Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I am curious: with this policy of sticking close to MSRP on the Sonata, vs. discounts on Accords and Camrys, are your local Hyundai dealers selling many Sonatas? Also, how can the dealers stick close to MSRP when there are big rebates available on the Sonata? Are they charging over list price?

I can see that for the same money out the door, the Accord or Camry would have a big advantage in the first several years of depreciation. Then it would come down to, how long are you going to own the car, and which do you like driving better. The Sonata is very compelling at $16k (4-cylinder GLS). At $20k, it begins to lose its luster vs. the Accord, and soon the all-new Camry.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Numbers of posts in any discussion are statistically completely irrelevant whether you are talking a Problems discussion or a "happy" discussion or any discussion at all.

You cannot assume that a) the people who choose to post on message boards such as this are statistically representative of owners as a whole, nor that b) the numbers of posts closely represent the topic itself. One person can make 10, 20, 50 or more posts about one single problem over the course of time (I've seen it happen), and there can be all kinds of "happy" posts refuting one problem post in a P&S discussion. The reverse is also true in the "happy" discussions.

I sure like that term - "happy" discussion. :D
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Actually in meeting the public everyday, the largest percentage -by a lot -wants nothing flashy nor high performance. It certainly isnt the whole market by a long shot as evidenced by the success of the 300M. But what HonYota has discovered is that the majority of the US market wants dependability, reliability and NO flash and dazzle.

It's amazing to me that so many people demand only the most basic of models; e.g. 50% of our current and incoming inventory is the standard Camry ( no power seat, no keyless and a donut spare ) or the most basic LE 4c with only mats.

In addition well over 90% of all HonYota's are 4c also. Performance? 'Not for me. I just want to turn it on everyday for 10 years and not have to sink anyhing into it'. As a result the Camry continues to grow in numbers as does it's boring little brother.

For the auto enthusiast this is akin to heresy but it is innovative. They did in fact follow up on the Taurus that was so successful in the 80's in satisfying a basic need in the US market. But Ford lost its way and HonYota stepped and took the idea to a different level with high quality vanilla. And the result is that it makes them tons of money in the process.

As another poster stated tho there may be stirrings afoot as the new models come out that are more stylish and probably just as dependable. Will these along with the new HonYota Hybrids capture even more of the mainstream market.

Agree? Disagree? Dont Care? ;)

kdhspyder
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    That was kind of my point. Happy discussions...What a concept! ;)
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    It's amazing to me that so many people demand only the most basic of models; e.g. 50% of our current and incoming inventory is the standard Camry ( no power seat, no keyless and a donut spare ) or the most basic LE 4c with only mats.

That may be due to the buyers being on a budget, trying to keep the price affordable to them. They are probably sold on Toy's reputation. If they look/test drive a Sonata, they may be pleasantly surprized. I was. Bought an '05 Sonata in April for several thousand less than a Hon/Toy would have cost, comparably equipped.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    a happy-face Ford Fusion at your local dealer that wants to be your friend. Your American friend, ready to take on the big 'ole Asian boys, including Hyundai. Actually, there's no reason to get so heated over whether or not your '06 Hyundai Sonata is better than your buddy's Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

The new '06 Ford Fusion is for real and it's gonna make an impact on the car-buying scene once the rest of America finally discovers what it is and what powers it and how well it will hold up. You see, there's a lot of American buyers, particularly in the staunchly Detroit-fed Midwest, that will buy it because it is the American answer to the CamCord machine.

Both the Sonata and the Fusion are far better choices than the boring, mundane CamCord's. What's so very cool is that they will both hold up fine for you and will last for the long haul. Notice I didn't capitalize the Long-Haul Warranty because Ford is included in my argument against becoming another mundane CamCord purchaser?

