Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• Options
    ohblutoohbluto Member Posts: 7
    Heard today about a Ford deisel recall and am wondering if anyone knows if my truck falls under the category.....it's a 2004 F-350 6.0 dually and falls down to idle while driving in traffic, parking lots...doesn't matter where the throttle's at....the accelerator pedal does nothing until it's restarted. I can put it in "neutral" in traffic, shut it down and start it again while coasting and be OK for a while until the next time (3 times a day at least). . In the mean time on Monday, I'll call the dealer to see what kind of "story" I can get out of them.....Anyone know anything, please help.

Doug in NY
  • Options
    ricky16ricky16 Member Posts: 10
    HOW TO CHECK GLOW PLUGS ON 1995 7.3
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    scroll up a little to post 204... the recall is only for the 7.3L Powerstrokes through 2003.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    johnminnjohnminn Member Posts: 52
    He needs to look under there and see if he has a catalytic converter. BIG problem with thieves stealing them right on the dealers lot. Big bucks to replace them. Could be that his catalytic converter was replaced with a piece of straight pipe.
    I have seen that same black tailpipe on vehicles where the catalytic converter had been removed.
    Cowboy: I am Not familiar with 2008 yet, just heard about some tacky problems. Does the 2008 still have a supplemental air source for the catalytic converter?
  • Options
    wilson5957wilson5957 Member Posts: 2
    Fascinating. I have been taking my 99 7.3 into various Ford Dealerships for the past couple of years about this stalling problem. Last visit was in September 07 and they claimed they had no clue what my problem could be. I went ahead and had the cam sensor replaced despite their claim that it was fine. Wonder if they will want to pony up for my bill?
  • Options
    colt1872colt1872 Member Posts: 1
    I started my 2000 F250. It has a 7.3 die. I started the truck and then it stalled due top being below 32 deg. I turned the igition back on. When the engine wait to start light went out the wipers started operating. The dash lights also started flashing. I thought i had a bad battery. Headlights work, cleaned terminals stiill the same.
  • Options
    jfarrowjfarrow Member Posts: 7
    I love you guys. I have been fighting Ford over problems with the GEM for my '99 F250 Diesel the last few months and today it started stalling as I was going down the road. I thought it was probably more GEM related stuff and wasn't going to take it in because Ford no longer has the GEM I need and I thought why waste my time and drive my blood pressure even higher. Looks like I can at least get this fixed. :D
  • Options
    desmo1desmo1 Member Posts: 26
    This may be ancient history but tonight I was trying to find out about the new 2009 F-150 diesel and found out that Navistar is suing Ford for millions of dollars over the new Lion V8 Ford plans to build. Maybe that is why the 6.4 is having problems.....
  • Options
    The most common cause for these "what the over" type problems is grounding.
    For a number of reasons, including radio noise reduction, I add grounding straps.
    Yes, I know that the original equipment has grounding, but I have never found it to be adequate for DEPENDABLE performance. I add another ground strap from the engine to the frame. I add a ground strap from the frame to the cab. I also add a braided copper strap going from the hood hinge chassis mounting bolt to the hinge's hood mounting bolt. That strapping helps keep computer and control signals from showing up in my various radios.
    When installing these grounds, I coat the spots where I am making the connection with anti corrosion paste (yea, I know it can be messy). For example: The connection "stack" is - chassis hole, paste, star washer, grounding strap, star washer, nut.
  • Options
    Indeed! It would seem reasonable that they would fix that under warranty or their own warranty. It would seem reasonable to assume that if the problem showed up during the warranty period, that problem would stay on warranty until it was corrected. Don't hold your breath, I would hate to see you turn blue. Try this for a chance in finding yourself some help. In your search engine enter .gov lemon law (note the period in front of gov).

Happy hunting.
    John
  • Options
    cayadopicayadopi Member Posts: 12
    Maybe algae in the tank is clogging the fuel filter.

