Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    havingafithavingafit Member Posts: 22
    Aha! Now I get it! Thanks for the great explanation/illustration! I had no idea my car had one of those! I am definitely going to order the Curt receiver. That seems like a much better option than my original plan!
  • Options
    suetersueter Member Posts: 15
    So how does an udder that is to the rear of the fuel tank work as an early warning system? Won't you have already bottomed out on the forward stuff that was too low? Same question with regard to the idea that the udder protects the front dam.

Sueter
  • Options
    dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    I believe it's for when you're going backwards, down a hill (like backing down a driveway).
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You sure that's what that "udder" is for?? If it is, it seems like one primitive, crude device! I've never heard of such a device on any other car. Is there a reason it's shaped that way, or positioned where it is? I would have thought there is more of a chance of damaging the gas tank if it were located near the back like on most cars. I know a friend who backed her BMW into one of those concrete parking curbs, and got her has tank punctured by the metal tie on the curb. Gas leaked all over, and they had to call in the fire department to contain the situation! :blush:
  • Options
    ramoramo Member Posts: 66
    We're driving to San Diego from Canada in the next little while. I read that this city has high rate of car theft (8th in US) and prime targets are used Hondas. Does anyone think the Fit is a hot commodity at this stage? I have all the appropriate insurance, but would sure like to go home in the car I start out with. :shades:
  • Options
    fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    Part of my package was Theft Guard, which the dealer stated is activated on all the cars on the lot, but once you buy the car, goes inactive if you don't pay to have the service transferred to your car. I'm unclear if this is a car-tracking program, or just another car alarm. I should read the papers again, but I'm at work. Anyone else have TheftGuard?
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    I heard the purpose of the device was to protect the part of the fuel pipe that runs along the bottom of the car. In most cars where the tank is in the back, this isn't a problem, but for the Fit the pipe needs to go at the very bottom of the car to avoid the passenger compartment. Apparently if you are driving fast enough and you come across the right situations you could bottom out. If there was something on the road like a rock or something, conceivably it could rupture the fuel line. This "udder" makes sure the car doesn't actually bottom out to the point of damaging the fuel line.
  • Options
    "We're driving to San Diego...I read that this city has high rate of car theft (8th in US) and prime targets are used Hondas. Does anyone think the Fit is a hot commodity at this stage?"

I hope not :P
    I park my car in a locked garage at home and a parking garage at work. I have the CLUB locking device for everywhere else.
    In all seriousness though I wouldn't be too worried.

I think all the Fits I have seen are being driven by their registered owners :D
  • Options
    dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    All Fits are being driven by their registered owners? I wouldn't count on it...

I went to leave for work today, and noticed that my keyring was exceptionally light. Why? Because my darling, lovely, wife decided she wanted to drive the Fit to work today. Thing is, I had just filled the gas tank, and I knew hers was sitting on "E." Even worse, she forgot to leave her car keys, so I had to dig up the valet key from a drawer, to get to work.

She did leave a packed, insulated lunch bag on the seat, with gas money and an endearing note though... so, I can't get but so mad. :blush:
  • Options
    "TheftGuard"?! :confuse: Sounds like a dealer-scam! :sick:
  • Options
    Frankly, I would divorce her. :P In this case, I'm almost 100% sure you would get custody of the kids, plus the house and the Fit. Good chance she would also have to pay alimony! The bad news is, since you get nothing but a packed lunch everyday, the alimony wouldn't be much! You know how it goes, "the lifestyle to which he is accustomed....".

Perhaps my firm can help. Just send a $50,000 retainer in unmarked 20's....... :P :P ;)
  • Options
    OK, that makes sense. :)

I hope we won't see a story on 60 Minutes, or 20/20 on Fits bursting into flames!
  • Options
    I don't know. THe dealer threw it in about for free, and I asked the guy "so you must get a kickback from that company for each person signed up, because dealers never do anything out of the goodness of their heart" and he said ya, the more people they sign up for that the better for them.
  • Options
    carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    You and me both!
  • Options
    mohonkmtnmohonkmtn Member Posts: 6
    Hello all. If I'm actually able to find a base Fit in the NYC area, will I be able to have the Honda Music Link for iPod attached to it? I know that the Honda site lists this as an option for the base and the sport Fits, but some of the reviews claim that the Music Link is only an option for the Sports. Better yet--does anyone have a base fit with the Music Link actually attached to it? If so, how does it sound?
  • Options
    Yes, it always makes me a wee bit queasy when manufacturers start moving the gas tank around. To me, under the front seat, near the middle of the floor pan is not an ideal place, as that is most vulnerable in a scenario of bottoming-out, or getting high-centred, udder or no udder!
  • Options
    Really, how much of a difference does it make being placed two feet forward?
    If the car truly "bottoms-out", the entire area between the wheels will be hitting the ground at one point or another. A fuel tank below the front seats will be just as vulnerable as one near the rear wheels.
    As for getting high-centered...it doesn't take a lot of brain power to keep your car out of those situations, and I don't know about other Fit owners, but I don't plan to do any extreme off-roading in my car.

