Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited May 2013
    Did you get a flat bottom steering wheel? I love those things. Makes sense too, much more knee room I would think.

Flat bottom steering wheels gives one about 1/2" of additional legroom. Adjusting the tilt 1 spot up will accomplish the same thing.

Unless one is driving a purpose built track car with a fixed wheel position, it really is for show. But it one likes the look, go for it.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    driver...I was hoping this wasn't going to be the end result of that story. Scary and weird world we live in sometimes.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    robr2...I've got a flat bottom steering wheel in the Audi. While I don't track any more, it's biggest advantage for me is knowing where the wheel's position is as you're turning. I can see if someone would need some extra knee/stomach room where it would be helpful, also.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    Adjusting the tilt 1 spot up will accomplish the same thing.

Tilt is very important to me...there are certain things that I really like to have in a car. Large windows, good sightlines, an actual hood to look at and give me an extra sense of protection, fenders that can be seen, seating position...high enough to see over the instrument panel easily, be able to see out the back window reasonably well - even with a camera, and the tilt of the wheel plus overall feel.

I don't like the steering wheel to high or I feel like I am driving a bus....same with no hood.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    I was hoping this wasn't going to be the end result of that story.

I thought at one point it may have been a hoax. They reported the guy who helped the victim write the ad knew the one suspect they have arrested.

The fellow they have arrested (the other one is still free) inherited his fathers highly successful airplane maintenance business. He inherited lots of valuable property and is a respectable businessman. They found the missing truck in a trailer in one of his homes.

He was married just 3 years ago and was very religious. Wierd is right!
    We were hoping for the best, but, kind of thought this is how it would end.

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    :-(

Based on what you said about the guy who got arrested, I wonder if there's more to the story? It almost sounds like they targeted the guy -- buying the truck was just an excuse.

Last time I sold something on Craigslists (movie,) I met the guy at a bank during business hours. I figured that offered me some protection.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    robr2...I've got a flat bottom steering wheel in the Audi. While I don't track any more...

This is the first time I have ever had a flat bottom steering wheel in a car. It does provide more leg room and adds a bit of luxury "feel" to driving. Also easier to enter and exit the car.

SURGERY

Got home at about 10:30 AM this morning. They used a nerve block for the shoulder which numbed it up to reduce post op pain. It is still numb. Haven't taken any pain meds yet. He removed three spurs and repaired three separate tears in the rotator cuff.

Doing fine right now - just waiting for the nerve block to wear off to see howuch pain meds I will need.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited May 2013
    That's a good plan. It's actually relatively simple to protect yourself. Meet in a well lit, well-trafficked area during the daytime, preferably a location that's likely to have security cameras on-site. A convenience store parking lot works.

We most recently met buyers at my storage center. Surveillance cameras everywhere, and you need a code to get in and out.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Mike

Glad you are home recovering and the surgery went well!

Have any of you Ohio guys dealt with Emery Federal Credit Union? Are they reputable?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I wonder if there's more to the story? It almost sounds like they targeted the guy -- buying the truck was just an excuse.

Very smart observation. The police will give out some information, but, they have to be careful because they don't want to blow this.

The guy they caught has now been charged.
    The victim was killed the first night.
    It may have been a robbery of the truck gone wrong, and they just killed him.
    One detective thinks the other suspect may have been killed by the remaining suspect.
    The suspect they have charged, is 27, has lots of money, a thriving business, owns property, and is known by the police.

Your theory is one they still think is possible. The victim seems to be a model citizen, hard working, religious, devoted family person etc.

Your theory comes into play because one person who helped the victim write the ad also knows the accused murderer. Though I have only heard that said once. The police have also said, although the victim is a perfect citizen, he may know someone who knows someone.

The other thing that maybe goes against that theory is that these guys wanted to test drive another similar truck a few nights earlier...making it seem that it could have been at random.

Between this one and the 3 young ladies in Cleveland the world is getting wierder...maybe I should start packing!

• Options
    SURGERY

Thanks for your thoughts on a flat bottom steering wheel. I really like them and I wondered if they were as good in real life as they seem to be. Funny how we assume things like steering wheels should be round, and then someone comes up with a new design that really makes sense.

