Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Want to purchase a newer vehicle. Looking for some advice on reliable cars I should be looking at.

KasandraKasandra AlbertaPosts: 2
edited September 2017 in General
I currently own a Ford Focus '03, but am looking to purchase a newer vehicle as I am no longer able to drive it safely. There is a ton of problems that have come up the last time I got it inspected and it doesn't drive well. I can't bring myself to put more money into the car to fix it, as the amount of money it will cost to repair everything costs more than I spent to buy it. I was looking at newer Ford Focus' but I heard that they suck in terms of reliability, so I'm on the fence.

Now, this is where I'm hoping people can offer some advice. I'm looking to purchase a reliable car that will last me a while (6+ years) and won't cost too much in terms of maintenance. I live in Alberta, Canada, which means it needs to be good for winter (AWD or FWD). I don't know how to drive a manual, so automatic transmission is preferred.

I am a student, so most of my driving is to and from school/work. I need something affordable. I am likely going to have to take out a loan or finance, so I'm willing to spend no more than $15,000 (less the better). Looking for a few features that are in newer vehicles (e.g., bluetooth, remote start, back up camera), though back up camera isn't a huge priority.

If anyone can offer up some advice on what I should look at I would really appreciate it. Reliability, safety, and low maintenance costs are priorities.

Comments

• KasandraKasandra AlbertaPosts: 2
    I would also like to ask the question, is it better to buy used or a brand new vehicle? I get that it's a loaded question, but I'm curious what everyone's opinions on this topic is.
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco new yorkPosts: 3,838
    best bet would be any Toyota! hope this helps
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco new yorkPosts: 3,838
    used is the best bet or leese!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    You might look at Subaru, but not too old or too many miles. People seem to love 'em.

As for new vs. used, I think the best of both worlds would be a used car that still has factory warranty. That way you don't take the depreciation hit of a new car but you still have some protection from mechanical failures.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    I would look for a Honda CRV or a Toyota Rav-4. Subarus are good too but you can buy a bad one if not careful.
  • berriberri Posts: 9,866
    Unfortunately, good Japanese brands like the above often aren't all that much cheaper than just buying a new one, unless it is old or miled up.
    That's true. Maybe a Hyundai? Unless things have changed these have poor resale values compared to Toyota or Honda and are pretty good cars now!
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 110,490
    With a $15,000 budget, you are likely limited to used vehicles.

As noted, Japanese brands will likely give you the best reliability, but to get a good one at that price may be difficult.

A brand you may not have thought of is Mitsubishi, if these are available in Canada. Not a lot of frills, but pretty reliable and available with AWD.

You may also consider something like the Chevrolet Trax - they have only been out a couple of years, but they may have depreciated to your budget level.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

The only trouble with Mitsubishi is a VERY poor dealer network. Not bad cars but they are barely alive in the U.S.