Buy a Fusion or a Sonata for a brighter, better tomorrow. Do it without worrying about whether or not it's a "better" car than the CamCord twins. The Fusion/Sonata is a better combination, a combination with a better, brighter future. I guarantee it. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    I believe you are 100% correct. The other demands in a household budget override a desire for style or performance in most buyers.
  • Options
    1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    "I'd rather buy something knowing it won't break, not because when it breaks I have a warranty."

What vehicle can you buy "knowing it won't break"? Please let me know so when I go to buy my new vehicle this spring, I can put it at the top of my list. Seriously though, new cars are so complicated with computers, gadgets, outsourced parts, reduced cost materials, etc... that you are foolish to think you can buy a new Hyundai/BMW/Honda/Kia/Toyota and it "won't break".

I have owned Ford, Dodge, Honda, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi vehicles. All of them have performed pretty much the same in terms of the average # of problems over the first 70,000 miles (that is the guage I am using, because our Hyundai has 70K on it now). The only difference I have seen with the different brands is how the warranty issues were handled by the dealers. I can give specific details of problems and how they were handled if anyone cares, but the Mitsubishi service dept has treated me the best, followed by the Hyundai dealer, then Ford and Honda were pretty much a tie with Dodge coming in last.
  • Options
    So what do you think the public's response would be if they could get a Camry LE with SABs/SACs, VSC, woodgrain trim, and alloys for under $18,000? Do you think they would flock to that or still go for the base model with mats?
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    probably the base model if it was cheaper!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Finally realized what car the Sonota reminds me of: an Audi A8, especially the shape of the rear end/tail lights.

I don't know how to post pictures, but if some enterprising soul could post pics of each, you would agree I'm sure!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    In my town, the base model costs about $18,000 after rebate and discounts.
  • Options
    It should remind you of an Audi. That's what Hyundai used as inspiration for the exterior. Good choice, I think. :)
  • Options
    If you compare the 06 Sonata, I think you will find a stunning rear-resemblence with the 2003-2004 Accords, especially in the taillight design. I'm not sure about the Audi A8, as they don't even share taillight similarities. The Hyundai has a slightly sloping trunk (in profile shot from Hyundai USA website) while the Audi A8 looks thicker and more substantial. PLEASE NOTE THAT I'M NOT PICKING ON THE HYUNDAI, because I think the Hyundai is the prettier car, honestly. The A8 looks a little too bland for my tastes; it doesen't strike me as a $75,000 automobile.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    The NHTSA side impact test is a joke. Even though head injury measures are recorded, they do not figure in the "star" ratings. Rather, only torso and pelvic injury measures count. So unless a vehicle earns only 1 or 2 stars in the NHTSA tests, I wouldn't rule it out from purchase.

So I wouldn't buy an '06 Sonata to replace an '05 Accord on the basis of 5 stars vs. 4. Wait for the IIHS side impact test results instead -- they're a lot more meaningful.
  • Options
    Other than the fact that the '06 Sonata has horizontally-oriented tailights, like the 2003-2005 Accords, what other stunning resemblence do you see to the Accord? Have you seen the tailights of the new Lexus GS and IS? Do they remind you of those from any other car? (hint hint)
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Reading your post it is hard to comprehend whether you are being serious or sarcastic. But if you are serious what exactly does the Fusion have that the Camry and Accord lacks ? 1)Better build quality- nope 2) Better long term reliability- jury is still out but unlikely 3) Class leading powerplant - can anyone say repackaged Mazda6? 4) Better price - probably since that is the only way Ford will be able to stay in the competition. 4) Better looks - highly subjective but IMHO it is not better looking than the CAMCORDS. Everybody thought GM will gain back market share with the Cadillac CTS, STS, Buick LaCrosse, Chevy Malibu etc but that quite didn't pan out. I think the FUSION will sell Ok but like the Malibu I don't think HONDA and TOYOTA has too much to worry about. I just hope it does better than the sorry FORD 500.
  • Options
    Yep.. as stickguy said there would be a large number of buyers who'd ask to remove all the A/B, CD, PW+L , Pwr Seat and Keyless Entry and want the vehilcle for under $15000.

