Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    eman6628eman6628 Member Posts: 41
    Maybe your "activating fee" is what I encountered. I just got my Fit sports last week and I did notice a "security fee" of about $300 in the final invoice, but that was optional, the salesman explained to me it is a security program that records all the serial # of all the part of the car and extra insurance that pay the owner $5000 on top of the regular insurance if the car gets stolen. I declined!
  • Options
    fitchgrrlfitchgrrl Member Posts: 21
    Oh yeah. That was a rip off and a half. i would be screaming at them and anyone else who will listen if i were you.
  • Options
    jethadenjethaden Member Posts: 36
    In case anyone might be thinking about seat covers, I just got mine from Coverking in red and black neoprene. They are fitted for the car and include the required openings for air bag. They took a bit less than a month since I ordered it from one of their online distributors. Anyway, I threw out some pictures at my carspace page.

They fit quite well. They are warmer than the cloth seats, but not too much so. Now I do not need to worry so much about getting the seats wet and dirty. The head rest covers are not all that perfect with the velcro on the bottom, but are quite OK. Will probably tack stitch the bottom edge together after they stretch out. A side good thing is that I can stick a small piece of foam under my right leg to raise it up (so it feels better) without it looking tacky. They were not cheap, but were not that expensive (their distributors are much cheaper than ordering direct, but they just do a drop shipment from the maker).

I have no relationship with this maker, but just thought the information would be useful to those thinking about seat covers which would not block the airbags.
  • Options
    bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Hungarian,

Did you ever switch the turn signal and backup light plugs? If so, was it difficult? Thanks....

Bubba
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    I actually did try back in April when I got my car, since theoretically it could work perfectly. Unfortunately, while the plugs are the same size, the little plastic hooks that keep them secure are different shapes, so you can't simply take the turn signal out and have it fit in the reverse light area.

I am quite sure that if you really want to change them it wouldn't be too much work. The only thing was that I tried this 3 days after I got it, and I didn't want to damage anything in my brand new car when I didn't really know what I was doing.... :blush:

I will take a look again and see what can be done...keep you posted. :)
  • Options
    Hungarian,

Thanks for the answer. I'll wait for your reply.

Koszonom szives faradozasat,

Bubba
  • Options
    sfinstersfinster Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone else noticed that zetaproducts.net is now offering a dead pedal for the Fit? Has anyone tried it? Curious...
  • Options
    scratchmarcscratchmarc Member Posts: 19
    I took mine off since I noticed the design does not allow it to be really securely fastened. I'd only had my Sport for a couple days when I removed it and there was already some slight scuffing of the paint behind where the frame made contact.

~marc
  • Options
    canadafitcanadafit Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone out there found a waterproof mat that covers the entire cargo area like the ultra mat that the the Jazz has in the UK? http://www.honda-access.com/uk/en/Images/49594.swf on the third page has a picture of the mat. This just seems so much more practical with pets, snow boards, etc in and out of the car in the winter. I wish these accessories were available in North America
  • Options
    amclamcl Member Posts: 3
    I was looking for an Ultramar as well (I have a large hairy and often muddy dog).
    I ended up getting seat covers made with fabric fronts & vinyl backs, for the back seat the vinyl covers the whole back of the seat and with the cargo mat the entire back area is protected.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Has anyone removed the front, rear and side skirts yet? Did you get the plugs for the holes?
  • Options
    halifmikehalifmike Member Posts: 2
    I think it wasn't the wind that started your car horn beeping. Happens to me all the time on my Honda Civic, and I don't even have an alarm system on it. Here's what it is for me:

I have the keys in my pocket, and when I bend over sometimes, the panic button the key fob gets pressed, and the horn starts going off. It stops when I press the lock or unlock button.

I know this is not caused by someone trying to break in or by the wind, because it often happens in my garage!

:)

Mike
  • Options
    fitluverfitluver Member Posts: 198
    I think it wasn't the wind that started your car horn beeping. Happens to me all the time on my Honda Civic, and I don't even have an alarm system on it. Here's what it is for me:

I have the keys in my pocket, and when I bend over sometimes, the panic button the key fob gets pressed, and the horn starts going off. It stops when I press the lock or unlock button.

I know this is not caused by someone trying to break in or by the wind, because it often happens in my garage!

