Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 65
    Congrats--that gives me hope! May you enjoy it fully! :)

Do you mind if I ask what you paid, because this is the exact one I'm waiting for and I'm at week nine.... I'm new to this board and not sure if you can send me a private message or not, but it would be important information to have so I can have something to compare it with.

Anyone else get a package # 2 recently, and if so, what did you pay out the door?

My main concern is I don't want to get last minute stuff added on that I didn't ask for. I picked a dealer that supposedly promises nothing over MSRP, but when I see it on paper, I'll believe it....

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can give me an idea of what to expect!
    I certainly agree--I think too many have got caught up in the buying frenzy and consumers are indeed being exploited. But to the degree we consumers buy into the hype and get too anxious and agree to pay over MSRP, we collude with this un-ethical behavior and allow it to continue.

I am on a waiting list but have been promised nothing over MSRP. (But I'm skeptical, as my nickname states...we'll see what they offer...)

The hybrid market is about to explode within the next two years, and this means competition will be fierce and that means prices will be be better and we'll have many more choices.
  • bob104bob104 Member Posts: 94
    I see an irony in people complaining about dealer markups on Prius. It was only the high price of gasoline that prompted most of this Prius-come-lately demand. Since it was market force, not environmental concerns, that prompted Prius buying, shouldn't it be market force that determines the price?

That said, it does seem that you can still find dealers who have their longterm interests in mind and so they don't anger their customers by overcharging.
    My view is we control only what we can--as an individual, I can say "no" and collectively we can say "no" to over MSRP--goodness, most decent car buying experiences are supposed to be below (not over MSRP).

This is pure exploitation--yes the issue is larger, but that doesn't justify going along with it. We've sold out big time for dependency on foreign oil--would we be in Iraq if they didn't have oil? (not so sure..)

Meanwhile we do have some choices--we can opt for other compacts (I know, gasp) for a year or two till things calm down and we have more choices. Or carpool. Or stick with what you have. Or use a subway/mass transit system if you're lucky enough to have it in your area...

I say folks who charge well over MSRP-- as well as folks willing to pay this-- ultimately chip away at and demean and undermine the entire basic fair trade rules implicit in car buying.

I think we all can make a difference by saying "wait a minute now...". Are we that bad with impulse control? Do we want what we want now and so be it--no matter what? Where are our values? Where are our limits?

I don't know myself, honestly--I'm just asking these questions a lot lately...
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    "A fool and his money are soon parted"

The economic case for the average person buying a hybrid to lower their gas bill is pretty rocky to begin with, but doing so when you pay over MSRP is just plain foolish.

Some people just have more money than brains . You'd be better off buying a Nissan Sentra for about $16,000 selling price after rebate. This car is about the same size as a Prius and gets great MPG with the CVT.

Mark
    I'm hoping people will find this response relevant to the topic, since it addresses the overpricing issue:

Six months or so ago I'd have agreed with you, but now Priuses are actually appreciating rather than depreciating. With gasoline very likely to go up, that Sentra will likely sell like an SUV five years from now. The total cost to own (including amortization, gasoline, battery expense) will very likely be less for the Prius.

From: http://www.nextautos.com/hybrid-madness-used-toyota-prius-averaging-higher-trans- action-prices-new-models

"The average new 2008 MY (Model Year) Prius is selling for an average of $26,672, while used 2008 models with less than 10,000 miles on the odometer are selling for nearly $1300 more, averaging a sale price of $27,945. Even 2007 cars, with on average more than 22,000 miles racked up, are commanding $26,396 – just $276 from the new cars’ average."
    It's nice to hear that the Prius is actually appreciating for right now. But it won't keep doing that, of course. It's not going to keep going up and up...this is
    just an odd time, because we are in the middle of many changes, so the Prius
    folks are taking full advantage.

But if you want to look at the larger picture, and you don't yet own a Prius, you still need to factor in if you are willing to plunk down that much more money --knowing that the entire hybrid market-- as well as the small car market (Honda Fit, etc)-- is going to explode in the next two years. There will be many more choices for fuel economy cars, and with that comes competition and stabilizing of prices..

