Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,726
    You're right, nothing new for the EX, but last year you could still get a low-line V6 without the sunroof. This will keep me out of the new Accord, I can get a Camry or Avalon V6 without a sunroof.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    another note on target age groups....i would have no problem driving a new accord if it was withing my price bracket (an ex sedan is a bit out of it.) and i'm 22. grad has an 07 and he's my age too.

Yep, I'm with you eldaino. (Mine is actually an 06 but its the same as an 07). I turn 20 Friday. No more teenage years for me. :)
  • Options
    You're right, nothing new for the EX, but last year you could still get a low-line V6 without the sunroof.

That came and the end of the model run (the SE-V6 model, I mean). It is likely to return later in life.

May I ask what you have against the roof? I love it for popping open to vent hot air, opening wide when I have the windows down on a nice day (or cool night). Heck, I even open it with the heat on in the winter time here in Alabama because it keeps things from becoming too stuffy!

If you don't want to use it, keep it closed and keep the shade pulled. It's that simple.

The only thing that would keep me out of a new Accord would be if I couldn't afford one with a sunroof. Fortunately I have a very new 2006 (got in Nov. 05) EX Accord, which we all know has the roof.
  • Options
    Not so simple when you're 6'5". Also, I refuse to buy ($1000) something I do not want and will not use.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I posted this question yesterday.

I responded yesterday to your post by providing the links that listed the specs for the sedan and coupe in all the trimlines. You can do the comparisons yourself because the tables are easy to use. Check out post #1952.
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    except that that extra 1k is getting you more than just a friggin roof!

grad: don't worry man, life is just as fun. ;)
  • Options
    I am concerned about the price of the 2008 Accord. I expect a healthy price hike for this model.

I believe the expectation is that the increase will be $200 - $500 MSRP. Accords traditionally do not increase much in price from year to year. Of course, if you consider how much below invoice people are getting 07s right now, OTD prices will be higher but that is to be expected at the end of a generation.
  • Options
    Buddy, I'm a lanky 6'4" myself, and have a wide range of adjustment I can use in my power seat (all but the top inch or so I can play with, and even then my head isn't in the celing, its just annoyingly high). It's not a problem.

I understand the $ argument whole-heartedly though. If I could I'd sell back my heated mirrors and lighted steering wheel controls (I use the wheel controls, but who needs 'em lit? I don't LOOK at them), but its not the end of the world when as a whole the car is wonderful. It sure beat trying to locate a Camry with the right option package crap on it!
  • Options
    Nope, I'm referring to the cost of the roof only, they go for about $1000 when they're options. The 2007 EX-L V6 AT was about $4000 more than the SE V6 AT.
  • Options
    Life is just as fun

Well, it is about to become a little less so for awhile. School (UAB) starts back for me Thursday morning. Two more years!
  • Options
    except that that extra 1k is getting you more than just a friggin roof!

I agree that there is much more than just the sunroof in the EX this year, especially with the better engine (in the I4). However, his point about height is a frustrating factor. I know thegrad doesn't have trouble with his 6'4" body but I'm the same height and I have to tilt my head most times. The last generation moved the moonroof further to the center of the car so the side gets in my way, not the actual roof. My 95 opening was closer to the door.

I do fine, even on long trips though. Well worth it to me to get the EX.
  • Options
    Ouch... first day of school and then a birthday. What a week for you! :shades:
  • Options
    Tallman, you hit the nail on the head - it's the drop-down that kills the room. All my length's in my body, and I've yet to fit in any sedan with a sun roof.
  • Options
    The last generation moved the moonroof further to the center of the car so the side gets in my way, not the actual roof. My 95 opening was closer to the door.

I guess its because the 2003-2007 is wider, but the roof is the same size?

Just to show I'm not pinned to the roof and that I'm not crazy, here's a pic from the day I got the car. It's me and my dad. I'm leaning forward for the picture my mom was taking (gotta love moms!), so it wouldn't be that close for me typically.

Another one of me standing up, to show my height.

By the way, for those who have heard me talk about our Odyssey we traded in on this car, it can be seen in the background of the second picture parked next to my aunt's 2005 Odyssey. It is granite green, and was a 2000 model.
  • Options
    Maybe I just need to cut my hair that short. ;)
  • Options
    You think its short in THAT picture, you should see me at the moment (buzzed to 1/2 an inch!).

