Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit

Comments

• Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Raychuang, you have a CVT. Do you ever notice a "rubber-band" feeling (similar to what the article stated) when you drive your CVT?

Actually, it's more a "slipping clutch" feeling. But what is so funny is that when you accelerate on a CVT-equipped car it "locks" itself at one RPM (3000 RPM in my case) as the transmission adjusts its gearing ratio continuously during acceleration.
  • Options
    mikecaponemikecapone Member Posts: 47
    CVT vs. manual is one thing, but CVT vs. regular automatic is a whole other deal. I'll take the CVT over the other any day of the week.
  • Options
    edouardedouard Member Posts: 25
    Raychuang, you have a CVT. Do you ever notice a "rubber-band" feeling (similar to what the article stated) when you drive your CVT?

I totally understand the frustration that can come from learning a manual.
    However, I guess manuals aren't for everyone...not even in Europe. Manuals only occupy 90% of sales. That means 10% of the buyers still don't want them.

In France Manual occupy 93% of sales, it use to be 95%, anyway I'm pretty sure no more than 10% of the people here have even test drive an auto transmission, and no ione offer you to drive one at the dealer...they just don't have one to drive! Now if you go to a Mercedes dealer it's an other story...
    I bet it's not any different in Italy or Spain...I know that in Northen Europe they have more auto transmission.

No rubber band feeling on my Jazz CVT 7, just a great feeling of smoothness and efficiency! My vote goes definitely for the CVT over the sick shift!
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    "In France Manual occupy 93% of sales, it use to be 95%, anyway I'm pretty sure no more than 10% of the people here have even test drive an auto transmission"

Actually, I was only giving a very general estimate, and the number of manuals in most countries (apart from some northern European countries) is certainly higher. In Central Europe, automatics are practically nonexistant except in high-end vehicles such as Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, etc. However, even in those the automatics are relatively rare. I know one of my cousins who is 15 said that he has only seen an automatic once in his life. Another one didn't even know what an automatic was. :)

Anyway, I would definitely take a CVT over a regular automatic. It's just that I would prefer the manual overall.

By the way, I finally had a chance to speak to a senior sales manager yesterday who actually seemed to know what he was talking about. He mentioned that Honda had just informed them that they would be giving the dealership a "new model presentation" on the Fit sometime in the beginning of January, so the dealership could see what the Fit would look like. This is the first time they will have a chance to see the US-market version of the vehicle. I think this further discredits the story that caused the big mileage-worry fiasco from the dealership receiving information back in November.
    Oh, and he expects an April arrival.
  • Options
    dwlingdwling Member Posts: 11
    I found your statement that your car's CVT locked itself at one RPM (3000RPM) rather strange. I therefore drove my 2005 Honda with the CVT to examine the movement of the CVT. I found the RPM meter moves in relation to stepping on the accelerator and the speed of the car.

I recall my Renault auto transmission at one time got stuck at one gear and I took it to the Renault dealer. It happened after I stepped on the gas to the maximum until rev meter shot to the red line. I was told by the dealer that many European cars were made in this way to protect the engine from excessive revolution.
  • Options
    bostonjazzbostonjazz Member Posts: 51
    FYI, very good, in-depth review of the Yaris - with passing mention of the Fit - in USA TODAY today.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2005-12-29-yaris_x.htm

Very interesting conclusions, and really fun to see the competitive battle about to begin getting set up.
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Toyota won't make a Scion competitor, so the Yaris is lacking in options, space, and economy. The note about it being a best seller for Toyota in Europe is because they offer better engines over there. DUH.

It's a hopelessly adequate, boring attempt at a car to get buyers into the "trade up" scenario. Just like what's not working for GM lately.

I think the main competition will be between the Versa and the Fit, both of which are going to eat the Yaris, Rio, and Aveo for lunch.
  • Options
    jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    The audio portion of the online USA today report goes out of it's way to probe Toyota pricing. The reviewer goes on to say that even though Toyota is saying starting under 13K, the base model doesn't even have a radio! :P
    I'll bet a Honda Fit with standard tiered accessory pkg's will offer more for the $$$ ;)
  • Options
    It will be kind of hard to compare the Fit to the Yaris because they are different body styles. While I predict the Yaris 4 door will do OK other than the fact it looks like a mini-Corolla, the 3 door I am unsure about. Usually it's better to make a 3 door somewhat sport-oriented and make the more useful 5 door family/utility oriented. Well, the 3 door Yaris is neither sporty nor particularly versatile.

