Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura Owners Club - Meet the Members

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    And basically sounds like the RDX drivetrain. In a lighter more efficient car, should be plenty fine!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stickguy said:

And basically sounds like the RDX drivetrain. In a lighter more efficient car, should be plenty fine!

I think you’re right. Should be really good in the TLX application.

Also read that the TLX outsells the ILX and RLX combined. No surprise with the RLX as that hasn’t been competitive for quite some time. I did find it a bit surprising it outsold the ILX as the TLX is more expensive.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    It’s a lot nicer car though. I still think they will soon come out with a new ILX that will be a hatch style to compete with the X2, etc.

• Options
    gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106

I agree about the two screens. Not sure why there was the original hand wringing over them. I like the way they work. Nav on one, Entertainment on the other. To me, it’s a clever way of displaying a lot of information on something other than split screens.

is the lower screen controlled by touch only? I prefer not to use touch while driving, I understand the know just controls the top screen

• Options
    lower screen is the radio and HVAC. there are buttons for the climate (though some are on the touch screen, but still buttons). Radio has volume knob I know, but I think the rest is touch, but set up like normal radio buttons so really no difference. I never touch it though when driving. Just use the steering wheel controls or if you want can voice command it.

• Options
    stickguy said:

lower screen is the radio and HVAC. there are buttons for the climate (though some are on the touch screen, but still buttons). Radio has volume knob I know, but I think the rest is touch, but set up like normal radio buttons so really no difference. I never touch it though when driving. Just use the steering wheel controls or if you want can voice command it.

Yeah....I don’t even use much of the voice controls. Mostly use the buttons on the steering wheel as that’s most conveniently for me.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited April 2020
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp32067802/acura-tlx-type-s-confirmed-2021/

The article says "The standard TLX will arrive first with a starting price in the mid-$30,000 range." The current TLX starts at 34k, and with the new base model getting turbo power that will make it as powerful as the current V-6 (which starts at $37k) it'll be almost like the TLX is getting a small price cut. I was thinking the 2.0 turbo would have lower mpg than the current 2.4 engine, but actually the epa rating on the Accord 2.0 with the ten speed auto is the same as the TLX with the 2.4—27 mpg combined. I think the new model looks good too....

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Well...this topic sort of died. Wonder if I'm the first with a 2021 TLX.....

• Options
    Congrats again on your new TLX!

I'm still enjoying my 2018 TLX 2.4 Tech, seen here a few months ago...

• Options
    benjaminh said:

Congrats again on your new TLX!

I'm still enjoying my 2018 TLX 2.4 Tech, seen here a few months ago...

Thanks. Loved my 1st get TLX.
  • Options
    I miss my TLX. It was a nice car. I just don’t miss having a second car I don’t need, but was paying for!

Your TLX is same color as my RDX, same basic interior (dash, center stack). Just much brighter color. But looks really sharp on an A spec.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I miss my TLX. It was a nice car. I just don’t miss having a second car I don’t need, but was paying for!

Your TLX is same color as my RDX, same basic interior (dash, center stack). Just much brighter color. But looks really sharp on an A spec.

But you still own your RDX. You're still part of the club.
  • Options

@graphicguy : How are things going with your new TLX?

• Options

@benjaminh said:

@benjaminh said:

Good…really well, actually. Huge difference in the new version from my previous 2018. Better handler and much more refined ride. Very polished. Learning curve is a little steep on the tech, but I’m getting used to it and it’s making sense, now.

Amazed at how well the 2.0T and 10-speed work seamlessly together. Honda finally made a good transmission. 2.0T has the good torque down low, VTEC picks up at higher RPMs. Built well…even the doors closing sounds expensive.

I really don’t see the need for the upcoming S-Type. Of course, I’m saying that without having driven the S-Type, yet.

Very nice job by Acura. Very pleased.

• Options

I thought the DCT on my TLX was excellent. I like the feel on those (my Elantra had one too) better than most regular automatics. Probably because more like a manual!

• Options

@stickguy said:
    I thought the DCT on my TLX was excellent. I like the feel on those (my Elantra had one too) better than most regular automatics. Probably because more like a manual!

I had heard that DCT was excellent!

• Options

Too bad they threw it away. Not used on anything now.

• Options

@stickguy said:
    Too bad they threw it away. Not used on anything now.

Guessing a cost issue. They’re using the 10-speed in a lot of models, now. I would imagine they’re trying to recoup some of the development costs. That said, the DCT wasn’t in production that long. Too expensive to produce? Who knows?

