Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

My worst car ever!

Comments

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,353
    Mine would have to be my current daily drive a Hyundai Elantra Wagon. Closing in on 140K miles and other than a exhaust manifold going at 120K miles (replaced under warranty) I have had nothing gone wrong with it. Just routine maintence, the car started each and every time on the first time.

Sure its showing its age, rides a bit rough, road noise is a little louder that when I bought it but its been the most reliable car I ever had. And I haven't been the kindest to it.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    flash11flash11 Member Posts: 98
    Wow they are still in business?? Yes, I actually drove a Lada 4 cyl. stick when I was 17 for 3 years. Hey the heater worked well in the winter. That picture you posted is the nicest Lada I ever saw. Wow, shiny and new. My Lada was bright orange-red, I think you could see it coming at night without lights on. Wanna hear something funny?? True story, my best friend who came within 1 number on a lottery ticket to winning 5 million dollars in 1990 said the first thing he would have done is buy my Lada from me for a buck, and take much pleasure in taking it to the abandoned parking lot across the street, and blow it up with a bazooka round. He hated it even though he did not own it. Amazing that bad cars inspire such hate. He then actually wanted to buy me a nice decent car like a new Corvette or something. Sorry long story short...hope you liked it.
    Check the Lada Cosack out, cheapest 4x4 on the market at $5000 bought new, it looks unique like a Russian jeep. Come on, you really want it...I know you do, rush out and buy one today.:)
  • Options
    Wow they are still in business??

Yep they are still in business, if you can read Russian click here.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,265
    I kinda like the Cossack, in a weird way.

I've honestly loved all the cars I've owned...I don't have a best or worst.
  • Options
    meateatermeateater Member Posts: 123
    A daily drive in a Hyundai Elantra? Ouch.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    You could do far worse. After owning Hondas and Toyotas over the last two decades, and comparing a 2005 Civic, 2005 Corolla, and 2005 Elantra side-by-side, and many test drives, I bought the Elantra. I'm still happy I did, and am not looking back. Absolutely no problems whatsoever for the first year of ownership - can't say that about the Hondas and Toyotas I've owned before!
  • Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Absolutely no problems whatsoever for the first year of ownership - can't say that about the Hondas and Toyotas I've owned before!

I can, as well as millions of other owners. That's why they buy them.
  • Options
    phinneas519phinneas519 Member Posts: 113
    Okay, I'm hooked. Is there any place someone can get a Cossack besides Russia or as a British import?
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,475
    Hey Andres3. Why don't you start the 'Best Care Ever' topic. I had thought of it, but you beat me to it. It's easy; just follow the instructions. Go for it.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    I can, as well as millions of other owners.

Yes but is it a case of perception creating its own reality. Case in point, my sister is a big Toyota fan and only had one non Toyota in her life. She is convinced she has the best built most reliable cars on the face of the planet. Yet her cars go back for work more often than anything I ever had. Her current Toyota has been in the shop for warranty work 3 times so far. I have had 7 new cars in my life and out of all of those I have had warranty work done twice.

My current daily drive had its first non routine maintence at around 120K miles. My sister told me thats what I get for not buying a reliable car like hers. But her car has less than 70K miles on it and has had work done on it three times.

So basically her perception doesn't match reality.

• Options
    A daily drive in a Hyundai Elantra? Ouch.

Yes why? It starts right away even on the coldest mornings, It runs fine, gets decent gas mileage, nothing going bad on it, so far no money out of my pocket other than routine maintence to keep it running. As long as it stays that way I am keeping it.

In short its the best kind of car to have, It runs and its paid for. :P

• Options
    emmanuelchokeemmanuelchoke Member Posts: 97
    1999 Alero, the wife's car. Too many problems to list. After making the last payment on this POS, it rewarded her with a $1,300 bill for new head gaskets and now the driver side window is sticking in the down position.
    I test drove it but didn't like it, unfortunetly she was with me and fell in love with it.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,733
    for all the ragging they tend to get and bad perceptions, I honestly can't say I've ever known anyone that had one that was a piece of junk. Well, years ago I did have a friend with a 1987 Excel that was a piece of junk. But it also had about 165,000 miles on it and was still chugging along, although it should've been shot years ago.

My roommate's sister had an Elantra...1999 I think. It was used and she didn't have any problems with it that I know of, but she didn't keep it very long because it got wrecked. Her Mom bought a used '02 Sonata around the same time, and AFAIK she's never had any problems with it.
  • Options
    I agree with that. I've known a few Hyundai owners...some who would beat the hell out of their cars...and they had no more issues than anyone else.

