Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, I do agree, but were all just critically looking at the pics and information we have which is limited, and were judging it. We are just constructively placing opinions on it. Thats all, though some is positive and negative, but that is whats cool about all of this, We all just hope that it ties in a bit of everything we want, so the good out weighs the bad. Someone else's bad, may be someone else's good.We are all just being really critical, and anxious to see it in person. Thats all.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    One problem with constructive criticism though... it tends to be an opinion, likely biased, and without anything constructive about it. For example, those who complain about too many buttons, which of them should Honda get rid off? These things can't be customized for an individual. The only way to go about doing the business is to find out the most intuitive ways.

And, I've already written an essay on Honda's intuitiveness when it comes to lay outs and designing something as simple as what is just a button, but it also helps to have to put the finger on one button and get the job done, instead of going thru a menu of options.

I've seen people complain about number of buttons on TL, and rightfully so. But they don't seem to understand the usefulness. With as many features as these vehicle now have, one way to reduce number of controls is to consolidate them into something like i-Drive... horrible idea unless cleaner looks is all that mattered.

In my TL, I could listen to sixth DVD-A disc in the changer by pressing just one button (clearly marker "6"), or stretch my hand to push "audio" button below the NAV and use touch screen to select "Disc 6", or just press a button on the steering wheel and say "DVD Play Disc 6".

But perhaps people prefer to take their eyes off the road for a bit, fiddle with one "do-it-all" button, and complain about a much simplified approach.

And I see the same Honda intuitiveness in the new dash. Large enough buttons, marked clearly, with notches to help determine location, and grouped together by functionality, while also being closer to the line of sight so if a person does need to look, he/she isn't looking too far down in the dash.

Oh, and whoever thought of putting ATM-like controls in Infinitis. Now, thats a good example of form over function. ATMs are designed that way to reduce visibility from people standing behind. Why should that logic be applied in cars? Yet, few seem to complain, instead like it for being different.
  • Options
    master_ryumaster_ryu Member Posts: 47
    Just curious. Who is buying the 08 Accord within one month of its release (Sept 14th??). I'm planning to. Does anybody know whether a better deal can be had at the end of the year, though. I assume it's not the case since technically it's still next year's model.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I am going to first drive both coupe and sedan, and decide. I do know that I am not going to pay extremely high for one, which I know they'll be high for awhile, but I am going to draw the line, I don't have to have the newest one. I'll attempt to make a deal, and see about it. Otherwise, I might just go and look at other cars, and wait. I would like to stay with honda though. but I really don't want to pay the dealers
    "NEW CAR" price for the accord. But,I will attempt to do a deal when the arrive!!
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Not until it goes on sale. August 21st is a media embargo date. It's mainly designed for print magazines and enthusiast sites like vtec.net.
  • Options
    Info should be available on HondaNews.com after the embargo is over, and before it gets to HondaCars.com.
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    One problem with constructive criticism though... it tends to be an opinion, likely biased, and without anything constructive about it. For example, those who complain about too many buttons, which of them should Honda get rid off? These things can't be customized for an individual. The only way to go about doing the business is to find out the most intuitive ways.

exactly! sometimes we forget that companies think long and hard about these types of things...gratned i'm sure bmw thought about the 'coolness' in i-drive, but not its usefulness. Honda would do the best they could to cater to the masses...and the constuctive part of it is out, because unless something were just totally horrible, as oppossed to, "well i think that this is what it should be like", kind of crap, honda wont be listening to us for our input.

like i said, they know what they are doing. granted i agree that some people plauge future car threads because some get off on criticizing, but honda has always gotten the short end the stick, because they have always been under immense scrutiny with everything they do.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    'i don't like the steering wheel' 'wah wah wah' 'too many buttons to process! wah wah wah'! come on!!!!

