Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8

Comments

• Options
    blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I can't remember the name of the seller, as I bought this kit for my '05 JGC last year when I purchased it. Before getting rid of it for my Commander, I took off the kit and then reinstalled it on the SRT. I purchased a kit for the Commander in October of '05, so it may be possible that they're not available at the current moment.

As for the intake/exhaust, my Jeep dealer and DC told me that an intake and exhaust upgrade from a reputable company shouldn't void a warranty. I've got Borla and K&N on my Commander and just recently installed the Borla's on my SRT. They do such good work with center-exit exhaust equipped cars(ie: Corvette, Lambo, Crossfire) that I decided that they were the people to get it done right. If you buy any other brand, make sure it says on the box that it is 50-state legal and WILL NOT VOID WARRANTY. This will be reassurance in the rare occassion that something goes wrong. But I do know K&N, Flowmaster, Hypertech, Borla, and Edelbrock are just a few of the great companies that accepts all manufacturers warranties, and vice-versa.
  • Options
    freakettefreakette Member Posts: 2
    anyone?
  • Options
    tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    As far as how many are going to be produced this year I would go with the estimate listed on WKJeeps.com, around 4,000-5,000. Their production and upcoming model information has been unbelievably accurate over the years.

The "1000-1500" estimates that some dealers are telling people is way too low (surprise!), over 900 have already been built and there is still 5 months left in the model year.
  • Options
    jeepster9jeepster9 Member Posts: 23
    Mopar Performance has a PCM Mod to up the HP to 550! Hennesy (sp) seems too high priced in my book. I'm going to drag race mine a lot so upgrades are on tap. Intake just needs a cold air kit, exhaust is a bottleneck, colder thermostat, Power Programmer top my list! Most upgrades are purely bolt-ons, this engine is built to take a lot of punishment in my book. Compared to the TB SS this is a much better buy, low production numbers, a Hemi Engine, better drive system, sportier looks all trump the higher price. My Opinion of course. My Black SRT-8 GC is supposed to arrive Feb. 14! Go Jeep! Gene :D
  • Options
    06blksrt806blksrt8 Member Posts: 57
    I still have yet to find anything by DC for the 550 hp upgrade. I checked MOPARs site. I'm thinking for a custom plate for the truck, anybody have any really good ideas. I can do 8 letters or numbers w/o spaces. Thanks very much!
  • Options
    I've got 1FASHEMI on my specialty plate. I thought it to be pretty cool.

The Mopar PCM and software upgrade haven't yet hit the market. Still waiting.

On another note, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S with 520-hp is still not as fast as the SRT. Weight still kills the Porsche.
  • Options
    subdensubden Member Posts: 40
    I would be real careful dealing with hennessey. They have a real clouded past..customer lawsuits, unfinished cars, etc.

Maybe they have improved, but buyer beware..
  • Options
    My black GC SRT8 came in today, got the 7/70 bumper to bumper extended warranty, (just for the SRT8) GAP Insurance and looking into having the 3M clear film installed on the front sections. Mine was the 8th production model built and possibly the 3rd to hit the Twin Cities. Not 900 could have been built yet, no way. My dealer said they ordered another red one and don't know when it will arrive. I got to look under the whole vehicle, exhaust is at least 3", huge rear pumpkin and bolt in axles retainers, rear drive shaft looks at least 4", transfer case and front drive shaft also looks real beefy. The line mechanic said the transmission is a German built one, true 5 speed and is bullet proof. Rear supports are huge and comes with a pan hard rod, the front sway bar is at least 1" in diameter, front brakes have cooling ducts. The Stage 2 PCM will be available soon and sold through the SRT parts network. The tech says any part sold through Mopar Performance Parts won't void the warranty. Picking it up tomorrow as it snowed here today, the exhaust sounds real nice but my wife want more noise. He He Gene
  • Options
    I picked up my Black GC SRT-8 yesterday, awesome next to my first Buick Grand National. This is one of the first ones in the Twin Cities and could be the first one sold here? Mid range power is just about super, auto stick works flawless, sound system sounds great. Already some tuning tricks are on tap, one will help the bottom end torque, some exhaust mods to boost power level. (SSSHH Don't tell my Wife! Vehicle is in her name!) I can't wait to do a full on power run and this one will be broke-in like my 02 Overland, full open after 500 miles, and it is real fast now and lays waste to 350" GM SUVs. It will be fully tested at the drag strip and road course after the Snow Season! Go "Jeep" my 4th and the best so far! Gene ;)
  • Options
    Well, according to my tracking sheets they are releasing a 2007 Grand Cherokee SRT 8. Not available to place an order of course, but shows up that they are releasing it as well as the Compass, the Patriot and the redesigned Wrangler. Just some info if anyone cares. Still haven't seen those HID lights or any more info on the 550 hp Mopar upgrade. Anyone have any more info?

