Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Fit

Comments

• Options
    homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    Does anyone know exactly WHEN the Fit will be available in the US?
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    ...there are 2 dashboards pictures, the one with the girl is apparently the top level model as it get the more expensive radioCD but oddly it has the 3 large knobs instead of the automatic air conditioning standard, the second picture seems to have a GPS type of screen instead of the radio...

This nicer radio is part of the new MMC updates. The previous radio on these 1.3 models looked just like the radio on the cheaper Jazz models.

One car can vary considerably between regions to better suit consumer preferences and tastes. Even if you look at the European Jazz vs. the Japanese Fit, there are several differences...
    -L12A (1.2i) and L13A (1.4i) in Europe vs. L13A and L15A in Japan
    -Manual transmission not available on L13A in Japan, but of course widely available in Europe. The base models (L13A) in Japan only get automatic, while the base models in Europe (L12A) only get manual.
    -"Magic seats" in Europe have Utility, Long, and Tall modes, while Refresh mode is only available in Japan.
    -Small cosmetic differences like the wheels. I believe the very nice looking alloys (like the ones on your car) are only available in the European market.

...so naturally small things like radio and A/C combinations will be different. The Japanese-market cars always have had more technologically-oriented interiors. I don't even think the European Jazz has satellite navigation as an option.

Since both countries (France and Hungary) are in the European market, I think the only difference between the two are the transmission choices. In Western Europe, there is a CVT option on each 1.4i trim line, while in Central Europe there is usually a CVT only on one trim line.
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Does anyone know exactly WHEN the Fit will be available in the US?

The latest rumor is March 2006.
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    March. February is a slow sales month anyways, so pre-orders will start to be possible about then.

I suspect that the delay is the engine. Honda wants the car to get PZEV if it can and still be driveable - AND likely get 50mpg highway in the testing on the smaller engine(huge marketing plus).

Currently the laws state that hybrids, alternative fuel vehicles, and electrics can get the HOV access and other benefits, but what if the new Fit pollutes the same as a Prius? It would be a nice trick, especially in California - all those shiny new Hondas running around with "Clean Vehicle" stickers on them.

Well, I can hope at least :)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Honda didn't wait to achieve PZEV to release the all-new '06 Civic, so I doubt that will be a factor in the release of the Fit in the U.S. I expect that making sure the car does well on the IIHS crash tests is a much higher priority for Honda.
  • Options
    "I expect that making sure the car does well on the IIHS crash tests is a much higher priority for Honda."

That totally makes sense, especially with Honda's new focus on making very safe vehicles and their "Safety for Everyone" campaign. The last thing they will want to do is introduce their new entry-level and have it gain a reputation of being unsafe.
  • Options
    homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I saw the NCAP results for the Jazz, and they were quite good. NCAP is said to be at least as rigorous as IIHS.
  • Options
    Note I said all of those points. The need to tweak the power and drivetrain most likely. My guess is that they are at something liek 46mpg highway and want to squeeze it(assuming they make the smaller engine available that is) a few MPG more.
  • Options
    bostonjazzbostonjazz Member Posts: 51
    Dug up this article, an interview with Automotive News pubilshed November 21 - Takeo Fukui, CEO of Honda Motor Co.

Some excerpts related to the Fit:

"AM: You will bring in the Honda Fit subcompact next year. Have you considered a youth brand, like Toyota's Scion?

TF: Absolutely not.

AM: Three years from now, how much assembly capacity will you have in North America?

TF: We want to wait until we introduce the Fit next year and see what happens with the Fit. Depending on the results, we might add on more capacity.

AM: Is there a possibility that you might build the Fit in North America, say, in Mexico?

TF: Not in Mexico. But if the Fit turns out to be a big hit in North America, and if the Civic maintains its sales volume, our policy is to produce where the demand exists. So I guess if that happens, we would have to think about producing the Fit somewhere in North America.

AM: With the Ridgeline, you entered a new segment. Are you looking at other truck segments? There's a big part of the American market that you don't participate in.

