Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Owners of Diesel Cars, Trucks and SUVs: Talk About Your Vehicles HERE.

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
edited April 2018 in General
A small but enthusiast segment of car and truck owners appreciate the positive attributes of owning a diesel-powered vehicle, in spite of recent scandals and rising fuel prices. We'd like to hear more about "what you know that others don't" about modern diesel technology, and perhaps where you think its place is, in the future development of the internal combustion engine.

Will we see more diesel hybrids? Diesel plug-ins? Will diesels always be the tow vehicle of choice for recreational drivers hauling a lot of weight?

What's the resale picture going to be like? Has your diesel proven to be worth the extra $$$ you paid for that engine choice?

Is it actually true, for you, that "diesels require less maintenance"? Are you able to verify or refute that claim with your own experiences?

If you had to do it over again, would you buy another diesel vehicle when the time comes?

Comments

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Thanks shifty!

I'm a new diesel owner, I've had a 2016 VW Touareg TDI for about 2 months now. I previously had a gas powered V6 Touareg which I really loved but felt it was a little underpowered. The diesel is the perfect match for a vehicle this size and weight. The added fuel economy is nice, but given the diesel engine cost more it's not a reason to buy one alone.

I'm looking forward to learning more about life as a diesel owner as I get more time with the Touareg.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My buddy the Porsche technician drives a diesel Touareg and loves it. He commutes from the North Bay to San Jose 2X a week and he finds it way more comfortable than his Porsche to drive. I'm going to take it for a spin next week.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029

My buddy the Porsche technician drives a diesel Touareg and loves it. He commutes from the North Bay to San Jose 2X a week and he finds it way more comfortable than his Porsche to drive. I'm going to take it for a spin next week.

I think you'll be amazed at the torque. I was fortunate enough to take a test drive with @jpp5862 in the Touareg (not the one he eventually bought) and I love how effortless it gets to speed. Perfect for the mountains here in CO.

I think it would be a great long distance traveler.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it. So far I've found it to be a great driver, comfortable and the torque really hits the sweet spot.
    Every Diesel Car and Truck You Can Buy in 2018

Chevy Cruze diesel MPG is impressive!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    An update on my two diesels. Living in Pahrump NV we are not putting many miles on either the GMC Canyon diesel or the VW Touareg TDI. MPG suffers when a long trip here is 6 miles to eat out. Most places we eat or shop are within 3 miles. Did drive the Touareg to Las Vegas today for banking. That does not do much to improve the MPG according to the computer. Sitting at 23.2 MPG for 320 miles on this tank. Overall average speed 26 MPH. That includes the 40 mile stretch over the mountain to LV at 75 MPH. The GMC Canyon has 191 miles over the last 33 days. All short trips in town. Computer shows 21.7 MPG. Still far better than any PU truck I have ever owned. Both are averaging 21-22 MPG short trips around town. Need to make some road trips this Summer. The question is which do I drive, I really like them both? Not many PU trucks will return 21.75 MPG loaded down pulling a box trailer. My last load from CA to NV.

I test drove the GMC Terrain diesel. It would likely replace my Touareg TDI if I ever sell it. I lean toward the Chevy Equinox Premier trim. They don't offer the diesel in the Denali trim on the Terrain yet. Having the dealer 2.5 miles from home is a very big plus. Overall average for the Chevy Equinox diesels is a very impressive 35 MPG. Some owners in the 40s.

It looks like Jeep finally has their Grand Cherokee diesel act together. So I would for sure check them out as well.
    gagrice said:

I test drove the GMC Terrain diesel. It would likely replace my Touareg TDI if I ever sell it. I lean toward the Chevy Equinox Premier trim. They don't offer the diesel in the Denali trim on the Terrain yet. Having the dealer 2.5 miles from home is a very big plus. Overall average for the Chevy Equinox diesels is a very impressive 35 MPG. Some owners in the 40s.

