Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Mitsubishi Outlander Owners Give us your report

Comments

• rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    When the front wheels are being pushed by the rear on a good contact surface like asphalt, your faster/stronger turning rear wheel will get some resistance from your slower front wheels. And no it doesn't work like RWD, because that front wheel is latched on to the transmission, so it's not freely turning. No matter how fast your rears will spin, that front wheel is will not quite catch up because its speed is controlled by the transmission. So the vehicle will move by how fast that front wheel will spin, and since your rear is spinning faster/stronger, that'll burn more rubber on the rear. This is how I understand that 4WD Lock is supposed to work. It wouldn't matter really if you're in an off-road condition, but in dry asphalt, that could really cause tire wear in the rear tires.
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    Thanks rcpax. Good article. Not all percentages match the ones in Mitsu's description, but the idea is the same. This article calls the 4WD Auto the "normal operating mode".
    4WD Lock mode is to be used only in the most difficult situations like getting out of deep snow.
  • inventor68inventor68 Member Posts: 6
    I've owned my Outlander for about a month now and I am pretty happy with my purchase. My Outlander is a XLS with sun and sound and luxury package its graphite grey with black leather. Every love everything about the vehicle from the pumpin stereo to the way it drives, handles, and accelerates. This is probably the most pimpin vehicle I have ever owned. I have had issues with the front end clunk but ever since I lowered my tire pressure it has diminished, but I still will get it fixed. Far as wind noise I dont think is that big of a deal my 98 Explorer seems to be louder. I did alot of research before my purchase and sites like this helped me in my decision. Why not read about what other owners of the vehicle are saying about it, I know as a consumer I purchased something that I was not happy with I would complain about it. So thanks to all who has contributed to this site. I will post some pic in the future when I have some time I been pretty busy lately.
  • lukeskywalkerlukeskywalker Member Posts: 2
    Hello -

Took a test drive and love the Outlander. My only concern is the headroom in the 2nd row seemed a little tight (I am 6 ft. tall). I have not driven the Rav 4, etc. but how does the Outlander compare in the 2nd row?

Thanks e
    I finally picked up my RED 2007 Outlander LS 4WD. Indeed, it's a joy to drive it. I only have to fix the side mirror wind noise and I'm all set. I don't seem to have the front end clunk issue. After driving it for 300 KM, I don't find it noisy at all (except for the mirror noise). I find it powerful, smooth and with great handling. I averaged, according with the trip computer, about 11L/100KM which is too good to be true. I will start calculating the gas mileage from the next tank. I will post some pictures as soon as I have a chance.
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Congratulations on ure new Outie! :)
  • pauld37pauld37 Member Posts: 14
    I am 6'4". I test drove the Rav4 before buying the Outlander. Much better room in the front and back of the Outlander. I need to lower the drivers seat so as not to hit my knees on the steering column of the outlander.

In the back of the Rav I had to spread my legs to the sides of the front row seats to fit. The LS Outlander gives you an extra couple of inches of forward/aft movement for the rear seats, if that is important to you.
    Thanks. It's nice to drive a rare car. I'm yet to see another one on the road and I live in 4.5 million people urban area.
  • car57car57 Member Posts: 12
    Yes, I am posting some photos of the paint chipping. It kind of looks like that part of the vehicle has been sand blasted. The damage is on both sides (read doors and rocker panels).
  • smoke_1erssmoke_1ers Member Posts: 17
    did you get the optional Diamond Kote paint protection package?? If so, I'm just wondering if that could be the cause of the paint chipping (also want to know as I'm expecting delivery of my XLS in the next few days...and I got that paint protection package!). What has the dealer said about the problem??
    No, I did not get the Diamond Kote paint protection package. I am taking it back to the dealer today to get the damaged area repainted for the second time. So far, they are saying this is it for helping me. However, they have not definitely said that they won't help me again. I am wanting them to make an effort to figure this out. They are wanting to just repaint and hope that it doesn't happen again. I think that's short sighted since I believe it will happen to me again and to others. It would be better to figure out what is really causing it and then fixing it. The 2007 Outlander really is a great vehicle and I still like it even with the paint chipping issue.
    I think that's short sighted since I believe it will happen to me again and to others

