Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• Options
    r0cky72r0cky72 Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 335i a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it!!! i have owned 5 M3's, M5 and many other BMW's, but this is perfect combo of luxury and speed. i also think the car is drop dead beautiful in grey w/ red seats. cannot wait to get up in the morning and drive!!
  • Options
    fastdriver123fastdriver123 Member Posts: 3
    I recently looked at the 335i but it was too expensive with a baby coming soon. I got a E90 330i with nearly every option. I love it and can't wait to drive it also...
  • Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Agree with you that the 335i is nice but is way over priced for what one gets.

Rocky
  • Options
    When one will in a yr. or 2 buy or lease a Cadillac CTS Super-V and own a real sports sedan ;) :P

Rocky
  • Options
    rebirth24rebirth24 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah .. but thats an American car .. ewwwww.

When one will in a yr. or 2 buy or lease a Cadillac CTS Super-V and own a real sports sedan
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    "Agree with you that the 335i is nice but is way over priced for what one gets."

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. To move up from the combination of power, handling, refinement, safety and practicality, i think i'd have to spend over 80K. I mean, i'd like a 911S, but it's not in my budget at the moment.. :)

However, if one of looking for space and gadgets, your point stands.
  • Options
    richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    "Handling is what makes the difference in BMW's" You are right sir, habitat1. However,no one has talked about the steering as Automobile says:"We're a little disappointed the 335i BMW didn't carry over the 330i sedan's hydraulic steering, which offers better feel and is more "talkative" than this car's electrically assisted system." I thought BMW learned it's lesson when the 2001 steering was overassisted and everybody bitched about it and they changed it back in 2002. It seems that they can't leave great things alone and always have to add the electronics where they aren't wanted (can everyone say I-Drive?)
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "really, where at ? I haven't seen that yet"

See my post #36 above.
    - Ray
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    I asked my local contact to look at the window sticker on the 335i Sedan w/Steptronic that just arrived at his dealership here in Atlanta.
    Since that is the configuration I'd buy...
    EPA = 20 / 29.
    - Ray
    Impressed...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    What? No response to my post on "overly assisted electric steering on the 335"? The subsequent posts were all about heated seats,gas mileage, and the difference in British gallons and American gallons. No wonder we are stuck with cars that move toward the mind numbing found in Lexus. Folks we deserve what we get when we agnore a change of the main reason we buy "the ultimate driving machine"
  • Options
    Quote:
    "
    Automobile says:"We're a little disappointed the 335i BMW didn't carry over the 330i sedan's hydraulic steering, which offers better feel and is more "talkative" than this car's electrically assisted system."

I have not yet driven a 335 - except a coupe, briefly, in the above mentioned parking lot \ autocross style 'event' .

Possibly tomorrow, if no one buys the 335 STEP Sedan that just arrived at my closest dealer...

Without driving one, I see no basis for me to comment. I see steering feel as somewhat subjective.

- Ray
    Interested in balance & handling & steering feel and TORQUE...........
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Okay, saw it. ;)

My point is the BMW 335i is a very nice vehicle. OTOH their are better alternatives that cost a whole lot less and one doesn't have to sacrifice performance and/or luxury. ;) I'm willing to bet the 2008' Cadillac CTS will be the front runner since GM, promises to best the 3 series in every element. So yeah one can make a argument the 3 series is still the benchmark, however the Infiniti G35, Acura TL Type-S, Lexus IS 350, and soon to be released 2008' Cadillac CTS are finally saying "we have something to say about that" ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    It depends on what you mean by "better" rocky.

There is a guy here at work who buys $2 frozen pizzas and insists that we're just victims of advertising for paying anything more than that. He also drives a geo metro and thinks the same about that, as well.

I think I'm going to euro-deliver a 335i sedan, which should cost me a little under 36K. what am i going to get for "A whole lot less than that" that's going to perform as well, have four seats, and be safe and luxurious?

Even comparing sticker prices.. A CTS starts at $30,405, and a 328i ( bigger engine, better fuel economy, more power, better handling, better interior, IMO ) stickers for $32,400, has free maintainance for four years, and id going to hold its value a whole lot better.

A CTS v6 luxury/sport stickers at $48,500.

Maybe the 2008 CTS will be a earth-shattering vehicle. But the old CTS was supposed to be a world beater as well.
  • Options
    There is a guy here at work who buys $2 frozen pizzas and insists that we're just victims of advertising for paying anything more than that. He also drives a geo metro and thinks the same about that, as well.

