Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    CR reviewed Mazda6 I4 auto in January 2009 issue. I would assume that they will get around to the new fusion at some point. The enthusiast oriented sources of reviews generally rarely do reviews of automatics, if a manual is available.
  • gth743bgth743b Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a 2010 SE today with the 201A package (Sync, spoiler). It was a 6-speed. MSRP was $22,790 with destination included. After tax, title, fees, and a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 100k miles 4x4 V8 trade, the price came to $18,000 with 0% for 36 months. It could've probably been driven a bit lower, but I was still happy with it. This car drives like a dream and was surprising leagues better than the 2006 Fusion that we have. Beat the tar out of the Mazda6 too, was disappointed in that one. Bought it at Malcolm Cunningham Ford in Lithonia, GA.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    Congratulations on your purchase!

What are the qualities of the car that you especially like? What is the color combination?
    Thanks, the color combination is the UH Tux Black Met with Black cloth interior. For a manual the car shifts very smoothly, its quiet on the road, has a stiff enough suspension to make it fun, but not so that you get broken by potholes, the SYNC system works magnificently and is probably the coolest thing ever, fuel economy is good, instrumentation is neat and different with the ice blue backlight effect. The seats are comfortable and provide good support, there's tons of should and leg room, I'm a big guy at 6'3" and 220lbs, but i don't feel cramped at all, the trunk is enormous and the fold flat front passenger seat opens a lot of room up (i can lay down in the car and have a foot on either side), the factory sound system is surprisingly good considering its the base system, and the car is very well laid/thought out. I've driven in BMWs, Range Rovers, and the lot, and this car has the best overall ride and feel out of all of them I IMHO. We have an '06 Fusion and it was tremendously better than it, and I thought the '06 was a good car. If this is what Ford has in the offering for its recovery, then they should have no problem once people test drive it.
  • iowahikeriowahiker Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased in Des Moines a 5 spd 2009 SE Sport for 15.5k. This is cheaper than buying a used 08!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I've been checking out several '09 Fusion SE/SEL models with the Sport Appearance Package (SAP). I really like the look with the 18" wheels, spoiler and various trim details. The 2.3L/5AT didn't suit my driving style, but the 3.0L/6AT suits me much better. But there aren't many '09 SE V6 models with SAP still available...

This weekend, I drove a 2010 SE with the new 2.5L/6AT and was surprised at the difference compared to the 2.3L in the '09 model. The additional 15 horsepower (and 16 lb-ft of torque) and additional gear in the automatic transmission feel more powerful than they look on paper. Motor Trend recently tested the 2010 SEL I-4/6AT and clocked 0-60 at 8.9 seconds (very respectable figure and at least 0.5 seconds faster than the 2.3L).

Ford even offers the same 18" wheels from the '09 Sport Appearance Package as an option on the 2010 SEL. Just my luck, they're not offered on the SE, which is the trim level I prefer.... but a 2010 SEL with the Moon & Tune Package and 18" wheels is looking like a real possiblity! The MSRP is $25,890 and Edmunds TMV is showing $24,767. I'm holding out for bigger discounts, though....
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Sport Blue Metallic
    w/ Rapid Spec Pkg 202A
    6 spd auto
    rear spoiler
    reverse sensing
    remote start
    MSRP $23,975
    Purchase 21,575

Daughter's car_She loves it!
    For any interested in real fuel economy, I finally got a good 450 miles of interstate just run on my 2010 SE and it was from Atlanta to West Virginia, so there were mountains involved. Average mpg was 34.0 for the whole trip, with an avg speed of about 71 mph. That's 5 mpg over what it says on the sticker...makes me wonder what the S gets with its 34 mpg rating. In downtown Atlanta, fuel economy is not 22 though, its more like 17-18, but that is extreme city traffic I guess.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I assume you are driving an I4 auto. Isn't that rated 31 hwy which would make your mpg only 3 better than estimate? Still darn good mpg though for a mountainous trip at over 70mph. Also, I don't know exactly how the EPA estimates city driving but I doubt it uses the extreme example of downtown Atlanta or Chicago or LA. Probably some sort of combo of big city/small city so real congested areas will get a little less mpg and downtown city driving like Des Moines, IA a little better. That's why they say "your results may vary".
    Yes, its an I4, but no its not an automatic, I got one of the few manual ones that they decided to make. Commuter to and from each day, about 10 miles each way, with mainly 4 lane that's 45 mph, and then drops to 35 mph I get about 25.5-26 mpg.
  • gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    Maybe I didn't navigate the website correctly, but when going through the "build your own...." it doesn't offer chrome rims as an option. Only painted rims??? Did I just not scroll down or select the correct option? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • motoq2000motoq2000 Member Posts: 13
    Helped my mom today with her purchase of a White Suede/Camel Leather '09 SEL V6. Installed options included:

