Options

2007 Honda CR-V

Comments

• Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I have a question that I can try and relate to this topic...

Since Honda doesn't produce the 3.0L (244hp/211lb-ft) in the old Accord, could they not shovel that engine into the CR-V now? Anybody know the answer to that one?

I imagine a good many people would be interested in that, making it a solid competitor with the CX-7 set. It still wouldn't be as quick as the turbo RD-X, but it WOULD get 0-60 times down from 10 to around 8. It'd also be useful when traveling loaded with people.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Grad,the Diesel goes in the crv next year in lieu of a V6, it has slightly more torque than the V6.
  • Options
    ajulianajulian Member Posts: 12
    Hello, I was wondering if you can kindly post your mpg in the "Honda CRV real world mileage" forum? Even just an average mpg would be very helpful!

Thanks for your help!!!
  • Options
    ajulianajulian Member Posts: 12
    whats an overbite?
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    but it WOULD get 0-60 times down from 10 to around 8.

Gen 2 and 2.5 with manual are getting to 60 mph in 8 - 8.3 seconds.

Another benefit of Diesel is that Honda only sells it with a 6 spd manual which would fit niceley where Honda left us, manual drivers, out with the redesign of the CR-V.

Since less than 5% of CR-V's sold in the US were manual, and it is expected that Diesel CR-V will garner 5% of the sales, it is not too far fetched to say that if Honda brings Diesel 6 spd manual over here, it will fulfill that 5% gap.

Also, Diesel can run on filtered used frying oil. And judging the bulging pant and dress sizes of the US population, there should be no problem getting hold of used frying oil. :)
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    whats an overbite?

When one's top teeth overlap the bottom teeth by a large amount.

IMHO, the CRV has a severe underbite not an overbite.
  • Options
    Unless you look at it as the hood meets the grill, in that case it is an overbite. Either way, the CR-V could be perfected with a little work on its grill (not its gold teeth!).
  • Options
    But with no manual option, the CR-V's competitors are getting solid 8s in the 0-60 run (Santa Fe, Outlander, etc...). The 3.0L V6 from the Honda would make a nice competitor for the Santa Fe 3.3L V6 (I suspect the Honda 4-cyl is faster than Hyundai's 2.7L)
  • Options
    When I saw the First pics 07,it appeared that the grill louvers angled to the front. Noticed on the 08 that the grill is vertical and slightly less noticeable. Maybe I had one too many coffees. It does look a little "lantern jawed" but better that my perception of the intro 07. :)
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I don't see the percentages working out that way. Basically, Honda would be targeting only those buyers who want a diesel and are willing to drive a stick. That's 5% of 5%, or 0.25% of the total market. With Honda selling 200,000 units a year, that makes for 50,000 diesels.

In general...

Diesel will offer better fuel economy, but it will not provide better emissions.

Diesel will certainly add torque, but it will not provide increased speed. A diesel CR-V will probably leave a stop sign quite smartly, but passing at highway speeds may be hurt.

Diesel engines, being rather heavy, will degrade the handling of the vehicle.

I welcome the addition of a diesel to the CR-V line, but it is simply another option. It is not necessarily the better option. Diesels have both pros and cons to be considered.
  • Options
    I'd love to see some pics of what you are talking about, but will have to look for them later!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I don't think they require more maintenance, perhaps a european Honda diesel owner could chime in...

I mean, think about it, no spark plus to change...ever!

Resale values for diesels are much better, and deservedly so because diesels have greater durability. The engines weigh more (as varmint mentioned) but are therefore a lot more robust.
  • Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    The Honda 2.4L 190HP engine that is being used in some of the Accords would be helpful.

