Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,444
    Not for me, but for my parents. They are trading in their 2011 Porsche Cayenne V6 (Sand White/Black Interior) with just over 57,000 miles for a 2013 BMW X5 35i Premium (Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Leather).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,339
    A week ago yesterday, my BIL and I took the train from West haven to the Yankee game.
    Getting out after the game is so much easier than driving.
    A few days later the train system totally went out and will be out for an extended period of time, as I am sure you well know.
    Although my BIL is a Sox fan, he loved the stadium and we saw a great game.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    LOL, sounds like we both hold a similar view of our public servants in D.C.

Beat you by 4 minutes, eh? Another huge win for me! Picture me ending my victory dance with a huge Tigeresque fist pump !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    1 1/2 hours to get home

When we moved from Virginia Beach and all its traffic to the mountains of Southwest Virginia, we were amazed at the relaxed pace and calming effect.

One morning I was taking my wife to the store, we came upon a traffic light with 4 cars waiting. I poked my wife and said "look honey, a traffic jam...this must be rush hour". We both laughed.

While in the Navy I was stationed in Bayonne, NJ for a bit. I was one of the few with a Govt license and had to take guys to different places in the city, usually right into Manhattan, Governors Island, etc. While it was fun in my twenties, I wouldn't want to do that for a minute these days. I remember the Tappan Zee, Triborough, Queens Expressway, Brooklyn Bridge and the Ferrys at lower Manhattan very well. I hated the Verazano Narrows (seriously scary up there).

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,979
    my parents. They are trading in their 2011 Porsche Cayenne V6 (Sand White/Black Interior) with just over 57,000 miles for a 2013 BMW X5 35i Premium (Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Leather).

What's the thinking there NYC.

Not that there is anything wrong with it...just wondering about the thought process.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,371
    When I was in private practice I was trying to help an elderly client who was involved in a property line dispute. I tried to settle the matter with negotiation but that failed. I called him and told him we would have to file a lawsuit to resolve the matter. His wife gets on the extension and forbids him from "Paying any more money to a greedy lawyer." I say goodbye and send them a bill for the letters I sent as well as a couple of calls I made to his neighbor- it was less than $100. Which they never paid.

A few years later I get a phone call; the old man had died and his wife had taken his estate to another attorney(of course). I get a call from yet another attorney who was representing a potential buyer for the deceased's house. The title search turns up the property line issue. The widow claims that she knew nothing about it and tells the guy to"Call my husband's old attorney- he'll back me up!"
    Boy, did I... :):)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    RB....love that story.

Craig...I recall you telling that story over the years. Always enjoy it.

Mike, interesting way to deal with the "one offer" from the dealer's point of view. You and I would strike deals in pretty quick, friendly fashion if you were still in the biz.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Sweet revenge !!!
  • Options
    sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    Congratulations on the adoption of your rescue dog. She sounds like the perfect combination. I know that she has the perfect home and all of you will have a wonderful life together.

Richard
  • Options
    Rooney may drive you crazy at times but, knowing you, I know that you wouldn't take anything for him. When they do something that you don't like, it's their love for you that makes it so easy to forgive.

Richard
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Mike, interesting way to deal with the "one offer" from the dealer's point of view. You and I would strike deals in pretty quick, friendly fashion if you were still in the biz.

Definitely! I only used that approach with very difficult customers. Negotiating with some people is very taxing because they consider it a "game" that must be played. I could usually tell when a customer was wasting my time and would pull out the invoice and offer them that one chance to buy the car at that price. Funny thing was that they wanted even more which was rificulous.

"...here Mr. customer, take it or leave it!..." And most of the time they left it. That was what I was counting on - but every so often, that approach made a non-buyer a true buyer!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    So glad that you had a nice trip and made it home safely. I'm with you on the anger management issue for the BMW owner. As you say, he may have been well paid to do this to his car. I just can't imagine destroying a new vehicle like this.

I really haven't thought about pin-stripes in years. You certainly don't see as many now. I remember adding red ones to a white Blazer that had red leather interior. They made the biggest difference in the overall appearance of that vehicle.

