Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• xkiddx13xkiddx13 Member Posts: 122
    Imust agree with your statement, and add that american car companys dont try as hard because they feel they dont have to, they think flying the red, white , and blue, made in usa logo, will keep them alive, but there forgetting that it's not about nationalizim anymore it a global market most dont care where there toothpaste comes from, or there car, as long as they can get good features and benifits out of the product they buy, as well as great customer service. so when these car makers start giving me better features and benifits, like good pricing and good service then i will go back to american cars. (which i used to only buy, up untill lately)...
  • sarge5sarge5 Member Posts: 8
    My worry at that point was a rust problem that was creeping in along the bottom of the rear doors. The wreck ended all worries about repairs. You'll have to enlighten me as the costs of those repairs. I just know how much my dad paid on rear axle repairs in the years he had his 91 Silverado, and it didn't have high miles. Having a vehicle leave you (or worse the wife and kids) stranded gets old quick. It also doesn't help sway her in buying that brand again. My mom is dead set against Chevy trucks, no matter what anyone tells her.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    >dont try as hard because they feel they dont have to, they think flying the red, white , and blue

That's a related factor to the problem. Also a factor on the part of the UAW and other unions involved in production of vehicles (IEW?). Dealers also weren't supported well until into the 90s on giving good better service. I go back to my dealer because the dealer gives quality, honest service. They also give info that I use to decide to have something done or not or do it myself. If I choose to have a dealer do it, I go to them with no complaints on price.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I've gotten good quality for what I chose. I'm smart enough to choose based on what will give me good service. I've had an 87 Century, 89 Century, 93 LeSabre, 98 LeSabre, 03 LeSabre. And had little expense to maintain them other than the usual cost of owning.

>Yes, just be blind to years of reliability

If you want bases of past record, I can arrange to get Enron stock and Worldcom stock for you. They have years of good records and desirability. Is that what you're trying to say?

>hopeless GM devotee

See first paragraph.

I got one thing to say on the matter where the money goes, right into my pocket, i work for a honda dealer ship so every honda sold makes me able to pay my bills, and i dont care how or where the car is put together, as long as mine runs well and i can pay my rent.
    "If the majority of money goes and ends up in Japan creating more jobs and business there, how does that benefit you or me and the rest of America"

umm i live in america, and i have a job thanx to honda.. hmm wow i guess i should quit and become jobless and homeless, just cause they dont create jobs for americans right... hmmmm wow..
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    MAJORITY of the money...
    Main Entry: ma·jor·i·ty
    Pronunciation: m&-'jor-&-tE, -'jär-
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
    1 obsolete : the quality or state of being greater
    2 a : the age at which full civil rights are accorded b : the status of one who has attained this age
    3 a : a number greater than half of a total b : the excess of a majority over the remainder of the total : MARGIN c : the preponderant quantity or share
    4 : the group or political party whose votes preponderate
    5 : the military office, rank, or commission of a major
    - majority adjective

If only these angloamericano's could read the good Kings English..... ;)
    Bring us the proof the parts are "MADE IN AMERICA", because few Japanese engines are actually forged/built here and the major drive train has always been Japanese. They may be assembled in the US from what is shipped over, but the parts are still made in Japan....
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    This is false. Again saying it over and over again is not going to change the fact that Toyota has two engine factories in WV and AL already - at full capacity, a third going into the San Antonio plant and a 4th up for bidding which Mich wants badly. Read the news instead of just blindly repeating yourself.

Facts are your friend. Pls dont ignore them.
    Get us the facts then, give us the Toyota links so I don't have to say you are wrong (I want to see them pouring a block or something comparable) not just "assembling" Japanese shipped engine blocks, the Honda engines/trannys have always been Japanese parts.
    Tick Tock Tick Tock...........I guess I'm gonna have to waaaaiiiiit a long time............ :shades:
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...pretty soon ALL automakers are going to be in bad shape because unemployed and underemployed people don't buy new cars! I guess there will still be a burgeoning market for high-end exotics to sell to greedy CEOs who profitted off the misery of everybody else.

"Nice Camry, Toyota dealer! But I can't even afford a ten year-old Kia on my Wal-Mart pay!"
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...because few Japanese engines are actually forged/built here and the major drive train has always been Japanese."

Proof of this statement? I suppose the Honda engine plant in Ohio is simply a massive plywood cutout hiding a giant empty field? BTW - this is the largest Honda engine facility IN THE WORLD. IN OTHER WORDS, they build more engines in this plant than they do in Japan. They also build engines at their plant in Alabama and have a separate transmission plant in Ohio and a new transmission plant announced for Georgia.