Hope the shoulder is as painless as possible. Rotator cuffs are delicate...tennis players live in fear of a RC injury, that can end playing pretty quickly.

• Options
    . Meet in a well lit, well-trafficked area during the daytime,

They are advising people to meet at public places, like a coffee shop. Don't know if someone wants to carry a carpet into a coffee shop.

The other thing I am wondering is how do you do a test drive for an online possible customer? Meeting in a public place where there are cameras could help, but sometimes even that won't stop some criminals. The police found the body on a piece of land owned by the suspect by reviewing surveilance cameras. The police have observed another vehicle following the victims truck during the test drive, also on a surveilance camera. The cameras are good for putting together what happened after the crime, but not that good at preventing a crime.

Still not sure how to do a test drive safely for an online or newspaper potential customer.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Thought you had a BMW? I'm a bit confused here as to when you got an Audi. Thought your girlfriend had an Audi?

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Sandy....you stayed away for awhile.....see what happened? You missec a couple of chapters. GF went somewhere else, left the Audi. It fell to me. BMW was sold.

That's the Reader's Digest version.

Mike, glad to hear you came through "OK".

Kirstie....I agree with you. Key to selling something to strangers is to stay in well lit, unsecluded, very populated areas.

Whenever I've done a private sale, I usually meet at food restaurant or mall in daylight.

Good idea about meeting where there are very visible security cams, too.
  • Options
    Yes, since I started working, I've missed so much. She moved away but left the Audi? Makes no sense since it was in her name, right? And you loved your BMW! Confused!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Mike, glad to hear you came through "OK".

Thanks, gg, went smoother than I thought. Still numb at shoulder and fingers. The nerve block is still working which eliminates the pain. Once that stops numbing me, the doctor said it will be painful. That remains to be seen It just takes forever to type posts.

Sandy posts a lot on Chronic..., so I read all his posts. But he did miss the gf's departure and the BMW sale.

Hope you are holding up well - and thanks again for the shout-out.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Got home at about 10:30 AM this morning.

Welcome back. Take care of that arm and don't post if you get too loopy. Remember that you can't delete posts after 30 minutes. :)
  • Options
    Welcome back. Take care of that arm and don't post if you get too loopy. Remember that you can't delete posts after 30 minutes.

Actually, I have not had to take any pain medication as of 11:15 PM. The nerve block is still working, but the shoulder is beginning to ache a bit. I am going to try to get through the night with nothing for pain.

Thanks for the good wishes, verdugo!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Sandman....yes...Audi was in her name. Yes, I loved the BMW.

Bottm line, the EX could afford the Audi as long as she was living in my house with no expenses. Out on her own? Paying rent and/or mortgage, utilities, insurance, phone, etc? She couldn't afford it. I bought her out. And, I didn't need two high buck cars when I could only drive one at a time. So, the BMW was sold.
  • Options
    Welcome back. Take care of that arm and don't post if you get too loopy. Remember that you can't delete posts after 30 minutes.

Well, made it to 2:00 AM without pain pills, but that was it. Just took 2 tablets - goodbye pain - hello constipation and no sleep. I guess I have to take the good with the bad.

I have therapy on Thursday morning and will have to drive over there - just 2 blocks or so. I just hope this surgery corrects the problems and the pain and mobility.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Well, made it to 2:00 AM without pain pills, but that was it. Just took 2 tablets - goodbye pain - hello constipation and no sleep. I guess I have to take the good with the bad.

Mike, you'll feel much better in a day or two. My cousin had the RC operation from a tennis injury and in three days he was relatively pain free. :cry:

The first night after the operation he hardly slept but he followed doctors orders and kept the shoulder iced. All he needed was a helper to put fresh ice in the shoulder contraption. Don't know what the ice really does but I suspect it is to keep the swelling down.

Oh, and by the way, my offer to drive you around in your 2014 E350 is still open. Get well soon!
  • Options
    Please let us know which one. The place on 441 in Coconut Creek that we've been going to for years has changed cooks or something...it's just not good anymore. We need a new one near us...since you like your place so much, we'll give it a try as we're not too far at all.