Does the alarm system have a diff set of beeps from when it is set off one way vs another? (my old car did)
  • Options
    hondafulhondaful Member Posts: 32
    There is a right side Fit sun visor with mirror on eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/ylvmxd

The description notes that though it is the same color as the visors in the USDM Fit, it has a different texture. This one is made in Thailand. Is this the same as the JDM visor? Has anyone installed one of these? Was the texture different? How bad or good a match for the driver's sun visor is it?
  • Options
    fuji1fuji1 Member Posts: 1
    I may be doing just that with my dealer! :0 I hate to admit it, but I did not do a whole lot of research before buying this time. I had to have a reliable car when my old one (a 2000 Civic EX) started having electrical problems which caused it to not be able to start. Nobody could figure out how to fix it. After taking it in several times and having it die 300 miles from home and 60 miles from the nearesdt Honda dealer, I thought it was time to get a new car. Anyhow, I bought my Fit Sport on Saturday. I didn't realize it came with anything more than an immobolizer. When they offered the security system, I went ahead and purchased it. When I realized the car already had one, needless to say, I was less than thrilled. I called the guy who handles the delivery and asked him about it. He says he recommends it as Hondas are the most commonly stolen car in the country, and that thieves have found a way of stealing cars without breaking any windows or causing anyh significant damage to the car. Does that make any sense to anyone?
  • Options
    He says he recommends it as Hondas are the most commonly stolen car in the country, and that thieves have found a way of stealing cars without breaking any windows or causing anyh significant damage to the car. Does that make any sense to anyone?

Yes, it makes sense. I was reading that with the remote keyless entry, some hacker with a properly equipped laptop can activate the unlock feature. It would be equivalent to someone with garage door opener outside your house trying many combos till they get it but with a pc its that much faster a process.

That said, a proper theif would steal a high end car with remote entry that also had auto startup. Why would they steal a car valued at 16K and still have to jimmy the ignition when they could get a new lexus or other high end auto, that even starts for them with the right laptop combo?

Thats my philosophy on why I wont personally worry too much.

Not to say someone won't want to steal a fit, just saying it seems less likely with 35K autos out there parked right next to mine.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The immobolizer is actually your best defence against theft. If the dealer added another security system onto and on top of the factory system, then, IMO, he's trying to rip you off. And furthermore, if the additional system is a non-Honda system, it may potentially cause electrical problems later. :cry:

If I were you, I would go see the dealer's general manager, ask for an exact explanation and description of what was added. If it was what I described above, I would demand that they remove it, or at the very least, not charge you for it.
  • Options
    habberdabberhabberdabber Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone found alternates for a spare key for the FIT? Just got back from the dealer.........$47 for a blank and about the same for cutting and programming.......plus a 1/2 service time to program. All I want is a "valet" style key...to open the door lock and start the vehicle.
  • Options
    scratchmarcscratchmarc Member Posts: 19
    I got 3 keys with my Fit Sport. With previous vehicles I have owned I would usually keep one in my wallet in case I had a "blonde" moment (no offense). These keyless entry ones are too thick for that, though.

I tried to remove the black plastic to see if I could just use the metal part, but I still can't find a Phillips head screwdriver that's tiny enough. I don't want to destroy a perfectly good key in the process.

~marc
  • Options
    If you try to use just the metal part of the key, the car won't start. There is a microchip inside the black plastic. It sends a signal that essentially deactivates the immobilizer and lets you start the car.
  • Options
    suzecruisesuzecruise Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone added the Keyless Entry to their Base model after they already got the car?

I'd like to but want to know others experiences and costs.