LOL, I think food and cars can't go hand and hand can they ? :blush:

I think I'm going to euro-deliver a 335i sedan, which should cost me a little under 36K. what am i going to get for "A whole lot less than that" that's going to perform as well, have four seats, and be safe and luxurious?

So you are getting stripped base version ? The coupe I priced up was almost $53K but it also was fully loaded. :surprise: If you wait for A 2008' Cadillac CTS, it will do all of the above for alot less $$$$ :P

Even comparing sticker prices.. A CTS starts at $30,405, and a 328i ( bigger engine, better fuel economy, more power, better handling, better interior, IMO ) stickers for $32,400, has free maintainance for four years, and id going to hold its value a whole lot better.

The CTS's around here are holding their values better than a BMW 328i. Especially the 6-speeds. ;)

A CTS v6 luxury/sport stickers at $48,500.

I've priced them up and yet to come up with that figure ? :confuse: $44K is the most I've seen em' for. The CTS-V is $52K

Maybe the 2008 CTS will be a earth-shattering vehicle. But the old CTS was supposed to be a world beater as well.

I don't think it was a world beater, but it was a good attempt for GM, and it sells quite well. The 08' will be a world beater since GM, promises to best BMW 3, in every category. I honestly think they will at least come real close if not accomplish that task. However the BMW appologist's have the media in their corner like Elmers, and for some reason BMW's flaws don't get a un-biased opinion in reviews.

I know I sound like a BMW, hater but actually I love the new 335i alot. If it wasn't over-priced I'd probably seriously look at owning one. I however think it's worth waiting for a 08' CTS. :)

Rocky
  • Options
    "So you are getting stripped base version ?"

No. Xenon headlights, logic-7 (very very nice) sterio, heated seats, sunroof, etc,etc.

"The 08' will be a world beater since GM, promises to best BMW 3, in every category."

Well, that's going to be great!

Ya know, i'd love a 911TT. It's out of my price range, but i don't spend time in that forum going on how it's a poor value and a corvette is cheaper.

dave
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "The 08' will be a world beater since GM, promises to best BMW 3, in every category."

Yawn, another prediction of the demise of the 3-Series. Hmmm, let's see, what month is this? Yup, it seems to be time for this type of comment to roll around again.

The sorry fact is that over the last eight years or so I've frequently seen almost that exact same comment. Simply change the manufacturer and the model of the car and the epitaph for the venerable 3-Series has been written so many times that some folks might could well be surprised that BMW is still making the poor thing. :P

Regarding your assertion that the CTS holds its value better than a 3-Series, ummm, sorry, not buying. While I’ve not extensively researched this issue, I just took a quick peek at the Kelly Blue Book for 2003 (a year I chose at random) and found the following:

330i - MSRP: $34,800 -- Blue Book: $26,300 - $27,700 -- Retained Value: 75.6% - 79.6%
    325i - MSRP: $27,800 -- Blue Book: $23,200 - $24,300 -- Retained Value: 83.5% - 87.4%
    CTS - MSRP: $30,000 -- Blue Book: $20,800 - $21,800 -- Retained Value: 69.3% - 72.6%

Let's see, a car that doesn't hold its value very well, a car that's about as ugly as an Aztek, and a car that requires a V8 borrowed from a Corvette to be able to perform better than a V6 Accord or Camry. Maybe it's just me, however, I don' get the attraction.

I was also very amused by your comment about all of the manual transmission equipped cars in your area. Geez, your area must be special indeed as I've never even seen a stick in a CTS. I went in to a couple of different dealerships two years back and asked to test drive one (just to see if the performance was as good as the zealots said it was) and the sales folks actually laughed at me. "Sorry, not only do we not stock any cars with a stick, in fact, we won't even order one even if a customer says that they want oner."

Me: "Uhhh, why not?"

"Because we know that nobody actually wants a stick and in the end they'll change their order to an automatic and dump it on us."

So, until the CTS dethrones the 3-Series (if ever), pardon me if I dismiss any and all pro-CTS rhetoric as just so much noise.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Oh, i must have deleted that from my post by accident. :)

I peeked online at used cars in carmax here. A '05 3.6L cts was selling at 25K and an '01 330i was selling for 26K.
  • Options
    "The 08' will be a world beater since GM, promises to best BMW 3, in every category. "

I do not believe everything GM 'promises'...
    Their track record, with very few exceptions, has not been stellar.
    No one has published definitive specifications on the 2008 CTS, let alone driving impressions or instrumented test numbers.
    The 2007 335 is here, now.
    It has the attention of many interested parties, and I plan to accept an offer of a thorough test drive, a.s.a.p.
    - Ray
    Looking more seriously at what is, rather than what GM is currently promising...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    I can name 2 cars IMHO that whip the 335i outright !!!! A 2007' G35, and IS 350. If you factor in pricing then it's a blow-out !!! :D

