Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Real World MPG

Comments

• walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    The CX-7 is class-leading in all respects, it seems, except one: gas mileage. Given its size, it should be getting 29mpg hwy easy, and a consistent 20mpg around town. That it requires premium fuel is another added indignity.

The larger CX-9 is getting similar mileage with its 3.5L V6. Perhaps Ford should've put a somewhat detuned version in the CX7.

Have turbos ever lived up to their promise? They require premium fuel and they slurp it like a toddler sucking down a cherry Icee. A turbo's mileage is also very sensitive to less-than-ideal environmental conditions.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Perhaps Ford should've put a somewhat detuned version in the CX7.

Perhaps if it was Ford's decision, they would have.
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    It WAS Ford's decision. Ford owns at least 30 percent of Mazda. Mazda (regrettably) can't make a move without Ford's blessing. The larger CX9 is essentially a rebadged Ford crossover. The CX7's mill is merely a turbocharged version of the Ford engine in the Fusion.
  • extennyextenny Member Posts: 18
    "The CX7's mill is merely a turbocharged version of the Ford engine in the Fusion".
    Are you sure about this? Sources please?
  • zoom49zoom49 Member Posts: 76
    Yes the Mazda CX-9 is similar to the new Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX. It is however larger in length and due to this larger size is the only one of the three with a third row seat.
    The CX-7 is all Mazda. Mazda developed 2.3l engine and a different transmission than the Ford Edge.
    As Mazda is considered the small car expert, Ford borrows a
    lot of engine and suspension from them.
    It is obvious however that Mazda keeps the best stuff for themselves.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Of course, I wish that my CX-7 did better than 19 mpg in town. However, what other 4,000 lb. AWD model crossover or SUV or wagon does 29 mpg on the hwy?
  • pjo1966pjo1966 Member Posts: 157
    That's the same mileage I get on my 2005 BMW 325i. Those are really good numbers for a crossover.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Walter, I think you need to do a bit more reading before you throw ideas around.

The 2.3 4cyl you refer is Mazda's design produced in Japan. Ford adopted this engine and produces it in Mexico for several of their vehicles. a big distinction though is that the turbo engine is a direct injection motor.

As for the CX-9 being a rebadged Ford crossover, let's look a little deeper. What is the Ford crossover based on? A Mazda6 (which is the basis for quite a few mid-size Ford vehicles). Yes, there is plenty of platform/drivetrain sharing going on with Ford and Mazda but there are some clear distinctions. Take a CX-9 and a MKX for a test drive and see if you can tell that they are same underpinnings. Also, fit 7 passengers in the MKX while you are at it.
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    "Mazda (regrettably) can't make a move without Ford's blessing"
    Were do you get this stuff from? It sounds very potent! :P
    Who is saving who? Go drive an Edge, then drive the 7 or the 9(read:4600 lb.w/3rd row!!)
  • outbackeddyoutbackeddy Member Posts: 7
    Given Fords recent reputation for engine & transmission problems, I would not have bought the CX7 with a ford engine. Well maybe if they'd tack on a 100,000 mile/10year 100% warranty + a loaner. JMO. Ed
    "Mazda not= Ford "
    " I would not have bought the CX7 with a ford engine."
    Why don't you make up your mind.
    Have 12,000 miles on an AWD GT-CX-7. No real complaints except it would have been nice to have more leg room in the back seat and of course the ultimate goal of better fuel mileage.

Averaging about 19 urban and maybe 21~23 on the road. Window sticker claimed 18 and 24, so the figures are close.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    If I'm correct, he's stating that the CX-7's engine is NOT a Ford engine. He would not have bought his CX-7 if it had a Ford engine. Which it doesn't. So, no mind-making-up necessary.
    Thank you. i was unclear? I would not have bought my CX7 if it had a Ford engine. Ford needs maybe 3 years to debug the 3.5 engine. IMO. Ed
    Sorry Ed, my fault, point is clear.
  • msimpxonmsimpxon Member Posts: 1
    Does the CX-7 have an electronic MPG readout, or are people calculating their MPG numbers using odometer readings and fuel fill-up amounts?

Thanks,
    M.S.
    No MPG readout, unless it's in the NAV/tech package. I don't have that package, so it's strictly fuel-ups/odometers for me. That's the more accurate way, anyway.

