Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• kc_rustykc_rusty Member Posts: 32
    Sorry but there was no part number on the paper work - I bought it from the price automotive group on ebay. :(
  • lvwlvw Member Posts: 14
    Just an FYI for those who haven't investigated yet, these are not the manuals for the hybrid. Good source of info for the other models, though!
  • candyapplecandyapple Member Posts: 3
    My thanks to those who responded to my initial post on this thread.

I will continue to keep my tire pressure higher than the Michelin recommended 32PSI but below the 44PSI Max printed on the sidewall of the tires. I will monitor the tread wear. (I think what the dealer meant was that the Hybrid weighs more than any of the other 2007 Camry models.

I will check to see if there are any spots that need a paint touch up before applying the first coat of "Finish First." polymer polish. I have checked that product and it is formulated for use on clear coat finishes. It came to my attention because it was recommended by several members of another board I subscribe to. I appreciate the ease of application.

Again, my thanks for the advice.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We're moving away from these large, everything in one pile discussions and towards smaller, more narrowly focused topics. I've just moved a lot of posting from here to various new discussions, including:
    Camry Hybrid Audio & Entertainment Questions
    Toyota Camry Hybrid Test Drive - What Did You Think?
    New Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report
    Toyota Camry Hybrid Battery Pack Questions
    Camry Hybrid: Where Do I Find Good Service?
    Toyota Camry Hybrid Accessories & Modifications
    Toyota Camry Hybrid Audio & Entertainment Questions
    Camry Hybrid: Bluetooth/Phone Issues
    Camry Hybrid Audio & Entertainment Questions
    Toyota Camry Hybrid: Rattles, Bumps & Squeaks
    Toyota Camry Hybrid: Navigation System Questions

Before you post, please remember to check the topic list for the appropriate discussion. If you don't see a discussion that fits, please feel free to start one up or contact me with the suggestion.

Eventually, these large monsters will be archived once we have the "smaller subject" discussions lined up.
    We appreciate your understanding and assistance as we slide the furniture around a bit! ;)
  • psepse Member Posts: 14
    Not sure where to post this question, so perhaps you'll know. I just bought a TCH and noticed in the manual (pg 38)that it makes mention of an ability to have the smart key recall the position of the driver's seat and outside rear view mirrors. It does not go into any detail on how to make this function work. Is it supposed to function like a memory position for the seat like in say an Avalon or am I reading it wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • kc_rustykc_rusty Member Posts: 32
    As I recall reading this in the manual also, I believe it states the positioning you mentioned can be disabled on the smart key - however this is not, sad to say, a feature of the smart key system on the Camry. Maybe the Avalon ? I chalk it up to poor proofreading of the owners manual :(
    I wish it was true also
  • psepse Member Posts: 14
    Oh well. Thanks for the quick response.
  • fredo48fredo48 Member Posts: 11
    I ordered touch up paint for my TCH Blue Ribbon Metallic. The paint I received is described as Pebblebeach and the color (of the container) is steel blue (perhaps it's supposed to be). Anyone know the part number OR is there anyone who has ordered the touch up paint who might be able to describe the container color, etc. The dealer told me this is correct (what I received) but I don't want to use it until I am sure (as I would return it if incorrect). Other touch up paint that I have used in the past (domestic vehicles) has always matched the container (dispenser) color which is the color of the vehicle. Thanks, Fred
  • patflapatfla Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

Was wondering if anyone else had noticed this (searched the whole conf and didn't get any hits on 'carchip').

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000999.php

Sounds pretty cool to me - but then I'm a programmer.

I just checked my TCH - yes OBDII is pretty much right there where you'd expect to be (under the dash, slightly to the right of the steering wheel).

Among the default data saved,yes, hard accelerations and stops would be quite useful to know. And among the options I think one of the first I'd pick and look at would be throttle position (with cruise control on and off).

pat
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    Word of caution : The OBDII connector is a gateway the car's emissions controls and is mandated by law (since 1996). Unfortunately there are many protocols.

The Camry uses the latest and most powerful protocol, called "CAN". Only recent versions of CarChip and others are compatible.