Kip
  • Options
    It's the torque that is the problem,the diesel w/260 ft lbs. addresses that with great mpg.
  • Options
    It's so peaky, i doubt most drivers would be able to tell a discernable difference. You really need a torque number over 200 to run with vehicles like the Santa Fe 3.3L, Outlander, etc. It is, however, as fast as the Escape 3.0L.
  • Options
    oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    But you can get a manual with the Santa Fe's 2.7L, and you can't with the CR-V.
  • Options
    719b719b Member Posts: 216
    spark plugs last over 100,000 miles in most automobiles, so i don't think that is an issue. i don't know how the new diesels are, but the older diesels required frequent oil changes.
    i believe the miles you drive a year would determine the savings. if you drive 15,000 miles a year, the savings is about $400 a year in fuel. i have no idea how much more a diesel cr-v will be, so i have no idea how many years it would take to make up difference.
    everyone talks about durability... a well maintained gas operated car will last 200,000 miles.... not many will keep a car that long.
    the other issue is diesel fuel prices rising faster than gas prices. every time diesel fuel prices go up faster than gas prices, it cuts into the savings,
    if you are an average car buyer and trade in every 4 years, i don't see much, if any savings. if you plan to keep the diesel powered car till it falls apart, then you will save as long as the cost of diesel doesn't go crazy.
    just my two cents and i'm not posting as an authority.
  • Options
    Basically, Honda would be targeting only those buyers who want a diesel and are willing to drive a stick. That's 5% of 5%, or 0.25% of the total market. With Honda selling 200,000 units a year, that makes for 50,000 diesels.

Chances are that people who want the diesel are the same people who want the manual i.e. Automotive Enthusiasts, not the drones you see on the road every day.
  • Options
    But with no manual option, the CR-V's competitors are getting solid 8s in the 0-60 run (Santa Fe, Outlander, etc...). The 3.0L V6 from the Honda would make a nice competitor for the Santa Fe 3.3L V6 (I suspect the Honda 4-cyl is faster than Hyundai's 2.7L)

I highly doubt that the 3.3L V6 from Hyundai is achieving anywhere close to 30 mpg.

Ford Escape with a 3.0L V6 Auto is just as slow as the CR-V 2.4 L auto.

So, yes you can solve the acceleration with added displacement, or you can take a more efficeint route with what you already have.

I pick latter. 0-60 in 8 seconds and 30 mpg, CR-V 5 MAN is kind of like Jeckyl and Hyde. Some days I feel like 0-60 is important, and some days I feel like 30 mpg is important and I can do it all with one vehicle, without the added expense of having two different vehicles.

But, hey, some days (pretty much every day from April through September), I feel like 0-60 in 3 seconds is more fun (and get 50 mpg), and I take out the other Honda from the stable and just wring her out :blush:
  • Options
    Diesel prices are high now because people are buying up a lot of heating oil.

When gas prices spiked right before summer, diesel prices didn't go up as much, at least around here.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Enthusiasts are going to buy the V6 RAV4, the CX-7, the X3, or the RDX. Those vehicles accelerate faster and will handle better. But thanks for quoting me. As I reread my own message I saw a typo/miscalc. It should have read, "with Honda selling 200,000 units a year, that makes for 500 diesels."

As for the durability of the engine mentioned in other posts, let us not forget that any diesel is also going to be a turbo-fed engine. The block itself may be robust, but how many times do you read, "My block broke"? Turbos on the other hand, are only moderately reliable.
  • Options
    Enthusiasts should demand a true manual transmission, that would mean X3 or Forester XT. ;)

I think Suzuki offers one on the Grand Vitara, but it's not tuned to be sporty. Did I forget any?

Honda and Toyota gave up on the manual. Too bad. I understand why they did it, but still.
  • Options
    I can imagine a 4-cyl CR-V being a lot of fun. I still like the idea of a 3.0L V6 CR-V... even more so with the 6-speed manual that came in the 06-07 Accord! Talk about a fun ride!
  • Options
    If you want to have real fun with a 6 speed manual,just get a sportbike. Honda knows this. That's why they make both!
  • Options
    shouldi2shouldi2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Am very close to purchasing CRV2008 EXL 4wd. How does it really do in snow or slippery conditons? Also I live in a hilly part of the usa. Am worried that the car decides when to go into 4wd and I have no control over it; How well does this automatic 4wd really work? Have read people get close to 30 mpg on hwy. I am not a speed freak or air conditoner freak. Drive about 65 on hwy. Do I stand a good chance of getting 28 mpg onl hwy rather than the published 26? the mpg is very important to me. thanks. shouldi2
  • Options
    marig0107marig0107 Member Posts: 92
    I have the 07 model and am crazy about it. I no longer live in extreme snow conditions as of last year, thank God, but I will tell you in rain, my car stopped on the dime. I have never had anti lock brakes, always pumping the brakes to a stop, so I had to remind myself to hold firm, but it worked. I should have skidded like crazy when this stupid yellow went red abruptly but I didn't.

