Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit

Comments

• Options
    jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    2:It puts them in a no prisoners, no compromises position. The stripped-down basic Fit comes in 2007, but the original model is the full model with all the goodies, 4 wheel discs, and likely alloys as well.

Yes I too highly doubt a "DX" model to start ;)
  • Options
    dwlingdwling Member Posts: 11
    There is a wisdom which says, 'seeing once is better than listening a hundred times'. Why just listen and can "confused"? Test drive all the cars you are interested is the only way out.
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    What I am hoping is that they sell two models labeled LX and Sport. None of this DX nonsense. Having the DX/EX trim lines (like the Element had in the beginning) is the worst idea since it leaves most people dissatisfied.

LX: CD player, A/C, tachometer, PW/PM/PL
    Sport: foglights, body kit, rear wing spoiler, sport alloys

Having a reasonably equipped LX will satisfy the people wanting more than just a basic car, but it will not outprice people in the budget market. DX will leave people wanting more, and the only way they can achieve it is through costly accessories.

Then of course when the next generation comes out for MY2008, you can throw in a DX model for the really budget shoppers, but keep the LX and Sport models.
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    ...The 2007 Honda Fit to be unveiled next week will sport the following:

1. L15A VTEC engine (probably rated at 106 bhp SAE 08/04 net, pretty much the same as the 110 ps Japanese rating).

2. Alas, it will NOT use the CVT automatic. :( It will likely use the same five-speed automatic from the 2006 Civic (which fortunately is an excellent unit with crisp, fast shifts and no tendency to "hunt" between gears going uphill, if my test drive experience with the 2006 Civic LX is anything to go by).

3. There will be two trims, Base and Sport.

4. The color choices will be Nighthawk Black, Vivid Blue, Lunar Mist light silver, Milano Red, Storm Silver dark tone silver, Taffeta White, and Blaze Orange.

5. The interior colors will either be Beige or Black.

6. We'll probably use US-market specific double-DIN mount for a normal car stereo or an optional navigation unit/car stereo.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    ...The 2007 Honda Fit to be unveiled next week will sport the following:

1. L15A VTEC engine (probably rated at 106 bhp SAE 08/04 net, pretty much the same as the 110 ps Japanese rating).

2. Alas, it will NOT use the CVT automatic. It will likely use the same five-speed automatic from the 2006 Civic (which fortunately is an excellent unit with crisp, fast shifts and no tendency to "hunt" between gears going uphill, if my test drive experience with the 2006 Civic LX is anything to go by).

3. There will be two trims, Base and Sport.

4. The color choices will be Nighthawk Black, Vivid Blue, Lunar Mist light silver, Milano Red, Storm Silver dark tone silver, Taffeta White, and Blaze Orange.

5. The interior colors will either be Beige or Black.

6. We'll probably use US-market specific double-DIN mount for a normal car stereo or an optional navigation unit/car stereo.

What reliable informant shared this detailed info? Is there more to be found? Where would it be found?
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Why do you think Honda is trying to compete with the Mini? I would think they are trying to compete with the likes of the Yaris, the Scion x'es, the Rio5, the Accent, and the Versa.
    Besause if the Sport version is available, it's a near carbon-clone of the base Cooper in all dimmensions, has the same tires, and virtually identical suspension. For $3-4K less. Of course they will be compared. Of course the Fit(sprot) will be pricey and loaded. So what? Mini should be hung out to dry for even selling the Base model it's such a pathetic car compared to the S. Honda is taking advantage of the micro-sportscar market with this move.(good for them I say.

Oh - about the Accent - yeah, my bad. $14K including delivery charge. Slightly going to get hurt my Honda. I shed a *tiny* tear. lol. :)
  • Options
    mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    The source for this "info" is Honda preview, (A parts dealer in California). http://www.hondapreview.com/fit/index.htm This is the same guy that started all of the "no cvt-low mpg" & "dealer video" rumors that plagued this board last October. He always has specific but not necessarily credible info. The entire rest of the world has this car in a CVT, why in the world would Honda spend extra money to redesign the car with a different tranny that would decrease the mpg stats? - Wait till Sunday.
  • Options
    streetsterstreetster Member Posts: 23
    And yes, i live in the U.A.E (Great Place)
    As you would have seen on the website, we even get the '96 Acura RL over here with the name of Honda Legend (Brand New!). Ok, back to business. Here is everything I know about the Nissan Tiida/Versa. (HATCHBACK)
    First of all let's see what Nissan has to say about it:
    "Zesty in style and ideally proportioned, Nissan TIIDA lets you fulfill your desires and be the envy of all others. It's a modern-day sensation yet classically appealing." - Yes, That's absolutely right.
    Now, here are some pics:

