Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen GTI Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    kulasokulaso Member Posts: 11
    Do you have the lease info for the 2008 or 2009 GTI for September? What is the current MF and Residual for someone with 770 credit score? I am comfortable negotiating everything else with the dealers but this two unknowns make things difficult. Thanks!
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi kulaso. A 770 credit score is very good. It should easily qualify you for any manufacturers' top credit tier. VW Credit's lease program varies by term and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different.

If you were to lease a 2009 Volkswagen GTI 4-Door through VW Credit in September for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00148 and 54%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2008 model are .00047 and 49%.

Volkswagen is providing a $500 cash incentive on leases of the 2008 GTI, but no lease cash on the 2009 model.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    kulasokulaso Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the info car_man. I closed on a 2009 GTI with Autobahn, Sunroof, 17" wheels, and iPod adapter. MSRP was $28,200. My lease is for a 36 months at 10K miles per year. I paid $3000 drive off and will pay $300 a month both including 8.25% local tax. I liked the numbers so took the car home. Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    You're very welcome, kulaso. Sweet car. I'm jealous. I almost got one myself a couple of years ago, but the fact that I have two young children prevented me from doing so. It would be easier for me to say how good a deal you got without knowing what this car's selling price was. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    pfjepfje Member Posts: 25
    Car_man,

I am interested in leasing a 2009 VW GTI 4- Door. The MSRP is 26, 389 and the selling price is 24,449. Could you run numbers for the following terms:

24 months 15,000 miles/year
    36 months 15, 000 miles/ year.

I will not be putting any money down.

Are there leases still available for a 2008 GTI? If so, what are the numbers and do you recommend going for a 2008 or a 2009.

Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    billdctbilldct Member Posts: 38
    Good question. I am also interested in choosing between an 08 an 09. I suspect at this point in time the residual on the 08 would be pretty poor.
  • Options
    I'd be happy to help you out, pfje. Let's crunch some numbers and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2009 Volkswagen GTI 4-Door that has an MSRP of $26,389 and a selling price of $24,449 through VW Credit right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $412. The payment for an otherwise identical 36 month lease is $344. The 3 year lease looks very tempting to me. I personally almost pulled the trigger on a GTI a few years ago, but the timing just wasn't right...VW's lease program wasn't good enough the month I needed it to be (expiring lease).

Volkswagen is still providing lease support on the 2008 GTI. Its residual values for the '08 model are a couple of points lower, but its money factor is much better, it has 500 lease cash on the '08 model, and dealers will likely be more willing to deeply discount their leftover vehicles. I suspect that a similar '08, if you can still find one the way that you want it equipped, might be around $20/month less than an '09.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hey billdct. Leasing an '08 model is actually still a better deal than leasing an '09. See my previous post for more information on this subject.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    die4valordie4valor Member Posts: 31
    car man--just got back from my dealer. can you let me know if this deal sounds fair?

msrp: $25663
    sell price: $24700-ish
    terms:
    39 month
    $1500 down
    $363/month
    includes all taxes/fees.

during our conversation, he said he could probably get it below $350. then went on to say he could do it at invoice. also said i need to do by end of the month, as residuals drop, the price will increase.

what say you?
  • Options
    Hi die4valor. A base 2009 GTI has a spread of around $1,600 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. The $963 dealer discount that you were quoted on this car isn't bad. It's probably a little over $600 over invoice or so. The problem is that this car doesn't have very a big dealer margin, so even though you are getting less than $1,000 off, the dealer isn't making a ton of money. Things are very slow in the auto industry right now, I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to get this car at invoice, especially if the dealer has already hinted that it's possible. Hold them to it.

Just make sure that the dealer uses VW Credit's current 39 month buy rate lease money factor of .00156 to calculate your monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    die4' I think you can do better. I have some numbers that I can post up later. Also a question for Car_man. The VW lease numbers are pretty good right now. Any sign that VW is going to go the route of other car manufacturers and increase the lease costs in the near future. I can't get out of my 06 Jetta lease until 12/31/08 at the earliest as my lease contract actually expires on 3/31/09.
  • Options
    thanks car man!

