Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier Lexus IS 250 / IS 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    richbf2richbf2 Member Posts: 73
    so, how much is it, drive out price? did you get the 250 or 350? did you test drive the car? how was it?
    if you don't mind me asking
  • Options
    joeletaxijoeletaxi Member Posts: 3
    I've driven a couple of AWDs, but the dealers here (Seattle area) haven't had any RWD 250s. I'm wondering if the handling is better due to lighter weight and just the whole RWD feel compared to the AWD. RWD is listed as faster times, gets an extra 50 miles per tank of gas, and costs less. Has anybody driven both and can offer a comparison?
    The car is selling here as quick as they come in.
    TIA
  • Options
    sprsnicsprsnic Member Posts: 55
    Where did you get this deal at?
  • Options
    sdiver68sdiver68 Member Posts: 125
    Well, not since my first owned car, an 88 MR2, has Toyota or Lexus been able to earn my business. This time around, it is Lexus arrogance on price that stopped the deal. I offered a guaranteed out the door deal on an ordered 250IS AWD splitting the difference between invoice and MSRP and they balked...so we went a different direction. Good luck to those who wait...we decided given the downsides it wasn't worth the wait for reasonable deals.
  • Options
    sander1sander1 Member Posts: 6
    I agree... way overblown regarding this car and it's performance. It's a nice luxury sedan with a sporty twang to it at best. I drove the 250 AWD. The best I can say is that the car is just plain slow. The interior is nice, and the push button start is a plus, but to really enjoy the luxury options you need to get the nav. for an extra 3k plus. The sales person told me it's not full time all wheel drive, rather 30% front 70% rear and that he is not yet sure how it will even do in the snow. He stated the AWD is a reactionary system that kicks in after your wheels start to spin. He also told me that Lexuas does a good job of adjusting to consumer demands quickly, so the car is bound to have a few changes in the next 6 months. Xenon lights as an option for 1. I also drove the BMW 325XI, which had more pick up but a god-awful interior and only run flat tires for the life of the car which is costly.
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    "run flat tires for the life of the car which is costly".

Are they really ? I just checked the runflat prices on the 17" 330i wheels compaired to the 18" that are being shipped on the IS. The Run flats were $206.00 each. The 18" fronts were $250.00 each and the rears were $311.00 each. Plus the 18" staggered set up cannot be rotated. I suspect that in 2-3 years when you need new tires there will be many more Run flats available , and lower prices.

DL
  • Options
    I would say the best thing to do is find yourself a good insurance package with the run flats. Check the details though. Pirelli is supposed to be making a run flat that can be plugged but not sure yet. If you get a lot of nails/leaks it's a costly feature when most of us can change a tire or have road side or AAA.
  • Options
    dil3dil3 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my IS350 tonight. Pick it up Sat. Same veh, $36,944. Paid $35,800 and feel I was taken. The only extra charge $17 to file for my reg and title electronically. I'm still torn with the Mustang GT convertible I can get for dealer cost, but I've had great luck w/ Toyota products.
  • Options
    mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    If you don't mind me asking....where did you get your deal?
    I am assuming the only options on your car are the 18" wheels with the summer tires and that $194.00 floor mat pack right?
    Did you happen to drive the IS250? If so, what is your thoughts on that one? Is the extra $4K for the 350 worth it? I think the main difference between the 2 is the 100 extra hp and the stability Control thing right?
    Thanks
  • Options
    andyrooandyroo Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone in the SOCAL gotten an IS350 with lux package yet? I'm really lookin for the 350 with lux cuz of the bi-xenon lights, I don't want to get afterstocks, thanks in advance for any replies
  • Options
    emp1emp1 Member Posts: 5
    Just got home from dealer in DC area. Got IS 250 RWD with Navi for 1700.00 under MSRP. (Total: 32,600 including destination). We opted not to get many of the extra options. Initially they insisted they were going for MSRP and rebuffed our lower offer. With our persistance, they eventually softened and we walked out with what we think is a good deal.
  • Options
    lbailylbaily Member Posts: 25
    Which DC area dealer? Lindsay? DARCARS?...
  • Options
    Lindsay gave us the deal. Good luck.
  • Options
    starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    I tried to make a deal today on the IS250 sticker was $32,890 dealer would not budge on cent below MSRP. I was paying cash willing to write him a check and he refused to do anything.

