Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8

Comments

• Options
    tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    Here's what WKJeeps.com posted awhile back, with estimated picing:

Introductory Base MSRP including destination: ($41,045.00)

ENGINE BLOCK HEATER (NHK) ($40.00)

POWER SUNROOF (GWA) ($800.00)

NAVIGATION/REAR BACK-UP CAMERA GROUP (Requires Option Group 1) ($605.00)
    Includes:
    MyGIG™ Multimedia Infotainment with Navigation
    ParkSense™ Rear Park Assist System
    ParkView™ Rear Back-Up Camera
    Rear View Auto Dim Mirror with Microphone
    UConnect® Hands-Free Communication

SRT OPTION GROUP I (AY1) ($1995.00)
    Includes:
    115V Auxiliary Power Outlet
    Air Conditioning Automatic Temperature Control With Dual Zone Control
    Auto Dim Exterior Driver Mirror
    Auto Dim Exterior Passenger Mirror
    Deluxe Door Trim Panel
    Exterior Mirrors with Heating Element
    Exterior Mirrors with Memory
    Heated Front Seats
    Memory For Radio, Driver Seat, Mirrors
    Power 8-Way Driver Memory 4-Way Passenger Seats
    Power Adjustable Pedals with Memory
    Power Heated Memory Mirrors, Fold-Away
    Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers
    Rear View Auto Dim Mirror with Microphone
    Remote Start System
    Smartbeam™ Headlamps
    UConnect® Hands-Free Communication

SRT OPTION GROUP 2 (AY2) (requires Option Group 1) ($2895.00)
    Includes:
    AM/FM/CD/DVD/HDD MP3 Radio with 6.5" TouchScreen, USB Interface, Hard Drive with Music Management Database
    Automatic Headlamp Leveling System
    Heated Second Row Seats
    High Intensity Discharge Headlamps
    ParkView™ Rear Back-Up Camera
    Rear DVD Entertainment System Group
    Rear Overhead Console
    Rear Seat Video System
    Sirius® Satellite Streaming Video
  • Options
    tufgcsrt8tufgcsrt8 Member Posts: 16
    jeepster9
    Have you marketed the JGC SRT8 computer mods that improves the horsepower to 500? I'm sure the community is highly interested in these modifications. :)
  • Options
    06blksrt806blksrt8 Member Posts: 57
    This is based on the truck that my dealership has on order. 08 Silver
    Base - $40,525
    Roof - $ 800
    Option Group II - $2075
    Option Group I - $1995
    Nav/Camera - $1090
    Dest/Shipping $695
    _____________________Total $47,180
    Not a bad markup considering the new features that you're getting.
  • Options
    tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    WKJeeps.com updated their pages to list detailed pricing info on the 2008 SRT8 model. It's about time Jeep added the 11-speaker Kicker audio option, all of the other SRT8 models have had it since day 1. A lot of nice new features added to an already great vehicle!
  • Options
    mrsatellitemrsatellite Member Posts: 1
    Do you know what it takes to get the rear fog lights connected
    My dealer has no idea

About the your brakes
    Supposedly there is an upgrade to slotted rotors
    that helps break dust and the noise from the front rotors
  • Options
    guertinguertin Member Posts: 39
    Slotted rotors may help with reducing dust. But, the uneven wear (concentric groves in rotors) is likely caused by the pads. I believe that it is essential that all the lubricant (wax) be driven out of the pads prior to installing on the car! The alternative is to do it yourself on new pads, i.e., bed-in the brakes (multiple near stops from about 70 mi/h to get the pads hot). Be even there, the process is probably not 100% efficient. Best is to heat the new pads in a vacuum!

Does anyone know if Jeep is doing anything about this? Since my SRT8 is still under 12,000 miles, I can probably get the whole brake system replaced under the warranty. But, unless something is changed, the problem will return.

