Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• gmontagewgmontagew Member Posts: 32
    Really--This'll be my last interruption, but for purposes of clarity this is a cutpaste from one of the many reviews mentioning quirkiness with CVT technology:

"The other major drive train development is the continuously-variable automatic transmission (CVT), which is becoming rather common, as manufacturers chase higher fuel mileage and lower emissions.
    This unit, supplied by XXXX, is similar in concept and design to competitive units. Most CVTs depend on the engine quickly getting to its most efficient operating rpm and then varying the transmission ratio as required for acceleration and cruising.
    We’re still not enamoured of this transmission design but that is likely due to an aggressive driving style. If you are more sedate at the wheel and rarely use full throttle, you might not even become aware that the transmission is different."

Note, I avoided mentioning the manufacturer in this review, but it isn't Toyota. The review itself is from MSN.
  • jetjockgjetjockg Member Posts: 80
    I have a 2003 Murano 2wd that has a CVT. I love it! I am a rather agressive driver but the transmission does everything demanded from it. It is fun leaving a toll booth and leaving every one in the dust. The car accelerates faster than cars with more horsepower because of the transmission. When climbing hills in mountainous terrain the speed stays constant and the RPM moves up and down choosing the best power. I think I am more fussy about my beercan transmission in my 2007 Camry ie because of my experience driving the Murano.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i may be wrong, but i don't think the camry uses CVT technology.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You are quite correct. There is no CVT technology in the Camry except in the Hybrid. The V6 is a six speed regular automatic transmission.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Only the Camry Hybrid ( TCH ) does.
  • silverstarsilverstar Member Posts: 56
    When you take your foot off the gas pedal ..., it thinks that you are stopping so the engine brakes...

One of the '07 6-speed Camry's I test-drove in September did exactly that. My Camry's 'new-old' 6 speed tranny did that often and I told my dealer about it, and the newly replaced transmission does that about half the time (not always), but I have not noticed the accompanying "jerks you into the next gear" you reference.

Like you, I don't care at all for the engine braking when I have taken the foot off the gas pedal.

However, for the moment, I'm assuming this as an intentional, programmed, behavior, and so I am starting to resign myself to live with it - at least until the very moment they release a new 6-speed TSB/program to address this unusual engine braking.
    if you were driving a manual / stick and took your foot off the gas, eventually you'd find yourself downshifting to match engine output with speed.

my 5spd and 4sp AT (Hondas) will downshift. they also have grade logic for holding the vehicle in lower gears to assist in going up and down steep grades. it all seems pretty natural for me, comming from a history of driving exclusively vehicles with manual transmissions - although sometimes the upshifts and downshifts don't happen exactly as i would have executed them in a manual... ;)

the issue may be the gearing of the transmission, torque convertor capability, engine power and the programming of the ECU/TCM to achieve the highest fuel efficiency possible.

i suppose that if the vehicle is shifting up rather quickly into higher gears to get the best FE, as they say, what goes up, must come down (eventually anyway). more gears, more shifting.

the number of gears in the transmission, the gearing ratios, torque convertor and engine capabilities, and the programming is going to dictate when shifting will have to occur so that it's a smooth experience (just as it would be in a manual).

i'd be surprised if the vehicle shifted immediately upon releasing the gas in any speed. one would think there's some hysteresis or rpm/speed band where the vehicle shifts into then back out of a particular gear, or exercises a feature of the torque convertor (lockup/unlock).