Lexus needs to grow up I can get better deals elsewhere back to the Acura or Infiniti it is.
  • Options
    footballfanfootballfan Member Posts: 2
    My local dealer is getting very few new cars, and we are only 1 or 2 Lexus dealers in the whole state. I have been on the waiting list for a 250 AWD since June and still have not idea on when my car will be coming in. Why did Lexus do such a huge marketing campaign on the new IS but can't match it with the supply.
  • Options
    jamaica77jamaica77 Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking of going to Lindsay as well - been there twice to test drive and size up the IS. I'm looking at the same thing - 250 RWD with minimal options. Did you buy or lease? If lease, what Money Factor are they quoting there? I've seen base of .0028 and residuals at .60, so I'm trying to figure out what I should expect. (3 yr lease, 15k per year)

I'm also arm wrestling with BMW of Arlington on their inflated 3 series...
  • Options
    intenceintence Member Posts: 32
    Keep in mind that the cars just started trickling in, and many of the first cars probably went to those who pre-ordered. I would expect more cars in the next few weeks, I also understand that Lexus has 2 plants that produce the new IS, with one acting as an overflow plant. Once both are online, I would expect supply of the IS to be plentiful.
  • Options
    mdodgemdodge Member Posts: 3
    Did you order the car or take one out of the dealer's stock?

Thanks!
  • Options
    We were very happy with Lindsay. We bought so I can't comment on leasing. Good luck.
  • Options
    We had to order the car and unfortunately will have to wait 60-90 days. The options on the lot were for the most part fully loaded IS's. So we were willing to wait to get what we wanted and frankly, could afford.
  • Options
    Just purchased my new IS350....18"wheels w/summer tires, accessory package (wheel locks, floor mats, cargo net, etc)
    MSRP $36,944.00.....Price Paid $34,654 plus TTL....
    Crystal White W/Black Leather....sked to arrive on Dec 01..
    Can't wait!!!!!
  • Options
    How did you get it that cheap? Any tricks used have friends that work at Lexus or what? I can't bargin one cent off MSRP....
  • Options
    Would you be able to tell us where you're located or which dealer you purchased from?
  • Options
    To tell you the truth I about fell out of my chair also because all of the other dealers were pushing MSRP.
    All you have to do is send an internet quote to Wilde Lexus of Sarasota (Florida). There is only one internet sales guy (that's what he told me) and he should shoot you an email with the price. The dealership is just beautiful....looks like it is brand new but has been open for about 2 years now. When I was there they were extremely busy.....it was a Monday mid afternoon and raining off and on and they were still busy. EVERYONE was test driving the IS....as soon as one came back from a test drive, it was gone again on another test drive. People were actually waiting to drive these things.....
    My deal was straight forward.....take delievery around Dec 1st....put down a deposit and signed the purchase agreement. Done deal! No games, no tricks, no bs.....
    Shoot them an email.....see what happens!
    Happy Motoring!
  • Options
    tonyguy2000tonyguy2000 Member Posts: 39
    Hi,

Do you have your salesman's name and e-mail address?

tks, Tony
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    Sorry, we don't permit the exchange of information about specific salespeople. See the "Rules of the Road," particularly #6: http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/rulesoftheroad.html

Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    jc7098jc7098 Member Posts: 17
    This doesn't surprise me. I've shopped several Lexus dealers in FL and Wilde Lexus seems to have the best deals on all models.
  • Options
    is4me2is4me2 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the info. I was able to get the internet quote and it is $2500 under MSRP for all the options I wanted included. Since I've already ordered the car through Tampa I'll wait and see if they are going to match or better it.
  • Options
    Did you order your car through Lexus of Tampa Bay? Or Clearwater? Are you from the Sarasota area? If so did you check with them before ordering through Tampa? I was going to get my through Tampa but didn't want to pay full MSRP so I told them I would come back. Took a shot in the dark with Wilde and bam....$2500 under MSRP without even trying!
    Plus it was a straight forward deal....no bs....just awaiting the arrival of my color combo....and to top it all off the dealership is top notch!!!!!
    What options did you get?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Any word on what is December to Remember sales event is?
  • Options
    My friend is a mechanic for Toyota in NJ and he tells me that both the 250 and 350 use special high friction brake pads which wear out extremely fast and break down the rotors as well. He said you should be monitoring the brake pads within 15K miles and that the rotors will get you to about 40-50K with average braking use. Combined with the low treadlife on these tires, it seems that this car is going to cost much more to maintain. Nothing luxuruous about that I guess... Has anyone heard about this? He said it is in the brochure..
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I guess Toyota is really trying to be like Europeans. BMW and MB (as examples) use high-carbon content brake pads that provides great bite, but high level of dust. BMW also uses fairly thin rotors in order to reduce unsprung weight. So a typical BMW would need to change the pad and rotor at each brake service, but DIYers will replace the rotors every other service. Unless one rides the brake all the time, they should still last >30,000 miles. I have never replaced pads/rotors before 30,000 miles on any of the cars we own (03 M5, 02 530 before that, 94 Integra, 04 Sienna) and I drive in DC metro area with lots of stop-and-go.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.. I'm deciding between an awd 325 BMW and AWD IS, but they are totally different vehicles....
    The BMW is nicely balanced ride and replaces your pads/rotors if needed for the first 4yrs/50k... but the interior luxury of the Lexus is much nicer. The maintenance on both is a big consideration, especially with BMW and run-flat tires. I guess I'm just not used to having to replace tires brakes and rotors on any of my cars before 45-50K, but times have changed I guess.
  • Options
    Not sure about the brake story. I know the old IS had excellent brakes that were very grippy, produced very little dust, and lasted quite a while.
  • Options
    hoverdrivehoverdrive Member Posts: 16
    I can confirm what sender1 wrote. It's on page 37 of the brochure under "Disclaimers". It applies to the front breaks only.
  • Options
    The rear's aren't vented on the 250, solid disk.

