Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

My worst car ever!

Comments

• Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    all vote for the best corporations each year...and Porsche comes out on top frequently.

What bewilders me is that Porsche announced that they will move strategically and buy 20% of VW,,,, and with all their engineering prowess and forsight , they thought buying into VW was the best move for them ????

OK...yes...the touareg does share its platform with the cayenne....but gosh.....would they not want to invest in more tech advanced and reliable company...like toyota ?
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,720
    One of my cousins was a realtor, and he had an Eagle Premier. Briefly. Ended up being a horrible piece of junk. He passed away soon after he bought it, and I don't know how long his wife had it, but it wasn't long! She drives a 2000+ Taurus now, so I guess it soured their relationship with Chrysler. In the past, they mainly had Chrysler products. Before the Premier they had a 1985 Fifth Avenue that got involved in a multiple car pileup and, while totaled, was the only one driveable after the crash!

I know they're something to be avoided, but I've always been kinda intrigued by the Premier/Monaco. I test drove a used Monaco years ago, and liked it. But knew better than to buy it!

I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that the Intrepid/Concorde was inspired by the Premier/Monaco. I don't think it's actually based on the same platform, but the concept of a large-ish, roomy FWD car with a longitudinal engine was the same.

Considering how troublesome earlier versions of the Intrepid, Concorde, and Vision could be, maybe they WERE related to the old Monaco/Premier! :blush:
  • Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    ...Considering how troublesome...", which was too bad, because, for their day, they sure got the styling right.
  • Options
    rbentonrbenton Member Posts: 30
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    but the worse car I have ever had was a new 1995 Plymouth Neon coupe. It was returned to the shop for repair with in one week of driving off the lot. I owned it a year and four months. In that time I had a folder over three inches thick of repair statements. At one point it was at the dealer for two months because they nor Chrysler knew what was wrong with it. Replaced were, wheel bearings,spindles, steering column, door panel, dash top, dash support bar, head light switch, throttle body, injector's, rear inner fender welds sealed, rubber spacers put on top of rear springs to keep it from bottoming the rear wheels against the inner fenders over bumps, brake cables replaced, driver door hinges replaced(door dropped two inches when opened), fuel pump, under hood wiring harness, crank, cam and both o2 sensors, Speed sensor, exhaust flex coupling O ring.(3 times) :lemon: body flex was so bad that on curves the window opposite the direction of the turn would pull away from the weather stripping enough that you could stick your fingers in between the glass and the moldings. It was the first sedan I have ever seen that hand more cowl shake then an old convertible. The car left me stranded more times then I care to talk about. The worse one was when the fuel pump went out in a snow storm. :mad:
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,826
    The worse one was when the fuel pump went out in a snow storm.

I hope it was dressed for the weather! I tell my fuel pump all the time, "please dress warmly if you are going to go outside," but does it listen to me? Oh no, and then I hear nothing but complaints when it comes in sniffling and shivering from the cold. :P

All apologies, but with a car THAT bad, any humor is good humor. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    The worse cars that I've owned have been:

1978 Ford Fairmont

1981 VW Rabbit Diesel

1989 Buick Park Avenue

The Fairmont was falling apart from the day that we drove it home from the Ford dealership. It was also getting very bad mileage (like 8 mpg). We eventually traded it in for another piece of junk, the VW Rabbit.

The 1981 Rabbit was built in Mexico. About 6 months after we purchased this car, my mother got rear ended in a 6 car pileup with it and the insirance company didn't total the car. They fixed it and ever since then, everything needed repair on this car. The fuel pump was no good and had to be changed for $800, the gears would grind when shifting and the dashboard would shake violently whenever the car was idling. Also, the front suspension was always being repaired. This car became an overnight money pit right after I got it back from the body shop after it got rear ended. Finally on the 4th year of ownership, the hood latch broke and I was unable to open up the hood to check the fluids. Eventually, the plastic coolant bottle sprung a leak and I was driving the car around without anti-freeze. The engine seized and I ended up parking the car in my driveway and I purchased a brand new Honda Civic S. Then 4 years later, we gave tyhe Rabbit away to a mechanic for free.

