Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Lots of Problems

Comments

• madden322madden322 Member Posts: 7
    I don't understand the backorder stuff. When I got my throttlebody replaced for the second time last month, I got it back in 1 day. How in the world did they get that throttle body? The car runs great, but now I am worried about the fire scenario.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    I never heard of a fire issue with the Freestyle. The writer is probably confused with the cruise control issue on some older Fords. A little bit of information can be a dangerous thing. A little bit of incorrect information is really bad. Our throttle body was replaced under warranty, and no problems since. I wonder how many transmissions have been incorrectly diagnosed because of the throttle body issue.
  • freestyle713freestyle713 Member Posts: 1
    On a trip from Michigan to Florida on 8/18/2010 my 2006 Freestyle
    (odometer 60,000) lurched while slowly reversing from a parking space at a Georgia gas station. I thought I must have been parked on a hill so I continued to back up, and the problem happened again. The wrench indicator light came on, which according to my manual, meant we may have had some "bad gasoline" and the light should go off after 3 driving cyles. The light did turn off after a few days, but the problem happened again last week while in reverse at a grocery store back in Michigan. the wrench indicator came on, and after turning the ignition off and parking for a few minutes, the light was off again. Both occurences happened while running the A/C in 90 degree heat. I have yet to take the car to a repair shop, but will be trying the recommended use of Gumout to clean the fuel system this afternoon! After reading the other posts on this site, I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and will also do the same with Ford at www.fordowner.com
    Thank you to all who have posted similar issues/complaints about the Freestyle--hopefully we can get some answers/accountability from Ford!
  • hotbitehotbite Member Posts: 5
    Please let us know how it works out for you! Good luck and safe driving!!
  • 06freestylemar06freestylemar Member Posts: 2
    Everyone: I tried every short cut recommendation, but unfortunately, it came down to replacing the throttle body, TSP sensor and a new top engine motor mount. Service tech believes the engine mount was compromised with the lurching and engine revving that was a direct result from a throttle body issue. Service Tech stated, his dealership has seen this problem countless times and with no sympathy from Michigan.
    I must note that this is the 2nd throttle body replaced during our ownership and from the first to the second replacement it occurred within 30,000 miles. There are presently, 66,000 miles on this vehicle.
    It is a back ordered part taking months to receive, my former neighbor who works for the 3rd largest FORD dealer said parts received are a direct result in sales and customer service ranking. So, if you are lucky to live in metro of a major dealer.. good news for you. My throttle body part was forfeited by a family transferred overseas last month and lucky me, I was next in request. Cost to me: roughly, over $1300. First time under warranty.
    Second issue: My AC failed compressor must be replaced. The compressor is available, however, the dryer recirculator part is back ordered 6 weeks!
    My neighbor is stepping up. He is selling me the part and shipping this part from his dealer to my door. Granted, it isn't my local small town dealer, but we live in a humid southern state and it's my money. Cost to me $1560.