And the current Prius is do for major re-haul which will then put a halt to the inflated prices of the second generation Prius, although I'm sure it will still get very good re-sale for many years--and if I had one now, I'd likely just hold onto it and not re-sell--a new car means yet more money to fork over...

I think the point is you need to keep your wits about you and not get too swept away with the feeding frenzy. Know you have options, and they are about to get
    a great deal better!

You need to know what your limits are in terms of how much you are willing to pay.

I'm sorry I didn't buy a Prius when tons were sitting on the lot in February and even March...and you could actually get a good 1-2 grand below MSRP--but now, I just don't know if it's worth it--especially with what's coming around in the corner within the next 12-24 months....

It's a tough choice--I remain on the Prius waiting list and we'll see if a fair enough price is offered at the time (if ever it actually arrives!).

I'm fully prepared to say no if after having fully researched close enough alternatives that are just around the corner are $5-$9,000 less...

There's a lot more I can do with that money in the mean-time...

It's a tough choice, but it's good to know there are options...
    Hi, I'm sorry to bug you again, but I need some hope here, s I'm also awaiting a Silver Pine package 2 and it's been almost 10 weeks and I'm still hanging in there, but as folks can see, I am getting ambivalent now and so it helps to hear from folks who have been through the wait line...the dealer tells me my 'number' hasn't changed for two weeks now...argh! :(

I have three questions:

1. Did you pay over MSRP?
    2. Did the car include any surprise/ add-ons that you needed to pay extra for?
    3. How do you like it so far?

I start to read about the 2009 Fit and so forth, and I just don't know if this wait/cost is even worth it.

Can you let us know what it's like for you now that you have it when you get some time?

Any other new owners who waited a good long bit and feel it was well worth the wait AND-- did NOT pay over MSRP ?

Thanks in advance to all who might be able to shed some light so I can keep this in perspective...
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Six months or so ago I'd have agreed with you, but now Priuses are actually appreciating rather than depreciating. With gasoline very likely to go up, that Sentra will likely sell like an SUV five years from now. "

I think this is a temporary trend. As these vehicles get closer to their Hybrid warranty expiration dates (8 or 10 years), a new owner with any sense will realize that a hybrid battery pack replacement may be in store. Note I said MAY be in store. Also, the Prius has a lot of electronics to break, and they are expensive to fix. And the vehicles won't work without those components. For example, if the main display goes out on the Prius, it won't work until fixed. If the DVD system (or other radio system) goes out on most vehicles, the car will still run.

The other factor is that in 2-4 years, there are going to be LOTS of higher MPG vehicles competing, including more hybrids, PHEV, electric, diesels. The current market has been caught by high gas prices combined with most US auto makers not having viable high MPG alternatives. That is going to change quickly.
    "The other factor is that in 2-4 years, there are going to be LOTS of higher MPG vehicles competing, including more hybrids, PHEV, electric, diesels. The current market has been caught by high gas prices combined with most US auto makers not having viable high MPG alternatives. That is going to change quickly."

Yes--That's how I understand it now as well. And I'm sitting here, during this odd sort of in-between time, and not quite sure which way to turn..go with the expensive Prius, or get a decent enough much cheaper compact to hold the fort down over the next couple of years till this all evens out a bit more....I'm opting for the latter...

Any thoughts?
    I bought an 08Touring#6 in Oct. for $2,000 below MSRP, $28,900 OTD in CA, with carpet mats ($200 retail).

I called the same salesman, a very decent guy at Toyota of Santa Maria, (CA), and he said he could sell me a new 08 Prius for a few hundred below MSRP now but I'd have to wait about 6 weeks for the exact thing I wanted, less if I was willing to buy whatever he got sent. There's been a price increase of a few hundred since Oct.

