Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Well Honda tends to be very secretive of new models. The car is already in production. Release date is Sept. 12th. Embargo date is August 21st.
  • Options
    fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Right after i posted, i found these new shots of the coupe.

2008 Accord Coupe
  • Options
    stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493

2008 Accord Coupe

For some reason the site isn't showing any pics at all. Maybe they were pulled. Any chance of putting a link up so we can see the new Coupe?
    Thanks
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The photos are there. I don't know what's wrong with your computer.

Anyway, everything you need to know will be available in 10 days. Tons of official high-quality pics, specs and reviews will be available August 21.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I really like the coupe, I'll take mine in black or red, with tinted windows. Sedan, well its okay, but still a honda. Well see won't we..
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    For me, I'll take a sedan in Mystic Green,(I think HondaPreview posted a list of color options for both the sedan and coupe) but I'll wait until the '08 clearance to try and pick one up :)
  • Options
    The photos are there. I don't know what's wrong with your computer.
    Anyway, everything you need to know will be available in 10 days. Tons of official high-quality pics, specs and reviews will be available August 21.

The problem was with the website, probably too many people accessing the site. I tried an hour later and it was no problem at all. I think the pics first posted of the Coupe looked better than these due to the angle the first pics were taken at. That said it's a great looking car! :D
    My big disappointment is that I will probably need a sedan and I really want a V6 with a manual. I will not buy any car with an automatic in it.
    Damn shame they won't make the sedan with the V6 for 2008. My wife wants 4 doors on a large car since we will have a small sporty-ish car for her to drive.
    My only hope is the diesel gets released early, like January. :)
    Thanks for posting the link, Great Pics!
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    My big disappointment is that I will probably need a sedan and I really want a V6 with a manual. I will not buy any car with an automatic in it.

Awww shucks. I will not buy a car with a manual in it. No problem for me. Hahahaha :D
  • Options
    Awww shucks. I will not buy a car with a manual in it. No problem for me. Hahahaha

Let's just hope you never have unintended acceleration in any car you own. I had numerous eye witnesses and That was the last automatic I have ever owned. I have no choice when it comes to rentals but. For me I will never own an automatic. If someone gave me a new automatic I'd sell or swap it for a manual poste haste.
    Most cars today are automatics and I think it's unfortunate that many people do not learn to drive but rather just steer their cars, while doing other things like gabbing on the cell phone or putting on makeup or playing with the stereo.
    The day will come where you will get into your model year 2030 Honda Accord, give the Nav system a verbal address and the car will drive you there! It will probably park itself as well. :(
    That really is the future of the automobile. :sick: No driver input except to change CD's or tell it where to go.
  • Options
    mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Driving in stop and go traffic for 2 - 3 hours per work day will "cure" you of wanting a MT. Glad you have opprotunity to enjoy shifting. :shades:

I just stopped by the local Honda dealership and they gave me some pressure: "We never get Accord VPs in (one was on the showroom floor). Those 3 Civics (on the lot) will be gone by this afternoon. Some dealerships are selling Civics for $2k over MSRP." :lemon:

I'm too old to play games and would buy a lackluster Corolla from my nice local dealership before putting up with that crap. What a turn off! :sick:
  • Options
    fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    At this stage, only an idiot will pay $2K over invoice for a MSRP..........
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    stevecebu,

You wrote "Let's just hope you never have unintended acceleration in any car you own. I had numerous eye witnesses and That was the last automatic I have ever owned."

It has been well documented by police reports that the vast majority of "unintended acceleration" incidents are due to either driver error or something like a bunched-up floormat interfering with the accelerator pedal.

You also wrote "I think it's unfortunate that many people do not learn to drive but rather just steer their cars, while doing other things like gabbing on the cell phone or putting on makeup or playing with the stereo."

It is also unfortunate that many stick shift drivers are also guilty of doing the same stupid things.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Most cars today are automatics and I think it's unfortunate that many people do not learn to drive but rather just steer their cars,

Unfortunately I do drive, AND SHIFT, a manual 5 days a week for work. On the weekends I get to just drive, without the extra hassle of shifting via hand and foot. Totally unnecessary, IMO. You were probably one of the last people who warmed up to the idea of power windows. :confuse: Why crank when you don't have to? and why shift when you don't have to?
  • Options
    Driving in stop and go traffic for 2 - 3 hours per work day will "cure" you of wanting a MT. Glad you have opportunity to enjoy shifting.