Check this link out: Complete brochure:
    http://www.arabianautomobiles.com/utility/brochure/a_line/tiida_hatch.pdf
    (The car is mentioned as Tiida everywhere)(If you just don't want to read the brochure because it takes a long time to load - then keep reading - I've mentioned nearly everything below but if you want to check out the accesories, then 'I guess' the accesory list available in the brochure)

Interior Features:
    *)Large-size glovebox divided into 2 different zones(Big enough to accomodate a handbag)
    *)Front center armrest console box features a suede-like material (Think '06 Volkswagen Passat)
    *)Twin cupholders for rear passengers integrated into the drop-down armrest (Think '06 Passat again)
    *)Waterproof reversible luggage board
    *)Manually adjustable 'driver seat' which can be slide-adjusted and raised 40mm
    *)Large front door pockets which can accomodate water bottles (1 in each)
    *)Dim lamp available which can be kept turned on for soft ambient lighting
    *)Two LED map lights available in the front (Based in the overhead console
    *)Overhead sunglasses holder
    *)Multitude of storage boxes and pockets available in the cabin
    *)I like this one the most - Rear seats are slidable back wards and forwards. If there is no luggage in the back, just slide the seats and enjoy EXPANSIVE legroom
    *)6:4 splitable rear seats

Here are some brief performance features:
    *)1.6 ltr and 1.8 ltr engines available
    *)Both Steel rims and Alloy wheels available
    *)4-speed automatic transmission (Manual not available - Auto/Manual mode not available)
    *)Super sleek drag coefficient of 0.29cd

Some safety features:
    *)Zone body construction (2 crushable zones like in the sentra etc.)
    *)SRS Dual Airbags
    *)Front seat-belts feature 2-stage load-limiters and pre-tensioners
    *)Bumper integrated halogen fog-lamps and high mount rear-LED lamps for 'information safety'
    *)ABS(Anti-lock brakes), EBD(Electronic brake-force distribution) and BA(brake Assist)

Here are the specifications of the base: 1.6 S:

Engine 1.6 Litre, DOHC 16-valve, 4-cylinder, in-line, Max Power 118 hp/6,000 RPM (SAE gross), Torque 17 kg-m/4,000 RPM (SAE gross)

Fuel System Electronic Fuel Injection Control

Transmission 4 speed Automatic / Mannual

Steering Electronic power assist

Suspension FRONT: Macpherson type
    REAR : Torsion beam type

Brakes Diagonal split dual circuit service brake with tandem master cylinder.
    FRONT: Disc
    REAR : Drum

Overall Length 4205 mm

Overall Width 1695 mm

Overall Height 1540 mm

Wheel Base 2600 mm

Curb Weight 1520 Kgs

Fuel Tank Capacity 52 Liters

Tyres 185/65R15

Seating Capacity 1+4 Seats

Features Driver airbag, engine immobilizer, power & tilt adjustable steering, centre console box, 4 cup holders, accessories power socket, 2 door pockets, rear tonneau cover, 60:40 flip folding rear seat, adjustable rear headrest, front seat belts with load limiter, head lamp levelizer, rear wiper, UV rays reducing windshield, air-conditioner, auto door lock, electromagnetic tail gate opener, keyless entry, radio + cassette player with 4 speakers.

Now these are specifications for the 1.6 SE (Full Options)

Engine 1.6 Litre, DOHC 16-valve, 4-cylinder, in-line, Max Power 118 hp/6,000 RPM (SAE gross), Torque 17 kg-m/4,000 RPM (SAE gross)

Overall Length 4205 mm

Overall Width 1695 mm

Overall Height 1540 mm

Wheel Base 2600 mm

Curb Weight 1550 Kgs

Tyres 185/65R15

Features Driver airbag, engine immobilizer, 15” alloy wheels, power & tilt adjustable steering, front & rear mud guards, centre console box, roof console, 4 cup holders, 2 bottle holders, accessories power socket, 4 door pockets, rear tonneau cover, front seat armrest, 60:40 flip folding rear seat, rear reclining & sliding seat, rear armrest with trunk through access, adjustable rear headrest, front seat belts with load limiter & pre-tensioner, head lamp levelizer, front fog lamps, power door mirrors, power windows, rear wiper, UV rays reducing windshield, air-conditioner, auto door lock, electromagnetic tail gate opener, keyless entry, radio + cassette player with 4 speakers.

Finally, the colors available:

White, Sapphire Black, Crystal Blue(Turquoise), Silver, Red, Twilight Grey, Warm Silver Titanium, Harvest Yellow(My personal favorite)

Phew!! Now the SEDAN
    Note: I will only be mentioning the additional features the sedan has over the hatchback so refer to the hatchback for complete features

What Nissan says: "With its contemporary styling and class-leading levels of interior room and comfort, the new Nissan TIIDA sedan lets you start and end your day with a smile."