Thinking of worst cars...I guess my worst would be my first, the 66 Galaxie. Technically not "mine" as I didn't legally own it...it was always having some kind of carb problems, was very cold blooded, got horrible mileage...but it was loud and would burn the tires easily, so I dealt with it.
  • Options
    ohuggyohuggy Member Posts: 10
    This was a few years ago... '87 BMW 535iM. 2 weeks after I got it the auto transmission said good bye, really expensive to replace, 2 weeks later I fell asleep and side swiped a guard rail at about 80mph, written off.
  • Options
    Technically not "mine" as I didn't legally own it.

Tell me what did the police think of that? :P

• Options
    Small town...they were busy eating donuts and kissing the right butts :sick:
  • Options
    Want a Lada ?? Try ebay,or even better when visiting our friends to the north, buy and import it from Canada(dealers in Montreal,Quebec and Windsor Ontario) lots of Lada dealers there. Want a high quality cheap Lada Cossack you too can buy a brand spanking new Russian Cossack 4x4 for about $5000. Just think, you can impress your friends with it, I can guarantee you they've never seen a car like a Lada, it will be a novelty.
  • Options
    Lada may have changed the name of the 4x4 model from Cossack to Niva, no matter it looks the same. Looks like they are big in Europe. FYI, I did a search and found www.ladausa.net. To purchase and get one shipped to you easily see Burgessmotors.com of Napannee Ontario, or call Lada Canada Inc. at Tel# (416)-661-2727. All you need is your visa card and you can have one delivered to you no problem. Get one in orangy-red color or lime green...:)
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Lada doesn't sell new cars in Canada anymore, but you should be able to find a used one. The last year they sold them in Canada was 1993 or 1994 I think.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    A 1978 Audi 5000. I don't know what possessed me to buy this - basically disbelief at the horror stories, but they are all true. Every one of them. Managed to unload it on a couple, thank God.

Then I proceeded to buy my second worse car. Believe it or not, an 86 Honda Accord bought new. Except for minor issues, the motor was great, but other issues ... such as a flimsy body structure causing windshields to snap, plastic pieces I never touched that would crack suddenly, an appetite to burn out headlamps every 12,000 miles, lousy seats for the long haul, and a virtually unreachable oil filter ... drove me crazy. Plus I would not write home about my dealership experience.

My best car is actually my current 2002 Ford F150 (5.4 liter). Yeah, it drinks a bit of gas (I average 19.5 mpg mostly highway) but it starts, goes, doesn't break, never complains, has only required routine maintenance and the cruise control recall, is comfortable as hell, the dealers are friendly to me.
  • Options
    hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    Lada may have changed the name of the 4x4 model from Cossack to Niva, no matter it looks the same. Looks like they are big in Europe.

Big in Europe? Must be a different Europe than the one I visit a few times a year. In my travels through most of the European countries (including Eastern Europe) I have yet to see a single Lada Niva (or whatever other name they may be selling it under).

Or did you mean, "big in the European portion of Russia"?
  • Options
    hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    I should have added that I did see one recently in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It was rusting miserably in a side alley with a couple of bricks blocking its tires. A thin layer of dusty sand covered the vehicle.

I am sure it could have been purchased very reasonably. ;)
  • Options
    gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116
    Just because it came first doesn't mean the Renault wins this contest. No, let's consider its losing its water pump on my way home after getting discharged from the Navy, less than a week after I bought it in Philly. Then there was the time I leaned back to reach into my pocket to fish out some change for a toll - and the seat frame snapped. But the final blow came on a lonely Midwest highway in November, when the cooling system failed once and for all and the engine froze, leaving me to do the same until a tow truck came and mercifully relieved me of this burden once and for all. But not until my friends had nicknamed it "Le Petit Piece de la Merd." :sick:

Fast forward from 11-75 to 11-81, and from Illinois to L.A. I thought I was clever, because I didn't buy the Corolla some Hollywood scammer jump-started as I rolled up to his house and saw him running away, jumper cables trailing behind him. Instead, I drove over to Silverlake and sprung for a battleship gray Pinto wagon that smoked and wouldn't downshift when I floored it. Reason? it had a broken cylinder shaft, as the young mechanic who took it off my hands for less than half of what I paid for it kindly informed me after he repaired it to where, in his words, "it ran like a sewing machine." Where was my thimble when I needed it? :confuse:

