Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• Options
    silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    My daughter had one of those Kia Sephia's (2002 I think). She only kept if a few months and traded it in on a Ford Taurus because the Kia was very uncomfortable to her.

I will have to say that Kia has come a long way since then. They are a real bargain as a used car, but you will get clobbered by depreciation if you buy a new one.
  • Options
    xluxlu Member Posts: 457
    This was the review I posted in Yahoo Auto under the 2010 Toyota Corolla half year ago (8/29/09) after my test drive of it:

The steering is the worst one. I can not feel the center; it feels like a lot free play you can turn the steering wheel left and right without actually turning the car; and you can feel a lot resistance as if the power steering assistant does not kick in. But once you turn it more than 30 degrees, all of a sudden it becomes very light. That's scary. A good steering control like the BMW feels just opposite; light in center and gradually harder off center to prevent you lose control of the car
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Remember that in the past those cars were discounted heavily when new. Since depreciation is figured on msrp, the depreciation seemed worse than it actually was.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Seems that the overall reputation of Toyota cars has been the standard setter for quite some yrs untill now. What bothers me is the feet dragging of courprate Toyota. This, slow to respond, lack of prompt attention to issues of safety are not new to the auto industry. In defense of a Toyota car ('04 Prius) I must say that Ive never, I repeat, never found a car more dependable and reliable as I close in on 116,000 miles. If I found a defect etc. I would expect Toyota to respond IMMEDIATLY! For those owners with issues that were not remedied I say ....shame on Toyota for lack of responsible duty.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that, it is good information. I see most of the other posters are too busy thinking of something else bad to say about Toyota or just too stunned to comment. I am thinking that we have very much become a nation of cry babies !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    nmt001nmt001 Member Posts: 124
    Many people think that brake override is a fix for Toyota's unintended acceleration problem but the solution to the problem is not as simple as they think.

First of all, a brake override could have been a life saver as in the case of the CHP officer crashing on the highway at more than 100 mph after his family member called for help reporting a stuck accelerator.

However, a brake override is not a sure guarantee to prevent death and injures to pedestrians in parking lots due to unintended acceleration because the reaction time to react to sudden acceleration in order to prevent hitting pedestrians and shops is much shorter due to the proximity of potential dangers ahead.
    Read the complaint of a 2010 Camry owner ODI # 10293611 to see my point.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Moreover, some 2010 Camry owners complained that the car rolled back facing up slope as if it was in neutral when they took the foot off the brake to go to the gas pedal. Complaints on NHTSA website related to 2010 Camry roll back easily on slope can be found in complaints ODI # 10283276, 10310532,10310260, 10306566.

If there is a vehicle stopping close behind your vehicle with the above problem on a steep ramp going up while you have your right foot on the brake, the only way to ensure not hitting the vehicle behind is to carefully shift from using your right foot on the brake to using your left foot while pressing on the brake all the time, then gently step on the gas with your right foot while your left foot gently release pressure on the brake to let the car move forward. Such a maneuver would not be possible if a brake override is to be installed in future Toyotas.

Sure I would prefer that Toyota install brake override in their vehicles plagued by unintended acceleration. It would help to alleviate the problem but it is far from being a fix. Being a fix should mean the problem of unintended acceleration is solved, not just being overridden. Toyota must find out the cause of unintended acceleration not related to floor mat and sticky pedal as reported by some Toyota owners and it must solve the problem of 2010 Camry rolling back easily on idle speed when facing up slope should Toyota decides to put brake override in future productions.

Please read my post 5037 and 5041 in the link below to see the scope of the problem of unintended acceleration with the 2010 Camry.
    barronc, "2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs" #5022, 13 Feb 2010 7:53 am
  • Options
    xluxlu Member Posts: 457
    edited February 2010
    The basic controls of a car are accelerating, braking and steering. These are not only where the joy of driving come from, but also the life line of the safety.

Toyota screwed all of them. First the electronics acceleration control of the Camry, then the electronics braking of the Prius, now the electronics steering of the Corolla. These Toyota designs took away any driving fun. Most importantly, without a robust software design and a mechanical backup, they put the people's life in danger.

Go back to the basic, Toyota.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nmt....I've always believed the UA problem with Toyota was one of poor engineering.