TF: No. Right now we want to expand and strengthen our lineup in the Fit category.

AM: You ship the China-built Fit to Europe, where it is sold as the Jazz. Would you consider exporting Fits from China to North America?

TF: Not at all. Our export factory in China only has capacity for 50,000 units. Don't think that China is cheap."
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Ward's Autoworld, October 2005 says that the Fit will come with a 1.3L DOHC I-4 with 75hp, mated to a continuously variable transmission.

Think it's possible?
  • Options
    Thanks for the article!

"You will bring in the Honda Fit subcompact next year. Have you considered a youth brand, like Toyota's Scion?"

Although Honda does have some good small models like the Fit, Fit Aria, Airwave, etc., it's probably a much better idea that they don't follow the Toyota path. Those models don't have the "wild" look that the Scion models do that would justify the creation of a whole new brand, and it would probably be pretty expensive for Honda. It's just as well that the Fit is badged as a Honda. People will be more likely to associate it with the parent company when it comes time to trade-in their Fit.

I wonder how many Scion owners are actually going to trade up to a Toyota Camry later in life? I think the problem there is that Scion has distanced itself so much from Toyota's American car models that a Scion owner is just as likely (or more) to go buy a Civic or Accord over a Corolla or Camry.

"AM: With the Ridgeline, you entered a new segment. Are you looking at other truck segments? There's a big part of the American market that you don't participate in.
    TF: No. Right now we want to expand and strengthen our lineup in the Fit category."

I find this VERY interesting...and it's wonderful! I guess having the Ridgeline be one of the only Honda models to miss the target sales mark in its first year shows something. Even the Element is going to break the 50 000 mark...again.
    I will be very interested to see what else in the small car category Honda decides to bring over.

bostonjazz,
    Would you be able to provide the link to where you found this article. I would be interested in reading the rest of it too.
    Thanks! :D
  • Options
    Sadly, probably not.

See my responses above on what my guess on what the US-market Honda Fit will be like. I do think Honda might be looking at building a Fit with the L15A i-DSI engine rated at 86 bhp (SAE 08/04 net) mated with the CVT specifically as a more fuel-efficient Fit version (essentially using the drivetrain of the Fit Aria saloon sold in Japan).
  • Options
    Hungarian,

Would be happy to but unfortunately I don't think the article is publicly available on the web - I pulled the excerpts from Lexis-Nexis.

They were pretty bold/definitive comments, but perhaps that is how Fukui speaks.

It definitely emphasized the strategic importance of the Fit to Honda - beyond anything else - which I think is a very good sign :)

Random question - who here is looking forward to the Fit but does *not* like the Scion xA? I posted a while back that I was very (surprisingly) disappointed in the xA. ...and incidentally, more interested in the Toyota Matrix.

Meanwhile, gas creeping back up above $2.15
  • Options
    jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    Meanwhile, gas creeping back up above $2.15

Count your blessing - we're in the 2.30 range already in west michigan :mad:
  • Options
    Random question - who here is looking forward to the Fit but does *not* like the Scion xA?

I love the Jazz in Europe, and I am totally looking forward to the Fit. Once it comes out in the US I will be purchasing one. However, the Scion xA doesn't appeal to me that much. The quality is pretty good, but not what I expected. Another thing I really don't like is the location of the instruments. I do not want to move my eyes to the right every time I want to check how fast I'm going. I like the instruments right in front of me. I love small cars, and I had high hopes for the Scion xA, but it's not for me.