• Options
    edited May 2021

That's great the the TLX is such a good car so far. I hope Acura has success with it. Pure luxury, performance, and style. Does it seem better put together and engineered than the Stinger? Didn't the Stinger have one of those "don't park it in your garage" warnings? Has that been resolved? Weird that the rear visibility was so poor in the Stinger, since I couldn't quite tell it was that bad just from looking at pix of the exterior.

Anyway, Acura is still using the 8-speed DCT on the old ILX, and maybe they'll use it on the replacement for that car as well? And if Honda ever puts an auto in the Civic Si the DCT would make sense there too.

I do actually use my paddle shifters once in a while, and the shifts are lighting-fast. Although the new TLX is no doubt better in many ways, my already old school TLX does have some features I like that aren't available on the new one, like 4-wheel steering, the 8-speed DCT, rear windows that roll down all the way, a handy hidden storage area in my trunk for my bike helmet, tire pump, and a sweater, plus c.38 mpg on the highway. The gas tank on my car is another nice feature, because at 17.2 gallons it was designed to be big enough for the V-6 models with sh-awd, but with my K-series engine that gives a range of about 600 miles on the highway.

PS I like the looks of the red on silver speedometer and tach on the new TLX.

• Options

I will say, not to insult any of the BMW lovers in the other threads, the 2.0T is in every way a better engine than the 2.0T in the 330i I test drove. It's smoother. It makes better "sounds". It's torquier. All around better. And, that car was about $8K more than my TLX.

• Options

A preview of the TLX Type S....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELprnhobgLk

• Options

@benjaminh said:
    A preview of the TLX Type S....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELprnhobgLk

Watched that last night. Be interesting to see how the performance numbers match up to my previous Stinger. Give Acura credit, my A-Spec handles better than the Stinger did, and is more comfortable.

• Options
    Another preview of the new TLX Type S....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wRvQXKqG1Q
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Acura is tied with Lexus for the lowest cost of service for all luxury brands, although I don't know where this $30 comes from. My dealer charges a pretty reasonable $45 for a synthetic oil change service, which is about the same as my local Honda dealer. Seems like a good deal. But $30?
    https://www.autonews.com/service/honda-ranks-no-1-lowest-total-cost-service-2021-analysis-says
  • Options
    benjaminh said:

Acura is tied for Lexus for the lowest cost of service for all luxury brands, although I don't know where this $30 comes from. My dealer charges a pretty reasonable $45 for a synthetic oil change service, which is about the same as my local Honda dealer. Seems like a good deal. But $30?
    https://www.autonews.com/service/honda-ranks-no-1-lowest-total-cost-service-2021-analysis-says

Nice graph....one of the reasons I keep coming back to Acura. They cost little to maintain and operate.

Kind of surprised about Lexus. I thought they'd be higher than Acura.
  • Options
    Same. Wrench come on, and depending on current coupon, $30-50 for oil change, and sn extra $20 if due for tire rotation too.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Same. Wrench come on, and depending on current coupon, $30-50 for oil change, and sn extra $20 if due for tire rotation too.

That’s right around what I was paying on my previous TLX. I don’t expect this one to be any different.
  • Options
    As mentioned, I'm going to buy out my TLX, but in an alternate universe where I was getting the new TLX type S this is what it might look like....

• Options
    Driving the track in the TLX type S. Looks fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB7g_NC-g3Q
  • Options
    If I was getting another TLX, almost definite it would be the base motor. Lot cheaper, and plenty powerful for me. Can even get AWD if you really want it. But they have a few options I really want in the advance package, and that gets pricey!

• Options
    Yeah. Honestly my current 2018 TLX 2.4 non-turbo is sometimes enough to get close to getting me into trouble. It's already slightly faster than the fastest BMW 2002 was way back when. That's fast enough for me. And in Sport mode I sometimes squeal the front tires without trying to, and so I sometimes kick it back into normal mode.
    https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/bmw-0-60-mph-times/
  • Options
    before I got my car I test drove a V6 and 4 cyl back to back. I was surprised how quick the 4 felt (and that was confirmed when I had it, really was quite spritely).The 6 did haul, and sounded good, but also felt heavier driving (which makes sense). I just liked the 4 better overall, plus that was what came in A spec.

the new S model probably is fun, but at least for me, the extra speed is likely overkill.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Although it's seemingly more power than any of us here need, the TLX Type S for $52,300 seems like a good deal. It's more than I should pay for a car, but since the TLX Advance lists for 48,800, that means the Type S is only $3500 more. For that you get a whole new engine, upgraded suspension, upgraded tires, upgrades brakes, upgraded transmission, etc., etc. You do lose a few things on the Advance, like the wood trim and maybe the rear heated seats, but those seem small.
  • Options
    advance has IIRC HUD and heated steering wheel, surround view camera, fancier stereo, and rain sensing wipers (something I did not realize I would miss so much until I moved to a car without them!). The S type seems to basically be a tech/A spec package with a bigger motor and some suspension tweaks.