I can easily afford a BMW 335i but why waste my money on something that costs more and loses in every performance feat against a 07' G35. :P

You BMW apologists shouldn't be allowed to win when some MT editor says the "BMW feels better in the curve" :confuse: God, if I have to rely on that to win a comparo, please let me concede the victory. :mad: I'd rather lose than have to be given a victory on a decision like some blinde judges in a boxing match. How pathetic !!! :(

Rocky

P.S. This isn't your fathers GM, they will deliver on their promise this go around. ;)
  • Options
    "I can name 2 cars IMHO that whip the 335i outright !!!! A 2007' G35, and IS 350."

Hmmm, I'm thinking that them rose colored glasses of yers need a stronger perscription.

BTW, if you want to continue ranting about how pathetic the 335i is, please, take said rants to a comparo discussion. If one doesn't currently exist, go ahead and create it, I won't be seeing you there. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Well Shipo, when I get my "Too Big" CTS-V, and I'll lap not only your BMW 335i sedan/coupe, I'll gladly lap your over-priced BMW M3 Coupe/Sedan. :P

If GM, throws in the 600 hp. Super-V engine I'll take on your M5, and lap that also. I might beable to lap it with the 7.0 LS-6 :D

Neways back to your regulated, BMW only biased programming. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    LOL, sorry... I'll leave y'all alone and let y'all bask in the BMW sun.

Rocky
  • Options
    I freely admit that your, ummm, errr, ego (yeah, that's it) is bigger than mine. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    LOL, sometimes.... You are very "sly" with your ego. Very tactical ;) :P

Rocky
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    This is the BMW 335i forum, right? What can this forum possibly have to do with a Cadillac that doesn't even exist?

Maybe a comparison forum titled, "BMW 335i vs. pie-in-the-sky fantasy" would be appropriate?
  • Options
    "I can name 2 cars IMHO that whip the 335i outright !!!! A 2007' G35, and IS 350. If you factor in pricing then it's a blow-out !!!"

The two comparisons i've seen between the 3 and the new g35 have been losses for the g35--and that's the sedan (you keep quoting the coupe-with-every-option price for the BMW) with the non-turbo engine.

As for the is350, we have out own edmunds:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=109021

I think you're not really considering price properly. In the lexus test, the bmw was $1800 more expensive. At this price point, not much, and when you factor in resale and free service...
  • Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I'm no BMW apologist but I think your GM bias is getting a little out of control here. First thing, the current CTS-v is a great strait line car and a descent handler, but it doesn't come close to a wholistic driving experience afforded by BMW, or Audi. Now I will admit that I have a little bit of an Audi bias, but I will say that currently Audi has nothing dollar for dollar that can match the 335. And, no one from America has anything that can sniff it. I'm talking in the four door realm. [maybe a vet in two door land, but still not the "whole" experience, steering, balance, descent interior, ergonomics, seats] I've had a bit of seat time in the CTS-v, low rent interior compared to Audi, bus like steering wheel [should be on a bus, not a four door sports sedan] probably the worst gear box on the planet, and funky steering.
    I would love to be in line to put some money down on a bet that says an M3 will kill any caddy at the track. [this from a maniac S4 fan]
    I'm not sure that there has been a comparative test between the new G and the 335 although I bet it's close. The IS 350? don't even get me started.
    I used to really be in to mustangs because they were cheap and fast. But after driving slower German cars, I gotta say, they have more going for them all around IMO.
    Rocky, have your opinions, your entitled to em, but you don't help yourself with some of you arguments
    "Well Shipo, when I get my "Too Big" CTS-V, and I'll lap not only your BMW 335i sedan/coupe, I'll gladly lap your over-priced BMW M3 Coupe/Sedan."
    The current M3 stickers for less than a CTS-v, the new ones for both manufacturers will most likely be very similar in price. Whose overpriced?
  • Options
    Theirs that word again...free service....I can't believe how many people this sales gimmick gets. :surprise:

Rocky
  • Options
    I'm no BMW apologist but I think your GM bias is getting a little out of control here. First thing, the current CTS-v is a great strait line car and a descent handler, but it doesn't come close to a wholistic driving experience afforded by BMW, or Audi.