I have algae in my tanks, so I don't let my fuel level drop too low. If I do accidently, I quickly switch to the other fuel tank and press the accelerator to get fuel to the engine fast before it dies.
  • Options
    caribemancaribeman Member Posts: 3
    Hello, my name is Teodoro Viera and I have a 2005 tundra. I change my oil and the dealer wants me to come in to reset the service light and charge me for it. I know there is a code that you do in the radio that resets that light, do you Know it?
    Thanks
  • Options
    I am wondering why you are not running a fuel conditioner?
    In the first place, these ultra low sulfur fuels have VERY little lubricity.
    I won't run without it.

I even use Howes in my heating fuel so that I don't get in trouble there.
    Prior to using Howes, my tank filter would get covered with brown "slime" in short order.

John
  • Options
    ohc666ohc666 Member Posts: 1
    Do you have a part number or the part name for this, my dealers service dept doesn't know what I'm talking about :confuse:
  • Options
    lv2hntlv2hnt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 powerstroke and this mornig the alternator guage looks like it is running very low.... when i rev the motor a little it comes up to normal. I looks like the glow plug relay is stuck on???? Is this a common problem??
  • Options
    wig2012wig2012 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone, I was wondering who could tell me what the problem is with my truck. I was traveling when it just died, I thought I was out of fuel or it gelled but i put additive and filled the tank and now it runs for a few minutes and then shuts down, any ideals what this could be??
  • Options
    Yes i have the same problem!! Did you get it fixed? or do you know the problem yet??
  • Options
    cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    Well pretty sure its the Cam Sensor, check with your local dealer though because they are recalling them from 97 to 03, have them run you VIN number to see if it's in there computer if not just have them do it and they will tell you the same thing and you will be getting a letter in the mail soon for it.

Cowboy
  • Options
    Thanks alot Cowboy I will give the a call before i have towed to them, thanks again
  • Options
    lynard007lynard007 Member Posts: 10
    have a 6.0 that started blowing anti fz at 97000 miles one dealer said it needed head gaskets another said nothing was wrong the 3rd dealer said it needed head gaskets also but im 101300 miles now and ford does not want to cover it does anyone know how I should handle this 3000.00 dollar one ???? ford is givin me the run around
  • Options
    hollywood7hollywood7 Member Posts: 1
    94 powerstroke, well maintained, banks git kit, new turbo, new valve cover gaskets and injector/glow plug harnesses, new water pump, thermostat, oil/fuel/air filter just changed, new glow plugs, rear main, oil pan welded up and re sealed, etc,etc. 235,000 miles on engine. Starts cold great, gets to operating temp, shut it off, it will turn over all day til batteries are dead, but won't start. Leave it for an hour or more approx., starts and runs, someone mentioned putting a small aux. electric fuel pump in line hot with key low pressure??? any ideas?
  • Options
    craig37craig37 Member Posts: 5
    Merry Christmas,
    The first spot they checked on my 2000 350 was the yellow lever that drains the fuel filter, he raised it then lowered it , and I`ll darned if that didnt fix it , I just wonder how many drips , gallons I lost , I got whole lot better milage needlesss to say, Good luck to you
    Craig
  • Options
    craig37craig37 Member Posts: 5
    I just heard today12-21-07 that Ford is offering a warranty for the power train and fuel system until the last day of this year 2007 and are not going to offer it up again next year , the cost is $1300 .00 and it will cover your vehicle to 200,000 miles, I think thats a bargain, better move quick if your going to hang onto your truck, Good luck
    Craig
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
  • Options
    loren2loren2 Member Posts: 9
    Please send me any information you have on this ! MY Ford 6.4 just quit on the freeway after blowing white smoke !! The dealer I took my truck to (AC Collins Ford) is testing my fuel saying it smells funny and amber in color ! I have NEVER put Bio-Diesel in my truck! And now Ford is trying to find fault with me !!! I do know the have a new TSB7-26-2 that deals with the high pressure fuel pump. Any info is appeciated !
  • Options
    Please send me any information you have on this ! MY Ford 6.4 just quit on the freeway after blowing white smoke !! The dealer I took my truck to (AC Collins Ford) is testing my fuel saying it smells funny and amber in color ! I have NEVER put Bio-Diesel in my truck! And now Ford is trying to find fault with me !!! I do know the have a new TSB7-26-2 that deals with the high pressure fuel pump. Any info is appeciated !
  • Options
  • Options
    dannosdannos Member Posts: 7
    Join the club. My 2008 did the same exact thing when I had less than 500 miles. It took them a week to determine that it was two (2) injectors, numbers 2 & 8. Their excuse was that the engine was sooooooooooo new that they had not become familiar with the 6.4. You also need to check when your truck was made. If it was made between Jan and May 31,2007, Ford had all the dealers replace injectors 1,5,7 before they could even sell the truck. Isn't interesting that they said they had to replace 2 & 8 on my truck. Unfortunately, my truck was manufactured between Jan and May. Now my truck's exhaust looks like an old sick Peterbuilt that leaves the exhaust pipe black with soot. Ford says it's because they had to replace 2 & 8 and it might have poured a lot of fuel into the exhaust system. 8000 miles ago!!!!!!!!! Ford needs to own up to the lemon they are producing. I should have bought a Chevy.
  • Options
    thanks a bunch man. This is rediculus ! I have taken my fuel sample to an independant lab for testing to cover my rear and those results are due back today. Yes my truck was an early 2008 year model. no one has mentioned the replacement of injectors before. interesting. I know of a recent high pressure fuel pump gasket problem recently bbut thats about it.
  • Options
    bcrossbcross Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody had the radiator plastic bottle overflow with diesel fuel?? Head gasket, possiblly? Truck seeems to run ok and does not overheat. Any suggestions.
  • Options
    Smell it. Diesel coolant in my '04 PSD is brown. Maybe it's just excess coolant from an overfill,not fuel. Good Luck!
  • Options
    canvasbackcanvasback Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 f350 crew cab 7.3 ltr srw xlt pickup........It has a intermittent electrical glitch that is driving me nuts. The guages, except the tach and speedo, peg out randomly (seems to be more prevelant in heat then cold and sometimes in rain but not often). I also notice that sometimes the windows are slow to move up or down and always the passenger side rear door power lock just bumps but does not go all the way either direction. took it to the dealer and as expected no trouble found. Any help? One friend said module but this has been going on now for three years and I am sick of ignoring it and another shop is worse then the dealer I took it to. I do all preventive maintanence myself and have been taking care of all my vehicles since my first 78 bronco. thanks
  • Options
    I have found this site to be easier than fords site.
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/navrecalltsb.html
  • Options
    Intermittent "curious" electrical problems are VERY commonly a ground connection problem.