Thanks
  • Options
    The lights are on e-Bay as I type this message. You're in luck as they're only 280 bucks right now, with FREE shipping. And if you can't find those, check out japanjdm.com or jdmjapan.com, one of the two(I may have them backward)
  • Options
    I checked on ebay and I remember you saying the company was KBB or something like that, the only one I could find was $199 B-I-N and seemed to be by a company called 3cnlight. Just wanted to see if those were the ones you were talking about. Thanks
  • Options
    Those aren't the same brand, but my neighbor(arch SRT rival) just installed the jdm's on his SRT, which he got from th e-bay seller aforementioned in post 120.

The are about the same intensity and brightness level as mine and the levelers are pretty easy to use, similar to my set-up. Check'em out.

P.S.- Did you check out the website I gave you? The main reason I pointed you towards this sight is that they have the guarantee not to burn out your factory wiring, a major problem with some aftermarket kits(older). And they said that they guarantee satisfaction or your money back, 100%.
  • Options
    I can't understand why to install these lights? My SRT-8 GC has the auto dimming feature and these probably remove this function. Some states outlaw the blue tint lights, PA and several others? Don't know which states for sure but the State Police will pull you over and give you a mechanical repair ticket to remove. My Opinion, Sorry. Gene :confuse:
  • Options
    The main reason to install the lights are to provide better illumination during night time operation.

The lights that I'm referring to are 100% street legal in all 50 states. As far as the "smart beam" feature on the JGC, this a frivilous option that won't be missed. It works as advertised, but it's nothing to get excited about.

The lighting in my '06 SRT-8 is 50% better than stock, without the foglights on. This safe addition to my SRT-8 was worth it.

P.S.- Most states outlaw the blue-tinted bulbs, not a true HID system. It would be impossible to ban a SRT-8 with the system as many cars nowadays have this system either standard or optional, Chrysler's own 300 SRT-8 to name one.
  • Options
    kec8kec8 Member Posts: 141
    Anyone know of any problems with SRT-8's that they would be holding up shipping? I have had one on order since Dec and it was shipped on Jan 30, but is being held in a "storage lot". My dealer is as frustrated as I am as they cannot get any info either. I tried "Customer Service" and gave them the VIN and Order # and they said it's "in transit". Since I'm less than 40 miles from where these are built, that's not accurate either. I'm wondering if there is a service issue and they are holding them up.
  • Options
    I actually put a deposit on two SRT-8 JGCs. The first one is still in Detroit with the same excuse of being in transit. I also tried to get an answer from customer service and got the same results? I believe the first generation might have a problem and therefore the delay? The one still stuck there was also ordered in Dec. of 05 and the one I received was ordered much later? Who knows for sure and Jeep will not admit anything! Good Luck. I love mine so far and it is really trick. I won't be changing the headlights but will work on a new design exhaust system, cold air intake system, and some of mine own HP & Torque inhancers. (To each-his-own.) I believe another 50 HP is there with just bolt ons. I bought the first one sold in the Twin Cities! Awsome Machine! Gene ;)
  • Options
    I believe the status is referred to as a "JS" hold. It gets shipped to a yard for quality service. Jeep was having some paint problems with some Black and Dk. Khaki cars. Mine was there for about a week. It might be that they are going over the vehicles a little bit better than the regular GC just because of the kind of vehicle it is. Or it might be because of the paint. I don't know what colors yours are, but mine is Black. It is expected to be here 2/28 but we're getting cars before the ETA set by Chrysler. Good Luck to everyone getting theirs, can't wait to get mine!!
  • Options
    You may have hit the nail on the head. The GC SRT-8 that I am waiting for is Black. The damn thing is that Daimler Chrysler won't tell me anything and my dealer doesn't seem to know anything either. I just wish to hell that DC would say what the problem is. To make thinks more "difficult", the Cadillac dealer just called to tell me that the black STS-V that I was interested in has come in and is available immediately. So now I have to decide if I take the STS-V or wait for the unknown SRT-8. Very different cars, but both very fast.
  • Options
    I work for a Jeep/Chrysler dealer, I don't think it should be to much longer of a wait, I ordered mine 12/5 and it should be here any day now. For a while DC was having problems with transport problems of its trucks, whether it was the trucking company or the railyard I don't know. I mean I'm in the Northeast, I don't know how things get shipped to the South or to the West. G'luck to you!