I had been using a PC-interface called Autotap with my previous cars, but it does not work at all anymore since installing the latest CAN-compliant firmware revision. (Even though the manufacturer says it should)
  • lesgaslesgas Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if Geico offers a discount for the TCH? I tried asking a CSR but she did not know.
  • patflapatfla Member Posts: 14
    Thanx.

I'll check with the CarChip manufacturer to see if they're 'CAN-compliant'. As it were.

pat
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Don't know about Geico but AARP does not have the TCH in their books yet. They were willing to write me a policy, but no guarentees if it would go up or down. I stayed with nationwide for now as my rates went down from my previous car. They too though probably didn't have it on their books yet.

While the cost to replace components may be more, it would appear to me that you have a "safer" type of driver purchasing the TCH and the TCH is loaded with standard safety features. I'm sure this all will be taken into consideration. (yeah right)
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    TCH is not yet on the radar with most insurance companies. Geico is pretty expensive insurance. About the only thing they have going is lower overhead costs because you have to contact them directly; no middle man. The are a lot of very good insurance companies that are less expensive: Liberty Mutual, USAA, AARP, etc.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • chiasterchiaster Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am changing my TCH for the first time as well. Can you tell me where the oil filter is. I am having a hard time locating it.
  • inincubusinincubus Member Posts: 11
    I ordered camry hybrid with NAV. bty i haven't actually seen the trunk in person. but from what i can see from the pictures,

I questioned myself.
    1. Do both back seats fold down???
    2. will 2 snowboards fit in the trunk when I fold down both of the back seats.
    3. will, at least, 1 snowboard fit through the one seat that will fold down (if only one of the back seats can be folded)

Can someone please answer my questions?
    I'm canceling the order if there's no way to carry my snowboards.
    I questioned myself.
    1. Do both back seats fold down???
    2. will 2 snowboards fit in the trunk when I fold down both of the back seats.
    3. will, at least, 1 snowboard fit through the one seat that will fold down (if only one of the back seats can be folded)

Both seats fold down but there is only one small pass through on the left rear seat.

Someone will need to know the size of your snowboards to tell you if they will fit.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    I would be surprised if a snow board wouldn't fit, but not sure about two, and not sure how the binding impacts this.

The "hole" is not very big - maybe 12 inches tall by 18 inches wide? That's a wag after looking at the pass through a couple of times.
  • willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    SNOWBOARD QUESTION:
    OK..You had my curiosity peaked!.. I saw an article which stated the typical dimensions of a snowboard at 160cm long by 29.3cm wide at foot and tail. For us non-engineers, that is approx. 63 inches long by 11.5" wide.
    SO... I actually went out to my TCH, folded down the rear seat and determined that :
    1 typical snowboard will fit.

The 160cm or 63 inch length does not appear to be any issue with the seat folded down.
    The width of 29.3cm or 11.5" wide should not be a problem either.
    The dimensions of the opening in the pass through area is 20 inches X 6 inches.
    In other words 1 but probably not two depending on the thickness. The fold down seat does not actually fold flat so this most likely would eliminate the second board.

That, in my professional opinion, is that. ;)
    WOW, it's only 6 inches tall? I guess I looked at the hole with my rose-colored glasses on.

They should have put the passthrough on the passenger side, so you could move the passenger seat up, or even fold the front passenger seat down, so you could fit the very occasional really long item. I wonder how skiis would do.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    They should have put the passthrough on the passenger side

They DID put the pass-thru on the passnger side
    wvagasguy said the pass through is on the left rear seat

and that's where I remember it from my visit two weeks ago to the dealer

but I honestly can not remember
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    wvagasguy said the pass through is on the left rear seat

and that's where I remember it from my visit two weeks ago to the dealer

but I honestly can not remember

OK, I'll go to the garage and Look.