Also, the general interior format of the Fit is so much more versatile than any of the competitors, Scion xA included.
  • Options
    mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    I have been in the Jazz in the UK, and I have driven a Scion xa. The Scion is MUCH smaller on the inside than the Honda. The Scion xa also felt very cheap inside. I like small cars and I felt crammed in the Scion. The trunk is VERY tiny .The Honda Fit although not tremendously bigger on the outside, is much bigger on the inside. I know this sounds odd, I guess part of that is the Fit is quite a bit taller than the scion. It just feels cavernous on the inside. The trunk is roomy as well. The interior is well appointed as Honda always is, and doesn’t at all feel bottom of the line. I just feel like the Scion xa doesn’t come anywhere close to the Honda Fit. As long as they don’t do something horrible to this car to accommodate some misconception about the US markets need for power at the expense of efficiency, this will be as trendsetting vehicle for America.
  • Options
    If you go back in time to the old CVCC models, especially the wagons, they also were very large inside for their tiny size. The BMW 2002 and Volvo 140/240s also had this effect - it was tall, lots of semi-flat surfaces inside and out, and was built to maximize every last inch of space. The Xa on the other hand, has 2-3 inches of wasted space around the doors, dash, and so on - so the driving position feels too tight, plus a roofline that's 1-2 inches above your head is a whole other problem. The Fit probably will drive closer to the Xb in terms of actual useability, but without the ugly external styling.

Honda had better offer a manual, though, if it offers the smaller engine. 50mpg and such decent cargo area would ensure probably half a million sales in the next few years just from delivery companies and so on. It's the perfect short-range delivery vehicle - everything from couriers to every business that delivers food or parts or plants or...

With the death of the micro-pickups, this could easily fill the spot for many companies(and their old trucks and metros are all wearing out right now).

Geo and Suzuki sold a huge number of 3 cylinder Metros/Swifts to businesses looking for frugal transportation. I've talked to many over the years and they buy cheap cars, but always lament the fact that they have to buy Korean - they want something that resells for something decent in the end and is built better. Most bought Echos as a stopgap measure, but without a rear cargo area, it's a halfway solution. Removing the front passenger seat is common, btw.

The Fit is solid, safe, and huge by comparison. 4 wheel disc brakes, side airbags, ABS, flat cargo floor.. it's a no-brainer compared to the competition. Got 20 boxes of paperwork to deliver across town? Done. Need ten pizzas delivered to five different houses? Done. Need a bunch of flowers delivered to a wedding/church/whatnot? Fold the seats up and use the center cargo "area"(tall mode)

It's definetely worth selling the smaller engine model in the U.S. I just hope Honda realizes the potential business-related market such a vehicle would have. (And the few of us who want a super-frugal car would benefit, too :) )
  • Options
    2-3 inches of wasted space around the doors, dash, and so on - so the driving position feels too tight, plus a roofline that's 1-2 inches above your head is a whole other problem. The Fit probably will drive closer to the Xb in terms of actual useability, but without the ugly external styling.

I totally agree with you. When I am standing next to a Jazz, the car looks very well proportioned. The Scion xA looks fat, like there is wasted space. The first time I actually stood next to a Jazz was when I parked next to one in a parking garage in Brussels. I had seen them driving, but up close to one I was so surprised how large it appeared...inside and out. The inside seemed very airy and spacious with lots of windows for good visibility.
    Of course, in the US it will appear much smaller because of all the large cars and SUVs, but I have never seen so much space inside a car with such small exterior dimensions.
  • Options
    It's definetely worth selling the smaller engine model in the U.S. I just hope Honda realizes the potential business-related market such a vehicle would have. (And the few of us who want a super-frugal car would benefit, too :) )

Don't be surprised that Honda sells the Fit in the USA with both the L15A VTEC (105 bhp SAE 08/04 net) and L15A i-DSI (86 bhp SAE 08/04 net) versions. The i-DSI engined version will be very popular as delivery vehicles for small businesses. :shades:
  • Options
    It's 1.5L Vtec with 115HP(U.S.) and a 1.3L 86 HP engine.

The 1.5 L has the same hp/weight ratio and torque to wieght ratio as the base Mini Cooper, plus the suspension, wheelbase, tires, and so on - all within an inch of each other. Add in 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS, and so on - and it's going to be very simmilar. Even the CVT in both base models is nearly identical.

In short, it's not going to be a slug by any means. With a 3 ft shorter turning radius, it'll also out-handle the Mini by a bit. Now, it's no Cooper S, but for what it is - the 1.5L model will be a sweet ride.

