Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2K Ford Explorer Sport Trac's

Comments

• sutrucksutruck Member Posts: 10
    Rocles,

You're comments are below me. Being a die-hard trucker, most of us can understand why you wouldn't classify the Sport Trac and its competitors as trucks. Welcome to the new millenium old timer.

On with the topics this TRUCK townhall was really intended for...
  • lrodlrod Member Posts: 3
    Picked up 2001 White Explorer Sport with grey interior(not the Sport Trac).

Traded in my '96 (69k miles; 160 hp engine) for same equipped 2001.

Been following comments and wanted to thank you by providing these random items:
    1. Ordered 3/8; built 3/28 (est); drove it away 4/28.

2. Has 2 wheel drive with performance axle (never had any trans problems with same axle in '96). Recommend this option to those considering it. Never missed not having 4x4. I do not tow nor go on unpaved surfaces.

3. Other options in truck: Convenience and Sport options.

4. Had ASC power sunroof (same as in '96) installed before I took delivery. Never leaked in the '96. Cost less than $1k and was not forced to take the cloth option.

5. Standard captain chairs are better than the '96. Firmer cushion. Did not want the leather seats (too cold in winter; maintenance upkeep).

6. Engine is 50hp (est) more than original so I am delighted with the giddy-up.

7. Ride is much better. Not as 'truck like'. Change in rear spring/shocks reduce the sway and gives less 'shake' going over rr tacks.

8. Lame feature --- the 'soft pouch' under the armrests. But refused to pay $900 (est) for the cloth option w/ full console. I discovered aftermarket consoles from Steel that are around $100. Will order and retrofit.

I am not a 'mechanic' type of buyer. If anyone spots technical errors, all I can say is I did my best to share my purchase of the Explorer.

Got my deal at Sheehy Ford, Gaithersburg. Paid less than 2% over invoice (I traded the '96 to them and got a very fair value). Very good people to work with (got the 1st one there)Jim Fitzpatrick and Craig are the sales managers.
    2Drive,

How do you like your Quad Cab? Why did you choose it instead of the Sport Trac?

I was seriously considering a Quad Cab until I test drove one Then there was the pricing of options available on it. Everything in it is an option. The Dakota's strong points are the V8 availability and a slightly larger bed.

By comparison, I thought the Sport Trac's ride was smoother, even with the 4.10 axle ratio. As far as bed size, I would've preferred a slightly larger bed, but the Sport Trac's bed suits me fine. So far, I've used it to carry my bike, and move some small to medium size furniture for friends. Those straps came in very handy. I'm moving in a short while, and can put most of my stuff in it. The back seat is nice for the things that need sheltering.

All around, it's a great little truck, or whatever some people want to call it. I'm ready to take it off-road to a hot spring close by.
  • zack1000zack1000 Member Posts: 84
    lrod---

Please give me some more information on the after market console that you found from "Steel" to replace that soft bag.

Do they have a website?

Are they made to fit the place where the soft pouch goes?

Thanks in advance
  • lrodlrod Member Posts: 3
    Got to the website for Truck Stuff USA via Edmonds aftermarket hyperlink.

The HTML page is at:
    http://store.yahoo.com/truckstuffusa

Problem:
    Was considering the STE396XX $114.99
    I just remeasured width between seats; this item is too wide by 1/2 to 1 ".

I suggest going with the lame soft pouch and see how it works out. I don't keep much in there; will store CDs is a tray (I bought after delivery)under the seat.

Looks like a difficult task to extract the Factory console. I would not buy aftermarket console unless you really knew how to install or have a buddy that can do it.
  • rontrollrontroll Member Posts: 4
    I spent some time looking and driving the quad cab too. I was about ready to buy one when our Ford dealer put a sport trac on his showroom floor. I about lost my mind when I saw it. I never went back to Dodge. I was also impressed to see all the sport trac's standard equipment. With the Dodge EVERYTHING seemed to cost more money. I've had my ST for about a week now. I love it. I have people ask me about it all the time. For all of you who have yours ordered,hang in there. It will be well worth the wait. (Easy for me to say with mine in the garage!)
  • wefishwefish Member Posts: 1
    I'm deliberating purchasing the ST. I have encountered a dilemma in that the ST doesn't have a CD/Cassette system option. I don't plan to burn new CD's just because my vehicle won't play my favorite tapes. Also, I listen to many speaking tapes, which aren't available on CD. What's up with Ford's oversight? Any suggestions for handling this problem? I don't want to take up a lot of room with add-on equipment.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    I'm leaning toward the Dodge QC. I like the V8 and the 5 speed you can get in the QC, plus the larger bed. I'll be towing a moderately sized trailer with a full load in the truck, too, and although the V6 in the ST is a proven engine, it seems a bit too small for my set up, especially in the mountains.

