Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? Or, are you planning on using your tax refund toward any expenses related to your car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Are you the parent of a generation Z child (born in the mid-1990s to the early 2000s)? Do you have differing opinions on the importance of buying a car, what types of vehicles you're interested in, or just how you view cars in general? If so, a reporter would like to speak with you and your child. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Car Subscription vs. Lease vs. Purchase

2»

Comments

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 94,226

Almost $8K per year. I suppose there are lease payments that commonly equal that.

Easily. But, those payments would be on a car with a substantially higher MSRP than the XC40.

If you use the 1% guideline, you're looking at cars in the $60-70K price bracket.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Posts: 30,783
    Well, probably could get that to lease at $500/month sign and drive (I assume the subscription plan has no up front fees like you find on a lease?). So $150 for convenience of being able to get out in a shorter time frame, ability to switch cars, and the insurance? Depending on who you are and where you live, I suppose that could push $150?

So on the high side, but probably not too far from actual cost to lease. And if you don’t want it 3 years might make sense.

Just seems like a long term rental to me. Some people might need that arrangement. If it moves a few extra cars, good for Volvo. If not, they scrap it. Not that expensive of a plan really for them to take a flyer on it.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• carolsutton_86carolsutton_86 San Jose, CAPosts: 1
    So, here comes in the car subscription. I think I will consider checking and know all the facts first before I will try this. Thank you for posting such useful information.
  • antoninbantoninb Posts: 49
    Definitely not interested, for the same reason that I steer clear of leases. While the convenience may be appealing on the surface, I would not want to be in a forced relationship with a dealer or insurer where they will always clearly have the upper hand. I learned that the hard way with leasing.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 63,010
    It seems though that these subscription plans, at least in theory, are attempting to loosen the restrictions one normally has with leases.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• GamesBx2GamesBx2 UKPosts: 1

Almost $8K per year. I suppose there are lease payments that commonly equal that.

Yes, I think 8k usd!
    I'm a programmer at GamesBx.com
  • bryanfox177bryanfox177 TexasPosts: 2
    Actually depends on what kind of person you are. If you're the type of person that loses interest in their things in a short time then maybe leasing might be for you, but if you're the type that holds on to their possessions for a long time then why not buy it? But on a financial standpoint or perspective you might save more when leasing a car.
  • jdm11jdm11 Posts: 1
    Chicago area dealers, and/or probably their customers are on crack. Can someone please explain to me how "general joe public BMW driver" affords the car. I honestly dont believe the payments people pay to drive a mediocre car. Are you honestly paying those numbers? Idiots!
2»