Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    Thanks for those pictures. The jeep is still too round for my tastes. I had not seen the G Class. I wonder how much they cost? It does fit the square look.

Richard
  • Options
    Your tombstone should say: King of Vintage Automobiles

Richard
  • Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Richard, don't forget the Ford Escape. The real treat is it's about 5 or 6 inches narrower than most SUVs which made parking in the garage or in tight spaces a breeze. Plus they come in 2wd or 4wd and drive really nice.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I had not seen the G Class. I wonder how much they cost?

The G Class starts at $113K.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,005
    The G Class starts at $113K.

Richard can afford that easily....all the money he is saving by not getting speeding tickets.

Besides, if it is too much he can lease it.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Why are you worrying about obamacare, aren't you on medicare ? If not, this would be a good time to sign up.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hm, I though this discussion was about sales stories - car sales.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,411
    edited October 2013
    Last three cars I got rid of had approximately 160K, 180K and 170K and all the down time on all three was one day. Outside of normal routine scheduled maintenance I had one thing done on just one of those cars. Cars today are highly reliable and with care and routine maintence there is no reason not to get 150K or more trouble free miles.

I agree 100%. I find that more than a few people use the reliability excuse as cover for them simply wanting a new car. I currently budget $400/month for maintenance on all six cars. How would I be saving money if I was leasing-or had a car payment on-one or more cars?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,179
    Modern day marketing is all about making one confuse needs with desires. Adding mastery of obscuring costs from you (only. xx per month) many people think they are practically paid to get a new car.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I can't imagine why you couldn't get a 6 month lease. If that is the case, leasing would definitely be the way to go...you don't want to buy and sell every 6 months, unless you are Mike.

Leasing companies and manufacturer's financing subsidies do not offer leases under 24 months, for good reason - to spread out initial depreciation which is highest on the first 18-24 months. A 6 month lease would be extremely expensive - and the fees and acquisition costs could only be amortized for 6 months.

Ford red carpet leases are available for 24 months and are quite reasonably priced. Infinity and Lexus used to offer 27 month leases as well. But a 6 month lease would be prohibitive due to the high cost.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,688
    a 6 month lease? probably could make it cheaper to just rent for that length.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,509
    "Hm, I though this discussion was about sales stories - car sales."

You must be new. This board didn't get to 94K posts keeping on-topic.

Most of us like it like this.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    I currently budget $400/month for maintenance on all six cars. How would I be saving money if I was leasing-or had a car payment on-one or more cars

You will have to come up with a lot more money when you have to trade in your much older car for a new one. Besides, I get bored of the same car after 4 or 5 years...........I am surprised when buying or owning a car is only about the cost. A car is an emotional thing...it isn't just about the $s and cents.

• Options
    But a 6 month lease would be prohibitive due to the high cost.

I don't see why you can't go to an independent guy and get a 6 month lease. Of course the depreciation hit will be high, the car probably loses 25% of it's value the first day...but, that can all be calculated into the price. That's the beauty of our capitalist system, where there's a way to make a buck someone will find a way to do it.

It's just a matter of calculating the value of the car in 6 months.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,783
    Infiniti had a special 18-month lease on the G37, last year.. cheap, too... Seems I remember them doing a 12-month lease at one time, not too long ago...

But, Infinitis have always been cheap to lease, relative to their MSRP..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    leasing is like going to the ATM at a mini mart to take out $20. The fees kill you, especially in relation to what you are getting.

So on a ST lease, you just get to pay all those fees more often, and they are a bigger % of the total cost.

You might be surprised what you can get a LT rental for, if you really wanted a lease for 6 months (forget having a wandering eye, assume you actually have a 6 month need). The rental won't have all the front and back end fees. Or DMV, etc.

• Options
    Thanks for that thought. The parking idea is a definite plus. Though our SRX and convertible both fit in the two car garage, it is narrow. I have often wondered why this big barn has such a small garage. I don't know how the original 1950's owners parked their big tanks in this narrow garage. I thought about removing the center brick pillow, but discovered that it holds up the walk up attic space above the garage. An Escape would definitely solve that problem.

Richard
  • Options
    Thanks for checking on that price for me. I would never spend that much money on an automobile unless it was a RR. Even then I would really have to give it a lot of thought. I don't even think that the G Class looks like a $113K vehicle.

Richard
  • Options
    22 months with no speeding tickets. Aren't you proud of me?

Richard
  • Options
    I hoped you knocked on wood, taunting the karma Gods like that.

• Options
    "Why are you worrying about Obamacare...."

Our state retirement plan, which pays for our health insurance, is forcing us to choose a plan that includes Medicare Parts A, B, and D. These new plans come from several different companies. We're attending meetings to try to decide which plan to select. It's quite a task for some retired people who haven't used their thinking caps in quite a few years. I'm trying to be a good student----reading, taking notes, watching videos, etc. We have 5 options; I'm just hoping that I pick the best one for me and my wife. My wife is no help on this. She doesn't want to be bothered and says that she trusts whatever I decide. Talk about pressure.