• Options
    Please let us know which one. The place on 441 in Coconut Creek that we've been going to for years has changed cooks or something...it's just not good anymore. We need a new one near us...since you like your place so much, we'll give it a try as we're not too far at all.

Sandy, you sure picked out a very old post to respond to. I had to go back and figure out what you were talking about.

The restaurant is called "ASIAN GRILL" and they are located east of Riverside Drive on Royal Palm in a small shopping area on the south side of Royal Palm (Copans). Great Chinese food for very reasonable pricing.

I don't think I can list their phone number here. Just look them up in the phone book. They have great steamed or fried pot stickers. Let me know how you like their food.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I have therapy on Thursday morning and will have to drive over there - just 2 blocks or so.

Not sure if it'd be safe (for you and everybody else on the road :P ) for you to walk.
  • Options
    Not sure if it'd be safe (for you and everybody else on the road ) for you to walk.

They have transportation services so they are going to pick me up and take me home!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Even better.
  • Options
    Even better.

To be sure! They called me about an hour ago and offered that service until I could drive myself safely. I am in no shape to drive - pain is very acute and the morphine pills.

The new recliner is scheduled to arrive this afternoon - I'll be more comfortable then!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    The new recliner is scheduled to arrive this afternoon

Being under the influence for medication reminded me about this story that was on the news last night:

WASHINGTON – Federal accident investigators recommended Tuesday that states cut their threshold for drunken driving by nearly half, matching a standard that has substantially reduced highway deaths in other countries.

The National Transportation Safety Board said states should shrink the standard from the current .08 blood alcohol content to .05 as part of a series of recommendations aimed at reducing alcohol-related highway deaths.

More than 100 countries have adopted the .05 alcohol content standard or lower, according to a report by the board’s staff. In Europe, the share of traffic deaths attributable to drunken driving was reduced by more than half within 10 years after the standard was dropped.

Change DUI from .08 to .05

Good idea getting a ride each way. Hope the day goes well and the new chair is comfortable.

• Options
    Right across the street from our old temple...I will have to take the wife there when she comes back from my daughters house this weekend. I hadn't read all those old posts so I am going back and reading them all since I have the time now...haven't worked in a couple of days.

• Options
    I'm jumping in to say that I think this is a silly move. The issue right now is not that the current limit is too high - there are plenty of people who meet or exceed the limit already. However, most of those people are still on the road, many without any record of conviction.

The people who cause injury & death aren't sporting a .05, .06, .07 BAC. They're usually WELL above the current legal limit. Lowering the limit won't stop those fools. They're already unconcerned about breaking current laws. It won't lead to more convictions, either, because anyone who isn't dead broke hires a lawyer and either gets out of any real consequences, or gets a better deal.

Who makes out? The lawyers. Lower limit = more clients needing their services to get out of or plead down the charges.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    Right across the street from our old temple...

Diagonally across the street, I believe. We usually order out since they deliver. They have a dish called Singapore Rice Noodle. It's a very fine rice noodle seasoned with curry and includes shrimp, pork, vegetables, chicken, etc. it's a bit spicy, but out of this world.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Kirstie....I'm with you.

I know it's unpoplular to disagree with tighter DUI restrictions. But, you're right. In addition to lawyer and insurance money printing special interest groups, MADD themselves have turned into a huge money machine. That doesn't count how much the municipalities rake in for fines.

This has nothing to do with public safety. It has everything to do with stuffing money into the pockets of those groups mentioned above.

On weekends, the local police set up road blocks. They get paid money to do it by the state and the Federal Gov't. The amount of people they actually arrest (not convict, just arrest) is miniscule, and certainly a tremendous waste of tax payer money.

It's proven time and again that those who are causing the most problems are the ones who are habitual DUI offenders. And, as you point out, they aren't just a little tipsy, they're flat out drunk (with BA levels in excess of .2). Those are the easiest offenders to find, and the easiest to restrict from driving.

Yet, their numbers are small and they don't bring in nearly the amount of money as the guy/gal who have 3 glasses of wine with dinner and might have a BAC of .08.

