Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The 4 cylinder might be the 180 and 200 hp rumors that we have been hearing. I think it might just be 273 hp since thats what honda said. All accords will take 87 octane gas.
  • Options
    stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    It's a 2.4L 190 HP i4
    The v6 sedan cant be ordered with a manual tranny. Only a 5 speed automatic transmission. The EX-L v6 coupe will have a manual transmission.

Thanks, that's what I had thought from prior pots but it's good to have verification. my main concern will be if the 190HP will be enough to move such a large car.
    The Accord has really grown which is a good thing but will have to look at the Coupe since I really want the V6 with a manual and 4 doors. Not this year I guess.
    Thanks again :)
  • Options
    maddog11maddog11 Member Posts: 42
    According to one of the writers at TOV website, who attended the press launching in Boston, the HP numbers given then have since been revised. Apparently the 273 vs. 268, 200 vs. 190, and 180 vs.177 are the original and revised figures. The EPA mileage numbers are the same that a Honda employee reported 6 weeks ago for both engines.
  • Options
    I was just thinking how really Big the new Accord is, my gosh after looking at the pics online of the sedan which has the most pics and figuring it's got to be longer by a few inches than the old model. The New Accord is probably only a foot shorter than a Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab Pickup truck with 4 doors and a 5 foot bed!
    The 4 door Tacoma with crew cab is 208.1 inches in overall length. My Hi-Lux is basically the same size just a different name. Now the older Accord is like 197 inches long. The new Accord will probably be 3-4 inches longer. That is a big car!
    This isn't a slam against Honda, just an observation.
    I would say it's about the size of a 5 series BMW inside!
    That's pretty darn big.
    What is even more amazing is the fuel economy figures, if true will make it very close to the majority of compact cars most of which do not get all that good a mileage if you load them up with weight.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The current Accord is much bigger than a 5 series BMW inside. 103 cuft vs about 96.
  • Options
    The current Accord is much bigger than a 5 series BMW inside. 103 cuft vs about 96.

I stand corrected :blush:
    The new Accord is a Big vehicle I think it will be a good alternative for those people who need more space but don't want an SUV.
    I bet if it has pass through seats in the back you could turn it into a full size bed! :shades: Similar to the Fit.
  • Options
    fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
  • Options
    master_ryumaster_ryu Member Posts: 47
    Uh..hmm I was hoping for an digital display speedometer like the new Civics. Steering wheel looks cool, but the center panel is a little too cluttered.
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    I agree with the clutter! Wow, I'm not impressed at all.

And how the heck could one install a custom stereo in there? I'll still have to chew on that one.
  • Options
    maddog11maddog11 Member Posts: 42
    The 2007 Accord is 191.1 inches long; the 2008 has grown to 194.1. Thw width has grown from 71.6 to 72.7 inches and the wheelbase from 107.9 to 110.2. The interior is large enough now to be considered by the EPA as a full size car.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Uh, Yeah! I really like the 2006-07 dash cluster, it was high tech, and clean. The should have kept that same concept, but just change it a bit. I am not sure, I like all the buttons. That dash seems a bit busy. Other than that, it seems nice. I know, gone are the days where you are easily able to put your own stereo in. I'll need to sit in it! Drive it!

I am Sooo excited though!!
  • Options
    benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    6,800 RPM redline is confirmed...
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731

I really like the new gauges. They are a combo between my 1996 and my 2006.

(I like the '96 because of the fullsize tach which is symmetric with the speedo, and the '06 because of the backlighting).

The center stack isn't as clean as my 06 is though. :(
  • Options
    The 2007 Accord is 191.1 inches long; the 2008 has grown to 194.1. The width has grown from 71.6 to 72.7 inches and the wheelbase from 107.9 to 110.2. The interior is large enough now to be considered by the EPA as a full size car.

I'm beginning to wonder if I actually need a car that's that big! :confuse:
    I need a mid size but a full size well that's hard to say. Honda makes great cars and I like the Accord better than the Civic but 194.1 inches that's less than 12 inches shorter than my crew cab Hi-Lux pickup truck!
    My truck is big and I think smaller is better but a test drive will sort it all out. ;)
    Thanks for posting the specs.
  • Options
    bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    Is there any info about improvements, i.e. softening, of the ride in the 2008 models?

When you get to a certain age, you don't want a sporty ride on long trips. It's fatiguing on a long trip even if you aren't in your 50's.

I got one of the first Legends in New Orleans and drove it for 14 years. Best car I ever owned although the Avalon has come close.