MOON & TUNE PKG
    REAR PARK ASSIST
    REAR SPOILER
    HEATED SEATS
    SEL SERIES ORDER CODE

The sticker was $27,055. We were able to get it for $21,200. Not a blowout deal, but not bad either. I think it was close to the edge of what I could've gotten in my market (Boston). Three dealers had the same exact car, and I enjoyed pitting them against eachother. I exepected to get the car at $21k or just below, but no one was interested in playing past this point. She's happy with the car...she had wanted Moss Green, but it's real hard to come by now well equipped in the Northeast.

Note - I learned today that some Fusions can have the same equipment, but have different stickers. Like one of the 3 we found was priced at $26,640, even though it was an '09 and had the same exact equipment. The deal was that it was ordered in the last quarter of 2008 (December), and Ford raises its prices quarterly. In the end, that dealer would only go as low as the others, so we wound up buying one of the "newer" Fusions. The "older" lower MSRP car helped set the bar low from the begining though, so it was still helpful to have in the mix!
    I learned today that some Fusions can have the same equipment, but have different stickers.

Nothing unique in that, all manufacturers sometimes change the MSRP during a model year.
  • linaiklinaik Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2010 Fusion SE

Sangria Red
    Sun & Sync package (moon roof, Sync System)
    V6 Duratec Engine
    Rear spoiler
    Reverse sensing system
    Floor mats
    Am/FM/MP3 6 CD Player
    Free Sirus 6-months

Sticker Price: $25,765.00
    Paid $23,914.91 before tax & fees
    $24,755.36 total

I Didn't intend to get anything but the basic SE V4, but ordering would have been a wait for 4-6 weeks. They only had 2 SEs on the lot, one V4 black and the V6 red, with similar options, with about $1,700 difference between the two. I didn't like the black color, so I said what the heck, and got the V6. So far, I love it.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    good thing you didn't wait for the basic SE V4 that you wanted to order because they don't exist. However, if you wanted an inline 4, that's different. Anyway, congrats on your purchase.
  • linaiklinaik Member Posts: 2
    Thanks.

Just curious, what's an inline 4?
    Almost all modern 4-cylinder engines are "Inline-4"s. All four cylinders are in a single row (also known as a "Straight-4"). Most 6-cylinder engines are of the V6 variety- there are two banks of three cylinders mounted in a "V" formation (usually a right angle, if I'm not mistaken). There are also "Inline-6" engines, but they're far less common now than they were even 10 years ago. BMW is the only manufacturer I can think of that still uses an Inline-6.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    V-6s are usually at a 60 degree angle, and V-8s at 90 degrees.. (not all, but most).

Almost all 4-cylinders are in-line. The only one that comes to mind that isn't.. is the Subaru, which has a flat-four (two cylinders on each bank, horizontally opposed at 180 degrees).

The last V-4 that I remember was on Saabs in the early '70s?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mez4mez4 Member Posts: 5
    Last one in my state of Ohio for the 09's AWD. I like that I can finance now for 0% 72 months

2009 Fusion AWD w/
    Moon and Tune
    Spoiler
    Heated Leather Seats
    Reverse Sensing
    Total MSRP with Destination is $28,905

Dealer offer to sell me the car OTD for $29,664 which includes my local 6.75% tax. he said it was being sold for $500 above invoice. Seems there is about $900 in Ford Credit fees, and misc. Please advise on what should be a "sales" price for this.

Thanks
    Edmunds shows the Invoice Price as $26,396. They offer 0% financing for up to 72 months OR a $3500 cash rebate. Too bad it's an either/or deal, but it looks like the 0% APR is a better deal than taking the $3500 cash with a normal interest rate.