Just like the red light cameras are unconstitutional, don't let that get in the way of making rules to extract more money from the citizenry.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    GG, I totally agree with both you and Kirstie for the reasons you pointed out.

It's just another money grab as if we didn't have enough of these already!
  • Options
    Some very good points. And as GG says, it is really the repeat DUI drivers who cause the most accidents.

As to MADD, they have done a lot of good, drunk driving deaths are almost half of wht they were in the 80s. .08 has made a big difference.

Yahoo News report: .08 to .05

This is one comment that makes me think .05 is worth considering;

More than 100 countries have adopted the .05 alcohol content standard or lower, according to a report by the board’s staff. In Europe, the share of traffic deaths attributable to drunken driving was reduced by more than half within 10 years after the standard was dropped.

More .08 vs. >05

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I read that in Denmark (I think) they have a ZERO tolarance policy and if a person is caught, they lose their license FOREVER!

But if they are somewhere drinking, if the call the police they will be picked up and driven home and back to their car the next day.
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    edited May 2013
    Denmark is special. It is a very anti-car country, where taxes assessed on sale are as much as the car price itself.

However, 0.05 limit is reasonable, in my opinion. I heard that Germans has even stranger law. In essence, it is two tier limit system One is an absolute, where if you are stopped and you test above it, you get DUI. Another limit, lower, kicks in when you have an accident. If you test above it, you are automatically assigned the responsibility for the crash, regardless of facts on the ground. Strange and can be very unfair at times, but would give one a pause - is it worth to sit behind the wheel after those couple of drinks. I wonder if they have larger number of hit and runs because of that.

In cases like those I don't listen to any lobbying groups. Both sides used out of proportion, exaggerrated arguments having nothing to do with reality. If you listen to them, there's either some unreported holocaust going on (MADD), or if you attempt to change the law, the economy will crash into stone age and gazilions of people will be out of work (restaurants). It's all about stirring emotion, making you feel guilty. I call it moral extortion. If you are against our agenda, you are a communist, or you are a drunk driver yourself, and you for sure hate this country. Just can't stand it.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    The people who cause injury & death aren't sporting a .05, .06, .07 BAC. They're usually WELL above the current legal limit. Lowering the limit won't stop those fools. They're already unconcerned about breaking current laws. It won't lead to more convictions, either, because anyone who isn't dead broke hires a lawyer and either gets out of any real consequences, or gets a better deal.

Exactly; the real problem cases are the .10 and up drunks. All lowering the limit does is clog up the court system and line the pockets of criminal defense attorneys.

But what do I know? I've only watched this particular dog and pony show from the front row for 27 years...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    RB.....I was hoping you'd chime in.

Isell.....out of all the pressing issues facing this country, this lower BAC level is near the forefront?

On top of oil price manipulation, red light cameras, I now have this to write to my Congressman and Senator about.

Speaking of oil price manipulation, thr U.K. Is looking to prosecute both Shell and BP for price and supply manipulation. They're estimating the fine to be Biilions of pounds.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    I agree with all of you. We don't need more regulations, just stiffer punishments. Or punishments that stick. About 12 years ago I served on a grand jury in Rockland County, NY where I grew up. 90% of the cases we heard were DWI cases. Of that 90%, I want to say a solid 85% were repeat offenders. And a very large percentage were close to or double the legal limit.

The problem is the people that drink so much, so often that even if they were to blow double the legal limit, they "seem" ok to the rest of us.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    bossman141bossman141 Member Posts: 56
    My 01 Acura RL got rear ended on Saturday. Damage was pretty extensive. Adjuster came this morning and called it a total loss. I was happy. Ended up turning an $1800 profit. Car had very low miles and was in great shape. Anyways, I need a car and fast. Rental is only good for 4 more days.

I'm looking for a mid size sedan that gets great gas mileage. Seems pretty easy these days. Choices are extensive. Looking to lease.

First stop - Ford. I am eligible for x plan pricing and figured I would give the Fusion a look see. The dealer had very limited stock. Had one Base model and a whole bunch of loaded ones. None in my price range.