After owning the 85 Honda Civic S for 4 years, I got rear ended and my Honda got totalled. I ended up purchasing a brand new Buick Park Avenue after this because I wanted something big and safer to drive. About 7 months after I puchased my Park Avenue, I started having problems with the engine making popping noises while I was driving and accelerating. GM eas never able to fix this problem. I ended up trading the Park Avenue in for a brand new 92 Cadillac Sedan Deville. The Caddy was an excellent car. I owned it for a little more than 2 1/2 years and it ran without any problems. I ended up loaning it to my father for him to drive up to Niagara Falls where he got t-boned and totalled the car. :cry:
    I loved my 92 Cadillac Sedan Deville. It was the BEST american made car that I ever owned. I still like AMerican cars and I now own 2 Ford Mustangs. One is a GT and the other is a V6. Both cars are excellent vehicles and I love them even more than I did my Cadillac.
  • Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I baught it cheap, and it was Elcheapo to me. Sure it was pretty darn quick, but it had a leaky sunroof and I baught it "as is" It ran good for awhile, then all of a sudden I started having problems with the throttle sticking and I took it to the auction and got screwed. :sick:

Rocky
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Funny that you had so much trouble with the 1989 Park Avenue. I have an '88 model and the car is excellent. I've been driving it almost exclusively in light of today's insane fuel prices. Anyway, a ladyfriend of mine still has her 1992 Cadillac DeVille. It inspired me to get a 1994 DeVille that gave me 8 trouble-free years and 96K miles before I traded it for my Seville.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Makes you wonder what VW is thinking (or smoking) by bringing back that name!

My worst in its early miles was...none other than the infamous Rabbit, a first-year 1975 model. The carbureted wonder. Had to be towed numerous times. Clutch was replaced at 13K miles (out of warranty), and I had learned to drive on a stick, so it wasn't me. Cracks in the floor under the front seats. I got rid of the car before 40K miles.

My worst in its later miles was my 1990 Mercury Sable -- all the usual Taurus/Sable problems, including a failed transmission at 93K miles, frequent expensive a/c failures, water pumps and alternators galore, and on and on. Most of the problems started after the 4-year car payments were done, at about 64-65K miles. Should have dumped it then, in hindsight.
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Re 9:30 Club: 'Dre,if your ex liked to go there, maybe she was a keeper...
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    The "Bunny" is bad enough. VW would have to be going through a protracted psychotic episode aggravated by alcoholism and chronic heroin abuse to bring back the Dasher.
  • Options
    LOL. In college me and three of my friends drove a Diesel Dasher from Florida to Washington State. Talk about slow up the mountains! We used the truck lanes and belched as much black smoke as a old Mack truck. :shades:
  • Options
    pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    1996 Volkswagen Jetta Trek. I'm a pretty forgiving guy, but if somebody gave me a brand new VW I would drive it to a cornfield, blow it up, and relieve myself on the smoking wreck.

Even my wife (then girlfriend) hated that car, and she drove a 1990 Ford Tempo. Whereas the Ford would leave us stranded intermittantly, the Jetta would reliably self-destruct once a month or so. If I'd been a bit older, I would have lemon-lawed that thing and not looked back. Thank God it was a lease.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,297
    Why not also rename the Passat the Quantum?

VW has gone to a 4/50 warranty, and in my experience on their late models, they now have it nailed so that the major issues don't start until the car is just past the warranty and lemon law period, so if you're lucky (in the relative sense), you'll get a brief period of enjoyment out of the car before it completely self-destructs.

Hyundai already outranks VW/Audi by a large margin on the JD Powers Vehicle Dependability Study. With more shared models between Hyundai and Kia, I'd expect Kia to do the same in the next few years.
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Do you all think that the new so-called '07 Rabbit will make any significant inroads here in the U.S., in terms of sales and driving performance?
  • Options
    Not sure. VW sells on the styling, nice interiors and they way they drive. All of which are done well. Reliability is their big down fall. Everyone I know likes their looks and the feel of the way they drive but are scared to buy one. Warranty or no.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    if no-one is buying the new Jetta, why would they buy the Golf? Historically, sales of that platform have been like 90% sedan, 10% hatchback. Of course, if they stick to the $16K base price, it will become the least expensive model in the line-up, which is enticing to some, I imagine.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    my Dad had a VW Bug. He had some problems with it too.

I liked the last generation Passat(02-05) but VW's have too many problems. The new Passat its outside just don;t excite like the 02-05 model's did.
  • Options
    kronykrony Member Posts: 110
    In high school I had a '85 Cavalier Type-10 hatchback with a 4 speed manual.