• Options
    Yeah, I do like the rain-sensing wipers on my TLX. Interesting that they've moved that way up the line-up compared to the last generation. As you say, maybe it builds more on the A-spec than on the Advance, although the S-type does get the adaptive dampers that also are on the Advance.
  • Options
    I was waiting for the Type S. When the opportunity arose to sell my Stinger, which had similar performance to the now released Type S, I kept asking myself..”why not just keep the Stinger?”. Frankly, if service had been better on the Stinger, and the dealership(s) were in the very least willing to provide the bare minimum of decent service on it, I probably would have kept it. But, as things went wrong (all under warranty), the continued hassle of taking my car in and either waiting days on end for simple warranty fixes, I was willing to part with it.

That said, I actually thought I was going to buy something other than another Acura. But, when test driving with the turbo 4 I asked myself…”what is missing in this car?”. I couldn’t find an answer. Acura has done such a good job with the drivetrain that I don’t miss the extra power of the Stinger, at all.

I forgot what it was like to drive a car that’s put together well and isn’t in constant need of work to keep it on the road.

2 months in and no regrets whatsoever. Would the V6 turbo change my mind? It didn’t with the Stinger, so I doubt it will with the TLX S-Type.
  • Options
    BTW…really impressed with this 10-speed auto that Honda now uses. Quick downshifts, smooth shifting, gets out of the taller gears quickly when you give it a bit if throtte.

A/C works well, as the temps are getting warmer, it’s consistent. Ventilated seats are comfy, too.

I’m liking this car more and more. Glad I came back to Acura!
  • Options
    Acura clearly spent a fortune on the new TLX, which is amazing considering it's a low-volume sedan. It's an impressive car. And so far I've always liked the service at my local Acura dealer. It's a much nicer experience than getting my wife's CR-V serviced at the Honda dealer. Since I'm now thinking of keeping my TLX long-term, right now I'm feeling confident that if I want to I'll be able to go 150,000+ miles in the car with just that affordable routine maintenance that we talked about.
  • Options
    I would have considered keeping the TLX as a long termer mostly because it has the bulletproof 2.4 NA motor. No turbos to worry about!

I know that the new one is a clean sheet platform, but I assume they are going to use it on other products going forward. but who knows with them.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I would have considered keeping the TLX as a long termer mostly because it has the bulletproof 2.4 NA motor. No turbos to worry about!

I know that the new one is a clean sheet platform, but I assume they are going to use it on other products going forward. but who knows with them.

My son is thinking of getting a TLX…surprising given he has a GTi. But, he likes driving mine. I told him to hold off for a year. I’m thinking the Accord may get the TLX platform in a year or so. IT is a very good platform.

He said while driving mine…..’’everything just feels better….it steers better….the controls work smoother and better….the transmission shifts better….’’
  • Options
    GG, since you have had both, is there a real difference between the new and old styles? As in, it seems like a different car, or just the same car but more refined?

• Options
    edited May 2021

My son is thinking of getting a TLX…surprising given he has a GTi. But, he likes driving mine. I told him to hold off for a year. I’m thinking the Accord may get the TLX platform in a year or so. IT is a very good platform.

He said while driving mine…..’’everything just feels better….it steers better….the controls work smoother and better….the transmission shifts better….’’

Acura is very proud of the fact that the new TLX is on a unique-to-Acura platform. I don't think the TLX platform will be shared with Honda in any way. Just my 2 cents, but I think if your son really likes the TLX and can afford it, he should go ahead and get it. He should be able to get top-dollar for his GTI.

Plus, there's the SH-AWD factor. The Accord is a really good car, but as you know it's front wheel drive only. That's fine for the regular engine, but putting the 252 horsepower of the Accord 2.0T into the front wheels is sometimes a challenge, even though overall Car and Driver raves about the car:

"The Accord occasionally issues a tortured moan from one of its front tires, but then it just hooks up and goes."
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a36439199/2021-honda-accord-sport-20t-by-the-numbers/
    I don't think AWD is going to be shared with the Accord either.

Finally, the current about-to-end generation of the Civic lasted six model years (2016-2021), and I think the Accord might also go six model years, which would mean that the full redesign wouldn't be due until model year 2024.