-c92
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Correct, the Tech package does not have a trip computer. IMHO, a curious shortcoming for an upscale vehicle. Gotta do it the old fashioned way...anyone got an abacus handy? :cry:

vince.
    Abacus? Heck, my MPG is so low I can figure out the math counting fingers. :P
  • johnny__rfjohnny__rf Member Posts: 83
    just went on a long highway trip (500 mile round trip) with my cx awd / tech. averaged 75 mph and did 21 mpg's
  • tommypistoltommypistol Member Posts: 1
    I have a CX-7 awd - constant 25 mpg - 100% hwy at 115-120 kph.
    STAY IN MANUAL - much easier to control boost.
    Auto - keeps switching between 5th and 6th gear
    Cruise - stays in 6th but the boost keeps coming on at slightest ascent.

Try it.

*city driving is 16-18mpg - love the turbo
    Just FYI, here is a NA 4 cyl.:
    #547 of 547 23.6 mpg with a/c on 2007 CRV 4WD by guru_g Sep 04, 2007 (12:30 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply
    I get around 25 mpg without airconditioning (a/c). I always use cruise control when I can and drive from 65-68 mph. total mileage=4100 miles. On one of the longer freeway trips (~200 miles) I got around 27 mpg on the freeway driving 75-80 mph with cruise control and a/c. The above is without any passengers in the car.

Enjoy the power :)
    CXT FWD T. 1,600 miles of Suburben driving. Average = 20.26 mpg. Hi 21.69 & low of 19.64. Car now has ~ 2,200 miles on it and I did not measure gas mileage for the first 600 miles. Not great but, expected for this large a vehicle with 244 hp. Ed
    Consumer reports has just weighed in on their comparison of MPG amongst various categories of vehicles.

I just received my '08 New Car Preview. CR had an article about fuel economy and how to use/interpret the EPA new figures as opposed to CRs real world tests.

On page 16 they listed Best & Worst in Fuel Economy - those cars they actually tested. In the Best column, under midsized SUV's, in 8th place appears CX-7. Yippee! :blush: With 18 overall MPG, City at 12 and highway at 25. The only other vehicle that made the list, that's routinely compared in these forums, is the RAV4 and Forrester, both fell under the "Small SUV" category.

Y'all can take comfort in that there are lots of other vehicles that did a whole lot worse! Now, don't ya'll feel better? :P

Vince.
    Just got back from a 700 mile dedicated long-distance freeway trip with an AWD cx-7 GT and did 24.50 mpg on mostly cruise control at about 69~70 mph. I have found that driving 75 mph + which is a breeze on the cx-7, brings it down to about 22 mpg.Driving 65 mph or less has actually brought 25 mpg or a little more.

Urban driving is bringing a fairly steady 19.5~20 mpg and shorter rural (non-stop) driving is also delivering about 22 mpg.

I once brought the speed up to 100 mph for a very short time and it ran quite smooth and quiet.
  • smokerzsmokerz Member Posts: 1
    driving for two weeks in Detroit city only and a trip from Detroit to Clarion, Pa interstate only: air 100% on with cruise control set at 72 mph on the interstate trip.

19.9 city 23.9 hwy
  • oldarmyoldarmy Member Posts: 27
    From what I read in one of the car magazines software changes in the 08 CX-7 allow Mazda to only "recommend" premium fuel rather than "require" it as the 07 model year does. My experience is if you use regular you will get less gas mileage. Also almost any car with a turbo that I know of requires premium fuel. Anyone with an 08 burning regular?
  • donlee2donlee2 Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at the 2007 CX-7 and love a lot about it, except for the premium gas requirement. Can anyone tell me if they use premium, upgrade, or regular gas - and their performance.
    Also - what are you REALLY averaging for mpg highway/city?

Trying to decide on the CX-7 or the Mitsu Outlander.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's election day! So once you've done your civic duty, why not stop in at our weekly Mazda chat to meet and greet CarSpace friends?

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    I use premium as required by Mazda in my 2007, and never considered doing otherwise, even on 700-mile freeway slogs.

I'd say my mileage is about 2 mpg off the EPA estimates for '07: 16 mpg around town (driving like I stole it) and 22 mpg on the freeway (a fully loaded vehicle).

-c92
    I now have 21K miles on my AWD CX-7 and the mpg's continue to be horrific. My daily commute is 50 miles roundtrip, half the commute is highway (70 mph) , half back roads with few stop lights / signs. My mpg's are consistently in the 15-16 mpg range which is far less than the Mazda EPA estimates. My driving style can be classified as spirited. Is anybody else experiencing similar dismal mpg's ??? I am currently in a 3 year lease and considering terminating the lease after 2 years.
    21,000 miles on a '07 cx-7 AWD getting 18 mpg city driving here in snowy Minnesota. Did slightly better in the warmer weather, maybe 19 to 19.5 city driving. Have received up to 24.5 mpg on a long hwy. trip averaging about 70 mph. Sticker advertises 18 city and 24 hwy.
    You sound surprised!! :surprise: Everyone on these forums KNOWS that the CX-7 is a gas-guzzler.

