Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited January 2014 in Subaru
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Subaru Outback. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• fusaichifusaichi Member Posts: 1
    Any idea of a monthly payment for a 36 month lease of a 2005 Suburu Outback VDC (preferably black)?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Greetings fusaichi. I would be more than happy to give you an idea of what sort of lease payment you can expect to pay for the 2005 Subaru Outback that you are interested in. However, in order for me to do so I need some additional information from you first, including how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it (12,000 or 15,000), its full MSRP (with the destination charge added in), and an approximate selling price for it. All of the pricing data that you need is available on Edmunds.com. Let me know if you need help finding it. Once I have this information, I will work up a lease payment for you. Talk to you soon.

Car_man
    Host
  • boxcar17boxcar17 Member Posts: 1
    Hi . . . could you tell me if there are any factory leases currently on the Outback 2.5XT Limited or the 3.0 LL Bean? Otherwise, do you know the residual and money factor for these on about a 48 month lease? Thank you.
  • rwschillrwschill Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at a 2006 Legacy 2.5I Limited wagon. What would a lease be for 36 months, MSRP of 27515 and sell price of 24700 and rebate of 1000 if purchased. Don't know how rebate effects lease.
    Hi boxcar17. Yes, Subaru is currently providing lease support on both the 2006 and 2005 Outback. If you were to lease a 2006 Outback 2.5XT Limited through Subaru Credit right now for 48 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00130 and 45%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2006 Outback 3.0 LL Bean should be .00115 and 43%. Let me know if you want the info for the 2005 models instead.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello rwschill. The $1,000 customer cash that you mentioned is not compatible with leases through Subaru's captive finance company, however Subaru is currently providing a $500 cash incentive on leases of 2005 Legacy 2.5i models. Your negotiated price for this vehicle drops to $24,200 when this incentive is deducted from it. I am not positive that this cash is available on the Limited version of the 2.5i, so you better ask your dealer to be certain. Using this selling price and an MSRP of $27,515 I estimate that this vehicle should have a 36 month, 15,000 miles per year zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $319 if leased through Subaru Auto Finance.

Car_man
    Host
  • alex16alex16 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm thinking of leasing a 2006 Outback 2.5i Limited with automatic later this month. 12,000 miles per year, 36 to 48 months. What should I expect to pay? What would the residual and money factor be? Any Subaru incentives this month?
    Hello alex16. For now I can give you an idea of what this vehicle's lease program is like. If you provide me with its full MSRP (including the destination charge) and an approximate selling price, I can tell you what its lease payment should be as well. If you were to lease a 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i LTD Wagon through its captive finance company right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00120 and 53%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease should be .00085 and 44%. When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take the $500 lease cash that Subaru is providing on it right now into account.

Car_man
    Host
  • pnut311pnut311 Member Posts: 2
    I just got quoted for a 2006 Outback 2.5i Automatic with the auto-dimming mirror/Homelink, the front bumper guard, and the upgraded security system. For a 36 month, 12000 mi/year lease, the gave gave residual and money factor at 53% and 0.00240.

In the post above, you said the money factor for the 2.5i LTD was 0.00120. Are the money factors for the limited and non-limited models supposed to be different?

Thanks!
    Hi pnut311. Yes, Subaru's lease program for the Outback 2.5i Limited Wagon is different than its program for the base model. The last time that I saw Subaru's lease program for the base Outback 2.5i wagon, its 36 month, 12,000 miles per year buy rate lease money factor and residual value were .00190 and 53%.

Car_man
    Host
  • msbobmsbob Member Posts: 1
    My questions are:
    1. Can you trade/use your current vehicle as the "down"?
    2. Can you use a personalize license plate on a leased car?
    3. Can you tint the windows? And would the dealership do that,adding the cost to the price?
    4. What's the additonal cost should go over the 15,000 miles allowed?
    5. Are my payments higher if I want to lease for 24 months? If so, would there be some type of "advantage" for if I continue to lease but a newer model? Thanks in advance, I want to be on the same page when I do meet w/ someone. Regards, Ms Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    1. Yes, assuming you have equity (trade-in value > any loans remaining).