Richard
  • Options
    In an effort to put a positive slant on the car, I'll say that the owner certainly gave it a retro look. It reminds me of something from the late 1930's or early 1940's.

Richard
  • Options
    If you take the Mark VIII to Florida, you'll need more than the black socks and sandals. The car will need some "gold bling"----gold spinners on the hubcaps perhaps?

Richard
  • Options
    orbids him from "Paying any more money to a greedy lawyer."

I love it! Love those kind of stories.

We have an elderly friend (more elderly than us) who needed his lawyer to rewrite his will, and he needed his wife's will for probate as she just died.

Our friend is in poor health so the lawyer came to the house. He said he would have it done and he would phone back in 4 days. He didn't call and wouldn't take our friends calls. Then he went away for a week. Now over 3 weeks passed.

We found our friend a new lawyer and he completed a new will the next day after contacting him. Original lawyer wanted $1100 for his time (about an hour at most) and wouldn't hand over his wife's will unless that amount was paid.

New lawyer dictated a letter I wrote to the original lawyer saying if he didn't hand over the documents within 48 hours he would be reported to the law society. Also, our friend would pay him $300 for 1 hour of time.

He got the docs to the new lawyer within the time limit and we haven't heard from him since. The new lawyer spent about 4 hours on the work, dictated a letter for me to write, and charged $1100...and did everything promptly.

I love the use of ultimatums when negotiating.

• Options
    We have to keep in mind that your dad was a true "fashionista" for that period of time. I can remember similar outfits because I wore them myself when I did my stint in modeling. I also modeled the Edwardian outfits, the Nehrue suits, the polyester stretch pants, etc. My favorite modeling included the Madras shorts, penny loafers, and a crisp white shirt. Those were the days---some better than others.

Richard
  • Options
    I can tell that you are the perfect dog owner. You're so right when you say that they are "wonderful for the soul".

Richard
  • Options
    You know that I am green with envy, having wanted a truck for ages now. Your '06 sounds like a cream puff. I'm delighted that you really like it and that it is doing as well as a new one. Not only is it a great truck, but just think of the money that you saved from purchasing a new one.

Richard
  • Options
    Based on the pictures, it took those 200K miles very gently.

Richard
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Good for you. People can be idiots (present company excused of course).

rb - you were right on the money with the Nightbreakers. What nice headlights! I can almost see now. Then I had a friend of mine (a three hour drive each way but I save money and get to hang out and have a good time all day) check out my pads and rotors. Needed pads all around and front rotors which we bought at Advance where he gets a discount. Probably a third of the price the mechanic down here does and no charge for labor. This guy is a keeper.

Have been running my daughter's old Accord - the one that we bought new 14 years ago and and is less that 6K for turning 300K - because of a check engine light. Before I could get it inspected the light came on again. A local one guy Honda shop says it's the O2 sensors we just put in; that Hondas are notorious for rejecting anything but the real thing on emission controls. Fine. I know I have a refund on the front O2 sensor and I expect I have one on the rear as well.

Ive got a crack that mystifies me on the Mazda windshield and just too big to repair but the replacement is reasonable and will be done Tuesday in my driveway. Would have been Monday but I'll be doing the Sloan Kettering trip that day. I feel great and the only thing doc is likely to give me hell about is a couple of really nasty finger scrapes that I didn't feel when they happened. I was waxing a friend's car when I did it. She hadn't ruled out car washing and such so I never asked because usually the answer is, no, don't do that.

The big news as of last night is I know my donor! They called me last night giving me his name, address, phone and email. I sent a reasonably lengthy email and then talked to him on the phone He's as thrilled as I am. He'll be in Philly come November I'll meet him and we'll do dinner!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I've heard of just about every way you can get "motion sickness" - in a car, on a boat or on a ship, in an airplane, or even when spinning through the turns on a roller coaster at Universal Studios - but never heard of suffering that ailment while using a smart phone in your living room! Then, I updated my phone with IOS 7, and low and behold I was reaching for a Dramamine tablet after tapping on an App.

All kidding aside, I do get a bit queasy when tapping on an application icon. It's like being drawn into a tunnel at 300 mph. Wonder how they decided to design the new software like that and also wonder why!