Now, 25+ years later, after living much of that time in SFrancisco without owning a car - the one remaining good thing about that city-gone-crazy - I'm the happy owner of a 2003 Forester, which has treated me well since I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. :shades:
  • Options
    I knew there'd be trouble here when I saw "Newport" and "Dart" in the same paragraph of a story dealing with something other than British geography. DO NOT combine those search terms in the same sentence! Whether you served yours courtesy of your ex or your cars, you have my sympathy, brother! ;)
  • Options
    This post made me look for the "Recommend This Post" button. :surprise:

Sorry to be posting serially here, folks, but I just found this thread and it's putting some humor back in my life after the Bears lost today! :cry:
  • Options
    Dude! My own Renault died between Chambana and Rantoul, on the way home for what was supposed to be a fun weekend in Chicago. Did you jinx me or what? :mad:

Illinois Triangle: Imports die, promising football teams wither, good food from the farms turns lousy when it gets in local cooks' hands. Aliens at work? "Chariots of The Gods?" Draw your own conclusions! :confuse:
  • Options
    Guys, 1981 Oldsmobile Diesel going cross-country with 2 other Diesels =/= "race." :mad:

Where can I get a back issue? :shades:
  • Options
    Thanks for sparking some nice beach memories of my own. My fraternity bros rigged up an 8-track in the rear seat well of my '68 Beetle with a line that ran directly to the battery's poles. The 8-track sat atop two lame-o speakers we'd cannibalized from one of those weak "all purpose" stereos that combined a receiver with a turntable and deck, none of which worked. But the speakers sure did and we cranked out some serious tunes the Summer I was a lifeguard on Lake Michigan. The following Winter, that VW was the only one in the lot that would start in subzero weather and, used to jerry-rigging the battery for any number of things by now, we made some decent bucks jump-starting Imperials, Lincolns and other decaying hand-me-downs that were perfectly matched to the philandering offspring who received them. Later, while I was off in the Navy during the height of the '74 "fuel crisis," my Dad sold that Bug for twice what I'd paid for it. Good little car, that one, and LOTS of good memories to go with it. :D
  • Options
    The Delta 88 on the other hand was supposed to be a nice car. It had these straps on the doors. Once I closed the door using it and the whole door panel came off in my hand. The service manager told my I wasn't supposed to use it to close the car door. What the hell was it for then?

Silly you! Those are "passenger assist straps" and they're there to help you break your tailbone or sprain your wrist when they snap! :D

It is the only car I've owned that had gone through 3 computers and 4 transmissions in 4 years.

Gee, that's something to rival Windows! Maybe Bill Gates will give you a free upgrade to Service Pack 2! ;)
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,425
    re your F150; none of that metters, it's not a honda. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Sorry to be posting serially here, folks, but I just found this thread and it's putting some humor back in my life after the Bears lost today!

Look at it this way, they lost to Miami. Thats the only team that beat them when they last went to the Super Bowl.

• Options
    knew there'd be trouble here when I saw "Newport" and "Dart" in the same paragraph of a story dealing with something other than British geography.

Wow, I had to go back and re-read what I wrote originally to jog my memory. In a twisted sort of way I miss my Newport. That's probably the reason why, a few years after I got rid of it, I bought a 1979 New Yorker I found on eBay. Same car, just more luxurious and with a bigger engine.

Thinking back on it, my Newport did have its troubles though. But to be fair I bought it from the junkyard for $250, and found out that it had 230,000 miles on it! Originally I thought it only had 130K on it, but when the junkyard gave me the title, I saw that the previous owner bought it around 1985 with 105K on it, and this was late 1996.

It made it home just fine under its own power, but cost about $900 to get it through inspection. It needed new front brake pads and rotors, rear shoes, subframe bushings (the labor there was a killer) and I forget what else. Then, about a month after I got it on the road, the tranny died. Oddly, about a half mile from a local transmission shop.

The guys at the shop asked me if I really wanted to put a transmission in it and I said yeah. They also asked me how much I paid for it. I told 'em $250. The owner told me that if I had stopped by their place about 5 months earlier, I could've had the car for free! Turns out the previous owner had it in there, but didn't want to put the money into a rebuilt tranny, so he just left it with them. While it was there, they gave the nice 15x7 road wheels to someone who wanted to put them on a horse trailer, and then put some junk Ford wheels on it (same bolt pattern, but the hole in the center is smaller on a Ford wheel, so they just cut the opening bigger to make 'em fit on flush), and had the junkyard take it away. I thought that was a strange coincidence.