kdhspyder
  • Options
    That sounds a lot like the Accord DX. Honda killed that trim line for '06. I think I've seen one or two of those on the roads the past few years. It seems a mid-sized 4-door sedan w/o power windows and locks didn't sell very well. I know I wouldn't buy one equipped that way.
  • Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    'Both the Sonata and the Fusion are far better choices than the boring, mundane CamCord's'

Could you please enlighten me as to how a Sonata is more exciting than an Accord? Have you ever driven an accord? Do you know what steering feel means?
  • Options
    LOL.. Back by popular demand... 'Yota now has the standard Camry with PW/PL, CD and AC but NO Keyless, NO power driver's seat and only a donut spare.... 50% of our entire Camry inventory here and intransit is this model. Another 20-25% is a base 4c LE with just mats.
  • Options
    I dont see anything about the Accord OR Hyundai that stands out as resembling each other, just the fact that it has that "car" shape. The taillamps are the most obvious feature of the rear of the car. What resemblence do you see connecting it with the blander Audi?
  • Options
    pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    I actually met a real-live person this week who had an '06 Sonata as a rental, and owns an '05 Accord.

He said that the driving experience between the two cars was actually pretty similar. He was impressed with the Sonata.

I thought the exterior of the car was pretty neat; it was bland for my tastes, but MUCH better looking than Hyundais of old.

The interior, not so much. It would be unfair to compare it to my Maxima, but let me say that the Ford Fusion's interior is MUCH more impressive. The interior of the Hyundai was still a bit cheap.. also, though, keep in mind that I really don't like Toyota or Honda interiors that much either (Acura/Lexus interiors are a different story).

If I were in the market for a car costing in the high teens/early 20s, I would be shopping Altima and Fusion. No contest.
  • Options
    The biggest link to the Audi is the roofline; the overall shape with smooth lines is another clue, but less direct.
  • Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    There is no comparison of an Accord interior to a Fusion interior. Even though at first glance the Fusion's looks good, as soon as you touch and operate controls, you feel the difference. Also, what's with that parts bin music sytem interface? Can't Ford design a new interfce for a new car? And then they cry they are losing money. Bill Ford said the other day they are closing a lot of plants. No wonder. Its called Product, Product, Product! Not 'car this year, engine two years later' (Ford 500)
  • Options
    godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    You would, huh? Well, I've been shopping that market for several weeks. Try finding an Altima at that price with side air bags and the Fusion, well, it's a Ford and it's a 1st year model = problems, more than likely. Plus the Fusion 4 cyl engine is rather pokey, compared to Honda/Toyota. Oh, the Alty 4 cyl not nearly as smooth as the Accord/Toyota either (have test-driven all of them). No thanks, the Honda LX will do nicely for around $20K. You want more power and the standard safety features, you're up to $25K in a heartbeat for both the Altima and the Fusion. Then, I'll buy the Honda EX V6..... You're right though, no contest! ;)
  • Options
    Can't Ford design a new interfce for a new car? And then they cry they are losing money.

Um... don't you think the two are related? New audio systems cost money to design and build. It's way cheaper to use the same system across multiple car lines. What is wrong with using the same audio system on multiple vehicles, as long as the unit is a good one? It's not like the audio system interface on the Accord is the easiest to navigate.
  • Options
    suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    Well Im usually over the "Lexus IS 250 and 350" and "Lexus IS vs. BWM 3-

Series" but I would choose a Camry out of the rest. FORGET FORD

(except for their trucks) I WOULD NEVER EVER BUY ONE. AND WHAT IS

HYUNDAI???? LOL Camry I really like them but they should do something about

the exterior (its not ugly or anything but look alittle too wide-ish) which I've seen

the 07' models which doesnt look that bad! They every good in gas hands down! (

dont like hybrids at all very geeky in my opinion but the Lexus RX 400h is nice)