It was only my point of view. I simply noticed some things about the new interior that I don't agree with. There may be just as many changes I do agree with. No car will be exactly what I or you want. Did I say you, or anyone else had to agree with me? You get so defensive? Did you design the interior?
  • Options
    Sometimes we all miss a point or two about a design. And if someone manages to point out the reasoning (being a designer or not, we all are definitely users), its all fine.
  • Options
    ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    Couldn't disagree more too. I kept hearing

Accord affords the best compromise between ride quality and handling in its class, period.

In the spectrum of handling of ride quality, each car maker simply tried to strike a point in their suspension design where they can get most people to buy and also cost the least. However, some also need tried to find their own niche. e.g., Camry sell the most with their soft/comfort, Accord sell almost as much with their combo too, so those are probably two of the the biggest use points. But, those points are already done so well, so mazda/nissan need to land their own niche.

That said, NONE of these handling/ride points are "perfect", they are just a chosen point with a given cost. You might like one choice the most, but that only make it "preferred", not "perfect".

My experience. Toyota: comfort/quiet yet soft. Honda: firm/responsive, but more noisy. Want better on every dimention? simple, crank up the $$. If Accord is perfect, how about Porche/Lambo... etc?
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I have the best of both worlds. Honda Accord V6 w/ Goodyear assurance comfort treads. O.K. the tires don't handle, but I've got motorcycles for thrills.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Great point - easiest way to fine tune handling/ride is with tires. Just start with a good car to begin with, like the Accord ;)
  • Options
    Who says watching NASCAR is a waste? Lol. Got the idea to use tires to change ride comfort when I noticed the race car teams were changing the handling of the cars with 1 lb. increments in tire pressures.
  • Options
    mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Those tiny nubs are too small to be felt through winter gloves. Overall I love how the current Accord fits me, but they've been getting uglier the last 3 generations.

I do wish that more attention was put on fundamentals, like better brakes and tires versus ABS, VSC, etc. or ride quality versus cluttering the car with electronic features.

Maybe I'm getting old, but being old (or in the minority) doesn't make me wrong. (After all I used to own a Saab which also has wonderful ergonomics and is designed with winter driving in mind.) Like many brands, Saab's biggest problem is a weak dealer network. Mine came from a small family owned dealership that has now sold only Saab for 50 years (in Flint Michigan, home of Buick and the UAW). You don't survive that long under that hostile of environment (that has been economically depressed for most of that time) without doing lots of things right.
  • Options
    Who says watching NASCAR is a waste?

Certainly not me (#81 & #3). ;)
  • Options
    #3,#8,#20,#29. :)
  • Options
    #3,#8,#20,#29.
    Happy Harvick, yes :D . Tony Stewart, not so much :P . The #8 will probably be #81 next year. :D
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    'too many buttons to process! wah wah wah'! come on!!!!

Well it's not too many buttons to process, but my objection is that they are all crammed into one small area of the dash that looks like it's bloated like a beer belly.

I went back to the picture and counted 45 separate buttons jammed onto that panel! Look at the current Accord. It has almost as many features and buttons, but some buttons are at the bottom, some buttons are along the side of the navigation screen, etc. Good spacing means better control especially while driving.

Speaking of buttons did anyone notice the unlabeled buttons on either side of the panel that have a red dot and blue dot above and below them? Are those the seat temperature controls? Is it possible the new accord will have cooled seats??? I live in the desert, and I'm hoping the answer is yes.
  • Options
    Know what you mean about 20 but he's a heck of a driver. So long as the Busch's don't win, I'm good.
  • Options
    I just prefer a cleaner look.
  • Options
    bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    Didn't like the Avalon Touring suspension. Preferred either Camry to it. Had considered it because you can get leather and vehicle stability control without a lot of useless options.
  • Options
    mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Not that sport is inherently honorable or that auto racing is fully embraced as a sport, but hours of left hand turns in highly regulated manhines made to resemble domestic cars by former moonshine runners leaves me cold (and wondering why its being discussed here).