Reliability, however, is somewhat of a question mark with Dodge, which is why I am having a bit of a hard time actually taking the plunge.

In any case, the ST does seem like a very nice truck/suv, whatever. Lots of thoughtful design touches.
  • goosemystergoosemyster Member Posts: 9
    Picked my st up last evening and put 100 miles on it and there could be nothing built any better!!!
    the only thing that i see ford could have spent more time on is the velcro holding in that console. You would think maybe some strong snaps would have worked better.but anyway . who is going to be carring that around anyway...Well talk to you guys latter I'm going cruising...bye
  • rjkunklerjkunkle Member Posts: 74
    My ST is due in this week of 5/7. I ordered it on 3/16/00, I was told it was built on 4/18/00. I already have the VIN and can't wait for it to show up. I have a tubular rear Hidden Hitch from bageco.com, Body color Bugflector II from AutoVentshade, Autoventshade Ventshades, Autoventshade sunflector for the rear window( I have heared of a problem that rain runs in when you first move car, water runs off roof in window), K&N Air Fliter, BullDogSecurity.com RS302 Autostarter with Pats Module( Allows autostart to run on vehhicles with serilock keys), I am looking for a sportsman grillGuard from Westinautomotive.com. They said they have item designed for the sport trac that will be released in Mid to late June. I also have a lighted Ford Emblem for the grill waiting in my basement. I have spoken to GT Styling and they have smoke, clear, or carbon fiber headlight covers for the ST.

What Accessories does everyone have or thinking of getting for their ST.

Thanks in Advance
    I have a Praire Tan ST with every option, but 4WD, skid plates, and block heater. I even ordered the payload package. I ordered the tonneau on a separate order. I got the ST at $500 over invoice plus a $400 college grad credit = $100 over invoice.
  • jcaustinjcaustin Member Posts: 22
    Sounds terrific. Where did you get the accesories?
    I had not heard about the rain problem and the back window before. Post or email a picture of your ST when you get it, maybe we can start an e-group discussion group.
  • tl565tl565 Member Posts: 78
    wefish - I'm sure you can trade a CD sound system for a cassette-only unit from a Ranger owner. They are the same size. Ford also sells different audio systems as an aftermarket accessory.

Personally I am glad Ford chose to put a CD system in and not a cassette. I do not own any cassettes and have not for about 10 years but I understand there are a few uses out there still for cassettes.
  • litowerlitower Member Posts: 5
    I have heard that the Boston Acoustics Sound System isn't available until later this year. Does anyone know when it should become available? Also, i have yet to order a ST and seeing how long it is taking to receive it, would it be smarter to order it now and put in an aftermarket premium sound system or wait and order with the Boston Acoustics system. Thanks for your advice.
  • gourguesgourgues Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know the size of the speakers that are in the ST? I thought that they were 6x9, but the grill covers appear to be round. I have my red ST on order, and I was looking at aftermarket speakers and receivers for the vehicle when it comes in. Also, does anyone have any ideas on where a bass tube could be installed? I am looking for a little "thump" with the new system, but noticed that there is no room behind the rear seat, unless you do something in the storage box. I figure that I can mount an amp under one of the front seats, but there is no room under the rear seat when it is folded forward.

Thanks for the info. I enjoy reading what everyone has to say about their ST.
    I'm thinking of a Borla exhaust system and also the Ford tonneau cover once it is available.

Ordered mine on 3/22, and still not scheduled. It should be scheduled this week.
    litower - is the Boston acoustics system a future factory option? What does it include?
  • dolphins66dolphins66 Member Posts: 78
    Keep us posted as to the day you pick up your new ST. Just curious how long it will take since the build date on our ST will be tomorrow AND we were told delivery would be about the 22nd. I'm not counting on that, however. I'm thinking it will take longer. Who knows!
    How many weeks were between the build date of your ST and the delivery date (or day you were finally able to pick it up)?
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    Sutruck:

I do like the front end styling of the ST, the interior dash and doors, and the rear window and composite bed features.