billdct--can you post those numbers? should it matter what area of the country im in?
  • Options
    I live in CT and car would be purchase in PA. 09 4 door GTI. Manual trans, rubber mats,Moon roof, prem sound. sticker 26064, 39 mos 15000 per year, $1000 total out of pocket at delivery, payment =$331 per month. I am a current vw leasee so no security deposit is required and I think that there is at least $500 of some loyalty money. For reference figure for each additional $1000 put down you will reduce the payment by 30/month. I really dont like the fact that the 09 VW's only carry 3 year 36000 on the bumper to bumper warranty so you are left hanging for a good portion of the lease. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    You're very welcome, die4valor.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Thanks for providing information on your recent GTI lease, billdct. Real world examples like this are always very helpful to others who are in the market for similar cars. If you'd like, you can also hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new ride, I know that I would (I love the GTI) :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    blldct-

thanks for the numbers it really helped in my negotiations.

$1500 down
    $330/month for 39 months
    (09 coupe, manual, sunroof, premium audio, ipod and mats)

i don't qualify for the $500 loyalty that you do, but i still think i'm gonna do it.
  • Options
    brendanm14brendanm14 Member Posts: 16
    Anybody know the MF and Residual for a 4 door GTI with Automatic? Any difference in MF for the 2 door?

Thanks
  • Options
    sublimegolfsublimegolf Member Posts: 5
    2009 Volkswagen GTi 2dr HB – 11/08
    24 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00156 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 54% of MSRP – .00156 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 47% of MSRP – .00201 Base Rate

2009 Volkswagen GTi 4dr HB – 11/08
    24 Month – Residual 60% of MSRP – .00156 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 53% of MSRP – .00156 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 46% of MSRP – .00201 Base Rate

Residuals posted are for 15K miles/year. Add 2% to Residual for 12k mi/yr and 3% for 10k mi/yr on all terms
  • Options
    darewinderdarewinder Member Posts: 1
    Hi, What is the credit score requirement for an 09 lease.

I am looking to lease an 09 gti and was wondering if I will be approved. My credit score is fair (around 650). Can anyone help me out here. The msrp I was thinking of is 28k

Also, where do you get these apr and the residual. Cant find em on the vw site. I wanna know if I am gonna get a worse rate because of my credit score

thanks
  • Options
    Is there any factory to dealer cash on an 09 GTI in the New England Region or Mid Atlantic region?

Thanks,
  • Options
    spagballspagball Member Posts: 20
    OK, just so you have an idea of what "first offers" are looking like in MD:
    '09 GTI, 4DR, DSG (A/T), Autobahn pkg, PWR sunroof, 18" Huf, iPod

MSRP: $28,739
    Offer: $28,400
    Rate: .00225
    Resid: 53%
    Down: $0
    $435/mon

I know, that's what I said. Crazy.

Carman & kyfdx any new #'s on GTIs since Nov? This deal seems really off to me.
  • Options
    Hello billdct. Unfortunately, Volkswagen is not currently providing any cash incentives on the 2009 GTI in your area.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi spagball. Excellent choice in cars. I've always loved the GTI. The money factor that you were quoted for this car is too high. Volkswagen Credit's December buy rate lease money factor for a 2009 GTI 4-door is only .00156. This means that either your credit is not in very good shape, or that the dealer that you are working with is attempting to mark your car's money factor up to add additional profit to your deal, probably the latter.

Furthermore, a dealer discount of only $300 is a joke. I realize that this car does not have a huge dealer margin built in, but come on. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, you should be able to do better than this. Shoot for a couple hundred dollars over dealer invoice and see what happens. You can look up the exact invoice price for this model over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of this site.

The residual value that you were quoted is correct for a lease with 15,000 miles per year though.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    I don't know what the rules are here but I can point you to a VW dealer and internet salesman near Philly that does great internet pricing. I travel a couple of hundred miles from CT to get his deals
  • Options
    Thanks Car man, as always. That offer was what the dealer called a "national average". I think they were just testing to see if I was completely brain-dead. I simply quoted many of the offers from this forum, the lease analyzer over at leaseguide.com (great tool for little $), and used the example of a lease I just got for my wife on a Lex IS250 AWD for $75 less a month and only $500 down. Not to mention we both have 800+ FICO. PS, I worked up the same car on the VW site and it came in less than what their $300 discounted one was.