The 1.3L if it is available, though, will be an amazing econobox. 50mpg+ and enogh power to get the job done, if barely.
  • Options
    1.5 and 1.3 - AND WHERE IS THIS GOSSPIL FROM?????? Honda DOES sell a 1.5 i-DSI.
    Please stop rumors that can't be substantiated. Fictitious material does not mean minor correction - either quote a verifiable source or label it the B.S. that it is...
    I'm really getting tired of the "supposed" insider info that's going around on this model. As far as I'm concerned if Honda ain't announced it - it ain't true! :mad:
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,668
    with a back seat where people can actually fit? Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me! Now just need someone to put together a turbo kit for it, and you won't have to worry about it being slow either.

Actually, the big killer is still going to be making it only as a strippo, which to me means no moonroof. Even if it turned out to be a viable functional package for me, no roof = no sale.

I actually think it is a plus these days if they keep it simple (no auto climate, power seats, etc.). Less to go wrong!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    With a 3 ft shorter turning radius, it'll also out-handle the Mini by a bit.

Well, it will definitely be able to turn in a tighter radius than the Mini. As for handling, that has more involved than turning radius. Otherwise the Prius should be able to out-handle a large numbers of cars out there with its relatively tight turning radius. ;)
  • Options
    One of the reasons why the Fit/Jazz has surprisingly good handling is because by locating the fuel tank underneath the front seats, Honda effectively changed the center of gravity of the car so it is very low in relation to the total height of the car.

Put in a decent suspension upgrade and a good set of 185/55R15 tires and the Fit will likely give the base Mini a run for the money in terms of handling. Of course the Fit can't compare with the Mini Cooper versions given the fact the Mini Cooper has very taut, sport-oriented suspension pieces and far wider tires than those used on the Fit.
  • Options
    Actually, the big killer is still going to be making it only as a strippo, which to me means no moonroof. Even if it turned out to be a viable functional package for me, no roof = no sale.
    I have heard many times from many different sources (of course, all speculation) that the Fit (as well as the Yaris and Versa) will be sold properly equipped, and not stripped down.
    Moonroof/Sunroofs seem to be quite popular in the United States, so I can see Honda giving the US-market Fit one...at least in the top trim line. A sunroof is available on the Jazz as an option, and I believe on the JDM Fit as well, so it is a possibility.

I actually think it is a plus these days if they keep it simple (no auto climate, power seats, etc.). Less to go wrong!
    That's so true. I am hoping to keep my Fit for a very long time, so I want a car that is SIMPLE and won't require weird repairs. However, it seems like lots of cars like Honda's larger vehicles are filled with all of these new technologies that could so easily go wrong after a few years. I totally trust Honda to make VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) for example, but will it last 200 000+ miles without requiring expensive repairs?
    I had a Japanese-built 1987 Accord 2,0i that had about 415 000 km (257 000 miles) on it when I got rid of it. The only problem was the automatic transmission was starting to go bad. The engine was PERFECT, and if it had been a manual transmission, I would still have it today. That car was as solid as a rock. It seems like they just don't build cars with that kind of superb quality anymore.
    Well, the Fit is top-notch quality of course :shades:
  • Options
    maybe a bad word, since it likely will have PW, PL, etc, at least on the higher end (EX?) model. I really just meant not having a moonroof, which to me is Stripped!

Nice to know that the engineering is in place to have one. I was thinking that it didn't exist anywhere, and they didn't want to spend the $$ to make it happen.

LOok at how many Minis have a moonroof. But, that again brings up the 100K question: What is the mission of the Fit?

is it a cheap, below Civic econobox? A mini size "premium" sub compact? A little sporty car? All of the above?

• Options
    the 100K question: What is the mission of the Fit?

That is a VERY good question - is there just one itinerary for this car or is Honda hoping to plug numerous leaks in the potential buyer loss sieve that going too upscale on the Civic/Accord price tag created?:confuse:
  • Options
    It does seem like the fit can fill a few holes, plus combat Scion (bottom end) and Mini (top end), if Honda manages to walk the tightrope correctly.