Back..its on the passenger side. perhaps wvgasguy was turning his head and looking at it from the driver's seat..it would then be on the "left side" LOL
    thanks
    Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I was looking at the wrong foot when I said left. I should have just said passenger side (Duh).
  • inincubusinincubus Member Posts: 11
    thanks guys.
    i've decided to stick with TCH. i'm just waiting and waiting for the car without knowing 'till when'. i guess there's no way of knowing it until like a couple days before it arrives to the dealer.
  • spaziwkspaziwk Member Posts: 9
    Just picked up my New Camry Hybrid Yesterday. Great Car but no Navigation system. Dealer did not have any and I needed a car right away.

Does anyone know if the Factor Navigation can be added to Camry Hybrid? I know I can get a Portable Daah Mount but would like the Energy Scrrens the Factor one has.
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    The 2007 Camry Hybrid receives an increase of $300, or 1.2 percent. Camry Hybrid pricing is effective with vehicles produced on or after November 1, 2006 for U.S. production or vessel arrivals on or after October 30, 2006. The Camry Hybrid will carry a base MSRP of $26,200.
  • spaziwkspaziwk Member Posts: 9
    Is thier a way to configure Automatic Door locking after I leave the Camry Hybrid? Many times I forget to hit the Lock buuton after I get out.
  • pandcpandc Member Posts: 13
    You are out of luck....you have to go with the aftermarket version of Nav
  • ericottawaericottawa Member Posts: 19
    I have not been on this blog for a while. I am in Canada and bought a TCH several months ago without the Nav and have been waiting. Today I got a price from a dealer of around $2500 CDN but I still do not know if the display will show the Hybrid info. I will hopefully find out tomorrow as I would like to add this too.
  • vivianzvivianz Member Posts: 10
    I have been shopping for a the Camry Hybrid, and all the dealers are quoting $1600 above MSRP. Is this just my area (I have checked from Houston to Atlanta in the Southeast)? :confuse:
    WoW, even when they first came out in May 06 you could find them for MSRP with a little work. Now that the tax credit is half most posters are finding them sitting on lots and getting discounts. I'd look around and be willing to travel out of the area for that kind of money.

I hate to say it because I was sick of hearing about them but dealers like Fitzmall have been discussed on here a lot and they are discounting them
  • kiehlkiehl Member Posts: 5
    I am experiencing an odd problem with the Homelink with my 2007 Camry. I followed the instruction in the linked message from (lungdoc63) and it I was able to program my Camry to successfully operate my rolling code Genie garage door opener. The odd problem is that the remote pad on the outside of the garage gets erased or something and will not work if I program my Camry. This does not happen when I program my Odyssey! My Odyssey continues to work… I have tried many different things but no luck. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to get rid of the opener off of my visor!!!
  • georgia411georgia411 Member Posts: 18
    Hello there - I got a great deal on a Camry Hybrid and found it at a dealer in Athens, GA, which is about an hour away from Atlanta. It was well worth the drive (not sure if we can site dealer names on this forum, but there is only one in this city). It's a great car - good luck!
  • sunjanasunjana Member Posts: 6
    I'm in the market for the TCH. Before I go to the dealer, I was hoping to find out what others have paid recently for their car. I am particularly interested in the premium package with moonroof and navigation. Thanks!!!
  • dyeagsdyeags Member Posts: 6
    TCH comes with VDIM as a safety feature. Is this like the VSC and TC on normal Camrys? Can anyone explain this feature?
  • dyeagsdyeags Member Posts: 6
    Anyone had any experieces with the TCH and snow? We had a 15" snow and the car could not get through it. I didn't really expect it to. Seems the front wheel drive doesn't have as much pulling power as a regular Camry. Any thoughts?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    VDIM is a further advaancement of the 'active' safety features. It was first implemented in the Lexus' several years ago. It also incorporates the electric power steering ( EPS ) into the system.

When the vehicle loses control the onboard computers sense what is needed to bring the vehicle under control.
    .. the throttle may be reduced
    .. one or more of the brakes may be applied
    .. the EPS will be hindered in the direction that will worsen the out of control situation; while the EPS will be assisted in the direction that will bring the vehicle back under control.
  • lvwlvw Member Posts: 14
    I've been driving my TCH in Ontario this winter. Little snow so far (!), but I've had it out in up to 6" of snow, no problems. I wouldn't even try with 15" of snow, even my last car, a Subaru with AWD, would not have done that well.

