Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Mitsubishi Outlander Owners Give us your report

Comments

• Options
    cooljwcooljw Member Posts: 47
    So does the paint chipping only occur on Outlanders with the 18" wheels or have people with smaller wheels also experienced the problem? Do the wheels seem to noticeably stick out a lot from the sides of the body?

It sounds like anyone living in parts of the country where it snows and they use salt or gravel on the roads should experience this problem. I am also confused why more people haven't reported this problem but maybe mcolis is right and it's just a matter of time after people wash their cars. Also I figure for every person reporting this problem here on this forum there are probably several more who don't know about this forum.

Fortunately I do live in SoCal so I might get the car anyway but the problem still makes me really nervous.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just taking your BMW example, lots of people complain about the tires too. I don't think paint issues are any more widespread than other problems people have with their rides.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=bmw+tire+problems
  • Options
    20vcq20vcq Member Posts: 82
    I thought it was as a result of the 225 tires but met an owner in a AW in a small town in the heart of snow country and his 6 month old Outlander looked like a two tone. The chips were the worst I had seen. His had the 15" rims and 195 snow tires plus like me he had the flaps from day one. There is no doubt that snow tires pick up and throw more gravel than a touring tire or a.s. but one would think Mitsu would have allowed for this in the design. If I had known or looked more closely I would have had the area in question either sprayed with a coating or layered with the clear plastic.
  • Options
    dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    So does the paint chipping only occur on Outlanders with the 18" wheels or have people with smaller wheels also experienced the problem? Do the wheels seem to noticeably stick out a lot from the sides of the body?

The problem could occur on the Outanders with 16" wheels too. I have few minuscules paint chips on each side of the car, on the lower half of the doors, but I did not have mudguards at the time.
    After installing the mudguards, the chipping potential remains on the very bottom of the doors. I'm pretty sure that the door garnish would help. I ordered them but I did not install them yet (too cold). However, I put them on the car and yes, they would cover the affected area. As an extra measure, I will also add more clear film on the rear doors, around the round part.
    Over the past few weeks I've been looking at other SUVs on the road and most of them have some sort of garnish on the bottom of the doors (XC90, Santa Fe, RDX, CRV just to mention few).
    I don't see this issue primarily as a bad design or poor paint quality, but I think the bean counters at MMNA decided to delete the garnish to keep the price down. As mentioned before, the cars on other markets are properly protected, but they pay more as well.
    Personally, I'm not very concerned about this issue since there is a solution for it. True, I don't like that I have to pay extra, but on the other hand I think we would've ended up paying anyways if the door garnish were stock.
  • Options
    mcollismcollis Member Posts: 25
    I received an email response from Customer Relations in Japan to the packet (letter and photos) that I sent last week. They have forwarded the information to MMNA (North America) "who are in a right position to monitor the case and for clarification more in detail." Okay, the English isn't the best, but you get the idea. (And it's certainly better than MY Japanese!)

I would urge others similarly affected to take the time to write to MMNA (addresses available on their website) and to include photos. The more they hear about this (with visual evidence), the more likely that there'll be some sort of fix. Or at least we'll know that they've been duly informed. Relying on the rep that visits the dealership seems hopeless. Mine is allegedly "looking into it," but I won't hold my breath. It seems best to go right to the top.

I'd just like the side garnishes installed. It seems as though there needs to be a "Northeast package" or "winter weather package" as the folks driving on treated roads are most likely to be affected.

It's sad to have a new car and to already be thinking about what to replace it with, but that's the reality. I'm already in that frame of mind.
  • Options
    jvainejvaine Member Posts: 34
    I have sent photo's to MMNA po. box 6014,Cypress CA. 90630-0014 about 8 month's ago and again 2 month's ago with my phone# and email address, have had no response as yet.Just have to keep trying.The 888-648-7820# is a joke but call it anyway's.I call once a month always same answer no report's of this nature. dealer Jeff Phillips Mitsubishi. Hickory, NC. no help at all. mcollis please keep us posted.
  • Options
    dodo2: Where did you get the side door garnishes? Thanks.
  • Options
    And how much are the side door garnishes? Are they from Mitsubishi?
  • Options
    Besides taking the issue up directly with Mitsubishi corporate, I would also recommend all the Outlander paint chipping victims to notify the editors of http://Consumerist.com of the problem and see if they will fight for you too. Consumerist is a great consumer advocacy website and they have tips on how individuals can navigate big corporations for a resolution. However if you fail they will sometimes take up your cause - if they did in this case they would probably do things like give Mitsubishi a lot of bad publicity and try and get them to provide a resolution to the problem. Something like this might lead to a recall. Companies often listen to Consumerist after having ignored individual consumers.
  • Options
    biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    They're stock Mitsubishi parts. In Japan they're offered in body color through Mitsubishi's ROAR aftermarket parts company.