it's possible as you say, they are still optimizing that programming to match the transmission, engine power, FE, and drivability requirements, but it's possible some aspect of your transmission / torque convertor isn't working properly.
  • dragondrawdragondraw Member Posts: 4
    Thanks...That is the info I had, now I need to get some space to get it to the dealer!
    R
  • 1sttoyotaowned1sttoyotaowned Member Posts: 11
    I read this post a while back and have been meaning to respond since I have experienced the same/ or similar problem. I've been getting a squeek, whine/whistle sound every now and then and finally found the culprit this morning on the way to work. The sound is coming from the upper seat belt latch assembly ( the part where the seat belt comes out of the pilar between the driver side front and pass. door). I kept hearing the sound when driving at low speeds. Seems road noise masks the sound after going so fast. The thing is that while driving, as my body moves in the seat, the seat belt moves moving that assembly creating that annoying noise. I kept hearing it when going over bumps, turning, when reversing and could not pin point the noise until I "replicated" (seems to be the buzz word I keep getting from the dealer) it with the car off this morning. I hope this is the source of your noise problem. I intend to report this issue to the dealer along with the growing list of other problems I am and keep encountering.

I just got my car back from the dealer yesterday following another drop my car off episode in hopes to remedy the "RPM FLARE" I've been experiencing for months. I initially brought my car in several times for that issue but everytime I would bring it in I would get the "If we can not duplicate/replicate the problem you are experiencing, we can not fix it". After numerous trips to the dealer, I finally printed up a lot of posts from this forum with similar problems and got the car doing it on video. I kept saying, am I the only one who is experiencing this in this area because this is not an isolated incident showing the service advisor all the information I had with me and kept re-iterating that I have it on video. She did not care to read the info nor would the video tell them anything. I finally got to talk with a a Lead Tech and I think the Shop Foreman. I told them I kept experiencing the flare when they finally came out and said "Oh, there is a TSB out that describes your exact problem." It was like pulling teeth to get that out. I mean in a nut shell, it was like they knew that there was a TSB for that issue but until they could duplicate the problem during a test drive, they could/would not do anything.
    They ordered the parts (new valve body, gaskets and some other parts) and have already performed the TSB. They told me problem is fixed, I returned with problem not resolved and scheduled another visit. Since then I have had a growing list of issues that I will post about later today. I will be speaking with the Service Manager in a few moments and feel that I should refrain from commenting on my other issues until I give them the opportunity to resolve.
    I don't think Toyota knows what technology they use in their transmission judging from the number of complaints they receive world wide.
    According to my information sourced from the net, Toyota uses CVT technology on three models; Camry Hybrid (4cyl), Highlander Hybrid, and Prius. As reviewers commonly note,these take some "getting used to", and this phenomenon is also typical of other manufacturer's models with CVT.
    The Camry V6 uses a conventional 6 speed. As with most other manufacturers using conventional transmission designs,
    fuel economy and emmissions are prioritized, and the CPU's job is to optimize these parameters. This gives rise to some unusual shift patterns and characteristics which are more or less noticeable depending on one's style of driving.

That said,I would be interested in knowing the source of your information stating the number of complaints Toyota has received world wide. Could you provide this?
    Thanks.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    gmontagew:

Read the posts here about the people having problems with their transmissions. NONE of them have CVT equipped vehicles. In fact, the only group that seems completely immune from tranny issues and the only ones who don't have to "get used to" their cars are the ones who own the hybrids with CVT.
    Beantown:
    Thanks, and yes, I have seen reports here. My question, however, concerns the world wide statistics referred to by Jetjockg, but no numbers or sources were provided. Unfortunately, this forum provides only a small sampling, and is not by any means indicative of a worldwide picture. I asked for the source of that broader picture out of curiosity more than anything else.
    the manufacturer isn't providing this information. certainly they would have the infrastructure to collect and tabulate a more honest statistic.

so, if they don't provide it, then who can provide one which everyone could agree upon?
    User 777, I suspect you're quite correct in that assumption. I figured as much when I requested backup. In reality, no one except perhaps Toyota knows, and it's unlikely anyone else can provide more than a wild guess. In terms of 'who else' can provide one, evidently some are quite willing to provide just that....a wild guess!
    Sometimes I wonder if there isn't a little too much over the top speculation in forums like this one, but perhaps that's understandable, given the nature of the title. Meanwhile, I digress, so it's back on topic.........
    I believe that a few of you are not paying close attention to my posts. When I talked about my Murano's CVT I was replying to an undocumented (please give me an address) post #2392 semi bashing the CVT. When I compared My Murano to my 2007 Murano LE I was talking about reliability. Most every one knows that the 2007 Camry Le does not have a CVT, but I believe it would be better off if it did compared to what it has now.
    As for world wide documentation of who I quoted--- There are about four articles that have been posted many times on this forum. You must be newbies! Here are a few--
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? AID=/20061017/FREE/61016020/1024/LATESTNEWS
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/08/04/business/recall.php