We looked at an accord in 2004 and felt the ride was much to stiff and jittery. Opted eventually for an Avalon, but the Camry has a much better ride also. Even heard Accord owners complaining to the car guys on NPR, asking about how they could soften the ride and the response was basically that that was how it was designed and you're stuck with it.
  • Options
    zhelderzhelder Member Posts: 42
    I know that all this discussion is still unofficial until we all actually get to see and drive the car, but it looks like we pretty much know what we're going to get with the '08 Accord.

The exterior and interior both look GREAT to me. The exterior reminds me a bit of the current TL, which I think is a gorgeous car. The early interior pictures had me a little nervous, but after seeing today's pictures I realize that was for nothing. The instrument cluster looks beautiful, like a refined version of the '03-'05 layout.(I thought the '06-'07 design was a step backwards.) I also think it's great that the car's a bit bigger, especially on the inside. Finally, it looks like the GUI for the navi has gotten a major graphics overhaul, which was desperately needed, as the graphics on the '03-'05 cars were dated even when they were introduced in '02.

However, I think that Honda is going to keep this car from blowing away the Camry and Altima by not including some things that are included in both of those cars. The biggest omission for me is the lack of a keyless entry/pushbutton start system. I hate fumbling for keys when my hands are full of junk.

No rear AC vents is another major disappointment. Even my junky '96 Taurus had that.

I was really hoping for a gated/manumatic shifter. Would I use it often? Probably not. I just think they look great and make the car look nicer and sportier.

The lack of traffic updates in the navigation system is also a major disappointment. This feature should have absolutely been included in a new system.

The dial/joystick interface for the navi may look kind of cool, but I think it will make the system more difficult to use than the touch screen. And I don't buy the excuse that the touch screen systems are unreliable and prone to breakdown. How many people here have had their touch screens break down? This seems like a clever cost-cutting move to me.

And has anyone heard any specs about the audio? I have a feeling we're not going to get a true premium sound system like those available in the Altima and Camry, but I'm sure it will be an improvement over the current system.

Also, does the navi screen appear to be smaller? Or is it just the pictures playing tricks with my eyes?

So, Honda has done some GREAT things with the new Accord. But the omissions are very disappointing. Hopefully Honda will find a way to include these items for '09. I'm not planning to give up by '04 Accord any time soon, but if I was in the market for a new car I think I'd have a tougher time this time around deciding between the Accord, Camry, and Altima than I did back in '03, when it was a no-brainer for the Accord.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Is there any info about improvements, i.e. softening, of the ride in the 2008 models?

I wouldn't qualify "softening the ride" as an improvement. Some of us 50+ guys really like the Accord's sporty ride. :shades:

Nice to have choices though.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    When you get to a certain age, you don't want a sporty ride on long trips. It's fatiguing on a long trip even if you aren't in your 50's.

If Honda went soft on Accord, I would have to shop somewhere else. The longer wheelbase should help in improving ride quality, but I don't expect Honda to disconnect drivers from the road. The right balance between ride and handling is Accord's strength. Leaning towards one end (Camry/Altima S or L) or the other (Altima SE/Mazda6) would be a turn off for a lot of typical Accord buyers.

That said, it is soft cars that tire me. I want to feel connected when I drive. But then, I've ways to go before having to blowing 50 or more candles. :)
  • Options
    I actually don't think the dash is busy or cluttered. With as many features as Accord has now, it is hard to do without buttons without resorting to something like i-Drive or using one button for multiple functions (which can be messy). Simplicity is the best approach, and I see that in this Accord, and in 1998-2002.

2003-2007 also looked nice, but it was not the best design from Honda in terms of usability. A proper grouping of buttons is where things should start and this one shows it.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Any good photos out there without nav? (not the through-a-parked-window ones)
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    totally agreed! the perfect ride/handling balance is one of the accords best traits, and unmatched by the competition. (like you posted robertsmx, its either uber soft, or too stiff.)

is the higher performing 4 cyl for ex models confirmed? the prev gen accord featured this, as did the civic. But both the current civic's and current accords have shyed away from this practice. I wonder if honda really is going to return to the old formula. Granted i think it would be cool, but no deal breaker if they don't. (i remember when i got my civic, i was ever so slightly dissapointed that the ex trim had the same output as the dx and lx, because my 01 ex had a few horsies more. But i got over it!.)
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'm with the majority of people posting here, it seems. I like the Accord's ride/handling.