I can't say mpg. I drive where and when I need to go rather than daily driving to work. But some weeks I fill up twice, others I can go about 9 days without re-filling. I think I do pretty well with gas considering erratic driving. Much bigger engine that our little old car, but the gas mileage is way better than the old caravan.

I think it's worth it. But if you can go even smaller, look at the civic. You'll drive so long on one tank you may forget to gas up again. ;)
  • Options
    At 60-65 mph we get 29+ and as high as near 31 on one trip of 90 % highway at 60 mph. Our CR-V is an 03 with 4 spd auto and 4wd. I would think the 08 with the 5 spd auto would do even better on the road than ours. Can't speak of driving in snow as we don't get much of that in Georgia.

Did have an opportunity to use the 4wd on a rain soaked muddy field. Wasn't muddy when we parked there. But a heavy down pour turned it into slurry. Cars were "stuck" all over the field but the CR-V pulled off with very little wheel spin. Don't know when the 4wd kicked in, but all went well, as it was supposed to.

FWIW I never felt the 4wd engage, but I know it did because of the mud slung up the side above the rear tires. It was more than the tire just moving through the mud would have done.

In heavy snow, the best 4wd system in the world won't do much without really good snow type tires. Also in snow country with lots of hills I might seriously consider Jeep or Subaru. Both of those have systems available that will make sure both the wheels on the same axle will pull. Kind of a limited slip side to side as well as front to rear. Don't know or don't think the CR-V will do that. I'm thinking the CR-V simply shifts more or less torque to the rear wheels as needed. In effect it could have one rear and one front trying to pull while the other two just sit there.

Someone else might be able to add some light on the CR-V 4wd system.

Kip
  • Options
    Also in snow country with lots of hills I might seriously consider Jeep or Subaru. Both of those have systems available that will make sure both the wheels on the same axle will pull. Kind of a limited slip side to side as well as front to rear. Don't know or don't think the CR-V will do that. I'm thinking the CR-V simply shifts more or less torque to the rear wheels as needed. In effect it could have one rear and one front trying to pull while the other two just sit there.

The VSA applies brakes to the wheels that are slipping, essentially locking them up, so that the wheels that have grip can transfer the power to the ground. It basically has digital LSD. One caveat though, if all 4 wheels are slipping then the VSA cuts the power to the engine.
  • Options
    OK !

That would effectively allow (force) all wheels to turn, even though some may be on ice. Is that on all the later models of CR-V? Does it do it without any input from the driver?

Thanks,
    Kip
  • Options
    OK !

That would effectively allow (force) all wheels to turn, even though some may be on ice. Is that on all the later models of CR-V? Does it do it without any input from the driver?

Thanks,
    Kip

2005 and up CR-V's have it. The Helms manual also describes the "Panic Braking" mode, even though the Owner's Manual, nor the brochure mention it.

VSA also applies brakes to the inside wheels when a tight turn becomes a slide :P
  • Options
    jackcal99jackcal99 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 08 CR-V about a month ago. After about 15 minutes driving, I find that my right thigh in the area just above the knee starts to hurt. This is the leg that is used to control the gas pedal and break. I believe the pain comes from putting a strain on the muscle in that area (I believe the hamstring). I used to drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee and never had this strain on my thigh and muscle. I have never experienced this in any rental car either. I have tried every possible seat configuration (seat forward with high seat height, low seat height, seat back with seat high and low, etc).

I have concluded that the seat is just too short to support my thigh. I have started to measure my friends' cars and have found that the CR-V's seats are anywhere from 3/4s of an inch to an 1 and 1/2 inch shorter than other cars' seats.

Anyone have any suggested remedies?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    An upholstery shop may be able to add some padding to the seat cushion. Your dealer may be able to recommend a local shop that does a lot of auto upholstery work.
  • Options
    719b719b Member Posts: 216
    sounds like the cushion is too short for your thighs and doesn't support them. an inexpensive remedy may be placing a long cushion over the seat.
  • Options
    natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Curious do the knobs/buttons light up at night around navigation models? Like scan, seek, etc buttons?
  • Options
    ninomcdninomcd Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2008 CR-V on Nov. 30th, 2007. I am starting to feel discomfort in my right thigh as well. My guess is that it is the CR-V and the fact that the seat is 21 inches across just like my oOyssey, but the seat detailing takes away six inches or three inches of the seat on each side. The sides of the seat turn upward and cut into the thigh right under the hips.