Here is the kicker...I shared ownership with my older brother who used to work with cattle. On many, many occasions he would place cow manure soiled clothes directly in the back after working, and not clean the car.

Did I mention it was a hatchback?

I used a lot of carpet cleaner on that car...
  • Options
    phinneas519phinneas519 Member Posts: 113
    I'd have to say my absolute worst car ever was an '88 Acura Integra LS manual. The car just hated to go into fifth gear, which made driving on the highway really fun. In fact, third gear was pretty troublesome too, making city driving a challenge. For the several months I actually drove it, the thing broke down on me at least several times and killed at least two brand new batteries I put into it.

The worst part was when the car died on me and I had to leave it in a town 40 minutes away, near a relative's house. I managed to get away without being nailed for overnight parking on a road in winter for three nights. Then my brothers towed the vehicle to a Firestone shop where the ignition and distributor was fixed to the tune of $399. I finally got the car back to my town where it was towed for illegal parking, costing $200...by then I was getting sick of it and sold it for $50 when it sat in my brother's church parking lot for several months. It breaks down like this:

Junked out Integra: $300 plus licensing fees and taxes

Repairs: $399

Towing: $200

Having a story to tell on Edmunds: Priceless
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Wrt VWs' Golf/GTI/Rabbit/whatever, if you want creature comforts like a power seat, they stick you with an all black interior and satellite radio.

Wrt my worst car, a tie between 3;
    Honda '82 Accord (carburetor boiled dry during summer parking, Honda did nothing),
    '81 Mazda GLC"3" (built on a pilot line; missing bolts throughout engine, oil leaks, trim fell off, etc),
    '03 Saturn Ion (ridiculously cheap rattly interior, engine refused to start, transmission lurched and grabbed constantly).

Best car? An '83 Camry. Went 9 years with only two major problems, broken timing belt (was weak spot of that model) and brake rotors.
  • Options
    mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    My worst car:

'84 Honda Civic hatchback 4/manual. Rust was a very bad issue in those cars. I took it to get re painted and fix all the rust holes and bubbles coming out from all the welding joints, roof, doors, rear panels and rear gate. Plus the brakes were BAD and dangerous... would lock up at any situation. I always used original Honda parts on that car....didnt do any difference.

My best car ever:

'98 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4/auto. That car is so awesomly reliable! Only oil, filters, 2 batteries and 1 A/C fix. Never left me stranded. Never failed.

Ps: Somewhere in those years i had a Hyundai Excel, interior was falling apart... but the engine/transmission was reliable.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think you are missing the point of the thread. It is your worst car EVER. Mine was a toss-up between a 1973 Subaru and a 1978 Honda Accord. Both bought new, both junk by any standards. That does not mean a new Honda or Subaru are junk.

What was your worst car EVER? No reason to berate those that have had lemons that you feel are good cars.
  • Options
    I think it's actually kinda refreshing that some people here are mentioning Hondas as their worst car ever! Not that I'm rooting for Honda to fail or reveling in other people's problems, but it does at least show that nobody builds a perfect car.

I think I mentioned it awhile back, but I'd say that my worst car ever was a tossup between an '82 Cutlass Supreme and an '88 LeBaron turbo coupe. Of course, both cars were bought used. I bought the Cutlass in 1993, with 61,000 miles on it, for $800. It was the only car I've ever owned that needed both a new tranny AND a new engine! The tranny was only around $675 though. And when the engine went about a year later, I got rid of it. It was still driveable, but drank a quart of oil every 200 miles or so and was not long for this world.

My uncle had bought the LeBaron in 1990, and sold it to me in 1995, with about 75,000 miles on it, after I got married. It got stolen a couple times. It would be fun to pretend that the joyriders were as gentle on the car as I would be, but I'm not going to believe for a second that they were. That might be one reason that the thing was pretty much dead by around 115,000 miles.