PS: Skip on the STS-V, not worth the $$$ in my opinion!
  • Options
    azsrtazsrt Member Posts: 21
    Our top 3 dealers in AZ who had the SRT-8 in transit all called me when they said the SRT-8 has hit land and should be here within the next day. Nearly 2 weeks for our dealers to get their shipments from only 30 minutes away. The dealers were even more angry then me. One dealer waited nearly 3 weeks to get their SRT-8 300C to their dealer and it arrived the day I was there to view the JGC SRT-8 that was suppose to arrive that day which would have been 2 days from the arrive time.. What is happening out of detroit, I don't know. What I do know is I ordered my JGC SRT-8 Jan. 29th and as of yesterday, they are still waiting for approval before they even start.. My dealer told me 8-10 weeks. My bet is longer.. :mad:
  • Options
    flstn96flstn96 Member Posts: 5
    I just got word that my Inferno Red SRT8 GC should be in town this Saturday and ready for pick up next week! The autobahns in Germany will never be the same! If I get the guts to take it over to the Nurenbergring - only 30 minutes from my house!! - I will let you guys know what its like. That track is a great place to watch rich guys crash their Porsche's on the weekends! Once the break-in period is done, it is going to be tough for me to commute at 130MPH everyday :(
    Stay tuned! I still have yet to find concise information about aftermarket goodies -- exhaust, intake, ECU tuning. I have checked Borla and K&N and both have nothing available. Any help out there? I went to jegs.com and the Hennesy site, but Hennessey is just a tad on the $$$$ side.
  • Options
    The first JGC ordered was a bright silver color, the one I received was black so that shoots the color theory down. No aftermarket parts are available yet so don't even bother trying to order any. I'll be working on designing my own. The stock air cleaner has an inlet that draws cold air from the grill area. The system that pleases me is one that draws air from near the front brake cooling duct, aluminum or ss pipe and the air source is away from the hot radiator and A/C condenser. Exhaust system is a dual system that feeds a dual inlet and dual outlet long muffler. I would like a complete dual system with two mufflers and dual tail pipes that exit like stock. All the performance enhancers that worked on my Buick can be applied to any DC Cars. I also can remove the Cat. Conv. as MN doesn't require smog inspections. (maybe) He He Gene ;)
  • Options
    Since I'm 40 miles outside of Detroit, "transport problems" aren't a reasonable excuse. My dealer is willing to go pick the damn car up, but apparently DC won't release it. That's what leads me to believe that there are problems. I'm going to go drive the STS-V again and make a decision. I can't wait forever for D-C to just to give me a simple answer as to when the car will be here. It's just plain silly and poor customer service.
  • Options
    Azsrt...I turned in my '00 M5 three months ago and have been "patiently" waiting for either the STS-V or the GC SRT8. The STS-V is about a month later than it was supposed to be, but at least I know where it is...and I just test drove it again a couple of hours ago. I decided to "Buy American" for the first time in 20 years and it's been damn frustrating. My last four cars have been M5, XJR, M5, Mercedes. All I ask is D-C to give me an answer as to why and WHEN on the SRT8 and they are just silent. My dealer is pissed too, because he knows that he's about to lose a sale to a good customer (I've gotten assorted minivans, Cherokees and Grand Cherokees from him for my wife and kids over the years). It's inexcuseable.

If anyone from D-C is monitoring this forum, (aside from the fact that you just reported a $3.3 Billion profit last year), what the hell is going on?
  • Options
    azsrtazsrt Member Posts: 21
    Kec8...So, did you buy the STS-V? It's a good looking car and they have given it great reviews.. I'm personally a big fan of Jeep, my first car was a 92 JC. Great car for a 16 yr. old. and had fun with both of my Ford Mustang Cobra's and such. My first Euro was the 330ci, loved it and then I wanted the speed, so I went for the M3, but as fun as it is, there's no room. Euro's make great cars and you would have to agree the service department at the BMW is par non. Plus, it's FREE. I almost bought a 2003 M5, but for the price and nearly 40K miles, I rather have the jeep, just as fast.. More people will respect the JGC SRT-8 then if I were to buy a new 2006 M5. There is just something about a 6.1 Hemi...
  • Options
    2002svtf1502002svtf150 Member Posts: 30
    The Jeep SRT-8 is absurdly quick & fast, no doubt, but not '06 M5 fast. And I seriously doubt it'll get more respect than the M5. Both are insanely fun and offer amazing appeal to "car guys or gals". I do completely agree with your last comment though, there is indeed something very special about the 6.1 Hemi.
    PS: On the other hand, my GC SRT-8 is as fast as my E46 M3 & that's a little freaky, LOL. :)
  • Options
    The SRT-8 is only 0.4 seconds to 60 slower than an M5, mainly because of gearing, center of gravity, and weight. It may seem huge in the performance arena, but let's look at it this way:

Both the M5 and JGC SRT-8 will enjoy huge bragging rights and major exclusivity(maybe more for the M5), but 40k vs. 90k. It's a total no-brainer. The SRT-8 is clearly the more logical choice.

As to the STS-v, I'd would buy it in a heartbeat, if not for the recent purchase of my Charger SRT-8 and JGC SRT-8. It's not your typical AMG or M car, and it's such a sleeper which adds more to it's uniqueness. I had the pleasure of sampling one, and it was a blast to drive. I'd be hard pressed to take one over a 300 SRT-8 tho. A bigger car with the 6.1L, it doesn't get any better than this, right? It does. The price of admission the SRT has over the v, or AMG or M for that matter.
  • Options
    I've never seen a M5 run yet but would put my JGC SRT-8 against it any day. Some of those times just don't work out to be believable. Price is the big selling factor, cost of maintaining, all the great features of the SRT-8, sold me on buying it. All those factory tuned, professional drivers makes these vehicles run much faster than a production model. I've seen the C6 Vettes run and no way a TB SS can run as fast or faster. (huge weight difference) I'll have my Jeep SRT-8 at the track in April and will report just how it ran, before my mods are completed. Several aftermarket companies are going to make speed enhancers to push the envelope on all the SRT-8. Gene
  • Options
    m3powerm3power Member Posts: 13
    YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME IF YOU THINK A JEEP SRT8 WILL KEEP UP WITH AN M5 - DEPENDING ON WHICH MAG YOU READ AND DEPENDING ON THE CONDITIONS ON THE DAY A 2006 M5 WILL RUN ANYWHERE FROM A 4.1 TO A 4.5 0 -60. IF YOU ARE AT A STOP LIGHT YOU MIGHT BEAT AN M5 OFF THE LINE SINCE YOU HAVE AWD AND THE M5 DRIVER IS NOT SKILLED. IF YOU TRY TO RACE AN M5 FROM A ROLL SAY 30,40,50 YOU WILL BE SALUTERED AN M5'S ACCELERATION FROM A ROLL IS PRETTY SIMILAR TO A LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO AND A FERRARI F430. FROM A DIG ITS A HOOK UP RACE FROM A ROLL WE ARE ALL TOAST. THE M5 CONSTANTLY TRAPS IN THE QUARTER MILE 116-118 AND GETS SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER FROM THERE.

I HAVE AN SRT8 ON ORDER AND LOVE THE JEEP FOR WHAT IT CAN DO BASED ON ITS ENGINEERING SHORTFALLS (I.E. HIGH CENTER OF GRAVITY) AND HAVE AN M3 WILL PROBABLY BUY AN M5 WITHIN THREE YEARS BUT PLEASE PEOPLE WILL LAUGH AT YOU IF YOU COMPARE THE SRT8 WITH AN M5.
  • Options
    YOU CAN'T COMPARE AN M5 TO AN SRT8. I WOULD COMPARE AN SRT8 TO A BMW 4.8 AND THE CAYNENE TURBO. AND LETS TRY TO KEEP IT AT THAT

BASED ON WHAT THE M5 DELIVERS IN PERFORMANCE THE PRICE DIFFERENCE YOU QUOTED IS A BARGIN WHEN YOU COMPARE WHAT THE M5 CAN DO AGAINST $150-$200k CARS.

BY ALL MEANS THE SRT8 IS AN UNBELIEVABLE VALUE ON PERFORMANCE AND NOT ONLY STRAIGHT LINE BUT ON THE TRACK. BUT LETS KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS AN SUV AND YOU CAN'T REALLY COMPARE THE TWO.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    People tend to ignore posts in ALL CAPS since they are so hard to read. Keyboard busted?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    The SRT v. M was not a comparison, just a simple look at what a SRT-8 can do to a vehicle that's 50k more expensive. I find it interesting that you say that the M5 will do 0-60 in 4.1-4.5secs. The SRT-8 in this past issue of C&D did it in 4.5, mine posted a 4.2 sec 0-60 last week. So yes, the SRT can hang with the M5 in a straight line, but the M5's lower body mass and center of gravity will undoubtly carve corners better than the Jeep. BUT NOT BY MUCH.

As to the rolling starts and 30,50,70 comparo, the Jeep has something that will knock the M5 off it's high horse: TORQUE!! 425lb-ft of it vs. 384 for the Bimmer. The higher torque number helps with rotational mass, which moves the vehicle throughout the speed range, not just off the line.

As to the other performance SUV's, not even Porsche's newly released 520-hp Cayenne Turbo S can beat the Jeep, let alone the other "performance" SUV's.
  • Options
    when your from a roll torque is not as big of an issue from a dig. where its vice versa from a roll. from a roll horsepower, power to weight ration and cd plays a bigger roll where the srt8 is significantly over matched compared to the m5. thats why when you look at F1 cars they have high horsepower with very little torque.

take a look at the amg cars those things have alot of torque but half the times you will have trouble just hooking up because of the torque. the srt8 is able to utilize all the torques because its awd and had beefy tires.

the E55 amg, if hooked up from a dig, will be neck to neck up to 100 with the US m5 version with crippled launch control but after say to 150 the m5 will be at least 15-20 car lengths ahead.

the srt8 possibly hang in with the m5 going to 60. the srt8 will be a great stop light to stop light racer but for a long straight away, twisties and from a roll the m5 will, as I said in my previous post will slaughter the srt8.

listen, i have an srt8 on order and test driven this beast I have total respect for the srt team that built this unbelievable suv but to compare the srt8 with the m5 is laughable.
  • Options
    to add to my previous post

torque vs horsepower is beaten to death in all sorts of forums especially in the m5 and amg forums. I'm not a physics expert but I would rather have a high horsepower car with a great power to weight ratio and o.k. torque than compared to a torque monster.

yes and you are right you need torque to move mass but when the M5 has 385 compared to the srt8 that has 425 which weights about 850 pounds more. so in a torque to weight ratio the m5 and srt8 are pretty even slight edge to the M5.

torque is good when your racing from a dig or you miss shifted. however a high horsepower vehicle in the right power band will always beat a higher torque vehicle if everything is similar from a roll.

different people have different opinions I love my M3 and I'm really excited about the srt8 and looking forward to my M5 in three years.
  • Options
    Good analysis, but to reduce it to lay terms, see the Jan. 2006 edition of Car and Driver which tested the new (V-10) M-5 against the STS-V and CLS55AMG. No contest..the M-5 does a 12.5 quarter mile at 118. The Jeep is wickedly quick for a SUV, but that is what it is..
  • Options
    If you know someone looking, you might direct them to Pollard Friendly Motors in Boulder, CO. They have a red one in stock and I just cancelled my hold on a silver (totally loaded) one that is due in about 45 days.

They took my order at 1000 under MSRP and suspect they'll deal on the red one too.
  • Options
    All those magazine test vehicles are a sham in my book. Bring any vehicle to the drag strip and lets see what it runs. (show room stock) The C6 Vette auto runs a 14.20ET here bone stock and 13.80 with a lot of mods and would roast any Bimmer any day! Advertised HP means nothing in my book but what it runs at the track. An AMG would be a good comparison to run against an SRT-8 GC not an M5. I don't own a M5 and wouldn't ever buy one because of the cost and parts cost to repair. (my friend ran an updated chip in his Audi S4 and burned up the twin turbos, $5K to repair) DC has given Chrysler the edge and my "Getrag Built 5 spd auto" is a bullet proof trans, the 300C and soon to be released "Imperial" all run German Built Platforms, excellent products and the 6.1 Hemi is the crowning jewel! PS. I'll be attending the free driving school training to learn how to drive my SRT-8. (Heel and Toe) Hemi's rule the roost! Gene ;)
  • Options
    First off, I didn't know that I was going to open up such a can of worms by mentioning my M5. Whew. To answer some of the posts here, the M5 and JC SRT8 are two very different vehicles. I've owned two M5's and my last one was the finest vehicle that I have ever owned. I drove it year-round for 4 years in Michigan (4 snows in the winter) and nothing drove like it in an overall package. Truthfully the dealer here has gone downhill, as they are now owned by a national company that overcharges for parts (MSRP X 150-200%). Also, as I said in an earlier post, I made a decision to drive an American car for the first time in 25 years or so.

However comparing magazine specs or one blast on the highway or dragstrip tells you very little about a car. If you haven't driven one on a daily basis, you do not know a vehicle. Saying that does not diminish the GC SRT8, but I am concerned about a number of things, not the least of which is how it will hold up after 750k miles. My M5 was as solid when I turned it in 3 months ago after almost 4 years and 75k miles as it was when I got it. I do have considerable experience with D-C products having owned 2 Cherokees, 2 Grand Cherokees and 3 Chrysler minivans in the past 8 years, (not to mention a Commanche and a 48 Jeepster). An M5 is truly a world-class supercar and the JC SRT-8 is much like a '60's muscle car...powerful V8, fast, & cheap (relatively).

As for the STS-V, I did not make a decision yet and will hopefully find out today where the SRT8 is. The Caddy dealer is being patient (as I was in waiting 3 months for the car), but they're not going to wait forever. Truthfully the STS-V's are not flying off of the showroom floor like GM would have hoped. I do have some of the same quality concerns about the STS-V as I do with the SRT8. Overall, it approaches the same price as the M5, so that enters into the debate too. I should have one or the other by the end of the week. I'll let you know.
  • Options
    Gene, I agree that running a performance car at a track tells you a lot, but unless I am buying a car that I am going to just be running on the track, my main concern is how they are to live with on a daily basis.