I love the Touring, 15,000 miles now, but it gets 42mpg instead of 44 for the Standard Prius. Consumer Reports thinks it's worth the extra $900 as it performs a bit better in accident avoidance and in braking distance. I wouldn't get it due to mpg trade-off and because the tires are much more expensive to replace, maybe $700-800 a set instead of about $400. Check for yourself. I drive my Touring very mildly so I get 45 mpg. If I had the Standard I'd be getting about 47-48mpg.
    Prius: roomy cabin, convenient and roomy trunk, nice interior, very quiet, great sound system (pkg #6), plenty enough pickup. Only down side is seats with limited adjustability.
    It sure looks like PHEVs will likely become the standard starting in MY 2010. I would guess that there will be a thrall to buy them too. But enough lithium battery to go 40 miles all-electric will add perhaps $7,000-10,000 to the price of a standard Prius. Plug-ins have very high battery expenditure, about 12-14 cents a mile.
    Meanwhile, conventional cars that get mpg in the 40s will be coming on strong too.
    I'd be tempted to wait. Maybe oil will pull back to $100/barrel and the Prius market will loosen up. There's a diminishing return on mpg: 20mpg=600gallonsperyear, 30mpg=400gpy, 40mpg=300gpy, 50mpg=240gpy, 60mpg=200gpy.
  • jrt101jrt101 Member Posts: 3
    I paid msrp plus tax for a package 6 this Tuesday. No talk of decals, floor mats or other nonsense. I was tempted to but an extended service plan but at 1995.00 I said no. My car has a decal on the rear bumper but I did not pay extra for it and it has rug/floor mats in it... no extra charges. I already have 550 miles on it and it is great. This is great technology... when people first see it they say it is ugly, too small and they can't believe that I bought it. When I show them the way it works and tell them it only used 10 gallons of gas in 500 miles... they change their tune. People do not want to like this car because it is different. I wish it was a bit more of a luxury car... but I love it.
  • priuswannabe1priuswannabe1 Member Posts: 2
    On May 30th, I put $250 down on an OTD price of $25.393 (in writing) on an option #2. Today I received a call saying that my car is in, but, that the new price is $25, 994! Yikes! I know that I was already paying much more than I should, so for me this increase is not acceptable. I told them to honor the original price or return my deposit. By the way, the dealer is in the Poconos in Pennsylvania.
    The sales manager was explaining to me that this car has more options such as floor mats (which were already included in writing) and something about a decal ...
    Hi, this is what I was promised a few days after your wait commenced--I got on the wait list with forking over a $500.00 fully refundable, no questions asked 'allocation fee' :

Package #2 (MSRP: $24,309) Includes:
    ----Vehicle Stability Control; Backup Camera; Smart Key System; AM/FM CD w/6 Speakers, Aux Audio Input Miniplug, and MP3/WMA Playback Capability. Also Includes: Cruise Control, Heated Outside Mirrors; 15" Alloy Wheels with Trim Ring; Tonneau Cover; Seatback Pockets.

This is without Taxes and DMV fees.

So $25,994 OTD sounds about right in terms of the MSRP--actually sounds less than what I will be asked likely. (Mine will probably come to something like $27,000 or even $28,000 with all the taxes, etc).

However, I'm not used to paying MSRP for any car, and I think there are some really nice compact competitors coming out--but it depends on how much driving you do and what you want--I agree with others who say that you need to test drive the competition and don't feel you must buy the Prius simply because you have been waiting (often folks feel like they should just get it because they've waiting--they feel sort of obligated or they're all psyched up for it).

You have the right to change your mind. But most folks here do seem to love their Prius!

Good luck with whatever you choose! :)
  • flagg2flagg2 Member Posts: 5
    OK, here is my scenario.

I have a 2005 Package #6 Prius on a 48 month lease. The lease is due March 2009. Yes, I know I shouldn’t have leased it but at that time gas wasn’t quite $2 yet.

The residual value (payoff) is $9750.

I only have 44,000 miles on it and will be way under the mileage restriction of 15K/year.

The Blue Book value on this car is around $21000 if selling to a private party.

