Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Mitsubishi Outlander Owners Give us your report

Comments

• Options
    jvainejvaine Member Posts: 34
    SORRY I did'nt know that you would'nt find a connection between salt& sand for ice control.By the way how long have you been a spokes person for mitsubishi.
  • Options
    rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Oh I'm not even a spoke person for Mitsubishi. I'm just an average Joe here. Maybe if you can post some hi-res photos of your paint chipping issues then we can understand what your talking about, because the way I look at it, my Outlander have been subjected to the same road hazard as you mentioned (except the sand, which thankfully they don't use here), has more mileage to it (close to 4500 now), been off-road several times, yet my paint didn't chip.
  • Options
    spaceman210spaceman210 Member Posts: 50
    Oh, I imagine Mitsu. could indeed be held liable if there's a defect in the paint materials or processes (e.g. surface prep/priming) that causes it to not adhere in the expected environment, just like any other product defect.
  • Options
    IF that is the case. But if it's road debris/hazard damage, that's another story. If it's a paint defect, then we could start to see more owners complain about it. Painting is standardized process at the assembly plant, a defect in that process will actually manifest in thousands of the vehicles. So I imagine, Mitsubishi support line will be swamped with complaints by now. But who knows, it could be a paint defect, but isolated. Strange, but it can happen. Nothing is impossible they say. I guess the best thing to do is to let the service dept take a look at it and see if it's indeed a paint defect or not.
  • Options
  • Options
    car69car69 Member Posts: 2
    The color of my outlander is the dark gray. I got a feeling that the paint is to soft, but I also notice that the primer is chipping too.
    I am wondering if its the gray or all of the colors?
    I have other cars and pickups going on the same roads and holding up very well, and they are older and have more miles.
    car69
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Jvaine, please check your email. Your photos are too big for our site and throw the page size out of whack. Please put them in your CarSpace album and it'll automatically make them smaller so you can post them here. Thanks!
  • Options
    growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    Carspace albums really suck big time. Images dont show for some reason.. all you see is small x. Right clicking the properties and copy/pasting it on browser helps though but who has the patience.
  • Options
    A few people do seem to have trouble seeing them - maybe try in Firefox is you have that browser too. Otherwise, maybe you can resize them before you post from your other hosting site so the size isn't so big. 100k is about the limit and anything wider than 480 will skew the page.

Believe it or not, some people still read the forum on dialup and big pics shut the site down for them.
  • Options
    ny_outlanderny_outlander Member Posts: 16
    The navigation sucks. A waste of money unless you don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry. Try it for yourself. Just see if you can locate a retail store by name or a hospital in a hurry. Unless you know the street address or the town the hospital is in, you're screwed. But, you can see all the utility poles along your way, it displays those on the map.
  • Options
    biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    I like the nav. You can find all local hospitals quickly and easily, see this video:

Nav to Hospital

Menu->Advanced Search->Nearby POI's->Hospitals

Same thing for gas stations, restaurants, banks etc.
  • Options
  • Options
    ken4nyken4ny Member Posts: 40
    By the look of the tire, rim and colour combinations. It doesn't look like a 2007 Outlander. What car is it?
  • Options
    image It looks a lot like an 07 outlander LS">
  • Options
    ken4nyken4ny Member Posts: 40
    My apology, I didn't know that they use silver bottom for the LS blue and the blue looks a lot lighter.
  • Options
    The bottom was originaly flat black , its hard to see from these photos but the original color is just behind the mud gaurds, it looks silver in the photos, but its a real lite gray.nice mess.
  • Options
    jvaine, I'm not sure what you are trying to show with the rear photo. The lower part is black plastic and looks to be sandblasted to the point where it has turned white. That isn't going to help your case about the paint, because if you're kicking up enough sand/dirt to sandblast the plastic then no paint is going to be able to survive those conditions.

Also, the painted area in the back has clear vinyl over it to protect the paint. That looks sandblasted too.

The reflection on the side of the car makes it really difficult to see what's going on.

