Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    The website has been down since Sunday morning. Looks like something is cooking...
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    You are welcome, but wrong again.....maybe 10 million viewers are watching a NASCAR race in the US and maybe Canada, but hundreds of millions are watching an F1 race worldwide. So, what don't I get?
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    You're right, and you're raving about it too. I drive a Honda and watch NASCAR too, although not as a first choice anymore. Golf has proven to have more excitement. When drivers aren't good enough for F1 or IndyCar, they move on to NASCAR, so you're right about that too. Now, bring on the specs for the new Accord!
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    They come out with specs tomorrow right? or no?
  • Options
    Yep, but I think we have a pretty good idea of the specs already. I'm more interested in pictures.
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    has nothing to do with this thread, but since i'm all about putting my .02 cents in, i will say that i love it when someone talks crap on nascar; everyone gets so butt hurt about it! :P

having said that f-1 and wrc are amazing, and all of them (yes nascar included) require skill.

cant wait for the specs! ;)
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Just in case it slipped by, we do have a wonderful board dedicated to Motorsports

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    obieobie Member Posts: 39
    Thank you for that very helpful bit of information. Maybe tomorrow, after the embargo ends and the '08 specs and pics are revealed, we can all really get back to talking about the 2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan. ;)
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    When drivers aren't good enough for F1 or Indy Car, they move on to NASCAR, so you're right about that too.

Montoya is an F1 champion, and is a better driver than most current F1 drivers (if you knew anything about F1 you would know that). He went to NASCAR for the $$$$ and fame. The latest Indy 500 winner (Dario Franchiti) is rumored to be another driver switching to NASCAR. Back in the day, NASCAR drivers wanted to be Indy and F1 drivers. Now, it's the other way around. This is enough about NASCAR though, I want to see more details about the 08 Accord. :( Not that I'm going to buy one, I'm just a Honda nut.
  • Options
    fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    ^^^ F1 drivers want to be NAS-TY-CAR drivers?? :( :sick: Pass what ever you are smoking buddy.......

In F1, Montoya is looked at as an idiot that downgraded to a lesser "sport". The main reason he made the jump is that he had not secured a ride with an F1 team for the next season.

Now please lets get back to the 2008 Accord!!! Specs will be out hopefully at midnight eastern!!
  • Options
    angelus1angelus1 Member Posts: 23
    titcr, montoya has always been a cry baby from CART to f1.

lweis hamilton can pwn any nascar driver, any day
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    He went to NASCAR for the $$$$ and fame. The latest Indy 500 winner (Dario Franchiti) is rumored to be another driver switching to NASCAR. Back in the day, NASCAR drivers wanted to be Indy and F1 drivers. Now, it's the other way around. This is enough about NASCAR though, I want to see more details about the 08 Accord.

Well if it IS enough about NASCAR, why do you keep making these comments in the Accord forum AFTER the host told you to take this junk over to the Motorsports forum???

What about that concept is so difficult for you, Elroy5, and fxguy and angelus1 to understand????
  • Options
    master_ryumaster_ryu Member Posts: 47
    Dammit, I'm gonna spam the refresh button for www.hondanews.com like crazy tomorrow.
  • Options
    Relax dude!! Dont burst a blood vessel. We will get back to Hondas in 90 mins after the embargo is lifted!!
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    The majority of folks in this forum are here for 2008 Honda Accord discussions. Please take your unrelated posts elsewhere.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    We should start a countdown to the big day, starting with the east coast (I'm Central Time, personally). I can only think of one man for the job...

image;)

Seriously though, on VTEC.net, there are some photos at this link (go forward or backwards from here).
  • Options
    bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    >The majority of folks in this forum are here for 2008 Honda Accord discussions.

Sure doesn't seem like it :)

I thought Honda buyers were better than NASCAR.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Don't bother. Their site is failing under the massive load of web traffic.
  • Options
    Don't be so sure. I live in the land of Nascar legends Davy and Bobby Allison, as well as Neil Bonnett. In fact, my dealership in my town(Serra Honda, in Hueytown, Alabama - Allison's home) is on "Allison-Bonnett Memorial Drive" and the dealership's name for 20 years was "Neil Bonnett Honda," the marquee which is stuck on the trunk of both my Accords!

Sorry for that little bit of trivia, thought I'd share.

(Hueytown, AL is a suburb of Birmingham)
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    We're multi faceted.
  • Options
    It's Midnight on the East Coast!
  • Options
    Saw this on Honda's UK website, thought it was cool, and somehow shows the attention to detail that the new Accord has received. I'm impressed.
  • Options
    Larger than I want in my garage. I'll just wait for an A VTEC or diesel CRV.
  • Options
    This is a link to the 10 detailed news releases that were posted today on the 2008 Accord by Honda.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/812

By the way eldaino, the second release (the introduction) is where Honda says the Coupe is now classified as a compact.

However it's an increase over 2007 coupe:

"The 2008 Accord Coupe has 92.7 cu. ft. of interior passenger volume, up from the 2007 Accord Coupe's 91.1 cu. ft. "
  • Options
    stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    Is the moonroof a requirement or can it be deleted?
    I really hate having a hole in my roof no matter what company put it there. It seems if you opt for the 190HP engine then you must get the moonroof as an option.
    WTF?! A moonroof is something that should be an option not part of the trim level. Both the Sedan and Coupe look good but I have no use for a coupe that is that large.
    The V6 with a manual should also be in the sedan. if I have to get a moonroof i will wait for the diesel which will hopefully be offered on the lower trim model and therefore no moonroof. but does anyone know for sure about this?
  • Options
    bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_frankfurt/0708_2008_honda_accord_co- upe_and_sedan/

Despite the URL, seems to be newly posted. Another favorable look.
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Damn this car is big. Only 2.5in shorter then a Chrysler 300?? 5 inches LONGER then the Camry!??! Does Honda have plan to introduce a true midsized vehicle in between the new large sedan Accord and compact sedan Civic? Perhaps the Euro Accord/ Acura TSX sized Honda "Something"...