DL
  • Options
    Sorry it took me so long to respond, holiday shopping and all. Went through Lexus of Tampa Bay. I'm from Sarasota and tried them first but dealt with a new salesman who kept pushing me to come back and test drive after I'd already been there twice and told him I was ready to order. So I left there and called my Tampa salesman (bought three from him previously) and told him what I wanted on the phone and gave the deposit. Haven't discussed the cost yet but the Wilde internet guy is waiting in the wings. He said they probably won't be getting in any IS 350's with sports packaging though unless special ordered. I ordered the IS 350 Tungsten Pearl with black leather interior, sports package, and navigation. According to Sarasota that would list for $42,499. They would sell it for $39,980 plus $489.50 dealer fee and tax and tags. That is still quite a bit over invoice but if you want the car when it is first out you have to pay for it. So, I'm waiting for the car to come in to Tampa and will see what kind of deal they are offering. If they aren't going to budge off of MSRP I'll say thank you very much and order it and wait again from Sarasota. I'll already have waited three months now by the time it comes in so the price should keep going down. I do like the Sarasota dealership and they do a good job in the service dept.
  • Options
    audballaudball Member Posts: 13
    I'll vouch for Wilde Lexus of Sarasota as well. After reading the posts here about the success of getting a deal below MSRP (completely impossible from the Austin, Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio dealers), I requested a quote from their webpage, and got the same deal mentioned above (~$2500 below MSRP). The gentleman who contacted me immediately via email, then again with a follow up by phone today, was prompt, courteous and honest with the details. (Speaking of the details, even the Virginia, etc. dealers I called didn't have any Sport options in stock, and that's the only region with a chance of having it in stock, given the results I got testing tons of zipcodes in the online Lexus configurator. Every salesperson I've talked has given the same information - nationwide, if you want the Sport package, it's special-order).

I'll post here again when I have the faxed order receipt and shipping costs to Austin (~$500 seems to be on par). I don't know how I'm going to wait 60-90days for my Blue Onyx Pearl/Cashmere/Sport/Nav/Sat! Until then, I definitely recommend Wilde Lexus of Sarasota.
  • Options
    Thanks for the follow up....one question though....when you put down the deposit on the car they didn't tell you what the price would be? Can you get you deposit back even though they get your car in and you decide to go to Sarasota? Did you special order the car, or did you place a deposit on one of the models coming to their showroom?
    As mentioned in my earlier posts....I gave up on Lexus of Tampa Bay....was not willing to pay full MSRP. Just out of a whim I put in an internet request with Wilde and bam the price came back. Taking $2500 off MSRP is good enough for me, especially since this car is hot...I hope all goes well for you....let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    Glad to hear your experience so far is going good....
    I am sure we talked to the same person since he is the only one that works in that department....I think....
    So are they going to special order your car for you? The lead time will be 90 days? I should be taking delivery of mine next weekend since I will be out of town this coming week...can't wait! Once I have signed all of the paperwork I will post my final experience!
  • Options
    audballaudball Member Posts: 13
    I'm sure we spoke with the same gentleman - I would post the name, etc., but I think I saw a post a page or so back stating it's against the forum rules/etiquitte. Like you, I figured the $2500 off (in reality, $2K of when I subtract shipping costs) was significantly good enough, given the demand for the vehicle, especially in my region of the country where dealerships aren't budging on MSRP.