The Versa looks like a mini-Quest, but I do agree that both Honda and Nissan will become the leaders for the US small car market.

About the article...
    "But $12,000 to start is a fair guess, and for that price you won't get a radio, possibly not a tachometer, definitely not anti-lock brakes."
    I hope this isn't true. The Fit will definitely have ABS. In Europe all Jazzes have a radio and all of them except for the 1,2i S (Base) have a CD player. The Fit/Jazz is universally equipped with a tachometer. Even the base Jazz 1,2i S and Japanese Fit 1,3Y have it standard. According to the picture of the 1,3Y on Honda Japan's website, the base has power mirrors and AC too.

If Honda USA is able to include expected comforts (Air, CD player, power windows, mirrors, locks, tachometer) standard they will have a winner. I hope they do a LX and Sport version, not a DX and Sport.

"So why bother introducing a subcompact into the size- and space- and power-loving American market? Because 45% of small-car owners...eventually trade up "
    Funny, but for me it's the other way around because I LIKE small cars. My first car was a 2,0i Accord. Now an "interim" 1,6i Corolla. Then the 1,5i Fit. I'm actually "trading down" :shades:

"What's the safety gear? Basic belts and front air bags. You have to pay extra for front-seat, side-impact bags; front- and back-seat head-curtain air bags; anti-lock brakes."
    ...at least Honda knows what they're doing. My God! It's 2006 in 36 hours. I would think the days of "the less you pay the less safe you are" would be over. We know that the Fit will have side airbags and ABS standard, and I personally am thinking/hoping that the reason Honda took so long to introduce the Fit was the addition of side-curtains. After all, they did say by the end of CY2006 each vehicle except for Insight/S2000 would have them.

Liftback? I don't think so. When I hear the word liftback I think of sporty. Like the Scion tC or the Celica. Nope, this is a hatchback. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    Any new info, Im saving money to buy a car i haven't seen yet.( Ha ha). You guys should be the salemen/marketing for Honda. :):) :P
  • Options
    earthearth Member Posts: 76
    Lets see now Moderator, you click on the Fit button to take you to the Fit Board, but instead you are taken to another site and required to click on another button to get to the Fit Board. What logic is that ? I know, the Fit is not out yet, but get real. We are talking, and waiting for the darn thing to come out, which it will soon. So, please just have one button click, and we are at the Fit Board. Simple

Try to do the same with the new Yaris Board that will come out.
  • Options
    ludexrludexr Member Posts: 20
    NAIAS 2006 "North American International Auto Show in Detroit" Link to preview: http://autoshow.msn.com/as/preview.aspx?idx=5&shw=autoshow2006
    Any members going to Detroit, take pictures & find out spec..
  • Options
    The Fit comes with a CD player, ABS, side airbags, power windows, and all the typical stuff. For $13-14K or so from the looks of it. The Versa is close, but it has the same flaw - it's not a stand-alone car like the Mini or the Fit. It's a "basic car so you trade-up later" vehicle.

It's better, though, than most of the others, I'll give them that. Nissan and Mazda currently offer the best cars for the dollar. But the way the seat folds and the interior - it feels cheaper than the Fit, at least from the pictures. And the rear seats on the Fit - worth $1000 to me right there, as I actually do carry stuff and middle area cargo option is great. You also don't have to play the "25% extra for options" nonsense that you do for most cars. Honda intends to sell this as a stand-alone replacement for the market segment left open by the Civic and yes, you get very few options.

$13-$14K will buy you a car with all the goodies. It's exactly how they sold Civics in the past, and partly WHY as well.(just this time A/C will be standard unlike on the DX models of old)
  • Options
    Now that Honda will soon officially unveil the US-market Honda Fit, here's my guess on what the final configuration of the car will be:

1. It will be a five-door hatchback based on the mid-model change (MMC) Fit released in Japan on December 8, 2005.

2. It will have the MMC-updated L15A VTEC engine rated at around 108 bhp (SAE 08/04 net) which meets ULEV Level-2 emissions certification.