W/in 24 hrs. I received the "very aggressive offer" below:
    39 mons
    tax, tags, & $500 ($2321 tot) [6% tax in my area]
    first payment by them
    $339.82/mon

So we went from $435 to $339.82 in two days. I'm still not keen on anything down (esp. since it's still sign & drive). And if the VW Credit is @ .00156 for Dec and considering we only need 10K miles/yr, I might be able to get something even more attractive based on the residuals.

Big ups to you Car man and Edmunds. You and this forum have hooked me up large on my Lex lease and of course this GTI one. It's great to get some confirmation on what I already knew seemed shady. More power to the people!
  • Options
    Just wanted to put the up the final numbers to the deal I closed last night on my GTI. I'm pretty happy with what I got and after my first counter on their first offer the dealership was very upfront, fair and posted what I feel was their best offer.

Deal was on '09 GTI, 4DR, DSG (A/T), Autobahn pkg, PWR sunroof, 18" Hufs, & iPod.
    Price - $26,665.00
    Rate - .00156 (thanks Car_man)
    39 mons
    $2321 - tax, tags, & dest. (which they cut $100 off on dest.) [6% tax in my area]
    first payment by them
    $339.82/mon

I think it worked out well and it's a beautiful Tornado red.
  • Options
    You're very welcome, spagball. I'm glad that you've found Edmunds so helpful.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Ahhh I see that you've finalized the deal. This car will be a blast for $340 per month. You got it in the hot red color as well. Now I hate you because I want this car ;). Thanks for taking the time to report back and let us all know how everything turned out. If you'd like, you can hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well.

Happy New Year and enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    tom_ctom_c Member Posts: 4
    Hello Car_man

Could you please provide the MF and residual for the 09 GTI at 36 months/12k miles per year?
    Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    tom_ctom_c Member Posts: 4
    Bumpity Bump
  • Options
    GTIGRGTIGR Member Posts: 9
    Here's a first offer I got in Atlanta for an '09 GTI, 2DR, manual, PWR sunroof, 18" Huf, premium sound

Lease term: 36 months/12k miles
    Offer: $23,500
    Rate: .00105
    Resid: $12,719
    Down: $2000
    $345/month

I'm also thinking of adding the excess wear warranty for ~$550. Carman, does this sound like a good deal?
  • Options
    Here's a more recent quoteI got
    Lease term: 36 months/12k miles
    MSRP: $25.139
    Offer: $22.600
    Rate: .00105
    Resid: .53
    Down: $0
    $340/month

It seems there's more room to push the offer down if I wait a bit more. Does anyone know whether VW credit will change its lease program for February?
  • Options
    Hi Tom. Here's the information that you're looking for. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 GTI 2 Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00105 and 53%, respectively. The money factor for an otherwise identical lease of a 4 Door GTI is exactly the same, but its residual value is 1% lower.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi GTIGR. It's excellent that you know what this car's selling price is. The selling price is the single most important number to find out when leasing. The problem is, we don't have anything to compare it with. You need to find out what this car's MSRP or dealer invoice price are so that we can see how much of a dealer discount you are being given on this car. You can find out the MSRP by asking the dealer or look up both of these numbers over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

The other main profit center for dealers besides cars' selling prices is their money factors. Dealers are often allowed to mark up vehicle's factors to add additional, hidden back-end profit to deals. The money factor that you were quoted for the GTI that you want is right in line with VW Credit's buy rate for this model. So it looks good.

I personally always pass on excess wear and tear warranties on leases. In all of my years of leasing, I have never been charged an excess wear and tear penalty of $500.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    GTIGR, VW Credit's current lease program is scheduled to run through February 2nd. It is difficult to say at this point how different, if at all, its new February program will be.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    brendanm14brendanm14 Member Posts: 16
    Any idea what the money factors and the residuals are for a 2dr and 4dr. GTI with DSG and Sunroof for February?

Thanks.
  • Options
    It seems they are the same as Jan... see message #237
  • Options
    z2adambombz2adambomb Member Posts: 18
    Hey carman,
    could you please post the MF and residual for a 4 door GTI for a 36mo 12k/yr (15k too) lease? thanks!

For others looking at GTI's I was quoted the following offer in Durham, NC:
    black 4 door, 6spd man, ipod adapter (no other options)
    ~24,450 MSRP
    buy price ~22,250
    $1500 out the door cost up front (all taxes and fees included)
    $285/mo
    I just want to check the numbers myself, this seems like a pretty solid lease, though I hope to get a little lower.
  • Options
    Here you go, z2adambomb. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 GTI 4 Door with 15,000 miles per year are .00113 and 48%, respectively. The residual values for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year are 2% higher.