Something you may want to consider- the worst part of 6-year (72-month) financing is that you may end up with negative equity in the car. Depreciation often out-paces monthly payments on a 72-month loan. I financed my last car for 72 months, but made the payment as if it was a 60 month loan- with the addiitional paid toward principal. It's on track to be paid off in 58-months (Nov 2010). If you plan to keep the car until it's paid off, it's not a big deal.
  • mez4mez4 Member Posts: 5
    I did consider the $3,500 and with the 0% you are in essence using free money. It is nice to know that the entire payment will be going to principal :D . I plan on making an extra $1,000 paymetn each of the first 3 years to make sure If i need to trade in I can do so and not roll negative. I looked at the amortization and in 3 years without extra payments Ill owe about $14,500. Hopefully this car will hold about 50% of its value in 3 years. I only drive about 11K a year.
    I would aim for a lower price than the $29,664. That seems too high considering all the 2010's are starting to fill lots now. I think you should shoot for a target of around $26,000 with tax, title, and fees, $27,000 at most, along with the 0%. I bought a 2010 at the end of last month and ended up paying $200 less than invoice with a $500 rebate applied. (This is minus ttf, just the outright price of the car) Looking at my trade, I must have looked at something wrong, otherwise I could've gotten another $500-1000 taken off I think. But to get back to the main point, I think you could get down to $26-27k range.
  • frostbyte3964frostbyte3964 Member Posts: 30
    If you aren't going to keep the car the entire time, it is highly unlikely that the interest rate will pay off more than the $3500. I would seriously consider the $3500. Look at the interest paid for just 3 years on the car at your desired payment and I would guess it's far less than $3500.
    Three years seems to be the break-even point, where the 0% APR savings tops $3500. That's based on the assumption of 6.9% for 72 months, which may not be realistic.
    It is nice to know that the entire payment will be going to principal

Of course reality is that you are just paying all the interest up front by giving up the $3500.

$29,664 paid over 6 years would be $412 per month. If you took the rebate, you would pay $26,164, financed at 4% for 6 years would give you a payment of $409. So the break even interest rate would be more like about 4%, depending on how much you finanace and if you pay extra as you suggested you would (which makes no sense, btw. It'd be better to put the extra cash in a money market or CD and earn a little interest).
  • njalannjalan Member Posts: 70
    I am planning to buy either a 2009 or 2010 Milan AWD with most of the popular options including navigation. However, there is very little information, if any, on the Milan. I need all the help I can get from this forum.

I live in central New Jersey. What would be a good starting point of negotiation, the MSRP, Invoice or the TMV? There is $3500 cash back on the 2009 and only $1000 cash incentive on the 2010. Which one would be a better buy? What is the going price for a fully AWD, invoice less $3500 plus tax and tag for 2009, or invoice less $1000 plus tax and tag for 2010? Since most AWD cars are not hot sell cars I wonder if the selling price can go below the invoice.

Any suggestion/advice is appreciated.
  • fusionguyfusionguy Member Posts: 6
    I have received quotes from 2 local dealers on a similar '09 Fusion. I was surprised that the dealers calculated the sales tax amount differently. If anyone out there would know which method is correct, I would appreciate it.
    Dealer 1 took my X-plan price minus the current $3500 rebate to get their final sales price, and then calculated the sales tax amount from this final price.
    Dealer 2 took my X-plan price and calculated the sales tax amount from it, and then subtracted the $3500 rebate.
    So Dealer 2 is collecting about $260 more in sales tax from me than Dealer 1.
    Which dealer has the correct and legal method for collecting sales tax? Thanks.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    That would depend on the state you live in. Method two is correct for Florida.
    V4 are mostly used in motorcycles.
    I hope this is not too late. When I was living in Ohio, I bought a 02 Explorer XLT V8 with 0 % down and 0% interest for 5 years. They wouldn't do much with the price and basically said it's either the special rate or the cash-back which I could put towards the downpayment. And at that time, I was thinking pretty much in line like you that it's "free money" and I took the special rate (and I didn't care back then because I had a lot more $$$ in the reserve to spend). Then I learned more, and to be honest with you... they could have sold me the car for A LOT LESS and they can sell you the car for a lot less too. Don't worry about if it's the last 09 AWD in Ohio. They can get one from Indy, Michigan, or any neighbor states for the same low price. And if you said this is a 09 model, well, 2010 is out and they want to get rid of all 09s so you should be get it much under invoice. Good luck. :shades:
  • kym3kym3 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking for 2009 ford Fusion new cars.
    (1) 2009 Fusion SE 2.3L I4 Engine, 5-speed autotransmission, moon roof
    Total MSRP $22,570, after rebate and before tax & fees price will be 17,564
    (2) 2009 Fusion SE 3.0L I6 Engine, 6 speed autotransmission, mmon roof, rear spoiler, reverse sensing, after rebate and before tax & fees price will be 19,700
    (3) 2009 Fusion SE 3.0L I6 Engine, 6 speed autotransmission, mmon roof, rear spoiler, reverse sensing, leather seat,after rebate and before tax & fees price will be 20,841