Its been so hot around here this year (103 is the forecast for today in Birmingham) it seemed like the perfect opportunity to buzz it!
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    whoa! well best of luck man, you'll do fine!

my wife and i are driving down to miami in sept for our anniversary, and we'll be passing through georgia. isn't that where you are located?

we'll be in your neck of the woods! :)
  • Options
    Well, I'm in Birmingham, AL, so you'll be nearby!

Have a safe trip!
  • Options
    dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    The way things go with Honda and most other companies, I bet for the '09 or '10 we'll probably end up seeing some of these additional features added to freshen it up (HID's, perhaps 18" wheels on the V-6 sedan...). If they load up the new model with everything from the start, there's nothing to improve upon in a refresh...who knows, maybe memory seats will even be thrown on the accord in another year or two.

Either way, it looks like a really nice car..a lot nicer than my initial impressions were from the spy photos. The interior is pretty impressive, but no more so than its class competition. There are definitely tons of buttons and switches, which doesn't seem very honda-like, but the RDX seemed to start that trend. It is strange they chose to make it even bigger, but maybe they're trying to separate their lineup a little bit more since the Fit moved into the (sub)compact class.
    The 270-watt stereo is also a nice touch and it seems like the first time the Accord has ever given any attention to the stereo system.

Not that a loaded current Accord doesn't have lots of features, but with the new one and the additioanl features, it's kind of exciting to think about how much they're going to have to do to the TSX and TL to make them a step or two above in the Accord in luxury.

Despite all that, I won't be picking one up any time soon!...I just got my '06 last year, which I love so I'll ride that into the ground for several more years. Plus, I'd want to wait for the 6-spd sedan to come back out (i hope) in the next few years anyway.
  • Options
    mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Not sure what they are thinking, I am 59. I waiteded to see the new accord, was really excited about all the improvements, but dont really like its looks. Bought a TL on monday. Now that I have found out that it has no HID's and they made it bigger I am real glad I got the TL.
    Kids are grown, don't have to haul lots of stuff, the days of the minivan are over, want a smaller car not a bigger one. The TSX was a perfect size for me but it did not seem to have enough power. Push button start no thanks,I think the push botton start might be prone to failure. I also think that lack of certain desired features is that so the accord does not steal too many sales from the TL/plus of course to keep cost down.
    Old Mike
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    TX....If you wait 4 years maybe you can get an SE V6. It does help that head room is increased .7. So no V6 sedan w/o sunroof,VCM,and 194" length are negatives for me. I like it simple.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    The new Accord has better headroom (front and rear) with moon roof than Camry has without it.
    Front Headroom (in parenthesis with moonroof)
    Accord: 41.4" (39.0")
    Camry: 38.8" (37.9")
  • Options
    While I like to have leather and moon roof, I do think Honda needs to reconsider its trim levels. What happened to the rather simple DX/LX/EX and LXV6/EXV6 trims? Now we have LX-S and LX-P to overcomplicate things.

DX should be brought back, perhaps a little “less” than LX.
    LX should be like DX with more features. LXV6 should upgrade the engine to V6 and perhaps throw in some features like power seat and home link. People can now have V6 without moon roof and leather, and a lower starting price tag. Perhaps package moon roof and NAV on both as an upgrade (eliminates the need for EX w/cloth seats, and EXV6 with the same).
    EX should have 190 HP, leather and other features. EXV6 upgrades to the V6, and perhaps couple of additional features.

Keep it simple!

I also think that Honda should have considered 6AT for 190 HP/I-4 and V6. VCM should have been offered only on EXV6. Instead, Honda has gone with tall low gears (again!) for the I-4, and V6, and short top gear.

I could never question Honda's choices when it comes to engines. But their choice for transmission ratios always makes me wonder... why?
  • Options
    fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    I guess i am the opposite of some of you guys. I WILL NOT buy a car without a sunroof! I just love em! :)
  • Options
    bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    Anyone have info when the sedans will be available for a test drive? Don't have to be able to buy it on that same date, but need to know if I will buy it.

As I mentioned I need to replace another vehicle and the Accord looks like a likely prospect, but the wife is saying maybe I should just get a Camry since I could wait a month and still find that she doesn't like it.

