Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Petroleum or Synthetic oil for my pickup truck?

Comments

• Options
    ncphishermanncphisherman Member Posts: 18
    so the profits go to some already-rich CEO who runs GMC. Americans need manufacturing jobs, not more rich CEO's.

take a closer look at your American cars and trucks- the parts come from everywhere- mexico, canada, and yes, japan too.

if you want to debate patriotism and nationalism, I can assure you that I have as much as any red blooded American. I am a 3rd generation American born in upstate NY and I love America and everything it stands for. I've witnessed what happens to small towns when the manufacturing base leaves town for Mexico. But when I buy a Honda built in Ohio, I am contributing as much to America as you are with your Silverado. In fact, I use less foreign oil (read: Arab) than you do. So lets cut the crap about people who buy foreign cars being unpatriotic. Its BS.

but, if you want to debate dino-juice vs. synthetic, bring it on.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    yes parts come from all over.....and cars are built all over....

facts are facts.....the major chunk of profit goes to the company......yeah it's great to have US workers employed and bad to see parts come from other places.....or good depending on who's "side" you are on.....but a US truck company building a truck in Canada with mixed parts is farr better for the US than a [non-permissible content removed] company building them in Ohio with Mixed part suppliers...

what's the story again?/

competition is good.....it makes the players step up their products and sometimes in turn makes the price more favorable for us....or we get more bang for our buck. There was a time when we needed a kick in the [non-permissible content removed]...as our quality suffered and we needed someone to show us how it should be....so to speak...

the number one impact of the USA....in all markets/jobs eventually...is car sales.....be it the party store...the pubs....suppliers....it all trickles down...

and if them rich CEO's don't have the moolah....then I guess they don't have it to spend at them places eh?

haha

see it how you want......I will buy American before Japanese.

......and then there is Italian and German.......now those are good cars....but give me My Chevrolet.....

Enjoy

- Tim
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's steer this back towards the topic OK?

I know that some "drift" is bound to happen, but keep the topics in mind.

Thanks!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• Options
    ..OIL!

- Tim
  • Options
    my point is that few people keep their cars long enough to benefit from the use of synthetics. I do believe that synthetics will last longer (stay cleaner) than regular oil. as far as mileage increases, there is no way that anyone can notice a difference between using syn. vs. dino-juice. there are too many factors- you may notice an increase in gas mileage just because it was a warmer week. Cold weather reduces gas mileage, as does oxygenated gas.

using synthetics is great for the next guy, but unless you keep your car 19 years, forget synthetics.
  • Options
    erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    My last truck was a 1989 GMC S-15. I started using Mobil 1 at 9000 miles for several reasons. First, there was the longevity issue. I keep my vehicles a long time and I don't mind paying extra to help keep them mechanically sound. But what many people ignore is the superior viscosity of synthetic oils. My truck spent many nights outdoors in sub-zero temperatures. Nothing compares to synthetic oil for being able to flow quickly on cold mornings. The first few moments of every start is where most wear occurs. When I finally sold my truck earlier this year, it had over 111,000 miles on it and it was still tight. I had slipped oil change intervals to 10,000 miles for the last few years and even then it used no oil. Now I have a 2001 GMC Sierra which I started on a diet of Mobil 1 at 3000 miles. Now, with almost 9000 miles, it also uses no oil between changes. Yesterday I came home from a two week trip to find it buried under a foot of snow. It started right up and just purred like a kitten. Mobil 1 may not be right for everyone, but it works for me.
  • Options
    badrammanbadramman Member Posts: 61
    Why Mobil 1?? I mean there are a wide variety of synthetics available and yet everybody wants Mobil 1!

Things that make you go...HMMM:)
  • Options
    main reason I use it...for faster flow upon startup...

Why Mobil one?...it's the most common and can be found everywhere. There are others....(Royal Purple..Amsoil....as well as castrol/penzoil...etc snythetics and blends..)...but Mobil one is not too pricey and available.

like said above..."works for me"

- Tim
  • Options
    seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    still have the link to the oil filter test site?
    also looking for the one that explains about oil and gives the specs. for brands available.
    -
    have also been reading a topic on the maintenance board, where quite a few are having a problem with Toyotas sludging up and Toyota is taking the easy way out by not honoring the warranty. the owners are using synthetic oil (not that this is the cause) but Toyota is claiming that extended oil changes is what's causing the problem.
  • Options
    Because that is what's available here.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Couldn't happen to a finer bunch of peeps.