2. Yes. That's just the registration part. You can even transfer tags to another car if you want to keep 'em.

3. Probably, it may depend on the dealer. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to arrange it, but don't count on it increasing resale value so you'll probably pay for it all yourself.

4. Depends, that can be negotiated I believe.

5. Shorter term leases probably do cost more, because initial deprecition is the steepest.

-juice

PS I'm not a lease expert by any means, you may want to hop over on the Blog section to the Smart Buyers Blog and ask there
  • cfilkinscfilkins Member Posts: 39
    I'm trying to help out my inlaws as they look to lease a new outback. They have one that is off lease on October, but the dealership is pushing them to get a new one now, telling them that their current one is worth more than they owe. The sales people are reluctant to cough up the numbers in any way that is readable by me, so I was hoping that y'all could help out...

2006 Outback 2.5i automatic
    MSRP 27,376
    Cap 24,890
    acquisition 595

Residual 11,771.68
    $339.99/month, 48 months, 12k
    due on signing - 1st + reg ($339.99 + $117.56)

They pay 8.5% sales tax where they live, which they were told was all rolled in. Following what I read, I managed to work up a money factor of 0.00073 and a residual of 43%. Any info that y'all would be willing to share would be awesome!

Chris :confuse:
    Hi Chris. The selling price that your in-laws were quoted for the Outback that they are interested in looks good to me. Let's calculate what its lease payment should be using Subaru's current lease program and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if your in-laws were to lease a 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon with an MSRP of $27,376 and a selling price of $24,890 through its captive finance company right now for 48 months with 12,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $347. I used a money factor of .00170 and a residual value of 41% to arrive at this payment. So if they were quoted $339 a month for this car, this deal looks good to me.

Car_man
    Host
  • ajfitzerajfitzer Member Posts: 30
    Hey Carman! I used your insight a few years back with my Subaru Legacy L 2003 sedan, and got a tremendous deal. Now that lease is ending in 2 months, and I am anxious to lean on you once again. Subaru is offering me PREFERRED LEASE LOYALTY, thus waiving my first monthly lease payment, as well as a waiver of the security deposit requirment if I lease another car through them. The only model my wife and I are interested in is the Outback. I would NOT be willing to settle on the 2.5 UNLESS it has the turbo, as the engine (the same 4 I have in my current Legacy) just does not have enough pep.

I'm thinking of leasing a 2006 Outback 2.5xt Limited with automatic or PERHAPS the 3.0 LL Bean Wagon ($$ and inventory will decide it for me). Apparently they did not make many 2.5xt's so my negotiating power might be limited on that model. Have you heard the same on this? However, the MSRP on the 3.0 Outback is over 30K, and might be out of my reach. We are looking for 12,000 miles per year, 36 to 42 months, 0 down.

What would the residual and money factor be? Any Subaru incentives this month? What should I expect to pay? Does it make sense to TRY and get a good deal now with 2 months left on my current lease (I am not over on miles or anything)?
    Carman, I have decided on the 3.0R wagon, as it is more in my price range, and has the extra power. The lease invoice i saw from a dealer was $26,911 with a .00150 MF and 49% residual for 42 months. Subaru is NOT offering any incentives or lease cash on this model! It is a shame, as I might decide to look at the Tribeca now. See my posting in the Tribeca Lease area. I have gotten some amazing offers.
    Hey ajfitzer. I'm glad to hear that you got such a good deal on your Legacy. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited through Subaru Auto Finance right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00150 and 53%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 42 month lease should be .00150 and 50%. The numbers for a 36 month / 12k lease of an '06 Subaru Outback 3.0 LL Bean Edition Wagon are currently .00150 and 56%. This model's 42 month / 12k numbers should be .00150 / 52%. Subaru is not currently providing any cash incentives on leases of these models. I am not personally all that familiar with what the market is like for this vehicle right now, but you may be able to get an idea of how much you should pay by visiting the following discussion: "Subaru Outback: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". If I was in your situation, I personally would wait until the scheduled end of my current lease to get a new vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the reply Car-Man! I had received a TREMENDOUS offer on a TRIBECA Limited lease, that was too good to pass up, so I went that direction.