But I wanted a truck that I could put up against the other work trucks out here (i.e. farmers and contractors). Therefore, I needed a 4X4 with a V8, a stick shift, and a bed long enough to take a camper.

I seriously considered the F150, but it did not offer any real advantages over the QC for the additional width. The bed lengths/widths were the same and the cabin leg room, head room, door widths, etc, were the same. But, I could not get a stick shift in the F150, and I preferred the way the back seats folded up for cargo in the Dakota.

The final decision to go with the Dakota came down to my previous experience with the durability and reliability of the Dodge 2.2L stick shift van that I bought 16 years ago. I have put 392,000 miles on it's original engine, clutch and transmission with absolutely no repairs.

To date, I have just over 1,000 miles on the QC; and I really like the smooth, quiet ride, quick handling and roomy cabin. This vehicle, somehow, just doesn't feel like a real truck!
  • jsullyjsully Member Posts: 15
    The Boston Acoustics speaker system will be available in the 4th quarter. It has 6 speakers, a sub woofer and a larger amp. It looks like the sub woofer will take up one of the storage areas behind the back seat. If it like the tonneau cover we won't see it until next year.
    jsully,

You make a good point comparing the Boston Acoustics availability to the tonneau cover. The current stereo in the ST is pretty good, but if I wanted something better, I'd go to a stereo shop. Unlike the tonneau cover, you can get something good right now. Do you really want to wait 9 month to a year for another stereo?
    2drive,

That's great that you put that many miles on your dodge van. I've had Airport Shuttle drivers who've also put several hundred thousand miles on their Dodge without any problems. I hope you have a similar experience with the QC.

I can totally relate to you about the our trucks not feeling like 'traditional trucks'. But hey, that's a good thing. That's how much better the ride is. Plus, the presence of a true back seat takes away from the truck feel. For me, the ST is all the truck I need. I'm intimidated by the larger trucks, and have little or no use for such large Behemoths.

I'm approached regularly by avid truckers who like the ST looks, but think it's not practical. This is from people who rarely make use of their truck beds. They just have them so they can grunt as they drive down the street. Good judgement guys! For people such as myself, the Sport Trac is extremely practical. I can carry my recreational gear (i.e. bike, camping gear, rafting gear, etc.), and I can have 3 comfortably seated passengers. I do both of these often. Despite what I hear from the avid truckers, I don't regret buying the ST. It's one of the best decisions I've made, and I intend on keeping it for a long time. It's a great Sport Utility Truck.
  • rb125rb125 Member Posts: 28
    I order and installed from Pep Boys Automotive Supercenters a Ventvisor for the side windows, Sunflector for the rear window and the Bugflector II (you can get Bugflector for $10 less). Less $$ than Ford wants and fits like a glove. Go to http://www.ventshade.com/ for part numbers.
  • ford1960feford1960fe Member Posts: 7
    Is there anyone out there who is disappointed with their ST? Especially those who may have downsized from a larger vehicle such as an F-150?
    I've looked the ST over several times and am leaning towards it. One thing I didn't like was that you only had two choices for an open rear window, either just press the button for the inch or so down, or completely down. I would have preferred if you can stop it at any location.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    Don't own one so I can't answer you question about being disappointed with the ST.

However, I do remember earlier posts indicating that you can partially open the back window. Do a search through prior posts.
    The rear window can be opened any amount. If you push the button it Vents 2". Push it again it will express down. If you twist and release, it will express down or express up depending on direction of twist. Twist and hold the button it will stop when you let go. If it dosn't stop just give it a twist in the opposite direction to cancel the express movement.
    Guys,

The rear window either comes down 2 inches or all the way down. All the advertisements say that, and so does the owner's manual. Plus, I've tried it. If you twist the knob to have the window go all the way down, then twist it in the opposite direction, the window will remain stationary for a split second before it goes all the way up.