I know there is a setting that can eliminate the motion-like zip you sense after tapping an app - but there have been hundreds of thousands calls to Apple complaining about the new software. Who would have thought???

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    This week Rooney killed a raccoon and a groundhog- on the same night. He is such an affectionate dog around people- but he is death to varmints...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,695
    "...another huge win for me..."

LOL!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited September 2013
    "...I remember the Tappen Zee..."

Did you ever see them move the concrete barrier in the middle with that special machine? Very cool.

Unfortunately, our governor is trying to throw a bone to various supporters by rebuilding the Tappen Zee for about 4 billion dollars.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    I'm glad that the Nightbreakers worked out- and how cool to find out about your donor.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,579
    edited September 2013
    I used the TZ last month, and the footings for the new one are going in. that is going to be one expensive way to still have cars back up at rush hour.

I don't really miss living in NY. Now just need to get out of NJ too!

Oh, I might be able to go to $500 on the Corvette if it runs OK. I do need an extra car!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,444
    They loved the way the Cayenne looked and drove. It was however, extremely expensive to maintain. Not too long after they coughed up something like $4,200 for a major service @ 50K miles (oil, filter, pads & rotors @ all 4 corners, cabin filter, air filter, brake fluid, transmission fluid, spark plugs), the computer that runs the navigation/radio/cd/Bluetooth decided to not function properly. With the car a few thousand miles out of warranty, the service department stepped up & went to bat for them big time. The dealership got the new part covered & my parents dodged a $5,000 bullet. They decided... That's it! NEXT!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    "Did you ever see them move the concrete barrier in the middle with that special machine? Very cool."

I saw that once. It was soo cool. I am surprised more bridges don't have that system.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,400
    They use a similar machine on the Walt Whitman and Ben Franklin Bridges from NJ into Philadelphia.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    The dealership got the new part covered & my parents dodged a $5,000 bullet.

Your parents did a smart thing......quit while still ahead.

The Cayenne is an impressive vehicle, and at least they had the pleasure of owning one....before the real problems began.

I'll put that bit of information in the file...don't buy anything too exotic - it's fun only if things don't go wrong.

• Options
    I was curious to see this moveable concrete barrier so I looked it up:

That is so cool, what a great idea.

Now I have to find out who Mr Tappan Zee was to see who the bridge was named after.
    Ah, just found out...there really is a Mr Tappan Zee - Governor Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee to be exact.

HOSTS: I can only do images and formats if I start a new post, not if I do a reply, this has been going on for a long time now. I think I should get a partial refund.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I was reading an article recently (can't remember the publication) and they were saying that the worst way to buy a car is to lease it. Why? Because you are paying for the depreciation, and a car depreciates most rapidly in its first three years of ownership--the usual lease term.

Another important point that the article made was once you are on the lease treadmill it is very hard to get off. It is true that your monthly lease payments generally is smaller than buying but at the end of the lease you have no equity to trade on a new vehicle. Since it is so hard to save to buy another new car most lessees are forced to lease their next new ride and therefore are perpetually stuck on the lease treadmill.

Well, that is not news to most readers here but it certainly brings home the point that leasing is the worst way to buy a car.
  • Options
    I agree that leasing is more costly than owning except in cases of business depreciation and tax advantages, but there is one distinct note on the positive side.
    No trade-in on your next purchase. Trades are always my biggest problem when buying. Otherwise I'd do the graphicguy method of "here's my offer...take it or leave it". Buying 101 simple is best!

• Options
    What's tragically sad is that people need articles like this to explain to them that reality tv isn't actually real.

you've got to be kidding me .... the next thing you will try to get me to believe is that everything on the internet isn't true !!!!!

They can't post anything that isn't true on the internet. I saw that on a TV commercial.

LOLOLOLLLLLLL you don't seriously BELIEVE that do you!?!

He does not believe it, it is quite obviously sarcasm, the really scary part is that you believed he actually thinks that.

But wrestling is real right. Please don't say wrestling isn't real.

• Options
    "...I might go $500 on the Corvette..."

Sold! Of course there will be a $3500 dealer fee on that unit.