Now, if they can show a "45" on the MPG sticker and introduce it just as gas goes above $3.00 again, they might move a few units!

• Options
    mikecaponemikecapone Member Posts: 47
    Thank you to the people who wrote about the Ractis here. I know this is a bit off topic, but I had never heard about that car before:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/12/toyota_ractis_-.php

I certainly hope that they will bring it to North-America sooner than later. It would be a BIG hit in Canada and certainly would be competition to the Honda Fit (esp. if they offer the CVT).
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I am just the opposite. A small economy car with moonroof standard = no sale. I like the new Civic and like some of the features of the EX, but I wouldn't buy one because of the headroom stealing waste called a moonroof. I am forced to buy Accords and Civics in LX trim just to avoid the moonroof and miss out on other amenities I want.

I sure hope the Fit will be available with a fairly high level of equipment and not have a forced moonroof. Let it be an option like on the Ridgeline. You call a non-moonroof vehicle "strippo". I call a moonroof "ripoff".

How many Xa and Xb Scions have a moonroof?
  • Options
    punkrockpaulpunkrockpaul Member Posts: 5
    I was in getting an oil change for my 93 civic hatchback, and looking at the cars in the dealership lobby (the new civic specifically). One of the salesman asked me if I liked it, and i said yeah but i'm waiting for the Fit. Seriously he said? yeah, i said. we talked about it alittle, and he mentioned that the new civic is selling so well that they're pushing back the fit release until May from March. *disclaimer* he also said something about it being made in the US, which i don't believe is true (I thought I'd read Brazil somewhere on here maybe). so maybe he's just talking up some crap, but he wasn't pushy or anything, so it could be true, which would suck!!!
  • Options
    It's been reported on several web sites that many believe the first US market fit will be imported from Japan... ;)
  • Options
    (1) Here's an article in Forbes on small cars in general, with a passing mention of the Fit. Interesting analysis.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/12/12/backseat-driver-smallcars-cx_jf_1213flint.html?- partner=yahootix

(2) In but a few sentences in a Newark, NJ Star-Ledger article - how in-the-know is this reporter? ...

"Honda Fit

For years in Japan and other parts of Asia, Honda has sold a subcompact car called Fit. By summer 2006, the front-wheel-drive Fit will finally arrive in the States.

The appeal is Fit's small-on-the-outside, big-on-the-inside design, as well as its fuel-thrifty, four-cylinder engine. Some reports indicate Honda may fit the Fit with a CVT to produce noteworthy fuel economy, but Honda officials are keeping mum until early next year.

The Fit will become Honda's entry car, with a starting MSRP below the 2006 Civic's $14,360."

Again, it could be we know more than that reporter based on our day-in-day-out tracking of Fit news and specs. However, assuming this writer secured an interview with Honda or did some probing, does this suggest:
    - Confirming a recent post, the Fit arrives "by SUMMER" not Q1 ?!
    - Silence until "early next year" (a few more weeks)
    - Starting MSRP could be higher than some forecast?

Who knows, really...
  • Options
    Honda has publically stated on the U.S. Fit web site that the Fit is coming in the "spring of 2006." I will take that as gospel until Honda says otherwise. That means we will see the Fit sometime between March and late June.
  • Options
    Takeo Fukui gave a speech on July 20 of this year. He said that the car would be introduced to Mexico in October of 2005 and in the US/Canada in spring of 2006. While May is in the Spring, I am still thinking that it will be more like March or April.

He also specifically noted that Mexican Fit models would be produced in Brazil, and the US models would be imported from Japan.
    http://world.honda.com/news/2005/c050720_a.html
    (scroll down to the 2nd paragraph of the North American section on "Regional Operations")

Also, the Automotive News interview that was posted here a few days ago has Takeo Fukui saying ---
    ...if the Fit turns out to be a big hit in North America, and if the Civic maintains its sales volume, our policy is to produce where the demand exists. So I guess if that happens, we would have to think about producing the Fit somewhere in North America.

I think the Japan thing is probably pretty set in stone.