Check out the brochure if you want to:
    Remember: I have already mentioned most of the features so the brochure isn't much help.
    http://www.arabianautomobiles.com/utility/brochure/a_line/tiida_sedan.pdf

Interior Features: (Refer to hatchback features and add this)
    *)467 litre capacity trunk

Performance features: (Refer to hatchback features)

Safety Features: (Refer to hatchback features and add this)
    *) Collapsible steering column

Now some pics of the sedan:

Specifications:

Base: (S)

Overall Length 4395 mm

Overall W
  • Options
    streetsterstreetster Member Posts: 23
    The previous message continued here:

Overall Width 1695 mm

Overall Height 1540 mm

Wheel Base 2600 mm

Gross Weight 1530 Kgs

Tyres 185/65R15

Features Driver airbag, engine immobilizer, power & tilt adjustable steering, front & rear mud guards, centre console box, roof console, 4 cup holders, 2 bottle holders, accessories power socket, 4 door pockets, rear parcel shelf, front seat armrest, 60:40 flip folding rear seat, rear armrest with trunk through access, adjustable rear headrest, front seat belts with load limiter & pre-tensioner, head lamp levelizer, front fog lamps, power door mirrors, power windows, UV rays reducing windshield, air-conditioner, auto door lock, electromagnetic trunk opener, keyless entry, radio + cassette player with 4 speakers.

Colors available:
    Same as the hatchback but there is no turquoise or harvest yellow available. But an additional color, white pearl is available.

That was quite an effort. Now the Jazz/Fit

What Honda Says: "Honda's new Jazz rewrites the small car concept - offering benchmark space, functionality, style, performance, fuel economy and world class safety.
    In planning, two design teams (one from Japan and another from Germany) set about to rewrite all the rules. Their innovations have led to a vehicle which is outstanding to drive and fun to own.

During the design process, every part of the Jazz was examined for space efficiency. Engineers have even located the fuel tank beneath the front cabin floor to make efficient use of cabin space. Therefore by centrally locating the fuel tank, Honda has boosted body rigidity, increased crash protection in all directions as well as improving protection of the fuel tank.

Jazz introduces a range of standard features that are often unavailable in this price range. These include driver and passenger airbags, anti-lock brakes, CD player and unique "Magic Seats". "

Colors Available: Tafeta White, Satin Silver, Navy Blue, Mint Opal Green, Ice Blue Metallic, Milano Red, Nighthawk Black, Purple

Specifications:
    Base (LS)

Jazz LS

Engine

Type:1.3 Ltr,SOHC,i -DSI,8 Valves, 4 Cylinders
    Fuel Supply :Electronic Fuel Injection
    Fuel:unleaded Gasoline
    Displacement : 1,339 cc
    Maximum Horse Power Ps/rpm(Nett) :60/5700
    Maximum Torque(Kgm)&(N-m/rpm) (Nett):11.8/2800/ $ 116/2800
    Transmission : Manual/CVT, 5 Speed Forward, 1 Speed Reverse/ Continuously Variable, Automatic Transmission
    Brakes :Brakes(Front/Rear), Disk/ Drum
    Chassis

Suspension(Front/Rear): Mcpherson Strut/ Torsion Beam Axle
    Capacity :fuel tank 42 Ltrs
    Dimensions

Overall Length: 3,830 mm
    Overall Width: 1,675 mm
    Overall Height: 1, 525 mm
    Wheelbase: 2, 450 mm
    Tread(Front/Rear): 1,455/1,455 mm
    Ground Clearance: 125 mm
    Tyres: 175 /65 R14
    Trunk Capacity: 349 Lts
    Exterior

Colored Bumpers
    Door Outer Handles: Black:Body Colored
    Outer Mirrors:Black: Body Colored
    Interiors/convenience

Power steering
    Air Conditioner
    AM/FM CD Player
    Speakers : 4
    Front Power Windows
    Roof Center Antenna
    Power Mirrors
    Power Lock
    Key Less Entry System
    Head Light Adjuster
    Seat

Rear Seat Split 60/40
    Rear Seat Fold-down(Dive Function)
    Rear “Tip-up” Function
    Seat Material: Fabric
    Rear Crush Hook
    Safety

Dual Front Air bags
    ABS
    Immoboliser

Full Options (ES)

Engine

Type:1.3 Ltr,SOHC,i -DSI,8 Valves, 4 Cylinders
    Fuel Supply: Electronic Fuel Injection
    Fuel: Unleaded Gasoline
    Displacement: 1,339 cc
    Maximum Horse Power Ps/rpm(Nett): 82/5700 Gross
    Maximum Torque(Kgm)&(N-m/rpm) (Nett): 12.9(127 ) 2800 Gross
    Transmission: Manual/CVT :5 Speed Forward, 1 Speed Reverse/ Continuously Variable, Automatic Transmission
    Brakes: Brakes(Front/Rear):Disk/ Drum
    Chassis: Suspension(Front/Rear): Mcpherson Strut/ Torsion Beam Axle