With the exception of my 2000 Intrepid though, every car I've owned has been used. In some cases VERY used and well past the normal expiration date. So I really don't hold a grudge against any particular manufacturer. Often it's just old age and high mileage. For example, I recently had to put a new master cylinder and some other brake work into my '76 LeMans. But I'm not pissed at GM because of it. :P
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I can tell that. My worst ever was a 1975 Chevrolet Vega, bought new in late 74 and used while in college. It started rusting in the showroom, I think. It leaked oil. There was really nothing that could break on it, the windows had handles, it had no air conditioner, but I was in Florida at the time, and the heat always ran, regardless of your settings. In the Florida summers, that's a problem. It's a design issue, not a malfunction I was told. I put up with it for a year, and traded it on a 75 Pinto that gave me no trouble for years after that. In fact, the Pinto was so far superior to the Vega in quality and reliability, it was scary. And we all know, the Pinto was not a bastian of superiority in the economy market. But as is usually the case, still today, GM was behind Ford in some technology even then. One thing, the Pinto had rack & pinion steering, making it so easy to steer, and precise. The Vega, although a new design from the ground up, they put in old reciprocating ball steering, which was darn near impossible to turn or steer. The catalytic converter on the Vega stunk like sulphur all the time, was very embarrasing at a light. Impossible for dates, know what I mean. And the Vega ran terrible, the choke stuck, it hesitated on acceleration, it was just awful.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,345
    My worst car is a toss up between two cars. First was a 74 Ford Maverick that I bought in 1980, I traded in a 70 Dodge Cornet that was running great but was a rust bucket. So I bought this Maverick that had an almost new look in the Body and interior. Turns out I traded a ratty body and good engine/transmission for a good body and a ratty engine/transmission.

Not long after I got this car it started acting up, in cold weather it took forever to get started then I had to sit there and let it warm up before driving away. Could never get the timing right and the points and plugs never seemed to be set right no matter what we did. Finally the darn thing just died on me and all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't get it started again.

The other was a 75 Camaro that had a 4 speed manual. The second gear had the tendency to disengage itself so you had to keep your hand on the shifter to make sure it didn't pop out of second. To add insult to injury third gear was completely shot. You had to sit in second rev it up and then shift to fourth. The car had other issues too and I knew all about them before I took it, but since it was practically given to me I was ok with it (hey it ran).

I got rid of that one one day as i was driving down Marine Hill on Kodiak Island when the car started riding funny and I looked out the window and saw my left rear tire passing me. :surprise: Seems like all the lugs bolts broke off. :sick:

As an honorable mention several years ago we bought a 94 Dodge Neon for the kids. I was not for that car but the kids said that they would pay for it and the dealer gave us a warranty for free so I said what they heck. The car was a mechanical disaster, one time even noticed oil in the engine coolant. Needless to say within 6 months both the engine and the transmission failed on that car. Fortunately we had that warranty and they were replaced and the car ran ok (not great but ok) for a few more years until the son totaled it.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    atlvibeatlvibe Member Posts: 109
    My father gave me a monza coupe as my first car. It was a sibling of the vega. It wasn't quite as bad as the vega but the monza was also plagued with problems. Also years later I purchased a Suzuki Samari. A close runner up. Underpowered and you could not drive it on the interstate without fearing for your life. The passing transfer trucks would shift the vehicle in the lane.
  • Options
    jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    I guess that I should be happy that I drove mostly '60s models until I moved out on my own when I started driving '80s models ...

As for the Neons, I have returned THREE of them (under 2k miles) to rental car agencies for stuff that should have been caught at the end of the assembly line.
  • Options
    montztermontzter Member Posts: 72
    On Delivery:
    Tire out of balance
    Bumper scratched
    Paint by door window cracked
    Nearly 600 miles on odometer
    Only two of four headphones
    DVD remote missing
    Third row floor mat mismatched
    During Ownership:
    Brakes pulsate
    Radio replaced
    Replacement radio spontaneously changes stations
    DVD player fixed
    Lug nut covers replaced
    Seat belt replaced
    Wiring harness fixed
    Clunk in suspension (never fixed)
    Driver door handle replaced
    Sliding door seals replaced
    Keyless remote replaced
    Power window switch "fixed" but still erratic
    Plastic trim on passenger middle seat broke
    Bad paint job ("orange peel"/dirt in paint)
    Driver side power mirror "jumpy" on adjustment
    Musty smell from HVAC system
    Rear brakes grind (repair at my expense lasted several weeks)
    On Star system trouble recognizing "2"
    Fit and finish inside and out terrible
    Rough ride over bumps
    Very many rattles over bumps
    Never came close to mileage claims
    Intermittently will not start on crank
    Intermittently idles rough
    Horn occasionally sounds on its own
    Horn difficult to operate - heavy pressure needed
    Driver power seat occasionally acts like gears slipping
    Driver power seat occasionally lacks full range
    Rear power window motors squeal
    Power sliding door noise after closing
    Fluttering sounds from cabin air vent
    Power sliding door occasionally "freezes up"
    Light can be seen thru bottom of inside of power door
    Rubber trim around sliding doors (interior) won't stay on
    Rattle in driver side sliding door on normal road
    Driver side door control cluster panel came loose
    Driver door rubber stopper/shim fell off
    DVD screen periodically lights up when unit is off
    Chrome plating in DRL's worn off on bottom
    Rust visible on suspension parts underneath van
    HVAC fan intermittently will not work on low setting