Several complaints to NHTSA and no word. SAVE your receipts FORD must reimburse you, even if replaced prior to recall. Number of time replaced is endless, they must refund your prior fixes in entirety. God speed.
  • hotbitehotbite Member Posts: 5
    Sorry to hear the news...and thanks for keeping us posted. I'm thinking it might be time to sell my Freestyle.
  • calcadellcalcadell Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our 2007 Freestyle Aug3 and went on a three week extended 3K mile trip. I noticed a few time when I moved the car at idle speed it lurched. The last day when we stopped for lunch while pulling out of the parking space, it lurched and the engine died. It started right up but the cruise control didn't work and I noticed when pulling out from a stop the engine just didn't seem to have much power. After stopping at a rest stop my wife drove and everything worked fine. Today when she was backing out of the garage it did a lurch. I got on this site and found many with this problem. I called the Nat Hwy Trans & Safety Bd and filed a complaint. Think I'll try the Gumout and see what happens.
  • shiloh3465shiloh3465 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 2007 Ford Freestyle earlier this year. Shortly after purchasing the vehicle, I noticed that it would occasionally lunge forward while I was holding the brake. This occured when the car was in drive and also in reverse. Over the next couple of months the lunging continued to get worse. A couple of times the car lunged forward, stalled and the wrench light came on. After a few minutes, the car would start and the wrench light went out. We took the car to a Ford dealership, and they didn't find any codes and said that there was nothing wrong with the car. We told them about the lunging, but they didn't notice it. Immediately after picking up the car it started the lunging. I read on this forum that some other owners had taken their cars for fuel induction service. So, I took the car to a different Ford dealership and had the fuel induction service done. It's been about a week since having the service done, and there has not been any lunging and the car is running better than it did. We are hoping that this will continue and are going to start putting injection cleaners in with after every couple of fillups. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSB.
  • lcjesselcjesse Member Posts: 30
    glad to see that you went with the fuel induction service. I had mine done 3 months (~3500 miles) ago and have not had 1 problem since. I also was regularly using BP gas but now I am switching between Shell and BP. Now i am at 61K and having to consider the recommended 60K CVT transmission service. Hope I can find a dealership that has CVT trained tech to do the work. Only 12 more payments to go, so i get it paid off before it dies.
  • shiloh3465shiloh3465 Member Posts: 2
    We are now a couple of weeks out from the fuel induction service and the freestyle is still running great. There has not been any lunging/surging. I have also stopped purchasing gas at Krogers, and have been purchasing it from Shell.
  • buckateerbuckateer Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problems with my 2006 Freestyle. I live in Southern Alabama and feel the heat had alot to do with the problems. I ordered an electronic throttle body through my local Ford dealer ($455), received it the next day along with an information sheet on how to replace it, and replaced it in about 15 - 20 minutes. The car has been running great since then. We started noticing the problem when we had just under 100,000 miles. We now have approximately 107,000 miles on this vehicle.
  • pml13pml13 Member Posts: 1
    2007 model has been refusing to change from low to drive upon acceleration. RPMs rise above 4000-5000. To force the car into drive, I have to either punch the accelerator or stop, manually shift the automatic transmission into Low, accelerate to around 20 MPH, then manually shift to Drive. PCM and TCM have been reprogrammed, but it didn't help. Subsequent to the reprogram, the car appeared to go into neutral. The engine was running, but the wheels weren't rolling. Also, I've noticed that the RPMs would sometimes fluctuate up and down without any apparent reason. Any ideas as to what this might be. My dealer seems to be stumped. Surely, this isn't the only Freestyle exhibiting these symptoms. (52,000 miles)
  • debbiew75debbiew75 Member Posts: 19
    I HAVE A 2007, NEW TRANSMISSION ALSO! AND FORD AGREED TO PAY 1/2! WASN'T THAT NICE OF THEM! I WAS 19 MILES OVER MY ESP!!! AND OF COURSE I HAVE REPLACE THE THROTTLE BODY TWICE NOW! 82,000 WONDERFUL MILES!
  • mishmousemishmouse Member Posts: 2
    After doing some research into the Freestyle I was impressed with its features, AWD, 7 passenger seating, doors that allow you to fit a car seat into it. I was able to find one locally, but after reading about the Throttle Body Issue and how it is more of a fly by wire communication between the gas pedal and the throttle causes me some concern especially if I am going to pay over 9K for a 2007 with over 141K on it.

I am wondering if the Taurus X has similar issues to the Freestyle?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I am wondering if the Taurus X has similar issues to the Freestyle? "

No. The Taurus X has a conventional 6 speed transmission.
  • freestyle06freestyle06 Member Posts: 8
    I have an '06 Freestyle with 35K miles on it. I've also noticed the "lurching" described in this forum but it hasn't been bad enough to take it in; however, yesterday the car didn't even start. Apparently, a control arm was loose so the fuel line came off causing fuel to be leaked on my driveway. I was able to reconnect the fuel line and restart it, but do you think the lurching, control arm, fuel line issues are interrelated? If so, what are the possible solution(s)? Thank you.
  • suzatsasuzatsa Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2008 taurus x. i was driving 70 on the interstate with the cruise control on. when i hit the gas pedal to accelerate to manuever a right lane pass, the engine revved, but my speed did not go up. since i couldn't negotiate the pass, i needed to slow to the speed of the car in front of me..and the brakes didn't work! i hit them 2x, and manually turned the cruise off. it wasn't until i stood on the brakes that they engaged, the revving stopped, and i heard a snapping noise. i continued my trip without the cruise activated with no problems...but that was too close of a call. i was looking to see where i was going to be flying off the road!
    "i have a 2008 taurus x. i was driving 70 on the interstate with the cruise control on. when i hit the gas pedal to accelerate to manuever a right lane pass, the engine revved, but my speed did not go up. since i couldn't negotiate the pass, i needed to slow to the speed of the car in front of me..and the brakes didn't work! i hit them 2x, and manually turned the cruise off. it wasn't until i stood on the brakes that they engaged, the revving stopped, and i heard a snapping noise. i continued my trip without the cruise activated with no problems...but that was too close of a call. i was looking to see where i was going to be flying off the road!"