And anyone who is considering the CX-7 should anticipate dismal MPG.

As a point of reference, as everyone knows, if they care to search my posts, that I don't care about MPG. MPG wasn't a consideration in my purchase. :shades: Styling, performance, and features catch my eye. Bad MPG just comes with the package.

Vince.
    I wasn't expecting great mpg's, but 15-16 is less than I expected and with the price of premium fuel...........CHA CHING!!!
  • dmele426dmele426 Member Posts: 33
    ;) am using 87 octane fuel (regular gas) and my MPG is about 17 to 18 between highway and local roads in NYC.
    When I tried to use high octane 93, the mileage was lower about 14.5 MPG but I noticed the engine to be a lot smoother. Went to dealer in NYC and I told them what I noticed, they recomended to stick to 87 octane and that the mileage will improve. So far MPG in real world usage is ok, I wish it was better.
    I have owned my car for 6 weeks (2008 CX-7 AWD-GT) love turbo once it kicks in. However, MPG SUCKS!!!
  • technocracytechnocracy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 GT-AWD a few weeks ago. My initial mileage numbers have been promising. My commute daily is ~75mi round trip, and it is mixed driving roughly half highway and half secondary roads.

First tank was 18.4. the last two have been 20.7 and 21.4.

If past experience is any guide, the mileage should slowly improve until 5k miles or so (am at 1100 now) and be pretty stable from that point on.

I'm expecting to wind up with 23-25 the way things are going right now.

This summer I'll take a road trip with it and see what I get for pure highway driving.
  • spice15spice15 Member Posts: 1
    I've been tracking my mileage religiously since I purchased my CX-7 in July 2007 and have only ever used premium. 18 MPG is average for me. One road trip resulted in 27 MPG using an average speed of 70 MPH. That's the best I've ever gotten.

Not posting as a complaint, just a point of information to the group. May be a duplicate of previously posted information. I didn't read all the 338 previous posts.
  • tewks999tewks999 Member Posts: 6
    I just rolled 3,000 miles on my 2008 CX-7. For the first 1,000 miles my mileage fluctated quite a bit, hitting a high of about 21 mpg and a low closer to 16 mpg. I mix between highway and city driving.

After settling down, my mileage has consistently being about 19 mpg for the 2,000 miles, rarely fluctuating more than 1 mpg.

Looking back, I think the biggest factor I've experienced in my fuel effeciency is the speed I drive. Once I start averaging about 70 mpg, the effeciency would start dropping pretty quickly. In my opinion, going 80+ mph on the highway has appeared to hurt my fuel effeciency more than city driving.
  • 022540022540 Member Posts: 31
    Things are improving, the last all in town driving was 19.57mpg. This is above the 14-16mpg in the past. Have about 8,000 miles . Purchased the CX-7 Oct. 07
    Hwy driving has been 22-25mpg.
  • hondalegendhondalegend Member Posts: 12
    Hi, guys I just purchased CX-7 (Touring FWD with moonroof and bose, XM radio Wheel lock Splash guard and all weather mats)

I think I got kinda good deal (23K) 5000$ less than M.S.R.P

The reason why I choose CX-7 is good gas millage. yeah I know it sounds like wrong but it has good gas millage. How do I know before I got the CX-7?

According to consumerguis's real world fuel-Economy Champions in midsize SUV category u can easily find CX-7 in second place. not to mention that without hybrid
    it's first place!!!!!!!!! It's 2times better than worst champion in midsize SUV category

here's link http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/consumer-guides-real-world-fuel-econo- my-champions-cga.htm

I used to think to buy CR-V but since honda doesn't wanna give rebate to the customer. I changed my mind to buy CX-7 because It's bigger, stylish, fast and handling champion. (not to mention EPA Champion)

before the reason why I didn't consider CX-7 is MPG but as soon as problem is solved I purchased CX-7. I didnt get it but I can't wait!!!!!
  • hondalegendhondalegend Member Posts: 12
    Cool!!
    :lemon: for starters the car does not have a computer to measure the miles to empty on gas tank. How do i measure miles per gallon, what i do now isa i figure the tank holds 18.2 gallons of fuel. I ususally geta printout of the amount of fuel i purchase at gas station and deduct it from what is lefty in tank and everytime I refule i set the odometer to zero.
    am I doing this right>????
    does anyone have a better way to do this?
    reset your trip odometer every time you fill up, check your mileage and gas to fill the tank each fill up.....