Definitely post how the rest of your buying/pickup experience goes -- I'll have to live vacariously through folks like yourself until my order arrives in a few months time. At least I'll gain some interest on the money I have set aside for the vehicle purchase :-)
  • Options
    heidiiheidii Member Posts: 2
    I got a price of 32,200 on an IS 250 with the premium package. I can pick it up at a dealership,but the distance is a two day drive. Sarasota is a one day drive. How long is it taking to have your car ordered to receive it ?
    Heidi
  • Options
    heidiiheidii Member Posts: 2
    I just sent in for a quote on the IS250 to Sarasota. Is this what you did ? I got $1000 off a tungsten with sterling interior with premium package but it is a 2 day drive for me to get it. Also, I can get it now. I can only wait another 2-3 weeks to get it in at a dealership.
    H.
  • Options
    realthorrealthor Member Posts: 26
    audball, were you not interested in any stock vehicles? I'm in Houston and I'm considering this method as well, but I don't want to wait for 90 days. Let me know how you went about getting your deal. Thanks!
  • Options
    IS 250 $31,160 Invoice $27419,00
    Prem $1290.00 Invoice $1032.00
    Freight $590.00
    Looks like you $840.00 Off not including any fee's they may be including. Or $3159.00 Over Invoice.

It appears they are dealing better on a loaded up IS350 (see above)

Is350 $35440.00 Invoice $31,186
    Nav $2550.00 Invoice $2168.00
    Sport $3669.00 Invoice $2956.00
    Freight $590.00
    Offered $39.980.oo List $42,275.00 ($2875.00 Over Invoice)

Perhaps your local dealer would come off $840 at least and save you the travel. Or see if Sarasota would Deliver at that price ? They would still be making over $2500.00.

Good Luck,
    DL
  • Options
    When I gave the initial deposit ($500) that was to preference the car (get my name on a list that I was interested to buy when one came in). They didn't have the cost of the car/options at that point. I will be able to get the $500 back even if I don't take the car when it comes in. I didn't give any more money down when I placed the special order for the exact car I wanted a month later. I really don't think I'll have a problem getting them to match Wilde of Sarasota as a few years ago I had put a deposit at Wilde of Sarasota for a different Lexus and Tampa called me with a better deal and Wilde wouldn't match it so I went with Tampa (Wilde had a different owner then). At that time Tampa told me a deposit didn't mean anything and I can get my money back at anytime. On this deal I told Wilde I had given a $500 deposit to Tampa and they told me that if I decided to buy from them Tampa had to refund it by law. The internet guy from Sarasota was very nice, quick to respond, and didn't pressure also and he said to see how the Tampa deal goes and then contact him if I'm not happy with it. I'm glad you will be getting your car soon. FYI if you get it before Dec. 31 you can deduct the sales tax on you taxes for 2005.
  • Options
    I was just curious, did you take your quote from Wilde Lexus to the Austin dealership and ask them to match it and did they refuse? If so, it looks like Sarasota will be getting a lot of business for awhile until some of these other dealerships stop being so greedy on this car. Because I think the key here is that Wilde Lexus of Sarasota is looking at the long term for a customer relationship while the others are looking for a quick buck.
  • Options
    Heidii,

Yes....all I did was send in an internet quote on a IS350 and he sent me back my figure which was about $2500 below sticker....so between invoice and MSRP I ended up in the middle.....not bad on such a hot car.....from what I have read....Lexus thinks they are going to sell 3 IS250's for every one IS350. Not sure if that will have an effect on the price or not....but you may want to ask the person who answered your quote request. I can't put his name in this forum as it is against the rules....but we all are talking to the same guy......he's straight forward, honest, nice, and professional.....no pressure.....great dealership!
  • Options
    jc7098jc7098 Member Posts: 17
    According to the Lexus web site, the "December to Remember" sale is upon us (supposed to be on all models). Anyone have any news on this from a dealership and how it affects their MSRP stance on the IS's?
  • Options
    andyevandyev Member Posts: 6
    I went on Friday to a dealership in Dallas and was told that it excluded the IS. When I told them their website and the ad on TV said it was for all models, he said the ad was wrong and they wouldn't budge on the pricing of the IS. Helps me make my decision to the G35 or TL.