Richard
  • Options
    We are exempt from certain Edmunds rules. This selective, invitation only, club has been together for many years. We pay extensive dues and, in turn, are allowed to discuss what we like, when we like, and with whom we like. Though the basic interest is automobiles, we are a family which answers the needs of its members. Those interest include, but are not limited to, health problems, home renovations, new housing construction, the purchase of home appliances, various musical interests, the purchase of cars, the best books to read, child rearing, vacation tips and travels, investments, etc. We have an assigned Hostess who understands our needs and rarely has to correct us about our behavior, attitudes, or interests. Do drop by to visit again. You'll find our postings informative, imaginative, absorbing, and very friendly.

Richard
  • Options
    Sooooo well said----and so true!

Richard
  • Options
    We did miss you here Richard.

Oh, since I discussed colleges with you a while back, thought you might like to know that my daughter ended up applying to Elon. No other NC schools though. Also applied to S. Carolina (I think she just hopes to meet a rich kid from Kentucky that has his own BMW SUV) among other schools.

• Options
    I thought about that. I didn't mean to brag; just saying how grateful I am. Watch me get one tomorrow.

Richard
  • Options
    I'm delighted to hear that your daughter applied to Elon. Through my recruitment travels, I am familiar with that college. It is smaller than some with an excellent reputation. Class sizes are small and a good deal of individual attention is given to the students. I have a couple of old friends who attended Elon. They held their own very well when they attended graduate schools in other parts of the country. If Elon becomes her choice, it will certainly be a good one. As a parent, you can rest easily knowing that she is there. Keep me posted on her final decision.

Richard
  • Options
    Also applied to S. Carolina (I think she just hopes to meet a rich kid from Kentucky that has his own BMW SUV)

Good timing! Cruel parents that we are, we told our son he couldn't take a car with him for his first year at South Carolina- and that his grades would play a major role in determining whether he would get to take his car for his sophomore year...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    "Cruel parents that we are,...."

In that case we need more cruel parents. Good for you!

Richard
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,316
    For today's modern parent, I saw the following on line:

"Want today's wi-fi password? Walk the dog, clean your room and take out the trash"

I loved it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    edited October 2013
    Thanks guys for explaining things so eloquently to our visiting (I hope) guest host. Makes us realize how lucky we are to have Kirstie as part of our family! I sure hope the up coming revamp does not include shuffling the hosts.

Richard, thanks for the insurance explanation. I thought it was something like that. Good luck with your research.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited October 2013
    22 months with no speeding tickets. Aren't you proud of me?

Not only am I proud of you....your wallet is proud of you too!

btw....while we are off topic, try something amazing, go to this site and just put in your address....before you are through you will see your house;
    http://showmystreet.com/

I just hope this isn't a scam and after you do it they rob your house.

• Options
    We are exempt from certain Edmunds rules.

Glad you were around to field that one....as only you could. Beautiful!

Couldn't have said it better myself...without getting into a lot of trouble (sad)

• Options
    "Want today's wi-fi password? Walk the dog, clean your room and take out the trash"

Very clever!

• Options
    Makes us realize how lucky we are to have Kirstie as part of our family

Yes, Sales Frontlines and Therapy Sessions should be allowed to wander a bit....that is why we have lasted so long with our witty dialogue and helpful hints. While other topics come and go, fade in and out, we are still around and going strong. Besides, how many new cars can we buy in a year?

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,345
    22 months with no speeding tickets.

It's a start, so far for me no tickets this millennium (now watch me get one north of the Cheddar Curtain when I go on vacation next week, those cheesehead cops look for IL plates, me and my big mouth).

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    (I think she just hopes to meet a rich kid from Kentucky that has his own BMW SUV)

So she's pursuing the good old MRS degree??
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,179
    I am surprised when buying or owning a car is only about the cost. A car is an emotional thing...it isn't just about the $s and

As long as one has money to cover more than it's necessary in their life, I've got no problem with that. We were here simply discussing what is cheaper, not what is "better". Cheaper is measurable, better is matter of an individual and their abilities and priorities. Got the money, can do whatever ya want.

However, many, perhaps even a small majority of the people do not have the money they actually spend on vehicles and those are ones who find all those phoney justifications to do it anyway. Well, they obviously have the money physically (as long as they did not default), but it often comes at cost of underfunding other, sometimes more important, aspects of their life. They put the desire of breathing new car smell or enjoying newest entertainment option in front of sound emergency savings, health insurance, retirement, or other similar essentials. And it would be fine with me, but when I hear later that this person lost their job and now "it's not their fault" that they lost their house, or better, the government should "help" them with that situation, I lose my cool very quickly. I have hard time to find much sympathy to case like that, because in my humble opinion, it WAS their fault. They had the means, but they chose to spend them on their desires assuming nothing will go wrong. When it does, they blame Bush, Obama, banks, Republicans, Democrats, greedy business, global warming and the boss who looked wrong at them. They never blame themselves and their previous choices. They always think that nothing could be done and their current circumstances could not be forseen. They don't understand what happened and any attempt of explaining it to them brings blank stare at best, or anger at worst.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    I've actually had defendants request a public defender and list a 2-3 year old vehicle in the financial disclosure section of the application. And they get irate when I deny them court appointed counsel. I tell them that I'm not using taxpayer dollars to provide them with an attorney just so they can keep their nearly new car...