Reminds me of urban freeway traffic at twice the speed, but without cell phones and coffee to distract drivers.
  • Options
    NASCAR has plenty of fans right now. It doesn't need you.
  • Options
    But,then,you actually bought a Saab,right?
  • Options
    maddog11maddog11 Member Posts: 42
    I really don't mind a lot of buttons and knobs as long as they are clearly marked. I have a 2006 Accord and I get more frustrated by knobs having mutiple functions and having to go to the manual to operate things; I am very middle aged and my memory isn't what it used to be.
  • Options
    blueverineblueverine Member Posts: 5
    I used to have 1990 Acura Integra with regular Michelin tires and get 24 mpg. After 150,000 miles, I switched to Michelin MXV Energy tires. It gave me 26 mpg consistently. But handling was noticeably not as good as with the regular tires.

Now I have 2005 Accord LX 4-cyl and it has the Energy tires. I guess Honda goes for the high mpg tires to adhere to EPA mpg CAFE guidelines. But it goes against the Honda's philosophy of sporty handling.
  • Options
    EPA ratings don't take tire into account. Honda goes for expensive but longer lasting tires. I'm on fourth set of tires in my 98 Accord, and didn't consider Michelin MXV4 Energy (which were factory tires) for one being too expensive, and they don't like older "shiny" surfaces (tar or concrete).

Soft compound Yokohamas did wonders to ride and handling, but they were prone to wear and punctures. So, after going thru two sets, I'm on Bridgestone Turanza which is somewhere in between.

Speaking of tires, I was amazed at how ridiculous tires were on a Toyota Sienna rental I had couple of months ago. Hit a pot hole and heard the tire whistle. It had a gash! This was the first time I experienced anything like it.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Speaking of buttons did anyone notice the unlabeled buttons on either side of the panel that have a red dot and blue dot above and below them? Are those the seat temperature controls?

I'm sure those buttons are for the dual temp controls. The passenger can adjust the temp of the air coming out of the vents on that side.

Cooled seats would be nice though. I'd use them more than the heaters I have now in my 06 Accord.
  • Options
    fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    The TSX has 205HP. The regular TL has 258HP. The Accord V6 has 268 HP. Unless the Acura is loaded with some nice feature that most people cannot live without (like maybe satellite linked Navigation), it looks like their sales will surely take a hit. Looks like Honda is counting on selling a boatload of Accords to offset the healthier profit per vehicle they make from the Acura brand. From what i have seen so far and taking into account the bad rep Toyota is getting for its Camry's tranny, i can see the Accord easily returning to retake the throne of best selling car in the US within 2 years! This is assuming that the Accord itself does not have its own quality issues when it hits next month.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Both TL and TSX are up for a redesign though, so I'm sure Honda has something special planned for those two models, because both TSX and TL are critical to the Acura brand.
  • Options
    angelus1angelus1 Member Posts: 23
    most of nascars fans are fats who consider driving a sport.

these fats love to wear nascar clothing with their favorite brands of foods. actually i wouldnt be surprised if dale jrs next sponsor is cheetos. the next cheetos car will have a huge following in nascar.

also espn, nascar stinks so please stop shoving it down our throats by leading off sportscenter with it. for Godsakes we have preseason football and baseball pennant races.

so tuesday is the big day for the accord!!
  • Options
    most of nascars fans are fats who consider driving a sport.

Well, that's real intelligent. I bow to your greatness.

People who appreciate the "skill" of driving, know NASCAR is a sport. Get used to seeing NASCAR on ESPN (and every other sports station). It is growing in popularity.
  • Options
    fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    How can going round and round in circles through a combination on endless left turns be considered a sports??
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    So, the TSX has had less horsepower than the current Accord V6 for a long time also. They are not afraid of the 4 cylinder TSX having less power than a V6 Accord.
    The TSX is about balance, light/snappy handling, having a quick revving engine and not having the weight of 3+ liter V6 engine in the nose.
    The TL is due for redesign and will lack some features of the 2008 Accord just like it did when the 2003 Accord came out.
    No big deal or shock. This happens every time a new design comes out.
  • Options
    hubercs99hubercs99 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know what the weight is for the 2008 Accord coupe compared to the 2007? I am mostly interested in the 4 cyl. EX.
  • Options
    Just vote with your remote. Pass the Cheetos,Elroy.
  • Options
    blueverineblueverine Member Posts: 5
    According to Internet rumors, 2009 TSX is expected to have Super Handling All-Wheel Drive.

