  • Options
    Historically, I've always trended toward averaging the EPA numbers on my vehicles. Except the Hondas/Acuras. Not sure what the difference is, but that's been my experience anyway. Our '05 Odyssey never came close to the EPA numbers (20/28) in the same use that our Tahoe always beat its EPA numbers (14/18). Same for the Acura TL used by an employee (20-29).

Anyway, my '07 Civic (30-40) sits right around 35mpg when used mainly for highway traveling. I've had a couple tanks recently where I've only driven around town and have been averaging around 27mpg. My "town" driving is nothing like "city" driving as we live in a rural area. I drive 8 miles to town on a 55mph road (hilly and curvy though) and might hit two or three fairly quick traffic lights to get where I'm going.

Either way, it appears the '08 EPA numbers for both my Odyssey and Civic are much closer. 17/25 for the Odyssey and 25-36 for the Civic are about right on from what I can tell. So realistically it would seem I would be beating the pants off of some non-honda '08 models. The Pontiac G6 rental I had when my Jetta got hit was averaging 32mpg which was one shy of its highway rating. The '08 G6 is now rated 30mpg highway. Seems weird. Any idea why the Hondas don't seem to do better in real world? I always marked up my Odyssey as not hitting the EPA numbers because of the VCM, but really the Civic isn't much better in the scheme of things.

One other question (since the other Honda forums are dead here)....anyone have cold-start problems? Mine seems studder a bit on cold starts. It reminds me of starting my previous diesel when it was 0°F. It usually starts, but stutters for a few seconds before catching and idling normal. I've seen high performance engines do this so I know it can be a characteristic, but wasn't sure. Haven't had a normal gasser do anything like this, but thought I'd ask. It's not really a problem, unless it gets worse I suppose.
  • Options
    Some of the Civics are getting 40 or better on road trips. Load, terrain, driving style, gas formulas all contribute to fuel mileage.

My wife gets 3-4 mpg less than I do in the same type driving with the same vehicle.
    She doesn't speed, she simply waits a lot longer before letting her foot off the gas before an up coming stop, then having to use a lot of brake. She tends to follow closer than I do and thus has more gas, brake, gas brake...! I ease away from a stop, she jumps away from one.

On the road where I pass someone, she PASSES them. If cruise is not set and she discovers she is loosing some speed, she will accelerate back up to the original speed while still going up hill, where I try to stabelize the speed and gain it back going down the next or on a flat.

If we drive a 4 or 6 cylinder car so that we get the same seat of the pants acceleration feel as driving a V8, the mileage will suffer.

It is both the big and the little things that add up to poor mileage.

With my 4wd Pilot I've gotten 18 mpg on a trip and got 27 on the return trip the very next day with the same load and virtually the weather conditions. The difference was how the car was driven and the speed.

Kip
  • Options
    will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    It's been in the single digits in the morning here in Wisconsin this past week and I've noticed a little stutter when starting. I was a little surprised since my last car(99 Golf) only stuttered when it was like 20 below.

I also noticed that as the car shifted into 2nd when it was cold it made a weird whirring noise but it hasn't happened again. Just chalked it up to all the other things that happen when it's super cold, like all the dang creaks and pops in the dash. Anyone notice that yet? Sounds so cheap.
  • Options
    Your responses all make sense, which is why I was comparing only MY vehicles. All driven in similar conditions, roads, drivers, etc. With my typical driving, I've historically trended well toward the highway ratings on other vehicles. When doing long-range highway driving I typically exceed the highway numbers. For example, our Tahoe on long family trips (moderate loads, usually 70mph speeds) would average 20-21mpg with usually nothing more than fuel stops. That's 3mpg above the EPA highway rating. My Odyssey driven similarly has never topped 25mpg and usually averages 23-24mpg on these long highway trips. 3-4mpg BELOW the epa rating, but much closer to the now revised '08 numbers. The Acura TL will hit 27mpg on long highway trips (2mpg less than EPA rating) yet the Camry V6 it replaced would hit 30-31mpg on long trips (rated 28mpg IIRC). It just always seemed like Honda's had rather impressive EPA ratings compared to others, yet this never in my case did more than match other vehicles.
  • Options
    I don't have any creaks and bumps but have a terrible buzzing coming from behind the sunroof on certain roads. Which is about 3" from my ear..........

The dash/door materials and fit/finish is pretty good though. Better than our nearly twice as expensive Odyssey for sure.
  • Options
    In case some don't know it, other vehicles' EPA ratings dropped significantly too, in some cases. Toyota Corolla - 37mpg now instead of 41; that's just one example.

I, for one, do better than EPA in my 4-cyl Accord. My dad, in a car that was mechanically identical (just one year older), always got numbers LOWER than EPA, but drove the car a lot harder.

They've basically updated EPA ratings to match a heavier-footed driving style.
  • Options
    dgecho1dgecho1 Member Posts: 49
    I have been driving some real EPA test style conditions here in central FL for temp and flat terrain and light load....mostly highway and right at 55 mph...I went to the 'E' light on this tnl at 445 miles....what are some other folks getting??

Thanks, Don
  • Options
    So how much fuel did you take after the E light went on? My stated capacity is 13.2 g al. when the E light goes on....and when I chose to fill I take on usually 10-10.5 gal.
  • Options
    I hope you actually calculated your mileage when you fill(ed) up, because using the gauge/warning lights is not an accurate measure. Let us know! :)
  • Options
    I am also interested in fuel left when the "E" light comes on. I put in 10.7 gal (till the first pump click off) the one time I've run a tank that far, but it had been on a short time first.

Used to run a car till it quit to tell what the gauge read at empty. Then fill till it overran to tell how much gas it really held. I will hasten to add neither is a good idea with todays vehicles and may actually lead to damage.
  • Options
    I understand, but essentially that renders your original question unanswerable.
  • Options
    I've never put more than 10.8 gallons in, and that was about 25 miles after the light came on.

Those of you with automatics.....did you know you can start the tranny in 2nd gear? I was monkeying with it the other day when I got stuck in a snow storm (i give it a thumbs down for snow performance btw) and if you shift to 1st and then back upto 2nd it will start in 2nd. I've had other vehicles that did this so I gave it a whirl. Good for starting out in slippery conditions. Sucks my Odyssey won't do that because it has a jumpy pedal.
  • Options
    Yes I think that lamp/buzzer is like the " border in the sand" so to speak. It can be used (once known) as sort of a mental sign post: " I got xxx (3) gals left and if I am getting between yyy (38-42 mpg) I got zzz (114-126) miles left to go, with a wee wee left ,(.2 gals, 7.6 to 8.4 miles- aka, quit playing with it) and gas UP already!! " :)
  • Options
    novanova Member Posts: 135
    I only have 550 miles on my car. I have filled up twice 90 % highway 30 /31 miles per gal.I don't make it a habit to see how low the gas gauge will go.I would like to see those mpg's go a little higher. I saw $2 96 per gallon at Cosco today so I filled up .South FL.