Jacques
  • Options
    Jeep STR8 2007 recommended is 33 psig. However, I think for better all around performance it should be higher. Since I think the front end is heavier than the rear, I put in 40 psig in front and 38 psig rear. These are with the tires cold, i.e., 35 F. I checked the standing "bulge" in each tire for comparison. Car seems to handle fine, albeit a little stiffer ride than that at 33 psig. Also, I get somewhat better gas mileage (average 13 mpg). Does anyone have a better suggestion?

By the way, the car's digital tire pressure readout is right on! A really useful feature, especially with runflats.

Jacques
  • Options
    Hey everyone. I thought the Jeep SRT8 had the best acceleration of any SUV. Now I read that the Porche Sportec Cayenne Turbo does better with 0 to 60 time of 4.2 s. Of course, it has a 600 HP, 600 Torque engine. And, it costs more, about $94k? Still, there goes the bragging rights! But, is this true? If so, will Jeep make a 2009 model with 650 HP and 650 Torque?

Jacques
  • Options
    Is there anyone out there? I posted 2 comments/questions last December but have not received any reply. To reiterate, one question was on tire pressure and the other was on a comparison with the Porche Sportec Cayenne Turbo on acceleration time.
    Jacques
  • Options
    jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    Well, I'm in the process of trying to purchase a used one, so don't have much info. I do know that the Hemi is getting a modest bump in ponies for next year, but not nearly enough to make it competitive, but we'll just have to see what it actually does for the vehicle.
  • Options
    aa00aa00 Member Posts: 30
    I'm also looking into a used one. Anyone know when the actual cherokee is due for a redesign? Guertin- What year are you looking for and what kind of prices have you seen?
  • Options
    Thinking about getting a used (2007) SRT8. I'm new to the jeep family as I have never owned one or for that matter a american car. Was wondering if most other buyers are previous jeep owners or not. I recently bought a X5 4.8is for my wife and really love that car. For some reason I'm just having a hard time with actually thinking of buying a chrysler product mainly because of things I have heard about cherokees in the past being unreliable? Still, I am really drawn to this truck and like everything about it. I will be coming out of a pickup and need this as my everyday car. I have 2 small kids and need to go into a suv of some kind. Any thoughts on this? thanks!!
  • Options
    I gotta warn you, if you are a family man and planning on getting this for an everyday vehicle, the SRT-8 is a little much for that. You're not talking a true suv. You're talking a vehicle that beats most cars (porches included) off the line and handles like a mother. Stoplights would probably be your biggest annoyances as you'll get everyone and their mother in anything that can be considered sporty pulling up next to you and revving their engines. Plus, as a family man and gas getting ever so closer to the $4/gallon mark, this thing gobbles the gas. You'll be lucky to get 15 HWY.