For example, when all of the complaints came to light, some said to shut down the car. OK....that's all well and good, if you're not in a panic mode (which you will be if you're hurtling down the road at 60-70-100 MPH).

Then there's the case where many Toyota/Lexus vehicles have push button start. In those cars, Toyota deems it necessary to push the start/stop button for 3 secs before the engine shuts down. At 60 MPH, you're traveling at 88 feet/sec. That's 264 feet before the engine shuts down. Estimate another 150 feet to bring the car to a total halt after shutting down the engine by slamming on the brakes. You've traveled the length of a football field, hoping you can steer around whatever traffic or road obstacles you're bound to encounter.

Not well engineered or thought out by Toyota. But, as we've seen, this is becoming the rule as opposed to the exception by Toyota....whether it's their braking systems, steering systems, drive shafts, engine sludge, acceleration systems...and the list goes on and on. They've clearly cut engineering cycles and real world testing so much that these problems are becoming all too prevalent.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/SUAComplaints.pdf

> putting some heat on another auto manufacturer.

Depends on what the problems are about the speed control. Do they not work? Do they wander?

Or do they go out of control with unintended acceleration like toyota's?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    You mean the frames that were supplied by Dana Corp. based in Ohio?

Wonder if Toyota designed the frame that rusted out on my buddies F-250 that spent it's life on Cape Cod before literally splitting in half while making a dump run... :confuse:
  • Options
    PMOPMO Member Posts: 278
    edited February 2010
    The problem is a mind set ,it is like if you hear wind noise turn your radio up. steering means nothing back in the model A you allowed for play. This would insure your arms when driving in mud and snow. Toyota has built this in for North American drivers. Edmund's has a fleet of 12 and never saw any of this,but then most of their mats were out of place and guess what. I would look back over a year and remember how high Toyota was held and what it is today.
  • Options
    >Edmund's has a fleet of 12

Where did this info come from?

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Is Denso going to be the modern day equivalent of Lucas?
  • Options
    fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    And if its a "gated" shifter, (no idea, no toyota here) that would make it even worse.
  • Options
    Depends on what the problems are about the speed control. Do they not work? Do they wander?

Or do they go out of control with unintended acceleration like toyota's?

I would assume by the web address of the link:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/SUAComplaints.pdf

that SUA = "Sudden Unintended Acceleration".

I think that is what all the uproar is about, isn't it?

Until my Camry takes off on its on, it is my belief that the SUA is driver error. Has anyone on this forum reported SUA?

I do absolutely believe that that there have been instances of pedals sticking on all weather mats (the bottom of the pedal hangs on the top of the mat) and instances of the CTS pedals actually sticking on their own. Does this equal SUA? Maybe...but in my opinion, if one is aware of what their car is doing, they should realize that the engine is racing when it shouldn't be. What are we expecting? Cars that make all the decisions for us? Not in my lifetime.
  • Options
    And if its a "gated" shifter, (no idea, no toyota here) that would make it even worse.

My 2010 Camry has the gated shifter, but drive and neutral are in line. Just push the shifter straight up from drive to neutral.
  • Options
    fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    Like I said no idea, I drove a Hyundai with one, couldnt stand it. Every gear, literally, down......over.........left...over......down......over....right.....etc etc good thing it was a loaner!!!!
  • Options
    Knew this was going to happen.....this time, not only temporary plant shutdowns in the U.S., but in the U.K., too. Also looks like there will be permanent layoffs to go along with it. This will continue even further in my estimation:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/02/18/business/business-uk-toyota-britain.ht- ml

Then there's this from Congressman E. Towns who sums the situation up pretty well...

"Toyota has recalled millions of its vehicles and even halted production. In addition, there are reports that this problem may have been the direct cause of serious injury and even death.

"There appears to be growing public confusion regarding which vehicles may be affected and how people should respond. In short, the public is unsure as to what exactly the problem is, whether it is safe to drive their cars or what they should do about it," the congressman said. "To help clarify this situation, I am inviting you to testify."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota19-2010feb19,0,503484.story
  • Options
    One of the few rational posts that I have read here. I agree completely.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Only on internet forums where hysterical and paranoid members post wild speculation and make unfounded allegations in areas where they have no technical expertise.

I will look around later and see if I can find such a place on the internet. ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Please note that shutting off the engine immediately is NOT the proper way to stop a vehicle with a stuck accelerator or throttle while it is speeding out of control.