I'd say given those driving conditions you should invest in some of the big mudflaps that Mitsubishi offers in Japan and Europe.
  • Options
    I'am not trying to make an issue of paint,but the design of the body and tire arrangement.I have had five new vehicle's since moveing here in 1992 no problem's.I also have two pickups with over 100000 miles no probem's.mitsubishi should come out with running board's or something or tell people before they buy that this vehicle is not for winter roads.to stop this problem mud flap's would drag the road.mitsubishi's attitude so far you bought it so fix it.
  • Options
    ny_outlanderny_outlander Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the help with the hospitals, but the every day locations are severly missing. Home Depot, Staples, Walmart, a Bagel shop, ice cream shop, taco bell, they're all missing. Not much use in this unit.
  • Options
    car57car57 Member Posts: 12
    Hello Car69,

I haven't been looking at the web postings for 07 Outlanders for a while now, but after seeing your issues I wanted you to know that you are not alone. I have posted several pictures of my 07 Outlander. It was dark gray and after only two weeks of ownership (purchased Dec 06) started having serious paint chipping issues around the back wheels. The dealership repainted it and within 6 weeks it was having much worse issues and had chipped off all the paint and the protective film liner that had been put on it. I went back to the dealership and directly to Mitsubishi. They did all the same things to me they were doing to you. They claimed it was a road hazzard issue and that no one else was having this problem and that it wouldn't be covered under warranty. I had not been offroading. Further more, I have four cars that have all been driven to most of the same places (including the Lexus LX470 that was my personal car that I had driven all the same places for over a year before that) and none of these cars exhibited any rock chipping. I showed the car to the repair shop that originally painted the rock chipping and the owner suggested the problem was probably a combination of the paint color and a Mitsubishi design flaw. I pushed that with both the dealership and Mitsubishi. They became increasingly more difficult to deal with, but finally agreed to repaint it one more time. They basically told me this was likely the last time they would help me. I let them fix the Outlander, but when I picked it up and realized that they had been so difficult to work with and that I probably would not be able to get any more help in the future, I decided to get rid of the Outlander and cut my losses. I met with the owner of the dealership and told him what I had decided to do. He wanted me to hang in there and keep the vehicle, but wouldn't provide me any level of comfort that I would be treated differently in the future by Mitsubishi. I traded in the Outlander for an 07 Hyundai Santa Fe. I am much happier, but sad that I had to unload the Outlander because of the poor customer service from Mitsubishi. Let me know if I can answer any questions. You are not alone in this issue.

car57
  • Options
    That was a good move. If you're not happy with it, trade it in. Life's too short to be unhappy. Good thing it didn't happen to me. I do have 3 pinpoint chipped paint areas in the rear area just above the 3m clear plastic, which I saw after a thorough carwash, and I can tell very well was from a flying stone. I consider it natural wear and tear, so I'm getting one of those touch up paint kit.
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Mine looks fine after two months driving. It sounds like yours happened more during the winter months so I'll see what mine looks like after a Wisconsin winter. I have a couple of small chips in the windshield which surprises me on a taller vehicle like this.

Other than that, couldn't be happier. Just filled up, 22.5 MPG, and the wind noise at the mirror is gone now that the dealer did the TSB.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    smily157smily157 Member Posts: 14
    Ok, so I have had my outie for about a month, and now have a little over 2,000 miles and overall I am loving it. I came from a 2001 Ford Taurus, which had 105,000 miles on it when I traded it in, and it was terrible, so moving to this brand new outlander is a wonderful treat. I am very impressed with the suspension, some people say it is harsh, but it is a lot better than the other cars I have/have driven, like my taurus, 98 explorer and 06 escape hybrid, now I think the new Limited Explorers have a better and smoother ride, but they are $40,000+ . As for noise, it is also quieter than my previous/other cars. I do notice that I can hear the road a bit on the driver side when driving, and I am not sure if that is one of the fixes, or if that is normal? The turning radius is awesome, it can turn in about 2/3 the room of my taurus. Also, the steering is responsive, and sporty in feel, it is great. I have the Rockford Fosgate 650 watt awesome stereo, and it is awesome! One of the best stereos I have heard in a car, I LOVE it, no matter what I play, from rock to classical, it sounds wonderful, my only complaint is the FM reception, which I think I will have them look at it when I get my first oil change. I am still getting to know the Music Server, I think it is not exactly user friendly, it takes a while to get everything in and in playlists and groups, but I guess once you have everything set up, it does what it is supposed to, it just takes a bit of work/time. The seats are very comfortable, I have taken 3 3+ hour(each way) drives in the car and not had any discomfort. I love thte rear tailgate, I didn't think that I'd car at all about it, but after dealing with a normal tailgate for so long, it is nice. I like that you can set things in, and when you open the top part, nothing falls out, and the load floor is low, it is very handy. All of the compartments are cool, I don't even have enough crap for them all.