3. The instrument cluster will be almost the same as as the current Fit, though we'll see a temperature gauge, something not seen on Fit/Jazz models in the past.

4. The center console will have the same climate controls as the current Fit/Jazz, but there will be a double-DIN mount above the climate controls that accommodates either a standard car stereo plus storage space or a full car stereo with GPS navigation unit.

5. Transmission choices will be five-speed manual or "normal" CVT automatic (Honda may drop the CVT-7 automatic for cost reasons).

6. Interior seating configuration will be identical to that of the European-market Jazz (that means no Refresh bed-like configuration for seat configuration). A security cover for hatchback cargo area will be standard.

7. The vehicle interior will have six airbags, two in front and four side units (current JDM configuration).

8. Brakes will be four-wheel discs (vented front, solid rear) with ABS.

9. The headlight housing will integrate turn signals into the housing.

10. The taillamps will be LED units like current JDM MMC model.

11. Suspension will be similar to current JDM Fit but with some adjustments for a slightly smoother ride over expansion joints and potholes.

12. Color choices will be mostly similar to that of the current JDM Fit, though I don't expect black or red to be available initially.

13. Sunroof will not be available initially to keep costs down.

14. Expect the vehicle to price between US$12,750 to US$15,750 depending on amount of options installed.

15. There will be factory-built body kits available at extra cost to be installed by the dealer.

Once the Fit is established in the US market I expect only two additional options: sunroof and an economy-rated but torquey L15A i-DSI engine rated at 90 bhp (SAE 08/04 net).
  • Options
    That is probably the most detailed list I have seen yet!
    I hope it's true. ;)

"3. The instrument cluster will be almost the same as as the current Fit, though we'll see a temperature gauge, something not seen on Fit/Jazz models in the past."
    -For those who don't know, the Fit/Jazz is not available with a temperature gauge in other markets, but with a blue LED that is on until the engine warms up. If the engine begins to overheat, the LED will turn on again.

Although I agree with most of the list, there are a few I am skeptical about:

7. (airbags) - Although it seems likely that Honda would sell the safety equipment based on what is available in Japan and Europe, Honda did say that US models apart from "specialty vehicles" (Insight and S2000) would have side curtain airbags standard by the end of CY2006. Being that this model will be sold into CY2007 and it is not a specialty vehicle, I think it may be equipped with standard side-curtains. I honestly have no idea how much space they take up, and how hard they are to incorporate, but I have a feeling that this may be one of the reasons that Honda waited so long to introduce this car to the United States.

8. (brakes) - I am thinking front disc/rear drum on the base model and four wheel disc on the high-end model.

9. (turn signals) - You are actually probably right on this one, but I really like the style of having the turn signals on the side as well.

12. (color) - I think black will be available as most Hondas seem to have at least black, white, and silver as an option in the US.
    HOPEFULLY, Honda will place some exciting colors on the palette and bring over some FUN colors like yellow, a few shades of blue, etc. Be wild with the colors Honda!
    http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/fit/color/index.html

Here a few of my personal hopes for the Fit.
    Standard: CD player, A/C, power windows, mirrors, locks, cruise control, tachometer, cargo area cover
    Accessory: CD changer, aluminium shift knob (MT), the alloys on the European high-end Jazz model.

While I am very happy Honda decided to keep the Fit as a Honda, and not part of a new marque, I hope they do follow the lead of the Scion xA and include lots of standard features...and give "free options" like choices of plastic wheel covers and things like that.
  • Options
    I think it will have small alloys like the Japan model, and definately it will be 4 wheel discs. It would cost too much to make different components, and ABS doesn't *work* with drum brakes. Considering ABS is standard, and useless on only the front wheels...

Yeah- 4 wheel discs and abs standard. Sweet.
  • Options
    "I think it will have small alloys like the Japan model"
    No, I mentioned the Jazz ES alloys as an accessory. I do think the current Japanese alloys will be found on the higher end models standard, but I am hoping that the European alloys are available from the dealer as an add-on to any of the trim lines. The JDM alloys have a sporty look while the EUDM alloys have a luxurious look.
    Also, the European alloys I am talking about are 15 inch. I believe that is what the new MMC JDM alloys are too.