Thanks,
    Suzecruise
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Remember the days before smart keys and keyless entry transmitter-style keys? Take your key to a locksmith, and you'd have a duplicate in a few minutes for less than $5. It reminds me of the "KISS" theory of mechanical and electrical design (Keep It Simple Stupid). Simple is often times better, and certainly cheaper!
  • Options
    Simpler is often better, but I actually prefer the security offered by the immobilizer over the inexpensiveness of the simple metal key.
  • Options
    But will it work? Unless the owner's manual is complete BS, you won't be able to start the car with a simple key.
  • Options
    cdnfitcdnfit Member Posts: 7
    I purchased the Keyless Entry for US$108 and the Security System for US$120 online from http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_fit_accessories/index.htm

(By the way, they have a really nice armrest - but I can't afford it. They didn't reply to an emailed question :( but they did send the order promptly :) )

Since I'm from Canada, this was quite a savings. I installed the Keyless Entry first to make sure it was working and then I immediately installed the Security System - just so I could remember where everything was - my memory is short. They both come with detailed instructions and drawings. Needless to say there is not much space under the dash and I spent a couple hours with my head by the brake pedal because I don't know much about cars. Some of the original connecters were quite tight to pry apart and it's a tight fit to put in some of the new ones.

Hint: When installing the Security System (step 7) you have to locate a 16-pin connector with a green tape on it. I had a hard time finding it until I looked up under the dash with my head near the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal!

Both items are working well, except the security system started arming automatically. I'll have to read the instructions to change it back to manual.

The Keyless Entry might prevent some key scratches from around the keyhole, but it doesn't open the door for me and I still have to walk to the car!!! In other words, I think it's kind of useless. But I bought them because I like gadgets. Most of my driving is at night, so I want to install some driving lights - as soon as I figure out where to put them. The car has 40,000 miles and seems as good as new. The oil indicator light has me changing oil about every 9,000 miles and I use Mobil 1 synthetic. (I got 440,000 miles out of a Honda Odyssey using Mobil 1 oil.)

Since you just purchased your car - make sure you can remove your spare tire. Mine was impossible to unscrew by hand.

And congratulations on your new purchase - the Fit is one of the best handling cars out there - regardless of price.
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Thanks for the info.

And you're right, the Arm rest looks like something worth saving for! :D
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I want to install some driving lights

What are "driving lights" If you drive at night, what about the regular headlights and highbeams?
  • Options
    res046xkres046xk Member Posts: 8
    The arm rest is worth saving for. I have one in my Honda and it is great.

Art
  • Options
    "But will it work?"

No, it won't work...that's what I had mentioned earlier. In the last post, I had just compared the merits of the Fit's key vs. a simple metal key. The Fit's key has a microchip inside the black plastic, and it sends a signal to the immobilizer that allows the car to start when you turn the ignition. Despite the drawbacks of the key (replacement cost, being careful it doesn't get wet, etc) I prefer the security of it.
  • Options
    mrs_fitmrs_fit Member Posts: 5
    I'm trying to find out where I can get '07 Fit accessories that are unavailable in Canada/USA. Especially the cargo mat (aka Magic Mat aka Ultra Mat). I'm also interested in finding out if it's cheaper to buy/ship the center armrest console from Asia or get aftermarket here. Does anybody know who I can email to find out?

I've been unsuccessful in reaching either Honda UK or Honda Access regarding the mat.

Does anybody know how much it would be to buy these and have them shipped to Canada?

And last but not least, are there any orange trim kits out there for the Blazing Orange Metallic Sport? I've seen them on a concept car, but unable to find them anywhere to buy.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Mrs_Fit

BTW, Honda Canada was completely useless in helping me on these issues.
  • Options
    There was something about this previously, possibly on fitfreak.net.

I think one website was daxmaxx.com but dont quote me on that. Just google it under "jazz accessories".

I think most* of the accesories you mentioned above are listed for the Jazz and may be the exact sameones. I am sure you can compare specs with the fit.

hope that helps
  • Options
    downshifterdownshifter Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a body kit for my Fit 2005 and found this site http://www.autodirectsave.com/parts/Body_Kits_&_Conversions . I'm thinking of ordering from this site. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    downshifterdownshifter Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    mklein2mklein2 Member Posts: 15
    I too would love to buy the Magic Mat. I live in the US. If you find a place to order this online, please post it here, as I would love to order one too!

thanks!
  • Options
    As a matter of fact, I just found a supplier in Japan yesterday. Their website is:

www.japanparts.com

I've found that even with shipping, it's cheaper to buy from them than from the UK (that's if I could actually find a place to order from there!!).

Their Fit stuff is very reasonably priced. Eg: Luggage mat (Magic mat) including shipping is about $200 CAD. When I found it in the UK, the price was 100 UK pounds, which is about $195 CAD not including shipping!!