For example, I tried an Azera. It had everything standard like the new Accord and was a very nice car for the money, but when I took her out in it, she found the passenger seat built too low and no height adjustment. It was intolerable for her back. It was a deal killer. I'm afraid there will be something like that on the Accord.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I am only 6' even and I can't fit in an Accord with a sunroof. Cursed with short legs and good posture.

I do wish they would make them (sunroofs) options as they are polarizing just like leather can be.

At least the new Accord has more headroom so it may work. Unfortunately my current Accord is bigger than I wanted, so the new one went in the wrong direction. I could forgive that though if a diesel came out (with a stick shift).
  • Options
    glennglennglennglenn Member Posts: 55
    We can speculate all day long about the 08 Accords, BUT a lil Math is in hand here. New car, larger (meaning wider, longer and taller). Good or bad. I say Bad, adds weight and the old car was not that small anyway, even for 6 + footers. New engine (3.5). We know that this is a bit heavier and only 20 + HP over the 07 model. Big deal. Weight? About 200-300 LBS more than the old model (meaning that added 20 + HP really gets you NO performance increase unless they reconfigured the gear rations. NO HIDS? I gues they justify this on the ledger side (can you say high cost $$$). Doing the math, I am sure the new car will sell in this day adn age of looking for "frugality", but will it be the superior out of the park home run it has always been. I say a solid triple, BUT not a home run. For the home run, we'll all have to wait for the NEW TL, not the warmed over TL which is now the 08 Accord Sedan. Heck, since we're talking numbers, spring the extra $$ and just get the TL-S.

Glenn

** Miatas suck, always have , always will, get an S2000 instead ***
  • Options
    mth2mth2 Member Posts: 25
    What does the "P" stand for in LX-P?
  • Options
    Premium.
  • Options
    master_ryumaster_ryu Member Posts: 47
    I agree. The trims are getting ridiculous. DX/LX/EX and LXV6/EXV6 should be the only trims. Everything else should be added as options.
  • Options
    stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    one question, why are so many complaining about the ex having a sunroof standard? honda has been doing this forever, why fix it now?
    i guess this car is creating so much buzz, non-hondaphiles are jumping on board?

You are 22 so how many cars have you had in the past with sun/moonroofs? They reduce the rigidity of the car and over time they are going to leak. I've had my share of moonroofs and T-Tops and convertibles and while a convertible is a different animal having a hole in the roof unless it's a droptop is pretty useless IMO.
    It depends on where you live I guess.
    I think it should be a delete option.
    I was dissapointed with the 190HP only being available with a moonroof so the Accord is off my list. I'm sure some people will love having a hole over them and less headroom. I'm just not one of them ;)
    It has nothing to do with being a Hondaphile I've owned quite a few Hondas and many other makes as well. I don't want any of them to have a moonroof either.
  • Options
    The new Accord (120 cu ft) is still smaller than the Sonata (121.3 cu ft). :shades:
  • Options
    They reduce the rigidity of the car and over time they are going to leak

How long does that take? Ten years? 179K miles? The only time I have had a leak issue with moonroof was in my 1988 Corolla GTS which was an aftermarket unit.

As for chassis rigidity, don't worry. A well designed chassis doesn't need excuses, just good design. You would be hard pressed to find a luxury car with moon roof. I don't think they offer spaghetti-like driving experience. :P

You also mentioned headroom... that doesn't seem to be an issue in Accord. And, whats wrong with 177 HP? Too little than what the competition has to offer?
  • Options
    lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    I don't quite have the hairline of Michael Jordan, but I am pretty bald on the top- and sunburn on my scalp is not something that I consider healthy. And I have had heard of sunroofs leaking over time and needing repairs (my daughter's Saturn SL coupe needs a $1200 repair for an inoperative sunroof). Why add complexity for something you don't need/want? For that matter, I don't like leather seats either- that are hot in the Summer, cold in the Winter, and can crack over time. Just give me a 4 cylinder Accord LX and I'll be very happy. And let it run and run and run...
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Edmunds says the car goes on sale September 20th. So that's my guess as far as the first day to test drive. Car dealers probably aren't interested in handing out test drives with no way to sell the car.