All ANYONE in here knows is what is listed as the % of domestic PARTS content on the vehicle label. If you have evidence that Honda/Toyota is 'cheating' to boost the domestic content on that label, I'm sure the government would love to see it. But according to Honda's corporate website, they use parts and materials from nearly 600 different U.S. suppliers.

http://corporate.honda.com/america/overview.aspx

BTW - I'm still trying to find an on-line source listing % of domestic content for vehicles sold in the U.S. Any ideas?
    Nice link to a Auto plant built in 2000 in Alabama in the History time line, is that all you got??......
    "...pretty soon ALL automakers are going to be in bad shape because unemployed and underemployed people don't buy new cars!"

Then how do you explain the fact that the U.S Manufacturing sector has been growing since June of '03? And how do you explain the fact that the U.S. manufacturing sector grew at a faster rate in December, and for the entire year, than originally forecast?

http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=economicNews&storyID- =2006-01-25T160930Z_01_N25342684_RTRIDST_0_ECONOMY-MANUFACTURING-ISM-UPDATE-1.XM- L
    You are making assertions that the U.S. engine plants only ASSEMBLE parts brought in from Japan. In the link I provided, it states that Honda uses parts and materials from nearly 600 different U.S. (that would be American) suppliers.

I've attempted to provide proof that Honda uses parts manufactured (not just assembled) here in the U.S.

You've made assertions that the engine plants only ASSEMBLE parts shipped over from Japan. Could you even ATTEMPT to provide proof of your assertion? Or are you the Townhall Oracle who's statements should always just be accepted as facts with no outside proof necessary?
    Just show me a "AMERCAN BUILT" toyota engine block and I will detail your car/take your daughter out/walk your dog...insert your desire, just get that one little link........ :)
    "Just show me a "AMERCAN BUILT" toyota engine block and I will detail your car/take your daughter out/walk your dog...insert your desire, just get that one little link........"

SWEEEEEET!!!!!

You ARE aware that TRD (Toyota Racing Development) builds engines (including casting the blocks) for their efforts in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck series as well as their upcoming NASCAR Nextel Cup series cars here in America.....and I'm fairly certain the parts for these motors DON'T come from Japan... :P

And you're not taking either of my daughters out, you dirty old man.....they're only 4 and 6 years old... :surprise:
    Very good, I'll give you that one for lets say 12 engine blocks and I guess I end up walking the dog....... :cry:
    Toyota engine blocks cast in the U.S.?

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/manufacturing/2005/11/09-1-bodine.html

Bodine Aluminum Inc. (Jacksonville, TN) casts engine blocks for the Camry and Avalon (annual capacity: 1 million blocks).

Is that more than 12?
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    Just for starters: Accord 70% American, 15% Japan
    Odyssey 70% American, 20% Japan
    CRV 5% American, 75?% Japan
    I've said this before. Honda has 600 suppliers in North American, employs 12,700 associates in Ohio alone, exports 22,568 vehicles to 41 countries, paid $23.6 million in personal and real estate taxes in 2004, donated $2.l million in United Way contributions.

Sorry I don't have the stats on all of the others. Maybe someone out there can contribute. :D
    sooo sorry, im irish american...
    Excellent, good for starters, now I have to investigate buying that Ford Mustang or going with another Accord....
    don't know where you live, but here in cali, there were 32 NEW cars sold already at my dealership, THIS MORNING, and that is a slow day.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Methinks reddogs is a student in a S. Fla university and he's trying to get others to do research for his business study paper. ;)
    DONT FORGET THE '06 CIVIC, 15% JAPANESE 80% AMERICAN/CANADIAN..
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    good pull, rorr. Too bad reddogs will probably ignore it, like he has so far. However, its good info for those actually taking part in a rational discussion in the quest to educate themselves, so I'll add to it:

http://world.honda.com/news/2004/c041109_b.html

and I quote:
    The plan also includes significant investments to add production of high precision gears at a Honda transmission plant in Ohio, and key engine components at a Honda engine facility in Alabama.

and
    In Alabama, HMA will invest US$ 70 million and add 100 new jobs to begin machining additional engine components at its existing engine plant operations.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

i'm white trash and i drive a 2002 honda accord v6 ex coupe. so that might not be all true...
    World News > News Release

AutomobileJanuary 8, 2006

Honda Sweeps 'North American Car and Truck of the Year' Awards
    2006 Honda Civic and 2006 Honda Ridgeline Take the Top Honors
    Watch The Video

DETROIT, U.S.A., January 8, 2006 – The 2006 Honda Civic and Honda Ridgeline have earned the prestigious 2006 "North American Car of the Year" and "North American Truck of the Year" awards respectively, American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced. This marks the first time ever that a single brand has won both awards in the same year, and it marks Honda's first win in either category.