I'll be ordering my stuff shortly :).
    Mrs_Fit.
  • Options
    bucknrosesbucknroses Member Posts: 4
    What can/can't you put in the smaller cupholders? Can a 12oz coke fit? What about a 20oz plastic bottle? Great pics by the way. Also, who did you order it from?
  • Options
  • Options
    mklein2mklein2 Member Posts: 15
    Wonderful! Thanks so much! I ordered it yesterday.

Mary
  • Options
    This place carries them:

www.japanparts.com

Called the Luggage Mat. Runs about $200 CAD including shipping.
  • Options
    Gang,

Here's a note from Jose Leng at Maxdax about the delivery and cost of painted side moldings:

Hi Bubba,

Thank you for your inquiry.

- Side molding: S$220 / USD144 per set painted (4pcs)

Shipping to the USA by postal air parcel:
    - Standard (15 to 20 days): USD43
    - Express (3 to 7 days): USD69

Please allow 4 working days for painted items to be ready before shipping.

Feel free to email if you have further questions. Thank you.

Warmest Regards,
    Leng
    Maxdax LLP (Reg. No. LL0500339C)

Maxdax.com

Looks like about $187 delivered in USA

Regards,
    Bubba :)

PS I asked about Milano Red moldings.........
  • Options
    jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    Has anyone bought generic mats at Target, Walmart, Autozone etc and could make some recommendations?
  • Options
    nascartrashnascartrash Member Posts: 33
    I have some generic mats in my 90 civic wagon they are the heavy rubber cut to fit mud and snow type I purchased them at walmart for under 25.00 they have been fine for 3+ years.so save your self some cash on floor mats so you can get that triple decker rear spoiler you always wanted....
  • Options
    I bought my car a month ago, and just noticed two tiny cuts/chips in the black plastic frame above the left and right front door windows, right under the rubber. Hard to put it into words but here are photos of the left and right front doors. You can see the lunar blue paint showing through.

passenger side
    driver side

No idea why it's in same place on both doors, perhaps some sort of tape that strapped across the top during transportation to dealer?

Is there some quick way to "patch" the plastic or should I take this in for a warrantee repair?
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • Options
    gidsgids Member Posts: 2
    Here is the response from Thule:
    Make: Honda
    Model: Fit sport model
    Year: 2007
    This solutions can be viewed on our website under this address:
    http://www.thuleracks.com/fit.asp?id=8176

I haven't bought one, but this appears to be a standard Thule solution.

Enjoy
  • Options
    ciara1ciara1 Member Posts: 25
    I'm considering ordering the Ultra Mat/Luggage Mat (someone else here had posted about it -- thanks!) and the JDM armrest console from japanparts.com. I have two questions: first, does anyone know of a better place to buy either part? The prices look reasonable there, but it never hurts to ask! Secondly, the console lid (sold separately) offers 6 choices. I know I want one of the gray/black versions, since we have a vivid blue pearl fit with black/gray interior, but does anyone know which of those would be the best match? Here's an image of the choices: http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=2784
    The first one and the second one look identical to me, though I can tell the third one is darker. If anyone here has one, please let me know which you picked and how well it matches. Thanks!
  • Options
    The second accessory I bought for my Fit was a Case Logic cargo organizer for $11.99 from our local Bed Bath and Beyond. This is a relatively new item AFAIK, and I had not seen it when I posted my original message. Dimensions are 23"L x 13"W x 12"H, and it attaches to the floor of the cargo area with Velcro tabs, which keep it from sliding. Certainly not as secure as the tie-downs supplied with the Honda cargo organizer, but good enough for my intended purpose: to keep grocery bags containing loose items like melons from falling over and rolling around in that spacious cargo area! It also has a zippered cover that can close the whole container to hide valuables, yet folds down against the sides so it doesn't obstruct use as an open container, so serves a function similar to the cargo cover.

BTW, my FIRST accessory was a JDM right side visor with mirror, a request from my wife before we even got the car!
  • Options
    "Certainly not as secure as the tie-downs supplied with the Honda cargo organizer, but good enough for my intended purpose: to keep grocery bags containing loose items like melons from falling over and rolling around in that spacious cargo area!"

You can do the same thing by utilizing "tall mode". :-)