I just thought that I would give you the reality check before really looking into this particular trim of the Grand Cherokee.
  • Options
    htronhtron Member Posts: 74
    but this thing is FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Oh I know. I've driven a few of them. Nothing like it!
  • Options
    kodiaktenkodiakten Member Posts: 7
    I had a 1996, the a 1999 Jeep GC Limited 5.7's then a 2002 BMW 4.4i X5 with all the options then now the 2006 Jeep GCSRT8 which I now have 33,000 miles under my belt in. Nothing short of my 69 427 Camaro in 1969-72 comes close to the fun of driving the “beast”. The SRT8 has no resemblance what so ever to the GC’s of past. Quality, ergonomics and interior design are light years better. When Daimler-Benz redesigned it, not only did they put rack and pinion steering with the V8 (unusual for a V8 SUV) that gives it long term precision steering but they covered basically every other complaint I had with the X5 and didn't add other to replace them. My X5 had a poor throttle pedal design (slack at start and sticky feeling when pressed after 20k miles, dealer said that’s the way they are), mirrors weren't great, seats weren't as comfy, heater warm up time was great (as is the SRT8) and the steering was precise and tight throughout it’s miles just like the SRT8. Cornering was confident in the BMW but nothing like the SRT8! Great and solid brake feel in both. A lot like the Corvettes I’ve driven. Throttle response in the BMW was good, but again nothing like the SRT8! The X5 had a few annoying issues like the seat belts denting the door panel when they retracted but great seat heaters both bottom and back, just like the Jeep’s. The X5 steering wheel blocked the Speedo and Tach in the position I liked the seat/wheel in, Jeep now is much better there to. The rolling rear storage cover is better in the Jeep as is all the little storage pockets and areas (though I thought the glove box flashlight/charger receptacle in the BMW was cool). Reliability & problems have been much better than the BMW too. Guess I could go on, but the Jeep really has it going with the SRT8 and I can say that after 30k miles, which is pretty good.
  • Options
    You can relax regarding Jeep dependability. Until I bought a 2007 Jeep SRT8, I too had some concerns. But, according to Consumers Reports and other reviews, the Jeeps are much better built (perhaps the Mercedes influence). But, more importantly, this SUV is super fun to drive (power you won't believe) and safe too. And, for $45k, you can't beat it. And, the seats are quality as is the rest of the interior. The rear seating could have more room but for kids it is just fine. And, the front end could be 2 cm higher off the ground. And, I would like to get a little better than 13 mi/gal and even 600 HP!

There is a powerful Porche SUV that might have a little more acceleration. But, this sucker costs at least $95k! Nothing else comes close to the Jeep SRT8.

In summary, I love the car and would buy another instantly.
    Jacques
  • Options
    Hi aa00. Regarding design change for the Jeep SRT8 . . . I have heard rumors of more power in 2009 or 2010. But, I know little else. I know what I would like. 600 HP and 600 torque! And, 2 cm higher front end. And, rear fender lights that work. And, a little more room in the rear seating area. And, better visibility on the sides. Oh, and 20 mi/gal. But, not at the sacrifice of 0 to 60 mph in less than 5 s! In fact, I would like to see 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 s or less! This could be done (are you listening Daimler-Chrysler?) with use of graphite, titanium, magnesium, etc, to get the SUV at 4,000 lb but with no sacrifice of body strength. Cost is a likely problem. I would be willing to pay $10k more for all this.
    Jacques
  • Options
    I believe there was a Hennessey version of the SRT8 that pulled 600 ponies. It was sick. I forget which auto mag it was in, but I also think it added $25k+ to the price.

Here's the link to it SRT600 Jeep SRT8
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all the info, especially Kodiaten for breaking down the srt vs bmw. As great as the x5 is, I do have some of the same issues as you mentioned. I hate the lag at start. The jeep would be my everyday car, but only occasionaly with both kids in the car. Just need it have space if needed. The gas doesn't scare me that much as the x5 is only getting 18-20mpg. It is more important to enjoy your ride than to save a nickel. One last thing, was there much differance with the 2007-2008? There seems to be quite a few 07's out there for sale with under 10,000 miles on them, but wonder how hard they were driven. Not sure if I should spend another 8-10 grand for a 08? I think the interior in the 08 is upgraded? Thanks again guys!!
  • Options
    Honestly, I think with the 2008, you're only getting an option of HID headlights, hill descent/ascent control and the MyGig Entertainment system (which is quite nice).
  • Options
    After doing alot of research, I feel like I might go ahead and buy new. My msrp is 46,675 and right now, the best price I have is 43,305. Any thoughts on this or any leads you can provide on discounting dealers? I am in Florida. I will also have a trade...Thanks...
  • Options
    Hi jbjkbw.
    I would buy now. Two reasons. Firstly, your price of 43,305 is wonderful. (I could only get 1,000 off MSRP for my 2007 SRT8. And, that was after much fighting. Some dealers wanted $10k over MSRP!) I suspect that you are getting this price because of the current economy and perhaps the SRT8 is not quite as "hot". And, there is the matter of higher gas prices. The secondly, reason is that in a month or so, the 2008 may no longer be made. That would mean waiting until perhaps November for the 2009 with the possibility of a much greater price.
    Jacques
  • Options
    suomi8suomi8 Member Posts: 16
    So I was reading some past posts about the SRT-8 with regards to the tires and how they were 100% performance tires and pretty terrible in the snow. Well looking now on the SRT-8 website it looks like it comes with all season tires (http://drivesrt.com/en/jeep_grand_cherokee/handling/index.html). Can anyone with a 2008 SRT-8 confirm this and how it handles in inclement weather? Living in Illinois there is no way I could buy this vehicle if it still handles like garbage in the snow.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Suomi. My SRT8 is a 2007 and it does come with mud and snow (M&S) tires. The treads are not as aggressive as true snow tires but the all wheel drive should help greatly. I have not used the car in snow but I have used in to climb muddy hills with no problem. I think you will be OK with the tires that come with the car. The low front end may be more of a problem in deep snow than anything else.
    Jacques
  • Options
    htronhtron Member Posts: 74
    Just wanted to add, in response to something said in post 916 - even the porsche suv cannot out-accelerate us...didn't want that rumor floating around! :)
  • Options
    pauladpaulad Member Posts: 14
    i live in upstate NY--even though they are all season--they suck---I even called into the SRT8 and they told me no--they should be good --all season---well--again they suck---very good in rain and even on ice--but more than 2 inches of snow--they are horrible--no traction--

I have perfomance tires on my Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT--and that handles great in the snow---

thye do not make any other tires for this at this time--I asked
  • Options
    nemisusnemisus Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there is a roof rack available for the SRT8 or any way one can be fashioned to carry light loads?
  • Options
    nemisusnemisus Member Posts: 2
    Check TIRERACK.COM I heard they came out with snow tires that fit the SRT8 rims. I haven't had a cahnce to check myself but if they do have them, i'll be getting them for next snow season
  • Options
    Was thinking about adding this feature? Anybody have this and want to talk a little about it I would appreciate it? Think it was worth it? Cost yearly? Channels? I have 2 small kids that love the dvd player in our X5 and was toying with this and not just the rear seat dvd in the SRT I am about to order... Thanks...
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for everyone's answers. I really appreciate all the info. If anybody else has any experiences with the SRT in snow I would love to hear about it. It does concern me a great deal that anything more than 2 inches and the car doesnt have any traction at all since we got something like 55 inches of snow this year in the Chicagoland area!

Thanks again

Dave
  • Options
    kec8kec8 Member Posts: 141
    Suomi8,

I live in Michigan and have an '06 Grand Cherokee SRT8 which I got in early March of 2006. I have gone through two winters with it and although it's not great, it's not horrible either. As you well know, this has been an especially snowy winter here in the upper mid-west and I've driven the SRT8 every day with no problems. I also have an especially steep driveway and have never had a problem going up. My last two cars, M5 and XJR both with 4 aggressive snows had a major problem getting up my driveway in heavy snow.

Admittedly I was very disappointed in the fall of '06 when I tried to purchase snowtire/wheel combos from Tire Rack, Discount Tire and pretty much everyone else and found out that there was nothing available. Since I got through the first winter ('06-'07) okay I decided to not even bother looking for snows this year. As you know, last winter and this one were very different, but as I said even with the much heavier snow this year, I got through.

On a separate note, the Jeep dealer in Ann Arbor has the owner's black GC SRT8 sitting on the lot for sale in the $39k range. I don't know the mileage. Mine will be on their lot in around 14 months when my lease is up too. I love it and so far it has been bulletproof, but I'm ready to move back to a car. I do know that will miss the incredible acceleration....wet or dry.
  • Options
    I know that in '06 the standard Grand Cherokee roof rack was a fairly inexpensive option on the GC SRT8. I would be surprised if that has changed.
  • Options
    Hi kec8 -

Thanks a great deal for the info. It sounds like the car is certainly something that can work in the winter time but it would be foolish to get it and expect it to handle the slippery weather with no troubles at all. Maybe the next time it snows up here I will take one out for a test drive and see how it handles.

Thanks again to everyone for their info and help
  • Options
    My 2007 GC SRT8 has about 9k miles. It has been great. But, recently, at low speed, I gave it moderate gas and the car moved in jerks with little power. It did this for a short distance. I parked the car but kept the engine running. I put it in reverse. My NAV screen did not show a backup image! Clearly something was wrong. I shut off the engine. 30 minutes later, I started the car and all was well again.

I suspect (1) fuel pump, (2) transmission, (3) electronic control. Before I take it to a dealer, I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
    Jacques G.
  • Options
    I find if the car is cold--it does this--it takes a while for it to warm up--the dealer told me I did not have to warm up the car--and if I leaveit running in the driveway --it doesn;t help to warm it up--you just have to drive it,,,The dealer did a complete diagnostic on it and it was fine...Even if you just turn it off for 30 seconds and restart it-it willbe fine..I have 40K miles--it happens often--not all the time
  • Options
    Ha sanyone given any thought to whether these cars will be collectible cars down the line? I have an '06--had an order on it for 9 months before they started making them...It's great in good shape--but the gas is outrageous--in NY Premium now is 3.85 a gallon--I am torn between getting rid of it ---or just garaging it and use it on special occasions--I would like it to be a collector's item one day...Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Thanks for your suggestion, Paulad. I forgot to mention that when this happened, the engine had been at full temperature for at least 10 minutes. I think the focus has to be on electrical because of the loss of the backup camera image on the NAV screen! I am taking the car to dealer tomorrow and will report back.

So, Paulad, does that change your comment?

As for your idea of the car as a collectors item . . . I think it may have merit. Here's why: When I picked up my 2007 SRT8 (after 4.5 month wait), the dealer told me he could have sold the car for $5k more than I paid for it and within 1 month of having the car, I got an offer from a guy while I was getting gas for $4k over what I paid for it! You see, some folks don't want to wait 4 months for the car and they have money! Now, it will be important that the car performs as advertised (0 to 60 mph in about 4.8 s) and with no significant defects. One other item. If Jeep SRT8/SRT10 comes out with a 600 HP, 600 ft-lb torque engine in 2009 or 2010, then all bets are off.

I hope this helps and I look forward to a rapid reply to my problem before I take the car to the dealer.
    Jacques
  • Options
    no--your problem sounds just like mine---and I just pull over--and restart it-- it's fine...I did have the dealer check it out--they ran everything and couldn't find anything...I don't have much confidence in them though--my jeep had that problem with the brakes--it was in the dealership--5 times within the first three months that I had it--almost went into a tree...they told me I was nuts...A while later a recall for that same thing--hasn't happened since...so...I don't necessary believe what they tell me...
  • Options
    Paulad, here's an update. I was at the dealer today. Everything checked OK except one item: the shifter assembly. Of course, they did not have the part and it was ordered. They were confident that this would solve the backup camera problem but were not sure it would resolve the intermittent loss of power and jerky motion at low speed. We will know more when I have the shifter assembly installed. I will update you then.

NOTE: to the dealer's credit, they said it the shifter assembly did not solve the problems, they would place an electronic monitor/recorder on the car so that when the problem occurs, it would be recorded.
    Jacques
  • Options
    Paulad,

Will this car be a collectable? Probably. But you're talking 20-25 years down the before there is any appreciable increase in value. It's a limited edition car, but it won't be increasing in price for quite a while. Do you remember the people that bought Buick Grand Nationals with thoughts of them increasing in value. Right now the Grand Cherokee SRT 8's are probably dropping in value due to the gas prices.

Unless you are absolutely attached to the car love it and can't think of parting with it don't keep it as a collectible with the thought of making money on it. If you figure the cost of keeping it for 20 years (insurance; storage; maintenance), it doesn't make fiscal sense. You're better off selling the car now and then buying another one in 15 years when the value is probably at the bottom.