$200 + $50 shipping

http://www.zontarh.co.uk/epages/es108883.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es108883_sh- op/Products/RT800156/SubProducts/RT800156
  • Options
    dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    mcollis:
    www.zontarh.co.uk. $257 USD shipped.
  • Options
    20vcq: AMEN to that! MMNA is trying to shut me down with a decision of "outside influence." I responded saying, among other things, that this MIGHT make sense if all of my cars showed the same damage after driving on the same roads...but they DON'T! Customer Relations of MMNA considers their response the "final declination to assist with the paint issue" but I do not consider the issue closed...until someone can explain the logic behind "outside influence" to me. Interestingly, the office in Japan emailed the CA office and, in bad English, asked for clarification of "outside influence." Yeah...that'd be cool!

I'm determined to keep after them with letters and pics, etc. No case closed as far as I'm concerned. If nothing else, to get them to admit that this is an issue. We're all actually doing them a favor...providing real-life feedback so that an obvious issue becomes known and can be addressed. As I said in one of my letters, the issue itself isn't as frustrating as a company that won't deal with it! Bad design happens, just admit it, and rectify it. Are happy customers worth nothing?

Love the disclaimer! Exactly what I've been thinking!!
  • Options
    piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    I just noticed few spots on either side car of my car as well, by only after our cities got low on salt, and started mixing it with sand. I do have mudguards installed from new, so that's not enough to protect from small flying stones. I think part of the problem is vehicle clearance (8.5"), and shape of the bottom panels. Side garnish may help, but I'm afraid some of the chips will appear above it. I'm not sure how wide side steps should be to do the trick. Last night we have another nasty storm, and I just extended mudguards with rubber flaps, bringing it down about 5-6". I'm not sure of the results yet, but for sure, horizontal pattern of dirt and ice running from front wheels to the back is gone. Maybe all it needs its longer mudguards?
  • Options
    I have made a formal complaint to Mitsubishi this week and have an appointment with the dealership for a photo op and information gathering. Don't let this pass without complaining to your dealer and the warrantee rep though. This is a design caused occurance and should be covered by warrantee. Unless they want to put a disclaimer in the owners manual "this vehicle should not be used on gravel roads as damage wil occur" :)
    This occurred with Mazda back in the 80's and they re painted and covered with clear plastic the offended areas under warrantee.
    The fact that the newest ones in Japan come with the "plastic" cladding covering the side from belt line down to rocker panel should tell us all something.
    Check out just about any other SUV and see how much chipping has occurred - hell even the Honda CRV has a better offset. I mention that one as I just saw a three year old one and while the plastic trim did show sand effects there was no paint chipped.
    Let's not let this be accepted as o.k.
  • Options
    jhausslerjhaussler Member Posts: 8
    What I find hard to believe is that so many people have the same problem and they give us all the same idiotic answer. I guess a letter to corporate headquarters will be the next thing I do. At least recall the vehicles & put on running boards & mud flaps (or something) Guess they don't realize how much of a customer base they are losing year after year. And now the Lancer is doing the same thing from the front wheel. Frustration is a mild word for how I feel right now.
  • Options
    The answer is not idiotic, this is caused by the sand and gravel cities are mixing with salt, because they spend your tax money somewhere else. Maybe it is not the case in Japan, where Outlanders are build. In your letter just ask them to supply 3-4" longer mud flaps for northern states, problem solved.
  • Options
    jhausslerjhaussler Member Posts: 8
    Sorry, but no, problem not solved. Then the flaps would be dragging on the ground.
    Have the flaps & running boards at my expense. When I drove the car home, around 110 miles it was already chipping. Besides, had an 04 Tahoe & from what I am reading plenty of other types of vehicles in the Northern states drive the same road with no problems. Mitsubishi has definitely got a design problem and they dont' want to fess up. Why did they put all the plastics on the wheel area & half way up the door on the Japaneese models if they didn't have a problem. Also take a good look at the enormous mud flaps they used also. They definitely know they have a problem, they just don't want to rectify it for anyone. I don't like the gravel the States are using either, but why is it only effecting this vehicle (and now the Lancer too)