Does the size of the new Accord mean they are expecting the buyer to be similar to the Maxima/ Avalon buyer? I also noticed the average age Accord buyer to be 50. Will that increase to over 60, as C&D thinks??
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    It now looks like the Coupe was always considered a compact car. The Cargo volume is 11.9 cu. ft which compares to last years 12.8
  • Options
    stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    I'm 60 and will be buying an 09 accord when my current lease is up. I started buying/leasing accords in 1981 so we've grown up with them. Therefore some of the buyers will be people who have stuck with them. Some of the younger people have bought/leased Civics as they are now the size, or even bigger, than the older accords.
  • Options
    It's too big. Gimmee a A VTEC or diesel CRV at 179"
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Is the moonroof a requirement or can it be deleted?

The moonroof has been standard on EX models for years. If you don't want a moonroof, you have to go to a lower trimline. This is nothing new for Honda.

I agree with you about the lack of a manual in the V6 though.... that's a first for Honda.
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    I agree with you about the lack of a manual in the V6 though.... that's a first for Honda.

The current model did not get a manual for the v6 until MY 2006.

My guess (completely uneducated) is that Honda will follow the same pattern and introduce a v6 manual in a couple of years.
  • Options
    PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
    Zero to 60 mph: 5.8–7.4 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 14.9–23.1 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 14.4–16.0 sec

Wow! The V6 Coupe comes in at 5.8secs? Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Even the lesser powered 4 banger is no slouch!!

It sort of makes me mad though that like the last gen accord, Homelink is only available on the top of the line EX-L V6. I guess people with 4 bangers must live in apt buildings with no garages!! :)
  • Options
    The current model did not get a manual for the v6 until MY 2006.

I guess I never paid that much attention. I've always been an I4 manual guy so the point is moot for me anyway. :shades:
  • Options
    V6 w/manual is available but Coupe only (like it was when MY2003 arrived). With virtually all sales going for automatic transmission, there isn't a whole lot of incentive to offer 6MT in sedans, especially to begin with.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Wow! The V6 Coupe comes in at 5.8secs? Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the current one clocked in at 5.9 secs by some tests, so not much of an improvement. I would have expected more, but since the car grew ....

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Well, the current one clocked in at 5.9 secs by some tests

The current model in some tests get mid 6's in the 0-60 as well.

C&D always estimates 0-60 and 1/4 mile times untill they do a comparo. I don't think the Accord will break 6 seconds.
  • Options
    In theory, 268/248 lb-ft HP with 3500 lb will be good for better than 5.8s (heavier, and less powerful 2004 TL has recorded 5.7s). In reality, FWD is not the best way to record 0-60 times, and a lot depends on traction. That would be another reason I pay closer attention to rolling starts like 5-60 that few road tests include (the other being the fact that rolling start does not involve high rpm clutch drop but more closely mimics a typical acceleration scenario).

Unless Honda has deliberately civilized the Accord V6 in lower gears, and excellent traction upon launch is available, it could do 0-60 in ~5.6s with manual and ~6.2s with auto. This is based on a formula I developed a few years ago, which takes into consideration: gear ratio, curb weight, 200 lb driver, 15% drivetrain loss with auto (modified for new SAE standard). There are several other factors that can't be included (traction being one, besides, the shift in weight towards the rear).

This discussion always reminds me of Acura CL-S and BMW 330Ci comparison by C&D in 2001 (IIRC). Everybody focused on 0-60 and paid no attention to 5-60 time. To them, the 100 lb lighter (3350 lb) 330Ci had stronger horses. Well, let us re-visit the numbers:

CL-S (3450 lb/6MT)
    0-60: 5.9s
    5-60: 6.2s

330Ci (3350 lb/6MT)
    0-60: 5.8s
    5-60: 6.5s

TO make a comparison between CL-S and the new Accord, the CL-S was rated 260 HP/232 lb-ft but using old SAE standard. With the new, one could expect it to be re-rated ~250 HP/225 lb-ft, and that was to carry 3450 lb. The new Accord seems to be about 50 lb heavier, but has +18 HP and +23 lb-ft at its disposal.

As long as traction isn't a big issue, it will be quite a bit faster than the CL-S.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    5.9 secs is a measured time, not estimated. I'd look for it, but don't have the time. It was either C&D or R&T. I'm sure someone will post a link.

Mid-6s would be more like a real-world, low-rpm, drive-it-like-your-making-payments launch. While I agree this is realistic, its not comparative to the 5.8 number being batted about.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    What other differences are there between the ex-L 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder?(eg: homelink) In last generation stability control was only on 6 cylinder.
  • Options
    What other differences are there between the ex-L 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder?

See for yourself:

08 Accord Sedan Specs

08 Accord Coupe Specs
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Is the V6 only available on the EX trim, as shown in the sedan specs? Major problem - sunroof :mad:
  • Options
    If headroom is a concern, then there is additional headroom in the first place...
  • Options
    If you don't like the moonroof, you won't get a V6... at least in 08.
  • Options
    gone are the days where you are easily able to put your own stereo in.

Well after finally seeing the interior of the non-navigation model vtec.net, I see that the stereo is clustered in the center of the control panel, so one easily will be able to yank that out and install a custom deck.

On the navigation models one may be stuck with the standard system.

I haven't found anything about an SD card reader. Which is odd because it is offered in the civic.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A new discussion for the Inside Line article has been created. Please post your comments there.

Article Comments - First Drive: 2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan
This discussion has been closed.