"...and definately it will be 4 wheel discs. It would cost too much to make different components"
    You are absolutely correct. For some reason I thought the Jazz 1,2i had rear drums, but it in fact does have discs! Another plus for the Fit.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Somebody should tell Honda that the rear drum brakes don't work on their ABS-equipped Civic DX and LX. :surprise:
  • Options
    1. The tires will be 185/55R15 82T only (we might see 175/65R14 if Honda decides to offer an economy model with the L15A i-DSI engine).

2. The wheels will likely be the ones available in Japan only for now (mostly to cut down production costs).

3. I doubt we'll see side-curtain airbags. This is because the Fit will likely have its full model change (FMC) next year and that new model will incorporate the ability to accommodate roof-mounted side-curtain airbags. As such, we'll see the side airbag configuration similar to the current JDM configuration.
  • Options
    Here is a quote from Honda's 2005 Annual Report:

By the end of 2006, all Honda and Acura models sold in the United States and Canada will feature front-side airbags, side curtain airbags, anti-lock brakes and pedestrian safety technologies in all but a few niche models; with Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and side curtain airbags with rollover sensors as standard features in all light trucks.

So that leaves a few possibilities:

1. The Fit that arrives this spring will have side curtains.

-OR-

2. The Fit that arrives this spring will be replaced no later than December 2006 by a model that offers side curtains.

-OR-

3. Honda considers the Fit to be a "niche model."
  • Options
    3. Honda considers the Fit to be a "niche model."

I think this is the case because 2006 will likely be the last full production year of the current Fit/Jazz body design. 2007 will likely see the arrival of an all-new Fit/Jazz body design, which will likely incorporate roof-mounted side-curtain airbags similar to the installation on the current Honda Civic models.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I need to sell my car then, because my 1996 Accord LX has ABS and rear drums.
  • Options
    Being that the Fit will be redesigned for MY2008, this does raise some good points regarding cost issues.

Now that I think about it, it would be rather cost-inefficient to try and introduce side curtain airbags at this stage for the US-market. And of course this car will have enough safety points to bring it above anything else in the category with standard side airbags, 4-wheel disc, and ABS.

However, regarding the wheels. The 185/55R15 alloys will be available on the Sport model and the 175/65R14 steel wheels with plastic covers (same design as in Japan/Europe) will be available on the base. Incidentally, I was browsing the Honda Japan website and noticed that those "Euro" alloys are actually available in Japan too :D :
    http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/fit/equipment/option.html

Although cost is an issue when introducing a car into a market late in a generation, I don't think Honda is going to skimp a whole lot. In my opinion, anything available in Japan (except for satellite navigation) has the possibility of being included as an option in the US with cost not being much of an issue.
  • Options
    And of course this car will have enough safety points to bring it above anything else in the category with standard side airbags, 4-wheel disc, and ABS.

Actually, Honda will trail almost every other car (except the Aveo) in this category if they don't at least offer side curtains as an option. They are standard on the Accent and Rio/Rio5, and optional on the Yaris and Versa. And ABS with 4-wheel discs are standard on the Accent.
  • Options
    Hmmm...
    HondaPreview.com has the color choices for the 2007 Fit already:

Nighthawk Black Pearl w/Black
    Vivid Blue Pearl w/Black
    Blaze Orange Metallic w/Black
    Milano Red w/Black
    Storm Silver Metallic w/Black
    Taffeta White w/Black/Beige
    Taffeta White w/Black

I was hoping to see the lighter silver color and maybe a lighter blue as well.
    Anyway, they are still talking about the 5-speed automatic with paddle shifters. That seems like the ultimate in cost-inefficiency, so I'm taking all of it with a sizeable grain of salt.
  • Options
    YELLOW!!!!

PLEASE!!!

The other colors are so bland. The Yellow really needs to be added. Oh, and yes, I know you can use drums with ABS, but it really doesn't work properly, as I said. Since the Fit models in Japan, where this is being made, have discs, it would require a lot of work to replace the components and re-work the ABS system to compensate.

Plus, drum brakes are a skeezball cost-cutting measure. Only the most basic econoboxes should even get a pass anymore on this, like not having power windows is. We want a Honda Mini, and not a Honda Aveo. Plus, if they offer everything in one package for thousands less than it would cost to option out a Hyundai or other car to the same level, that helps sales.