If you need to stop immediately to avoid a collision, shift the gear to neutral N with your foot hard on the brake. Do NOT pump the brake.

If you need to coast to a stop on the side of the road and there is no immediate danger of hitting anything ahead, put the emergency flasher on and then shift the gear to neutral with your foot controlling the brake.

If you do not have enough momentum to move to the shoulder of a freeway, you should step hard on the brake and shift to drive D momentarily. Once you have enough momentum to move to the shoulder, shift back to neutral with your foot controlling the brake.

Once you have stopped at a safe location in neutral and with your foot hard on the brake, you must turn off the engine before you shift to park P because the gear in neutral has to go through reverse R with an engine running at very high rpm before reaching the park position. The vehicle may jerk backwards suddenly if you don't turn off the engine before shifting to park.

For explanation of why you should not turn off the engine immediately while experience a stuck gas pedal or throttle on the road, please watch the following video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT07_JbnKWQ&feature=related
  • Options
  • Options
    hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    this is hot off the press:

Dimitrios Biller, who headed a corporate legal team that defended Toyota in rollover-accident lawsuits, took some 6,000 internal documents with him when he left Toyota in 2007, and has since sued the automaker under U.S. racketeering laws. He has said the documents support his allegations that the company systematically hid or destroyed legal evidence that would have led to costly trials in the United States.
  • Options
    GG, that is all we need. I am sure our esteemed Congressmen will get to the bottom of this and have everything ship shape in short order. After all, they have such a stellar track record.

The most surprising thing about Congress is that some of them actually manage to find their way to work each day !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    houdini....I don't have much, if any, faith in Congress. But, dang.....it seems Toyota is running out of options here. Either do something definitive and put everything (and I do mean everything) out there for a reputable 3rd party to review (and I don't believe the NHTSA is going to be unbiased given how many former NHTSA people are on Toyota's payroll). Or, take your chances with Congress and put the issue to bed once and for all.

Mr Toyoda isn't doing himself, or his company, any favors by ducking out of a Congressional Q&A. If anything, it would be an opportunity for him to suck it up, state Toyota's case, have it on the record, and move on. If not, this is just going to linger, and linger, and linger some more.

It's a pretty safe bet that Toyota is already going to be looking at heavy fines, in this country, and probably others. What does Mr. Toyoda have to lose at this point? It can't get any worse, can it? Or, maybe it can. And, that's the reason he's not welcoming Congress' invitation.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    "Only on internet forums where hysterical and paranoid members post wild speculation and make unfounded allegations in areas where they have no technical expertise.

I will look around later and see if I can find such a place on the internet."

Is this the place you are looking for?
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Just choose VEHICLE, 2010, TOYOTA, CAMRY and Select Component, then click on Get Summary.
    Wow, 54 complaints and lots of them about uninteded acceleration.

Wonder why so many Toyota 2010 Camry owners would reveal their Vehicle Identification Number when they "post wild speculation and make unfounded allegations " on the internet against their own new Carmy knowing that bad mouthing their 2010 Camry with VIN disclosed would make it depreciate in resale value.

Now choose VEHICLE, 2010, HONDA, ACCORD and Select Component, then click on Get Summary.
    Oh, only three complaints and none about unintended acceleration.

I just can't figure out why all the "hysterical and paranoid " customers had decided to buy Toyota instead of Honda.

Were these Toyota/Lexus customers hysterical and paranoid too?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MyxGUUtE8A&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZWPItpu2bM&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYWqqgr7Wcg
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    What are we expecting? Cars that make all the decisions for us? Not in my lifetime.

I personally think this whole fiasco is a result of too many electronic gadgets taking away the control of our vehicles. Many cars you cannot decide to spin your tires to get going on slick surfaces. I have never had a problem without ABS, ESC, PQR and XYZ. Straight steering linkage, regular hydraulic brakes and a mechanical throttle worked fine for most of my driving career. The numb steering, poor braking and erratic throttle response in many of the vehicles currently under recall, is not progress in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wonder why so many Toyota 2010 Camry owners would reveal their Vehicle Identification Number when they "post wild speculation and make unfounded allegations " on the internet against their own new Carmy knowing that bad mouthing their 2010 Camry with VIN disclosed would make it depreciate in resale value.