I do have a few complaints, and some of these are just personal ones, that others may not have a problem with. The heated seat buttons are in a terrible location, you can't see it to know if you are turning on high or low. The center arm rest is too low for me, I can't comfortably rest my arm on it. Running lights (i have HID's) are on when the car is on, I wish that they would turn on when the car is in drive, it can just be a bit annoying at night to sit in your car before you are about to leave and people are waiting for you because they see lights on. I have had problems with the tire pressure monitoring system, it goes off all of the time, and I know my tires are fine, another thing to have the dealer check. The gas mileage is annoying, that is what pisses me off the most, it auto resets every time I start my car, even if I switch it to manual, the next time I start the car, it is back in auto mode and it has reset, it pisses me off to never know what my actual mileage is. And the seat belt warning is also very annoying. Now I usually wear my seatbelt, but occasionally when only going a half mile, I don't, but now I have to because the warning won't shut up, yea, it goes away after 90 seconds, but then after I stop at a light, its on again.

Overall it is a great car, and I know I made the right choice getting it over the CX-9 and Escape, as they were my other 2 top choices. If you get an outlander, you will not regret it!
  • Options
    piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    After one month of ownership, I would still recommend it to a friend. The one with small family, young at least at hart, that is. If you enjoy soft ride in your parents' Camry so much, it may not be the best choice. If you prefer sporty, agile handling and performance (German sedan like) - this may be it. Fuel economy is good, warranty is great.
    Powertrain, while not as refined as in our Accord (V6), is very responsive, and adequate for the size of a car. Paddle shifters are fun, split tailgate - a homerun. I finally figured out how to program and connect my Razor to the Bluetooth system in a car. This thing is really hands free and hands down. Overall in a scale from 1- 10 I would give it 9.
    The missing point would cover:
    - Great looking but lint catching sport fabric
    - Mandatory 3rd row seat in XLS
    - Cargo space could be bigger
    - Limited OEM accessories (roof rack cross bars not available yet)

In a small CUV segment Outlander is the best choice IMO, much better value than CRV or RAV4, much better performance than anything else(maybe except CX7 or RDX).
  • Options
    mucoolmucool Member Posts: 24
    After 11 months and 9000 odd miles... I am still a very satisfied customer.
    My only gripe (always has been) is the road/cabin/wind noise. Not to restart any discussions, but its just disheartening to see my cool bluetooth setup fail miserably in so much road noise when at hwy speeds or uneven road surface. Everything else is pretty slick :).
    CX-7 is probably the only reasonable CUV to compare , but the turbo engine and shorter warranty, made it easy for me to decide. RDX is not at the same price point, so no remorse there.
  • Options
    After 8 months and 21000 km, my biggest gripe is the suspension. Its too stiff.... result of a bigger body on a smaller car chassis me thinks.. If I were to do it all over again, I think Camry or anything that has soft suspension would be a serious contender. :surprise:

Sound insulation or lack there of is my second gripe.. not upto my standards. And the thin plastic on the dash. No soft touch materials used on the dash which reeks of cost cutting..

Third gripe would be lack of telescoping steering wheel combined with poor support from seats. Heck even a cheap corolla has more comfy seats fer cryin out loud. No lumbar support and forget upper back support.