Lastly - Honda's resale value is so high because of this. A vehicle's worth is based upon its base price(minus rebates) and not the options when you calculate depreciation. So a Hyundai with 5K in options is still a $7K car two years later. That new $38K Buick? Bet it sells for $20K in two years, since the base model is $27K.

So offering it "loaded" helps all around. And that's why the comparison between the Mini and the Fit is a close one. Both are small high quality vehicles built with few compromises. Not "cheap" cars. Not a car that you feel a need to "trade up". And very likely to get you hooked on Honda just as much as people get "hooked" on Mini.
  • Options
    I don't consider the Honda Civic LX, at $17,000+, to be a basic econobox. But it would be nice if the Fit had 4-wheel disc brakes even though its more costly family member does not.
  • Options
    streetsterstreetster Member Posts: 23
    I live in the middle east and here they already market the Fit with the name of Jazz. I have the complete brochure and specifications of the Fit. If you really want to know all about it just let me know. (Reply to this post)

:)
  • Options
    Thanks! :)
    ...but we know about the Japanese Fit, and the European/Middle Eastern Jazz already...engines, transmissions, features, etc.

Right now we are just speculating on what the US-market Fit will have. Honda will modify the car slightly to account for the US demographics, and of course US EPA/DOT requirements. The good news is that I think the car will retain most of its JDM and EUDM characteristics in the interest of saving money...especially since the car will only be sold for a short time in the US before the FMC (full model change).

Honda US has been very tight-lipped about releasing information, and since the US press introduction will probably be happening in a week or so at NAIAS, the interest in what the US Fit will look like and feature is really heating up.

Thanks again though! :D
  • Options
    woknwowoknwo Member Posts: 6
    Hi Honda...a message from Sunny Southern California... :shades: :D We want the most loaded, top of the line model, and HAS to have a SUNROOF!.. Even though we pay the highest $$'s for gas in the USA, that isn't our utmost concern when purchasing a car. We want it thrilling, sporty, and reliable (Honda of course!!)... and when purchasing our Fit, we aren't the buyers looking for frugality in our options and comfort/safety level..It's got to be the best right 'out of the box'!! So many of these post worry about how cheap they can get it to cost. Don't worry, we have the money.. We still are going to 'tune/customize' it if you don't. ah yes,...and CRUISE CONTROL!! We are the ultimate Cruisers of the Highway!! Thanx!!! :shades:
  • Options
    georgetgeorget Member Posts: 48
    Come on. Isn't anyone going to take this guys bait? :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    It's not worth it.
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I assume that there will be PW, PM, & PLF since almost every other "entry level" car now has this as standard for us physically challenged North Americans.,

For my money add a functional armrest for the driver, height adjustable driver's seat,& yes, CRUISE. Sunroof (willing to spend an extra $800) & 7 spd CVT right up there also, but not dealbreakers.
  • Options
    Actually, no entry-level car (i.e. Accent, Aveo, Rio, Versa, Yaris) has power windows/locks/mirrors standard on the base model. Although I personally consider power windows and locks a necessity on a 4-door car (being one of those "physically challenged" North Americans).
  • Options
    aliasmanaliasman Member Posts: 1
    Great to hear someone else wants Honda to know what we want here in California...Yeah...SUNROOF is a MUST!! I already have talked to my local dealer to be the 1st in line for my Fit!!! I also want cruise control and a 5 or (wish)6-speed! Yes, we are the Cruise in Cruisers!...Also I have our local "Tuner" shop (Sinful Enhancements in San Diego) ready to make the most out of my Fit when I get it..If they don't have the Sunroof, I probably will wait..(uggg!)(Maybe dealer installed??) until it's available. Yeah, it's not about the money so much...It's affordable no matter what. I'll also pay up for the most loaded model with hopefully factory ground effects and spoiler.. Stay cool and see ya on the road!! Maybe we can start the 1st So-Cal Fit Cruisers Club!! :shades:
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Two sides to every coin. For me sunroof is a must not. If I need a model with a sunroof to get ABS (like the civic used to be) then no sale.
  • Options
    harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4123

Versa to get 38 mpg? 120HP/125torque. That's better than our 97 200sx, with 115HP/ and 108 torque. The Versa 5 door will be Suzuki Reno sized, and the Sedan nearly Corolla sized, for about Accent/Rio5 pricing.