Capacity

Fuel Tank: 42 Ltrs
    Dimensions

Overall Length: 3,830 mm
    Overall Width: 1,675 mm
    Overall Height: 1, 525 mm
    Wheelbase: 2, 450 mm
    Tread(Front/Rear): 1,455/1,455 mm
    Ground Clearance: 125 mm
    Tyres: 175 /65 R14
    Trunk Capacity: 349 Lts

Exterior

Colored Bumpers
    Door Outer Handles: Black: Body Colored
    Outer Mirrors: Black: Body Colored
    Interiors/convenience

Power steering
    Air Conditioner
    AM/FM CD Player
    Speakers: 4
    Front Power Windows
    Full Power Windows
    Roof Center Antenna
    Power Mirrors
    Power Lock
    Key Less Entry System
    Head Light Adjuster
    Seat

Driver Seat Height Adjuster
    Seat Back Pockets(Driver)
    Seat Back Pockets(Asst.)
    Front Dive Down Asst. Lever
    Rear Seat Split 60/40
    Rear Seat Fold-down(Dive Function)
    Rear “Tip-up” Function
    Seat Material: Upper Grade Fabric
    Rear Crush Hook
    Safety

Dual Front Air bags
    ABS
    Alloy Wheels
    Immoboliser

THATS ALL ;)
    Hope you don't get tired reading this :D :P
  • Options
    and Honda Preview got their info via Temple of Vtec per Paul Brown - A very credible source at a major Honda dealership... :surprise:
  • Options
    So was this the credible guy that claimed he had a dealer preview video last October that he never could produce? That had us all going for a week on Edmunds, fitfreak, and TOV!
    There is a another fellow (mtnviewguy188)on fitfreak that claims his dealer source at Torrence Honda says we will have the cvt-7. You can hear anything you want, the only reliable source is the finished product revealed by American Honda, hopefully on Sunday!
  • Options
    I want to give the original source the benefit of the doubt and believe him. This is also the second time he has posted information.

However, there are a few reasons that I will doubt which automatic transmission it will be until Sunday at NAIAS.

1. The L-series engine was designed for use with a CVT transmission (or 5-speed manual), but not a regular gear automatic. The L-series engine is sold in the Fit/Jazz, Fit Aria/City, and the JDM-only Airwave, Mobilio, and Mobilio Spike. Maybe some others too. In all of those models including the Fit/Jazz which is sold in almost every country Honda operates in, the only transmission choices are the 5-speed manual and/or CVT/CVT-7. There is no 5-speed automatic...yet.

2. As far as I know (and I even wrote Honda a letter asking...and received a response), the US will be getting a variation of the CURRENT generation Fit/Jazz. Incidentally the current generation is currently 4 1/2 years old. Is Honda going to introduce a new transmission on a car that will be completely redesigned in a relatively short time?

3. Cost? The US-market Fit is not exactly going to be Honda's cash cow. These cars will boost sales, introduce new customers to the brand, and of course give people like us a car we want :D . However, due to the low profit margins on a vehicle like this, it seems kind of silly to introduce a new transmission (on this engine), and incur costs when they are already spending a bit on reaching DOT/EPA regulations and making some changes suited towards US demographics.
  • Options
    shneorshneor Member Posts: 66
    I heard through a Honda dealer that it will sell in the $12K-$13K range.
  • Options
    Based on currency exchange rates for EU / UK market Jazz your right on the head for 12 to 13 K - for the base model.
    Of course who knows what a 1.5 VTEC and extras will ad to $ over the 1.3 across the pond... :confuse:
  • Options
    You can never simply exchange the currency to find out what price it will be. There are far too many factors: import surcharges, sales tax, registration fees. For example, in European countries the VAT (sales tax) is *usually* already included in the price.

Honda Jazz
    UK: (current exchange rate 1.7578 US$ = 1 UK£)
    1.2 S ($15 500)
    1.4 SE ($18 800)
    1.4 Sport ($20 600)
    *add £1 000 ($1 750) for CVT on 1.4 models

The prices in most other European countries are lower than UK, but still considerably higher than what the US will pay.
    Austria: $14 500 - 22 200
    Germany: $13 300 - 20 500
    Hungary: $12 800 - 19 400
    *proof that you can't compare between countries. Austria and Germany border each other and both use the Euro.

