Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Real World MPG

Comments

• vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    If you want a good read on EPA figures vs real-world results, go to consumer reports.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cu-press-room/pressroom/eng0510fue.htm?result- PageIndex=1&resultIndex=2&searchTerm=EPA%20Rating

Vince
  • portly_gnomeportly_gnome Member Posts: 15
    The stretch of road is I-74 from Davenport, IA to Danville, IL. Zero hills and certainly no mountains. The temp here has been 50-70 degrees, so no heat or air conditioning. There's no stopping and starting or corners involved, except for the 3 miles from my house to the interstate there are maybe 6 lights, and off the interstate to the gas station by my hotel where there are no lights or stop signs. Perfectly ideal conditions, and the trip before last I got 16.1 mpg. Which was DOWN from the 19mpg the trip before. After that I took it to the dealer and they had it for FOUR days, whereupon they told me there was nothing wrong with it, and that it should get better over time. Whuh? The Toyota FJ Cruiser I was looking at probably gets better mpg that this! And it had the AUX port I wanted. ;)

The salesman also regaled me stories of customers who were discovering that the CX-7 got much better mpg than on the sticker, around 22/29mpg. Sounded great to me! Oh well, I guess there's one of me born every minute.
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    In my efforts to achieve a higher MPG, I lost over 20 lbs since acquiring my CX-7. However, it seem not to have made any difference. As a scientific test, I will carry the equal of that lost weight in bag to see if there is indeed a difference, all things being equal. Most recent measurement is 12.75 gls. after driving 257 miles = 20.15mpg. 220 miles parkway driving 60 -65 mph, balance NYC driving. Seems to be creeping up.

The following is from a Federal Gov't web sight.

Driving More Efficiently

Drive Sensibly

cartoon of car Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. It can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town. Sensible driving is also safer for you and others, so you may save more than gas money.
    Fuel Economy Benefit:
    5-33%
    Equivalent Gasoline Savings:
    $0.12-$0.76/gallon

Observe the Speed Limit

Graph showing MPG VS speed MPG decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph While each vehicle reaches its optimal fuel economy at a different speed (or range of speeds), gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph.

As a rule of thumb, you can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.20 per gallon for gas.

Observing the speed limit is also safer.
    Fuel Economy Benefit:
    7-23%
    $0.16-$0.53/gallon

Remove Excess Weight

Avoid keeping unnecessary items in your vehicle, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2%. The reduction is based on the percentage of extra weight relative to the vehicle's weight and affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones.
    Fuel Economy Benefit:
    1-2%/100 lbs
    $0.02-$0.05/gallon

Avoid Excessive Idling

Idling gets 0 miles per gallon. Cars with larger engines typically waste more gas at idle than do cars with smaller engines.

Use Cruise Control

Using cruise control on the highway helps you maintain a constant speed and, in most cases, will save gas.

Use Overdrive Gears

When you use overdrive gearing, your car's engine speed goes down. This saves gas and reduces engine wear.

Note: Cost savings are based on an assumed fuel price of $2.31/gallon.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Just purchased an AWD Cx-7 last week, got 17/mpg on the first tankful. Check engine light came on, waiting for the dealer to get in a new gas cap. MSRP sticker says 18/24, so will be checking the mileage closely as the vehicle puts on miles. I suspect that less use of the manual shifter will improve gas mileage to some degree. Vehicle is fun to drive, has great pickup, brakes, handling and cornering. I believe it is more of a performance SUV than all the other models test driven including Hyundai,Toyota rav-4--(even with bigger engine, not near as sporty as the mazda), Acura RDX, Dodge caliber,and Nissan Murano. Also wanted the HID headlights, only Acura and Murano had available.Liked the Murano interior, could not get used to the CVT transmission! Interior space could be a little larger, otherwise certainly enjoy driving the CX-7.
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    I thought that you could get the HID headlights on the AWD Grand Touring model with the technology package. At least, when I configure online, it shows it as available. I don't know if it's just with that package or standard on the Grand Touring, but I'm 99% sure that it's available.
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    I thought that you could get the HID headlights on the AWD Grand Touring model with the technology package

Yes, that's what I have.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    The HID's are standard on all GT's!
    I have the FWD and I sometimes wish I would have gotten the AWD, but in Texas, we don't get enough snow!
    At least not Houston... ;)
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    "The HID's are standard on all GT's!"

Corroborated.