http://www.gembapantarei.com/2006/08/when_did_toyota_get_to_be_a_company_like_th- is.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06214/710304-185.stm

Also there were two or more TSB concerning Transmissions of different models.

It is difficult to get accurate documentation because as the folks who had the TSB performed know the dealer does not state there is a defective transmission. All they say is recalibrated computer. There is supposed to be a sticker pasted under the hood so other service techs will know. I would like to know how many techs did that.
    Ther are other QC issues with the camry like the dash seams are different on both sides.ETC.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    So can I teach the Camry to start from first gear?

Probably not, since the transmission, though adaptive, has a memory span like a Goldfish. But you can MAKE the Camry start in first. All you have to do is romp on the gas....it'll start in first.
  • patrickhtpatrickht Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 2007 Camry LE I noticed that when the doors are closed there is a quarter inch gap where the passenger door meets the upper dash, on the drivers side there is a small seem I can't believe that this defect was not spotted before the car lefe the factory. Do you have the same defect? Please reply thanks.

Pat
  • patrickhtpatrickht Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a 2007 Camry LE and noticed a defect in the dash also. There is a much larger gap between the passenger door and the dash than on the drivers side. On the driver's side the gap is less than one eight inch. Does anybody the same problem at least seven other vehicles on the lot had the same defect while some did not.
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    About 5/32-3/16" on each side in my Japanese XLE.

Tell you anything???????
  • shasta67shasta67 Member Posts: 109
    I just got off the phone with a car dealer in the town where I live. I told him about the 4 cyl problems a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find out that he had not heard of them. (I should say a little suspicious too) He told me today that in January they were going to have a "full" recall on all of the 4 cyl auto models. I am not really sure what that means.

I asked him about the problems they have been having with the 6 cyl models (the one he knows I want) and he told me he had not heard anything other than the first problems they had. He did say it would be a good idea to go ahead and buy the extended warranty just in case. lol You got to love salesmen.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    My 07 Camry Hybrid has equal spacing on each side, (dash to door) ...Japanese built.
  • damon34damon34 Member Posts: 124
    Well I am sorry to see that alot of people are still having problems with the 4cyl. I traded my 2007 se 4cyl in alittle over a month ago. It cost me about 4 grand but I am alot happier without the problems. I will never buy another toyota again. My wife and I both buy new cars every two years, So I guess that is money that Toyota will not be receiving from us again. Good luck to everybody .
  • samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    What did you purchase to replace the Camry?
    EL012-06 NAVIGATION SYSTEM SHOWS VEHICLE IN WRONG LOCATION

11/14/2006 - 2006 – 2007 model year 4Runner and Sienna vehicles equipped with the Toyota Navigation System produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB. 2007 model year Camry, Camry HV, and Solara vehicles equipped with the Toyota Navigation System produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB.

Some customers may experience a condition with their navigation system, where the vehicle icon is intermittently shown on the map in the wrong location. A special DVD map disc with a revised operating system has been developed to remedy this condition.

NOTE: If the customer has purchased a Gen 5 update disc after November 1, 2006, then this TSB is NOT applicable.

