Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Electrical Problems

Comments

• bft_pathfinderbft_pathfinder Member Posts: 1
    I also had a similar problem in my '97 pathfinder. The window rolled down and wouldn't roll up, so I took it to my mechanic in Florida. Turned out the pulley/gear coming from the window motor had come loose and fallen off inside the door. Ended up getting a "newly-rebuilt" window and pulley/gear installed for somewhere in the neighborhood of $60-$80.
  • rgormanrgorman Member Posts: 1
    We recently replaced the waterpump on my 95 Pathfinder after it overheated on me. 2 weeks later it started running hot on me again, and we're still losing water from somewhere. We replaced the waterpump and thermostat yet again (after overheating it again); now it's not starting at all! It's turning over, getting spark and fuel but will not crank. Has compression on left side; but none on right.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    THANK YOU!
  • sp311b0undsp311b0und Member Posts: 4
    i have a 97 nissan pathfinder... the windows did the same thing in mine and my power door lock on the driver side didnt work at all... for a while i let it go because it was winter and my windows were shut but only my driver side window was cracked a little but the windows wouldnt work the only good thing about it was that i have a moonroof and that was the only working window. i let it got till summer and it was about 100 degrees so i took it to a friend who said power door switch thing that controls all the windows and locks neededt o be replaced. pathfinders have lots of electrical problems.. believe me now i got a problem with my interior lights on my shitfing thing dont work at all haha.
  • sp311b0undsp311b0und Member Posts: 4
    okay i have a 97 pathfinder i had no water pump problems but a whole bunch of other ones.. but i did have a simelar problem to yours with it not starting... you probably need a new starter... because my pathfinder would start almost all the time than like when im at work and i gotta go homeat 1 in the morning.. it wouldnt start it would turn over all the lightgs would work... the raidio would work but the engine just wouldnt go... so u probably just need a new starter it cost me about 200 to buy it new..
  • btrigliabtriglia Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. we can not drive the car as there is no way of securing the car from the elements. Did you find a solution ?
  • drh2061drh2061 Member Posts: 1
    I have just had my 06 pathfinder towed again. It has 5 new factory fuel pumps on it, the ignition changed, and the last time they said it was a problem with the smart key. Now they have had it a week and a half and said they unplugged and plugged the fuel pump wires and it cranked. They dont know what to do next and are waiting on engineers at nissan to tell them what to do next. Has anybody had problems like this?
  • sschucksschuck Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 95 Pathfinder and the horn won't work at the steering wheel but it does fine with the alarm system. The fuse is good and power to both sides would there be a problem with the horn relay or is this a wire problem? :confuse:
  • ndmanndman Member Posts: 2
    my 2003 pathfinder driver's seat just shut down the same way your's did, ie. won't move forward or back, but all other directions work, did you ever solve this puzzle?
  • switchfixerswitchfixer Member Posts: 21
    My 1999.5 has the same problem on the passenger side. Mine won't go forward.
    Switchfixer :confuse:
  • triniatlargetriniatlarge Member Posts: 1
    This problem is puzzling me. it started off as the light not turning on so i bought a new bulb. Months later, the light does not turn on again. So I changed and works for the next 5 min and goes off. when I look at the electrical connection contact that snaps on to the bulb i see the "ground" side is burnt. So I buy a new contact and the lights work for a month with new contact and new bulb. After checking my new contact I put in, the ground side is completely burnt off. So i buy another on and this time i ground the contact on to the body of the car. I am thinking the ground is not working. Well, with another new bulb and another new contact I waited a week before seeing the same symptoms. This time the bulb turns off and on. I am checking everyday to see any burns on the ground side but none so far, just the constant turning on and off on the left headlight. How do I fix this?
  • doug66doug66 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I have an 04 Pathfinder, does anyone know anything about what causes my switch to now just arbitrarily stop completely sliding my sun roof all the way back? Push switch, it will move it a couple of inches and stop, push switch, moves couple of inches and stops...til it gets all the way back open. Same thing happens when trying to close. My battery did go completely dead last week and had to install a new one of course. After replacing, I noticed my LED readout on the CD player which had not been displaying correctly before, all of a sudden started displaying the correct information. ????
  • dlippsdlipps Member Posts: 1
    I was using an air pump to blow up my bike tires yesterday. I had it plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet and it blew the fuse. So I changed the fuse and then plugged it into the rear power outlet so as not to blow the fuse again. The rear power outlet stopped working. I checked every single fuse in the fuse box under the steering wheel and there aren't any other blown fuses. Is there not a fuse to this outlet that can be changed?