Is it possible for me to go ahead and buy it out early from Toyota and then turn around and sell it to a private party?

I am not planning on getting another Toyota so going to the dealership and working out something for a new Toyota is not an option.
  • howachowac Member Posts: 52
    Wow! You are in a very good position with the high demand of Prius lately.

You can definitely contact the bank and get a pay-off amount. Once you pay it off, the car is yours and you will be free to sell it for a profit. You don't have to involve the dealer at all. It's between you and the bank at this point.

Hope this helps!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Just keep in mind.. you will have to pay sales tax, before you then sell it to someone else.. That will cut into your profit some..

If you've still got 6 payments to go... figure another $2000 or so on the payoff.. It might be $12.5K by the time you get title to the car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• aksnycaksnyc Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

Has anyone recently leased a Prius in the tri-state area ? Any ballparks on a low-mileage lease for a Touring with Package 3 ?

Thanks,
    Aks
  • chuck54633chuck54633 Member Posts: 2
    I am casually shopping for a package #2 prius. I'm not in a big hurry to buy, and I am willing to shop around for the best price. I have submitted requests for an online quote to the 4 major dealerships in my area (Santa Barbara, CA). One dealer offered me MSRP with tinted windows, my home town dealer offered me $300 off MSRP. I am still waiting to hear back from the other two. Does $24,149 seem like a fair price for a package #2 given current market conditions, or should I hold out for a better deal?
  • fseaverfseaver Member Posts: 13
    You won't be sorry. Ive had mine 6 months now. Took test drive in the high Sierras, handled just great. Purchased from San Luis Opispo Toyota
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Does $24,149 seem like a fair price for a package #2 given current market conditions, or should I hold out for a better deal?

Have fun actually getting one. In my State it's a 6 month wait no matter what dealer you go to.
    Fact is the Prius can command MSRP or more. If you are getting it for $300 under MSRP then at this time it's a good deal. Next year when the new Prius comes out as well as the Honda Hybrid and the new batch of diesels it might get better.
    But if you have to buy now and you can find an actual car, it sounds reasonable compared to MSRP and a 6 month wait.
  • chuck54633chuck54633 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think I want to get one now before interest rates go up and the value of my gas guzzler goes down even further. I rented a prius from Hertz and drove from Santa Barbara to Reno NV. I absolutely loved it, got 48 mpg even through the sierras.
  • kay_jaykay_jay Member Posts: 33
    I am getting quote for a brand new 2008 Prius package 6 Touring in Driftwood Pearl:

MSRP: $29,000.00
    +Doc Fee: $55.00
    +State Tax: $2,397.04
    +DMV: $268.00
    +CA Tire Tax: $8.75_______
    Total OTD: $31,728.79

This is @ BayArea California. I guess it quite lot, what do you guys say?

Also from other dealer:
    2008 Prius Package 2 in the Magnetic Gray
    OTD will be $26,875

I don't like Magnetic gray color. Also, I thought getting a 2008 Prius will be lot cheaper. I don know....

2009 Prius - Package #5 price this out at $28,723

Other dealer quoted:
    Package #2 - includes cruise control, heated outside mirrors, 15-in. 6-spoke alloy wheels with trim rings, tonneau cover, seatback pockets, AM/FM CD with six speakers, auxiliary audio jack and MP3/WMA playback capability, Smart Key System [1], backup camera [2] and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [3] $24869

Package #4 - includes cruise control, heated outside mirrors, 15-in. 6-spoke alloy wheels with trim rings, tonneau cover, seatback pockets, Smart Key System [1], backup camera [2], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [3], anti-theft system and auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® [4] universal transceiver JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with nine speakers in seven locations, auxiliary audio jack, MP3/WMA playback capability, satellite radio capability [5] and hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [6] wireless technology, and High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and integrated fog lamps $26874