You are on the wrong forum; the Taurus X is a different vehicle than a Freestyle. Although the main difference is the transmission, 6 speed vice CVT.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2011
    It gets confusing but the 2008 Ford Taurus X is essentially a relabeled version of the previous year's Freestyle. So we get a lot of overlap.

We even have discussions like Ford Freestyle - Taurus X.
    edited January 2011
    "It gets confusing but the 2008 Ford Taurus X is essentially a relabeled version of the previous year's Freestyle. So we get a lot of overlap. "

Yes, but it had a completely different transmission, and from what I have read it seems that the "throttle body" is part of the CVT transmission, which the Taurus X does not use. I'm not certain, but I think the engine may be a bit more powerful.

The other parts of the design, like the interior and exterior, are the same.
  • sanmiguel61sanmiguel61 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 freestyle with 50K miles. The car began the lurching issues and after doing some online research the concensus was to have the throttle body replaced. I checked with Ford and my mechanic, the part has a three month back order problem due to a manufacturer change. The cost quoted for replacement was from $650 to $850. I began to do a little more research and found where a mechanic that was trained by Ford had removed the air intake hose (3" black round tube). he then used carberator cleaner to disolve the black deposits when spraying back into the throat of the unit. He replaced the hose and the lurching problem was resolved. I did the same process and sure enough the problem was resolved for less than $5.00.
  • garyman1garyman1 Member Posts: 1
    http://www.nclemonlawattorney.com/

He is looking into the problems, But you must contact him ASAP.

Thanks
  • tnik1tnik1 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my Ford dealer told me that the transmission in my 2007 Freestyle LTD was shot and it would cost approx $7200 (CDN) to install a reconditioned transmission. There are only 104,000 km on this vehicle. Anyone have any suggestions for getting Ford to pay some of the cost?
  • hammer57hammer57 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 Freestyle that has recently had an electronics issue.....does anyone have the same or heard of this before and knows what the repair is....as usual Ford has no idea what the problem could be but is will to replace several parts at an initial estimate of $800.00. When driving the digital gages will go to zero and may or may not turn back on. The instrument lights also may or may not go off. The rear backup sensors will indicate a vehicle is too close even while in drive......does anyone have any idea what the issue is. I believe it is a computer chip issue, but need to narrowit down.
  • coleemncoleemn Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an 05 Freestyle and have been having electrical issues as well. The gas was 3/4 full but the gauge suddenly dropped to below E and the low light indicator came back on. After driving another 1/4 mile the gauge went back up to where it was. There are also issues when I use the cruise control. The 1st time, the wrench indicator and the traction control indicator came on and so I hurried and turned off the cruise control and the lights on the dash went off. I didn't use cruise again until recently when I was going about 65-70 mph on the highway. The vehicle suddenly acted like it wasn't getting any gas (was sputtering and the tachometer & speedometer were going crazy and the wrench indicator light up), even when I had my foot on the gas pedal it would not stop sputtering or gain speed. I had to coast over to the shoulder and turn the vehicle off and restart it, and then it ran fine the rest of the way. I spoke w/the sales manager and he said it sounds like electrical issues and left it at that. VERY vague...but VERY frustrating!
  • bbusseybbussey Member Posts: 3
    Coleemn and the more recent post,

Did you hear a clicking sound when your gauges went out? Did they blink, or drop to zero? Was your radio affected?

If so, I had a similar problem with my Saab 9000 years ago. The dealer kept it for over a month and couldn't figure out what it was. I mentioned this concern to a customer of mine and he suggested replacing the positive battery cable. I told him the cable looked fine. He said just do it. And it worked! Apparently there was wire corrosion covered by the cable covering. I never had any trouble again.

Just a thought...
  • hier4hier4 Member Posts: 1
    i had something similar, not as bad, until I changed the battery. Must have had a bad cell. Changed battery, have not had trouble since. Another post recommended battery cable. Sound likely suspect.

Now if I could figure out how to fine the tail light connectors so I can wire for trail lights.