Mobil1 has done an excellent job of marketing. That's the only reason its no. 1. Course others have said oil is oil is oil. I'm not a scientest so I can't interpret the data...and who's to say the data is not corrupt.

For me, I use lubriplate.

http://www.lubriplate.com

Not easily found, but seen worked in heavy industrial applications and figured was good enough for me......

• Options
    erikheiker: "When I finally sold my truck earlier this year, it had over 111,000 miles on it and it was still tight."

me: this is my point. Your truck would have went 111,000 miles whether you used synthetic or not. The next guy, who may drive the truck into the ground, gets all the benefit of your using synthetic. And chances are, this guy isn't going to use a synthetic oil on a used car with over 100k.

but if it works for you, go for it...
  • Options
    they change synthetic every 3000....

does it hurt anything?....nope..

- Tim
  • Options
    bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Nope, not hurting anything at all.. They're also performing an admirable civic duty by spending money in an effort to keep the economy going..
  • Options
    .....how people lose this much sleep knowing others use Synthetic at 3K intervals....or sell the truck before 100K and use synthetic......is beyond me...

I really don't care what others do.....and sleep just fine....

How about you?

haha

- Tim
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    this has been fun. Don't much care what NorthCarolinaFisherDude (or whatever) says, both of my Marysville, OH V-6 Hondas and my GM truck all really run great and I still love Guinness and my Mobil 1.
    -- Don
  • Options
    bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    That if you want to use synthetic, you have to want to keep your vehicle. There is one poor sap who owns a new lemonado which has been in the shop over 4 months. In his situation, I would run the cheapest oil I could find and unload the lemon quick.

The payoff for synthetic oil is if you choose to keep your vehicle for a long time. Chevy owners cannot understand this because they typically unload their lemons after a year or two.
  • Options
    ..Still believin' what yer shovelin' eh Batman?

Good Luck on this one now!

- Rube Tim
  • Options
    least get some new lines!

- Tim
  • Options
    a topic runs really smooth, even when there is a disagreement of some sort, but when bamarama shows up, his obvious intent is to either post bogus info, or insult. while it is certainly best to ignore such immaturity, you can't help feeling sorry for such a lonely chap.
    -
    BTW, how many aare using Royal Purple........you know, the stuff that looks like koolaid?
  • Options
    bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    how these topics will run along smoothly for awhile and then someone gets their feelings hurt and starts whining? Reminds me of my 7 year old.

I like Mobil 1. It is readily available (I buy the six packs at Costco) and proven. I remember Mobil 1 from the 70's.
  • Options
    gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    Be a dealer and buy it at wholesale.
  • Options
    did you get that TOYOTA fixed yet? or is it still leaking glycol into the crankcase?
  • Options
  • Options
    can't believe their wanting to not honor the warranty.......hope you sock it to 'em.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    My 99 Z-71 just hit 25K - I will be driving from Houston to Colorado over Christmas for a week of fun in the snow (1,206 miles one way!). I have not used Synthetic oil in this truck yet, but since I expect temps in the single digits I thought I would give it a try. I normally get 19+ MPG on road trips - be interesting to see if M-1 makes any difference. If it does I will keep using it. Case of 6 quarts for $17.58 at Walmart is the lowest price I have ever seen.
  • Options
    amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    my 2000 C2500. It currently has 43,000 mi. All trouble free, no leaks, easy start ups. Magnetic drain plug is spotless. I change every 5,000 mi, 5 full qts out, 5 qts in. M1 is cheaper than Pennzoil Synthetic w/Pennzane. And the Pennzoil Syn bottle says to change every 3,000 mi under severe conditions. I guess Pennzoil wants their 250 million investment to pay off.
    The Pennzane was designed for spacecraft. I would use it if i planned to drive to the Moon.
  • Options
    jetdriver2jetdriver2 Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased my first diesel, a Ford f250 powerstroke. The dealer says the first oil change should be at 3000 miles, which sounded a little long. Also, I was wondering about after market oil filter recommendations and oil recommenddations. Of course the dealer recommended motorcraft. any input is greatly appreciated.
    thanks,, gary
  • Options
    Amsoil series 3000 5w30 diesel oil & SDF oil filter.
  • Options
    joeltranejoeltrane Member Posts: 25
    Semi-synthetics or synthetic blends or whatever they're called???
    I know they're about the same cost as dino, but would you get some of the benefits of full synthetic(easier starts, etc..)???
    Just curious.
  • Options
    Go with 100% synthetic.
  • Options
    Dino/syn blends tend to be mostly dino juice...up to 90 percent. I agree with the gimp...go full synthetic.
  • Options
    saltysacksaltysack Member Posts: 12
    I have been using the Harley Davidson 20W50 oil in my 80 cu in Electraglide and changing filter and oil at 3000 miles. Engine is beginnning to "loosen up" a little as I can detect clacking sounds when hot. If I change to a synthetic 20W50 now, will this lead to leaks and blow by? I am planning to use Mobil 1 in my new Dodge Quad Cab at first oil change at about 3700 miles.
  • Options
    Interesting name. Why wait till 3700 miles for first oil change? What mobil 1 are you planning on using? A little detail would go a long way.
  • Options
    Corvettes, Beemers, Vipers, Porsches all come with Mobil 1 at factory. No break-in needed.
  • Options
    white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    I have been using mobil 1 for a few years & I thinks it works great. I know it helps on start ups and MPG,s. I use it on my new F-250 & my wifes explorer sport trac. I buy it in a five quart jug at wal-mart for $17, it's the cheapest anywhere by far.
  • Options
    badrammanbadramman Member Posts: 61
    I would like to try using M1 in my 96 Ram 5.9. Which weight should I use??
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    What ever the owners manual calls for
  • Options
    vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    1st, I have heard AMSOL is the best, but I'll never know. I DO NOT purchase anything from pyramid systems or direct only sales. If I can't buy it at a local store, I DON'T BUY IT.

2nd, from all the info I've gathered over the years synthetic oil has far exceeded the technology of the $2.50 disposable oil filter. You must still change the filter every 5000 miles.

3rd, I have been driving VWs for years and it is believed by several VW engine builders that you should never use synthetic oil in any kind of air cooled engine. synthetic oil repels heat, and an air cooled engine depends on the oil to help remove heat from the heads.

I have just bought a brand new truck, and I will switch to synthetic after about 7000 miles, then I will change the oil and filter every 5000 miles.

Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    Pyramid? Get real.
  • Options
    mrbid1mrbid1 Member Posts: 4
    I use Mobil synthetic oil and filter in my truck. I have a friend that is trying to get me to change to Royal Purple brand oil. Can anyone tell me how Royal Purple and Amsoil compare to Mobil. I thought Mobil suppose to be the leader in the industry. Thanks!
  • Options
    Amsoil spanks'em ALL!
  • Options
    I agree that Amsoil is a good quality oil.. But to refer to Amsoil's site for the 'proof' is absurd.. Of course Amsoils site is going to say that it's oil is far superior to any other synthetic..
    Funny, Mobil 1 claims the same thing..
  • Options
    saltysacksaltysack Member Posts: 12
    I have a lot to learn about synthetics. Guess I can change at any time with a new engine. I suppose I would use Mobil1 in a 5-30W. I saw Amsoil pitchman at the 2001 bike show in Austin. Talk and demos and details. Still, I feel better with a national brand I can buy anywhere.
  • Options
    at 1000 miles. On my Denali, I changed to Lubriplate at 300 miles. Don't know if it will make a difference in the long run....just seemed like a good idea at the time. Oh and I used 10-30w.
  • Options
    bess.....Mobil 1 will not print it on the back of every bottle.....Amsoil will ,and does..no law suits yet.

salty.....Order it right to your house...how easy can it be?

BTW....Amsoil first since 1972.....Mobil, copy cat.
  • Options
    Lubriplate since 1870....

http://www.lubriplate.com/

This discussion has been closed.