  • Options
    rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    The set of manuals for the Outlander include a dispute resolution booklet, where it outlines the steps you can take if you feel your complaints are not being addressed. Did try that already? Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    You must have original US mudguards, which are about 8-10" from the ground. If you can find longer ones, or extend those just few inches, and still stay 4- 5" of the ground, you will see, that the gravel can't reach your doors any more. Unless you are using back roads all the time, then this may be enough.
  • Options
    sorry but I don't think you know what your talking about. I tried longer flaps about 2" above pavement still messed up rear door flare, Also snow & ice buildup caused problems between front tire's & fender's.After haveing the car painted and running board's installed no more problem's UNHAPPY OUTLANDER OWNER.
  • Options
    I think I do. Me and one other owner from this forum are using longer flaps. He does not have any damage, I just installed them before last snow storm, and this time, there was no ice build up anywhere on rear doors or flares. By the way, where did you get running boards, and how much did you pay? Do you think they are better than side garnish? 90% HAPPY OUTLANDER OWNER
  • Options
    Add me to your list. Have the OEM mudguards, I placed longer mudflaps on because the mudguards aren't long enough to hold mudsprays. I bought the mudguards after winter of 06-07, and even then I didn't have any chipping issue. I put them on simply for the reason of keeping my black outlander tidy during the rainy months. And where I live, it's a new construction site. The home builder still has a lot to do with paving some interconnecting roads, so there a lot of loose premixed asphalt on the roads. So far not a chip on the rear flares. With the longer mudflap inserts, I spared myself having to buy $200+ running boards. And I am happy with the results because I don't like putting running boards on my vehicle. So far after a year and a half with the Outlander, I can say I made the best choice at that time. Reliability has been outstanding so far, and Consumer Reports will verify that claim.
  • Options
    I went to a local custom fab shop and had running board's built .Cost about same as garnishe's. I like the garnish but not sure that's the answer to the whole problem. I like running boards anyway's.
  • Options
    That's a good news. Can you post any pictures of your's extended mudguards?
    Mine are just temporary trial type (read not that pretty), or do you know any source of OEM flaps (long ones), in dark gray or black color?
  • Options
    Can you post some close up pictures of them? You mentioned , you have your mudguards installed from new, then you are probably talking about OEM, plastic ones, which are way to short. Few of us added extra rubber flaps to them, and that seams to help a lot.
  • Options
    Here's a few quick shots from inside the garage.

If you look at the top pic, you can see dirt and mud all over the wheel area, but look at the side of the vehicle, you can see that it doesn't have the splash pattern that will be created if there were no long mudflaps installed on the front wheels. Also note on the top pic that there will still be some water splash coming out of the wheel flare area. But no stone/gravel chips so far.

The long flaps gives a clearance of about 5-6" from the road, and they're made of plastic (probably PVC) so it's very flexible that you don't need to worry about them getting damaged. And no, they don't drag on the road or bumps. These are not OEM flaps, but they look a lot like the ones sold by Mitsubishi Japan, but without the logo. Plus they're only 10$ a set at autozone, so that's a pretty good bargain there. These flaps can actually be a good replacement for the OEM mudguards if you didn't buy one yet. However, in my case, I found that the OEM mudguards add strength to the flexible plastic flaps. These flaps were heavily tested by me personally on the vacant lots in our subdivision. I ran the Outlander in snow slush and mud and I was very much delighted by the amount of protection I got from such a cheap solution. All of the mud stayed inside the wheel well area, and absolutely no splatter on the side. So no need for running boards for me.

