Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I think there will be a basic level ( like the LE ) at about $27K with a few options like a sunroof; then a dressed up level ( like the XLE ) with leather, sunroof, navi, etc which may come in around $32500.

If you the 'premium over...' process then you have calculate it as the 'premium over the 4c LE' which lists for $21350.. which comes back to ~ $27000 for the standard version TCH.
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    You're wrong in your thoughts but you are entitled to them.

Read the options list for the Hybrid!!!

Read the features of the Hybrid!!!
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    has anyone done a study on the time it will take to recoup it's cost, over the cheaper, 4-cyl gas model (XLE)?

DrFill
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,227
    has anyone done a study on the time it will take to recoup it's cost, over the cheaper, 4-cyl gas model (XLE)?

Some posters think that is an unfair comparison. I think it is the obvious one. If the TCH wanders up into the $27k- $30k range is there any reason to buy one?

I can buy the XLE 4C with leather and moonroof for under $23k. What will the equally equipped TCH cost? And it is SULEV II with a 9.5 CA EPA rating. Same as the Prius.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    It's too early to know how long it will take to reach payback, if ever, when buying the TCH.

1. What will the actual OTD price differential be? We won't know until the model goes on sale. So far, hybrids typically sell at full sticker and above; non-hybrids rarely do.

2. Will buyers be able to get the full tax credit? Early buyers might; later buyers likely won't.

3. What will the price of gas be over the period to be compared? Payback at $3+ will be much quicker then if gas settles around $2.

4. Just what do those replacement batteries cost? No one seems to know for sure. If it's $3,000 at 100k, that's 3 cents per mile, which alone eliminates the gas savings.

The general consensus is that one ought not by a hybrid expecting to recoup the costs. Other considerations need to matter more.
    Well I havent been wrong on the pricing on any of the new trim levels yet -within a few hundred dollars ( posts beginning back in Dec )- so I will stay with $27K-ish and $31K-ish.

But I'd be interested in your specific view of where the prices will fall.

I have the options at hand and show them to customers frequently. I'm comfortable with these two price levels.
    Stirring the waters to generate posts are we Doc? Actually since the TCH has V6 power and better FE the correct comparo should be with the ICE V6 + EJ... lets see where that leads us.

XLE 4c lists for ~$25060 ( No VSC/Trac ) or about $25700 with VSC/Trac.

IMO the base trim TCH will come in about $1000 higher or about $26700 with VDIM standard but also with SKS and 190 hp. So is 'payback' even a consideration. Buyers normally pay $2000 additional for V6 power over 4c power all the time and they lose fuel economy on every mile they drive in doing so.
    That's how much I said yesterday about 8 posts ago.
    Well I guess we are in agreement then since mine #263 said $27K and 32.5K ... although your #264 said I was wrong for some reason.

I guess it was a misunderstanding..
    My only problem with your post was the basic level and the dressed up level comment.

According to the brochure, there is just one hybrid model and options to that one model.

$27K with no options, $30k with leather, heated seats and moonroof, and $31.2k adding NAV.

So we're close!!!!!!!!!
  • Although the TCH will cost what it costs, here are prices fresh off the Toyota vehicle seach for a V6 XLE with all options, including leather, navigation, and moonroof:

Model: XLE V6 Sedan (6 Speed Automatic)
    Model Year: 2007
    Transmission: 6 Speed Automatic
    VIN: XXXXXXXXXXX13H470
    Color: Magnetic Gray
    Interior: Bisque Leather
    Available: 04/05/06
    Dealer Name: Phillips Toyota
    Dealer Phone: 352-728-2030

Base:
    $27,520
    Options:
    $2,530
    Manuf. Delv, Proc & Hndlg:
    $635

Total:
    $30,685

Options broken down:
    Fuel Surcharge:
    $23
    Navigation w/ JBL Premium Audio 4-Disc-NVAT:
    $1,200
    Smart Key System w/ Push Button Start-SKAT:
    $450
    Carpet Mats and Trunk Mats-PV50:
    $199
    Rear Lip Spoiler-CX10:
    $399
    Window Tint-TW50:
    $259

So I can't think a loaded Hybrid could cost more than this! What do y'all think?
    Yes, it can be priced higher.

Why? Because they can!!!!

Compare Hybrid to Hybrid!!

