Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Petroleum or Synthetic oil for my pickup truck?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    Lubri-who.... WRONG ANSWER, we are talking synthetics.
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    You did go to the website Obyone posted didn't you ?? If you have not heard of Lubriplate then you must be a young one, it's been around for a long time.

Ray T.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Reread your statement....here in fact I'll copy and paste it for you...

"BTW....Amsoil first since 1972.....Mobil, copy cat.

Now do you state synthetic? Not that I can see. But lubriplate makes synthetic...do you know when they started? Not that it really matters since I believe we are talking about synthetic vs. dino.

AAAND, the bottom line is 1870 is 102 years before 1972 last time I checked my math.....
  • Options
    gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    When was lubrijunk synthetic API rated?
    Now you can check your math.

rayt2...yes I did....we are talkin synthetics, care less about dino oils.
  • Options
    Lubriplate is an ISO 9001/QS 9000 certified company.....what could that possibly tell you about them....hmmmmmm
  • Options
    amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    believe Amway sells a bottle of graphite additive for around 20 bucks. Love those 500,000 mile GM 350 engines. You know, the Chevy truck engines that were rubbed down with Arcographite or Molygraph oil in the 70's to survive to the present.

Don't foget to use OEM filters to cut down on filtering out all the graphite.
  • Options
    white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    If anyone is looking for cheapest place for mobil 1 . Walmart sells it in the 5 quart jug for about $17. By the way I use 5w30 in my 01' F-250, you just can'nt beat this oil. The truck runs, sounds & feels smoother. I'am sure the other fully synthetics do the same, but I like to stick with the major brands.
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I bought 7 quarts at Target today - $2.94 per quart. Walmart was selling it at the same price, but now they are back up to $4.24.

I did buy 2 extra PF 59 oil filters at Walmart - they just started stocking them. Must have been a 100 of them $2.73 each.

I now have a stock pile of 4 PF 59 filters and 14 quarts of Mobile 1 - both my chevy trucks just got changed so I should be set for 2002.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    ... a few holes where posts USED to be. Let's leave the "smack" off the boards, OK?

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• Options
    adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    Mobil invented synthetic oil in 1948. The fluid was used in aircraft and helped construct the Alaska pipeline (also went to the moon). They are the largest supplier of PAO's (polyalphaolefins), main ingredient in "true synthetic fluids" in the world. It is highly possible that Amsoil purchases their PAO's from Mobil. Amsoil was the first to offer syns in commercial vehicles. Note-I am not really knocking Amsoil. In fact if I find that Mobil 1 digresses to hydrocracked hydrocarbons the way Valvoline, Pennzoil and Syntec has I'll switch to Amsoil. There are by the way two publications published by SAE on the development of Mobil 1's Tri-Syn (Pub#'s 95126 and 98144) very objective and informative.

http://www.sae.org/servlets/search

• Options
    gm02gm02 Member Posts: 49
    I have a 02 Silverado due mid-Feb and I am sold on going w/Mobile 1 w/Pure One filter. Going to also make the chnge in my 99 Montana as both of these vehicles I want(hope) for at least the next 10/200K.

Spoke with a former GM service tech who now has his own shop about when to switch to synthetic.
    He mentioned not to make the chnge till at least 20K as you want the engine to be broken in. Not sure if I follow that, is this correct or what is considered the correct or best time to make the switch?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    I believe that to be an old wives tale. There are many high end cars that come from the factory(including GM's awesome Corvette) that run synthetic from the start.

I've always changed mine to synthetic at the first change(around 1000 miles) and have never had a problem.(current truck I've changed twice with dino-juice 'cause I can't find 5-20 synthetic)

I have read something interesting on the boat sites. It seems a guy fragged 2 cams during initial startup(you're supposed to run a motor at 2000-2500 RPMS on start up for 20 minutes to break in the cam.)

The cam manufacturer, after the second replacement, asked if he was using synthetic. The answer was yes. They went on to say that on flat tappet cams you should run dino for break in.