Why the "tiny" engines, on say all of these smaller cars, but maybe the Versa?
  • Options
    harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    is that Reno is a compact,(127HP/131 torque) yet, a similarly sized Versa 5 door will be called, by some, a sub-compact?
    Yaris is close to this size, also, but 103HP, or is it 106? Fit to have 103HP?

These engines/cars sound barely larger/heavier than my 90 Sentra(Also of 168-169 inches, considered a compact in the old days)..90HP/97 torque, and it got 33-37mpg.
    3 speed automatic, yet.

What gives? We should see 45 mpg by now with these tiny engines, and simlarly sized cars, and weights as the 90 sentra xe? :confuse:

is this due to stricter emissions regs, or something, that these cars gotta meet,versus back in 1990?
  • Options
    jordisjordis Member Posts: 10
    I am about to purchase a Hyundai Accent 2006 and after reading so much about the Honda Fit and the Versa here today, I am confused.
    I am a tall guy 6'4" and I was comfortable in the Accent, it looks nice in and out with everything standard except A/C and power windows, door, locks etc. That made me feel I was in a car from the past, but with $ 1,500.00 option package I would get all that, A/C power everything but there is always a but, could it be compared to the Fit and the Versa?. Should I wait until they all come out and compare them personally and, see if I fit. I am retired and I want most of all transportation. The 2006 Accent I saw today afternoon seemed so nice. Price fully equipped
    $14,805.00 ( four discs brakes, ABS, EBD Six air bags, 15 inches tires, 1.6 l motor,CVVT 110 horse power,eight way adjustable driver seat,60/40 flat rear seat etc etc. You people are young and know about what is good and not, please let me know. Thanks :confuse: ">:confuse:
  • Options
    streetsterstreetster Member Posts: 23
    For those who want to know - I live in the middle-east.
    I know that it is not a question of what the car has, but, what the car will have in it's U.S trim.
    Well, the cars that we get here are 95% american specs (LHD cars), only thing is that we use kilometers while people in the U.S use miles.
    The Nissan Versa has already been released over here with the name of Nissan Tiida (pronounced - Teeda). (As the Middle-East and Japan were the first release markets for the Nissan Tiida/Versa). It has been a block buster seller over here. Dealerships are filled with waiting lists for the car and it is in fact a really very good car. It is available both as a hatchback (5-dr) and saloon. I've driven it and it is just amazing - Think Mazda6-like characteristics. And the reason they used a big engine is that it really is quite bigger compared to it's competition. It's legroom is superior to that of a current generation Toyota Corolla.
    Overall, if any of you are considering buying a C-Segment car (Yaris, Fit, Tiida/Versa, Accent etc.) the Tiida/Versa is certainly worth a wait.
    Like always, if you want any further info, specs, pics or anything bout it, just post a rep.
  • Options
    Check the weight on that '90 Sentra. Weights of cars are going up due to added crash protection. For example, the new Civic is over 2700 pounds; they used to be under 2000 pounds not long ago. Also, the cars of today have much lower emissions than your '90 Sentra. Much more power, higher weight, better emissions--yet the fuel economy is still up there with cars from 10+ years ago (e.g. the '96 Sentra weighed about 2300 pounds and got 39 EPA highway). That's not too bad a deal IMO. Technology has improved, but as Scotty used to say, "You canna change the laws of physics!"
  • Options
    OK, if you are waiting for a formal request: please post everything you know about the Fit here, and the other small cars like the Versa in their respective discussions. Thanks!
  • Options
    jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    Backy - visit fitfreak.net for a good single fit info resource... ;)
  • Options
    For those who want to know - I live in the middle-east.

May I ask what country you live in? I checked the Honda United Arab Emirates website, and although several of the models are available in the US (Odyssey, CR-V, MR-V (Pilot), US Accord, there are also several non-US market vehicles (Stream, HR-V, City). The Jazz is primarily based on European specifications with the L13A 1339cc i-DSI engine. Of course, the safety specs are uniquely non-European with only front airbags and rear drum brakes.