Make sure that the cab to chassis and cab to engine grounds are good.
    As I explained before, I add a braided copper strap from chassis to cab and another from engine to chassis.If that doesn't solve your problem, you are not out much time or money, and you have probably cut out "bouncing Betty" type problems from happening in the future.
    Bouncing Betty - My terminology for those "curious" electrical failures that "blow your mind" because they change depending on things like being in drive or having the door open. Don't laugh, I have seen both of those. Enough to cause the brain to disengage.
  • Options
    Same old C___. Blame everything but the real problem!
    In the case of a product such as lubricants and fuels, you might save a few bucks by contacting the company you buy those products from. They don't like having their name drug through the mud, and will get a bit "hostile" with the company who tries to pull that stunt.
    For example: A farmer had one of those JD tractors which used the engine block as part of the frame. Engine running at full throttle. A hard bounce or a tow out of the mud just might flex the block enough to .blow the engine. JD said that there was no warranty because he had used Conklin oil in his engine. Conklin found out about it, bought the farmer a brand new tractor and took his dead tractor. They then sued JD and proved in court that their oil met or exceeded JD oil on every spec. JD coughed up the money.
  • Options
    Sounds like the EGR cooler tube is cracked.
    Some of the pro's think that the turbine control is the culprit in that it will spike the pressure periodically.
    The EGR cooler was what caused my problem.
  • Options
    billybugbillybug Member Posts: 8
    Ford is well aware of coolant overflow problems!! There is a recall that puts a new decal on the bottle. Just nonsense. The problem seems to be weak head studs that allow the head gaskets to blow out. I have a F-350, 2005 w 17,000 miles. Just got my new head gaskets compliments of Ford. This is after they replaced intercooler, turbcharger, and assorted gadgets!