I would like to know about the price. How much less can we argue?
    Thanks.
  • timcanterburytimcanterbury Member Posts: 1
    Car has Performance Appearance Package w/ wheels, interior, etc. MSRP is $22,690. After $3500 rebate we got it down to $16,999, with $1328 due for taxes, titles, etc. Is this in line with current 2009 prices? I understand they're trying to move them to make room for the 2010 models. Many thanks for any insight...
  • jeff_hjeff_h Member Posts: 20
    That sounds pretty good to me, you are getting $3,500 rebate and another $2,100 off beyond that, which is great. If you do the price with options here on Edmunds (I don't know the exact options on the one you're looking at), you will probably find that your price is very close to invoice price or even a bit below, it sure doesn't sound like much above it. If this is a 2009 model that is understandable, the 2010 models are rolling in and a dealer probably wants to move the 09 models off the lot so it's a good deal for you!
  • dagny1208dagny1208 Member Posts: 1
    We got the 2009 Fusion SE / 2.3L / i4 engine / 5 speed automatic / sport appearance package(SAP) / moon roof . rear spoiler / 6 mos of Sirius for 16,465 before tax and other fees. The dealer in California took off 7000 from the MSRP of 23,465. We bought this car on 6/05/09. Color is vapor silver / dark charcoal leather seat.

The one w/o the SAP goes for 15650 before tax ( MSRP of 22,650 less 7000) in white platinum /camel interior. So we basically paid 815 more for SAP which includes 18" chrome wheels / dark leather seats / sport tuned suspension.

The bay area dealer is getting rid of 2009 models to amke room for the 2010 so I think we got a good deal.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a finance magazine is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a vehicle and ended up with some options by the dealer at little or no extra cost. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to [email protected] by Tuesday, June 16, 2009.
  • lbond1lbond1 Member Posts: 5
    do I get a good deal on a '09 se v6 loaded (everything i would need) msrp 25600 currently priced at 21000 OR wait and get a 2010 fusion at a future date. Is the wait worth it? I like both. please help make up my mind either way. thanks
  • jeff_hjeff_h Member Posts: 20
    Well of course you will save more money getting one of the remaining '09 models off the lot, but I believe there was a redesign from the '09 to '10 models. So depending on your preference for the looks of one over the other (unless the price is your primary consideration, in that case you won't beat the '09 price), I say get a good look at each and go with the one you'd most prefer to look at every day for the next several years.
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    I don't think that is a good deal at all. Most base S models are being advertised at $6000 off, so I would say you should get at least that much off sticker. Be very careful, also, as used prices of the old body style has dropped since the 2010 model have come out. I just bought an 08 SE 4 cyl for $10900 with 30,000 miles on it.
  • lbond1lbond1 Member Posts: 5
    what would be my target price before any incentives or trade ins? This is an almost one year old car and the old body style if that counts.
    My best friend works for a company that provides him with a new vehicle every 60-70k miles. He even gets to 'order' the car to his specs- color choices, options (he has to pay for upgrades when the car is ordered) but it's a sweet deal. He usually gets a new one every 15-18 months.

He's ordering his next one in a few weeks (a 2010 Taurus Limited) and I have the chance to buy his 2008 Fusion SEL V6 for $9600. It's black with black leather, Audiophile stereo, power moonroof, rear spoiler, reverse sensing and has traction control. It's in very good physical condition inside and out and has been maintained perfectly (they get 'dinged' if they fail to have the fleet cars serviced).

So I'm debating whether I should buy this 2008 Fusion (with 70-75k miles) for $4k under Trade-In (Edmunds) or keep my 2006 Mazda3 with the same mileage?

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I would take the Fusion, but then, what do I know?
    What will you be able to sell the 3 for?

Why is the Fusion so cheap...$4000 below trade in would seem like too good a deal to pass up. Is it his to sell and he is giving you a deal or is the company selling it?

60-70K mi in 15-18 months...wow! that is a lot of driving.
    Private Party value of my Mazda3 is about $10,400, so it would be about the same amount as the Fusion.

The cars are owned and managed by a fleet/leasing company and they offer them for sale to the company employee or any member of his/her family (best friends for 21 years, close enough). I'm not sure why they price them so low, but his previous company vehicle was a 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer with everything but 4WD, new sticker was $36k. He racked up 74k miles in only 16 months in it, trade-in value was $19,500+ and my parents bought it for $15,250. And my sister has the '06 Explorer XLT that he had before that....cost her just under $11k with about 80k miles.

He lives in the Birmingham, AL area but his territory covers all of Southern Alabama and Southern Georgia...a lot of miles to get from any one to the another. He's had some 2000-mile weeks before. He just got promoted and won't be on the road nearly as much, so he'll probably have his next one for a few years.