• Options
    We were here simply discussing what is cheaper, not what is "better".

I totally agree we have to make responsible fiscal decisions. But, the conversation wasn't about cheaper....the statement was loosely, "It is ALWAYS better to lease than to buy a car".

My point is that there are times (may not be many), when it is better to lease than buy....though I have given examples along with Mike and Stick, there are those that believe it is ALWAYS better to buy.

I'll give an example when it was much better to lease than buy. We'll say a "friend" bought a house that had many faults, it was a new house. It had aluminum wiring which caught on fire, the house leaked whenever it rained.
    This friend needed a reliable car. Normally, he would buy a car, but he knew if he had to dump the house they may come after him, and if he declared bankrupcy they may take his new car. So, he leased a car....they can't take away a leased car if you declare bankrupcy.

So, Never Say Never.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    kyfdx...do you know if the good leases on Infinitis are still in effect for the G or the new Q? I have a new "friend" that is looking at them.

Richard....thanks for eloquently stating our preamble here in SFTSFL. It succinctly defined what we do, and who we are.

Oh...I have only had "warnings" issued...no speeding tickets....since...WOW, probably 1996 (last speeding ticket I was issued, in IN, no less). Pretty amazing given the cars I've driven.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Thanks Richard. Coming from you, that reference means a lot. We were really impressed when we visited. Only real downside is that it is a pretty long drive to get there.

RB, glad you caught the inference there. We already told her not to expect to have the car her first year, and depending on what school she chooses, she may never have one (Northeastern is high on her list, and if she goes there and lives in downtown Boston, it will never happen).

Along with grades, location, parking, and transit opportunities will all be factors. When my son was at school (in Ithaca), there were very limited (and poor and expensive!) public transit options. Combine that with moving off campus, and he needed a car.

• Options
    I just got an email from our car insurance company (Allstate) in Florida, to call them regarding our renewal rates.

They said, that if I did the "Drive Wise" program, they would put a device on the car that would monitor speed and such things as excessive braking. Depending on the results, you could save from 8% to 30% on your yearly insurance cost.

I have no problem with that, we are talking about a Passat....pretty hard to speed in that. But, it does seem to be a bit of an invasion of my privacy.

What do you think?

• Options
    last time I was in the Allstate office making a change (well, last time I dropped them because they got too expensive) they gave me a flyer on that. I never did it. I think the fine print is you only save off a portion of the bill (the smaller part!) but if you want to do it, probably safe enough. I just am reluctant to believe that if the results are you are a "bad" driver, they don't use it to dump you or raise rates (though I think they claim they won't).

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,345
    I don't know about those. Seems to me to be a bit of an invasion of privacy. Plus what do they record and score things on? And how would they determine is safe or not? I would have a lot of questions that im would need answered before I do that.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    I just am reluctant to believe that if the results are you are a "bad" driver, they don't use it to dump you or raise rates

Thanks snake and stick. The agent said if you stop fast a few times, no problem. If you constantly jam on the brakes then you won't get a discount.

We don't drive fast and we usually don't have to jam on brakes. But, I know, if I signed up for this deal I would have to make sudden stops all the time. And, what happens if the light changes to amber and you don't want to make a sudden stop? And, I have to ask, what will be next, a camera over my shoulder.

The only thing is, if I don't do it, what will they think that means?

• Options
    RB, glad you caught the inference there. We already told her not to expect to have the car her first year, and depending on what school she chooses, she may never have one (Northeastern is high on her list, and if she goes there and lives in downtown Boston, it will never happen).

Back in the 70's and early 80's, Northeastern was the safe school for those stretching for BC or BU. Education on par with those but easier to get into. Lots of working class kids commuted to Northeastern and took advantage of the co-op requirement.

In the past 20 years or so, they've really worked hard to raise themselves up to one of the better schools in New England and in reality there aren't many poor colleges around here.

If she goes there she definitely won't have a need for a car. With two T subway/trolley lines, the commuter rail, multiple T bus routes, Hubway and ZipCar all within walking distance of campus, no car is needed. Besides trying to park a car in that area is impossible.
  • Options
    thanks for the feedback. The co-op was one of the big selling points. And absolutely agree at that not being a car-friendly place!

when we visited, we parked (free!) in the admissions garage, then left the car there and took the T downtown. Super convenient.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,472
    My wife went to Northeastern and absolutely loved it. Their Co-Op program is truly amazing, giving students real world experience while paying them too. Again, while it is far from cheap, compared to BU at what, $50K per it is a bargain.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    thanks. Unbiased feedback is always nice to have.

At least it seems we had good taste in schools.

all her applications are in (nice and early!) so now just have to wait to see who accepts her, and more importantly, kicks in enough money so we can afford to send her.

• Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Hey Richard! Like your new user name... Sterling Dawg. If you ever think about a hip hop career as a rapper, you're all set. :-)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
This discussion has been closed.