But if I wasnt planning to buy the 2006 Lexus IS 350 I would buy the 07' Camry for

sure! Wouldnt mind spending 35K on it (If it even goes that high)!! Honda Accords

are OK but I like civic though maybe because I have one that is all tuned up like

one that you would see in "The Fast and The Furious"!!!!! Peace Out! ;)
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    a post that is really easy to ignore. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jason25jason25 Member Posts: 8
    When it comes to overall value, the Sonata just seems unbeatable. Heated leather seats, power moonroof, 17" alloys, and a 235 horse V6 for under $25k is pretty sweet. To be honest, though, if price were no concern I would more than likely choose an Accord because of its sportier personality and flawless interior. But the fact of the matter is: price IS a concern. I cannot afford to spend near $30k on a car right now. I know that an Accord can be had with a V6 for around $25k, but after being spoiled by leather for so long, I refuse to go back to cloth (that automatically hikes the price up to around $28k for leather). So if I were in the market for a family sedan, the Sonata would definitely be my top pick because it doesn't give up that much as an overall product to the Accord. The Accord/Camry may be better, but not by $3,000! ;)
  • Options
    because it's excessively bland looking. I know, I know...looks are so very, very subjective. Yukko! That thing is nasty looking, so mundane.

The '06 Ford Fusion and '06 Hyundai Sonata blow both the Camry and Accord away.

No, I've never driven an Accord, probably never will. Yes, I know, never is a long, long time.

I have driven an '05 Toyota Camry and I did like it. If the Honda Accord drives like the Toyota Camry I would probably like it, but I won't ever drive a Honda Accord because it looks so dull. I could care less if it even held 88% of it's value after 10 years! No kidding.

It's more important to me that a manufacturer exercises nice design integrity when forming it's rig's body panels and join areas.Toyota and Honda could learn truckloads of knowledge by studying superior Hyundai and American Ford Motor Company in this area.

Every new model year I look at the new Civic and Accord and wonder what they were not smoking! Not what they were smoking! Imagine that! :D Not that I endorse smoking of any kind.

Once again, the only viable choices are the 2006 Ford Fusion and the 2006 Hyundai Sonata, not necessarily in that order, man.

• Options
    While I like the Sonata I absolutely hate the Fusion. Looks butt ugly with an underpowered unrefined and somewhat antiquated Duratec V6. Is this best Ford can do. I am sure Toyota is laughing at FORD Motor Company right now. The next generation Camry will blow the doors off of the FUSION.
  • Options
    sn2sn2 Member Posts: 2
    hers my feeling.I dont think there is a substantial difference in quality between most brands. I have been thru 2 Hyundais -an Elantra which I leased for 4 y without a single problem and then a sonata which I had for 6 yrs till it was totalled-without any problems..I noe have a honda Odessey which has had to go for a transmission change after 30000 miles
  • Options
    This website is so addictive. I like to spend more time here than with my wife :P
    Great job guys
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    No, I've never driven an Accord, probably never will. Yes, I know, never is a long, long time
    Then you shouldn't say "The Accord loses"

Unless... you can tell how a car feels inside and drives by looking at it ;)
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Yea sure. Hyundai and Ford blows away camCord. You're right and millions of satisfied customers are wrong.

You can put lipstick on a pig..........

Never seen so much Camcord envy.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The next generation Camry will blow the doors off of the FUSION.

We'll have to wait and see if that happens but I don't agree given what we know now. The next Camry will follow the past models whereas 70%+ of them will be sold with the I4. Ford is expecting 60%+ of all Fusions to be sold with the V6. Given those facts, a Fusion is going to win most stoplight races vs the current Camry or the next one.

Then we have the rumored SVT and ST Fusions. The ST will supposedly get the Duratec35 with somewhere around 250 HP. The SVT is supposedly getting the MAZDASPEED Mazda6 direct injection turbo Duratec23. 270+ HP with that one. Plus AWD and SVT tuned handling that Toyota can only DREAM about ever achieving in a mass market sedan. I bet the SVT will be priced right around a loaded V6 Camry too.