The only (rather small) things I don't like on the Fusion are the Piano Black interior trim and the leather seats aren't heated! On the '09 models, the leather seats are all heated. I'd also love to find a set of the 18" wheels from the Sport Appearance Package to upgrade the existing 17" alloys. But those are all small things....
  • hickorychickoryc Member Posts: 25
    First dealer visited stated Z-Plan buyers are not entitled to $1,000 incentive. Purchased a certified used Expedition 5+ years ago from the 1st dealer and have enjoyed flawless years of ownership (Now think it is a very good SUV, no credit to the dealership). Second stop was Banner Ford, Mandeville, LA. They stated Z-Plan buyers are entitled to the incentive. If tomorrow's paperwork proves this to be true, I will report it here. Have not seen the Fusion yet. Circuitous route taken by train from Mexico, up through Missouri, back down South through Mississippi, to unloading point on July 4 at New Orleans. Dealer is able to track "live" status of vehicles on order. More to follow... :shades:
  • sp4littlejohnsp4littlejohn Member Posts: 1
    I'm retired from FMC and a while back I got a call from my grand-daughter and her husband who wanted to use my "Friends & Family" discount in buying a new Ford Fusion. I was to meet them at a dealership near the husbands home, Speedway Ford in Griffin, Ga. which, today I'm sure was a prearranged deal by the husband. I got to the dealership and got them a PIN number so they could buy a car as long as I "co-signed" for it which I was willing to do. The finance person at the dealership brought out the paperwork and said "sign here" on the paperwork which I did and they got a 2009 Ford Fussion to drive away in.
    Weeks later I got a call from my grand-daughter who told me that her husband was out whoring around and she didn't know where he was with the 2009 Ford Fussion. A week later I got a call from Citi-Bank telling me that I was late in my payment on "MY" Ford Fusion, the dealership put the car in my name with the husband as my co-signer and the dealership refuses to do anything to correct their screw up.
    :mad: I've received two and three calls every day, seven days a week since that time from Citi-Bank who also won't do anything about a car that I neither own nor for that matter have even turned the key on and today the car is out wandering somewhere in Texas.
    :( My credit rating is effected and going lower every day but the dealership made their sale and Citi-Bank can always attach my pension since they can't find the car. If they did it would show up as a repossession on me and the finance company will get their losses out of attaching my pension.
    Stay away from Speedway Ford but according to my grand-daughter that Ford Fussion is a great car when it's around but then again it makes a darn good get-away too.
    Sorry to hear about your situation. The finance folks at the dealership are jerks, to say the least.

If I'm understanding, you're saying that he has left your granddaughter, he has the Fusion and he's not making payments on it? Correct?

Technically, you DO own the car if you are the 'primary' on the loan! You can legally take posession of the vehicle...and you should! Get the car back and sell it! That will save your credit rating from being damaged further. If you can afford it, you might want to consider paying the loan current immediately while you're trying to get the car back!

As for getting the car back, repo men will work for an individual just like they will a bank. They usually earn $350-$400 for a typical car repo, so you could expect to pay $400 or so for them to take repo it for you. Maybe pay them an extra $100 to beat the crap out of your granddaughter's soon-to-be ex-husband if they see him!!!

Another possible solution- report the car stolen! It's registered in your name and he left the state in it without your consent...that constitutes theft in most states (Georgia for one, but not sure about Texas).

Don't let this SOB ruin your credit and/or end up causing you to lose any more money than absolutely necessary!
  • frostbyte3964frostbyte3964 Member Posts: 30
    If you sign without reading, you are in trouble. Even as a cosigner you would still be screwed. That's why they call it a cosigner. Because the signer couldn't get it otherwise. I heard a statistic once that about 80% to 90% of loans with a cosigner get defaulted on or the cosigner ends up paying for it or has their credit ruined. #1 rule, don't cosign if you aren't willing to pay for it yourself. Not much you can do about it other than pay for the car yourself and try and get it from him and sell it to .... me. ^_^
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I doubt you can report it as stolen, even if it's in your name, considering he had your permission to drive the car. Though, if you can get it "re-poed", since he isn't making payments, that would be a good start.. You might inquire about recovery services.

And, our other member is correct. It doesn't matter if you are the borrower, or the co-signer. You are completely and fully responsible for the payments. That is the whole point of the bank needing a co-signer (and, a big red flag, if someone needs you for that).

If it were me, I'd start making those payments. You guaranteed that loan, and you will wreck your credit if you don't keep it current. (Or, ask your granddaughter to make them). This problem is not going to go away.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I don't think it is a dealer scam. You agreed to be responsible for the payments, or did you just think the whole thing is for fun and games?

don't blame the dealer , blame yourself , and your daughter and son in law.

sheeesh!
    If you can prove that the dealer forged your signature on the paperwork, I think you would have a good chance in a lawsuit.