FWIW, you Houston people have enough flooding to warrant AWD, probably... :D
    I stand corrected. Chose the MAzda in part because it DID have the Xenon lights, which are amazingly far superior to halogen styles.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    Too bad the CX doesn't have a periscope and oxygen system ala Speed Racer's Mark 5. ;)
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    I saw the CX7 when I was dropping off my car for servicing. It's a handsome vehicle, superb lines, interior straight from a Miata in many ways. It's the one SUV I'd consider, besides the RAV4. However, I was skeptical about its mileage, esp. given CarandDriver's poor mileage (15-16mpg), and the testimonials here......I dunno, I thought turbos gave one the best of both worlds--4cyl economy when the turbo isn't "spooled", and 8cyl power when it is. But at a minimum, I'd want at least 19mpg consistently, regardless of conditions, and at least 26mpg hwy at all times. (Heck, even an Escalade can get 22mpg hwy).......I'm reading here of owners delicately babying their CX7s for a precious single mpg. That's just not fair to them. (The fact that the turbo needs premium is an additional insult.) The 268hp 6cyl that Toyota uses in many of its vehicles is a marvel of efficiency; that's the type of engine that belongs in the CX7.......Maybe Mazda should've waited for the new Ford 3.5L (which I understand will be in the CX9). But if the CX9 ends up more efficient than the CX7, then we have a problem!!
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    It sure does make a difference. I drive a Protegé and it normally gets 25mpg city. The past few days I had to drive 3 miles in bumper-to-bumper traffic sitting at traffic lights waiting through three or four light changes before I could move forward. Watched my fuel guage drop 1.5 gallons in 20 minutes. I estimate the mileage as 3mpg round trip. Everything makes a difference including altitude, temperature, wind, traffic, lights, and how you drive.

You won't know the true MPG until you get at least 5K on your CX-7.

fowler3
  • new2zoomnew2zoom Member Posts: 1
    first tank=22.4
    normal LA driving
    AWD or just FWD?
    "normal LA driving..."

Now THAT'S an oxymoron if I'ver heard one... :)
  • 022540022540 Member Posts: 31
    Nov. 5th was our 1st month annivesary. Todate we have just over 2100 miiles. Last month during our 2nd week of ownership
    we took the CX-7 all over AR. and the ozarks. Much to my surprise our whole trip of 1596 miles used only 63 gals of gas. We had a total average of 25mpg.
    Tonight, I filled up the CX-7 and it made 18.2mpg is a very congested small city of 200,000.
    The car is a blast to drive, very sporty in handling and very spacious for a crossover. We researched for two months and had several selections(choices) and the biggest bang for the buck
    was the CX-7. We got the front wheel drive because we already have a 2006 RTL/SR Honda Ridgeline and that is our heavy duty touring vehicle.
    I worked for some time to get my milage up on the Honda Truck and we now get 14.5 in town and 22.8-23-6mpg highway.
    I check my tires bi-weekly, run synthetic oil in the engine
    and keep my speed within the speed limits most of the time!
  • cx7rediccx7redic Member Posts: 18
    My tank will only fill to under 16 gallons, the specs say its an 18g tank. The majority of my driving is city, because i work and commute in more urban setting. My gas mileage is hovering around 16/17. My commute is short quick trips, usually 5-15 miles during the work day, about 75% of the time with the AC on. To me- given the engine, I will take that MPG cuz I dont think its that bad for the type of driving I do. However, i did expect it to be a LITTLE better than that.

To the poster who said we should have gotten a FORD engine..r u nuts? Ill take a MAzda engineered in JApan motor an yday before a Ford engine winds up under my hood.
    Update: im doing actually close to 20mpg. 19.6 was my avg last tank which is above their window sticker quote for city driving ! :)
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    In an August article, Consumerguide ranked the CX7 as a "fuel economy champ", 21.4mpg overall. Given its performance and styling, I can live with that figure! :shades:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    Consumerguide ranked the CX7 as a "fuel economy champ", 21.4mpg overall

of what category??

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    Might be more helpful if everyone answered in a similar format...

So answer this:

Model you have: __ AWD / __ FWD?

City/Hwy driving: _____% / _____%

Driving: __ Lead Foot / __ Average / __ Grandma

MPG you're getting: _____

Average gas cost per week: ______
    Model you have: __X AWD / __ FWD?