By then I'll own a 2007 Mustang GT so you can all kiss my tail lights because that's all you'll see! :P

Looks butt ugly with an underpowered unrefined and somewhat antiquated Duratec V6.

How is it underpowered? Sure it has fewer horses and ft-lbs than the others but it's no slouch. Like I said above, the majority of Fusions will be better than the majority of CamCords on the road. Ford was smart if you ask me. They essentially bettered all of the competition by making the V6 more affordable, or as affordable as the others' I4s. Their SE models, ST and SVT, will take care of the rest of the shoppers who want balls to the wall performance. That's something they won't get from the competition. Ford's timing with the SE's will be the real issue if you ask me.
  • Options
    Never seen so much Camcord envy.

I think it's more like CamCord nausea for some of us. :sick: ;)
  • Options
    They essentially bettered all of the competition by making the V6 more affordable, or as affordable as the others' I4s.

The Fusion V6 may be priced lower than the Accord and Camry V6s, but the Sonata V6 undercuts the Fusion by quite a bit, with similar equipment:

Fusion: list $22,955, less $500 rebate (there might be a $500 FMAC rebate also)
    Sonata: list $21,495, less $1500 in rebates ($2500 for Hyundai owners--who says it doesn't pay to own a Hyundai? :) )

As for the comment about millions of Camcord owners can't be wrong... they never had the choice of buying a Fusion, or '06 Sonata. I see tons of Malibus and Malibu Maxxes out there, and that car doesn't seem as good as the Fusion. Now that Ford has a competitive mid-sized car, I think it will find a wide audience.
  • Options
    is the American brand name offering a valid competitor. I happen to like the Ford Fusion's looks, though the rear end is sort of block-chunk plain. The front end looks good with that chrome treatment going on. Looks smart and sporty and good.

Also, Ford is smart to not overprice the Fusion. They will start selling a decent chunk of these and, who knows, sales may even take off like they did on the Taurus. My first choice is the hard-to-beat value of the Hyundai Sonata, but the Fusion isn't a distant second by any stretch. The mundane looking CamCordians are weak, their sauce is thin and old. Just happens to be the truth, boys. Weak sauce.

• Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I guess you need to tell the millions of CamCord buyers that they shouldn't buy their steaks - that they should try the Hyundai hamburger.

Talk is cheap. The CamCord legacy will always have wannabes slinging mud in their direction. Own one and you'll understand the reason people want em.

We don't want to take a chance on an unproven lookalike.
  • Options
    Most of the "mudslinging" going on here seems to be from the Camcord fans. They seem to have a problem with anyone who likes another car. You love your Camcords, that's great. They are fine cars. But there's other good choices out there now. Doesn't hurt to look at all the options before plunking down your hard-earned money.
  • Options
    This actually is the very problem GM, Ford and DCX have in understanding the US market. Yours ( and theirs apparently ) is that the US market wants Balls to the Walls NASCAR performance. And for a specific segment you are right. But the VAST majority do NOT want performance at all. Just the opposite, for 15 years the public has been voting with their feet AWAY from V6's to efficient 4c.

Actually your figure of 70% of CamCords being 4c is WAY low... it's 90+%.

What are the top 8 vehicles sold in the US market now. Hint: 1, 2 and 4 are trucks. ;) . see below

If they continue pushing something the market doesnt want the domestic makers will miss another opportunity if the Fusion and Malibu dont turn things around quickly.

Answ:
    1 F150
    2 Silverado
    3 Camry 90% 4c
    4 Ram
    5 Accord 90% 4c
    6 Corolla 100% 4c
    7 Civic 100% 4c
    8 Altima 90% 4c

see a trend? Plain vanilla sells.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Maybe the Toy/Hon 6 cyls are over priiced since they sell mostly 4 cyls.

Otherwise, how to explain the "fuel effecient" F150, Silverado & Ram popularity? How to explain all the SUV's in the last 10 years?