I've heard as many people complaining of the body roll in the Accord (meaning too soft) as I have from it being too sporty (meaning to firm). If anything, the Accords today ride smoother than those from generations past (paritally owning up to larger wheelbases and higher curb weights).

If you want cushy and are willing to give up some driving enjoyment, check out the Camry, it may be right up your alley. As for me and my house, we will drive Accords. (Me and my house serve the Lord as well! :) Couldn't resist).
  • Options
    Yep it will be the 190 HP i4 engine. All engines will be PZEV, hence the lower hp.
  • Options
    chrisxxxchrisxxx Member Posts: 18
    I think the suspension is too stiff and jittery for a family sedan overall even if it is better handling.

To me the obvious solution would be for Honda to have a 'regular' family comfy style set-up and a 'sport' version upgrade for those who like it.

We opted for the sport version on our Highlander because the 'reg' version had way too much body roll. We are glad we had that option.

Seems like a sensible thing for the Accord to do no?

Otherwise my next car will be something a little more 'cush' although I was excited about the deisel rumours. I am getting older and am often really tired at the end of the day and need more comfort now I guess.

I thought the suspension in the older Accords was the perfect combo of handling and comfort....it was to me anyway.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Well excuse me,but 194 inches is too much reduction in garage space! I'll just wait for a 260 ft. pound 179" CRV diesel!
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    that's interesting, as I don't think there is a PZEV car that you can purchase in all 50 states.

I'd like that though...

194" sounds rather long though. My I35 is about that length and it feels kind of big sometimes...
  • Options
    novaguy200novaguy200 Member Posts: 12
    Is the 194.1 length on the 08 for the sedan? Is the coupe the same or smaller in lenght?
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    I've been looking for some solid info on the horsepower rating for the 2008 Accord coupe V-6. Anybody know or is it still a secret?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    268 hp. Same as the sedan. No Advance VCM. The coupe is more of a performance car. The Sedans vcm can do 3-4-6. Cuts off 2 or 3 cylinders when needed. The v6 coupe can only be had with leather.
  • Options
    mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Civic has it, now Accord will have stupid steering wheels. Are these supposed to be some kind of fashion statements? Cause I don't get it.

With a proper dash design, you don't need audio controls on the steering wheel (which adds cost, liability for something to go wrong, and complication). The cruise should be on a stalk (Toyota does it well). Driver air bag don't have to be big.

The steering wheel should be uncluttered, with lots of room for large hands or hands in heavy winter gloves. Small is cool. Thickened to encourage 10:00/2:00 grip is OK.
  • Options
    Psssst. Most of us don't have to look at the steering wheel to operate the radio and cruise controls.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I do agree about the ugliness of the steering wheel, but like the controls. The previous wheel was the best of both worlds in my opinion.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The Accord never had the right balance of ride and handling. It is possible to have good handling with a ride that is not rough.
    There is a difference between a controlled ride and a rough, jarring ride. The Accord is a rough rider over freeway expansion joints.
    Very bad and uncomfortable freeway hop.
    They don't have to make it super soft with sloppy handling like a Buick (before anyone makes any "Well, you can buy a Buick if you want a smooth ride" comments) to give it a livable ride.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    "The Accord is a rough rider over freeway expansion joints. Very bad and uncomfortable freeway hop."

What Accord have you been driving? Where have you been driving? How overinflated have you had your tires? Have you had a problem with your shocks or struts? Is yours a question of the princess and the pea?

I've had a 1990, 1995 and a 2004 and have never had any reason to even think of what you've suggested.

You're right. Different strokes for different folks. Perhaps a Buick is for you.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The current Accord is the smoothest riding Accord to date IMO, without sacrificing handling. I like it just the way it is. If you want a smoother riding car, I suggest you look elsewhere. As far as the new 08 Accord interior goes (I like the exterior) I would not want Nav. so the screen above the A/C vents would not sit well with me. I wonder if they have a completely different configuration for Non-Nav. models? It looks like about 10-20 more buttons than I would ever need. I'm glad I have an 03 Accord, and will not be needing one from this generation (or probably the next). Can't wait to see what the 2018 Accord will be like. ;)
  • Options
    bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    It could be that is one reason Toyota is beating the pants off Honda. I drove four Toyota's last week: two Camry's and two Avalons. There were two suspensions for each: SE and XLE in the Camry, and Touring and regular in the Avalon. They were easily distinguishable.