Bill
  • Options
    I have looked high and low for an answer to the head gasket blowing problem.
    The best I have found so far is from a racing group who have a special set of head bolts available.
    A bit spendy though.

I did go to the Navistar site to find answers, but they were worthless.
    I looked for recalls under the lemon law, but nothing there either.
    I did file a complaint with the Federal Government on this asking for them to get involved and thereby get Fords attention. Nothing back yet.
    One engineer told me that they wondered if the short spike in turbo pressure might be a part of the problem. He came to the same conclusion you and I have in that he too thought there was no excuse for the "bouncing" heads and figured that the head bolts were a possible answer, but he was still concerned about the turbo pressure spikes they had found.
  • Options
    brenovationbrenovation Member Posts: 1
    have a 6.0 with 96000 and here latley when i crank it cold it runs ruff untill it warms up, and then its fine, don't want to have to plug a cord in every where i go. anyone know whats happening ?
  • Options
    akers23akers23 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1999 f-350 super cab 4x4 diesel 7.3.the truck has 103,000.the truck seems to have a little shake while in park and when i am driving below about 2,000 rpm it will shake and feel like its choked out.i did air filter and the fuel filter along with injector cleaner.if im going 60,70,80 mph no problem but 5 to 50 mph if i put a little down force on the gas pedal it shakes and loses power until the rpm come up. please help
  • Options
    cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    Sure sounds like what mine was doing, check to see if the Butterfly on the turbo exhaust is opening all the way, you will have to have someone push down on the fuel for you while you watch on the left side under the turbo and see if it opens, if it's not opening there is a plug on the front side of the turbo under the intake which is going to be hot if the truck has been running so be cafeful and reach under there and unplug it, if you unplug that wire if the ( not sure of the letters on this ) PBE or something like that, if it's bad and you unplug that the turbo butterfly should open all the way. Also while you are checking on them look around your Turbo pipes to see if there is any black exhaust smoke build up on any joints, exhaust by passing the turbo will cause that as well.
  • Options
    yomanracingyomanracing Member Posts: 1
    Was this a ford deal,or did the dealer swap them out.Ihave one with 73900,and have lost a #5 and it was made in feb,07.Dealer is telling me they know nothing of the injector 1,5,7 deal. :sick:
  • Options
    thanks i will check that out.if you remember anything else please hit me back
  • Options
    If i unplug that wire can i leave it unpluged or do i have to replace something?is that plug a sensor?i do not have a engine light on.how open should it be?when i check it?and how do i fix that problem?thanks again MIKE
  • Options
    coopfordtechcoopfordtech Member Posts: 4
    i think you might have a weak injector or 2, check fuel filters also
  • Options
    rustngreeserustngreese Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 02, 7.3 after installing a larger exhaust and intake. I talked to a guy that told me to go with the 3 1/2" down pipe from the turbo and 4" from there back. (I had heard this from more than one source). I was told about the problem with low end power loss due to lack of back pressure. I took the advice and also put a AFE Stage II intake on my truck. Since doing all of this I have lost 1 to 2 MPG and gained a little power. I was reading in Diesel Power Magazine that some combinations of exhaust systems and intakes can cause back pressure problems. I will be doing further investigation to see if there is a remedy. If you did a 4" Turbo Back system, maybe you should investigate a smaller down pipe. I am frustrated as I was hoping to get a little better mileage. I'll keep you posted on what I find out. Randy
  • Options
    superduty3superduty3 Member Posts: 11
    have 04 f-350 6.0 loosing coolant, not leaking. no upgrades do not tow anything more than 4-wheelers. started noticing at 110000 miles. i just moved used all savings to move. has anybody tried bars stop leak, temp fix till get job and money? and also what about changing from head bolts to head studs? has anybody replaced head gaskets themselves, worked on many gas motors, this is 1st diesel. thanks
  • Options
    Tough break. I used bars many years ago. I wouldn't use it in an expensive diesel motor. Check the dipstick. Is your motor oil clouded and milky colored? If it is not, then the coolant is not getting into the crankcase. That's all I can think of. Maybe someone else will chime in with more helpful info. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Since I have owned my 2008 Ford truck over the last 3 months:

I noticed a certain lack of take-off power and sometimes a split-second sputter at 65-70 mph that only happens sometimes and no warning lights ever illuminated on the dash cluster. I did receive a “water in Fuel” warning 4 weeks prior to engine failure ,in which, I promptly drained from the ford supplied valve under the drivers side frame. The light went off . I have also noticed a high idle until I depress the brake and the idle returns to low idle until you remove your foot from the brake and it again returns to high idle. I have also NEVER received info from the instrument cluster as to ANY regen of the particulate filter.