If the US-market Fit was this expensive, it would price it out of the market completely. You can probably expect (without destination surcharge) the Base to run at US$13k and the Sport to be about US$15k. Again, while prices shouldn't be compared between countries, they will be closer to the JDM Fit than the EUDM Jazz.
  • Options
    oldone1oldone1 Member Posts: 9
    Does anybody see something wrong with this picture? A perfectly good web site with our E-mail addresses and we have to wait for the Detroit Auto show to get the facts!!! If any of their reps snooped into these forums they might get a clue.
  • Options
    I am willing to bet on the following, come Monday morning:

1. We will all have e-mails from Honda telling us about the Fit.
    2. There will be a nice new teaser page on Honda.com with lots of pictures and new information.
    3. The dealerships will suddenly know something.

Why Honda kept the current teaser site up, but hidden from view in the beginning is beyond me. However, now that it has been linked from the main page for a while, I think the e-mail thing is primarily for people who don't know anything about the car and don't know where to look. I have found that the average person who considers a car simply as transportation can wait 4 weeks or 4 months without losing sleep over information like this. It's us fanatics that are gritting our teeth just to get through 4 more days. ;)
  • Options
    The problem is... Take those U.K. prices and deduct 35%. U.S. has no VAT added into the normal price.
    So we get:
    1.2 S ($15 500) $10075(not sold in the U.S, though)
    1.4 SE ($18 800) $12220
    1.4 Sport ($20 600) $13390
    *add £1 000 ($1 750) for CVT on 1.4 models $800(automatics are usually sold at cost, or a flat ~$800 in the U.S. due to the demand, a plus for us over here)

That puts an automatic Fit at 13,020 or so with automatic and the sport version, which we are evidently getting now instead of the 1.2/1.3 version, so as to compete with the base Mini/eat everyone's marketshare - at 14,190 - though it will likely be priced at $13995 to further do damage to the competition.

I think a $12995/13995 is pretty cose to what we will see, with the manual models going for $800 or so less. Honda's going to sell more of these than VW did Bugs. Lol.

P.S. I'm going to the auto show myself. I'll report on it on Sunday night :)
  • Options
    I have heard that the base will be equipped at the LX level, rather than DX. For that reason, Honda will actually want some overlap with the Civic. If they offer a top of the line, very well-equipped Fit Sport at $13995 with automatic, less than the Civic DX, they will have some cannibalization of Civic DX and LX sales. Regardless of size and body type, that low of a price will be somewhat detrimental to the Civic.

I'm thinking the following for the 2007 Fit:
    LX 5-speed: $12995
    LX A/T: $13795
    Sport 5-speed: $14395
    Sport A/T: $15195

Oh, and plekto? Make sure you take along your best reporting skills. We want nothing but the best information. ;)
    Do you have a digital camera to take with you?
  • Options
    I'm thinking the following for the 2007 Fit:
    LX 5-speed: $12995
    LX A/T: $13795
    Sport 5-speed: $14395
    Sport A/T: $15195

Very realistic price estimates in my book too...
    But have you seen the College Hills Temp Accessory page.
    The ad-on trinkets still seem the usual Honda pricey.. :confuse:
  • Options
    Sure do :)
    I think overlap is going to happen - and it won't canabalize sales. Why? Because Honda sells the same car in two-three sizes. That's always been their idea. People who want a small sedan won't buy a smaller Fit anymore than people who want a Highlander will buy a Rav-4 over at the Toyota dealership, even though there is a point where the prices overlap.

It will be fine :)
  • Options
    makabemakabe Member Posts: 50
    The Fit comes in two trim levels in Mexico, the LX and EX. The prices in US$ are:

LX 5-speed $13440
    LX CVT $14855
    EX 5-speed $14855
    EX CVT $16270

The EX and LX seem to be nearly identical with the differences centering mainly on safety. Both have 109 HP 1.5L engines, standard A/C, Power Windows, Power Door locks, Power Steering, Front Disk/Rear Drum brakes (EX gets ABS), 14" 175/65 wheels/tires, AM/FM/CD 4 speaker stereo. The LX has only a driver's side airbag. The EX has driver and passenger airbags. Interestingly, there are no side airbags. Honda in mexico's slogan must be "safety for everybody in the front seat of an EX as long as you don't get hit in the side."

Honda made some interesting choices with the Mexican Fit to load it up with power-everything, but leave out most of the airbags. Hmmm. You'll enjoy your car while you last I guess...
  • Options
    bostonjazzbostonjazz Member Posts: 51
    [Nothing new in terms of specs - but BUILDING BUZZ]

Automobile Magazine focusing on the Fit:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0602_honda_fit/

"Look for a 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine and possibly a continuously variable transmission, since that's offered in Japan."