Package #5 - includes cruise control, heated outside mirrors, 15-in. 6-spoke alloy wheels with trim rings, tonneau cover, seatback pockets, Smart Key System [1], backup camera [2], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [3], anti-theft system and auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® homelink] universal transceiver, JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with nine speakers in seven locations, auxiliary audio jack, MP3/WMA playback capability, satellite radio capability [5] and hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [6] wireless technology, High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and integrated fog lamps, and voice-activated DVD navigation system [7] $27574[*]

Package #6 - includes cruise control, heated outside mirrors, 15-in. 6-spoke alloy wheels with trim rings, tonneau cover, seatback pockets, Smart Key System [1], backup camera [2], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [3], anti-theft system and auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® [4] universal transceiver, JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with nine speakers in seven locations, auxiliary audio jack, MP3/WMA playback capability, satellite radio capability [5] and hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [6] wireless technology, High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and integrated fog lamps, voice-activated DVD navigation system [7], and leather-trimmed seats and steering wheel
    $28844

One another dealer quoted: 1. Base Prius--$23,943
    2. Package #2 (HG)--vehicle skid control, smart entry system, rear camera, and audio with MP3 input jack-- $24,518
    3. Package #4 (HK)--Package #2 + foglamps, HID headlamps, 6 CD changer with JBL speakers and Bluetooth technology, alarm system and Homelink--$26,523
    4. Package #5 (NL)--Package #4 + navigation system--$27,223
    5. Package #6 (NW)--Package #5 + leather seats--$28,493

As for the Touring Package, they come in 1 package:

1. Touring Package #6 (NR) Includes: JBL AM/FM 6-Disc CD Changer, 9 Speakers in 7 Locations, Aux Audio Input Miniplug, MP3/WMA Playback Capability, and Hands-Free Phone Capability via Bluetooth; Vehicle Stability Control; Backup Camera; Smart Key System; Anti-Theft System; Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with HomeLink, navigation system, leather seats--$29,513

Sorry to post this very lengthy post :-(
  • jrt101jrt101 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds about right. I know my pkg 6 was just over 31k in Early August when it came in. I have 4,000 miles on it already. I think I am getting the car free with the savings from the suv that I gave up. I think you will love it. I already have a deposit on a 2010.
  • john269john269 Member Posts: 3
    Any thoughts on the relative value of a new 2008 and a new 2009 Prius at this time of year (October)? 2009s have a higher sticker price (by about $500), but a 2008 is a year old now in some ways (i.e., if you sold it in a few years a 2009 would be worth more than a 2008, regardless of miles driven).

Thanks
  • joobeejoobee Member Posts: 2
    I live in northern ca and I am shopping for a new prius-base model. So far I have been quoted msrp of 24,000. But when I look at the base msrp on the toyota website it states 21,500. I understand there is a destination charge of $720ish, however I can't seem to justify the other amount. This is my first new car buying experience and I want to be able to negotiate without feeling like a moron. Anyone purchase one recently?
  • victorias1victorias1 Member Posts: 6
    Check out Ron Cooper at Concord Toyota, 1090 Concord Avenue, Concord, CA 94520. He quoted me - on paper - $700 below dealer invoice on a Prius with the #6 package; forget that MSRP number. In my opinion, the Prius isn't that special when you consider the premium price tag and the replacement cost of batteries. Just alot of green-hype and there are plenty of other options that will also do the job.

I drove the Prius and it is a nice car. Just not sure for the price I want to drive around on a car that seems like it has doughnuts for wheels after having driven an SUV for years. I am checking out all options before I buy.

Ron is a great guy, a straight talker, and there is absolutely no pressure. Good luck - Victoria
  • ekun415ekun415 Member Posts: 1
    Don't pay MSRP for a prius. You can negotiate the price. I have gotten dealers to go as much as 1.3K under MSRP.

Yesterday, I went to Fairfield Toyota (near the Bay Area in CA)and negotiated it down to 23,775$ + tax..etc.
    I decided to think about it and left.