I don't believe any modern production motor uses a flat tappet cam( they're all rollers) and I don't know if this was just a story for the cam maker to save face.
  • Options
    bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    I got this from the Mobil 1 website under "Myths about synthetic oils"

You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to Mobil 1.
    The tighter tolerances and improved machining of today's engines have reduced the significance of the traditional engine break-in. Few manufacturers call for any special consideration. Since Mobil 1 is factory fill in Corvette, Viper, Porsche and other high-performance vehicles, engine break-in is obviously not an issue with current-generation vehicles.

If your engine is an older model that has been rebuilt, you may wish to follow the original engine break-in schedule. In this case, where you may be changing the oil after just a few hundred miles, you might want to use a conventional oil initially and switch to Mobil 1 once you have reached a mileage that permits longer oil drain intervals.
  • Options
    adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    I also agree with the above. I've used nothing but synthetic for years and in my latest Sentra I put it in at 30 miles. At 13K now oil stays very clean and uses zero oil.
  • Options
    gm02gm02 Member Posts: 49
    Very much appreciate the responses!! It will be synthetic at the 1000 mile chnge.
  • Options
    ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    Saltysack: Don't take any advise from Obyone. He is a complete idiot. This guy does not know how to use ABS, and thinks all trucks have the same Gear ratios and can all pull the same. So in his eyes a Kia can pull just as much as a 3500.

White250:I can't find the 5qt jug of Mobil 1 in any wal-mart I go to. Now this included Wal-Marts in FLA,Georgia,Alabama,Texas,California,Arizona,Oregon, and Washington state and Alaska. Could you have been mistaken about the brand or that maybe you are using a durablend??? All I can find and have been using is a 6PK case for about 25 bucks. I now have switched to Pennzoil w/Pennzane. But If you tell me what wal-mart you go to, I will call em up and have them place an order for my Anchorage store.
  • Options
    white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    I purchased mobil 1 at the Walmart's in Livonia Michigan around October. My local auto parts store sells it also but, it only comes in a 4 quart jug. Walmart had it for the same price ( about $17 ) for the 5 quart jug . When I go there I usually buy 3 or 4 jugs because the sell out very fast. Good luck !!!
  • Options
    Good oil...Arnold Palmer uses it in his tractor. Course the tractor is 40 years old....and what weight are you using...hope at least 40w cause you don't want to be burning no oil now do ya?
  • Options
    ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I have a '01 Chev. Silverado and do mostly short trips (5 miles to work one way, and average only about 2k miles in 4 months, less in summer) For the cost of synthetic, would I be just as well to use a regular oil and change more frequently since many times the engine doesn't get good and hot, especially in Wisconsin winters?
  • Options
    I have always used regular oil - changed it at 4 months or 3,000 miles. Which worked good for me because I average about 800 miles per month. I will admit to being a little bit of a fanatic about oil changes. Stopped at a Jiffy Lube once while on a road trip because I was at 2,995 miles since last change.

I just changed both my trucks over to M-1, (99 Silverado Z-71; 01 Tahoe) Silverado just hit 3,050 miles since last change.

I plan to let the maintenance computer tell me when it is time to change the oil. I expect to hit at least 5,000 miles between changes.
  • Options
    ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    Hummm a 40W??? Gosh now I know why your truck has so many problems. I run 10W in the summer and a 5W in the winter(Right now) Maybe if I drove alot of miles i would put a 20W in. But you probably use 15W designed for a diesel!!

250:I'll check around more but I have never got anyone to say they carry it in the jugs only in the 6Pk case!..
  • Options
    kurtendkurtend Member Posts: 2
    Can someone tell me the correct AC Oil filter for a Chevy 2001 2500HD 8.1L Engine is and what are some good alternatives. I am looking to switch this weekend to Mobile One. What Grade is highly used for Michigan weather. Thanks.
  • Options
    morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    I asked a manager about this & he said its a promotional item that they get in whenever they can get them. In MD, I've seen them at 17.88 but always seems like they are sold out of 5-30 & have only 15-50 left on an end-cap display. Each Walmart has its own pricing & I've been paying 3.60/qt. - the best I can find. I just found out our local Walmarts are discontinuing the AC oil filters to make room for the Walmart brand oil filters.

RICSCH - I consider those short trips to be more severe service that long-distance highway miles - and more reason to use synthetic.
  • Options
    Local Walmart just got in the AC Delco PF-59 filter used in my Silverado, they had a whole shelf of them (PF-59's) only $2.73 each so I bought 4 of them.

Why would anyone buy a Walmart oil filter? If I can buy the filter the manufacturer recommends for under $3.00 - I would not use a Walmart filter if they gave it to me for free.

BTW - Target has had M-1 on sale for $2.74 per quart for months - only problem is they take it out of the case - so you have to buy individual bottles.
  • Options
    ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    If I were to use synthetic, how long between oil changes could I go, with only putting on so few miles as I stated above?
  • Options
    zr2randozr2rando Member Posts: 391
    The AC filters are not the same depending on where you get them, Walmart and Kmart are NOT the same,,,you may want to take a look and compare because there is a difference. The Walmart house brand seems to be actually a good alternative once you really check them out. You may be surprised at all the things that are different,,,they just use the same color paint for the outside is all sometimes..
    Just be forewarned..
    Rando
  • Options
    So Delco makes two different PF-59 filters? One for Walmart - one for K-Mart? What about the PF-59 you buy at Autozone is it different from the PF-59 NAPA carries? What about the PF-59 that gets installed if I get my oil changed at the Chevy dealer? Must be a conspiracy!!! LOL
  • Options
    morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    I've never had your situation with so few miles driven in 4 months. Most folks say change oil every 4 months if you don't reach 3000 or 4000. The added cost is negligable considering the added protection of synthetic with your high number of cold engine starts. I change mine every 4000 miles, which I do every 10 weeks. I have a lot of highway driving, no stop & go, no traffic jams & idling, so my service is far less severe than your driving. My commute is 43 miles one-way, but has only 2 stop signs and its all highway after the first 2 miles of warm-up.

BTW, this is what can be so deceptive about used vehicle shopping - would you rather buy the truck that has 30000 miles put on it all on the highway at 55 - 60 mph, or one driven stop & go for fewer miles, say 20000 miles? Short trips are severe service - go with synthetic.
  • Options
    I use the AC-pf52 and the pf43, you have to check to make sure the pf59 is the same way.
    I know my Chevy dealer used a pf52 in their shop that was identical to the Walmart version. I'm not sure about the Napa or Autozone versions, never got one there..
    Just be aware there are multiple manufacturers for what we thought were made by one company.
    Wix makes the Napa/Castrol/Penske is another example,,,,,the pf59 are newer than the others so there may be fewer manufacturers right now, you'd have to check though.
    Good luck
    Rando
  • Options
    Made me start thinking about the difference in the filters, they were alot more different than I thought. I have a couple of the used filters for the Chevy out in the Garage and I just checked them....
    WOW!
    3 filters:
    Castrol Plus Kmart Ac-pf52 Wmart Ac-pf52
    cart length 3 11/16 4 3/16 4 0/16
    pleat depth 10/16 13/16 8/16
    2 sides each pleat...
    number of pleats 47 36 61
    sq inches of paper 216 244 244

The castrol plus had noticeably thicker material
    carton says synthetic blend, and the pleats showed compression strain..curved..(tension spring in can too strong.
    see ya
    Rando
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Stick w/the AC/Delco filter listed in your owners manual, you can't go wrong there. Synthetic oil is owners choice, I have always used good ole dino juice and never had any problems, however GM does use Mobil 1 in the Corvettes from the factory.

Ray T.
  • Options
    gmengineman1gmengineman1 Member Posts: 32
    I have used synthetic oils and gear lubricants successfully since 1988. I own a 1 ton 4 X 4 pickup that has over 200,000 miles on it and I don't foresee any problems yet. The only thing I do is change my engine oil every 5,000 miles (or 90 days) and I change my automatic transmission fluid every year. Very happy so far. Products used? Royal Purple from Texas.
    Norm
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Just a reminder that the Town Hall chat is tonight (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). Hope you can join us tonight, April 3rd, when our topic will be:

Engine sludge got you down?

Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• Options
    Been using Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic 5W-30 since truck was new. Change every 4-5,000 mi. Last change at 51,000 showed i had burned a qt. I switched to Mobil 1 SUPERSYN 10W-30. I will monitor oil usage. Truck runs great. Has some aftermarket mods. Truck is driven daily, 95%
    highway with occasional towing. I service the tranny every 30,000. Weakest link. So far so good. Was concerned about burning 1 qt for first time. Have driven at high speeds. I want to keep truck. May purchase another (Dodge Ram hemi maybe.)

Regards to all truck loving people...
  • Options
    doliver3doliver3 Member Posts: 2
    we ran a test in 82 with 2 new motorcycles both air cooled both with less than 6,000
    miles on them..... down though Death Valley with temp at 120 degrees.
    The one running regular oil was down a quart at end of the day, the bike I road
    was down "0". I've used it in my trucks & cars ever since. AS a minor point,
    that bike I road ran moble 1 after the 1st 700 miles, filter changes every 3,000,
    oil change every 5000. At 22000 miles battery went dead, engine compression was
    still so high we could not get enough traction on rear wheel to push start it.
    Bike would still hit 150+ mph on the track. .
  • Options
    mdecampsmdecamps Member Posts: 115
    I'm interested in hearing your results from the new SuperSyn, so please do post them here when you find out. There is some speculation (and only that) that the SuperSyn is inferior to the TriSynthetic. Mobil, however states that it is "the best Mobil 1 ever." I want to see how it compares. By the way, what weight are you using?
  • Options
    Mark,

Using 5W-30. Have read many posts on Pro/Con of the new Mobil 1. It is starting to heat up here in So. Ca. I live near desert. May switch to 10W-30 for summer. Also changed oil on wife's vehicle (AZTEK GT 3.4 V6). 3rd change at 10,000 mi with new M1 and Mobil 1 filter (AC PF52 equiv). After 4000 mi, oil was dark (Tri-Syn).

Have used the Pennzoil w/Pennzane. They recommend 3,000 mi changed for severe service. That is a costly situation. I knew Pennzoil spent over 200 million to re-formulate and
    improve their lube products. Pennzane was used in space by NASA. Most vehicles will never make it to the moon. Please forgive sarcasm, was being weary of their advertisment of a astronaut on bottle of Pennzoil. I want to keep my vehicles longer, it is getting tough to keep up with the young people and their hunger for new vehicle ever few years.

Will post results on new Mobil 1 soonest.

Regards,

Andy
    Babyboomer hotrodder circa mid 60's (Muscle car era).
  • Options
    Mark,

Using 10W-30 in my pick-up and 5W-30 in wife's vehicle. My truck has 52,500 miles. Oil level same, oil still lite honey color. I will monitor oil usage if any and change at 55K. I have driven my truck at ultra high speeds at times. Of course i perform ultra maintenance ie filters,
    tranny service, oil/lube changes frequently myself. I have the Helm repair manuals and
    do everything less the electrical/electronic issues that may come up. There are 3 mechanics living in my cul-de-sac. So am covered if any assistance is needed. Neighbor has computer
    module plug in to check all codes if "Check engine" lite comes on. Am lucky.

Regards to all vehicle lovers

Andy
  • Options
    mdecampsmdecamps Member Posts: 115
    Andy,

Thanks for keeping me posted. I truly believe that only an oil analysis will tell the true story of an oil. A lot of people are trashing the SuperSyn, but I have a good feeling about it.....we'll see.
This discussion has been closed.