Another good reason for people to consider the Sonata when shopping for a new car; get 6 cyl reliability & performance for less than the price of Toy/Hon 4 cyl.

Don't 6 cyl run more smoothly that 4 cyl? I don't know about today's cars, but 6's have been better than 4's for the last 20 or so years.. Since '71 I have had 4 new cars. The last two, 6 cyl. They run smoother than the '70's & '80's 4 cyl.

Maybe the 4's of today are just a smooth as the 6's. No question the 4's get better gas milage. But, if one drives 12K miles or less per year, the difference in gas cost isn't that much.
  • Options
    FWIW: went to my local Ford dealer today to drive a 4-cylinder Fusion. None in stock--just V6s. Went to the nearest Mercury dealer to drive a 4-cylinder Milan (I like its exterior better than the Fusion's). None in stock--just V6s. Both said they would be getting 4-cylinders "soon." Unclear whether they had some in stock, and sold them, or never had any. The Mercury salesman pressed me on why I wanted a 4-cylinder ("The fuel economy won't be much different; I could get you a stripped V6" etc.) I told him I have teen-aged drivers in the house and I don't need that much power. (Also I don't want to spend the extra money for a V6.)
  • Options
    went to my local Ford dealer today to drive a 4-cylinder Fusion. None in stock--just V6s

You're not going to find an I4 Fusion or Milan with an ATX for another few weeks as there was a delay in getting that transmission from it's manufacturer. Only V6 and I4s with the MTX will be available right now.
  • Options
    The Fusion V6 may be priced lower than the Accord and Camry V6s, but the Sonata V6 undercuts the Fusion by quite a bit, with similar equipment:

Just to clarify, I said the Fusion V6 is priced comparably to the Accord and Camry I4 models not their overpriced V6 models.

I wasn't comparing the Fusion's V6 to the Hyundai's as the latter is fighting for a piece of the big pie, or playing catch up if you will, along side of the Fusion right now. You are correct in what you said though.
  • Options
    But the VAST majority do NOT want performance at all. Just the opposite, for 15 years the public has been voting with their feet AWAY from V6's to efficient 4c.

I don't agree with that at all. I think everyone wants performance, from the 8-year old who just heard the growl of a Mustang for the first time right up to the 80-year old "blue hair".

Affordibility and value are the name of the game, always have been. The Accord and Camry sell very few V6 models because they've priced them out of the average Joe's reach. Plain and simple. We all have two or more cars per household now and the family sedan isn't going to be the cool one at least for now. SUVs have taken that role and all the cash gets thrown at them.

Don't get me wrong, Honda's engines are models of effieceincy and technology, but sometimes you can have too much. Especially when price is concerned.

I do not believe that the Fusion and/or the Sonata are going to take the market over from the CamCords. However I do believe we're in for a big change where Honda and Toyota are the biggest losers.
  • Options
    What you said was:

They [Ford] essentially bettered all of the competition by making the V6 more affordable, or as affordable as the others' I4s. (emphasis mine)

You can see how I thought you included the Sonata when you said "bettered all the competition."
  • Options
    gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    I have been test driving lots of different cars over the last few months including Honda and Toyota. Cars on my test drive list today were the '05 Mazda 6 (V4&V6), '06 Nissan Altima (V4&V6), and of course the '06 Sonata V6. I had driven both the V4 & V6 Sonata before but I drove the V6 again today for comparison to the others.

Out of all the cars I drove today, I was most impressed with the Nissan Altima from a drivability standpoint. Granted it doesn't have all the features the Sonata has, but both the V4 & V6 Altima had plenty of power and no hesitation that was quite noticeable on the Mazda 6 and the Sonata. While the Sonata is "they thought of everything" feature rich, it doesn't have the same feel of quality that I felt sitting in and driving the Altima.

The Nissan Altima was never on my list of cars to consider, but that has changed after today. I still like the Sonata, but selecting my next car just got a little bit harder after driving the Altima.
This discussion has been closed.