Well according to the test track results the Caddy kicks the stuffing out of the BMW 3.

next question:

Now I will admit that I have a little bit of an Audi bias, but I will say that currently Audi has nothing dollar for dollar that can match the 335. And, no one from America has anything that can sniff it. I'm talking in the four door realm. [maybe a vet in two door land, but still not the "whole" experience, steering, balance, descent interior, ergonomics, seats] I've had a bit of seat time in the CTS-v, low rent interior compared to Audi, bus like steering wheel [should be on a bus, not a four door sports sedan] probably the worst gear box on the planet, and funky steering.

I agree that the domestics don't yet have anything out their that matches the 335i's WHOLE driving experience YET.

I would love to be in line to put some money down on a bet that says an M3 will kill any caddy at the track. [this from a maniac S4 fan]

Yeah me 2, I'd love to take your money in a CTS-V or
    STS-V ;)

I'm not sure that there has been a comparative test between the new G and the 335 although I bet it's close. The IS 350? don't even get me started.

Yes I've seen a comparo and they gave the crown to the 330i. It was a 07' G35 vs. 330i. That should tell you the bias in the car media. What a joke :mad:

I used to really be in to mustangs because they were cheap and fast. But after driving slower German cars, I gotta say, they have more going for them all around IMO.

They do have alot going for them but your going to pay $10-20K avg. to start more for them.

Rocky, have your opinions, your entitled to em, but you don't help yourself with some of you arguments

The feeling is mutual as I feel the same torwards y'all.

The current M3 stickers for less than a CTS-v, the new ones for both manufacturers will most likely be very similar in price. Whose overpriced?

I'm yet to see a BMW M3 for under $56K Regardless the CTS-V can be much less than it's MSRP. One might be able to knock off a grand on a M3 if they shop around. The new CTS-V will route the M3 sedan we are about to see. Rumors I read have the new V-8 M3 coming in at $60K+
    If that is true then you BMW loyalists can drink that very expensive mixed drink, I'll stick to my American Made Sam Adams ;)

Thanks,

Rocky
  • Options
    "Theirs that word again...free service....I can't believe how many people this sales gimmick gets"

I can't believe how many people the "It has a shoddy interior, depreciates like a rock, is slower and gets worse mileage, but, hey, it's $1500 cheaper" sales gimmick gets.

;)

I mean, really, if you don't want to pay extra for performance, why are you looking at the CTS? Why not get a buick?

Rocky, you keep making claims and when they are shown to be wrong, not acknowledging it and making other claims. For example the resale question. That's not a terribly productive argumentation tactic.

Your price comparisons are another example. You're loading up the more-expensive 335i coupe with every option you get your "$50K bmw" figure, as compared to the entry-level CTS near $30K. It's been pointed out to you that the sedan is cheaper several times, and maxed out has a great deal that the CTS does not.

It would be just as fair for me to compare a base 328i to a loaded CTS and go on and on about how much more expensive the caddy is. Note how i don't spend my time in the caddy forum doing that, though.
  • Options
    amiramir Member Posts: 115
    can someone tell me some details of what performance center delivery means and ehat r its advantages?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Rocky, it sounds like you are looking for the Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans discussion.

Let's leave this one to the new 335i.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ...Rocky is off his Prozac again. Just when you thought it was safe to have a semi-intelligent conversation, his bipolar "GM is the performance king" illusion has come back.

One constructive suggestion I might make (as a carrover from another forum) is that we police ourselves to limit opinions to cars that we have actually seen and test driven ourselves. A rather novel suggestion that might be a problem for Rocky, since I'm still not completely convinced he really has a driver's license. But giving him that benefit of the doubt, at least it would eliminate ridiculous hyperbole and speculation, in an otherwise interesting forum.

I, myself, will need to get my butt into the 335i based upon what a conservative architect friend told me yesterday. Their last 4 vehicles have been Lexus. He was initially debating between an IS350 and GS, and then test drove the 335i on Saturday. His Lexus-biased comment was "absolutley no comparison, the BMW is that much more powerful, much sharper handling and just a pleasure to DRIVE compared to the IS350". Exact words. But I'm not going to take his word for it, I'm going to follow my own advice and try a 335i out for myself at the earliest opportunity.
  • Options
    dt63944dt63944 Member Posts: 66
    I recently ordered a 328xi and thought this might be a discussion about the new 3-series coupe. Guess I'll go over to the Subaru Forester XT discussion and read all the complaints about that other car I love to drive. I'll be looking forward to posting my comments about my 328xi and seeing the other comments from anyone who actually has extensively driven or owns one. Yes, I realize the 335's motor is quite different from the 328's, if there isn't a discussion for the 328 by then, I'll start one.
  • Options
    Try this link:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef13c75/6613

That is most likely where the bulk of the 328i discussions will take place. See you there. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I did the 335 driving event at reliant park in Houston on saturday, great car. Very quick, with some noticeable turbo lag. Nice fit and finish. [not quite Audi good, but good] Overall a nice time with a great car....
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Here, are the performance figures.

Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan
    Price as tested: $44,445 (base price: $39,395)
    Engine type: twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve inline-6, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection
    Displacement: 182 cu in, 2979cc
    Power (SAE net): 300 bhp @ 5800 rpm
    Torque (SAE net): 300 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm

Transmission: 6-speed manual
    Wheelbase: 108.7 in
    Length/width/height: 178.2/71.5/55.9 in
    Curb weight: 3616 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 4.8 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 11.8 sec
    Zero to 140 mph: 26.1 sec
    Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.6 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 13.5 sec @ 106 mph
    Top speed (governor limited): 145 mph
    Braking, 70–0 mph: 157 ft
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.89 g
    EPA fuel economy, city/highway: 19/28 mpg (C/D est)
  • Options
    I'll leave you 335i guys alone....It was however nice debating with y'all. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    If those figures are accurate, that's impressive fuel economy. I'm surprised the governor kicks in at 145--I thought most of the other high-end BMWs were 149 or 155.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Here is the first road test I saw so far of the BMW335i sedan. C & D got to 60MPH in 4.8 seconds which is one tenth of a second faster than the coupe. Although BMWs are not all about straight line performance this is not bad at all :shades:

link title
  • Options
    Thought that too. Think it might be a misprint.
  • Options
    nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    The BMW USA site states 130 mph base, 150 mph with sport suspension, electronically limited, for both sedan and coupe.
  • Options
    pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    “P.S. This isn't your fathers GM, they will deliver on their promise this go around.”

This statement is just pathetic, without any information you willing to believe soon to be out of business GM???? Even Lexus failed to deliver what they promised, IS is not even close to what they promised. G35 was very capable and I’m sure the new one is even better then before. But how can you compare those vehicles and declare a winner without driving them or even seeing one revue?? Everyone value things differently, for me 335 is the best value on the market, because it offers something no other vehicle in their class does, crisp handling, exceptional road feel, and superb steering response. If you can’t feel the difference, better for you, as you have wider choice of vehicles.

P.S. 911Turbo is considered to be the best value on the market at 150K, I bet you thought it was GIO MetroJ
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The BMW USA site states 130 mph base, 150 mph with sport suspension, electronically limited, for both sedan and coupe.

I'm certain that Jim C. will be able to fix that problem...
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Having recently driven the S4 0-60 5.3 and RS4 4.9. I thought the 335I Coupe "felt" as fast. So, I dont doubt the numbers too much. It has allready. been dyno'ed at more than 300hp.

Quite the bargain Compaired to a 70K RS4 Id say...

DL
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure on the track the 335 would be a memory against an rs4
  • Options
    Okay... No Comment :P

Rocky
  • Options
    Drive dependent. :P At my last driving school a bunch of guys in M3s would lose my lowly ZHP on the straights but in the corners I'd be on their bumpers and passing them when safe. It kills me to think what i could have done with an M3 on that track...sigh.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    This "my car will beat your car" sounds remarkably like me and my friend saying "my dad will beat up your dad" when I was around 3 or 4. I'm all up for a good debate, but debating without facts to back it up (sources), it is just heresay/opinion and not a 'fact'.

I like the comment about the American vehicles not having a car that can compete in all around performance YET. Do people think that as American cars advance, the other cars are just stagnating around?

I honestly welcome this competition! With the 3 having been the benchmark for so long, everybody is shooting for it and trying to knock it off the benchmark throne. What that does is drive automakers to offer good looking, good accelerating, good handling vehicles for a decent price. In the end, we ALL win. Not everybody has to drive a BMW, or a Lexus, or a Cadillac. You go with what combination of looks, styling, performance, price, luxury, sport, etc YOU are willing to pay. Some see value in BMW's. Some don't. Some see value in Cadillacs. Some don't.

Regarding value, yes the BMW service is a valuable marketing step. Who else do you know that will change pads/rotors on brakes as part of normal service? If you know of somebody, please post the link stating they provide this. That brake job of pads/rotors and other maintenance can get pricey when you get into this segment of vehicle, so any price break here is worth it.

But I do know Shipo wouldn't use that as he'd want non-OEM pads on his BMW. :)

-Paul
This discussion has been closed.