If one of you has a ST, and experienced otherwise, let us know. It might be something to bring to the dealer's attention.
  • beard1beard1 Member Posts: 15
    i ordered my sport trac 4 x 4 on 5/2... build date is 5/29 to 6/5. anyone know what typical time to dealer is after you have a build date?
  • fordnutfordnut Member Posts: 80
    A month or more ago I thought I saw a ST with rear
    disc brakes? The spec sheet says they are standard, but Ford says you can't order them. Does anyone have a ST with rear discs?? I would appreciate help with this since I want to order one in the next two months
  • lasveganlasvegan Member Posts: 53
    Hey guys what happened to jimsteele43569. He had a lot of input to the production of the tonneau top. Interesting all his messages are removed from this post. Where did you go Mr. Steele? I was hoping for more update information about the top.
  • reneau1reneau1 Member Posts: 6
    fordnut
    I looked at an ST with 4 wheel disc brakes and the Ford web site says they come with 4-disc. I assumed that they all came that way so I did not even bother looking when I bought my ST. Behold my surprise when I got home and was taking a close look at everything and I got drums on the the rear. I know there are some out there your just going to have to look for them.
  • tigerskintigerskin Member Posts: 10
    I've seen quite a few Sport Tracs on the road...I really like it...However, i'd have to modify the suspension cuz I do dangerous things. It kind of gives me a notion to go completely aftermarket and make it look like this:

http://www.f150online.com/gallery/himalaya.html

Anyone knows on where I can get the items to make it looks similar?
  • zack1000zack1000 Member Posts: 84
    I have drum brakes on my ST. I didn't notice that the Ford Web Site says 4 wheel disc brakes are standard until you pointed it out.

I would've guessed that was a misprint on the web site because everything else I've read on the ST has said that it only has front discs. But that wouldn't explain the sightings of rear disc brakes.

Odd.
    Dude, this thing is making me drool. I love my ST, but this other thing looks it's ready for a Mars expedition. Check out this link:

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevytrucks/chevytrucks.html

Click on the Avalanche. What a monster!!
    Here's the GM USA shortcut on the Avalanche. WOW!!!

http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/index_flash.htm
  • jab1964jab1964 Member Posts: 21
    I ordered my ST on April 20 and am waiting for a build date. I have been reading the explorer board and the problems associated with the SOHC engine. the diesel sounding and knocking. Isn't anyone concerned about that problem at all? I am starting to consider the supercrew. does anyone have anything to say on this problem???
  • tigerskintigerskin Member Posts: 10
    Yeah, I saw the avalanche, too. That is indeed on my list. Early 2001, based off of the silverado/suburban. Pricing? Probably in between the two (early $30K's).
    The Midgate option is perhaps the best thing.....Definetely love the looks.