New replacement disc #, 5-464210-092
  • concertkeyconcertkey Member Posts: 59
    I posted a message back in September about my August-built Camry SE-V6. I have the continual engine braking also, but worse, when you slow down to 25 mph or so, the engine braking will suddenly release and the car shoots forward. I mentioned then that this is a hazard that Toyota should fix. If the engine is braking and you have your foot on the brake, the car should not suddenly release from the braking and shoot forward.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I agree, as my v-6 se does the same thing. How is your trans? Do you have the rpm flare. I am on my second trans and still have rpm flare. It took almost two week for the flare to start up again after the trans replacement. I'm not sure if I should have them do another trans replacement or wait for a fix which they don't seem to have now? This car has more noises then any car I have owned before.
    Toyota's quality is being compromised!
  • blindmantooblindmantoo Member Posts: 139
    Both my wife and I have noticed this - not the braking, but the sensation that the vehicle speeds up when slowing to a stop. I'm afraid to get anything done since we have no other issues.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My Lexus does that - it's the transmission unlocking from engine braking as it gets close to the stop. It has to do that, or the engine will stall. The only other alternative would be to unlock as soon as you let off the gas, and freewheel, which is what most cars used to do. I think this is intended, whether liked or not, and not a malfunction.
    I now have almost 90 miles on the 'new/replaced' 6-speed transmission.

All day today the engine braking behavior was most annoying. I take my foot off the accelerator pedal in order to coast to next light or turn, I can feel the engine actively decelarate the car faster than normal -exactly like a manual tranmission does in the middle of lower gears.

What is baffling to me is that it now does it about 7 out of 10 times. The other three times it will coast (freewheel) as I expect it to - like probably all other automatics I have driven over the last 25+ years.

I reiterate: It engine brakes sometimes and not the other times in seemingly identical situations.

I've also experienced this: As I brake from 50 to 40 to 30 to 20, I can actually feel the transmission shift down as I slow down - I feel the jerk from engine braking as the tranny shifts down to match my speed.

Me thinks that aggressive engine braking is the result of keeping the transmission always engaged and matched to road speed so that there isn't the response lag when we want to accelerate (this might be a fix to the lag many of us have complained about).

I also suspect that the sensation that the vehicle speeds up when slowing to a stop mentioned by blindmantoo is the feeling one gets as the transmission temporarily goes into neutral when applying the brake and the initial decelaration forces go from tranny+brake to just brakes.

In other words you are still slowing down but not at the same rate and so in a confusing way the body interprets this as a speed-up sensation.
    and freewheel, which is what most cars used to do nvbanker I realize you were referring to the sudden release/unlock when once you have slowed down to 25 or less.

On a slightly different aspect to this issue, Apart from eliminating the hesitation while it re-engages if should want to speed up immediately, I would like to understand what is gained by not unlocking at the moment of throttle lift say at 35 or 40?
  • camry07indycamry07indy Member Posts: 14
    Camry SE V6 6 speed automatic produced in Kentucky 08/06.
    I have the 3rd-4th gear rpm flare.
    It started at about 1200 miles, and the car has 2000 miles on it now, and it's not gotten any worse.
    It only does it once after starting out cold, and transmission shifts normally thereafter. And I do love the way it works at keeping the engine in the powerband.

I've been reading every forum and post I can find, and nothing seems to fix it. It always comes back.
    This transmission is supposed to learn and adapt to the driving style of the driver from what I've read.
    My gut feeling is that it'll turn out to be a programming problem.

As to the braking issue, I'm not bothered by it.
    The performance gain from having a close ratio 6 speed automatic far outweighs this minor idiosyncrasy. I quickly adjusted to it. YMMV
  • carfreak123carfreak123 Member Posts: 20
    It is getting cold here in the Northeast. Went out this morning and the back window was covered in frost, no problem, I just turned on the rear defroster. It seemed to work well. However, there are 4 horizontal "lines" across the very top of the window (side to side) that did not defrost.

I know that the rear window defroster works by creating electrical resistance across the metal lines on the window thereby creating heat. The question concerns the top 4 metal line, are they used for the heat or possibly for the radio?

Regards...
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Carefully inspect the connections of the lines baked onto the glass. Look for a scratch across the line going up to the top 4 from wiping the glass with a cloth that was dry or had a piece of grit in it.