Thanks for taking the time to share the offer that you were given with others.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    bigbucks1959bigbucks1959 Member Posts: 27
    That sounds like a very good lease deal. I got offered in Pittsburgh PA last week the following lease deal which I now feel is a crappy deal:

$349 Month plus tax
    10K miles per year I only had to pay Dealer fees of like $100. No Money Down.

But this was on a 2 door GTI 6 speed I wanted a 4 door GTI....I passed on the deal for now..Just did not feel like the best deal I could have got. I am now waiting to see what VW does for April Promos if anything.
  • Options
    gluzgluz Member Posts: 10
    285 was with tax or without?

Thanks.
  • Options
    the 285 quote was including NC tax, which is 3% of the total selling price, distributed over 36 payments. There is no sales tax on cars in NC, it's a usage tax that's a percentage of the value of the vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but sales tax in most other states (like NY) would tax the lease payments and amt at signing, not the entire value of the car.

I should update my quotes after I've negotiated a bit:

4 door GTI with ipod adapter 12k mi/yr, 36mo $275 a month, 2k due at signing with all taxes and fees included

2 door GTI with ipod adapter 12k mi/yr, 36mo $265 a month, 2k due at signing with all taxes and fees included

hope this helps folks. given the numbers I've run on my own, I think it'll be hard to get it much lower than this, but definitely post your findings if you folks get lower numbers. I'll also be eager to see what April numbers are like. I'll likely pull the trigger in early to mid April.
  • Options
    carman, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the march incentives and numbers (MF's and residuals) are extended through april... good news!
  • Options
    Hi z2adambomb. VW Credit's April lease program for the 2009 GTI is slightly different than its March program, but not much. Its buy rate lease money factor for this car is now .00113 (versus .00105 last month). The increase won't make much of a difference in the payment.

On a somewhat related note, I was at the official introduction of the new GTI at the New York auto show last week and I have to say that I loved it. I've always really liked this model and I wasn't disappointed with the new one. I'm anxious to take one for a spin.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    So I decided to take the deal I posted before. The dealer still honored the quoted deal from March in April. I was debating between the 2 door and 4 door and decided the extra $10 for the rear doors was a worthwhile investment. The dealer was actually very good, especially compared to some of the high pressure dealers I've dealt with lately. There was hardly any pressure through the sales experience (probably because they started off with a low price) and the actual signing process was well explained and very straightforward. It always amazes me how long it can take an individual to transfer plates, insurance and register a car through the DMV yet a dealer has it done in a couple hours.
    To summarize the deal:
    Southern States VW in Durham, NC
    09 GTI 4 door "black magic" w/ 6speed
    ipod adapter
    scheduled maintenance included
    12k mi/year, 36 month lease
    $21,900 buy cost
    $275/mo
    $2000 out the door, everything included
    They were still going to honor the $265/mo deal for the same parameters on a 2 door. I've heard that VW has already stopped production of MKV GTI's given that the new MKVI that carman mentioned will be coming to dealers in a few months. I would assume this would keep the numbers for MKV's pretty attractive until then.
    I couldn't be happier with the car, I'm doing all sorts of unnecessary driving to get more time in it.
  • Options
    madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    Car_Man,

Little help with MF and residual on GTI 2dr manual tranny for 12k miles on a 36 month?

Thanks!
  • Options
    harriganharrigan Member Posts: 13
    Being offered a stock 09 GTI four-door at invoice -$500, 0% APR for 60 months and $399 in dealer fees. Sound fair?

Edit -- sorry, should have posted this in the other GTI thread. Headed there now.
  • Options
    Hi madmanmoo. Interesting username :) . Here's the information that you're looking for. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 GTI 2-Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00111 and 50%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    Thanks, Car_Man. What a miserable residual. I am not thinking this is a good time to lease this GTI.
  • Options
    bds4bds4 Member Posts: 1
    would you be so kind as to share the name of the dealership you worked with, I'm up in NYC and can't get any deals close to that one, would be willing to travel down to do so, TIA
This discussion has been closed.