Honda Ridgeline

Honda Civic

The North American Car of the Year and Truck of the Year Awards are given by a group of 49 international automotive journalists. The awards are unique because instead of being given by a single publication, radio or television station they are given by automotive journalists from the United States and Canada. Presented each year at the opening of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, they recognize the most outstanding car and truck of the year based on factors including innovation, design, safety, handling, driver satisfaction and value for the dollar. "We set out to have the Civic and Ridgeline become benchmarks in their respective segments, and having them chosen as North American Car and Truck of the Year certainly validates that effort," said John Mendel, senior vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "We couldn't be more pleased with the reaction to both vehicles. This will be great news to the Honda associates in North America who build them."

http://world.honda.com/news/2006/4060108COTYTOTY/
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's stop the sniping and personal comments about each other now please.
    Well I will admit GM does get good ratings for the Buick line, and I have no problems w/ that. I wish I could say the same for the full-size trucks. I don't know the reliability ratings on Ford and Dodge, and I'd be interested in hearing from people who own them. I think the 04-05 F-150 is a good-looking truck and drives well, but at present, I can't justify owning a full-size truck when a compact will do. Cost of gas is a concern these days. I also know plenty of people that have had costly repairs for Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, my father-in-law included.
    I notice the Bodine engine block is a "Toyota subsidiary." Helps make my point about connected companies to handle the billings and move the monies around.

I don't understand the truck problems. Their transmissions sound almost as bad as the Hondas'. I believe the tales after talking to a neighbor who has a pickemuptruck.

Which Honda models are you referring to? I own a 95 Accord an I haven't had any transmission problems. It sits at 144K for miles and does fine for me. As for the GM vehicles, I owned an 88 K5 blazer and a 96 Tahoe. I replaced the trans, transfer case and rear end on the Blazer. The Tahoe only needed the trans replaced, but that was still expensive and it happened while the wife and kids were out driving, so that wasn't a pleasant experience. I guess most people base their ideas on their own experiences and those of people they know. If I were in the market for a full-size truck, I like the F-250 better than any, but I don't have $40,000 to spend on a truck. I haven't heard any bad stories about Ford's trucks, so far.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Hmm, you don't have to look very far to find GM trans problems popping up.

Just look at the Impala board where the SS & GXP guys are discussing trans failures.
    "I notice the Bodine engine block is a "Toyota subsidiary." Helps make my point about connected companies to handle the billings and move the monies around."

I'm not quite sure I understand your point. According to the website for Bodine Aluminum, they had 2 main plants: one in St. Louis which makes aluminum castings for hydraulic & pneumatic components, electrical equipment, diesel engine components, agricultural equipment, pumps, compressors, etc. etc. etc. and a different plant in Troy, MO which was dedicated to parts production for Toyota.

In other words, Bodine Aluminum was a going concern (and probably a supplier in VERY good standing with Toyota) before they became a Toyota subsidiary in 1990.

http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/manufacturing/bodine/

http://www.bodinealuminum.com/

All I'm trying to point out is that Toyota doesn't just ship a bunch of parts over from Japan for assembly to a bunch of line workers at their engine plants in the U.S. They use domestic parts from AMERICAN suppliers in their cars, INCLUDING the engine blocks, heads, manifolds, etc.

Want a different twist? How about Toyota suppliers here IN AMERICA who supply products NOT JUST for the American market but also supply parts for EXPORT to plants in Japan?

TABC, Inc., employing 550 people builds (amoung many other items) catalytic converters for the American market but also exported to Canada and Japan.

http://www.toyotasupplier.com/about/tabc.asp
  • ardnaleeardnalee Member Posts: 2
    This is the message that answers the question!
    THE 2006 HONDA CIVIC, 4DR, LX
    MADE BY 70% AMERICAN/CANADIAN PARTS
    15% JAPANESE
    ENGINE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN, AMERICA.
    TRANSMISSION, JAPAN
    FINAL ASSEMBLY WAS IN ONTARIO, CANADA.
    The Civic GX is derived from the Civic LX sedan and is powered by a 1.8-liter, four-cylinder engine. It will be assembled at Honda's plant in East Liberty, Ohio.
  • gteegtee Member Posts: 179
    Its funny how the UAW boyz on this thread complain about Japanies companies while watching Ford and GM use the same Foreign made parts on their products.