City/Hwy driving: _70____% / __30___%

Driving: __ Lead Foot / _X_ Average / __ Grandma

MPG you're getting: __20___

Average gas cost per week: ____41__

Hope this helps.
    AWD, 90% stop/go, lead foot driving style, last fill up achieved 18.5/mpg on under inflated tires. Filled tires to 37 psi, will report back next MPG reading.
    Filled tires to 37 psi

This is a bit off-topic for this thread, perhaps, but 2 weeks ago, my tire pressure warning light went off. Upon checking the manual, I found that the tires should be inflated to only 32 psi. This was confirmed a few days later when I took the car to the dealer (to have a wind deflector installed); I asked the technician about the psi, and he confirmed that 32 was the optimal number (I didn't mention that my warning light had engaged, just simply asked out of curiousity). Also, the manual mentioned that overinflating the tires can also be dangerous.
    The 18" tires have a warning stamped on the side, "not to exceed 44 psi." My Mazda dealer recommends 35 psi as an allround good pressure. I like a bit stiffer ride, and of course the best MPG, so 37 psi works for me, but it isn't near the overinflation danger zone.
    18.51 mpg city driving w/ 2000 miles on the vehicle, AWD. Using 91 premium fuel.
  • ozharrierozharrier Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in a new SUV and especially the CX7/Murano/Santa Fe and have taken great interest in evaluating the vehicles on a number of criteria including gas mileage. The Edmund's forums have been a great source of real world information.

However, the ongoing debate of EPA numbers versus real ones seems to be a bit misplaced. The EPA numbers are based on specific driving criteria - which we may or not agree with. In their Hwy measures for instance the vehicle never comes to a full stop, or idles and maintains an average of 48 mph and NEVER goes over 60 mph.

Now, most of the posts I read here discuss speeds of 65-80 mph which we all know will be lower than that achieved at 60 - there is a strong correlation. And most of us probably do accelerate onto and brake off of freeway ramps and come to complete stops even in our highway driving, so this has a significant effect too (just reset your gauge before accelerating onto the hwy and see how that messes with the average!).

So I guess I am not so hung up on the EPA estimates (and they clearly say that is what they are and try to apply correction factors) but really rely on folks contributing here especially when they can specify their driving styles and speeds. I believe that averaging these out is probably always going to be a better way to go - so thanks for the contributions! :)

By the way, the methodology used by the EPA/DOE is found here:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Cheers
  • portly_gnomeportly_gnome Member Posts: 15
    So you know, I'm at at 5900 miles on my CX-7, and I've tracked every fill-up. I work at home as well as an office. This office is 221 miles from door to door. The real-world conditions are ideal. It's between Iowa and Illinois and almost perfectly flat. The weather had been ideal (until this storm yesterday went from 70 degrees to 19 overnight)and occasionally I crack a window. The MPG the last 4 fill-ups have all been right at about 20.1 mpg. This includes 2.1 miles from my house to the interstate and 1.8 miles from the interstate to my office. My speed probably averaged about 75mph non-stop in a 65mph zone.

I've had 2 occasions when all of my miles were city miles and both were at 17.1 mpg. I never go more that 7-8 mph over the posted limits in town. Most in my area are 35 mph.

Thus, in an ideal real world situation, MY CX-7 gets:

17.1 MPG City

20.1 MPG Highway

That being said, while I wish the mileage was better and with all the other issues I've had with the CX-7, I still love it. Looks good, handles very well, great zoom zoom with the Turbo 4.

Hope this helps.
    I'm on my first tank of gas with the car (FWD model) and I can only estimate right now... but I will be keeping accurate track over the next few months.

So far, based on my being at the 1/2 way point on the gauge and having driven 151 miles, I'm getting about 16mpg (purely around-town driving). I expect that to get better once I'm out of the break-in period.
    Noticed on my Cx-7 that keeping the "auto" light on the climate control really uses the fuel. Even though it is cold here in St. Paul, Mn. and the air is not engaged, the compressor must still turn on with the press of the auto button (and the green light comes on). Just using the manual fan control will result in better gas mileage.

Have 2000+ plus miles and average 18 mpg in town only. Haven't driven any serious country miles like you, but the vehicle should be doing better than 20.1 mpg. I set the tires at 37 psi and usually drive in the manual mode, it keeps the rpms somewhat lower than in "D" much of the time.

Also, you didn't mention if the air was running, of course that is a huge issue in determining mpg averages.
  • 022540022540 Member Posts: 31
    Model= GT FWD