So, today the salesperson "Tito" calls and tells me they can still do the deal. I was cautious because I thought they were just trying to pull me in to renegotiate. I told him I'd only go in if we could do the same deal as what we negotiated the night before. I called him back 30 min later just to confirm that the deal was done since the drive is about an hour from where I was.

So, when I get there, I knew something was up when Tito greeted us and was hiding behind the salesdesk for 10 minutes. He comes out and says I can only give it to you for MSRP. I was pissed and left promptly.

Horrible Experience. I don't like the fact that he blatantly lied twice to me over the phone. Would never go there again.
  • amg61amg61 Member Posts: 18
    Anyone getting the 2009 Prius in the northeast for anything less than MSRP? What are best prices recently including Touring Package #6.

Also, I see package #6 inlcudes Bluetooth capability, but is there an extra charge to actually have the bluetooth set-up? I saw an invoice from a friend with package #6 that also had a $299 Bluetooth Handsfree Phone System charge added on? Thanks.
  • chutistchutist Member Posts: 33
    700 Below INVOICE????

Really? Below MSRP I'd believe but below INVOICE...wow :surprise:

I haven't seen anything close to invoice much less BELOW. I have an offer of 750 of MSRP on an 09 but that's the best I've seen...

Anybody else seeing pricing like this in California? :confuse:

I'm doing trade-off's between other small gas savers...If the price were lower the Prius might be the right choice. ;)
    My original post was questioning Prius prices in the Northeast, not California. I am trying to get an idea about price competitiveness in the New York, New England area. Up until the last month or so, these have been selling at MSRP and higher, as much as 2000 above MSRP, but with the economy changing and the price of oil and gas coming down, I am seeing some inventory not selling as fast. Just wanted to hear if anyone is able to negotiate better on these cars in the Northeast, specifically with package #6.
    Thanks.
  • chutistchutist Member Posts: 33
    This forum is a little hard to follow but I wasn't responding to you.

If you look at the heading on my post you'll see I was responding to "victorias1" post number 1697. ;)
    cool. sorry about that.
  • kkriskkris Member Posts: 3
    Please let me know if this is a good deal for 2009 Prius Package #2:
    Vehicle Base Model: 23375
    Package #2: 575
    Destination charge: 720
    Documentation fee: 88.50
    State and local taxes: 1233.5
    Total license and fees: 271
    Total Price: 26263

The above invoice is from Des Moines area IA.
  • kkriskkris Member Posts: 3
    Please let me know if this is a good deal for 2009 Prius Package #2: The invoice is from Des Moines area IA.

Vehicle Base Model: 23375
    Package #2: 575
    Destination charge: 720
    Documentation fee: 88.50
    State and local taxes: 1233.5
    Total license and fees: 271
    Total Price: 26263

Please let me know if there is anywhere I can negotiate. I need to buy the vehicle this week.
  • alcarmediaalcarmedia Member Posts: 5
    Here's what I was offered in Southern CA this past weekend:

Super White Package 6 w/grey leather int:

MSRP: $28,884
    invoice price: $26,765

sale price: $27,400
    doc fee: $55
    tax: $2,265
    title: $230
    ca tire: $8.75

OTD: $29,958.75

GOOD DEAL ANYONE?
  • iluvnyiluvny Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote for pkg. 6 grey 09 for $28,844 in NY (supposedly $1200 discount from MSRP) so sounds like your deal is pretty good by NY standards. I declined the offer and am waiting to see if they counter- esp. since gas came down from almost $5/gal to now $4.20 around here. Just got back from PA and paid $2.63/gal- ugh NY taxes!!
    Actually, I don't think that quote of $28,844 is below MSRP. If your quote is for the Base, NON-Touring Prius with package #6, MSRP is actually $28,645.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who have purchased a hybrid within the past year or two. If you have a hybrid, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and what hybrid vehicle you own no later than October 30.
  • wyldmikewyldmike Member Posts: 2
    Just got home with my 2009 Prius
    Package #2
    (Toyota dealer in SF Bay Area - Peninsula)

Car - $23,300
    Tax - $1,922
    Doc - $55
    License - $263
    TOTAL - $25,540