Fourth would be brutal depreciation... Not happy at all with that. Oh and the color choices suck too.. still not sure if graphite is the color I wanted..

fuel economy is okay for the size and fm reception sucks but not a deal breaker.. Other than that just peachy...
  • Options
    "suspension. Its too stiff....Sound insulation or lack there of... the thin plastic on the dash. No soft touch materials used on the dash...lack of telescoping steering wheel combined with poor support from seats... brutal depreciation...color choices suck too.. "

And why have you bought it again? Did they twist your arm or what? All above you should easily find out on your test drive or on the model displayed in the showroom. With so many cons I would probably looked at something else.
  • Options
    Easy tiger... you are in the first month honeymoon.. give it a few months...
  • Options
    chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    yea, I was wondering the same thing :)
  • Options
    You know, I don't know why people post all these whinings. You would think sOmebody is pointing a gun on their head when they signed the papers. If you don't like the car, sell the damn thing and get yourself what you really wanted.

... But wait, I'm not too sure though if that new car/suv I want is really the one I wanted... :confuse:

Make up your mind dude!
  • Options
    I have my Outlander for almost 10 mos now, and I have NONE of your gripes and whinings. I did my assignement, and did the test drive and so far I am 10000% convinced that I did the right decision in buying the Outlander, as compared to all SUVs in this price point.

Now, tell me, if you didn't get the Outlander, because you had all those gripes about it, what else would you have gotten?
  • Options
    rcpax, take it easy on the kool aid. Geez, a guy cant post his opinions without getting potshots from the fanboys? If Mitsubishi takes my remarks seriously, then I bet they would sell more outlanders than Rav4 or CR-V.
  • Options
    You're the one that should take it easy growise. You obviously are on a crusade against the Outlander because of your initial bad experience with the dealer.

If you hate any car that much you should get rid of it and move on.

If you want the plush ride of a Camry, the soft seats of a Corolla, and a soft dash... why did you buy the Outlander? Do more research next time.
  • Options
    By relating their experiences members help others do their research. The topic is give us your report, not give us your glowing report.

Please stick to talking about the cars and not each other. Thanks.
  • Options
    cheapowestcheapowest Member Posts: 4
    I am really concerned with my Outlander. I only have 1K miles on it and when I brake the car, it feels like there is a slight grinding feeling. The brake isn't stiff like I am used to and which I like. The brake is very lose. Also, I felt a grinding feeling under the brake and acceleration paddles in the drivers cabin floor. Is this normal? I saw a post regarding rusted brake pads. :mad:

When I turn on the AC the engine ideals for one minute and then stops and then starts again and so forth. Also, really bad condensation after the AC has been on for a bit.

Off topic - does the LS model have bluetooth? If no, does anyone know how much it is to enable it?

Did I get a :lemon: ???
  • Options
    Have it checked with your dealer. A/C is working fine, and will have condensation. As to being "bad", I don't what a "bad" condensation is, but A/Cs are designed to do just that. LS is PRE-WIRED for Bluetooth, but you need to buy the actual BT module to make it work.
  • Options
    No, your new car is just different from the one you get used to. Yes, breaks can make some noises when new, wet or misaligned. Yes, AC compressor cycles on and off, and you will see water under car, any car, after use. If you don't your drain line is clogged. Bluetooth is just over $200 for your car. Relax and enjoy.
  • Options
    Yeah the A/C sounds normal. The brake pedal should be firm though, I'd have the dealer check it if it isn't. Do you hear the grinding noise in slow turns? Mine does that, I'm hoping it's tire noise, the dealer say's it's normal.
    Lot's of warranty left, so I'm not worried.
  • Options
    And that's where it pays to have that edge in terms of warranty. So far, in my personal experience, Mitsubishi has been very prompt and in fact very much involved with their customers on warranty claims. I had the first crop of Outlanders from Japan when it went on sale in Nov 06, and I believe I was one of the very first customers to bring the front end clunking issue to their attention. Mitsubishi made sure the dealer knew how to deal with the issue and had the parts ready in that same week. And I got a Lancer for a service car. Service with a personal touch. And I still have 9 years and 1 month of that left for the powertrain, that's peace of mind for me. :)
  • Options
    cheapowestcheapowest Member Posts: 4
    is this the reason why my brakes feel a bit weird. also, how long did it take to resolve the clunking issue and has it resolved the problem?