I'm willing to make a lot of sacrifices for a performance car, but if you are going to compare one to another there is more to it than just 0-60. That's where the $40k difference comes in. My M5's were the most all around satisfying cars that I have ever owned in terms of acceleration, handling, braking, comfort, quality, style...name any catagory. As you state, German built platforms are excellent products. My other concern is how the GC will hold up after a few years of ownership. Again the M5 excells there. Since I made the decision to "buy American" this time, that's why the STS-V is on the list. That is the closest American car to the M5...although I have driven it a couple of times and it is NOT an M5.

I agree with you that M5's are expensive to repair...no M5's are VERY expensive to repair. That's why if you are going to put a lot of miles on them you lease them and turn them in when the warranty expires.

One question: You mention that you will be attending driving school. How (or why) would you "Heel and Toe" an automatic?
  • Options
    this will be my final post on this subject.

yes you can't compare mad results to different cars because it all depends on the conditions of the test and they were not tested all on the same day. that said, you will be pretty close to what the mags say anyway I believe. the mags have gotten better in publishing accurate results.

for an example, the C6 Z06 can go 0-60 in under 4 sec if you power shift (not using the clutch) I believe c&d or R&T did a test result and got 4.1 to 60 they said we do our test how you would drive. power shifting all the time will wear your cluth and drivetrain pretty fast and you don't power shift all the time

Regarding the maintenace cost of a bimmer, any bimmer including an m5 comes with a 4yr 50K mile maintenance free package. that said you do not pay anything for up to 50K except for tires. In addition you can extend this great package for about $1,500 for an additional 2ys and 50K mile for a total of 100K and extend the warranty for the same period for about an additional $2K for a total price of $3,500.
  • Options
    ne1ne1 Member Posts: 5
    kec8--Actually, I appreciate the can of worms you opened. The magazines probably won't compare it to anything but other performance SUVs, but I'm not a single-segment shopper. I look forward to hearing your opinion on how it stacks up to performance sedans you've owned.
  • Options
    davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Why don't we compare the Cayenne Turbo S to M5? They are in the similar price range right? Also, can M5 out run a 911 Turbo? I doubt it. SRT8 is not even in the same zip code in terms of price. Cross-segment shopping is fine but you have to take the price into consideration. Relatively speaking, I think the SRT8 is a screaming bargain. The fact that M5 (or C6, Diablo, 911, etc. etc.) can carve out a corner at say 100mph instead of SRT's 90mph or so doesn't interest me much. For 99% of driving we do in the states, I'd pick the SRT8. And remember, SRT can do what it does in rain or on dry pavement. If you can have only one car at certain price point, what would you get? For me, I am not willing to pay 100k for an SUV. Cay Turbo performance for half the price seems too good.
  • Options
    I didn't say a 06 ZO6 Vette, a 400hp C6 that runs here has turned these times.(Actually the 06 ZO6 dynos at 530hp not 505) It also made 600HP with just a cam change. I don't know much about a M5 or what it runs in the 1/4 mile. (not the average drag raced vehicle in my book) The 6.1 might surprise you on the HP too! Time will tell as "Superchips" and other after market companies are now designing power enhancements. The 6.1 Hemi is now or will soon be a crate motor sold through Mopar Performance. Like "blkhemi" said; a well built engine with a lots of trick internal mods and should be a strong built engine. Heel & Toe can also be run with an Auto. (braking coming into the corner and accelerating in the apex & coming out) All SRT-8 owners can get a free 1 day driving course with a professional driving school. As far as I'm concerned, all the the above vehicles are great vehicles but in their own unique class. I love my Blk SRT-8 GC, doors close tight, fit and finish is great, the brakes are awesome, love the auto shift tranny, the power is smooth, smooth idle, steering is very very quick, a lot better than any Jeep before. (my first was a 1975 Cherokee) More later when the Ice Cube Thaws and the drag strips open. Good Motoring to All. Gene
  • Options
    After having raced for 10 years in SCCA, IMSA and the Skip Barber programs and having taken a number of their driving schools, the only reason that I know that you want to heel and toe, is to match revs while braking and downshifting. Admittedly I've never raced an automatic trans car, but I would think that if you are not in full hard braking (possibly trail braking) braking with your left foot rather than heel and toe would be the best compromise in track driving.