ajfitzer, "Subaru B9 Tribeca: Lease Questions" #107, 16 Mar 2006 12:57 pm

Thanks again for all your wisdom. It allowed my family to have a suitable truck with more bells and whistles then we otherwise could have afforded.
    You're very welcome ajfitzer. Congratulations on your new Tribeca. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
  • modo4128modo4128 Member Posts: 5
    We just leased a new 4door automatic with subwoofer, autodimming mirror & compass, and all weather floor mats. Financing was done via Subaru in California with a residual factor of 51% and money factor of .00165.

MSRP was $33,345, we paid invoice of $30,842. With $1420 downpayment, we are paying $504/month for 36 months. Sound like a reasonable deal? Never sure about these things...how does dealer make money if we pay invoice?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    There is a small holdback, but that really only covers their operating costs and the salesman's salary.

For the most part they *don't* make a profit on new car sales. Used cars and service do, however.

My dealer charges $95 per hour for service labor!

-juice
  • mthomtho Member Posts: 3
    We're looking at a 2006 Outback 2.5i Limited. Whats the current money factor and residual numbers that you have for Subaru right now?

thanks
    -mike
    Hi Mike. this car's lease program varies depending upon how long you lease it for and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it. For now I will provide you with information on a common set of terms, 36 months with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. If you were to lease a 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Sedan through its captive finance company right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be 00220 and 50%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • mthomtho Member Posts: 3
    Thanks

How about 36 month, 12000 mile Limited vs a 2006 36 month, 12000 mile LL Bean model?
    thanks
    -mike
  • soukousloversoukouslover Member Posts: 1
    Hi there

I understand when leasing you finance 50% of the car and 50% is the residual... so, could I simply prepay 50% (all lease payments for 3 years) and not incur interest?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,729
    That isn't exactly the way it works... Actually, you are financing the entire car... The lease calculation averages the CAP cost (selling price) and the residual amount, and you pay finance charges on the average of those two figures...

So, even if you pay the entire depreciation portion upfront, you are still financing the residual amount over the duration of the lease...

However, you can pre-pay the entire lease, and it does reduce the finance charges, but it doesn't do away with them completely..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Here you go, Mike. If you were to lease a 2006 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon through its captive finance company right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00200 and 52%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '06 Outback LL Bean Wagon should be .00200 and 52% as well. When negotiating your lease on these cars, keep in mind that Subaru is providing its dealers with up to $1,000 dealer cash on '06 Outback models this month. The exact amount that dealers receive depends upon how many units they sell.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • melissagmelissag Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning on leasing an automatic 2.5i (probably 48 mos/15K miles). I'm looking at one with a $26K sticker price. What's a reasonable target number to negotiate down to? (no trade in)
    Hi melissag. You may be able to get an idea of how much you will have to pay for the Outback that you are interested in by visiting the following discussion: "Subaru Outback: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". Once you have an idea of the selling price of the Outback that you want (and its full MSRP) let me know and I would be happy to estimate what its lease payment should be for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • richw4richw4 Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering leasing a Subaru 2.5i Wagon (MSRP was approx. $27,000). Salesman in Riverhead, Long Island quoted me $376 per month, 48 months, $0 down. Could you please let me know if this is a good price, and if not, what should I be trying to negotiate down to?