That vehicle was a complete disaster. We traded it before the warranty expired because I was reading horror stories about bad manifold gaskets that would leak coolant and destroy the engine. They also had problems with peeling paint and a host of other items that I did not want to deal with.
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    No wonder the guy who drove it for the first 599 miles got rid of it.
  • Options
    I agree - and I should have caught that ahead of time, but the dealer had to travel across state to get the van, and then turned around and went back when they forgot something. All in that van.

And I learned a valuable lesson: never buy a car from a dealer that you are friends with and have business dealings with. It puts you in a bad position with issues like that, and also pressing issues with the manufacturer when the dealer can't get stuff fixed. Not to mention the other dealers that get mad because you didn't buy from them or get your service with them. I chalked it up as a life lesson learned!
  • Options
    "The other was a 75 Camaro that had a 4 speed manual. The second gear had the tendency to disengage itself so you had to keep your hand on the shifter to make sure it didn't pop out of second."

I had a 75 Camaro that did the same thing! I forgot all about it until I read this post. The Camaro was definitely a close runner up to the Montana. My older brother had purchased it new. I can remember it in the driveway after he got it and he had a tool kit and was going over the car tightening up bolts and nuts that were loose or barely even started. It rotted away in about 5 years and just fell apart mechanically after I got it.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,345
    I had a 75 Camaro that did the same thing! I forgot all about it until I read this post.

Sorry to bring back bad memories.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    That was a problem with a 1973 Subaru coupe I bought new. It would pop out of 2nd gear going up hill. Especially if there was a couple inches of snow on the ground. Overall I would say that was the worst new car I ever bought. Head gaskets blew in the first couple 1000 miles. The Anchorage Subaru dealer was 9 weeks behind on repairs. I had to do the work myself and they would not give me the parts. I had to pay for them. Never got any satisfaction from Subaru. Possibly the worst car dealer on the PLANET. The OEM Bridgestone tires were horrible from the start. We kept it a couple years and sold it.
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    With a Venture, the clone to the Montana that had the manifold gasket issue. Something like 10k miles on the van when it happened. They ended up replacing the whole motor I believe and he still has it. Has something like 40k miles on it though since it is my Aunt's runabout vehicle.

By comparison, heshowed up in the Springtime with a new F150 to replace an aging 86' model (With the indestructable 6 - cylinder I6???) with 265k miles on the clock. I should have bought the old one from him since he sold it to a co-worker instead (still running well).
  • Options
    rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Had the worst front end 'clunk' from day one. Finally the factory figured out it was a subframe bushing that could never be fixed. So what to do at that point if your Volvo?

Declare that it's a characteristic of the car and that the sound is 'within parameters' for the vehicle.

It sounded like a NY taxi with a bad ball-joint every time I made a right turn. What a great 'safety' feature.

Not just the worst car but the worst manufacturer representatives I ever had the displeasure to work with.

JR
  • Options
    daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    1961 Triumph Herald convertible.

Purchased used in'65 with ~25K miles for $500 - averaged ~100/month in repairs until it dawned on me that I could buy a new car at that rate - which I did.
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    1993 Sable Wagon