Just thought I'd mention that you might be experiencing the effects of VDIM. I find I have to use a bit more throttle than with my last car, seemingly in order to get the traction control working. If I do that, the car will work very well going through snow and slippery stuff, at least as well as any other FWD car I've used. Not as good as AWD, but with good snow tires actually pretty close.
  • ericottawaericottawa Member Posts: 19
    I agree with LVW in that 15" would probably be up to the floorboards and pretty well any car would get stuck.
    I too live in snow country although no snow yet in Ottawa Canada....but wait till tomorrow!

I had a Volvo wagon about 20 years ago that had "Summer" tires. It would NOT get up the slightest incline. I had to put Snows on it, NOT "All season" or "M+S". I was told and am not sure if true, that in the province of Quebec, during winter it is mandarory that cars have snow tires.
    I have not checked to see what type of tires I have on my Camry.
  • regal1945regal1945 Member Posts: 25
    Better have that rig checked out, you got big problems, Was in Denver a week ago plowing snow up to 33 inches and never spun the tars. Went thru like my 4x4 truck lol.
  • richcapnskiprichcapnskip Member Posts: 1
    Last week my TCH got broken into (back passenger window shattered) and some things were stolen out of the back of the car. To my knowledge the door was not opened, but the Toyota VIP RS3200 system was supposed to sense movement in the vehicle. When I unlocked the remote with the fob, it gave the standard two beeps. I would have heard the alarm if it had gone off. Has anyone had problems with the alarm activating, deactivating, or similar issues? Thanks!
    Looks like you might have pressed the learned button too long on the opener. I did this with my craftsman garage door opener. basically you have to learn what works for your door opener to make the keypad and remotes work again. for me, I simply tapped the learn button and had 30 seconds to walk to the keypad and enter my code then press enter and it worked again. for my remote (which also got erased), I pressed the remote and then tapped the learn button. I'm sure you can google how to troubleshoot this problem for the genie.
  • barryaz2barryaz2 Member Posts: 1
    I just sent this comment to Edmunds:

I just want to express my dissatisfaction with your pricing data. Your 'TMV' for my new Camry Hybrid was about $1600 over MSRP. I bought one easily last week for $1600 UNDER MSRP. This wasn't a loss-leader. The MSRP was $27,989 for a new 'Magnetic Gray' with the moonroof package, mats, heated mirrors -- pretty much everything except leather and navigation. I found the inventory on the website at Avondale Toyota in Phoenix, AZ. The price was right there -- $26,343 (includes the destination charge). That's the price I paid, plus $299 doc fee, sales tax, and license.
    I just bought the fully loaded (leather, navigation, moonroof, heated seats/mirrors) for about 1500 below msrp. Total was 28,500 (not including dealer extras). I think that the demand has gone down for this car since the tax credit is only half but in the end, you are probably saving more because when the car first came out, buyers paid over msrp to take advantage of the full tax credit.
    buyers paid over msrp to take advantage of the full tax credit.

Only a few actually paid over MSRP. I bought in May and received a small discount, but most people were still getting them at MSRP.
    I just sent this comment to Edmunds:

I just want to express my dissatisfaction with your pricing data.

Let us know whow that turns out :)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Well you did good then! :P

I just bought a car last week and I also managed to get it for under the TMV price, although not quite as much as you managed. But if you check out what TMV is ( http://www.edmunds.com/products/tmv/learn.html ) you'll see that it's really a dynamic figure that is going to change over time, depending on what's actually happening out in the market. Your transaction will be part of the information gathered on what consumers are paying and what dealers are selling for.
  • bmy_chanbmy_chan Member Posts: 1
    I just brought my camry hybrid, I follow instruction to program homelink for my garage door. Seemed like the instrucction is incorrect:
    1. hit the learn key at the gargage door opener
    2. hit and release one of the homelink button (3 buttons),
    the light is solid, doesn't change.

Can you please help.

my email address is bmy_chan@hotmail.com