At the very end of November, I visited a Honda dealership in Southern California. I asked the salesman about the Fit, and he said, "Well, it's supposedly coming," and that he would "believe it when he sees it".
    Dealers are not exactly what I would consider the best source for Honda's future product plans.

I have visited Honda dealers three times since September, and each time they have told me how skeptical they have been about the Fit coming (even though it has been official since July). They have also tried to sell me an Element the first two times, and a Civic the third time to "tide me over" until the Fit arrives. Give me a break.

I bet that the guy at the dealership just wanted to sell punkrockpaul a Civic by stating the Fit wouldn't be here for a while.
  • Options
    punkrockpaulpunkrockpaul Member Posts: 5
    i stand corrected about the Brazil comment! I'll take a Japanese one over Brazil anyways. I don't think he was trying to sell me anything, they're pretty nice where I go, Burnsville Honda, just south of Minneapolis. I got an Element there last year, the last 2004; I had a trade with abit of negative equity, walked off the lot initially because i didn't know if i wanted to get it for sure. I called them over the phone next day, gave them a total I was comfortable paying after trade-in and they said ok. It was the end of the month, 2nd last 2004, i paid 18,700 for the element and got 10,500 for my 01 Jetta wolfsburg which i owed 11,200 on, pretty good deal all around. i dont think they're pushy there and have my business as long as it stays that way! that being said, his comments about the Fit not arriving until May didn't sound 100% 'educated' so take it for what it's worth!
  • Options
    oldone1oldone1 Member Posts: 9
    I had a 2001 Honda HX coupe rated at 38/44mpg and sometimes with the right wind and speed I could get 50mpg. I am reading blog of 32/37 for the Fit which is less than that of a 2006 DX four door manual Civic of 40mpg highway. Also they have had there web site up for a month with no new news and an illustration that shows a three door. I am afraid that if they americanize this car too much it is going to be a big dud. There sales people just look at you like you are from another planet when you talk of the fit. The latest I heard from a sales manager was that they will probably get to see the car for themselves in January and get to test drive and take note of its features. I think the market excutive who is in charge of this product drives a big car or suv and has no feel for the small car. I was so excited about this car but I think I would have to move to Europe, Australia, Japan or somewhere other than the U.S. to enjoy this car. Look at Mexico they already have it on their showroom floors. Keep It Simple Stupid are some really smart words for Honda and the Fit. Just move the steering wheel and lets see what the real response is.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    There is no way it will get 32/37. The new Civic with a 1.8l and much more weight gets 32/38 (40 with the other tranny). I think it will get at least 34/42, but would expect it to do much better than that.
  • Options
    oldone1oldone1 Member Posts: 9
    I have been following the Fit for over a year reading whatever little tidbits I can gather up. It was quite apparent that the BMW's mini-cooper was a great sales success when it first hit the market and still looks pretty strong in sales. So where is Honda's logic in holding off so long on the Fit. I think it could be tied to civic's sales. If sales lag then the Fit could be delayed to try to force the market to buy civics. But I have owned civics, CRVs, and Pilots and I find that the Fit is the only Honda to peek my curiosity now, so if Honda does this they aren't getting my money as I have also owned Toyota and know they can put out an ecomomical small car too. Does anybody know what happened to Mazda's MX-2 it looked kind of like a four door mini-cooper?
  • Options
    ludexrludexr Member Posts: 20
    Honda is teasing us with a Fit link on www.honda.com web site.
    Under Models, there is a “Fit 5-Door” link.
  • Options
    Those insidious bastards - teasing us with no more than a link button - hurry up, get off your a**'es and give us tangible info/pics!!!! :mad:
  • Options
    As of later this morning (ET), if it wasn't doing this earlier, the link is showing the same page as the Fit web site to sign up for e-mail updates - same info, too, it seems. That reminds me, I'm due to get an e-mail when something's announced, aren't I? :)

On that point, we are a relatively small group of the 35,000-75,000 (random range) of people that will (or may) buy a Fit next year. I can't tell you how many friends and family members I've shared information on this car with as I've discovered more about it - many of them are equally impressed. Nice viral marketing - but it begins with some information :)
  • Options
    The problem with viral marketing is sometimes there's an inoculation waiting in the wings - Honda drags this out too long and other cars (like the Yaris) start becoming more viable options... :sick:
  • Options
    This is actually smart (albeit maddening) marketing on Honda's part. They can tease us while finding out what the interest level is in the Fit, by letting people sign up for email updates.