Does anyone know when Honda will release pricing data?
  • Options
    And I have had heard of sunroofs leaking over time

I've never heard of an Accord sunroof leaking. Frankly, I think it is pretty near impossible because of the way it is built. If any water leaks through the roof, it would simply enter the huge channel and drain out.
  • Options
    And I have had heard of sunroofs leaking over time and needing repairs

Only one of seven cars that I have owned didn't have moonroof. Of the six I had, only one leaked (1988 Corolla GTS) but it was the only one with aftermarket moonroof that previous owner had put.

The oldest car I have had (and still driving it) is my 1998 Accord, ten years and 179K miles. Leak you say? Not a squeak rattle. It ain't no Saturn.
  • Options
    99tcamry99tcamry Member Posts: 15
    I have a '99 and I do notice a tad of giggling when it's open especially if I hit a bump. It's not enough to be annoying but I do notice it. Luckily it has never leaked.
  • Options
    Giggling - are you telling it jokes, or is it just flirting with you. ;)
  • Options
    Something I do, however, is spraying silicon lubricant around the rubber seals regularly (once every 4-5 months), and also lubricate the moving parts regularly (as I do with doors).
  • Options
    ROFL, dudley :D

It's just ticklish.
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    The 4 cylinder EX-L doesn't get fog lights, hood struts, chrome door handles, dual exhaust, active Control Engine Mounts, homelink, power passenger seat.

The V6 also gets 5 additional strategically placed cup holders (just kidding).
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    The EX models get a compass this time around . . even the TL doesn't have that feature.

I wanted to see the Accord add Blue Tooth and Homelink to all its EX models, along with Manumatic. . . HID lights didn't matter to me

Many of these things cost very little, but Honda deliberately leaves them out so that there is some minimal difference between Honda and the Acura TL. How otherwise can they justify the extra $$$ for TL.
  • Options
    dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    Love most everything about the new model, however = there are two miscues IMO: (If I'm reading the spec sheet right) 1. Bluetooth only available with Nav models. 2. High-end stereo only available with EXL. Mirrors what they did with prev gen offering high-end stereo only in 6MT. Toyota's Camry doesn't make one jump through those hoops and offers best stereo in all but the cheapest models (as an option). Is the best stereo offered as an option in the lower trims? Couldn't tell from the spec list.

Also, agree with all the "no sun/moon roof for me" crowd. Very easy solution that can please everyone = bring back the SE model. Hopefully it will be added soon.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    texases,
    If you can find a car equipped exactly the way you want it, you would be a very rare car owner. We all end up paying for things we don't care for, to get the options we can't do without. When I bought my first Accord (92EX) I didn't want a moonroof (thought maybe it would leak at some point), but I bought the EX anyway for the other extras it did have over the LX. I have grown to like the moonroof, and wanted one on the 03. These moonroofs do not leak (from 17 years of owning Accords with them).
  • Options
    Toyota's Camry doesn't make one jump through those hoops and offers best stereo in all but the cheapest models (as an option). Is the best stereo offered as an option in the lower trims? Couldn't tell from the spec list.

Finding the options you want on the spec sheet, and finding the car with those exact options on a lot, are two entirely different scenarios.
  • Options
    They reduce the rigidity of the car and over time they are going to leak. I've had my share of moonroofs and T-Tops and convertibles and while a convertible is a different animal having a hole in the roof unless it's a droptop is pretty useless IMO.

The Accord moonroofs do not leak. I had the first one for 12 years, and the current Accord for 4 years, and I can assure you, these do not leak (it's all in the design) because the glass part does not seal the water out. The way these moonroofs are designed, I don't think there is any loss of rigidity. You are thinking of old GM T-tops and add-on sunroofs. Not the same thing at all.
  • Options
    bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    Yes, the Toyota distributors in the Southwest and Southeast create packages such that you can't get one option without the other. For example, I had to get leather and heated seats to get stability control on my Avalon. There was a slightly different package that required a spoiler. I think you still have to get heated seats in a Camry to get vehicle stability control.
  • Options
    Let me make this clear (for the last time, I hope) I have not, in 20 years, fit comfortably in a car with a sunroof. I will therefore not buy one with a sunroof.
  • Options
    stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    Thank you. I guess the people who want to save gas don't drive in the fog or have garages or have different size people in the passenger seat. Honda still doesn't get it.
    Some of us want the economy and also want the convenience.
This discussion has been closed.