And, a Fit/Versa/Yaris article from Bloomberg is the LEAD STORY in Google News at the moment:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=av5teckzbM_8&refer=asia

This article was out of Tokyo with similarly nothing much in the way of new info. I think I recall this tidbit but maybe not: "Honda President Takeo Fukui on Dec. 22 said the automaker may expand its factories in East Liberty, Ohio, and Alliston, Canada, to meet growing demand for its Civic and Fit compact cars if demand rises in 2006. He expects to sell 4,000 to 5,000 Fits every month in the first year of releasing the model in the U.S. "

BRING IT ON!
  • Options
    http://autoshow.msn.com/as/gallery.aspx?shw=autoshow2006

Click on the little Picture of the Honda Fit. Notice the caption. I really hope this name change is true.

Also, I think it debuts there - I see no mention of the L.A. Auto Show having it - my bad. I heard "Auto show" and figured it was this weekend. Oh well it still will be fun to see the Yaris and all the other goodies. :)
  • Options
    "Click on the little Picture of the Honda Fit. Notice the caption. I really hope this name change is true."

No, it will be the Fit. The only reason they said Jazz is to be as "accurate" as possible. The car shown in the picture is in fact an i-DSI Jazz, so we can probably assume European market...UK to be specific with the right-hand drive.
  • Options
    homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I just stopped at local Honda dealer - the salesman claimed owner was on some Honda council, and said the car would be called the "City" in US. I know that name has been used before by Honda in Japan, but that's out of left field. He also claimed that both the 1.3 and 1.5 engines would be available, priced between 12K and 15K. Supply would also be very limited (15 - 20K units per year)until US production started.

I can't help but think we are hearing guesses (certainly from this guy) based on European data, etc.

Oh, by the way, he said March was the initial plan, but now we should not expect sales to start until "late April".
  • Options
    This salesman has no idea what he is talking about. Yes, the price he gave you was correct, but the car will be called the Fit.
    For the past few years, Honda has owned the rights to the Fit name in the United States, and they are not going to drop it now. The only other name the Fit could possibly have is Jazz. Now, if the US gets the 4-door "Fit Aria" eventually, which is known as the City in most of the world, it would be called the City in the US, but that's not happening now. The US is getting the 5-door. Also, haven't you been looking at Honda's website???? It says Fit with the logo and everything.

Regarding engines, the US is only getting the 1,5L VTEC. Although the 1,3L i-DSI is a great engine, and has plenty of power, it would probably be too small for the US market. If a fuel-efficient engine is introduced, it will probably be in the next generation Fit and it will be similar to the 1,5L i-DSI sold in Asia.

15-20k units per year. That's nonsense. Look at post #1292..."[Takeo Fukui] expects to sell 4,000 to 5,000 Fits every month in the first year of releasing the model in the U.S."

Was this salesman the Senior Sales Representative, or just one of the lower level salespeople? Go back and tell him it's a little late for rumors.
  • Options
    georgetgeorget Member Posts: 48
    Nothing really new except the man says "We'll get the latest version of this tiny, B-segment Honda" Now that could mean the latest MMC or perhaps he does not know anything.Lots of nice big pictures of a right hand drive (classic) model.

link
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Are dimensions of existing FIT models posted somewhere? I am most interested in front and rear legroom.
  • Options
    I don't think this has legroom, but it still has plenty of other important dimensions...in metric.

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/fit/dimensions/index.html
  • Options
    jterranjterran Member Posts: 3
    Of course it's called the FIT. It's already on the Honda website. Amazing how out of touch sales people are.
  • Options
    atlcargirlatlcargirl Member Posts: 1
    You just happened to meet a salesperson that was completely out in left field. The fit is due to arrive sometimes in the spring. I work for Honda, I am myself am unsure as to the exact date. I am looking forward to having a pre release drive of the new Honda Fit. I drove the Ridgeline about a month before they were available for purchase and it was a neat experience. Once I find out real information that I can share with the general public in regards to the Honda Fit, I will pass it on.
  • Options
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Check this web page:

http://tinyurl.com/cswte

And you will get the schedule for the unveilings tomorrow. The Fit announcement will be the 12th unveiling for the press tomorrow, so it will probably happen late afternoon-early evening Detroit time.
  • Options
    4:30 - 4:55 pm according to the NAIAS website

http://www.naias.com/section.asp?sectionID=20&categoryID=7

The floor opens at 10:00 am. I guess there will be just an empty spot for the Fit until the afternoon. :(
  • Options
    coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    Today is the day right?

Where is our news?