I still have a feeling that the base model might see rear drums in the US because I checked the Honda Japan website again and noticed that several trim lines have rear drum brakes. Therefore it would not cost any extra to develop them. Of course, I would absolutely want rear discs, but I just think Honda might try and keep costs down with rear drums.
  • Options
    I'm kind of not looking forward to potential customizations of the Honda Fit in the USA.

Can you imagine a Fit decorated with Hello Kitty, Mashimoro, Rilakkuma, Nohohon or other well-known "cute" characters from Japan? :surprise: I saw a picture of a blue Honda Jazz decorated in Doraemon style and that was a bit too much for me to take.

And you KNOW somebody in the San Francisco Bay Area will do a Honda Fit in the livery of a local high-tech company like Google and Yahoo! :blush:
  • Options
    bostonjazzbostonjazz Member Posts: 51
    The Detroit Auto Show kicks off with media day on Sunday (January 8), and we're going to happily go from a vacuum of no information and pure speculation to a wealth of real specs, data, photos, and reviews - 'been waiting months for that day!

Is there any speculation at all that some details might come out at the LA Auto Show on Friday (Jan 6)?

We're looking forward to the Fit due to its versatility, value, and hopefully, fuel economy (38.5 EPA is the number to beat and I do hope for 40+, what a marketing asset that would be for Honda).

So, a question - when will we know when the Fit will be available for purchase? Are availability dates firmed up as part of the PR around these auto shows? Crossing my fingers for March (Q1, as originally stated to investors). Once its announced and unveiled to the public on what timeframe will dealers have more information?

Looking forward to the analysis and discussion of the ensuing weeks, in what should be a Golden Age for this forum short of the summer announcement that the Fit was coming to the U.S.!
  • Options
    "Is there any speculation at all that some details might come out at the LA Auto Show on Friday (Jan 6)?"

I doubt it. MSN Autos (which the official NAIAS site links directly to) has a section on the NAIAS. They have the press conference schedule up on their site. The 12th agenda item on January 8th, 2006 is "Honda to Unveil Fit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://autoshow.msn.com/as/coverage.aspx?date=1/8/06&shw=autoshow2006&src=AutoSh- ow2006LeftNav

I think this is the first-time, official unveiling of the car. Don't expect anything in LA other than a passing mention (if even that).
    I'm glad the intro is on the weekend. I don't think I could get any work done if it was Monday! :D:D

"Once its announced and unveiled to the public on what timeframe will dealers have more information?"
    I decided to stop dealing with the BS of regular salespeople and I went straight to the Senior Sales Rep at the local dealership who someone recommended to me. He said that Honda would be giving a new model presentation to the dealership in the beginning of January. I'm just trying to get him to start a waiting list!

"Golden Age for this forum"
    It sure will be. Look back at post #2 :cry:

I've been waiting ever since 2002 for the Fit/Jazz intro into the US. I almost bought a Jazz in Hungary for export! I would have thought that 5 days would be nothing compared to 4 years, but it's a long wait!
  • Options
    I think it will, for two reasons.
    1: They are giving us the loaded EX model, or close to it to start off - putting their best foot forawrd, to compete with the Base Mini. BMW is planning on putting a bigger engine in the base model next year, as it should have had all along, BTW.

2:It puts them in a no prisoners, no compromises position. The stripped-down basic Fit comes in 2007, but the original model is the full model with all the goodies, 4 wheel discs, and likely alloys as well.

A fully loaded small car that pounds the competition flat, because all the goodies are standard. $14-$15K out the door and as loaded as an Accent at $16-$17K. No brainer which is going to sell better. And maybe it will force the competition to stop producing such mediocre basic cars. Or to at least offer more features standard.
  • Options
    bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    What gives? We should see 45 mpg by now with these tiny engines, and simlarly sized cars, and weights as the 90 sentra xe?

That 1990 Sentra weighed about 2200 pounds and had around 90hp. There are plenty of cars that meet those specs today and get 45mpg or better in mixed driving, but they are not offered for sale in the United States anymore. You have to go to Europe or Japan or Mexico to find them.
  • Options
    Why do you think Honda is trying to compete with the Mini? I would think they are trying to compete with the likes of the Yaris, the Scion x'es, the Rio5, the Accent, and the Versa.

BTW, there is no such thing as a $16-17k Accent--except in Canada. :)