So far the paint in my Outlander is still "showroom" condition. No paint chipping here. I'm interested to see the paint chipping issue you have, so we know in advance if it's happening to our vehicles. I thought you promised to post some pics, did I miss it?
    Thanks for your interest. I did post three photos. If you go to the top of CarSpace and click on "Photos", you can look at my photos under Mitsubishi Outlander Paint Chipping. At least it worked for me when I tried it. I don't know if it's a design flaw, a paint issue for my color or what, but I am still convinced it's a Mitsubishi issue and not just my problem.
    By the pattern I see, I'd say it's more of road hazard. If it was a paint issue, I'm sure we would have heard from more owners. And what's wrong with your paint? Is it me or is the paint in your car uneven? what did you do to it? Can you post high resolution image of that? From those photos, I can't tell if it's photoshopped or not. I am not saying they're bogus, but those pictures don't look real, just my 2 cents.
  • shooplashoopla Member Posts: 7
    I've got chipping in the same area on my grey metallic xls, although not as severe... maybe about 1/2 of what you have. I just assumed it was from normal road debris, since I have a 40 mile commute every day on mixed roads (highway and PA/MD state roads). Although I'll admit it's a little worse than I expected. Maybe I'll post some pictures on Monday so you can compare. BTW, how many miles on it? I'm around 8,000.
  • josh_raben1971josh_raben1971 Member Posts: 7
    I picked up my 2007 Outlander XLS (White) about a week ago. I have to say that I am very impressed with this vehicle. I love the complete look of the vehicle, and the 18" wheels/tires look great. I did notice that the "sport" ride is a bit harsh, but since I have now changed the Goodyear 225/55-R18 to Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 235/55-R18, the noise from irregular road surfaces has been greatly reduced, turning feels a bit more sure footed, and jumping on the accellerator results in less wheel spin. The tire change has made a good driving experience into a great one. This vehicle is a much needes step up from my previous 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I am very happy with this SUV. I am experiencing no hub thump and no wind noise. I will be adding an aux stereo input shortly using the pre-wired harnes that is hidden in the console. I love this SUV.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    My Outlander has clear film protecting the paint in that area, yours doesn't appear to have it. When did you buy yours?
  • spaceman210spaceman210 Member Posts: 50
    Thanks for the tire info, and was there any particular research / review info that caused you to select this particular tire?
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    I don't find the Goodyear 225/55/R18 to be harsh at 32 PSI.
    The only time I have heard the wind noise is when the wind was gusting to 20 MPH. My XLS was built in January and I do not have the hub thump either.
    I don't find the Goodyear 225/55/R18 to be harsh at 32 PSI.

I don't either. I don't want my Outlander to have a soft ride. I love the exact mix of sporty handling with stiff suspension. It gives me a good feel of the road. As if I was actually running my hand off the road's surface. In this vehicle, it is so easy to tell if your front wheel is spinning. Very good tactile feedback. If want a "softie" SUV I would have go for some other make/model, not the Outlander. During my test drive, the handling and engine responsiveness sold me out to the Outlander, more than anything else.

I have read a lot of complaints about the OEM Goodyear tires being crappy and all, but I am quite content with it. IMO, no need for me to change it until they're worn out. By that time, more brands would have supported the 225/55R18 size. Although for now there are at least six good brands supporting this OEM wheel size for the XLS.
    Thanks for looking at the photos. I promise I didn't photoshop the pictures. The damage is that bad in real life. I'm not sure if I can post a high res image (I'm not a high tech guy) I also haven't done anything to the paint - you're just looking at the car as it came from the factory. However, it doesn't look uneven in real life.
    Thanks for looking at my paint chipping photos. My Outlander has about 7,200 miles. Did you post any photos of your Outlander?
    I purchased my Outlander on Dec. 27, 2006. Where did they put protective clear tape on your Outlander. I had them install a clear bra when it was new. After the first problem with paint chipping within the first 10 days of car ownership, I had clear tape put on just above the wheel wells and up to the door. That tape didn't work at all. The paint underneath it has pitted and chipped.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    This is what mine came with stock.

• growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    Whoa.. that aint stock. Must be a dealer option.

My xls doesnt have any tape anywhere on it.
    My XLS was built in January and has that clear tape in the same pattern. It was not put on at dealer.
    I have it too. Mine is January 2007.
  • growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    .. after two months of xls ownership, upgraded my old school cellphone to one with all sorts of gadgetry including 3G video calling, mp3, mpeg, camera and ofcourse bluetooth.

It was embarassing to pick up the cellphone knowing that bluetooth interface is right there. :blush:

Had the list of approved cellphones from mitsu's site but most of them are arcane models. Figured if you had version 1.2 and above you'd be fine. Black Nokia 6288 works just fine.. No problem pairing it and it is peachy.

Mitsu can add this phone to their list. I can vouch for it :P Probably has bluetooth version 2.0.
    Thanks for sending the picture. Yes, my Outlander came with that tape as well. It hasn't held up at all. From your photo looks like your Outlander's paint has held up fine.
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    I used to drive 2004 Camry XLS, which had only 9000 miles when I traded it to Outlander XLS with SS and Luxury.

1. Even, I thought Camry is fun to drive, I found a huge difference vs. Outlander: 6-speed tranny with paddle shifters, more engine power… handling is in a different league. U-turn radius is so much smaller. I was trying to avoid SUVs in the past, because I thought that car is more fun to drive. I don’t think I ever will go back to own a car.
    2. Brakes are so much better. Camry would lock brakes frequently (so ABS get activated), though I was driving in 4WD mode and forgot to test breaks in 2WD mode: could someone comment on that? Handling, breaking, 18” tires and all kinds of safety equipment make this car much safer.
    3. Bluetooth. Before I bought Outlander, I checked online that my fancy phone PPC-6700 is not compatible. I bought the car anyway. A week later, I decided to try pairing my phone with Outlander's Bluetooth, and in couple of minutes it was done with no any problems! That was a nice surprise. Now talking on the phone while driving is so much fun.
    4. Fast key and keyless ignition are my favorite features. I show it off to my neighbor who drives Lexus, and he has nothing like that. I just touch the door handle and magic happens: door unlocks!
    5. Stereo. I don’t see yet much improvement in sound quality with my Rokfort Fosgate stereo: I ‘ve heard that stereo needs time to break-in. But mp3 CD changer and Sirius radio are great: I got tons of good music. Also Outlanders receives perfectly my certain favorite AM stations, which Camry would not receive in downtown Chicago. This was another nice surprise.
    6. Coming from Camry, which is known to be a quiet car, I have not noticed that Outlander is much noisier, as some reported it.
    7. Heated seats were very nice on one cold night.
    8. Beige leather interior looks luxurious and so much better then black or black colth interior. I’d like to see instrumentation more fan looking and with blue lights, not red.

I did not like parking breaks location: it my Camry it was hidden better. Too many cup holders: 4! The car looks awesome, though I’d like it to be a couple of inches wider and longer.
  • souellettesouellette Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I have bought just bought the Outlander and i dont care for the radio. it seems to not pick up the radio stations that well or needing to be adjusted all the time. I can hear the station coming in sometimes well but the clear sounds come and goes. has anyone had this same problem and what can be done about it? As well has anyone tried to use the ACETONE gas saver method on this model of outlander? I have just heard of the acetone thing and not sure of ist validity.
  • solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    There is another thread for the radio issue...

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f1128e3/61

I have the XLS and don't have any issue with the radio...

Never heard of the Acetone method...However, don't use the E-85 Ethanol fuel...Your "check engine" light will come on.. :sick:
    Thank you for your response and radio direction and as well with the fuel. Here is a link to the ACETONE method i ws refering to.

link title

I am going to ask a freidn of mine that has a crappy car to try it out. ">link title
    Not to be sarcastic or anything but that will surely void your warranty. What's a few pennies savings when you lose your warranty? I don't think it's worth it.
  • norybcanorybca Member Posts: 6
    you pictures aren't showing up for me - can you pls send me a side view? i thought you had wide body side mouldings?
    a Japanese option?

thz
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This message has the updated link to the pictures: steve_, "New Mitsubishi Outlander Owners Give us your report" #111, 24 Dec 2006 3:23 pm

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Actually I can't see Lukido's pics any longer but Repax's album is up on his CarSpace page.