Iwant the update!!!! :):) :P
  • Options
    Thanks. Looking at some online coverage now.
  • Options
    Is there any live streaming or local news we can get a URL to?
  • Options
    Ok it's 4:50 and very quiet. I am about to explode with anticipation. It's kind of like Christmas morning!
  • Options
    TORONTO, Jan. 8 /CNW/ - The new 2007 Honda Fit, a subcompact 5-door
    hatchback set to go on sale in Canada the beginning of April, made its debut
    today during a press preview at the North American International Auto Show in
    Detroit. As one of Honda's hottest selling models in both Asia and Europe, the
    Fit is designed to enter the North American market as leader in the subcompact
    segment with class-leading feature content, refinement, interior
    functionality, sporty driving character and high levels of standard safety
    equipment. The Fit will make its Canadian debut at the Montreal International
    Auto Show on January 19.
    "We will be bringing the five-door Honda Fit hatchback to Canada this
    spring because of the popularity here of hatchbacks and the desire for
    excellent fuel efficiency," said Jim Miller, executive vice president of Honda
    Canada Inc. "And we are confident that Canadians will embrace the Fit because
    of its overall value, full complement of standard safety features, unique
    convenience features and fun-to-drive performance. The Fit is ideally suited
    to 'fit your life' and fit the things in your life because of its large
    interior and flexible seating configurations."
    Built on Honda's legendary foundation for dependability, quality and
    reliability, the Fit emphasizes style, technology and value. It features a
    109-horsepower, 1.5-litre engine, a 5-speed manual transmission or an
    available, first-in-segment 5-speed automatic transmission. Fit features a
    generous interior with multiple seating and cargo configurations to carry a
    wide assortment of various-sized cargo.
    In Canada, Fit will be offered in three trim levels with a base DX model,
    LX and Sport. The Fit Sport model features wheel-mounted paddle shifters (with
    the automatic transmission option), and includes an underbody kit, rear
    roofline spoiler, fog lights, security system with keyless remote entry,
    cruise control, leather-wrapped steering wheel and 15-inch alloy wheels with
    P195/55R15 tires. The Fit Sport also offers a premium 160-watt, AM/FM/CD audio
    system with six speakers, MP3/WMA playback capability, five-mode equalizer and
    an auxiliary audio jack for input from portable music players.
    Inside of Fit is a surprisingly large passenger and cargo space for both
    maximum comfort and utility. At the foundation is Fit's Magic Seat(TM), an
    innovative 60/40 split rear seat that allows the seatbacks to fold down or the
    seat bottoms to flip up, providing four distinct seating and cargo carrying
    configurations (refresh mode, tall object mode, long object mode and utility
    mode) in addition to the standard five passenger mode.
    With all the seats in the upright position, the Fit seats up to five
    adults with a passenger volume of 2551 litres (90.1 cubic feet) and all their
    stuff with 603 litres (21.3 cubic feet) of cargo capacity behind the second
    row, which is comparable to larger vehicles. In order to help maximize Fit's
    useable interior space, Honda located the fuel tank in a central location
    towards the middle of the vehicle. This allows the cargo floor in the rear of
    Fit to be relatively low, thus increasing the interior volume.
    The 1.5-litre, SOHC, 16-valve, 4-cylinder VTEC engine generates
    109 horsepower @ 5800 rpm and 105 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4800 rpm. The
    compact and efficient powerplant features Honda's innovative Variable Valve
    Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC(TM)) which provides highly efficient
    operation at low engine speeds and extended performance at high engine speeds
    to boost fuel economy and power while lowering emissions.
    Refinement is further enhanced with electronic drive-by-wire throttle
    control for quick throttle response, smooth automatic transmission shifts (on
    automatic transmission models) and precise fuel delivery to the engine. In
    addition, Fit employs a compact, efficient and highly responsive electric
    power steering system that contributes to higher fuel economy since engine
    power is not needed to operate a hydraulic system.
    The suspension set-up for the Fit is a combination of a front MacPherson
    strut/rear torsion beam with trailing arm. The compact front suspension and
    rear torsion beam were both designed to allow for a large passenger cabin with
    a low floor to maximize the cargo carrying capacity.
    Already a leader in vehicle safety as demonstrated by Honda's "Safety for
    Everyone" initiative, Honda continues to implement leading airbag technology
    in all vehicles regardless of size or price. Fit offers a full complement of
    standard airbags on all trim levels, including dual-stage/dual-threshold front
    airbags, dual front side airbags and side-curtain airbags. Standard active
    safety equipment includes anti-lock braking system (ABS) and electronic brake
    distribution (EBD) for enhanced braking performance.
    Fit comes with standard amenities such as an AM/FM/CD audio system, power
    windows and a two-tone interior. The 2007 Fit will be supported by a wide
    range of Honda Genuine Accessories so that owners can personalize their cars
    inside and out.
    There will be a sporty accessory package available on all trim levels
    that features a sport muffler, 16-inch wheels, a sport grille and a number of
    other accessories. There are also coloured accent packages for the interior in
    Blue, Red or Silver that include steering wheel covers, shift knobs, switch
    panels and other interior items.
    A consumer preview web site for the Fit will be available as of Monday,
    January 9, at www.honda.ca/fit. Pricing for the 2007 Honda Fit has not yet
    been determined.

Honda is the world's preeminent maker of engines for automobiles,
    motorcycles and power equipment. With 124 manufacturing facilities in 28
    countries worldwide, Honda now attracts nearly 20 million customers annually.
    Honda Canada manufactures the Honda Ridgeline, Civic and Pilot, and the
    Acura CSX and MDX at its two plants in Alliston, Ontario.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/...6/08/c0558.html
  • Options
    makabemakabe Member Posts: 50
    For text, images, specifications and video, go to hondanews.com
  • Options
    starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    The dot in the US-market Fit is colored blue, BTW.

As expected, Base has power windows, locks, ABS on disc/drum f/r brakes, torsion beam rear suspension, side curtain airbags standard. Sport has fog lamps, spoilers, cruise control, leather steering wheel, MP3 jack, upgraded 6spkr stereo, security system/remote entry, available paddle shift auto.

EPA estimates are somewhat disappointing, not much different than the 06 Civic:
    manual 33/38
    5sp auto 31/38
    Passenger capacity at 90.1 cu ft is also about the same as a Civic.

Dealer added accessories took similar to what Scion has.

http://hondanews.com/CatID2150
  • Options
    I guess the horrible rumors last fall were true. No CVT and Gas mileage that stinks! And an April release date. After waiting 3 years, I AM disappointed.
  • Options
    http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/index.aspx

While the lack of CVT, is a dissapointment, the gas mileage is also kind of sad. I was expecting 33 in the city for the manual, but the highway should have reached 40. The problem with the automatic's mileage is the lack of CVT.

Oh well, look at the bright side. Nice list of standard features on a $13k car. Plus lots of standard safety features including the side-curtains which in my opinion is a BIG plus.
  • Options
    fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    Ok, so the mileage isn't better than the Yaris.. but it's a good looking versatile car :-). I think carmakers face a dilemma when choosing engine size as the US market would collective laugh at a 1.3 litre engine, especially when no car on the road in the US has anything that small.

I'm just glad they're not going with the honda colors of white, black, silver, gold... blah!

Also on the plus side is that Hondas tend to meet or beat EPA estimates in the real world... while other cars usually fall way below.
  • Options
    What were the colors, and did you see any tan interiors?
  • Options
    That's much worse mileage than any model they sell in Japan. They upped the power but lost the ULEV certification as well - all to gain 10HP or so. I'd trade 10 or 15HP for 10 or 15 MPG anyday.

Honda better give us a model with the 1.3L engine and 50mpg highway or else it's going to just be another microbox lost in the crowd at this rate.

OTOH...
    Modifying a model from overseas to U.S. specs should be a snap - now that the 1.5L is available here, bringing in a 1.3L model or a DX from Canada should be possible.
    Shoot, just drop the engine from the U.K. model in it - instant 50mpg.
  • Options
    I admire your positive thinking, but this is what it will be. One bright spot is that the did give us the refresh and long mode of the magic seats. The U.K. doesn't have that. While I am bitterly disappointed at Hondas choice not to use the CVT, (and I think this causes the poor gas mileage even more than no 1.3l engine)
    The standard list of features is impressive.

I like this car-- but now I have an ethical problem. I told all my SUV loving friends that I would never buy another car that didn't get at least 40mpg. I now drive a Toyota Prius, and was thinking of trading it for a Fit. I just dont know anymore! Hmmm
  • Options
    txptctxptc Member Posts: 30
    EPA estimates are somewhat disappointing, not much different than the 06 Civic:
    manual 33/38
    5sp auto 31/38

Well, that seals it...Honda just lost a sale to me. The gas mileage sucks...obviously they didn't want to beat the competition at that. Only match it. Just another example of auto companies giving US comsumers the 2nd best choices. Obviously they want to sell their overpriced hybrids as the only high mileage vehicles. Well, they won't sell anything to me at this point unless they come along with something that gets at least 37-40 city and 45-50 on the highway. I can get 25-30 mpg with my PT Cruiser which has horrible aerodynamics and is 800 lbs heavier. Also, the Fit barely beats the Civic gas mileage and is worse than the Toyota Corolla mileage. Come on Honda, give us something with fantastic gas mileage!
  • Options
    "Shoot, just drop the engine from the U.K. model in it - instant 50mpg."
    The only Fit/Jazz motor that can achieve 50 mpg (on the highway, not combined) is the 1,2i i-DSI.

...and the US engine is the same as the one sold in Japan, but for some reason the mileage is lower.

One thing I noticed is it's LONG!
    157.4 inches (compared to 150)
    Those US bumpers must add a lot, because they wouldn't have added anything to the car itself.