Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Negotiate lease returns

jarkjark Member Posts: 91
edited July 2017 in Kia
In 4 months I have a lease ending. I'm expecting to incur some wear and tear charges and new tires charges. Is it reasonable to ask a dealer to absorb all the costs when negotiating my new car? Does it matter if I switch manufacturers? (I have a Kia but would like to get into a Vw.). Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    *i would like to make an offer and tell them if they take my car as is, they have a deal.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You can throw whatever you want into the negotiation. The bottom line is what you pay, and this "take price" is what you should focus on. You can mention the wear and tear charge, or you can just pay it and then lower your offer accordingly. You can be sure that the dealer, if he "absorbs" the wear and tear charge, will fudge the numbers on the final deal so as not to get hurt. On the other hand, a good deal is a good deal, no matter how you arrive at it.

Mixing all these things together in the deal might serve you or hurt you. You have to keep your eye on what you want to pay for the car---whatever that number is.

If you can't walk away, you can't negotiate effectively.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    jark said:

In 4 months I have a lease ending. I'm expecting to incur some wear and tear charges and new tires charges. Is it reasonable to ask a dealer to absorb all the costs when negotiating my new car? Does it matter if I switch manufacturers? (I have a Kia but would like to get into a Vw.). Any advice would be helpful.

I just went through this a few months ago. I had a Hyundai Elantra on lease. I was almost 5,000 miles over the allowed mileage, and I had a nasty gash in my rear bumper.

Went to the VW dealer and made a deal to lease a new Jetta - between the 2 payments left on the Hyundai, the mileage and the damage, I figured it was about $2000 total owed. Dealer and I agreed to split the difference - they paid off my lease, and they added $1000 to the negotiated price of the Jetta to compensate.

I walked out with a payment that was about $4/mo more than my Hyundai payment. Only wrote a check for the first lease payment on the Jetta - everything else was rolled into the payment.

Tremendously easy deal. Love my VW.

You should be able to do the same, if you find the right dealer.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Thanks for the responses! Hoping to do the same as you @Michaell.
  • Options
    jark said:

Thanks for the responses! Hoping to do the same as you @Michaell.

With all the issues VW is having lately, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a dealer willing to work with you.

I picked up a leftover 2016 Jetta SE; not sure how much 2016 inventory is left, but the 2017's are leasing pretty well at the moment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    Tried to strike a similar deal here in Los Angeles. They wouldn't budge on splitting the difference with me. They offered one payment but I had to return the car. @michaell just curious, did they take possession of your car or did they just knock off their portion of the remaining balance from the price and have you return the car?
  • Options
    jark said:

Tried to strike a similar deal here in Los Angeles. They wouldn't budge on splitting the difference with me. They offered one payment but I had to return the car. @michaell just curious, did they take possession of your car or did they just knock off their portion of the remaining balance from the price and have you return the car?

They ended up taking my car in trade.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator