Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petroleum or Synthetic oil for my pickup truck?

Comments

• I've never heard of 5W20. Check your oil cap or the owner's manual. My guess is that Ford recommends 5W30, but I'm not a Ford man, so I can't say for sure.
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    While yer-at-it, make sure yer running about 15 psi air pressure in yer tarz. Ford has always got to be different?? Go figure? Just don't make sense!
  • Oil cap and manual recommend 5W20! Very weird...
    I will probably use Mobile1 5W30 synthetic.

If I could figure out where to E-Mail a Ford engineer about this I would!
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I am not 100% sure about this - can't even recall where I heard it - so take it or leave it.

If you run lighter weight oil (5w20 VS 5w30) you will get a small increase in MPG. I heard Ford uses the 5w20 oil to improve MPG. Maybe someone who has used both oils can speak up.

I know when I use 10w30 in my Silverado (instead of 5w30) it lowers my mileage by almost 1 MPG - I plan to stick with the 5w30 per the owners manual
  • I have used Amsoil synthetics and their filters for over 11 years and would never consider anything else. Before I ever tried Amsoil I used Slick 50 in an '87 Merc Sable that had an electronic dashboard with a fuel economy computer built in. I was using Castrol 10W-40 and Fram filters. I was driving about 23,000 miles/year and was looking for an increase in gas mileage. The Slick 50 increased the milage from 25.9 mpg to about 26.5 mpg for the first 1,000 miles only. The milage dropped to about 26.0 mpg after that. The Slick 50 was $40/qt so I called Slick 50 to ask what happened. Their answer was that it works better in some car than in others. Needless to say I asked for my money back. Check out a site that did some research on Slick 50 type additives. Bottom line is a good motor oil doesn't need help. (Note the date here 1992.) http://www.bmwscruz.com/tech/tech003.html

About 5 months later I decided to try Amsoil's motor oil (10W-40) and filter. Gas mileage up to 27.0 mpg and did not drop. That's a 4% increase. So I tried Amsoil's auotmatic transmission fluid and it went up to 28.3 mpg, another 4% boost. I did not have any problems with leaving the oil in for 23,000 miles either.

The oil got dark but I had itchecked out with a company called Oil Analyzers, Inc.

Check out this site for an interseting, pretty much non-scientific look at oil filters. http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilters.html

• I have a 2001 2500 HD with the 8.1 with 900 miles on it. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 5W-30 at 700 miles. Now when I start it up cold the engine has a knocking sound, like a diesel (lifters?). It also has very high oil pressure, approx. 65 PSI when cold and at hwy speeds. Both the noise and the oil pressure seem to go away after about 5 minutes and the engine warms up. The oil pressure at idleafter warm up is approx. 45 PSI. I have written to Chevy and talked to the local dealer and they have been more than useless. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms.
  • I have a 2001 2500 HD with the 8.1 with 900 miles on it. I changed to Mobil 1 5W-30 at 700 miles. Now when I start it up cold, the engine has a knocking sound, like a diesel (lifters?). It also has very high oil pressure, approx. 65 PSI when cold and at hwy speeds. Both the noise and the oil pressure seem to go away after about 5 minutes and the engine warms up. The oil pressure at idle after warm up is approx. 45 PSI. I have written to Chevy and talked to the local dealer and they have been more than useless. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms.
  • minikinminikin Posts: 389
    kind of oil filter did you use?
    -- Don
  • arubawindarubawind Posts: 1
    I believe Amsoil may have one available in this weight. They carry a pretty wide selection. I've used their 5w30 in a 93 ranger and it performed great. Increased fuel mileage too. I put over 300,000 miles on that truck without any mechanical problems. I also used their Synthetic trans. fluid and rearend gear lube.
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Posts: 41
    Amsoil carries it, try www.koollube.com
  • first, chev's have an inherent bottom end knock when first starting, i believe if i understand it correctly they are using a different type of coated bearing. now, if your noise is valve train tapping during startup then i'd suggest to replace your filter. filters have a one way check valve which if they get dirt stuck in it or if your using a fram type filters (the worst for this problem) then you'll experience this. the oil will drain back down thus when you first start it, the pump has to pump it back up,whereas it normally would be sitting up there already.

as for the 5w20 issue on fords, they are using a sequence IIIe twice the normal for ensuring they have a quaility oil, which they don't want you to run anything more than just that. the big reason is CAFE, "corporate average fuel economy". the lighter the oil the less resistance giving you a better fuel effeciency. in honda's they state that if you don't have 5w20 you can substitute with 5w30. but to change back asap.

lets understand, the difference between 5w20 and 5w30 is they both start out as a 5w oil, with viscosity improvers put in that when it gets to a 100deg C. the oil will take on the charateristics of a 20 or 30w. when the oil gets into what is known as a shear zone, the oil will shear back to a 5w in those areas and lubricate the same in either case. so if you cannot find a 5w20 suitable for your needs and 5w30 will suffice.

hope that sheds some light on the subject.

bob in jville fl.
    www.bobistheoilguy.com
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    The 5-20 recommendation for the V10's would have no bearing on CAFE since the trucks they are installed in are exempt.

I've been told that the clearances are tighter on the motors negating the need for higher viscosity. Besides, with all the auto companies scrambling to squeeze every last mpg for CAFE, wouldn't they all just say run the lighter oil???
  • tc93tc93 Posts: 19
    To my knowledge, currently Amsoil is the only synthetic 5W20 available to the man on the street. Mobil and all the others will soon have theirs out there, too. Pennzoil and the Motorcraft brand oil are currently available 5W20 conventional oils.

My 2001 Civic owners manual says to use 5W20, and if 5W20 isn't available then 5W30 is acceptable, but to change back to the 5W20 "at the next oil change." It doesn't say to change back ASAP, but at the next oil change. The Honda recommended oil change intervals for "normal service" is 12 mos or 10,000 miles. Hmmm, what does that tell you? It tells me that the 5W20 recommendation is only to increase the CAFE ratings, not because of any changes to internal engine tolerances, etc.

That's my $.02 worth.
    Why does that tell you it's for CAFE????? Once you own your vehicle, the manufacturers could care less what MPG you're getting(as far as CAFE is concerned)

Again I'll repeat, The V10's at 8800+ GVW don't even have CAFE #'s.
    I think the reason the auto manufacturers are concerned about the CAFE is the fees they have to pay to the EPA, or some other federal agency, based on the CAFE numbers of the vehicles they manufacture - similar to the gas guzzler tax imposed on some vehicles. I THINK that's correct. It would seem, as modvptnl suggested, the manufacturers could care less about the MPG your vehicle is getting once the buyer signs on the dotted line.

Are you sure the manufacturer of the V10's in the 8800+ GVW vehicles recommend the 5W20 in those vehicles? I don't know. Further, are you sure those vehciles don't enter into the CAFE "calculation?" I don't know that either.
    Not only does the V10 Ford ( which I have owned 2)recommend 5-20 but please visit ANY big 2 + dodge dealership and witness why the trucks which are over 8800 GVW HAVE NO EPA FUEL ESTIMATES on the maroney(sp?) sticker.

I was also told on my '97 Cobra (4.6 DOHC 4 valve 7000 RPM motor that shares its heritage with the V10)by the dealer not to run over 30 wt. because of the smaller oil passages and tighter clearances. I mistakingly ran 5-50 on the Cobra's first oil change. The car received 2 oil changes in its first 1200 miles if for nothing but peace of mind.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    Not having problems reading the number on the can are we? hehe
    modvptnl - What do the owner's manuals for the big trucks say about what to do when/if 5W20 isn't available? Are the instructions similar to that of the Honda?
    Actually it was trouble reading the owners manual!! I used to think the wider the range in oil, the better. Realize now it's just more additives to the base stock that widens the gap. Sort of like stubborn people that use premium fuel when their vehicle runs fine on regular, thinking their getting some magical increase in performance. LOL!!

tc, the owners guide states;

"SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended. Only use oils "Certified for gasoline engines" by the American Petrol............."

Goes on to say not to use additives.....

No mention of an alternate wt. oil.
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    use petroleum and change it, with a good Fram or similar filter, often (every 3K or even SOONER if a lot of city cycle driving). buy the cheap stuff and run your vehicle 250 000 miles. UNLESS i live in a VERY COLD place, i wouldn't spend the money on 4 dollar per quart synthetic. you'd be better off spending the extra money on ExxonMobil stock ! they are the ones who are profitting from synthetics !
This discussion has been closed.