There are several TSB’s that im aware of .

TSB 07-26-2 was issued on December 13th 2007 that sounds a lot like my problems.

And a new Fuel Tank Contamination problem concerning vents on these tanks!

On the Friday December 14th 2007 I was driving (65mph) my truck home from Christmas shopping when it started to sputter for approximately 45-50 seconds. Then WHITE smoke flooded out the rear of my truck followed by the shutdown of the vehicle. I coasted to the side of the road where the truck motor would turn over but NOT start. I then had the truck towed to AC Collins Ford since it was close to where I broke down . It was then the following Tueday the 18th that the service advisor (Robert) asked me many question about where I bought my Fuel , When was the last fill-up, Who did I buy the truck from , Did I put any additives in the Tank , Did I buy High or Low sulfur Diesel, and then he informed me that he was going to have a fuel analyzed !

On 12/19/07 In a meeting with The service manager ( Dave Evans ) he informed my that he believes My High Pressure Fuel Pump has failed and is out and if so then he believes that my injectors are also out. He then stated to me that the Fuel was Amber in color and had a smell to it. And that he was required to send the fuel off for testing. He stated he was trying to find a company to do analysis of my fuel . I explained that there was no fault of mine and that I only buy fuel at Shell, Exxon, Valero, Chevron ONLY and that at 9,000 miles my truck most surely should be under warranty and surely Ford dose not recommend all owner carry a test kit around to make sure your getting only a certain diesel (free of bio-diesel / water / dirt) that works in a ford truck ?!

On 12/24/07 My service advisor Robert informed me that it would be after the 1st of the year until they would have my fuel analyzed.

On 12/26/07 I had My fuel tested at my expense for $350 ! the results were there was NO bio-diesel in my fuel !

On 12/28/07 after having no answer to when Ford would have their fuel sample results, I decided to move my truck from AC Collins ( a bill of $150 to AC Collins and a $100 tow ) to Reliance Ford (281-867-2500) in La Porte. Reliance Ford is now telling my that there is water in my fuel cooler and dirt in my filter. Or as they like to say “a contamination! “ . I did not get a “water in fuel” warning light. And as I have said many times If I had water in my fuel cooler then there should be water in my water separator with a warning light !!! That’s about as elementary as ABC’s. Now I get a 7500.00 bill for something I did nothing wrong!

On 12/31/07 in from of Ricky (Reliance Ford Service Advisor) and in front of Ronnie (Reliance Ford Service Manager) to prove that if there was water in my fuel pump and fuel cooler then the Fuel Light Indicator would and should be illuminated at this moment (which it was not) and there would be at this moment water at the lowest point (at the Water separator) . I then asked the advisor and the service manager for a clean glass container and drained approximately 12 oz. into this container and showed them their was no measurable amount of water to cause what they claim.

I decided to pay an additional $200 to have a water analysis of this sample that I removed from my truck. And the results were 200ppm which is very low, practically zero.

I have been trying to get FORD Tech Support and Customer relations to call me back since before Christmas thru today!

I have called Heather (Ford Customer Care Solutions Team Manager For The Southwest Market) many times over the past 3-4 weeks with no return phone call. I left many many messages on her voice mail.

I have been with out a vehicle since 12/14/07 ! And "FORD REFUSED " to warranty its trucks at 9,000 miles due to this claim of water in my fuel ! This is ROBBERY ! $50,000 for a truck with no warranty !

And after further review Ill never buy another Ford !
  • Options
    WOW. That sucks. But before you buy another brand, check out some Dodge and GM message boards and discussions. I think you will find bad apples in all brands.