The last time I checked every Ford 4.0L engine which is used on Explorer and Mustang was made in Germany, and every 5-speed automatic transmission used on Explorer and Mustang was made in France. I also seem to recall that every 5-speed manual used in F150 was made in Japan by Mazda and every 6-speed automatic used in Fusion and 500 was made by Toyota in Japan. Ford also buys 6-speed automatic transmissions used on Navigator from ZF which is a German company.

Lets not forget that the 2.3L 4 cylinder engine used in Focus and Fusion was developed by Mazda not Ford. Lets also not forget that the Fusion itself is based on Mazda 6 and that Ford 500 and Freestyle are both based on Volvo S80. Where do you think most of original engineering for all of these products was made? Not America that is for sure.

Who are we kidding here? How does any of this help our economy? Look there is not a single 'large' British owned car company in England. Does it really matter to the British? Did British economy collapse when Rover went out of buissnes. For sure not.

What about the inefficiency that UAW bring to making cars. Look here is an article about the layoff benefits that UAW members will receive from UAW after GM's and Ford's Layoffs:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060124/OPINION03/601240423/1- 148/AUTO01

Basically the worst that an UAW member will have is 95% of his pay until he finds a new job in maybe 10 years. Read the article and see for your self.

And Now I Ask You: Where else do you get a job like this in America? Not even the government provides 95% of your pay until you retire, and then you go in retirement. Nice Job If You Can Get It. And where do you think all of this money comes from? Yes the American Car Buying Public. Well it does not have to. All we have to do is stop buying UAW made cars.
    I didn't find a part about 10 years of 95% pay. Did I miss it?I hadn't heard about the 1 years severance possible along with all the benefits and full health insurance paid for a year or more?

• bmarabmara Member Posts: 3
    Detroit never gives you a complete package its always half baked. Example Chevy trying to get back into the small car market. They come out with the Cobalt it is a big improvement over the Caviler. They keep the same engine that the Caviler had. If they wanted to make a real splash with the Cobalt, they should have given its base engine variable valve timing and c vt transmission to give it better mpg. To compete with the foreign cars. I still don't understand why the base Malibu with same base engine gets better mpg then the Cobalt. When will Chevy get it that you need more than just a cosmetic change to make a true world class car.
    The Ford Focus needs to be updated. It is losing its edge. It needs to get better mpg then it gets now. It needs better engine variable valve timing and c vt
    transmission.
    Then you have Dodge replacing the Neon with the Caliber. It's mpg is in the cellar also from what I have seen. They do not have a true economy car.
    With the price of gas going up and more people turning to more fuel effecient cars. Detroit is giving us all half baked products. The foriegn car are meeting are needs better than the big three. In a nut shell Detroit need to get bold and inovative. They need to become leaders in auto industry and not followers.This important American industry needs to come clean and give us better cars. They need to do this now or are children will know them only in history books. Does any one remember the Vega or the Pinto it is funny how history can repeat itself.
  • gteegtee Member Posts: 179
    I didn't find a part about 10 years of 95% pay. Did I miss it?

"Union members: After your unemployment benefits end at 26 weeks, your sup pay will continue to make up 95 percent of your normal take-home pay. When your sup pay reaches the 48-week total under the term of the contract, you must either be called back to work or put in the Guaranteed Employment Number pool. The GEN pool is just like the jobs bank at General Motors, where idled workers get guaranteed pay and benefits." From Detroit News

After 1 year of unemployment idled Ford and GM union workers go into "Guaranteed Employment Number pool. They continue to receive 95% pay as well as health benefits. I am not making this up. Its right there in Black and White.

I can understand that UAW made a killer contract with Ford and GM and now they have great benefits. But UAW workers have to understand that all of the money for your benefits comes from American Car consumers. They spend the money to support your overly generous contracts. American Car consumers can also decide not to support this anymore by simply buying cars not made with UAW workers.
  • socala4socala4 Member Posts: 2,427
    I can understand that UAW made a killer contract with Ford and GM and now they have great benefits. But UAW workers have to understand that all of the money for your benefits comes from American Car consumers. They spend the money to support your overly generous contracts.

I'm obviously critical of the Big 2.5, but I really don't see the need to point fingers at the workers.

The problems at Ford and GM ultimately stem from the fact that, for the most, they make relatively undesirable cars with a largely well-deserved reputation for poor reliability. These problems are rooted in bad designs, poor product differentiation and mediocre engineering.