Thanks.
  • richw4richw4 Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering leasing a Subaru 2.5i Wagon, automatic. (MSRP was approx. $27,000). Salesman in Riverhead, Long Island quoted me $376 per month, 48 months, $0 down, 12K miles per year. Could you please let me know if this is a good price, and if not, what should I be trying to negotiate down to?

Thanks.
  • melissagmelissag Member Posts: 2
    Rich--I ended up leasing through Manchester Subaru (New Hampshire) for $299 per month; 48 months; 15K per year; no trade in or $$ down, and the cash to close was one payment plus a relatively nominal (less than 200) charge. Good luck.
    Hi richw4. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what this vehicle's selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • needtoknow1needtoknow1 Member Posts: 1
    I just completed a deal on a demo Outback 3.0R. Love the car; hated the experience. Interested in knowing how I did. This is in Canadian dollars.

Demo had 12500kms. (MSRP in Canada for the car is $38995)My deal had a final cost of $36 000 (no other fees). 2.8% financing (non-negotiable) over 4 years with a $14 530 residual ($1007 off normal residual due to kms on car). Total tax rate here is 14%. My monthly payments are $577 all-in. Also got them to install an automatic car starter at no charge. Thanks.
  • drewcardrewcar Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Mr. Car Man. Thank you for being you.

A few important questions I was hoping you might be able to help me with when you have a moment:

1. Can you tell me the lease money factor and residual value percentage for a 2007 Subaru 2.5i Outback Limited Wagon?

2. I am using lease calculators to learn about this whole craziness....and I am a bit confused by the residual value computation. Is the residual value based on the Cap Cost or the Adjusted Cap Cost? It seems to me that, regardless of what one pays for a car, it is worth the same at the end of, say, 4 years and with 40,000 miles on it, no? Therefore, it would seem that the residual value is based on the Cap Cost NOT the adjusted cap. Please confirm or clarify if you would.

3. Finally, it seems that depreciation values set by leasing companies are rather high. If I return a leased car after four years with 40K miles, how am I to believe that the car is, say, 48% depreciated (52% residual value) when the private sale value after four years is more like a 65% residual value? Is this a profit angle or a cover-our-butts strategy to protect the leasing companies from value gaps?

Thanks for the help.

And again, thanks for being there.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,158
    Hi Carman:

Do you have info on current mfr. (by Chase) lease MF and residuals on '07 Legacy GT Ltd/Outback XT Ltd wagons for 24/36 months and 15000 miles/yr? Is Spec B sedan any different? The region is Southeast (FL), if it matters. Feel free to volunteer any special/sunsidized rate they might have with other term lengths. I appreciate your help in advance.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• rcurriejrrcurriejr Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'd like to know what you'd consider fair lease terms for an Outback 2.5i Basic 4EAT-S with a sale price of $22,000. I'll be trading in a vehicle with $2,000 of equity in it, and looking for a lease of 3 years/45,000 miles. Thanks.
    You're welcome, drewcar, :blush: . Subaru's lease program for this vehicle varies depending upon how long you lease it for and its mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 48 month lease with 10,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 48 month lease of a 2007 Outback 2.5i Limited Wagon with 10,000 miles per year are .00270 and 50%, respectively.

Vehicles' residual values are always based upon a percentage of their full MSRPs, including the destination charge and any options that can be residualized. So you are right, regardless of how much one pays for their vehicle, it is only worth a specific amount at the end of their lease. Vehicles' residual values are based upon a realistic assessment of what banks believe vehicles will be worth after a specific period of time. Many banks actually artificially inflate vehicles' residual values, making them unrealistically high so that they can provide consumers with attractive lease payments. Manufacturers like BMW do this sort of thing all the time. Most banks don't set vehicles' residuals too low though. There is a great article on how to calculate lease payments here at Edmunds.com. You definitely should check it out: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi dino001. Subaru Auto Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon with 15,000 miles per year are .00270 and 65%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00240 and 53%. Subaru Auto Finance's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Subaru Outback XT Limited Wagon with 15,000 miles per year are .00270 and 63%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00240 and 54%. The Spec B's lease program is different, its residual values are not nearly as attractive. Its 24 month, 15k numbers are .00270 / 57%. Its 36 month, 15k numbers are .00240 / 47%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings rcurriejr. I would be happy to estimate what this vehicle's lease payment would be if you were to lease it through Subaru's captive finance company right now. In order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP. Let me know and I'll crunch some numbers for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • bpac02864bpac02864 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Man,

