Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    This is the link that honda e-mailed me this morning for Accord info on their web-site

http://automobiles.honda.com/2008-accord/?modelname=accord+sedan
  • Options
    bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    For example, location of power plugs and jack for mp3 player.
    Where all the switches are located.

Thanks.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    location of power plugs

I'm pretty sure the 2 outlets will the same as the previous generation. One is in the console and the other is located under a flip up lid. It would be under the iPod in this pic... or maybe they switched it to the left side so that it would be under the phone.

It kind of looks like the jacks may be in the center stack storage compartment. At least that's the impression I get from this pic.

• Options
    Does it have them?

I remember when we looked at Accords a few years ago and decided to pass, the lack of automatic headlights was one negative. You figure a car with 200 cup holders could have automatic headlights. Even my 1999 Lumina does.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Just found an interesting shot here http://automobiles.honda.com/2008-accord/

If you click on the photos link and scroll through, it looks like they have an ipod in the center compartment. This makes perfect sense to me. If the jack is built-in, why not put it where it will be easy to hide the player?

Just remember: Ipod not included. :)
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Does it have them?

I have automatic headlights on my 06 EX-L.

Looks like the 08 will have auto-off on all trimlines and auto-on/off on the EX-L
  • Options
    stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    I would like to know if they are having similar equipment on the 4 and 6 cylinder EX-L
  • Options
    location of power plugs and jack for mp3 player

Interior information can be found in this news release:

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/812/releases/4107

It states:

Auxiliary Input Jack
    For the first time, the 2008 Accord comes with an auxiliary input jack (aux-in) that allows the easy connection of personal audio players to the audio system. The aux-in jack is conveniently located in the center console, along with a 12-volt power point that can charge the personal audio player. Plugging a portable audio device into the aux-in jack automatically sets the volume at a preset level; when the device is unplugged, the volume resets to its previous level.
  • Options
    I would like to know if they are having similar equipment on the 4 and 6 cylinder EX-L

There is a full side by side comparison chart at this link:

Sedan
    http://www.hondanews.com/categories/812/releases/4103

Coupe
    http://www.hondanews.com/categories/812/releases/4102
  • Options
    Thanks for info about the audio. Sounds very nice.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger on a Toyota week before last. Am pressed to replace an old car that died and almost did, but decided to wait for this release. I do hate to pay retail, but if this drives as nice as it looks, might do it.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The 2007 and previous Accords do not offer automatic headlights, just a "delay-off" sort of feature (my 06 has this as well). They have a feature that turns them off if you leave them on, after leaving and locking the vehicle. They do not have a dusk sensor like most GM vehicles that turns them on automatically, however.

Here is what Honda calls it for the 2007 EXL V6

"Multi-Reflector Halogen Headlights with Auto-off"

Honda does not currently offer the GM-esque Automatic ON/OFF headlights on the Accord for 2007, that would operate with a switch like thisimage
  • Options
    jweston1jweston1 Member Posts: 15
    You will be lucky to just pay retail. It will be the days of scotchguard, door edge moulding, rust proofing.... Etc. You WILL pay over retail. :lemon:
  • Options
    lilajlilaj Member Posts: 15
    2008 accords will have auto on/off healights as seen in this picture.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/RsXHRVuxZYI/AAAAAAAAREE/aBKHUjdXquU/s1600-h/- csp_08Accord_162.jpg
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I like that! Prefer to keep lights off at times, and the override allows best of both worlds.

Welcome to Hondamentalism! (thought that was funny, and quite true)
  • Options
    I like that! Prefer to keep lights off at times, and the override allows best of both worlds.

It's not that revolutionary. My 2003 Avalon has it.
  • Options
    2008 accords will have auto on/off healights as seen in this picture.

Eagle eye :)
  • Options
    rpacrpac Member Posts: 83
    :sick: I did not go far enough in order to find out the horsepower rating becuse I was stopped in my tracks when I read the new V-6's will have an engine management system. Depending on your driving style the car will switch from running on 6 cylinders,to four or even 3 cylinders. Crossed Honda off my list. Maybe it's a good thing I don't know. But I am not going to be one of the first to try it.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,971
    But I am not going to be one of the first to try it.