You could fire everyone in the UAW tomorrow, or build every Cobalt in a Mexican factory next week, and the Cobalt would still be (and deserve to be) toward the bottom of Consumer Report's list of small cars. Since when does a union make a yea-or-nay decision to launch any car in the lineup?

The UAW has proven that it is capable of working well in certain plants, such as Spring Hill and Oshawa. And now GM is going to shut those plants down, when they are among their best performers, while keeping others open that don't perform nearly as well. Why you aren't holding the management responsible for the bad designs and lack of vision, I can't understand.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Since when does a union make a yea-or-nay decision to launch any car in the lineup?

Not that I know what I’m talking about but…

If the union “forces” a contract that costs 2K extra for each Cobalt, then GM will be forced to cut 2K worth of engineering from each Cobalt. Of course I made up all these numbers.

Even with unbelievable union contracts…If you look at the sale price (Cobalt, Taurus) they are usually a couple thousand less than the Japanese competition…I’ve often thought…if only Ford had spent an extra 2-4K on the Taurus instead of having a blue light special…maybe the car may have turned out better. 2-4K can go a long way.
    I miss the part about Guaranteen Employment Number pool saying anything about 10 years. I am in full awe that anyone has 2.5 years (Ford Batavia) to be paid and 10 years is even worse. How can a company be flexible with those loads and with healthcare and retirement that the big 3 were dumb enough to promise along with stupid salaries for buddies at the top.

>cut 2K worth of engineering

Jackpot point. That includes healthcare costs and retirement costs since they don't have a young workforce with relatively few health and retirement expenses. They also don't have a hire for pay situation so they can boot problem workers and nonproblem workers if they want them out just because, well... because they are getting older and going to become an expense like the Big 2 and German .5 have become.

• socala4socala4 Member Posts: 2,427
    If the union forces a contract that costs 2K extra for each Cobalt, then GM will be forced to cut 2K worth of engineering from each Cobalt.

That's a strawman argument. For one, let's look at the use of this $2k figure, which surely you got from GM's own PR department. This stat is being offered to you in a vacuum, with no sense of what every other automakers' costs happen to be. If it turned out that Honda's costs were $1,500 per car, for example, wouldn't that $2k be less meaningful? (By the way, I don't know what Honda's costs are, but we can be sure that these for its US workforce are not $0 -- the difference in the amounts is likely nowhere close to $2,000 per car.)

For another, you have no reason to believe that GM would actually spend more on R&D than they do now, if it didn't have these health care costs. They have had such overhead for quite some time, but these expenses haven't prevented it from:

-Having enough net worth to buy up losing "foreign" nameplates such as Saab

-Getting more heavily invested into the gas guzzler market just as it was peaking, i.e. acquiring Hummer

-Using unionized labor abroad to build competitive Opel/Vauxhall small cars for the European market that are not sold in the US

-Getting involved in a deal with Fiat from which it would eventually have to extricate itself by paying over $1.5 billion.

GM's problems are numerous and are largely based upon poor products that don't serve the need of many US consumers, and whose relevance declines years after year. Have a look across its various lineups, and consider the costs related to the extensive overlap and redundancies both across brands (i.e. the minimal differences between Chevrolet and Pontiac) and within their lines (i.e. numerous SUV's with minimal differentiation and questionable market need). Then compare that to other, more successful makers such as Honda and Toyota that have fewer models to market, service and promote.

GM could probably have a higher likelihood of returning to profitability just by cutting out some models entirely, and by consolidating the various brands so that they don't effectively compete with and cannibalize the other. (Is having numerous similar mid- and large-sized sedans and coupes from Pontiac, Chevy and Buick with nameplates of old really helping?)

Excluding its outside acquisitions such as Saab and its limited sale of US-models, GM operates in Europe largely under one marque (Opel/ Vauxhall), and might be wise to adopt a similar approach here. Much more productive than complaining about health care costs that they agreed to pay a long time ago and are obliged to fulfill.

It might also consider selling off some of these brands to other firms. Not sure if they'd be interested in acquiring it, but I would bet that a firm such as Volkswagen could do more to use this car as a way to round out its lineup than can GM.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    ya think gm/ford will plow whatever savings they have back into R&D to make better cars?

Dream on!
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...is where Ford needs to put its money. Lincoln is fast becoming irrelevant in the face of foreign competition and Cadillac's amazing rennaisance. Please! No more gussied-up F-150s with Lincoln grilles! I'd love to see a Town Car similar to the classic 1961-65 Continentals - suicide doors and all! How about an SVT LS?