Good luck.
  • sowen8sowen8 Member Posts: 6
    I have the same issue. When my gauges drop out it usually takes the air conditioner with it. Recently it started taking out the transmission when they dropped out. I've been told that it may be a short in the wiring harness or the control module (brains) is going out. It's in the shop right now being looked at. They are supposed to call me today and let me know what it is. I will post it when I know something more specific. All I know is that I am afraid to go to far from my house with the thing. It has been a reliable vehicle up until now.
    Heard back from the shop on my 05 Freestyle. It's the instrument cluster causing the problem we both are having. It can only be replaced by the dealership. The dealership said that worst case scenario would be a cost of $650. Hope this helps. Tomorrow, I'm off to the dealership to get mine fixed.
  • dhfreeonedhfreeone Member Posts: 1
    Consider Class Action Lawsuit. People have won against Saturn for the same transmission. I am also having the same problem now wiyh only 38,000 miles on my 2006 Ford Freestyle. I will be pursuiing this also. My car is actually at the dealership right now.
    "Consider Class Action Lawsuit. People have won against Saturn for the same transmission. I am also having the same problem now wiyh only 38,000 miles on my 2006 Ford Freestyle. I will be pursuiing this also. My car is actually at the dealership right now. "

I don't think the Saturn transmission is the same as the Ford. So far as I know only Ford (and some European models) used the German steel belt for their CVT.

Good luck in any case.
  • snomamasnomama Member Posts: 1
    Did you get you instrument cluster replaced? and the big question is did it solve the problem. My 05 freestyle justed started the same thing. I live in a town with 3 mechanic shops none of whom I trust including my Ford dealership. I would take my car So before I drive to the next city to have work done I want to do my research.
    It did fix the problem....haven't had so much as a hiccup out of the old girl. Be in for sticker shock though.....it cost me $819 to get it fixed.
  • emmaureremmaurer Member Posts: 6
    I am currently having the same problem. I had my car in the shop at $66,000 miles and told them I was having transmission problems, at the same time I found out I also had a throttle body problem....The dealership is trying to say it's one in the same. My RPM's fluctuate greatly and when I try to quickly pickup speed (like to merge with highway traffic) the RPM's go way up and then don't drop down until you let of the gas a little...almost like a manual transmission. I live in Texas so I am not sure if I would have to file class action here or not...this needs to be addressed, most 2005-2006 have this problem, and mid way through 06 I think they figured it out because in 07 they stopped using this transmission. That should tell you something.
  • emily_in_texasemily_in_texas Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact same problem, had my 2006 Freestyle in and had the entire transmission replaced because I was told there were metal shavings in it and not even 2 miles down the road the transmission powered down again... I had the throttle body assembly replaced and haven't had a bit of problems out of it since!!! My husband is NOT a mechanic but replaced the part in something like 5 minutes, and we bought the part online for half the price the dealership wanted for it. My car was in the Ford dealership THREE TIMES without a proper diagnosis. Talk about frustrating. Thanks FORD for selling a car that your mechanics can't work on, and not helping when you have massive repetetive problems in all of the Freestyles. Pathetic.
  • akcallakcall Member Posts: 6
    Yes , my passenger seat middle row is stuck! They dealer ship even took a crow bar to it and it will not come up. They said that they will have to take the entire seat out....
    Don't let them take the seat out...if you go to www.safecar.gov you can find service bulletins on our vehicle...atleast 17 of them, the bulletins are put out by ford and they tell about problems with the vehicle...you can find one on the seat and take it to the dealer and tell them that is what the problem is...it is a warrantee covered item so if your still under the warranty you can get it done. Not sure how much it costs otherwise. Just an fyi...their is a class action lawsuit that has been filed against Ford for the throttle body problems hoping they get the tranny one filed too. Good luck!!
    It's mostly the 2005-2007 that have so many problems...glad yours works great...wish mine didn't leave me abandoned 150 miles from the nearest dealership and in the dessert...it was like a scene from a movie and I certainly wasn't laughing. I hope your Freestyle continues to be reliable. Good Luck!!
  • chsmrhchsmrh Member Posts: 1
    I traded my 2007 Freestyle in today! I bought the car new and within six months the passenger leather seat came apart at the seams and had to be replaced. At least it was covered by warranty. At 2 1/2 years ( and 2000 miles over warranty) The air conditioner compressor and the air conditioning clutch went out-because of metal shavings. That was a $2000.00 repair. I also had to get new tires and new brakes. The car started lunging this spring when I put it in reverse or in drive without my feet being on the gas ( danger, danger). Last week the transmission starting acting up. The car would power down and just chug along. I noticed from these posts that the next thing to happen would probably be that the car would cut off while driving. I decided to get out while I could, otherwise a $25,000 car would end up costing $50,000 with all the repair costs! What was Ford thinking?
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    edited July 2011
    What was Ford thinking? They needed to fill the gap until the re-designed Explorer came out with the faulty and sales starved Freestyle and attempt to save face Taurus X, another sales flop.
    edited July 2011
    Actually, I think that the Freestyle made a better SUV than the Explorer, except for towing. It was far better for urban tasks. It hauled people and got great MPG. My guess is that the management at Ford worried about the FS stealing sales from the Explorer, and didn't market the vehicle. This was stupid and short sighted, as was not offering the CVT as an option rather than as standard. The FS was styled very much like an Explorer.