I see the Subaru has a special for $239 per month on the 2.5I Basic.

What are my chances in getting a 2.5I Automatic. $2k down 42 months 15k per year at $290 per month In RI.

Thanks
  • tommypc71tommypc71 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Mr. Car_Man, I am looking to lease a 2007 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5i Wagon. The dealer quoted me a sale price of $22,694. The total price including TTL and doc fee is $23,842.82. The MSRP of the car is $25,403. I am looking to lease it for either 36 or 48 months with 15,000 miles per year. Do you know how much my monthly payment would be assuming I have good credit and I am going through Subaru Financing Company? Thanking you in advance. Tommy.
    Tommy.....how did that work out for you?

I am NOT a Subie Newbie, and carman has helped me in the past. Now my wife has had it with our '96 Acura RL, and wants a second subie.

CarMan do you know the current #'s (money factor, incentives, etc) on the 2007 Outback 2.5i? I have tried to get into one in the past, but could never get a favorable lease. I am seeing some nice looking monthly numbers being advertised out here (NJ), so I am hoping we can take the leap, and am starting to e-mail dealers in a 60 mile radius.

Loving my 2006 Tribeca!

AJFITZ
    Car-man,

Here is what I was just offered, and I am HOPING that I might finally get in to a new Outback (although my Tribeca is still very very nice)......

07' Outback Wagon 2.5i 4Cyl
    Selling Price: $22,627
    Redidual 55%
    MFactor .00210

42 month lease with 12K miles a year $314/month which includes taxes, and $626.51 down (includes first months, registration fees, tags, etc).

How does this one sound??

ajfitz
    Hi bpac02864. It's tough for me to say how much the Outback that you want will cost to lease without knowing its MSRP and selling price. I would be happy to use Subaru's current lease program to estimate this vehicle's monthly payment for you if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello Tommy. Let's work up a payment on this vehicle for you and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon with an MSRP of $25,403 and a capitalized cost of $23,843 through Subaru's captive finance company right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $353. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease are $333.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey ajfitzer. The money factor and residual value that you were quoted for the Outback that you are interested in are right in line with its published lease program. This is always a good sign. It is difficult for me to give you my opinion on this selling price without knowing what this vehicle's full MSRP is. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • comfortzonescomfortzones Member Posts: 37
    We are looking at the 2007 Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Ltd with Nav and 2007 Outback Wagon 3.0 R LL Bean with Nav. Are current money factors and residual values available, Car_man? Thank you!
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    I've never leased a car, and when we buy a car we usually keep it for 8-10 years. But we may have a situation where a lease makes sense. Thing is, I don't understand how a lease with option-to-own program works out, numbers-wise. My question is ... is there a significant overall price difference between buying, say, a Subaru Outback i outright vs. leasing one and then in 42 months (or whatever) choosing at that time to purchase the vehicle if we like it? We usually only drive about 7K miles a year. Any comments? Thank you!
  • 232499232499 Member Posts: 1
    Car Man - I would like to get your opinion on a lease for a 2007 2.5i basic - I am in MO
    MSPR was $23,950 (might as well say 24k) and i would like to know the lease amounts for a 36 and 42 month, 12k miles per year with 0 down. I am not sure i understand what the Redidual & MFactor amounts are that you keep mentioning in previous posts.

thanks for any help you can provide,
This discussion has been closed.