Hahahahah! I live in the Philippines right now, you want to see traffic come here and visit me. I'll show you stop and go traffic which is the stuff nightmares are made of. :P
    Oh and I drive a manual Toyota Hi-Lux diesel crew cab truck in that traffic. Believe me the roads here are awful and when it rains it floods. Bumper to Bumper for most of the day until night and we don't have any traffic lights and no traffic police since they were all fired by the mayor for being too corrupt.
    So yes, I'd still prefer a Manual and even in Manila I'll take a manual over a slushbox anyday. :shades:

I just stopped by the local Honda dealership and they gave me some pressure: "We never get Accord VPs in (one was on the showroom floor). Those 3 Civics (on the lot) will be gone by this afternoon. Some dealerships are selling Civics for $2k over MSRP."

Yeah I hate it when they try high pressure sales. I usually will go to another dealer. Honda dealers are plentiful in the area I live in the US when I am there.
    I won't play games with them. I just won't buy the car from them if they pull stunts on me and many of them try.
    I think the sedan is a better bet for me especially in a diesel which is what I really want. But I want to see the official stuff from Honda. Then I will want a test drive and make a decision. No deals for a while on 2008 models. :sick:
  • Options
    Unfortunately I do drive, AND SHIFT, a manual 5 days a week for work. On the weekends I get to just drive, without the extra hassle of shifting via hand and foot. Totally unnecessary, IMO. You were probably one of the last people who warmed up to the idea of power windows. Why crank when you don't have to? and why shift when you don't have to?

I learned to drive on a 1965 Dodge pickup truck that I bought for $500 it had a 3 spd on the column and was a PITA to shift. I had a 5 minute explanation on how to drive a manual. Since then I've owned a lot of cars and trucks and no way do I mind power windows and door locks but I like to shift for myself. Although it was a real pain to do when I had a broken foot :sick:
    Best bet is to drive a stickshift and be in control of your car, at least for me. :)
  • Options
    It has been well documented by police reports that the vast majority of "unintended acceleration" incidents are due to either driver error or something like a bunched-up floormat interfering with the accelerator pedal.

Well it happened to me in an old model Police Interceptor and while I've had this argument before with enough people and don't want to have it again. I was there, you weren't! I nearly died and the guy who hit me nearly died as well. No investigation because the police moved the car before the investigation. many witnesses heard the cars engine running full blast and I was pumping the brakes to no avail. No floormats in the car and I know how to drive and had many years of experience. This went from almost stopped foot solid on the brake to wide open throttle at a very dangerous intersection.
    No car company will ever admit this and it seems you believe them. If it ever happens to you like so many others then you will know what it's like to have people who have no clue, spout car company propaganda to you.
    That's all I have to say about this since closed minds usually don't open.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I am on injured reserve! Prefer manuals but tendonitis in my right elbow caused me to opt for the auto last time. Each person should drive what he/she drives most competently. That's just safer for every one.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Most cars today are automatics and I think it's unfortunate that many people do not learn to drive but rather just steer their cars, while doing other things like gabbing on the cell phone or putting on makeup or playing with the stereo.

Being a first hand witness on many occasions, you can't tell me that drivers with stick shift don't engage in those activities.

That said, if MT cars were selling like hotcakes, Honda would sell more of them. But they don't. And those that do, tend to prefer sportiness over everything else. In Honda's world, coupes tend to represent that. So, Accord V6 will have MT but very likely in coupes only to start with. Sedan may eventually get it, to satisfy a fraction of that niche.

And even with MT, a shift is towards automated-manual/ semi-automatics. You would get only two pedals in return and in all likelihood, the shifting will happen at the steering wheel as opposed to away from it.

Thats the reality. For those who wouldn't drive one without 6MT, well, Honda Civic Si sedan doesn't get AT option anyway. Its all manual. And if I drove in crowded streets, the last thing in my mind would be to consider a V6. Honda's I-4 perform really well, and more so with MT.
  • Options
    That said, if MT cars were selling like hotcakes, Honda would sell more of them. But they don't. And those that do, tend to prefer sportiness over everything else. In Honda's world, coupes tend to represent that. So, Accord V6 will have MT but very likely in coupes only to start with. Sedan may eventually get it, to satisfy a fraction of that niche.

Yes, manual transmissions are dying breed when it comes to most cars and even sports cars nowadays have manuals or floppy paddle shifter type autos.
    Honda will probably sell a ton more autos than manuals because the majority do want an automatic.

Oh as far as manual drivers having poor driving habits. Yes some do but you also have to work harder to drive the car so you do see it less than in automatics.

Thats the reality. For those who wouldn't drive one without 6MT, well, Honda Civic Si sedan doesn't get AT option anyway. Its all manual. And if I drove in crowded streets, the last thing in my mind would be to consider a V6. Honda's I-4 perform really well, and more so with MT.

Yep that is the reality but for me I won't have as much traffic to contend with there as opposed to here except when I need to go into Boston. Ugh! :sick:
    The Civic Si is not really comparable to an Accord, it's a smaller car and maybe it will seat 5 adults but I wouldn't want to be one of the ones in the back. :P
    2007 had a manual sedan with a V6 and they sold quite a few of them but probably only a small percentage compared to automatics. I'd rather have a 4 cyl diesel than the V6 but I think the v6 will do better with a load on the highway than the 4 cyl. Of course if rumors of a 200HP 4 cyl are true then that would be different.
    Coupes are more sporty but less useable for rear seat entry and the Accord is a big car even in coupe form.
    Ah well we'll see when they get to the showrooms. :)
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I like everything about it but like the sedan whats up with the back end again? The 08 Accord Sedan suffers from a horrible back end design as does the Coupe and the 03-05 Accord Sedan had a terrible back end too to it too. What is with Honda designing awkward back ends on the 03 Accord Sedan and 08 Accord Coupe sedan and coupe as well? I think the last decent Accord stylewise was the 98 Accord with the 96-97 being the best looking Accord ever. Can't Honda style an Accord with a good looking back end to it?
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Yes, manual transmissions are dying breed when it comes to most cars and even sports cars nowadays have manuals or floppy paddle shifter type autos.
    Honda will probably sell a ton more autos than manuals because the majority do want an automatic.

Didn't the moderator recently create an Accord Manual vs. Automatic group?

If so, why are there still a constant barrage of Manual vs. Automatic posts in this group?
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    you really think that the ex will get a hp bump over the lx and lesser trims grad?

i know its just speculation, but if this was the case, it would suprise me.

It was more than speculation. Here's the inside info from post 1546:

BluFZ1 was pretty close on HP for the v6. 273 HP to be exact . 180 hp for the LX and LX-P. 200 for the EX i4 sedan. Also the 200 hp i4 maybe the only i4 in the coupe. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Driving in stop and go traffic for 2 - 3 hours per work day will "cure" you of wanting a MT. Glad you have opprotunity to enjoy shifting.

If, where you live you have to deal with 2-3 per day sitting in traffic, then the population density is most likely high enough that there is alternative PUBLIC Transportation.

I would shoot my self in the head if I had to waste 3 hours everyday in my car. I have too many things to do, and aimlessly sitting in traffic is not one of them.

No matter how bad the public transportation may be where you are, it has to take less than 3 hours to move 15 miles (assuming 5 mph traffic jams for 3 hours is 15 miles) You'd do better just pedaling a bike on that commute.

And, yes, I know about big city commutes. I used to live in Stamford, CT and worked in Wayne, NJ, and commuted for an hour each way. I changed my schedule so that I didn't have to waste more than an hour of driving. On an occasion, it would take more than that, but not too often. Never felt the need to become lazy and get an automatic.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yes. Please, please, PLEASE take this to a more appropriate discussion. Conversation about manual v automatic is cluttering up this one, where people are likely to expect to find info on the new Accord.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I cant find it but maybe you should post a link to the manual vs automatic blog.

You're arguing over something so petty. Honestly, does it matter if the manual is more involving to drive? Not everyone WANTS to shift! I'd love to drive a MT car but would be just as happy driving an AT. I really doesn't matter. They both have pros and cons.

Besides, I dont remember when honda announced that there wont be any v6 6MT sedans!! ;)

-Cj
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

Honda does tend to be secretive about new models - they always manage to hide until just before introduction. IMHO, the photo opportunities in places like a Kroger lot or when the sedan was spotted on Cape Cod over the July 4th holiday are Honda's way of allowing information to leak out. Why on earth would Honda be testing the new Accord on Cape Cod over the July 4th holiday if it was trying to hide it - it's peak vacation season!!

Even the redesigned rear on the current sedan was "spotted" in the parking garage of a mall in Minneapolis just a few weeks before introduction.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Here ya go: Accord - Manual or Automatic

And FWIW, I agree about the "petty" part.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    the 96-97 was a great looking accord. But the generation after that the 98-2002, was the ugliest accord EVER.

i'd glady take this one over that!

to me, the cv7 (91-93) and the 96-97 gen were the best looking.

the current sedan and future coupe rank high on that list as well.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    You wouldn't have had such a quick drive in the opposite direction, Wayne to Stamford, during rush hours.
  • Options
    angelus1angelus1 Member Posts: 23
    so credited

as far as the whole manual v. auto debate. driving a manual in stop and go traffic is not a big hassle. usually the people who complain about it are usually lazy anyways.

but to each their own. however coupes should be driven as manuals
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    enough, all right already!
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Baloney. Everytime I look at the front end of my 1999 Accord, it reminds me of a NASCAR stock car. It took a while to grow on me, but the wife loved it from day one and refuses to replace it although she can do that any time she wants. The 2003-2006 models with the big butt rearend I can do without. I like the 2007+ styling.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    2003-2005 had the wider-looking rear end. 2006 models got the new LEDs.
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    I got that info from a superhonda.com forum thread.

Edit: Motortrend and vtec.net somewhat confirm the info.
    Edit 2: http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3665606#post3665606

The Source. It will be the biggest accord in interior room. Not so much in size. It will be considered a full size in interior room by the EPA. Cars are rated by interior room for size. The 08 accord will be similar in size to the 03-07 accord. Might even be smaller who knows.
  • Options
    Agree! I like my '02. The exterior does look dated next to the 06-07's. I prefer my interior to the newer models it's more.... well... airy/pleasant/comfortable to me that the newer models. Just my .02.
  • Options
    usnclikecarsusnclikecars Member Posts: 1
    The pictures of the Accord 2008 concept looks small no bigger than current Accords. Why does Honda still want to play small. These pictures in my own opinion just seem lacking for a car to overtake the Camry. They should produce this Accord 2008 concept as a new midrange car (Insight or something) and rebadge the current Acura RL as the new Accord. Could they mass produce the RL and bring it priced under $32,000? RL with textured cloth seats would not be bad. I am a very poor man just dreaming. I own a Accord 2000 V6 and it has served me well, very well.
    http://www.egmcartech.com/2006/12/08/driven-the-new-honda-legend/
  • Options
    I actually think that 1998-2002 Accord has aged very well. But, having 2 million of those on the roads over last ten years isn’t going to make them look “fresh”. :).

That car had typical Honda-ness to it, good details but not overly aggressive as an overall package. One thing that it was lacking was a proper grill. It also seems to have started the front fender to tail lamp “sharp” crease that has become a norm now. At the time, Honda used the side sills to add some character too (note those on first generation CL and 1998-02 Accord). Simple details but perhaps also overlooked by the masses.

And the interior design was great, perfect symmetry with interesting details that showcase Honda’s simple but effective approach. Just take note of that little notch on preset “2” button and you get an idea. And those buttons/knobs have maintained their appearance after ten years and 179K miles of use. They still “click” with the same precision like they did when the car had about 4 miles on it.

I liked the interior design of the 2003+ Accord. It addressed a few weaknesses (below the HVAC) from previous generation, although the beltline went up. This took away the open/airy feel that the 1998-02 delivered. Exterior styling was lost, somewhere between being daring and conservative. A nice element of surprise was hiding the hood to fender gap using the crease on the hood. There were some subtle styling cues that gave it a muscular look on the side and from some angles, but it was the rear (and to some extent the grill, or lack of) that took away all the styling credibility.

The “width” of the rear got exaggerated by the shape of the tail lamp which also made it look like the whole rear end was sagging while the top of the trunk wanted to go up, especially with the white strip (which changed the appearance a bit for good with all-red tail lamp in 2005). Also didn’t help was the way the tail lamps tapered on the side. It didn’t match the edge of the head lamp, and also exaggerated the wider look. A minor dip at the top of the trunk lid on either side of the license plate didn’t help either.

2008 Accord is pleasing to my eyes, quite a bit along the lines of 1998-2002 Accord. And this time, complete with a proper grill. Sedan could have used a bit of aggressiveness with the tail lamp treatment, to bring back the old styling element but with an “edge” (1988 Prelude to 1998 Accord to 2008 Accord would have made perfect sense). And the rear end actually looks like an evolution of the 2006-2007 Accord too, except that the brake lamp is back behind the rear glass, and triangular tail lamps have given way to quads. Love the coupe. One weakness is the gap between the bumper and the hood. Honda needs good finishers. They start right, get most of it right and leave an element or two to be desired. Why didn’t they just let the hood shut right over the grill?

I can bet the pictures don’t do justice to these cars at all. In fact, recently, I went back and looked at pictures of 2004 TL concept and was surprised to see how much more impressive the car looks in flesh than in this picture. In fact, I think 2004 TL is arguably the best looking Acura, right alongside the 1992-1995 Legend, two cars that have near perfect execution of styling elements.

But as always, I’m really curious to see what the interior is like. That always gets my attention, as do the drive trains and driving experience. Honda has always found a way to impress me with Accords, perfectly packaged. Now only if they actually took advantage of the chassis and added more flavor to it, along the lines of an “Si” trim.
  • Options
    while not offensive, is no looker to me.

the cv7's and the generation previous to it, are so much nicer looking.

a nice 97 accord special edition v-6. that car was a looker. the taillights are gorgeous.

i'm suprised that so many fans of this accord were displeased by the tailights of the gen that followed after it. to me, that generation just took this cars rear and made it smile a bit more.

interesting to look at, but i prefer the new led style lights.
  • Options
    There wasn't a Special Edition V6 Accord in 1997, was there?

The only one I'm aware of was the Special Edition 4-cylinder, which added CD, Alloys, woodgrain trim, and a moonroof to the LX model 4-cyl (130hp version, no VTEC).
  • Options
    i thought there was? it may have been a 96? i work at the bank, and have seen some of that gen accord with special edition badges, with v-6 badges. i'll look it up.

Grad, you understand the love that is to be had for this gen accord right? ;)
  • Options
    Oh yes I do... I currently love my own '96!

Let me know if you find anything about that SE V6. I've never been one to doubt ya my friend, but I don't remember ANYTHING like that in the previous generation V6s.
  • Options
    just checked up on it man; you know your accords! ;)

i was confusing it with the 'se' trim level, in which there was a v-6 offered. It usually camed totally decked out with an auto tranny and leather interior/wrapped wheel.

the actual 'special edition' had some ex features but featured the lx spec engine.
  • Options
    Up until 2007, I don't think Honda has offered SE-V6 model. There was a value package model added to 1996 lineup (between DX and LX) and it was replaced by a special edition coupe/sedan model in 1997 to fit between LX and EX trims.

Speaking of styling though, I see 1994-1997 as a conceptual predecessor to 2004+ TL.
  • Options
    There was a value package model added to 1996 lineup (between DX and LX)

Correct robertsmx. The Value Package of this generation can be seen by its body-colored door handles but 14" wheels (DX models had black handles and 14"s, LX had body colored handles AND 15"s).

And yes, eldiaino, I know my Accords. I guess it is because my parents have had a 90, 92, 93, 00, 01, 03, and 05, on top of my 96 and 06!
  • Options
    Agree. My 02 feels like new w/84k on it. The beige leather interior seems much more open and airy compared the the last gen. I do prefer the exterior of the 06-07's to my 02. I do wonder if that trunk tail light assembly on the 06-07's will rattle after a few hundred slams. The new Accord does appear more upright and it is larger so the interior should be fine. 7 more days.
  • Options
    Well, for what its worth (and that isnt much) I have no rattles out of mine, after 23k miles, and it has the LEDs in the trunk.
  • Options
    Good for you grad. But you're not a bass fishing bubba like me. I use my trunk a lot. :)
  • Options
    Well, I don't tow much like I know you do, but I've moved myself in my car, my parents to Oklahoma, and my parents again this summer to Gulf Shores. My car has stayed loaded a lot lately!

And, I'm from Alabama, you could call me Bubba if you wanted! :)
  • Options
    I do prefer the exterior of the 06-07's to my 02.
    Could have been much better for MY2006, had Honda kept something along the lines of the Japanese version...

compared to American...

And pre-MMC in Japan...

This is why I'm happy to finally see a real grill in the Accord.
This discussion has been closed.