Popular Science
  • Options
    angelus1angelus1 Member Posts: 23
    sorry buddy there is no skill in driving nascar. its just 3 hrs of driving in a circle. if you want to make the 'skill' arguement in autosports then use f1 as a example, hth. or rally racing. if nascar is a skill sport than my mom should be on the cover of si as should many other soccer moms.

most of the automotive technology that is applied to modern day cars comes from f1.

however, please tell me the skills in nascar though
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    It's pretty much a given that the whole Acura lineup will have SHAWD - the "Quattrofication" of the brand. :shades:
  • Options
    Nascar also has road courses. Watkins Glen would be one. Since your facts are wrong, spare us your conclusions.
  • Options
    I would like to see him take a hot-lap with one of those no-skill drivers, and watch him crap his pants. :surprise:
  • Options
    Dunno about him,but I would LUV to drive a few laps in one of those things!
  • Options
    poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    In my humble opinion if Honda really wants to go racing, it should try WRC. Watching these races is a real high. It's almost insane what these drivers do at top speed. It certainly hasn't hurt sales of the Subie STi and Mitsu Evo.
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I agree with you angelus1. NASCAR has ruined NASCAR. Now it's just a buncha no personality PC sponsor spouting cyborgs driving cookie cutter cars with different nameplates. Stewart, thankfully, is the exception to this rule. I've followed NASCAR since the 70's, and F1 since the 80's, and any 1980 edition F1 Honda can still whup any Cup car from any year anyday. And unless it's rigged, why does GM field 25% of the cars but win 90% of the NASCAR championships? Stewart was onto something.

Trickle down technology applies even to todays modern consumer oriented cars, but it's coming from F1, not NASCAR. Dollar for dollar, Honda's are still better equipped and longer lasting than their American nameplate counterparts. That's why we're talking about Honda's here, and I don't see any comparison to a Fusion, Charger, or Impala/Monte Carlo. Last but not least, let's not forget that a Japanese company has the only American manufactured car running in NASCAR. Everything else is imported.

Today, being a perfect example, the fair weather 'skilled' NASCAR drivers can't run in the rain. But F1 Honda's will still be running in a typhoon.
  • Options
    dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    No doubt. Let's see, running at 180mph with the car in front only inches away, the car behind only inches away, and in some cases cars on both sides only a couple feet away = yea, no skill whatsoever.
    Glad the lifting of the embargo on Accord info is only hours away!
  • Options
    Thanks for your minority opinion. Viewers vote with their remote and they are not watching any auto racing as much as NASCAR. So what don't you get?
  • Options
    Contrary to your raving, someone can drive a Honda, and watch NASCAR. :confuse: I don't watch it for the cars, I watch it for the racing. Tony Stewart and Juan Pablo Montoya do get it, that's why they are both in NASCAR now (with many more F1 and Indy car drivers to follow). Now, bring on the specs for the new Accord!
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    While I can't bring myself to watch any kind of car racing (way too boring) I will say that they all require skill.

Not much longer - how about some early leaks. I am really curious about the weight and interior space. If the Accord is 106 cubic ft and the Civic is 91, then that is a huge gap. They really need to bump the civic up to about 97 and have the Fit take the Civics place. Or they could introduce something in between.
  • Options
    I was thinking about that. Perhaps Honda considers it a niche market, and also wanted to give Accord an advantage over CR-V which is about what a midsize car could be (space wise), as well as put Nissan and Toyota in a dilemma, offering more space than both, while they are boxed out with larger sedans themselves (Maxima and Avalon).

And the small-ish midsize niche might be served by next TSX.
  • Options
    I think the weight is + 150.
This discussion has been closed.