You can count the number of cars that can be purchased new and kept as a collectible on half of the fingers on one hand. Unless you purchased an Enzo or some other very limited model, even most Ferrari's or other exotic cars don't increase in value for many years.

A year or two ago I'd have suggested that you to put your money in the stock market or in a CD for 15 years and then go buy the car, but these days those aren't doing so well either. Maybe cars are the best investment after all....
  • Options
    An update . . . It has been a month since my dealer ordered the shift assembly for my Jeep SRT8. Why so long? The dealer tells me that it is because Jeep is likely trying to redesign the part so that it works. Apparently, at least 600 jeep SRT8s have reported a similar problem and these Jeeps need the revised part.

Meanwhile, there is some risk from loss of power at a bad time resulting in an accident. I sure hope that this issue is solved soon. Comments anyone?
  • Options
    Hi, cna you tellme what your original problem was? I had a loss of power issue...they said it was just a loss transmission wire--i no longer have the loss of pwer --but it still kind of jerks when I accelorate...can you tell me what you problem was and what did they tell you about the shift assembly?
  • Options
    Well Paulad, the dealer said that replacing the shift assembly should take care of the backup camera problem. But, they were not sure that it would solve the rare loss of power at low speed, including the jerky motion (again at low speed). The part is on back-order for 6 weeks! It seems that well over 100 Jeep SRT8s are needing this part. So, I suspect that it has a design flaw and that Jeep is trying to correct the flaw. (It would be useless to simply replace the part with a new one if the new one has the same flaw.)

Meanwhile, the problem has not recurred since the part was ordered. I will try to keep everyone informed. If you don't hear from me, it is because I have no new information. While waiting, I will continue to discuss the problem with Chrysler-Jeep.
    Jacques
  • Options
    jmaejmae Member Posts: 1
    This actually happend to me this morning, but I had some other things follow that. My MIL came on (engine looking symbol on your display panel), then my screen showed that I was apparently in P, R, N & D all at the same time. I would give it gas and it would go about 10mph and then jump up to about 30mph. It jerked etc. I had to stop 3 times on my way to work, never turned the vehicle off just put it in park. Every time I got back in to drive it, ti did it again. I parked it until lunch. At lunch it did not jerk, but my MIL was still on.
  • Options
    same thing--mine turned out to be just a loose transmission wire---works fine now,,,
  • Options
    Gosh Paulad, only a loose transmission wire? That's an easy fix (once you ID the problem). But, what about the flack that has caused Chrysler-Jeep to redesign the shift assembly? Maybe they are wrong and there is nothing wrong with it. Just a loose transmission wire! I will have to revisit my dealer with this new information.

Thanks much for the insight. I will let everyone know what happens.
    Jacques
  • Options
    yeah I thought mine was going to be something major--but they found it right away--I haven't had problems with my shifter
  • Options
    chewyp63chewyp63 Member Posts: 1
    tryed to start my jeep when i turn the key the lights come on but thats it its like its in gear not in park i changed out the key clynaderand electric ing. but still doing the same any ideas :mad:
  • Options
    ctgcsrt8ctgcsrt8 Member Posts: 13
    I have an '06 GC SRT8 and just love it!
    It has 35k miles and only problem I have had was to replace brake pads and rotors (didnt love that!) at 26k until the other day.
    When I started the engine, it seemed like the battery was low. Sure enough it tested weak, so I replaced it. No starting problems now.
    However, the driver window, which was down when the battery was changed will not stay up. It will go up, then come down half way. Only way to keep it closed is to hold the button for a few seconds after it goes up.
    Any suggestions on how to reset it ?

Oh, I also experienced that problem of the engine power dropping (dying ?) for a few seconds a few times. That was last year and it seems to have gone away by itself.

Anybody have any suggestions for the window beside call the dealer ?
This discussion has been closed.