I have received one "update" so far--a generic email that provides a link to the Honda autos site. No info on the car itself. :(
  • Options
    I'm just glad that they are finally writing "Fit 5-door"

I think I would burst into tears if I had to wait this long for that ugly City/Fit Aria 4-door.

It's also good that the link is now on the primary page, and not just hidden away in the site map. Now everybody can see it! It must be getting close!
  • Options
    Breathe. Ah. All is good.

The car is going to be a departure for Honda. After decades of elitist attitudes and biggotry towards U.S. customers(Sony does this too, as well as shrinking handful of Japanese companies) - they are sending us the Japanese version(s) of the Fit. Made in Japan, just like the ones they sell at home, other than a few minor changes, like headlights and maybe a couple of trim options, plus a tiny bit of tweaking with the computers(since we drive much faster here than in Japan).

It's going to be a fantastic little car - basically Honda's take on a Mini without the BMW pricing. Not surprizing, given how Accura and Lexus are nipping at the heels of Mercedes and BMW now, for a simmilar 20% cost savings.
  • Options
    mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    “Honda Preview” http://www.hondapreview.com/fit/index.htm
    (run by a Honda parts store and not affiliated with American Honda) has updated their site with the following info. –“Expect a 1.5L engine producing around 110hp with a choice of either a 5spd manual or a paddle shift 5spd automatic”-
    Before anyone gets too worked up about no cvt, and his June eta of the fit- take this site with a grain of salt. I think that this guys’ site is one of the 2 originators of the “no cvt, and mpg in the 30’s rumors that ran wild on this board, and fitfreak, and TOV last October. This “preview video” was never found and a lot of us got needlessly upset over the supposed low mpg figures.
    I know we are all starving for any details but lets face it unless Honda says it, it’s just speculation.
    Hey, I love a good rumor too but let’s not ride the up and down rollercoaster based on anything but fact.
  • Options
    ludexrludexr Member Posts: 20
    Found a dealer site with fit accessories. web site http://www.collegehillshonda.com/fitaccessories.htm
    They state,
    U.S. fit will be display at North American International Auto Show. http://www.naias.com/index.asp

College Hills Honda
    Your Honda Fit Accessory Store

This preview lists the variety of accessories that will be available for the upcoming Honda Fit. The car as well as some accessories will be "tweaked" for the U.S. market therefore the images you are viewing may not be an actual representation of the finalized product. You will be able to see the U.S. version of the Fit during the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) which opens to the public on Jan. 14th 2006. We will keep you informed of any changes and look forward in helping you "Outfit your Fit" this Spring. - College Hills Honda Parts.
  • Options
    Personally, the final US version of the Honda Fit will be based on the new mid-model change (MMC) Fit that was released in Japan on December 8, 2005. Since the new MMC Fit has improvements in the L13A and L15A engines to reduce fuel consumption and also reduce exhaust emissions, that means the Fit may actually have fuel consumption more like 36 mpg city, 41 mpg highway EPA rating using the L15A VTEC engine, will likely have both five-speed manual and "normal" CVT automatic (Honda might drop the CVT-7 to keep costs down); it would be equipped very similar to the Fit now on sale in Mexico. I would also not be surprised that Honda also offers the L15A i-DSI engine rated at around 88 bhp as the more fuel-efficient model, with 38 mpg city, 43-44 mpg highway EPA rating.
  • Options
    One thing - the 38/44 would almost certainly be the 1.5L engine. The smaller one gets over 50mpg in Europe and Japan, and that's the base model prior to any tuning for the U.S. market.