Did I get a good deal. Anyone else have better numbers in the San Francisco Bay Area?
  • aaseattleaaseattle Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the Seattle area and am about to submit a request to my local dealers for a price quote. In general, it seems that because of low gas prices and the state of the economy, prices have fallen from MSRP+ to somewhere between Invoice - MSRP. Has anyone been successful in getting an Invoice deal? I'm thinking about waiting for 2010 model, but am considering pulling the trigger now while car sales are low in hopes of getting a bargain...
  • usaf66usaf66 Member Posts: 6
    ">right now I've found there is NO good deals on the Matrix, Honda Fit, or any in those catagories.Because of fuel they are the hottest cars around. I just got "doubled teamed" went in to buy the Matrix basic didn't have the color I wanted next ting I knew 2 guys (step up from saleman) was telling me numbers so fast my head was swimming. All I wanted over the basic was cruise control (which I read on this site can be added) and I wanted to get the bottom line sale number so I could both think about the upgrade and YES compare but said I must sign for some reason (can't remember). My brother-in-law had the same pressure from Chevy's.I love the car but feel I was forced into the deal < :sick: :sick:
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    What does that have to do with Prius?
  • jinashjinash Member Posts: 2
    If you are set on buying a Prius, I would go for the '09. $500 is pretty cheap to pay for a newer model. You would recoup that easily on the resell value.
  • jinashjinash Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, I am currently an HCH owner looking to upgrade. I am seriously considering selling my Civic and picking up a new Prius. I like the extra space and body style of the Prius. Any former HCH owners, or other people with opinions have advice?
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    I look back on the day in Nov.'03 when my wife & I committed to purchasing our '04 Prius and I remember the ominous warnings that so many nay-sayers were screaming so persistantly not to be fooled by the hybrid myth. Well, it's been 95 K miles and I can't imagine a better decision in all my car buying years. The price back then was $20,563.00 and worth every cent. I did try to whittle down the price with no leverage. Back then you were almost laughed at if you tried to get a reduction in price. I even tried to get them to throw in the rugs at no cost. The salesman said, once again, "Nope!" I realized that if I wanted the Prius I would have to accept it that ...."Here's the price ...Take it or I've got ten people who will." As to the car's reliability and those notorious batteries all I can say is balony!! The car is exceptional in all aspects. You wanna know what I like best besides the great milage and the quality of the car. It's the fact that my '04 Prius looks just like the '09 Prius and I think it's true of the 2010 too, or so I've heard. That was unexpected back in '04.
    One last thing..I remember through these last 5 years how much I enjoyed watching gas-guzzling SUV's loading up their gas tanks to the tune of $100 bucks plus while I usually put in $20 plus bucks. It gave me a sense of ..."sure glad I wised up." One great hybrid car!
  • boots3boots3 Member Posts: 5
    I had a 03 HCH, and just yesterday bought a 08 Prius with 17,000 miles on it for $19,900. I loved my HCH, but the wife had an accident in it and totaled it. :cry: Like I said, I only bought the Prius yesterday (11/22/08), but so far I really like the cars ride and all the little extras like the back up camera, integrated I-pod port, and the smart key. I've always really liked the Toyota Hybrid system. Hopefully, I can get the same MPG out of the Prius as I did the HCH, which was around 45 MPG. :)
  • oldcoacholdcoach Member Posts: 28
    You will get every bit of 45MPG , but I would guess about 48 to 50. Enjoy your new toy they are fun. :):):)
  • maxx124maxx124 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a 05 prius on ebay not knowing anything about this model except the price I got it for was $10500 with 100300 miles on it. knowing a toyota with that milage means its just broken in .. this thing is fully loaded to my surprise. can toyota build a car with engineering nobody else can touch. let alone no recalls
    speaking of recalls vw is coming out with one called 2+2 can you imagine the amount of visits to the dealership to get it fixed..
    the only complaint is the nav disk update is a bit pricey when google give it for free
This discussion has been closed.