• Options

• Options
    edited September 2013
    "...There really is a Mr. Tappen Zee..."

Not quite. Malcolm Wilson was a former governor of NY. The bridge was named for an Indian tribe in the area and for the widening of the river in the area. A lot of things in NYS have Dutch names because NY began as a Dutch colony called New Amsterdam.

The Tappan Zee (also Tappan Sea or Tappaan Zee) is a natural widening of the Hudson River, about 3 mi (5 km) across at its widest, in southeastern New York in the United States. It stretches about 10 mi (16 km) along the boundary between Rockland and Westchester counties, downstream from Croton Point to Irvington. It derives its name from the Tappan Native American sub-tribe of the Delaware/Lenni Lenape, and the Dutch word zee, meaning a sea or a wide expanse of water.[3]

• Options
    "...auto auction..."

I'm sorry but I got sidetracked on a sidebar about the many talents of Kate Upton and forgot to look at the picture of the car.

• Options
    I can so identify with your warranty issues. I never buy those packages but this house came with a home warranty. After the first year, I renewed it for $500. Then we had roof problems. I called the company and got the response that "We don't cover roofs." Then one of the ac/heat units went---it was 23 years old. I called the company to replace the old unit. Their response was, "We'll replace the compressor but not the unit." Imagine not replacing a unit that old. One thing is for sure. I won't be renewing the home warranty next year.

Richard
  • Options
    "He is now a U.S. Senator."

Love it, love it, love it!!!

Richard
  • Options
    On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the very best, how would you grade your Pilot?

Richard
  • Options
    "...he'll back me up."

Selective memory is always interesting, isn't it?

Richard
  • Options
    I'm so glad that you have your donor. What a blessing.

Richard
  • Options
    they were saying that the worst way to buy a car is to lease it.

Sorry to repeat myself but I think that article is rather simplistic to say leasing is the worst way to buy a car. It is probably worse 80% of the time, but here are 3 examples when leasing is probably best;

1) I have a friend who doesn't know the value of his trade in and he has no idea what a new car should be worth. He prefers to lease a new Civic every 3 years. He gets a new car with a warranty every 3 years, knows he will pay slightly more, but has a hassle free experience. He likes to eliminate as much stress as possible in his life.

2)I needed an SUV to start my business. I could take money out of savings but if I leased I could write off the full amount. I was able to get a new car which was the one I needed for my business, it looked nice and new which makes a favorable impression on my customers, and the business was successful...I am glad I leased that Jeep at the time.

3) I have a friend who has a young son who got a job where he has to commute about 40 miles each way every day. His old car is unreliable. He doesn't have enough money to buy a new car. This job is a good one in his chosen field, leasing will allow him to get a new reliable car that will get him to his new job. Putting off having a new car because he would have to buy it would be what I refer to as "false economizing".

My point is, it is usually better to buy, but, don't say "never lease" a new car. Sometimes it is the best way to get into a new car, if done wisely for the right reasons.

• Options
    Good one oldfarmer! Quick thinking

Which rusted out old hulk were you thinking oldfarmer should bid on?

• Options
    Could someone explain to me in VERY SIMPLE terms the difference between brake pads and brake shoes? Thanks.

Richard
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    My point is, it is usually better to buy, but, don't say "never lease" a new car.

Based on economics, it is always cheaper to buy than to rent. The three examples you cite are perfect reasons to buy. Cars today, will remain in relatively good working condition for thirteen or more years.

In the Civic example, your friend is eating the depreciation for the next buyer who buys nabs it at discount price. In the SUV example you could get a much better write-off (accelerated depreciation) in the early years than leasing.

Although you made a good point for the last example. The young, however, should have bought a pre-owned vehicle rather than leasing a brand new one. He and the Civic owner will probably never get off the leasing treadmill.
  • Options
    brake pads and brake shoes?

Shoes are the entire metal plate with the stopping pads and the pads are the part that wears on the disc or drum. For your use they're interchangeable.

• Options
    Kate Upton I almost got off target there too, but the auction had me focused.

I recorded the entire 3 hour auction in Nebraska (sorry, not N Dakota) from the history channel and will watch it after the football games.

• Options

This discussion has been closed.