If you plan to install this yourself without the pre-existing mudguards, you will need to buy the parts (grommets) for you to be able to screw the flaps to the vehicle body. See my tutorial on here: http://outlander.freeforums.org/mz380379ex-mud-guard-installation-t40.html It shows you what parts you need to buy. Equivalent parts can be bought from autozone too.
    In my case, since I had the OEM mudguards already, it's just a simple drill and fit. I just matched the holes I drilled on the flaps to the screw positions of the existing mudguards. Simple, cheap, and easy.
  • Options
    comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Man that camera angle is deceiving!!! (looks like you got about 1" clearance on that rear angle shot! )
    Interesting solution though. (so far no damage on my LS AWD and I'll think about it in the spring)
  • Options
    rcpax,
    Thank you for all the info and pictures. That's what I was thinking, and you are right, no more front wheels overspray to rear panels. I would try to find OEM for the next winter. I don't care about the logo, just think one piece may look cleaner. On my car, after 3 months of real winter driving with just standard mudguards, I can find few tiny (1/32") spots on both sides, but only if I'm looking really close. Those should disappear with a good wax.
  • Options
    Those are good shots and a good idea.
    I am wondering - looking at your photos I notice you are not running snow tires and wonder if others with little or no chipping also have not used snow tires. That could possibly(?) account for the difference. The snows I have are studded and a fairly aggressive tread with much larger grooves tha our stock 55 series treads - possibly picking up and throwing larger gravel. Just wondering out loud here :confuse: .
    The dealer has the car now for two days and the service manager is as shocked as I about the chips and is making a report to MM to see if anything can be done. Meantime they are working on an automatic transmission problem.
    Note: I do like this truck just a little frustrated.
  • Options
    No, still on OEM tires. It doesn't really get that bad in our area, just when I exit the highway to our subdivision then things get a little rough. It doesn't get plowed as often and underneath the snow and thin ice are a thin layer of gravel used in asphalt overlaying of the roads. Studded tires can really dig dirt and debris so that might be a contributing factor.
  • Options
    comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Well I have a temporary solution for paint protection.

My Outlander is covered in a thin layer of ice. That should do nicely for a short time!

;)
  • Options
    Thanks I like that one.
  • Options
    rjr2565rjr2565 Member Posts: 27
    I'm looking at a 08 XLS AWD. Would the protection package which includes the mud guards/scuff plates help reduce the chipping problem or is not worth spending the money for it.
  • Options
    You would be better off waiting until mitsubishi come's up with something, if they ever do. mud guard's don't help and scuff plate.s go inside the car no help there.If I had known what I know now I would have never bought this car.
  • Options
    I haven't heard of a "protection pakage". Is this from the dealer ? I would have been quite satisfied if the clear plastic coating had been run above the black roker panel the full length of both doors and up the leading edge of the rear fender about a foot. The chips are below the curve of the body above the rocker and up the leading edge of the rear fender.
    Any pictures you can supply of that "protection package" would be very helpful.
  • Options
    It's official - Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, Inc will not discuss the paint chipping as anything other than driver caused damage :P . The dealer is appologetic and understanding but "their hands are tied by MMSC. So next stop - consumer watch dogs and magazine discussion groups, more web sites. (not my way normally but this is simply wrong!) it's not quite a lemon just flawed :(

Interesting - check out the Outlander 3000 on this Mitsu Japan web site
    They are addressing this issue in the next design maybe '09 here?
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/outlander/index.html
  • Options
    I have protection package installed from new. It looks good, and it is enough for 95% of owners. If you live in rather snowy area, your town is using sand and gravel mixed with salt, or you travel back roads frequently, that will not be enough. You have to find longer mud flaps or install running boards. Scroll back few post, there is simple and cheap solution for those special road condition. If other SUV' would have better design, why they are using all of those running boards, cladding up to 1/2 of the doors, long and wide mud flaps, flares etc.? Mistake on Mitsubishi part, is that they cancel side garnish for NA market (for cleaner look), and did not fit the car with long enough mud guards.
  • Options
    That side garnish for the 3.0L Outlander in Japan has long been included in production for Peugeot 4007 and Citroen C-Crosser in Europe a year prior to its inclusion in the Outlander production. I doubt that will help at all if you take the vehicle off-road running on gravel roads,especially with off-road tires. The width of that chrome top side garnish is only an inch or two wider that the ones on the 07s. The US 08 Outlander SE already have that included.