I have asked that very question several times and did not get a reasonable response. If you like the car and it is not giving you any problems why would you expose yourself to possible interrogation by the NHTSA for making false claims? If you discount the ones that have had accidents where they have a motive, you should get legitimate complaints. I believe there have been 1000s of cases of UA and only a couple 1000 got reported. Or they reported to their dealer and was arrogantly told there was nothing wrong.
  • Options
    >The most surprising thing about Congress is that some of them actually manage to find their way to work each day !!

I think we pay for cars and drivers for many of them to be transported to the capital buildings.

• Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    edited February 2010
    Oh my gosh, Gary, c'mon.

Technology must move forward.

I'd rather not go back to lapbelts, having no air bags, etc.

Anyone who regrets the advance of technology only need to go to a hospital and see how advanced medical technology is helping keep people alive who 30 years ago would be dead.

Can't stick our head in a hole and say, "stop making cars more advanced."

P.S. I know the good comeback is "look what all the ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY did for all the people dead from SUA !" Yes, but that was caused by human programming mistakes, not by failed technology.

Look how many lives have been saved by airbags and ABS - it's immeasurable.
  • Options
    Did I say anything about seatbelts or airbags?

We are talking about vehicle control being taken from the driver and given to a computer to decide, if you should go faster or slower. Whether you should get to use your brakes on that new Prius. Or steering your new Corolla.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    See the P.S. in post Number 5697.
  • Options
    OK, that explains it !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    That's the future of cars.

Mercedes and others have the "read end crash avoidance" feature and the autoparking features.

Get used to it. Mistakes might be made in the programming every now and again, but it will eventually get perfected like other technologies have.
  • Options
    I know this whole thing is a big mess but I keep remembering what happened to Audi back in 1980. Audi was eventually found to have been wrongfully accused of nearly all the unintended acceleration claims.

The Audi phenomena was a big, big, deal back then. Can you imagine how much worse it would have been for Audi if the internet had been around then? None of us know what the problem is here. I see no need to rush to judgment until we have more facts.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Mr. Toyoda.

that didn't take long.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    Do you think they will offer him the Lincoln Bedroom and breakfast with Barry?

I'll bet he wishes they would have given this job to someone that had worked their way up through the ranks. He could be jet setting and living the life of privilege, and not be humiliated by all these problems.
  • Options
    I don't think unintended acceleration is a problem endemic to the drive by wire system.

I have a 2007 Nissan Santra which is very reliable in speed contol even though it also uses DBW for throttle control.
  • Options
    I would suggest you go back 5 years on Edmond's posts if you think it just started.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Why include your car falsely on the NHTSA website? Well if your question is meant to imply that there could not be a reason, I would counter by saying there could be a variety of reasons, not the least of which would be inclusion in a potential class action for a juicy settlement.

Edmunds, when it did its analysis, found many complaints to be duplicated or flat out unbelievable, don't forget.

I don't say this to defend Toyota as I have certainly bought my last new Toyota (and not because of this, as we have already discussed), but because I would like to know what really is going on with these cars, and now with all this hysteria around it I'm sure we will never know.

Before the congressional hearings were announced I was hoping some engineering analyst would have that "ah-ha moment" and tell us what was wrong. With Congress involved, we will certainly get no resolution.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    >found many complaints to be duplicated or flat out unbelievable

Reading through posts for all kinds of cars on NHSTA site, some are poorly worded because of lack of articulate English on the part of the posters, but probably valid. Some are just Kooky and aren't really problems for the NHSTA site to handle. But reading ones about unintended acceleration will leave many that can't be tossed and have validity.

>engineering analyst...tell us what is wrong

I keep feeling they already know.

• Options
    I am with you. It may be defective parts that cause the problem such as the Throttle body controller in the verified case of WOT. Or who knows what else that could fail and cause UA? The cars now have sensors coming out the ying yang. What happens when they fail. Does it send a errant bit to an ECU that goes crazy? For those that love all the crazy DBW technology, they should just get a stinking hybrid that has it by the truckload. There are those of US that like to keep things simple. If it uses a bit more fuel so be it. I like to be in control of a vehicle. The new Vehicles and especially ToyLex you feel anything but in control. I can still drive a vehicle with no power steering or no power brakes just fine. Leave the power crap to the wimps.
  • Options
    More on the WOT caused by a defective throttle body controller. Seems they fail on a regular basis. Not always causing runaway acceleration. Just costing the customer a bundle of cash. Is this by design or just poor engineering?