It looks like Jeep finally has their Grand Cherokee diesel act together. So I would for sure check them out as well.
    gagrice said:

The Terrain / Equinox use a smaller diesel than the Canyon / Colorado, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

No the 1.6L diesel used in the Equinox/Cruze/Terrain is a new engine. The Canyon/Colorado 2.8L is just half of a full size Duramax. I think the 1.6L comes from Opel in Germany. Of course the Duramax is a GM/Izusu engine.
    gagrice said:

No the 1.6L diesel used in the Equinox/Cruze/Terrain is a new engine. The Canyon/Colorado 2.8L is just half of a full size Duramax. I think the 1.6L comes from Opel in Germany. Of course the Duramax is a GM/Izusu engine.

And the 1.6 is not the engine in the Cruze?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited June 2018
    Yes the 2018 Cruze uses the 1.6L The sedan puts up 52 mpg highway for a full tank range of 702 miles.

It's a small engine, but can produce 240 ft lb torque.

I would think a manual/diesel/hatchback version would be a pretty attractive package in the low $20K range.

Yes the 2018 Cruze uses the 1.6L The sedan puts up 52 mpg highway for a full tank range of 702 miles.

It's a small engine, but can produce 240 ft lb torque.

I would think a manual/diesel/hatchback version would be a pretty attractive package in the low $20K range.

Except the manual part is ending after the 2018 model year

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

It's the way of the world.
    edited June 2018
    I would be very happy with 40 MPG in a Equinox CUV. If you get the top trim they are nice. About $40k nice. I am hoping they get a better transmission. Still the old 6 speed. Not in a league with my Touareg by a long ways. It will be paid off next month and runs like a top. 47k miles going on 5 years old. My 2017 GMC Canyon is behind on the electronics. No HD FM Radio. I do have SiriusXM that I just renewed for a year at $99. I was going to dump it. Nothing is perfect. I also dumped Onstar. Not worth it to me.
    Just checking what is available in like models to my 2013 Touareg Lux TDI. Only 3 listed in the US. From $26k to $32k. The Lux V6 gas 11 available from $14k to $24k. Mine is like new pristine always garaged. I would not even consider less than $33k. It is paid for and runs better than ever. A few cheaper with 80k to 120k miles on them. There is only one in California it is the highest priced. CA has always been a good market for diesels. Most of the 22 for sale are in the Eastern half of the USA.
    Still happy with my two diesels. And diesel is cheaper than RUG for the last year or more. Only thing that would get me in the mood to buy another vehicle would be a small utility van with diesel. Just big enough for a 4x8 sheet of plywood inside. Since I put the fiberglass shell on my GMC Canyon, I cannot get much inside. Big mistake. Only put 2000 miles on it in last 12 months. Mostly use it to go shooting 5 miles away. Or to the nursery for garden supplies. It was costing over $100 a month for insurance with Farmers. I started shopping around and after 36 years with Farmers I switched all to Progressive. Cut my total insurance autos and homeowners in half. With better coverage.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Interesting about the insurance. I think insurance companies count on inertia, to keep their customers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Small diesel utility van is off my radar, and the new Chevy Tahoe diesel is full on. I will trade in the 2017 GMC Canyon diesel as soon as they are available. All new with independent rear suspension and the diesel engine they are selling in the 1500 Silverado. Rated 33 MPG on the highway, WOW. Just when it looked like diesel was dead. Room for a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the seats folded flat and my favorite saddle brown leather.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    2017 diesel cruze has 80k miles. clutch secondary cylinder failed, new clutch $3400, + NOx sensor another $500+. eats rear brakes due to corrosion/low-bias, rotors constantly scored due to rocks/salt and open-wheels. It remains a blast to drive, ultimate stealth and leapfrogging. 50+ mpg NH -> FL last week.

2019 diesel terrain is still under factory warranty, under 30k miles... only issue was transmission throttle valve froze at -16F in MN overnight, caused ECM to throw a code before it thawed and unlocked the upper gears after 10 minutes. 34 mpg overall, 40 highway. I rarely use cruise control on highway even on cross-country cruises in my SS Sedan. But the coolest thing about this GMC terrain aside from the diesel is the "adaptive cruise" in slow & go or stop & go traffic. "Adaptive cruise" in stop & go traffic seems to be the one feature that can sell me on automatic transmission over stickshift.