The Flex is a Taurus X with a different body shell, so the basic utility and shape of the FS lives on. With a 6 speed transmission.
  • hannahrosehannahrose Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle that decided to just completely stop working today. I was pulling out of a parking lot into traffic, hit my gas pedal to accelerate, and NOTHING! Instead, there I am sitting in the lane for oncoming traffic with a car that I can't get to budge. Fantastic. The car was still on. It turns on and off with no problems whatsoever. It just won't go anywhere. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?
  • happygalazhappygalaz Member Posts: 5
    How was your problem resolved. My dealership quaoted me $850 plus for a new computer chip. My guages all drop to zero and it is usually when I am going uphill. The AC is not affected nor the radio nor the power steering. The gas, speedometer and rpms go to zero. The car still gets great mileage at 104K and the transmission is wondrerful.
  • bbusseybbussey Member Posts: 3
    Hi Sowen8,

Your "gauges all drop to zero" problem sounds a lot like a challenge I had with my Saab 9000 years ago. Does your Freestyle lurch and appear to cut off briefly when it happens? My radio also cut off - again briefly with the instruments as I recall.

I took it to the dealer. They kept it over a month. They thought it might be the "computer" but I seem to recall they checked that as well. Still no progress.

A Saab technician from a local shop came in to REI where I was selling backpacks at the time and I described my problem. He said to replace the battery cable(s). I can't recall if it was the positive, negative or both.

I told my dealer this. They said they had already "checked" the battery cables and they were fine. I told them to replace them. They did and the problem was solved.

You might suggest your dealer replace your battery cable(s) or perhaps do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Bill B.
  • bjefflambbjefflamb Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2007 Freestyle in March with 60K miles. My car was doing the exact same thing as your car. I am located in Texas where we are having a record breaking heat wave. I noticed my car 'acts up' mostly when it gets very hot, or when it's been idling for a little bit. usually it would cut out and the wrench light would come on, but this week it caused the check engine light :sick: to come on. Took it into the Dealership, they just called back and said it was the Throttle Body. So they will replace that. I hope this will fix the problem. Fingers Crossed.
  • mickielynnmickielynn Member Posts: 2
    Mine did the exact same thing to me yesterday. Any feedback would be great. I bought mine used and have had it less than three weeks. Going in to discuss things with the dealer today. Not a happy camper. Left me stranded in traffic yesterday in Colorado Springs. Have loved it for the last couple weeks. Hope the dealer stands by things.
    How did you get your problem resolved? Mine would do this intermittently and the dealership told me it was the computer chip. Battery cables would be a lot cheaper as some suggested. Last night on a long trip the AC went off as well as all the guages and dash lights. It stayed off this time for about fifteen minutes and the car ran badly. Then it quit. It did it again a few times but only for a minute or so. Please let me know how it resolved. Thanks!
  • abessengerabessenger Member Posts: 10
    I fixed my problem by getting the throttle body cleaned. It fixed the problem for over a year, but it has started jumping forward, even with your foot on the brake, so it is time again. At least it was a quick fix though.
  • creed26566creed26566 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 06 Freestyle for 2 years. Did the surging thing, wrench light came on ,they replaced the air flow sensor. This year did it again , but stalled out and lost power, they replaced the throttle body. By the way I'm now out 1600. because none of this is coverered under the warranty. Now its back at shop today 2 weeks later and it needs a AC compressor. 1500.00.
    They say it covered under warranty but I have to pay deductible which my paper work says I have a zero deductible. I have reported them to the Attorney General because of there warranties and to Dept of Motor Vehicles for unsafe vehicles. They are investigating these cars.
    DON"T BUY ONE. I will never buy a Ford again.
    Until I got to 102K I had few problems: mostly brakes...they don't stay round...but I do a lot of mountain driving...and a couple of engine mounts broke.
    then the throttle control went out almost $900 and now at 105K the instrument cluster...$769.39.
    The AC still is great (it was 117 degrees yesterday and the AC worked well) as is the transmission and I have never changed those fluids as I was advised not to with the idea that once opened then the trouble begins.
    I think I lucked out on my car so far with no real problems until now, just good maintenance and frequent oil changes. I had a lemon T-Bird once and know how disappointing and frustrating it can be.