By the way, I guarantee you will have a blast at the Skip Barber School, as they are a good bunch of people and the instructors are great. The free school is a great selling point for the SRT8's. There are a lot of great tracks, but I recommend taking it at Road America if that is an option for you. A one day school is fun, but I would highly suggest seeing if you can pay the extra and extend it into a two or three day school. You will be hungry for more and that will really make it worth your while.

Sorry to have gotten "off track."
  • Options
    we are not talking about price range we are talking about performance. a jeep srt8 will hang with a cayenne turbo I'm not arguing that what I'm arguing is that you think an SRT8 will hang with an M5 and yes from a roll the M5 can out accelerate a 996 turbo this has been documented even on the porsche forums. Also I would like to point out that it even can hang with a lambo gall from a roll.

if price was not an issue I would definatley get an M5 right now it only cost $40K more but I will wait for a couple of years because I'm having fun with my M3 and my wife and I will have fun with SRT8. I just can't justify the purchase of the M5 right now but will soon :).
  • Options
    where talking about stock vs stock. if mods were an issue a civi moded can beat anything on the road. your talking about apples and oranges here.

yes from a cost perspective it will be definatley cheaper to mod an srt8 compared to an m5 but where not talking about moding were talking about performance. the M5 is rated a 500hp but people have been getting about 525 -535. and from a roll the M5 can probably keep up with the C6 z06 don't know for sure it would be close, can you say that about the srt8?

with an M5 purchase you also get a day at the track with a class room session in SC where you can drive M3, M5 & M6.

the srt8 is a great bargin for an SUV performance vechicle that's it.
  • Options
    The M5 is a spectacular CAR, not SUV. So it seems shaky to compare the M5 to a JGC SRT-8. Altho the two are scarily close in acceleration.

It seems more deemable to compare it with the other overprice/overweight Euro machines, the X5 4.8is and the Cayenne Turbo(S). Even these SUV's seem bleak in comparison to the SRT. And these SUV's have some techno-wizardry that the SRT does not. Yes, the SRT will shred the tires of some M and AMG cars, but those are not it's intended targets.

There are only but a handful of cars let alone SUV's that can do what the SRT does. The only multi-purpose vehicle that'll flat out outrun it is the $85k E55 AMG Wagon, which gets to 60 in 4.2 seconds, and the 1/4-mile in the high 12's. But here again, the scant advantage of hp the AMG has over it is certainly not worth the extra $45k, not even for a Merc.
  • Options
    Exactly, but it was Gene who made the direct comparison between the SRT-8 and the M5 and then went on to make the rather incredulous statements that "all" car magazine tests are shams and that a Corvette that runs 13.8 in the quarter will smoke "any" BMW. There is no way that a stock SRT-8 is going to run in the 12's in the quarter and the new M5 clearly will.

Yes, let's compare the SRT-8 to other "performance" SUV's rather than making unsupportable claims regarding its supposedly superior performance advantage over high-performance, arguably "super" cars such as thye new M5.
  • Options
    1finejeep1finejeep Member Posts: 29
    Y'all are like a bunch of cry babies. If D-C put the SRT8 GC out quicker with less QC inspection and there was a problem you would be on here talking about the p.o.s. they sold you. Instead they are doing a good QC job and now y'all are crying that they are taking to long. Make up your mind, do you want a good and fast car that will last, or a fast car that is only good for a few years?

I ordered mine Nov. 14, 2005 and picked it Feb. 12,2006. I love the Jeep and other than the blinker not working right for lane changes I think it is well worth the wait.

One last thing..... if you don't want to wait I will sell mine. It has about 185 miles with every option but rear DVD system because NO kids will be riding with me, and it is the Inferno Red. I love the Jeep but I also like my salesman and he will get me a new if I ask him to. 8-)
This discussion has been closed.