Salesman tried to steer me to a Focus hatchback which was actually very nice but didn't do it for me. Especially at $248 a month. For that $ there are other more interesting options.

Second stop - Nissan. Looked at the Altima SV. Really nice car. Salesman seemed green and the sales manager was only slightly pushy. Gave me a scripted line of 3 things I would need to do to get the best price. 1) buy from their stock 2) have good credit 3) take delivery same day. They positioned it as a "promotion". The whole thing seemed weird but not prohibitive if the deal was right. Quoted me $250 36/12k $2000 out of pocket.

Tomorrow's plan: VW and Mazda
  • Options
    My 01 Acura RL got rear ended on Saturday. Damage was pretty extensive.

Boss man, sounds like you are on the right track. VW Passat is a great car for the money as is the Altima. Ford products are well built and retain their resale value.

I'd be interested in your opinion of the Mazda.

Good luck, bossman!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited May 2013
    Anyways, I need a car and fast. Rental is only good for 4 more days.

You better hurry because there are lots of choices in midsize segment. You mentioned the Fusion, that is a great choice and worth a second look. Shop elsewhere for nicely optioned SE--you should able to drive one home for ~$250/month. Other good choices in the segment:
    Camry
    Accord
    Forte (yes, a little smaller but excellent fit & finish; and great styling in and out)
    Optima

If you can stretch your budget a little beyond your comfort zone the Mercedes Benz C-class is also a good choice. And perhaps you should also consider a two-year off-lease upscale sedan as well.

Good luck and happy shopping!
  • Options
    Asking us to recommend how to spend your money is like asking a politician whether s/he likes a tax hike. :P

Not a bad choice among all of the cars on your list.

Just curious....the Acura RL (albeit 12 years old) is really a different kind of car compared to the ones you're looking at. And, it looks like you want to move to a lease, which is something you didn't have with your RL. Why the change?
  • Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Your rental doesn't have to end in 4 days. Why not rent the car you intend to "lease" before you commit? Renting, leasing...seems all the same to me.

One is a little more expensive, but you still end up with a slightly lower payment and you own nothing at turn in time.

Glad you were able to separate Nissan as a pushy sales place and not fall for the bull. I noticed their methods as well and wouldn't give them another look.

I don't see why everybody doesn't have a Mustang. They're fun, sporty and the base models are downright inexpensive.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    bossman141bossman141 Member Posts: 56
    We have leased many cars in he past. I bought the Acura RL when my '11 CTS lease was up. The thinking was that i would like to drive a year with no car payment.

The situation now is a bit different. We had our second child 3 months ago and both me and my wife work. I will be needing to take my little girl to grandma's house every day for daycare. 50 miles round trip. Hence, I'm looking for very good MPG and something a bit more family oriented.
  • Options
    Bossman....makes perfect sense. Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    I don't see why everybody doesn't have a Mustang. They're fun, sporty and the base models are downright inexpensive.

One obvious reason: You need real second row seats.

I don't even know why they bothered with a seat back there. :sick:
  • Options
    Totally agree. I don't have a personal beef with whatever the legal limit is, but it doesn't matter when people blowing well above the legal limit suffer only minor consequences.

I don't know how I feel about Denmark's "lose it forever" policy, because people DO learn. I had one friend who lost her license for 10 years, but even that was on her 4th DWI. However, after she got it back, she won't drive if she's had a drop of alcohol. Several other friends have had mixed results - some got off with almost no consequences, apart from monetary (which they could afford) and learned nothing. Some had to go through 3-4 prosecutions before anything "real" happened to them, and some of those people stopped alcohol altogether (wise move in their cases). But none that I know had any driving privileges revoked until at LEAST #2, if not later.

So, my only beef with ANY limit is, it's got to have consequences or the limit itself is meaningless.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    You need real second row seats.

No I don't. :shades: The only time the back seat was occupied was when my Sister-In-Law wanted to go for a ride when the car was only days old. I went fast and took turns hard. She went flying around back there while her husband and I (up front) laughed our butts off.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    I had one friend who lost her license for 10 years, but even that was on her 4th DWI ... Several other friends have had mixed results -

You need to hang out with a different crowd. :)
This discussion has been closed.