Any help would be grealy appreciated.
  • doug66doug66 Member Posts: 3
    Right after I posted to this forum, went downstairs got into my vehicle and all of a sudden sun roof mechanism was working correctly, now if I could only do the same with my computer.
  • offroadprooffroadpro Member Posts: 2
    i had same problem a while back. check under the hood, there is a fuse box and i believe you will find a outlet fuse , change it and your rear outlet should work.
    let me know if it works.
  • pathfiderowenrpathfiderowenr Member Posts: 10
    my tail lights where working up on till last night the fuse are fine but i can not find the relay it is the running lights and brack lights that are not working Please help me with this problem
  • switchfixerswitchfixer Member Posts: 21
    Hi hope this helps, it's from a post I made a long time ago,here it is:::
    Hello, I had the same problem on my 95' with the tail lights not coming on with the headlights or shutting off when driving (great no one could see me from behind). It's the turnsignal-headlight switch. I fixed this easly
    in 30 minutes. Underneath the steering wheel remove the 4 screws that hold the bottom half of the steering wheel bezel. Once you have those off you can lift the top half of the bezel a bit to get to the two screws that hold the switch in place. Remove switch and take inside your home / or shop. There is a plastic plate that covers the where the
    contacts are. That plate is about a 1 1/2" roughly square. I forget if it has screws or not , unscrew and or pry to pop that piece of plastic off. You will now see 4 or five contact legs. One for the headlamps 1 for taillamps and 2 turnsiganl contact legs. From turning headlights on/off alot they get unsprung a bit and will make little contact with the other mating surface. I used a small screw driver
    to bend them towards the inside of the switch so they could make good contact. Take the switch in your hand and turn it on , you will see a one or two legs that have lost some off the orginal bend to make contact (thats the brake lights, use a small screw driver or you thumb to bend then inwards a bit to match the other legs. You could also use a very small pair of needle nose to bend the legs downword towards the other mating surface. My tail lights worked after this fix and i haven't had a problem in the year that i did this fix. good luck it works! Take your time to understand where and how the contact legs go to make a connection.