City/Hwy Driving 60% 40%

Driving: Average

MGP..............In town 16-19mpg Hwy= 24-25mpg
  • yellowozzieyellowozzie Member Posts: 13
    I've been wondering about the effects of keeping the heating/cooling system on "auto". Is it true that the a/c compressor kicks in whenever the light is on, even if cooling is not required? If so, I'm going to stop using the automatic system, at least in the winter.
    Yes I tracked the gas mileage and got 15.61 leaving the "auto" light on, 18.5 with just the fan running. (all city driving)When idling, you can hear the compressor kick in when turning the auto light on. Even w/o the air on, the compressor is running and using extra fuel in the auto mode. Incidently, the owner's book does say to run the auto mode 10 minutes a month to keep the bearings lubricated in the compressor. Won't be hard to remember to do in the summer months, of course.
    Thanks! When I get in the car after work today, the "auto" light is going off. I have not been pleased with my mileage thus far; hopefully this will help.
    Also keep in mind that the "defrost" mode also automatically turns on A/C. And while the manual is vague about this, it APPEARS to be that whenever the vents are set to defrost, defrost + feet, or just feet, the A/C will be used, even though the A/C light will be OFF.
    I would agree. Turning on the "DEFROST" also runs the compressor. No need to run the "auto" button just to lubricate the bearings.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Keep in mind that a function of the climate control is to control the humidity levels in the cabin. Without AC, and under the right conditions, the humidity can build to the point where the windows fog. We've all seen that. As an example, on cold mornings, you can see your breath vapor. Using the AC to warm the air, prevents all of that.

That's why the climate control defaults to the defrost position on cold mornings.

Also, AC technology has gotten to the point that MPG is only minimally affected by it's use. A slight drop in MPG is more than offset by the advantages of an automated, climate control.

Vince.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Once the outside temp drops below freezing, the A/C doesn't come on for defrosting because it can freeze the water condensing on the A/C compressor. If you have an A/C button, you should be able to use that to turn off the A/C even in the Auto mode. The auto mode will at least keep the temp constant and regulate the fan speed, but if you turn off the A/C while it's in Auto and the outside temp is too warm, then the blowing fan alone will never be able to allow the car to reach the temp you set, so you'll just have a loud blowing fan.
    There are more than two temps in the world... freezing and hot... LOL. Seriously, when it's 40 degrees out, there's no reason at all the air conditioning should EVER come on automatically.

There are places in the book that very clearly state you cannot turn the A/C off. For example, when it's set to defrost, defrost + feet or feet. The A/C will automatically be turned on even though the light is off -- that's what it says in the Owner's Manual.

I'll be tracking MPG with all different combo's of settings... maybe it is no big deal. It just seems silly to me to design a system that makes is impossible to turn A/C off.
    when it's 40 degrees out, there's no reason at all the air conditioning should EVER come on automatically

When it's 40deg, raining and humid, with the AC on in the defrost mode it will clear the windshield faster, so I think it's the same principle in the Auto mode of keeping the AC on to dry the air for comfort. But even in the defrost modes, the AC should not operate below freezing, and I think the car's computer also uses this point for turning off the AC in the Auto mode.
    So I lose an MPG or two because I live somewhere where it almost never gets below freezing... Not a bad tradeoff! :shades:
    But then you gain a MPG or two because you live someplace where it's not as cold because the cold weather can reduce your MPG because of worse driving conditions, deicing added to the gas, more idle time for warm-ups, etc. ;)
    Well, I just used a tank of gas on a trip with "auto" on and a/c off. My mileage was about the same as when I left the a/c on...only about 18 mpg with pretty much all highway driving.
    18 mpg for all highway is far below what I've heard from others doing all highway mileage.
  • offset_98offset_98 Member Posts: 31
    I've got almost 600 miles and on my first two fillups I've recorded 19.7 MPG (70% hwy in rush hour, 30% city) and 19.1 MPG (90% city, 10% Hwy). I've yet to take a nice long cruise although I think we might take the CX-7 to Phoenix next weekend from Vegas.
    Well my car is finally over 3k miles, and somethin miraculous has happened

I feel like the car is finalyl broken in -

My mileage after a long highway getaway has increased big time. I am coming close to 390 miles/full tank 70highway/30 city (16 gallons filled) I think people need to give this car a chance in terms of MPG, let it break in, and then see what happens
    Capacity on the fuel tank is 18.2 gallons, not 16.
    If you ever stop for gas and are able to put 18.2 gallons in your tank, you are really risking walking home sometime!

I think his point was that typically after the low-fuel light comes on and the gauge needle gets to "E" he is putting around 16 gallons in. Same story here.
    Don't doubt it for a second, but the capacity of the tank IS 18.2, not 16. I doubt you'll ever be putting 18 gallons in unless you're pushing it to the gas station, but it is an 18 gallon tank.
    The most I've been able to get in the tank is 16.44 gallons. Last fill up averaged 17.25/mpg with 90% in town driving. Window sticker says 18/24. Would be interesting to compare real time mpg numbers with the competition, such as RAV, Hyundai, Murano, Subaru, Acura RDX and Honda CRV.