Lessee, what else was wrong with that car? The a/c didn't work. The stereo had speakers that were just about shot, so I put in a set that I had lying around. Even though it was just the cheap AM/FM stock 1979 stereo, it sounded pretty good with those speakers. While I had the car, the parking brake cable broke, the starter went out (I think that's standard equipment on all smallblock Mopar V-8's), fuel pump went out (again, a standard feature), the steering column, of all things broke (my mechanic found another from the junkyard that didn't have cruise control, but its interval wipers worked wheras mine didn't). The power steering pump went out. One of the teeth in the lift mechanism for the passenger side window broke off, so you couldn't roll the window all the way up unless you grabbed it and pulled it all the way. Then you couldn't put it down unless you gave it a push first. Thankfully it had frameless door windows, so you could do that easily with the door open. The last straw on that car was when, around the 250,000 mile mark, the water pump went out. I'd had enough.

Oh, one other feature that car had, which I thought was pretty cool, was full gauges AND idiot lights. However, the overheat light for the coolant temperature had a mind of its own and seemed to come on independently from the gauge. It would come on even at times it was physically impossible for the car to overheat...like the moment I would start it up on a cold winter morning. Oh, and the little tab that held the glovebox closed would rotate sometimes, causing the glovebox and all of its contents to dump on the passenger side floor! This car also had pull straps on all 4 doors, but not the little recesses in the armrest to grab. The front two were pulled loose, and you could tell where in the past someone had tried to put screws in at other spots, but it just wouldn't hold.

Now, after all that ranting, someone remind me again why I missed this thing enough that I went out and bought another? :P Actually, to the car's credit, it got good highway mileage...about 22, with its 318. It was a great highway cruiser too. 0-60 wasn't so hot, but it had plenty of power at higher speeds. Which reminds me of another problem it had. 73 mph on the speedometer was really 88, at least according to the friendly cop who pulled me over. And that damn thing was so smooth and quiet at those speeds that it just felt slow! It was also a comfortable car, and was a good handler for its size. However, it had something called an "Open Road" handling package, which no doubt helped. At least, it handled better than my NYer does.

In retrospect I probably should have just replaced the water pump and kept driving it. But for about 3 months, I had this Newport and an '86 Monte Carlo concurrently, and while the Monte was up there in miles too, it was more nimble, more economical around town (about the same on the highway though), faster, had a better stereo, and functioning a/c. Alas, it was taken away from me prematurely when I got t-boned while delivering pizzas. 192,000 miles on it. Anyway, that had given me a taste for nicer cars, so when the Newport's water pump went out about a month after my Monte got wrecked, I went and bought an '89 Gran Fury ex-police car. I figured it was 10 years newer and had less than 1/3 the miles (73K versus 250K), so it should be more reliable and cheaper in the long run. NOT! But, this post is getting longer than Hiawatha, so that story is for another time. :)
  • Options
    I kinda hate to say this, but it would probably be my 2000 Intrepid. I guess the only reason I say "hate" is because I've always liked older cars better than newer ones, and the Intrepid ended up showing me up on that one!

It has about 124,000 miles on it now, and I bought it new. I just realized, it'll be 7 years tomorrow (11/6). The only real issues I had with it were a thermostat housing leaking ($210), power lock actuator going bad (that was fixed under warranty), and an oil pressure light that would give me a false reading (fixed for free with TSB). Oh, the door seals shrunk up, but I figured out how to fix them (after buying one), and the power assist for the passenger side mirror failed, but I never fixed it. Other than that, it's just been maintenance stuff like brakes, tires, belts, oil changes, etc.

I guess eventually, if the engine or tranny fails, then maybe I'll feel like the older cars are vindicated, because newer cars are just so cost-prohibitive when it comes to things like that. But I figure hey, it's been paid off for 2 years now, and with its mileage, if something major did go, I wouldn't be pissed at Chrysler for it.
  • Options
    I feel the same way with my Elantra. Its 6 years old with close to 140K on it, If it all fell apart tomorrow I wouldn't be happy but I surely wouldn't be mad at Hyundai for it

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    My girlfriend had a 1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass sedan that I hated just as much as your friend hated your Lada. That car was not an Oldsmobile as I remembered them, but a Malibu masquerading as an ersatz Rocket dragging Ransom's namesake through the mud. It wasn't unreliable or anything, just the very personification of mediocrity. I can see why some of you guys hate GM after experiencing that car. Now cars like my Dad's 1955 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Starfire convertible and the 1960s 442 - they were real Oldsmobiles!
  • Options
    My brother had a 2000 Hyundai Sonata. I thought he was nuts for buying it in the first place, (my brother's my polar opposite when it comes to cars) but it turned out to be a pretty decent ride. It even survived a massive collision with a deer. I thought for sure his insurance company would've totalled it. Anyway, he liked the car so much, he went back and got a new 2005 Sonata. He would've bought a 2006, but he hates the way it looks.
  • Options
    Wow, my girlfriend's first car was a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 passed down to her from her father. It was sort of a teal blue with a black cloth and vinyl interior. Girlfriend lived in an upscale suburb of Philadelphia and went to a high school where these little princesses would get BMWs for their Sweet 16. Heck, I'd have ignored those brats and thought my girlfriend was the cool one with the '66 Galaxie!
  • Options
    What's the Russian car you see in the old Bond movies. It kind of looks like a cross between an old Mopar and Ford midsize. Is it a Volga? To heck with the Lada. Get me a ZIL or one of the Russian Packards!
  • Options
    What's the Russian car you see in the old Bond movies.