No, you are not, nor would you be even if you bought one because Honda has been using it in other vehicles for quite some time now.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    novaguy200novaguy200 Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone seen a link with a shot of all color options for the coupe? Have seen a few here and there, but not any place with all in one....curious to see the gray metallic.
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Odyssey has had valve management for a while, that's the only one I know of for sure.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,971
    also the fwd ridgeline and i believe pilot.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    I agree. I've been anxiously awaiting this car but now it is too long for my garage. What were they thinking?
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,726
    And Honda's had valve management for a long time, just not the on-off type. There's really a lot of well-developed technology in VCM.
  • Options
    jweston1jweston1 Member Posts: 15
    #1976 of 1981 Re: 2008 Honda Accord engine [rpac] by qbrozen Aug 21, 2007 (5:43 pm)
    Replying to: rpac (Aug 21, 2007 5:38 pm)

But I am not going to be one of the first to try it.

No, you are not, nor would you be even if you bought one because Honda has been using it in other vehicles for quite some time now.

The engine is totally new . The new one is 3.45 Litres VS the old 3.02 Litre. New compter and fuel managenent systems as well, not a direct carryover from one to the other.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Just saw the new pics here in Edmunds a few hours ago and I am really bowled over by how good the new Accord actually looks, a nice evolution with a bit of a Mercedes rear end. The interior shown seems very upscale, more like something from an Acura.
    Will be very surprised to see what the 4 banger looks like. Hopefully that'll happen within the next few days. Good job Honda, you've raised the bar in this class and are now truly the benchmark that other manufacturers will be striving for!

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The new Accord looks like a fine car, and I think it will at least retain it's current status in this segment. It has a little more of everything compared to my 03 EX V6. If I was in need of a car right now, I would be looking at the equipment options and colors right now, and anticipating a test drive. I don't see myself growing tired of my current car anytime soon though.

The bar has been raised. :)
  • Options
    dimon12dimon12 Member Posts: 10
    Is it me or is it that Honda did away with cool electroluminiscent (optitron) gauges of the prev generation and replaced them with cheaper overstyled regular ones?
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    If someone is trading in his current gen Accord for the 08, he doesn't want to feel like he's looking at the exact same gauges. Not better, not worse, just different. :shades:
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    4cyl Gas mileage is 21/31, down a bit from this generations accords, I would have thought that they would want to keep it the same, I know its not much down, like 3 miles down, but still, The fact I can drive a larger car and achieve better gas mileage than some economy cars is amazing. Its still good though. but it did fatten up a bit, and up the horses a bit. It'll be great
  • Options
    stevenq99stevenq99 Member Posts: 36
    Gas mileage is down because of the new for 2008 way the mileage is calculated. It is supposed to be more accurate. Most cars mileage ratings will be lower on the 2008 models.
  • Options
    It's not necessarily down. EPA changed the way they measure it, so all cars have decreased EPA mileage, even with no change to the car.
  • Options
    About halfway down the following link is a chart comparing the 2008 rating to the theoretical 2007 rating.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/812/releases/410

With more horsepower and weight the gas mileage is about the same as last year.
  • Options
    I am wondering how effective the Active Noise Control on the ex and above models is. Seems like a good idea that might be worth upgrading for.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    They keep adding more horsepower and weight and managing to get around the same MPG rather than keeping weight and horsepower around the same and then increasing mpg instead.
    They are adding more safety equipment, but VSA doesn't weigh 250 lbs, the car is just growing too fat.
  • Options
    zhelderzhelder Member Posts: 42
    From some of the pictures I've seen, it looks like the gagues are electroluminiscent, although it sure is hard to tell in the daytime pictures. I hope they didn't cheap out. After almost four years of admiring these gagues in my '04 Accord, I could not go back to old school gagues. In fact, it would be a deal breaker for me (if I was planning to buy an '08), that's how great I think they are.

They are really making it a tough choice for people this time. Based on the info we have, the '08 Accord definitely has the best looks inside and out compared to the Altima and Camry, and I think the bigger size is a plus. But the lack of comfort and convenience features offered on the other cars (pushbutton start, dot matrix odometers and message displays on the dashboard, gated manumatic shifter, the loss of the touchscreen, rear AC vents, etc.) makes it a tougher choice.

Maybe Honda's saving all its tricks for the '09 TL. I can't wait to see that car!
  • Options
    The engine is totally new .

You are saying this engine is in no way related to the other 3.5L (3471cc) engines in Honda's lineup including that in the TL-S, RL, Ridgeline, Pilot, and Odyssey? They just happen to be the exact same cc (3471), including the new Accord?

The point stands that Honda has been using this (VCM) technology for awhile now.
  • Options
    A good example is that for the V6, the new rating system has the Accord at 19/29 MPG. By comparison, the 2007 Accord on this system is at 18/26MPG.