Those switches are too darn expensive but that is the problem
    SWITCHFIXER

Also you could try to spray with a contact cleaner like some one else on this
    board suggested,
    Switchfixer :shades:
    thanks any way but i found the problum one light was burnt out and the outher the 2 wires where coroted off thanks
    is have a 95 pathfinder with a head light prob both fues are good it is the driver side light that dont work olny when you turne it on for night driving
  • shockerfdshockerfd Member Posts: 3
    My 2007 Pathfinder SE we've owned for 3 months now is having a strange issue. The drivers side window and passenger window on two occasions have gone down with the key off. Nothing else to explain? Anyone else have a similar issue?
  • shockerfdshockerfd Member Posts: 3
    Found the solution to my own problem I thought I would post. Apparantly if you hold the unlock button down on the key fob for 3 seconds the front windows will go down about half way. Just a unique feature with other Nissans as well. Unusual and can't see where it's a beneficial feature. I guess if its hot outside and you don't want to walk outside to crack the windows just hit the key fob. ???? lol
  • randyperkrandyperk Member Posts: 1
    my heating and air indicate does not work. when you press the mode setting it direct the air and defrost off and on but can't see the direction and see the tempeture.
  • Terrir1216Terrir1216 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Pathfinder SE that does the same thing. Front windows (both driver and passenger side) go down half-way. This had been occurring once every 2 or 3 weeks since I bought the car at the end of August, 2008. I tried pressing the window lock button, but that didn't help. Last time it happened was Dec. 30, and I took the car to the dealership a few days later. They said that the unlock button was somehow getting pressed, and that was causing the windows to go down. They told me to be careful with the remote. I thought the problem was fixed, then yesterday when I went to my car after work, the windows were once again half-way down. When I got home I switched out the remote. I'll see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'll leave the remote at home and will use the key to unlock the car instead of the remote. That should fix the problem. If it doesn't, then I'm going back to the dealership.
  • NettaNetta Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Pathfinder which has the same issue with the window. I arrived at work at 7:30 am on Feb.1st and around 8am I received an email from security telling me my front windows were down, everyone tried to convince me I left them down by accident (it was 45 degrees outside). Thursday, Feb. 12th I was at the gym at 10pm and had someone with me, when he finished working out he went outside to wait for me and I happened to get a front row parking spot so my vehicle was in view of the door. My front windows were down again, I took my vehicle to the dealership this morning and they have had it for about 5 hours now and can't find anything wrong or duplicate the problem. The service technician is trying to convince me that I somehow keep holding the unlock button, I don't walk around with my keys in my pocket. This is definitely a problem with this particular Nissan vehicle which they don't want to admit. But it will become an issue if something happens to my vehicle while I'm unavailable due to this matter.
  • JojopeeJojopee Member Posts: 1
    My door open light on the dash is constantly flashing on and off and stays on and then flashes off but its completely wierd and i don't know the answer. Whats wrong!
    I also have a problem with the keyless entry system that might be related to the door light, if i lock my doors there is a 10 minute wait and then the alarm goes off without provocation?!? Is this a relay problem or a ECU or something. I'm dumb when it comes to this stuff.
    Hope to hear from you soon. :confuse:
  • donahoedonahoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 2wd 3.0 and my driver side headlight highbeam wouldnt work although the bulb, wiring, and fuses under the hood are good except the 10amp inside pops everytime I put it in. Now my daytime running lights went out so I cant drive at night. I havent tried replacing the switch like suggested, just wondering if y'all are talking about the interior stick switch off the column. Also my fues pops everytime I try to work the rear wiper, although it wont pop or will take longer to pop if I just use the rear sprayer. This truck is from TN and has very lil rust or corrosion and has never been messed with. Also my truck seems to have a valve tick, it idles and runs fine but cant place that noise, it has almost 195k now.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    One of your door closed sensors is bad. I've had to replace one on my 2001. I seem to remember it is very cheap and ANYBODY can change it. That's why you're getting an intermittent door open light. It's also causing the alarm to go off because it senses a door opening when the alarm is set. My dome light also turned on & off because of it. The only thing I can't remember is how I figured out which one of the four was bad. I think one of them was obviously broken or something... didn't spring back.
  • lildavidjaxlildavidjax Member Posts: 68
    I also had the same problem on my '93. There is also a switch in the latch of the rear hatch that was causing my problem.You can build up the striker on the latch with tape, or in my case, I did a spot weld on the striker which built it up enough to open the contact so my interior lights would stay off. Good luck! Re-post if any other questions! ;)
    Get the Haines manual for your year car. Most likely it is the switch on the column. (called the combination switch) Even for those not mechanically inclined will find out it's relatively easy to repair the switch without spending any money on it at all. See a post from "Switchfixer" about 1to 1 1/2 year ago. He explained it in detail how to repair it, (and did a fine job doing so I thought!) Good luck! Re-post with any more questions! ;)
  • Terrir1216Terrir1216 Member Posts: 2
    do you have another remote? If so, try swapping it for the remote you are currently using. When I swapped remotes, my problem stopped. Windows have not gone down on their own for about 2 months. Apparently, the glitch is in the remote, and some of them must be bad.
  • dferrierdferrier Member Posts: 3
    My TDI Pathfinder wont start all lights on the dashboard come up i can hear he uell pump clicking in, then the last turn of the key nothing. I see an error code of 2286>> Anybody help??

David
  • monty15monty15 Member Posts: 1
    i m having some electrical prob. with my 96 pathfinder it runsa great but whenever i require power for anything the deck cut out and all the interior lights dims even if the truck is not running and the deck or any lights are on and i step on the brake they dim, i figure its some kind of ground fault but can figyre where if anyone can please help me it would be great thank you
  • sweettart507sweettart507 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder and a couple of weeks ago I came out to my car and my key won't turn in the lock.....it will still slide in all the way but won't turn. I had to go in through the rear of the truck to get in my car and it set off the alarm but I couldn't get it to go off so I pulled the horn fuses. After leaving the fuses out for a couple of weeks the alarm has stopped going off but in an attempt to save some money instead spending a fortune to have the dealer pull it apart I bought a new keyless remote in hopes of just using that instead of my key......I've programmed it and the car is responding but the remote won't work. I don't know if some of my wiring is fried now or what.......any suggestions?
    i have a 95 pathfinder the winsheld wiper stays on on the dash can any one help be and also the drivers door will not go down
  • radiohobbyistradiohobbyist Member Posts: 1
    Yikes, from what I've seen here, there are a lot of problems with Pathfinders. :(

I've a 1999 model on which the battery will go dead if not driven for a day or so. What circuits/systems connected full-time to the battery might be causing this?

I've done a resistance test on the alternator output terminal, reading 640 ohms one direction, nothing the other direction [flipping the ohmmeter leads]. This tells me that the diodes in the alternator should be okay.

A caveat is that the vehicle is a wreck rebuild, with the passenger side and rear having been involved. Also, the "room lights" [Nissan's parlance] would always stay on unless turned off at the lamp itself. **BUT**...I removed the Room Lamp fuse, to no effect. :confuse:

I'm recharging the battery as of this post, and will do a current-draw test, and then begin pulling fuses to see if the current so noted, decreases.