I would suggest to other owners that if you want to go off-roading, or if the roads you run on pose the danger of road debris damage to your paint work, then get protection for your vehicle.

The Outlander was never marketed as an off-roader, although it is capable of doing light off-road trips. It does not come protected from possible road debris damage due gravel or sand spread on winter roads, so you will need to get added protection for this vehicle.
  • Options
    rjr2565rjr2565 Member Posts: 27
    The protection pkg is basically mud guards some kind of hard plastic coating on the rear bumper and wheel locks. So I guess that will not solve anything about the paint chipping. Its to bad mitsu does not offer a fix because the Outlander is pretty neat. Think I'LL reconsider this purcase. Thanks for all the info. from everyone.
  • Options
    Where did you get the idea we were discussing damage as a result of off roading. WE are not. This is damage caused by normal winter road highway travel where, as in most parts of the world, "sand / gravel" is used to aid travel (especially in areas where temps lower than minus 10 C are recorded. That's just about the whole midwest US and most of Canada's roads - which I travel. Once again one need only look at the Escape and such to see how it should be dealt with (lousy little vehicle compared to the Outlander but never the ess)
    This is a ridiculous design flaw that as of 15 minutes ago - Mitsubishi Canada says once again they are falling back on the warrantee. - until you read about a consumer back lash in the press - nothing will happen. Let's move on - and talk about the positives of the Mitsu :)they are more in number than this issue.
  • Options
    I wouldn't let this small issue stop you from buying one. Over all - I am very pleased with the vehicle. I tried everything in its price range and even higher and came away beleiving it to be the best of the lot. Had I known or seen this flaw in design I would have had the clear plastic applied and still bought the Outlander. I'm just pissed that I can't apply it over the chips without it looking dumb or repainting the lower 1/2 of the sides!
  • Options
    Where did you get the idea we were discussing damage as a result of off roading. WE are not.

That was actually a general statement, for all owners, and NOT specifically directed to you. Off-roading or not, gravel and sand will still hurt the paintwork. My point is to protect the vehicle instead of doing nothing.
  • Options
    I'm curious about what the favorite 07/08 Outlander feature might be?
  • Options
    batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    The paint chipping matter in the Outlander is a serious problem for owners that adventure on dirty roads and there are a lot of concern about this situation.

I wonder why this situation continue when apparently in Japan the problem has been solved by having mudflat like the shown here:

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

This mudflat are flexible and not rigid like the USA version and can deform according to the condition of the roads. What we need in the USA is to find a Mitsubishi part dealer or a Mitsubishi part importers to bring hundreds of this mudflats and do a business with people like us who are desperate with this problem.
  • Options
    batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Here is the part number and price for the Mudflat that will solve the chipping problem.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

The price is about $320 in Japan for the four mudflat kit (front and rear) and the part number is MZ531328. If you don't like the red color then you may order a black color and its part number is MZ531329 at the same price.

Perhaps members of this forum already know some importers or Mitsu dealers that can order this item from Japan. I don't know but I am eager to know who can do this. Somebody has recommended me to try a Subaru parts importer that import a great numbers of Japan parts for the Rally cars.

I would like to hear from someone that know how to do this.

As you can notice the mudflats are wide and protrudes out given a very good cover to the car finish.
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Now that it's warmed up a little I was able to give my '07 Outlander a good hand wash. It was strange to find little brown spots all over the paint.(My car is Diamond White.) I'm assuming the spots to be sand from the roads. I can kind of pick them off with my fingernail and I'm hoping a good hand wax will remove it all.

I have no mudflaps and I don't see the damage others have reported. I've never seen paint affected this way before; Could it be the paint Mitsubishi uses?
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    Oh I have those brown spots too, and from what it looks like, it's fine iron particles that rusted. The service guy told me before that it's common, and he said something bout railroad tracks being the culprit. Even on plastic panels I see these tiny rust specks. I guess clay will clean it nicely.
  • Options
    I like it, but that thing costs $360. You should see my solution, it's only 10$ (20 if you do front and back). And you don't have to order it from Japan.
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    You know, it does look like rust. I figured it couldn't be chipped spots that rusted, because I also have it on the bumpers and plastic parts. But your explanation makes sense, and I do cross railroad tracks everytime I leave my subdivision.

What do you mean about cleaning it with clay?
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.