I think they were Volgas.

• Options
    agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    I had a 2005 Odyssey and had nothing but issues for almost a year tried also the lemon law but gave up and got rid of it ASAP (traded it in for a trouble free 2006 Sienna --ohhh, what a relief--)... what a piece of junk, staying away from HONDAs for ever and ever...
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,758
    You can go ahead and do it. I'm too lazy, and I don't like reading directions, and I don't know how to start a topic.

I don't have time. I give you license to "steal" my idea.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    w9cw, do you know if Dexcool has been reformulated, so that it doesn't continue to cause problems? In other words, is the coolant going into today's GM cars okay, and, if so, when did the change occur? While it's certainly believable that the original Dexcool's formulation was faulty, and that GM didn't address the problem promptly, or even for some time, I would imagine that the warranty repair costs, and the brand reputation issues associated with those manifold gasket failures, would have prompted GM to require their supplier(s)to fix the problem.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,425
    the original coolant in my '91 mustang. it smells bad.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I had a 1989 Ford Escort. It was in the shop every other week. I traded in with only 40,000 miles and no air conditioning. Several years later Ford recalled the Escort for many of the problems I had.
  • Options
    k2jk2j Member Posts: 2
    2003 Chevy Tahoe. In the shop 12 times for a total of 38 days. Thats in the first 30,000 miles. Left me stranded twice. A real piece of GM junk. Also my last GM vehicle EVER.
  • Options
    Looks like I'm not the only one that bans a brand forever for selling crap.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    This discussion!
  • Options
    In the shop 12 times for a total of 38 days. Thats in the first 30,000 miles.

I always hate hearing these kinds of stories about a fairly new vehicle (regardless of the brand) but I wonder if the problem might be more dealership/shop than actual vehicle? Dealerships can be notorious for just doing the bare minimum to get a job rushed in and out, especially if it's warranty work.

When I keep having the same problem over and over again, that makes me really leery of a vehicle. But if the dealership/repair shop fixes it right in the first place, I'd probably have a better feeling about the vehicle.

For instance, my Mom and stepdad have a 1999 Altima that chewed up its transmission at 35,000 miles. However, the dealer replaced it, under warranty, with no fuss, and now the car has about 220,000 miles on it, and never again any tranny problems.

But then one of my friends had a 1998 Tracker, with a 60,000 mile powertrain warranty, and just like clockwork, that thing would need some major transmission work about every 20,000 miles. I guess it's lucky for him that the third time the thing failed it was just before 60K, and not after! Anyway, the next time around, it died around 86K. I took it to a local tranny shop I've dealt with in the past, and they got it running for 60 bucks, but couldn't guarantee how long it would last. At 92K, it crapped out again. We had a used tranny out of a wrecked 95 Sidekick with 55K miles put in. And that tranny never gave a bit of trouble, right up until 135,000 miles when he traded that thing.

So in this case, the Nissan experience was much better than the GM. Oh, and guess what my buddy traded his Tracker in on? A NISSAN! :P

In a similar vein, my uncle has a '97 Silverado that had to have its tranny rebuilt around 70-80,000 miles, and again about a year ago, at around 109,000. The first rebuild was under warranty, at the dealership. The second rebuild was by the local tranny shop...I have a feeling it'll last a bit longer. :)
  • Options
    Yeah, but wasn't the Tracker really an Isuzu underneath? I remember Honda had the Passport which was also really an Isuzu and a lot less reliable vehicle than the current Pilot.

I can often trust a competent local mechanic to fix a problem right the first time rather than the dealer. Some goober in the service bay of the Megadealer isn't going to put them out of business, but the independent mechanic's reputation is on the line if he performs shoddy work. I recall a guy with a 3-Series BMW who was having a recurring problem with his car and kept taking it to the dealer only to have the problem show up again. He took the car to an independent mechanic who specialized in German cars and the problem never reoccurred. The repair cost about 1/3 what the dealer was asking.
This discussion has been closed.