The engine thing is a concern to me, too. I looked at the supercrew as well. I like it, but it is far toooo long for me. When it comes to playing in the dirt, you have to have a shorter truck/wheelbase. (Avalanche, according to Chevy, is about 2 ft. shorter...)
  • dep7dep7 Member Posts: 12
    I am still waiting for a build date!!!!! it's been 7wks....my enthusiasum is fading....how are all thses people getting theirs so quickly? I was told that I haave a priority code of 10...the dealer said that good but who knows....
    I ordered one some time ago and found out that it was going to take a while and on the other hand our salesman we were dealing wasn't truthful with use. So I found a dealer that would dealer trade one of his st for one like we wanted. He got one in and then turned around and found another dealer that had one like we wanted and traded st for st..From the time the deal took place it was two weeks.. We are so pleased with it..we got 600 miles on it. We stared with 39 miles on it.. I would purchase anything but explores from here on out....
    I wouldn't purchace anything but a st now!!!!!
  • mikeysmommikeysmom Member Posts: 18
    We got tired of waiting for a build date, so our dealer located one that we wanted, the color is different Deep Wedgewood Blue instead of Island Blue but none the less we LOVE IT anyway. It took only 2 days to get it after our dealer located one. It had 200 miles on it from the drive from where it came from. We still got $200.00 less than dealer invoice. My husband and I CAN'T wait for the weekend to start so we can really start having fun with it. Our kids like it too. Let the fun begin!!!
  • mdemarcomdemarco Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone with a leaking moon roof had the problem continue? I have had my ST back 2 times already, and it is still leaking. It will go back for the 3rd visit this Monday. I love the truck, but this is silly! The first time it was a disconnected drain tube, the second time they replaced the entire moon roof track. Now what can they replace?
  • deciding2deciding2 Member Posts: 24
    well, deciding2--Decided. I ordered my ST yesturday. I learned a lot from you all--so thanks. I was told I would receive my ST in 6 to 8 weeks. Had to put a $500.00 deposit and when I brought my check by--a different salesman asked what I ordered I said ST--he said "what color" I said "dark wedgewood" He said "good". He asked if it was 4x4--I said "no" he said "good" and that I would get it closer to 4 weeks, that getting the 4x4 was tough. They assured me they would not sell it when it hit the lot and that ordered ST's had priority. There was one on the lot hidden in the back--the dude that ordered it was having trouble getting financing--but they were holding it for him. I was told they would call me with the VIN number in about 2 weeks. Thanks again for all the help.
  • deciding2deciding2 Member Posts: 24
    ERROR---He said closer to 6 weeks...Sorry for the typing. Also I got the sports and convenience group and cargo cage. No MOON roof.
  • fordnutfordnut Member Posts: 80
    Anyone out there have a ST with 4.10 rear gears and limited-slip and the 4.0 SOHC engine? What I would like to know is what rpm is the motor turning at 70mph? I can't find a ST locally equipped that way, so I can't check for myself. Also, has anyone noticed much wind noise on the highway with a ST? I have a '94 Ranger and it could be quieter.
  • ford1960feford1960fe Member Posts: 7
    We broke down and traded the 97 F-150 XLT Supercab 4 X 4 in on a Sport Trac. Harvest Gold, moonroof, Premium Sport Group, Cloth Comfort Group, Convienience Group, 4 X 4. Got a good deal, $1600 less than other dealers in my area (NE Pa), and he threw in the cargo cage and mudflaps. Also getting the skid plates at invoice
    and if I want the box cover, same. The more we looked at it the more we liked it and even though we're used to having the bigger F-150 for the occasionaly hauling of home fix-it stuff and branches and leaves, we decided that if necessary, we could get an older beater pickup.
    We lucked out a little with this one because we didn't want leather and it seems that most of the STs that came thru locally had the leather option.
    Except for a couple of black ones without a moonroof. My previous F-150 was black, not anymore for a daily driver. We also didn't want to wait for 6/8/12 weeks for ordering one. My wife likes the the ST better than the F-150 supercab, not intimidated by it's size.
    After reading the posts on the rear window, I worked it several times and it's either down two inches or down all the way. The dealer and I couldn't get it to stop at any position as some of the posts indicated. And we played with it for a while. A point of concern? Maybe a Ford engineer or rep reading this can let us know how it's supposed to work. I would have liked to get an accessories brochure/catalog to look over the other little things available for the ST,but the dealer didn't have one. I had called Ford some weeks ago for one, they said 7-10 days but that never happened. We'll be picking up the ST next week, just in time to get used to it and drive it down to the Ford Nationals at Carlisle, Pa. We'll see how this vehicle goes, I'll post any problems...mike
    Ordered on 3/17....build date of 5/29. I wonder if they work on Memorial Day?
    Has anyone heard any new news about Tonneau cover availability??? Has Ford stopped putting 4 wheel disc brakes on the ST? Do 4 wheel disc only come on 4WD ... or 2 WD?
  • dep7dep7 Member Posts: 12
    does anyone know how often ford releases build dates...IE--once a week --once a month-?????
    let me know!!!!!!and can someone tell me if priority code of 10 is good or not...
    thanks
    I ordered on 3/22 and just received my build date of 5/29-6/5 this week. My priority number was only 33. My dealer had huge demand for the ST so my priority number was not very good.

Delivery time from the factory depends on your geographic location. The factory is in Kentucky.
    Last week my dealer gave me the build date for our ST of 5/8-5/15 and the Vin #. We ordered back on February 28th. I called Ford yesterday and now they're telling me that they don't have ANY status on the vehicle. What's up with that? I told her that was ironic because two weeks prior and further back, they had the status. She told me that all manufacturers are experiencing delays, "I'm sorry...blah, blah, blah." She claims that the build dates may or may not include our vehicle and to stay in touch with our dealer b/c they will have the most up-to-date information.
    GEEZ! Oh well, I guess it gets here when it gets here. It would be nice to get a huge thank you from Ford, however, for the inconvenience of having us wait so long.
This discussion has been closed.