225 miles since last fill up, took 12 gallons to fill up..

that way you can figure it out every fill up.
    i am burning regular gas as per my service tech from Long Island Grat Neck Mazda.
    Have not had problems, I just went on a 1200 mile trip for a week, and I was doing about 70 miles average and my fuel consumption on highway was 22 MPG.
    I tested premium gas on the first 2 weeks I own the car and I felt the smell of raw gas several times, i contacted the delaership and they were upset at me for using premium gas. Had something to do with the engine management system and the the software.
    [email protected]
  • irideacx7irideacx7 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased in Feb 08. 2500+ miles. Houston, TX area. Used consecutive tanks of 93 Octane and consecutive tanks of 89 Octane (R+M). Up to 10% Ethanol so Octane rating may actually be higher than stated. Overall averaging 22.16 MPG using spreadsheet. Low of 21.5 MPG and high of 22.99 MPG. Top up tank and stop on first click. 70/30 hwy/city. Does anyone have a scanguage ii to determine best economy/speed/gear on CX-7? Thanks
  • zoom_utezoom_ute Member Posts: 13
    This just seems like bad advice from the dealer. Your best economy on an engine tuned for 91+ is 91+.

Your computer has probably pulled boost, reduced timing advance, and added fuel enrichment in "self-defense" to keep from pinging..reducing power and economy. Now that it's broken in, I'd put premium back in it, it might take a tank or so worth of driving to "re-adapt" the stored table values up to where they should be.
  • 022540022540 Member Posts: 31
    Just got back from Northern AR. Spent 18 days up there. We have a 2007 GTFWD
    with 8,000 miles.
    The Total miles for the whole trip from SW Louisiana up to Northern AR. was 1835 miles.
    Total amount of gas used: 82.8 gallons
    over all gas milage for the trip was: 22.16mpg
    $3.93 per gallon average cost per gallon of gas.

We experienced a low of 18.59mpg in town up in the Ozarks.
    We experienced 26.36mpg, 26.41mpg and 25.9mpg on trip back home
    with mostly interstate and about 254 miles of two lane. Our speed was from
    55-60mph on two lane. Interstate speed was 69-72mph with cruise control.

Since my dealer changed the computer chip in the engine, it goes into 6th grear much easier. Passing 50-70mph is great, almost fantastic.
    It was a lot of fun to drive the CX-7 for 11.5 hours with several stops. We had two adults and lots and lots of stuff packed into the back with both seats down.

I did mix tanks of Premium with 89 octane and had no problems with drop in power or gas milage. Going up to AR we experienced 21-23mpg. In town driving in the mountains was 18.59mpg on one tank and 19.71mpg on the second tank.
    Going home was more down hill with beautiful weather and gas milage was over 26mpg on two tanks and 25.9mpg on the last tank.
    Driving the same model with the noteable difference of all wheel drive. Gas mileage has been very similar on the Interstate. Your 2-lane results at 55-60 mph could be slightly better, but noticed that if the speed stayed below 70 mph, the mpg number was much better than 70+. Very easy to drive at 85 or 90 mph, plenty of power at the higher speeds. Of course, the fuel penalty driving that fast also plays a considerable factor.
  • queenfanqueenfan Member Posts: 6
    I purchased Cat in December of 2007 with 9000 miles on her. I'm up to 15000 now.
    During the winter (I'm in MN) I was averaging 15 MPG. This was due to extreme cold, lots of snow (hence lots of AWD use) and never warming the car up (a lot of city driving). Over the last couple of months, I've gotten around 19 MPG. Again, a lot of city driving and short trips. I have found that Kwik Trip and Shell premium provided the best results. I have used a tank or two of 89, it depends on the price.
    I am setting out on a trip to Florida (have finally regained my senses and will be returning to my birth state) so am interested to see what 2000 miles of interstate will do. I expect a jump in mileage once I arrive in Florida due to warmer weather and the retripping of the computer from the highway driving.
    I have always kept my RPMs to 2000 to 2200 on the highway unless passing. This varies the speed of the vehicle between 60 and 75. A lot of people think it's the speed that matters, but RPMs seem to make a bigger difference. I used to own a Hybrid Escape so learned a lot of hypermiling techniques that I have transferred to the CX-7. The only thing I really miss about the hybrid is the CVT which allowed one to put the transmission in neutral when coasting down a hill, which allowed for a much longer coast.
  • weinerdowndogweinerdowndog Member Posts: 13
    I'm confused, does the cx7 take premium gas, super or regular?