The 2007 4-cylinder Accord has the exact same mileage in the new system (21/31) as the 2008.

Check out this site to see the revised ratings on all cars.
  • Options
    master_ryumaster_ryu Member Posts: 47
    I'm a little concerned that Honda did away with middle trim V6 models. Now it looks like you'd have to pony up the cash for the EX models if you want the V6 engine. I do not want to be spending close to 30K for it. Oh well, if anything the 2.4 liter isn't exactly weaksauce eiher.
  • Options
    Look closer at the trims. The EX-V6 fills the gap where the LX V6 was, now the EX-L V6 takes the top rung (as the old EX-V6 did).

I have a 2.4 2006 and LOVE it. Plenty of pep for very little fuel.
  • Options
    stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    I posted this question yesterday.
    On the previous year's EX-L 4 cylinder, Honda had left certain extras off requiring the 6 cylinder in order to get homelink, VSA etc. Now that stability control is standard, are there any other items that they are leaving off the EX_L 4 cylinder. I have an 07 CRV and the 4 cylinder is fine for our driving. I want to get an 09 accord with 4 cylinder.
  • Options
    Okay doesnt the toyota Camry have the special HID or wanna be HID Lights in the front?

The new accord sedan not having it as a standard feature? or not at all? I would have thought, its almost standard on everything now.

Also it looks like the sunroof switch is on the top by the front dome lights. Which is good!

Okay I was going to trade my car in soon for an EX-L 07 accord, because deals were so good, but I am too excited for the 08, its looks fun. It has more standard features too. Im going to wait. Downside:MSRP prices, No Deals!
  • Options
    cmhcmh Member Posts: 13
    Very disappointed that HID is not available on the Accord 08, even as an option...
  • Options
    Ya, thats crazy, this was there big chance to have the latest goodies, its a set back from the others, but not a big deal. Honestly, the coupe I believe has it, so why not the sedan, even the Camry LE which is base, has it. Oh well. I'll still appreciate the car, because it is honda! Truly amazing! Other options and standard features are on the car, so it'll even all out.

I will say however, They do need to team up with BOSE or Harmon Kardon, and have a nice stereo install. Atleast have a standard separate amp like the new Jetta. Bose would love to team up with honda! It would equal $$$. Put it on the EX-L's, They did up the power in the 08's system, so it will be better. I think at sometime that Bose was with Honda in the past, That would be awesome!! Honda/Acura should do this. Especially with the new MP3 input jack standard!
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I am happy that HID is not offered on the Accord. You have to drop certain features to stay within a certain price range.

I am concerned about the price of the 2008 Accord. I expect a healthy price hike for this model.
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    the camry does not have hid headlamps, they have the cool looking leneses, but not acual hids.

honestly guys, how much can one car be scrutinized?

they did a great job, gave us more power, a safer chassis, a more aggressive look, the same if not better fuel economy, what more could you want?
  • Options
    But the lack of comfort and convenience features offered on the other cars (pushbutton start, dot matrix odometers and message displays on the dashboard, gated manumatic shifter, the loss of the touchscreen, rear AC vents, etc.) makes it a tougher choice.

push button star, dot matrix odometers, and a manumatic shifter are not really comfort features...and offer no real 'convinience', just a tiny bit of a 'cool' factor, which the accord counteracts with its own 'cool' factors.

i can't think of any midsize that has rear vents, at least not direct competitors like the camry, 6, or altima. the passat does have them though, but that an inherit quality of german cars. (i think the 300 and charger have em too, but then again they are based of a platform from mercedes so there ya go.)
  • Options
    lilajlilaj Member Posts: 15
    the camry doesn't have hid headlights, they are called projector headlights which looks "blue" from a distant. they are standard on the 08 coupes
  • Options
    novaguy200novaguy200 Member Posts: 12
    I saw that "rear spoiler" was listed as a feature on the Coupe V6 models...will you be able to get a coupe EX V6 without one? (sorry for the stupid question...I want a V6 coupe, but hate spoilers...)...NEVERMIND...just got a dealer reply that they arrive from the factory WITHOUT spoliers. :-)
  • Options
    one question, why are so many complaining about the ex having a sunroof standard? honda has been doing this forever, why fix it now?

i guess this car is creating so much buzz, non-hondaphiles are jumping on board?

another note on target age groups....i would have no problem driving a new accord if it was withing my price bracket (an ex sedan is a bit out of it.) and i'm 22. grad has an 07 and he's my age too.
This discussion has been closed.