And currently Acura is still offering 0% for up to 60 months on the new TLX, plus there's a loyalty/conquest incentive of an additional $2500 on top of that.

I like the interior of the current GTI, but there's no doubt that the new TLX is a significant jump in refinement and luxury over a GTI.
  • Options
    it's also 2.5 feet longer and a lot wider. Some people want smaller footprints.

• Options
    Yeah, the GTI is a masterpiece of space efficiency. But for long-term reliability I'm more confident about the TLX, even though it is an all-new car.
  • Options
    If you could live with the entry-level model of the new TLX, and I could, leasing it might be considered a good value even compared to an Accord LX. Honda's lease offer on the Accord LX is currently 229 a month with 2999 down, which really means 312 a month + fees etc. das. But my local Acura dealer is offering a loyalty/conquest lease of the entry-level 2021 TLX for $359 a month with 0 down. So for just $47 more dollars a month you can move up from a base Accord to the TLX. The TLX lease is only 7500 miles a year, but since Acura will "forgive" a lot of miles if you keep leasing with them that might be doable for a lot of people.

The new TLX does seem a bit large for me, but compared to a 1962 Ford Thunderbird at 205 inches in length the new TLX at 194.6 is almost a foot shorter. Bottom line though is that I want to buy out my current car and try to get debt free in two or three years.
  • Options
    I would not buy an Acura without the tech package. not worth it IMO. and if its a money issue should probably look at a cheaper car!

2 years to be debt free sounds wonderful. Just need to pay off about 8.5 years of mortgage to do it, before worrying about paying off the RDX. that has 4 years to go, and not in any rush at .9% interest. Once the mortgage is gone might do it just to be done. But more likely will use the $ to get the 2nd car.

I also don't consider a cheap lease to be "debt". And yes I know that is delusional! Might be my only exception to the rule I gave the wife about when we can retire (need to have everything paid off first). That really meant the house, cars are negotiable. But would like to have 2 keepers all paid off to go along with mortgage free house.

• Options
    Yeah, I really like the features that came with the tech pkg on my '18. Here's one that's come in unexpectedly handy—the built-in navigation. I thought I'd never use it because I use AndroidAuto with my phone, but in really rural areas sometimes AA just gives up and cuts out. It doesn't know where I am and sometimes just reverts to putting up a map that focuses on my home. ?? That's obviously zero help when I'm exploring back roads, distant parks, and tiny towns. But anyway, in those situations the built-in navi still works fine, and with it I can figure out which way is North, West, or whatever, whether a street is going to go through, where the nearest bigger highway is, and so on.

I also like the ELS sound system, the blind-spot monitor and cross-traffic alert, the leather seats, frameless mirror, and rain-sensing wipers.

As you say, affordability is key. The new TLX sounds great, but my current car is already by far the best I've ever owned. Not surprisingly the loan for the residual will be about double what my lease payments are. But I'm working extra to try to get together a bigger downpayment, and there's a chance that maybe I can do it in a two-year loan of c. 525 a month. We have about 2.5 years left on our mortgage, and so by late 2023 there's at least a chance we might be debt free. Knock on wood. But then it'll be time to increase the money going toward retirement. In other words, I may want and need my 2018 Acura to last for more or less its full span of trouble-free life, which I'm guessing is about ten years and 150k miles.
  • Options
    I hope to keep this RDX for that 10 year range too. so half it's life with the loan paid off, even if we take the 5 year not to term. Of course, entirely possible we will only have 60,000-75,000 miles on it at that point, so it better be in good shape!

I keep the map up on the split screen just to glance at it. I never use it to actually navigate though. I also almost never plug in the phone unless I actually need to run google maps.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    stickguy said:

I hope to keep this RDX for that 10 year range too. so half it's life with the loan paid off, even if we take the 5 year not to term. Of course, entirely possible we will only have 60,000-75,000 miles on it at that point, so it better be in good shape!

I keep the map up on the split screen just to glance at it. I never use it to actually navigate though. I also almost never plug in the phone unless I actually need to run google maps.

At the rate we’re going, the Outback will have 70k on it after 10 years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Over at the discussions of vtec.net one Acura salesperson says they have a waiting list for the Type S....

"I just sold a Type S today, Red/Black with all seasons and they are willing to wait till December or longer. MSRP and they didn't even try to negotiate, they thought it should be priced higher. AND to top it off they were in their LATE 70's!!!! Hows that! Based on the A-Spec test drive he will be using the 355hp/354twist often....They are #12 on our list of people willing to wait."