At 34,000 miles and 38 months old the 3.8 engine started leaking antifreeze at the head gasket. This was a known problem with this engine. The dealer told me I needed to talk to Ford. I was told by a customer service person that I did not understand that 36k miles and 36 months was the warranty. My wife liked the car so we started throwing money at it. It was one problem after another until I talked her out of that money pit. The A/C hoses were strapped together and friction finally won out and the coolant leaked while we were on vacation in Canada. I went to a Ford dealer and he told me the parts were on back order. Once back in the states, I tried again. Took 3 months for the parts. Since that car we have purchased 5 new vehicles and none were Ford products.
  • Options
    kapbotkapbot Member Posts: 113
    My first car was a hand-me-down '71 or '72 Audi Super 90. It was actually a pretty car, I thought, but that doesn't help much. My father bought it used in '79 or so originally to use to teach my mom to drive. That never panned out, so it became my sisters car.
    One day, it decided to drop a valve, resulting in a destroyed piston. Any normal person would've junked it, or replaced the engine. Dad, in his infinite wisdom obtained replacement parts from a junkyard. We removed the head & oil pan, (nothing in the way underneath) and put in the junkyard piston & rod. I don't remember if the head was replaced or if he just put in a new valve. Anyway, probably alot of you know the result. The car ultimately ran, but who knew an internal combustion engine could burn so much oil! I'm talking James Bond here!
    Later, the thing became mine. At some point in time, someone pointed out that using heavier oil should reduce the oil burning some. I've always been the "if a little bit is enough, then too much is just right" kind of person. O.K., 140 weight gear oil it is then...
    It still ran. It still burned just as much oil. It ran long enough for one of the front control arms to rust out. I stripped out a spark plug, and used one of those taps that allow you to insert a sleeve, so you can put a plug back in. Turns out, you should remove the cylinder head first. The engine self destructed one night on the highway, but it did make it home.
    Anyhoo, cant blame the car for all it's problems, but it was the worst car ever.
  • Options
    YEah, I have a friend with a Montana - his engine failed also..... twice. I'm surprised - the Safari/Astro twins are bullet proof. A lousy design, but tough as nails.... Guess the car based vans are a different story. And, what do you drive today?
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Was most likely my 64 Catalina (new to me in 68'. Just to give an idea of the history, I didn't make it home with it the first night, stalled at stop sign and drained battery trying to re-fire. It was suffering from the 'if it ain't running right, open the jets on carberater til the set screws almost fall out' syndrome. That is most likely why I used a full tank of gas the first couple days I had it (drove about 100 miles and I think tank was about 25 gals). It suffered as much do to my lack on knowledge and funds ($2.00 an hour wage didn't go to far) but still had issues such as tranny filter clogged (was an auto) and in cold weather wouldn't shift out of first for a mile or so until it warmed up (never got that fixed) and also in cold weather would not start without a very healthy dose of ether. Had the ignition switch fail one late dark night 25 miles from home in a way that it would only run if I held tension on key halfway between on and start position (of course that meant a few times I kicked starter in while running). A lot of tins cans and muffler bandages spent their life trying to quiet and keep exhaust going out back of vehicle also.
  • Options
    Got mad as heck one night and drove right to a Honda dealer and traded it for a new Odyssey. We traded the Odyssey this year for a Pilot. Honda says "Thanks GM!"
  • Options
    Ya hear that a lot..... But, I was amazed Saturday, when I had a very young couple with kids, choose an 06 Uplander over an 03 Odyssey. The money was close to the same. I drove them both, and the Uplander was just awful. Typical Chevy to me, it was harsh, noisy, had tons of torque steer, and the transmission gave me back problems it shifted so rough. The Honda of course, is sewing machine smooth. I was positive they'd take the Honda - but they didn't. And I rarely see that.
  • Options
    Hey are you by chance a banker in Nevada?

I'm a banker in Ohio.....
  • Options
    E-mail me.
  • Options
    Ray80, did you ever have "hot start" problems with that '64 Catalina? Like when you turn it off and then start it back up within a fairly short period of time it'll stumble, almost as if the starter or battery is about to give its last breath, but then after a moment it'll turn over and start up?

I've had three Pontiacs, a '69 Bonneville, '67 Catalina, and '76 LeMans (still have the last two) and they've all had the problem to various degrees. Seems like they were always kinda hard to get started in the mornings too, moreso than the old Chevies and Mopars I've owned. I guess it's just a trademark of the Pontiac engine. :sick:
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Hhmm I don't remember specific hot start problems, but I do remember the '389' took a lot of power to turn over and was quite sensitive to weak battery or bad cable connection. This may have been the vehicle where the starter was subject to 'flat-spotting' and was hit and miss as to whether it would turn over on first try ( I do remember the 2 bus trip for used starter at junk yard when mine failed at bad place and time).
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,826
    Andre, I have that problem with my '69 Econoline - do you know what tends to cause it?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Its OLD! :)
This discussion has been closed.