I read all of the problems up until mid September and learned a great deal. There are other sites that are helpful too. I truly feel your frustration and I had to share our experience. My wifes 2005 Camry LE died and when she restarted it the engine RPM would go up and down between 2K and 3K and when she pressed on the gas it would either die or do nothing (we discovered later that the car has a limp-home-mode...and it does work well) at least it got her to the local auto parts place and they were nice enough to run a quick diagnostic and it came up with a P2112 and something else. Oh..the other thing it also did was when she pressed the gas pedal to the floor it did absolutely nothing except die or continue to idle low and high. Sorry....P2112 indicates the TAC (throttle actuator control) was not working and that it was in fact "stuck closed"...this is the brass butterfly inside the throttle body. There is another code that indicates it is "stuck open) either way its the same fix. Why Toyota must attach this plastic part (TAC) permanently to the throttle body is a puzzle to me, but thats another story. So I begin googling like a mad man and discovered that like many of you got the bad news. The part (throttle body with the TAC attached) was $917.00 and the labor was about $350.00. This is just not right on a car with only 57K miles...I later discovered on some site that 50K miles is the average mileage these things peter out.

From a competing forum. So why hasn't this issue been talked about on the media news? This is exactly the part that was replaced in the Camry that was brought into the dealer with WOT. I think it is more of the cover up by Toyota.
  • Options
    This is exactly the part that was replaced in the Camry that was brought into the dealer with WOT.

It was an Avalon, not a Camry.

Why was Mr. Garrity driving that same car with the ABC reporter with him? If he really experienced what he says, he's kinda stupid to still be driving that car.

Brings back memories of the exploding gas tanks in the Chevy trucks. CBS staged that one and ended up having to apologize to General Motors.
  • Options
    Nice try at deflecting Toyota's problems. I would guess he felt that the Toyota dealer had replaced the defective parts. He was also confident he could handle any anomaly that his Toyota might hand him. That is not always the case. Not all drivers are as capable as he obviously was. Also maybe he did not have another car to drive. You are trying to discredit the victims just as Toyota has done over the last 10 years. I find that despicable.

Unlike the CBS staged explosion on the Chevy PU, The Toyota dealer backed up the WOT story.
  • Options
    You are trying to discredit the victims just as Toyota has done over the last 10 years. I find that despicable.

Now, now. Let's not get personal.
  • Options
    >Why was Mr. Garrity driving that same car with the ABC reporter with him? If he really experienced what he says, he's kinda stupid to still be driving that car.

That's really insulting to blame the driver for dangerous safety problems a car exhibits.

>It was an Avalon, not a Camry.

The Avalon is based on the previous Camry's chassis and parts.
    Avalon, Camry, Camry ES350--all the same.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Now, now. Let's not get personal.

I agree, you did say the driver was stupid for driving a Toyota that displayed erratic behavior. Would you extend that to all Toyota drivers that have cars under the recall? Supposedly the Toyota dealer replaced the faulty parts. So I had to assume you do not believe that is enough to make the car safe to drive.

I have personally been the victim of Toyota dealer arrogance. When you have thousands of dollars tied up in Denso doo dads that do not work properly, it does not make one happy. And then to have some hack service manager say it all tests out fine, is rubbing salt into the wound. So I have more compassion for the customers than I do for Toyota. The only people I feel for are the workers in the Toyota factories that are impacted negatively by Toyota's lies and arrogance.

PS
    And the millions that have bought from Toyota only to find their cars could be unsafe.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    larsb, we don't have to "get used to it".
    We can vote with our wallets for the vehicles which are not designed to cede more and more driver control to electronics/software.
    for example: we can consider new vehicles only if they have manual transmissions.
  • Options
    My guess my comments a year ago are to the point now you can believe. I found the year off of this Forum has not changed the fact . Toyota drivers have a mind set, Toyota has in fact run GM off of the road ( as a matter of fact) . GM now wants the Tax brakes to locate in any state as Toyota received by Shelby. I love it, you can buy your jobs like any one else . The argument on Quality is not there, The fact it looks good in the driveway and you don't let the kids kill themselves in it,is good. Then it has a limp mode, when anything gets old , limp is not good