Maybe Lukido can set up his CarSpace album? ;)
    Ther isa switch above the rearview mirror that says "DOOR".

Is it a programmable garage door opener?

TIA
    Hi all, i do not want my paint to chip as well. Has anyone bought the mud gaurds. If not do you think that would stop the paint chip problem? please send or provide some pictures. thank you.
    I have the mudflaps, they came with the protection package.
    No paint chips but I only have 1100 miles on the car. I also have the plastic film on the lower part of the fenders.
    Hi all, i do not want my paint to chip as well. Has anyone bought the mud gaurds. If not do you think that would stop the paint chip problem? please send or provide some pictures. thank you.

Here is a small picture tutorial on how to install the OEM Mudguards from Mitsubishi: http://outlander.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=40
  • susieq6susieq6 Member Posts: 7
    This is my third suv(prev-CRV & SL7). LS model. I'm used to the doors locking automatically when engine is started. Is there a way to program the doors to do this?
  • larrys1larrys1 Member Posts: 15
    No, unfortunately the Outlander does not do this. My auto alarm guy, who installed my remote start is looking into how he can install a module to allow for auto lock.
  • jb03302jb03302 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my 2007 XLS Outlander with the RES but NOT the Nav system. I read through the RES manual, but cannot figure out how to run the RES audio through the vehicle's speakers - right now it is limited to the wireless headphones.

Help!?!
  • car69car69 Member Posts: 2
    Bought 2007 Outlander in January. Put factory mud flaps on in February, rocker panels on both sides are badly chipped and are beginning to rust. Went to dealer and they are checking into to it with the district manager. FYI my Outlander is the (?Graphite) dark gray metallic. It is chipping all the way to metal. Would like to know if anyone has gottn any info from Mitsubishi.

Thanks. Car69
  • jvainejvaine Member Posts: 34
    :cry:bought my deep blue metallic outlander dec 27 at about 900 miles the bottom of the doors and the door flairs looked like heck.mitsubishi sayes road hazard and Iwould have to fix it my self.the dealer sead he would help me get a good deal on paint.BIG DEAL. at least my insurance is going to fix it but I dont think thats right I have owned five new mitsubishi's over the years this will be the LAST.
    :cry: its me again recomend calling 1-888-648-7820 to report your problem.they will probably tell you this never.happend to anyone else.like they told me but at least its supposed to be recored.and hopefully they wont cover this up too.
    If the Outlander's paint is a problem then I would have been one of the first to report it because I've own one since nov 06. At 4500K miles on it, paint job is still showroom condition, with some minor blemishes of course, but no paint chipping like you described.

Again, paint is no match with a spray of gravel, any car paint for that matter. I doubt any manufacturer will cover paint chipping from road debris damage. So if you travel more gravel roads, it will be wise to invest in some protection materials. Mitsubishi sells fender flares body kit, but only in JA UK and other markets except US. That seems to be the perfect solution if want to prevent road debris damage.

http://paxtech.blogspot.com
    2nd Gen Outlander Body Kit
    Iam happy to hear your not having any problems.But we can't all live in aperfect world.My outlander has never been off paved roads.We do have a thing called winter & sand&salt.If you take a good look at the design of this vehicle you will see that the front tires are going to sling everything right up the side of the car.I had mud gaurds installed before delivery so thats not the answer.Iam not going to buy something from japan or UK to cover mitsubishi's butt.the cure would be running boards but none available for outlander
    Iam not going to buy something from japan or UK to cover mitsubishi's butt.the cure would be running boards but none available for outlander

You don't have to cover Mitsubishi's butt because they aren't liable for road debris/hazard damage. You will actually be doing your car a big favor. In our damaged paved roads here we have winter and salt but I don't see no sand, only potholes. It will be strange for a paved road to have sand though. But maybe in some areas the paved roads have sand. Too bad your paint is chipping from all the road debris, maybe your insurance will cover that.