The fuel tank is essentially in the middle of the car anyway if it is placed between the two axles, which is the only safe place to put it. I would have to think that Honda engineers would think about "bottoming-out" when designing a global car for 1.5 million people.

Put a fuel tank in a really dumb place like behind the rear axle (Ford Crown Victoria) or in the engine compartment (Trabant) and that will make me queasy. ;)
  • Options
    bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Would this rear view mirror/map light combo, from our favorite auto place, fix the FIT's lack of map lights?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000351917/med- iaCode-ZX/appId-100000351917/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000351917

Thanks.
  • Options
    fitfan33fitfan33 Member Posts: 4
    A dealership is telling me that the FIT Sport does not come with a security system, is this true? Tthey want to make me pay an additional $400????
  • Options
    johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    Fit Sport DOES come with a security system... least that's what I remember reading at Honda's site.

Sounds like your dealership is ignorant, crooked, or possibly both. :mad:
  • Options
    mattschechtermattschechter Member Posts: 58
    Hey Guys,

I know one of the standard gripes is that there's no map light in the Fit, so here's a $10 solution that works better than any map light in any other car I've owned. In the hunting/fishing/outdoors section at Walmart they sell a light that is meant to clip onto the brim of a hat and used kind of as a head lamp.

It's called Cat's Eyes and it has three white LED's and comes with batteries. Instead of putting it on a hat, I just clipped it onto my sun visor. In the day, it's out of the way and at night when I need a map light I just tilt the visor down and switch it on... presto a simple, cheap and bright map light. You can find the product site here: Cat's Eyes

Now I'll see what I can do about the dead pedal, arm rest, locking gas cap, carpeting, and low-beam headlight aiming ;)

-Matt
  • Options
    If you read in the manual, it states that the horn and lights go off if the door is opened by any method other than the remote unlock or key in the door. IIRC.
  • Options
    mattschechtermattschechter Member Posts: 58
    Does anyone know what model number the radio in the base fit is?
  • Options
    Huge difference if the tank was placed between the rear wheels, because the rear wheels would significantly reduce the chance of the tank coming into contact with the ground. If the tank was between the front and rear wheels (where it is on the Fit), you could potentially expose the tank to damage simply by straddling a large speed bump (especially if the car was weighted down by people or cargo). And, as others have noted here, there isn't a whole lot of ground clearance on the Fit.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've looked at this one and one that I saw at Pep Boy's website. That one was auto dimming, compass, maplights and (as I recall) had outside temp. It looked exactly like the one I have in the Unlimited - I love it. I haven't yet talked to them about installing it, but that's the one I'd like.
  • Options
    First, sorry for confusion on the front/rear wheels. I was referring to cars that had the gas tank in front of the rear axle (both of my previous cars), and not between/around it.

"you could potentially expose the tank to damage simply by straddling a large speed bump"

Good point, but no.
    I decided to look under the car myself and check. There is what appears to be a thick, strong beam on either side of the fuel tank. In the event that you found a speed bump that is extremely high, the car would rest upon these two beams (and the rest of the chassis). The fuel tank would not be even scratched.
    Mounted at the same level as those beams is a large plastic shield that guards the fuel tank. The fuel tank itself is a little ways above that. There is even a metal shield for the area where the filler pipe connects with the tank.
    From looking at the bottom of the car, I can say that anything that could damage the Fit's centrally-mounted tank would be the same things that could damage any car's tank...large rocks, debris, etc.

...and regarding the straddling a speed bump, the Fit is actually not too low. In the parking lot at my work, there is a large speed bump that I have actually hit the bottom of the car with in a Dodge Stratus carrying three adults. I have gone over the same bump with my Fit (with five adults) and nothing happened.

Don't worry! :)
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't realize Honda has gone to such great length to protect the gas tank. Good to know though! :shades:
  • Options
    elladineelladine Member Posts: 9
    i was wondering if anyone purchased this yet? i was thinking of getting it for mine just for looks of course, make my sporty more sporty looking. i was wondering though if anyone has, do you notice any kind of change in the sound of the muffler? i know it's not a completely new muffler or anything, but iw as wondering if adding it on changed the sound at all.
  • Options
    cmkcmk Member Posts: 59
    Wheel covers are wheel covers, right?

These hubcaps would go on base fit, right?