You can also check for resistance and continuity with a volt-ohms tester.

Call the local dealership and ask about the top lines. On all my cars the radio antenna is integrated with the rear defroster but all the wires work.

If you find a slight scratch it be repaired with a special conductive paint by dealer, jobber, or maybe yourself if you find it at parts stores.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you said that they were supposed to be that way :( I have less than 1000 miles on the car and have never touched the back window. It's off to Toyota service I guess.
    DON'T LISTEN TO EVERY TOM, DICK AND HARRY!

A lot of posters don't even have the vehicle and even more don't have a clue what they are writing.

There is nothing wrong with your defroster!!!!

The top lines on the back window are your radio antenna.

I'm sure it mentions it in your owners manual.
    07xle, thank you for confirming. I was looking specifically for someone who had an 07 Camry to confirm or deny. I used to do all of my own maintenance, even repaired a few defroster lines back in the day... For some reason, I suspected the top lines were associated with the radio and am happy not to make an @ss out of myself with the Toyota service manager.

Have a great Thankgiving everyone.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    The only @ss's are the ones who don't ask questions as there are no stupid questions as there isn't anyone who knows it all but lots of people who think they do. :shades:
  • concertkeyconcertkey Member Posts: 59
    I have 1100 miles on the car and do not have the rpm flare. My car was very quiet when I first got it in the summer but has gotten noiser with some sort of buzzing coming from the dash right in front of the steering wheel. I can push on the dash and create additional noise. I lean my left knee against the door and the plastic squeaks as it flexes. There also seems to be a rattle coming from the air vents at times.
  • thetxstangthetxstang Member Posts: 28
    My wife just noticed something tonight that we've not noticed before on our 2007 Camry XLE V6: There's no light in the glovebox when it's open. :surprise: I reached around to feel for a light bulb but found nothing. There seems like there might be an empty receptacle, but I can't tell for certain.

Can someone please tell me if there is indeed supposed to be a light in the glovebox?
  • toyota07toyota07 Member Posts: 12
    was the engine off when you checked the glove box? Mine lights up only when the car is running.
    That's very interesting that the glovebox light only comes on when the car is running. I've never seen that before in any vehicle I've ever owned.

At any rate, no, with my car there's still no light even when the car is running. I might have a bad bulb or no bulb at all since I can't seem to find one. :confuse:
    If you all would take the time to read your owners manual, you would know that the light comes on when the instrument lights are on and the glove box is opened!!!
    Thank you for the kind response.

That said, I also tried turning the instrument lights on and there's still no light in the glovebox. Suppose I will be taking a trip to the dealer tomorrow morning.
  • ranbeauranbeau Member Posts: 2
    I too live in the Tidwater area and purchased the 07 Camry V6 XLE in June. I am having the same issues with my transmission and I was wondering what actions have ben taken to resolve the problem. My car has been at two different Toyota dealerships to have the problem fixed four times now with no luck. As of 11/22/06 I have had the Throttle/Valve Body replaced and still have the RPM Flare between 3rd & 4th gear. The service manager tells me that this the first time Toyota has replaced the throttle/valve body and it did not fix the problem. After reading other comments on this forum I'm having a hard time believing him. I've heard from one Toyota Sales Manger that some customers have received a new car.
    curious: did you have your transmission replaced, or transmission solenoid/valve assembly replaced?
  • mmogabmmogab Member Posts: 11
    I remember reading an article in Automotive News in one of the November issues (it's published weekly I belive). It mentioned that Toyota was having to "reprogram" the software for the transmission. I saved the article and once I return back home from the holidays I will post the article on this forum.
  • ranbeauranbeau Member Posts: 2
    They replaced the following:
    New Throttle Body
    - Body Assy, Transmiss
    - Ring, O
    - Gasket
    - Gasket, Transaxle OI
    - ATFWS Type WS ATF

Sensor CKT R/R Valve Body Found A Damaged Sensor (on new valve body)removed sensor off Old Body and installed on new valve body.