Any help is certainly appreciated.
    hi i have a 95 pathfinder i just put in a aftermarket stario and it dont work and nither dose the orginial one can any one help me
    i have 95 pathfind the driver widow will not go down can any one help me
    if you can that will be grate
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Can you tell whether the motor that operates the windows is engaging? If not, the motor may be defective or you've blown a fuse.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tachida2tachida2 Member Posts: 47
    Periodically both ABS and 4WD warning lamp come on. Any ideas?
  • pathfinder135kpathfinder135k Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I’ve been looking for an answer to this problem for over a year. From the various posts across the internet, I see that this is not uncommon, but have never seen an actual answer to resolve the problem….
    The ISSUE, the dash/instrument panel lights will intermittently turn off on one side of the dash or the other, or both (Tach, etc. OR Speed, etc., or both), other lights in the car are unaffected. They will resume functioning in an arbitrary manner, with no repair. Turning lights ON or OFF, turning the car ON or OFF, hitting bumps, temperature, duration of drive time, weather, or towing a trailer seem to be unrelated - having no effect on precipitating or resolving the light failure. Lights may remain OFF for seconds, or minutes, or days at a time (making night-time driving problematic when the speedometer is out.) The instruments themselves work fine, the only problem is the lighting.
    ANYBODY have a clue ???
    Thanks.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    your light can flash for 3 months without draining the battery
  • edpatgi8950edpatgi8950 Member Posts: 5
    Nissan Pathfinder SE 6cyl Mannual trans 4WD
    111,000 miles fully overhauled a year ago
    :confuse: Recently I´ve been experiencing car trouble (stalling) only that it has gotten steadily worse and the last time it died on me and it didn´t start untill it had cooled off for about 30 minutes.............when coils short out how does one go about testing it?
    It really is mind boggling otherwise it was running great!!!
    you need a good volt meter , then you check the resistance across the coil tower that goes into the spark plug and also across the positive and neg pins or wire taps on the sides of the coil, as far as how much resistance you need to ask some one from nissan or get a spec sheet on the coils
  • edpatgi8950edpatgi8950 Member Posts: 5
    Since I happened to have a spare coil I switched them and test drove it, well, the flaw reappeared; then I went on and switched the ignition control module, the same thing happened since plugs and wires are brand new I think I will focus on the ignition relay.........
  • philby1philby1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 nissan pathfinder the left hand side blinkers have stopped working however the id light on the dash is still showing but does flash at twice speed.
    any ideas please.
  • freeflowfreeflow Member Posts: 1
    I have this same problem... has anyone figured out what could possibly cause this?

Again, blinker stops blinking when brakes are applied, then blinker comes on solid when brake is applied regardless if blinker is activated.

Please help lol
    First make sure all the bulbs are good in front and back. Second your combination switch (turn signal, lights) may be worn. All lights go through this switch. Search for combination switch in older forums for explanation on how to fix. It's relatively easy even for someone with little mechanical knowledge. For philby1, if you haven't replaced your radiator,DO SO NOW to avoid transmission problems! See ALL posts in the transmission section of these forums. This pertains to YOUR year model Pathfinder!
    Good luck, David
  • touringkevtouringkev Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 Pathfinder with some very weird electrical problems. When I start the car and get both daytime running lights the transmission sticks in second, If it starts with one daytime light ( which is on bright) everything is fine. It will occasionally stick in first, but if you restart the truck everything is fine. Now that it is getting cooler in the morning I get three warning lights on the dash ( at,oil, and i not sure what the other is ) but after two minutes they all go away. If I turn on the headlights both work and everything seems fine. I did notice once that the truck started with both daytime running lights but when I stepped on the brake to reverse out of the driveway it went to one light bright.
    any ideas? I have no idea where to start
    any help would be appreciated
    thanks
  • corjcorj Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Pathfinder and very happy with this car, Recently i found my car in a parking lot with the front windows down. We were very Surprised when we saw this. We looked around to see if someone had a prank on us. A week ago i left for work and found my car with the windows down again in the garage. Needles too say that this is not good. i use the doorbutton to lock my car and see if this will work for a while. Someone any ideas????? or a solution, i am new on this forum.
    I had several Nissans Murano's, (Almera's, Prairie in Europe) and no problems at all. Thanks
    YOUR FOB , or remote has a button sequence that does open the wndows,its something like unlock it and hold the unlock button for 2 seconds and the windows open,check it out in the manual for the FOB operation
  • corjcorj Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I will definitely read and try this, The only thing i wonder is why is this happening while my keys are on the table for a whole night and then find my car with the windows down?