If so, they look like a nice alternative.
  • Options
    I think as long as the bolt holes line up with the lug nut pattern (which I think they should), then you're ok. The one on the far right should look pretty sharp on the Fit. However, that still won't rectify the fact that the stock 14" tire/wheel just look too dinky on the Fit. :cry:
  • Options
    boatfloydboatfloyd Member Posts: 29
    I have added one to my Sport Fit. It looks neat, but I haven't noticed any difference in the sound of the exhaust.
    boatfloyd :)
  • Options
    elladineelladine Member Posts: 9
    thanks, just what i wanted to hear =)

well i'd have gotten one anyway, but i just was curious
  • Options
    jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    I must say the exhaust tip is finished to "fit" quite well.
    Adds just a little something to prove there is a motor in there ;)
  • Options
    frogdaddyfrogdaddy Member Posts: 33
    I looked at a friend of mines xm (or other satellite provider) and it appears to have a similar interface. I had XM in the my 2004 Accord that was a part of the head unit. The sound is better than FM transmitter or other means of signal to radio. So, can you use the Aux or MusicLink for Satellite?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    jcormanejcormane Member Posts: 2
    We just got our 2007 honda fit sport and wanted to install aftermarket speakers. Where are the crossovers in the fit, do you know? Are they in the head unit or somewhere else?

I'd like to find out before I start trying to install the set of speakers we are thinking about buying. Crutchfield says they fit the sport model but I'd like to talk to someone who has done it before I start taking apart the doors.

thanks
    joe
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    You can use the Aux jack for a satellite radio (just need a cable), don't think you can use the MusicLink (which is extra, anyway). I'm using a Roady XT plugged into the Aux jack and am very happy with it - sound is equivalent (at least to my ears) to the sound in the Wrangler with the Alpine Head (the model where the XM tuner is integrated in the head).
  • Options
    sgroffsgroff Member Posts: 3
    I've done the front mats. The carpet and underfloor mat are already cut; you just have to slice through a couple of tabs. Pull up the tabs, shove the plastic thingy in until it clicks, clip the carpets on. Took about half an hour.

I did not go through the same exercise for the rear mats. The front seat supports prevent the rear mats from sliding forward. As long as rear seat occupants don't slide them forward, there is no value in securing them.

In addition, the front attachment point for the rear mats is way under the front seats, and the rear attachment point is way back under the back seats. Requires some physical dexterity in reaching them.
  • Options
    john145john145 Member Posts: 2
    I found another supplier online who specializes only in armrests. Over 100 models. His armrest for Honda Fit looks much better and is much cheaper. I think I will get one.
    Have a look:
    www.armrest-autoaccessories.com
    I would like to hear what you think about it?

John
  • Options
    kctay396kctay396 Member Posts: 2
    Any solution to the cupholders being in front of the gear shift and not beside you?
  • Options
    getnfittywiditgetnfittywidit Member Posts: 50
    this bothers me too a little bit. Can't seem to get a cup of Starbucks up to my mouth and back without spilling. I definitely shouldn't try while I'm driving. :-) I've got to get used to it.

I think the optional armrest has a cup holder in it, yes?

I loved the position of cuphold was in my 95 Accord LX Wagon, behind the emergency brake and right along side me. And I loved the little lift out tray that I could snap out and put in the dishwasher.
  • Options
    billygbillyg Member Posts: 29
    I have been looking at that product as well as an armrest from Zeta Products. Can't make up my mind. I see no need to fold back the armrest and Zeta' stationary armrest seems to have a larger storage area and still allow the operation of the parking brake. Also, it has a cup holder for the rear passengers.

On the other hand, I really like the looks your autoaccessories model. Should you buy it, it would be great if you could share your experience.

Regards
  • Options
    fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    I kind of like the $95 shipped price tag. The other guys' high B$ shipping charges kind of get to me.
  • Options
    munchie1munchie1 Member Posts: 9
    I just looked at the picture of it. I don't think it will fit on the Fit. The Fits rear view mirror is attached to the head liner. The mirror they show is meant to attach to the wind shield.
  • Options
    bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Thanks, Munchie

Bubba :cry:
  • Options
    fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    I bought some of these (thanks to a tip on one of these forums) from Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/qkmyc

I affixed a silver one to the plastic piece right in front of the rear-view mirror attachment at the headliner. Inconspicuous and works well as a map light. Easy to reach. They have a "high-tech" 3-M adhesive that doesn't ruin things and is supposed to be reusable.

I put a black one inside the glove box pointed away from the driver and another black one inside the hatch cubbyhole on the passenger side opposite the Honda light that is on the driver's side.
  • Options
    bluebell2bluebell2 Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone located a source for a locking gas cap, or a lock for the gas cap? I thought I read this a while back, but can't find the post. If there is a source, please let us know. Honda Service says they do not have such a part, and that locking gas caps from other Honda models don't fit (no pun!) Thanks
  • Options
    jcormanejcormane Member Posts: 2
    We just got ours from collegehillshonda.com We got most of our accessories from them.

Go under imports and they sell the locking gas cap..
  • Options
    Have you installed the gas cap? Does it fit? Will try to locate the part and order it.
  • Options
    shneorshneor Member Posts: 66
    I got mine at the Honda dealer when I picked up my car in April. $28 including sales tax.
  • Options
    Thank you for letting us know about the availability of the locking gas cap. We were told today by our local Honda dealership that Honda does not make a locking gas cap for the Fit - that there is no such part. We will follow up tomorrow, with this dealership, since we just purchased it on-line.