My Legend rode smoothly and handled well without being harsh. With the improvements in technology, it seems that Honda could do that in the Accord. It may be that many are just too used to the jittery ride to realize that it is not a prerequisite to good handling.
  • Options
    I couldn't disagree more. Accord affords the best compromise between ride quality and handling in its class, period. If you find it jarring, where would you put Altima and Mazda6?

I can't stand driving Camrys, SE trim or not. They do make for good rentals though (but only because I can't find Accords to rent... except once when it was offered at a $10/day premium).
  • Options
    Doing away with those steering controls would be going backwards. Honda knows ergonomics. I hate the cruise control stalk used by Toyota (and VW). Many of my finds about Honda's attention to detail shows how much thinking goes into their designs.

I can give you couple of examples right off the bat. My '98 Accord has six preset buttons, laid in two rows with three each. Preset button "2" has a notch, similar to what you will find on "F" and "J" keys on your keyboard. Guess what the purpose is... the same as it is on the keyboard. It allows you to orient yourself with the position of your finger without having to look at it. Besides, all other controls are laid out in symmetry and grouped by function. Little details like this are likely to be overlooked by most, but it is easy for someone like me to "get it". As you can tell, I manage to notice and appreciate little things.

Another example is in my TL. The steering wheel has three buttons on each side. Left side is for audio controls, and the right three buttons are for cruise control.

The "cruise" button is on/off switch for cruise control. The cancel button has four dots, and each side of the other button (up for resume/accel, down for set/decel).

Now here is the interesting part (besides those dots that you see, again to let your fingers know their location). The "cruise" button is raised slightly, unlike the others (including the mode button on the opposite side). This tells the driver that the cruise is off. I can tell, without looking at the dash or at the button or any indicator that the cruise is off, simply by feeling it.

Thats ergonomics. I wouldn't question Honda's excellence in that department. They seem to know better than anybody else in the business.
  • Options
    I would not buy a car w/o steering wheel audio and cruise controls. Agree w/ Elroy. There are way to many buttons in that pict for a southern boy. I like it simple. :)
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    It could be that is one reason Toyota is beating the pants off Honda.

The best is rarely the biggest.
  • Options
    99tcamry99tcamry Member Posts: 15
    I for one, like the new Accord steering wheel. I think it looks sporty and not cluttered. I'm glad we didn't get that wierd steering wheel that Civics have or that one in the Honda Sport 4 concept that was square-ish.

I am worried about the vents though. I have a '99 Accord and I love with position of the front vents. The navigation seems to push them down too low in the '08s. This was a problem with the new Sonata. With the vents too low I think I'd get too hot without the air blowing at a higher stance. Hopefully on the non navigation models the vents will be positioned a little higher up.
  • Options
    Vents in the non navi model are identical to the navi model.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I think the accord will be like the Nissan Maxima(or Infiniti FX or non related Nissan Murano) in this respect. The Non Navi models will still have a recessed non color screen with information (Statistics, information, temperature, and time or. S.I.T.T.). Then that non color screen gets replaced by the color screen Navigation system and respective buttons.

Lets be glad for 3 things honda stopped doing.

1) PLEATHER
    2) Horn Buttons where current radio/cruise buttons are
    3) 4AT

Any guesses to where the Sunroof buttons will be? Why?

-Cj
  • Options
    stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    sunroof buttons on the CRV are on the roof. could be the same here. very intuitive
  • Options
    whatsthedealwhatsthedeal Member Posts: 3
    you say the fuel economy is 19/29 for the V6, yet the 4door sedan has VCM and the coupe is without VCM. how could the MPG be the same?

Plus, any breakdowns on the models available with the coupe in terms of engines and interior finishes?
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Sorry for an off-topic question, but you've got some insight I value - how did you like the Avalon Touring's ride/handling compared to the others? C/D called it 'crunchy', whatever that means...
  • Options
    4 more days.
  • Options
    Honda hasn't offered 4AT in Accord since 2002.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    4 more days til info is released?? Will this mean info released on the honda website too? This is getting good! You know were all crazy, oh well. Woohoo!!
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    is what a lot of you folks are doing.

'i don't like the steering wheel' 'wah wah wah' 'too many buttons to process! wah wah wah'! come on!!!!

what is so weird about the civics or new accord steering wheel? it looks cool and i would assume after judging how comfy the civics wheel is, the accords will be too.

honda knows ergonomics people. the practically wrote the book on it.

the stalk cruise thing on vw's and toyos does kinda stink.
This discussion has been closed.