A similar equipped Prius is $29,195 and an Accord Hybrid is $33,540.

Expect $31-32k with less than $1k max. off MSRP.

Supply and Demand Rule!!!!!
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,251
    Supply and Demand rules! You bet. Unfortunately the supply and demand rules for the upcoming hybrid Camry may resemble the rules of the hybrid Accord/hybrid Highlander more closely than the Prius. The success of the Prius is because it is a one of a kind car that is distinct from non-hybrids. That certainly does not apply to the hybrid versions of Camry, Accord or the Highlander.

A hybrid Camry priced in the 30k range will share the same fate as a hybrid Accord: A low volume lacklustre seller. People will flock instead to the fuel efficeint low priced i4 Camry instead.
    Toyota knows that and that is why the Hybrid supply will be limited!!!!!!!!
  • jeez, okay okay!!
    But check this out - my neighbor down the road just purchased a new Prius, but didn't go to the closest Toyota dealership (name not mentioned in this post) because the closest wanted to add an extra few $K on top of the MSRP.

After my neighbor did some research he found a different dealer a bit farther away who has a policy of NOT adding to the MSRP for hybrids. He told me the story so I'm avoiding my local dealer like the plague.

So my point is, I'll be paying MSRP (but not less) because of the particular dealer I'm working with. But just to be sure, I'm on a waiting list, and I put $1000 down. So I'm pretty certain that I'll be paying around what I posted previously for the V6XLE. If you can poke any holes in my logic then go for it.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,251
    Limited supply is not consistent with Toyota's ambitious hybrid goals? Every Toyota press release so far indicates that they want hybrids to be anything but low volume niche vehicles.

Based on Toyota's experience with the hybrid highlander, I think Toyota is going to sacrifice some margins in order to make the hybrid Camry a sales success. Limited supply is a wonderful concept when you are located in Marenello Italy manufacturing Ferraris, but certainly not in Toyota City Japan.
    I think you will have two options. For the typical V6 Toyota buyer you can get one in the $27K range. Loaded up like the one above leather, navi, etc. it will likely be in the $32K. The choice is the buyer's. The problem with the HH and the HAH is that there is no choice and this is the killer.

I will guess that the cloth version outsells the leather version 3/1.

This is just a different trim level in the Camry line. It's not a stand alone vehicle like the Prius. initial production is about 4000 units a month ( from Japan ) then 4000 a month from KY. At full production it's 5 units per store on average. I can see 4 cloth versions and 1 leather version typically being sold.
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,227
    Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 9:21 AM
    Daniel Howes
    Wake me up, please
    Just spent a few days driving a prototype of the all-new Toyota Camry hybrid, a lime green one my 14-year-old couldn't stop dissing. Neither could I if the object of my derision was to tell anyone who cares just how positively dull the whole experience was. Oh, I get the potential importance of hybrids -- how they're becoming an important part of the fleet, how they're one response to the rising price of oil, how Toyota and Honda have won the early rounds of this bout, how Detroit is only now getting in the ring. But, Lord, the behind-the-wheel experience of these things (unlike a clean Euro-diesel) is downright sleepy. This is slow writ large; there's a top-heavy, even wobbly, feeling going around corners. My guess is the production models will feel tighter. Don't know there's much they can do about the sluggishness --

http://info.detnews.com/autosblog/index.cfm
  • mary99mary99 Posts: 65
    I'm hoping his Detroit News affiliation means he's biased. Then again, I like dull in a car. If I wanted exciting Camry wouldn't be in the running.

I just drove a 4-cyl 2007 XLE and LOVED it. I am ready to order a hybrid now. I drove it right after driving an Accord Hybrid and it was hands down better in most respects, for my purposes. My husband, who also drove both, gave it 'clear winner' status, too.

FINALLY, the salesman seemed mostly knowledgeable. He said he could contract with me for the TCH now at about the price (MSRP) of a 6-cyl XLE and that they will definately have the first ones in mid-May. In this market, Priuses are selling over MSRP, I believe, so it sounded fair to me.

You experts- He thought the TCH would have the pass-through thing to the trunk. I thought it had the fold-down seats. Do you know?
    60/40 fold-down.

Can't anybody read the specs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how useful it will be with the batteries taking up 1/3 of the front of the trunk.

Salesman don't know a thing.