I am also trying to figure out what can be done about this issue. I just started driving this vehicle and would hate to need a hip replacement years from now because of years of driving this CR-V.

An upholstery shop solution is probably costly and a cushion does not seem like it would fit the seat properly. I am seeking other possible solutions as well.
  • Options
    I suck. I don't pay attention to the nav buttons anymore. Guess they are in my head now and I don't think about it. If mommy brain here remembers, I'll check tonight. ;)
  • Options
    I'm curious if they are even needed since you can use the voice commands. But do the voice commands control everything, climate control etc.

I suck. I don't pay attention to the nav buttons anymore. Guess they are in my head now and I don't think about it. If mommy brain here remembers, I'll check tonight. ;)
  • Options
    romsroms Member Posts: 3
    do you know if auto lights and wipers are on the japanese models of the honda crv 2007?
    thanks
  • Options
    I'm curious if they are even needed since you can use the voice commands. But do the voice commands control everything, climate control etc.

Voice commands do not control everything. Just the radio and the climate control. But I would not depend on them for even that. Sometimes you say find a certain street and it mistakes the street you said. Find nearest gas station, now that works. :) And heaven forbid I start coughing and choking while changing XM stations....lol

Why would you want it to control climate? It's a fairly small car to really even need dual climate. I found that amusing.

Seriously though, mommy brain remembered yesterday to look and yes, the buttons are illuminated. And the nav system screen has an auto setting that will change the birhgtness of the screen when you are in night mode (turning on headlights) and it has day or night mode so you can override if you have lights on in daytime due to rain and don't need night screen.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I found a list of voice commands online - so that'll be fun to play with.

Voice commands do not control everything. Just the radio and the climate control. But I would not depend on them for even that. Sometimes you say find a certain street and it mistakes the street you said. Find nearest gas station, now that works. :) And heaven forbid I start coughing and choking while changing XM stations....lol

Why would you want it to control climate? It's a fairly small car to really even need dual climate. I found that amusing.

Seriously though, mommy brain remembered yesterday to look and yes, the buttons are illuminated. And the nav system screen has an auto setting that will change the birhgtness of the screen when you are in night mode (turning on headlights) and it has day or night mode so you can override if you have lights on in daytime due to rain and don't need night screen
  • Options
    Quit using that coughing excuse and admit it, you really do like Barry Minilow. ;)
  • Options
    Quit using that coughing excuse and admit it, you really do like Barry Minilow.

ROFL....... :blush:

nah, we prefer the Bee Gees :shades:
  • Options
    hkumarhkumar Member Posts: 4
    Kinda of a generic question...

Other than oil changes per the electronic gauge, what are the other maintenance things you guys do? (frequency of tire rotations, brake/tire checks/replacements, etc.)
  • Options
    The electonic maintenance minder will tell you what you need to do (read your manual for details on the service codes that show up at 15%).

Air filters, transmission fluid changes, brake fluid, etc... will all need to be done eventually.
  • Options
    tkaytkay Member Posts: 99
    I have 16,000 miles and the 2nd reminder has not yet come on!!
  • Options
    Drive my wifes 07 CR V down a gravel & bumpy road and it seems like the suspension makes a lots of noise.On the other hand I drive my 05 Cr V down the same road and it seems quietier and much more solid.I'm just about ready to take it in for the 2nd. service 16K..Does anyone have a idea????
  • Options
    Ask your dealer to inspect the struts for leaks, and maybe the axle and CV boots as well.

I had a torn axle boot on a Mazda 626 and I observed the same symptom. Could also be a bad wheel bearing (also observed on that car).
  • Options
    Thanks for the info AX man. Have marked your response down and will give that info to the dealer as a possibility. would ask about the CR V's all wheel drive! (naw we won't go there on this thread) L.O.L. (great debate I love it!!!) informative.
  • Options
    No charts! Please! :D
  • Options
    Take the Cr V in Monday morning. Will let you know (ax man) how your long distance diagnosis fared with the limited info I gave you. did notice a little puddle of oil just inside the right wheel in the garage. CV Boot??? But it was not really a puddle it was more of a dried oil spill (size of a softball)
This discussion has been closed.