off topic, does anyone know how much it will cost to enable the bluetooth. is it possible to add 3rd row seats on an LS model? thanks!
  • Options
    Like I said before, it will cost you ~ $250, your car is prewired for it. You will enable it yourself, with your bluetooth ready phone in one hand and manual book (from your glove compartment) in another. It will take 15 min, unless you are planning long phonebook.
    As far as 3rd row seat, I can sell you mine, no need for it.
  • Options
    skourisskouris Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I have a Phoenix Red 2007 Outlander LS with Sun & Sound package. For the most part I love it, but I do have a few minor complaints. There is of course the seat material, which collects and shows every little piece of anything that comes into the car. It also seems to be prone to scratches, as I have several scratches in multiple places and don't know how I got them. I think there is a lot of plastic in the interior, and I also have a couple of scratches there, one on the door panel and one on the glove box. But it's not that important compared to all of the great features I got with the car, especially the sound system. There is one small thing that has been driving me crazy. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. Ever since I cleaned the dashboard for the first time, it has had streaks all over it. I have tried several different cleaners and even plain water, but I always end up with streaks. It makes it look like the color is uneven, going from light to dark. I can change the streaks and make them go different directions, but I can't get rid of them. Does anyone have a suggestion for something I could use to clean the dash to eliminate the streaks? Thanks!
  • Options
    chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Why don't you use just soft dry cloth. Hand cordless vacuume would also work. This one is only $20 Black-Decker-7-2V-Dustbuster

Here's what one says about it on Amazon consumer review:

"at such a low price, this vac has amazing suction. It sux all the dust off my Outlander dashboard. The battery charge has always lasted as long as i've needed to use it. I bought this as a wedding gift from the couple's registry. They told us that this was their favorite wedding present for Outlander and RAV4 owners. Glad to buy a reliable gift!"
  • Options
    I will start cleaning it with a dry cloth, but first I need to get rid of the streaks. I used Black Magic protectant wipes on it first, which made it very shiny and streaky. Maybe that was the big mistake. I have tried water, Armor All cleaning wipes and Eagle One Nano-protectant spray to get rid of the streaks, and nothing has worked. I think it might be because of the little cells that the dashboard is made up of. Does anyone know of a way to remove the protectant and get it back to baseline? Thanks.
  • Options
    I know Armor All type products are a bad idea on these dashboards, mine ended up all streaked, also. It looks good now, I think it just faded back to normal.
  • Options
    Water + Microfiber cloth.

Repeat until streaks are gone.
  • Options
    Hey, thanks. That's what I was thinking about doing. I will definitely try that. It's funny how often you figure out something is a bad idea after you do it. From now on, I won't use anything on this dashboard other than a dry cloth to get rid of the dust. Thanks.
  • Options
    20vcq20vcq Member Posts: 82
    I am a newbie to this thread. I too have had the Outlander for less than three weeks - took a trip down a gravel road for 1/3 of a mile and have twelve chips in the red paint showing white undercoat. By comparison I have an Audi Q for 17 years of highway and skiing and NOT ONE chip on the side paint. Poor Mitsu design or just very cheap paint job ? Either way not a good start. Mud guards yep I have them - so I will be following up on the 800 number offered by another lister.
  • Options
    20vcq20vcq Member Posts: 82
    Having owned for three weeks now and having spent 9 days on a single trip of over 3,900 km I would say 80% yes. I bought the XLS loaded in RED as it was the only one available. Leather is nice but needs some Neetsfoot oiling to stop scratch marks. Engine is pretty nice for the price - the ride is adequate as it gets a little upset on corrugated type roads or small repeating bumps. I think the sway bars and springs are a little soft. 2 mm larger sway bar would be a big improvement.
    The automatic is at best annoying as h#$l. I asked in another post if anyone else finds the down shift pattern and subsequent 400 rpm drop annoying or (?). It's not an Audi but them it also isn't that price range so dollar paid to value is 80/90% :confuse: