Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Customer Service: The good, the bad and the ugly!

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Eric made a major mistake by telling you that you just "might" qualify for something that didn't happen.

Although he was an idiot for suggesting this, I really think you need to get over it and move on.

Even though it sounds like Eric didn't actually promise anything, he did open up the door for problems and your unhappiness.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    It sounds more to me that he strung him along and lied to him...

And, even if he actually planned on making good, not taking or returning his calls is just plain rude.

I work for a large company, and if you want, you can take your complaint all the way to the CEO's office.. And.. any customer service manager that won't return a call would be looking for a job in a short period of time..

There is just no excuse for that person to not resolve the situation, even if it is unsatisfactory to the buyer. I'm sure he'd be happier to just hear, "I screwed up, and I can't give you the $1500."

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

There is no excuse for Eric failing to call him.

" I'm sorry, but there are no incentives available"

Eric shouldn't be in the position he is in!
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    it's also possible Eric was mislead and even still trying to get something done.

there are times people try to do a good deed for someone, only to have it fall apart.

i agree though, failing to return a call is nojoy.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's an interesting article: Using customer-service tips can bring positive results

The main tips are:

When you receive a complaint, try these tips for positive results:

(1) Let customers vent their feelings.

(2) Never argue with customers.

(3) Take responsibility for the problem.

(4) If no solutions are proposed, ask customers what you can do to make it right.

(5) Immediately take action to remedy the situation.

(6) Let customers know that you appreciate their feedback.

Do these six points reflect the kind of customer service you have received?

tidester, host
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    I think #3 is important.

I've always been taught to seek the person in a position to handle the problem (the decision maker).

Also - like the saying: if you want to be loved, be loveable, if you want to be helped, be helpable.
    All good... but, one more thing.. (my wife is a customer service manager..)

APOLOGIZE

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    Does anyone know the mailing address for the CEO of GM/Chevy ?
    Try gm.com for contact information.

tidester, host
    You are far more patient than I! Second chance? Maybe. Third? Definitely not!

tidester, host
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Micky-D's have become the bathroom of the interstate system. And those in my travel area are showing and smelling of it.

In traveling the same route, one McD's is at the first p-break distance from home. And we usually buy something. Several times, you could just 'see' that the personnel were not happy servers. And that a mid-20's 'manager' was probably the cause. Bouncing around and loudly ordering people around. Asking about missing people. And getting surly looks from everyone working there.

About the third time in there, with this guy on duty each time, and the employees nor the manager seeming to be gaining any insight into improving their working or managing environment the following happened.

A middle-aged woman messed up an order for the person in front of me. I don't remember what it was, but a pretty good messup. The manager then started chewing on her. Not just pointing out what was wrong and how it should be handled, but just continuing to drag the problem out with the woman. I gave my order, paid, waited, and got my order. The manager then gave the woman another set of instructions about how the messup should have been handled. I finally decided to give some imput - I caught the managers eye, leaned over the counter and quitely said, so only he could hear(ok, maybe the woman heard), something along the line of 'Yes, and managers should not be correcting their employees loudly in front of customers.' He got a shocked look on his face, thought a moment, and then said 'You are right, I shouldn't be doing that.'

In the last few trips, he doesn't seem to be around any more. And the place seems to be running much better and the workers are definitely happier.
    call me bad

Not at all - you're doing them a big favor!

tidester, host
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    May I respectfully suggest that you were a slow learner. When I get bad service at one of the "fast" food places, I talk to the manager before I learn or I call the 800 number on the bag or that the manager gives me. There is NO second chance without something to show me there was a unique problem that day--and those do happen in all businesses.

Occasionally one of those I-didn't-learn-anything-in-school-about-organizing-my-work but I can work a job without high school skills folks botches up everything at the store before the manager can get them out of that position.

I know a manager from Marching Band parents and the nearby store of the same company, one out of 10 franchises owned by the same fellow, operates like an old folks home. But her store gets nervous when things slow down. They care.

Call or write. Even a Walmart manager called me the other day about an online report about their store. I couldn't recall all I had commented about but he sure wanted to make contact.

Now if Buick will contact me about paying for the upper intake manifold I had to replace a few years back I'll be happy--I'm not holding my breath.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Bigal you have the patience of Job...or is it Jobe?

I was in my car the other day. ;) I happened to be at Wendys drive-thru. The cashier took my money then "told" me to pull up as there would be a wait on my chicken stripes. She says it will take 4 minutes. After waiting 9 minutes ( timed them) and seeing car after car go past from the drive thru, I put my car in reverse ;) and pull back to the drive thru window. The cashier realises her error, doesn't apologise and hands me my order that had been sitting on the counter. I'm already steamed at this point, so I ask to speak with the manager. Cashier yells out,"Manager at pick up window"... like it is a habit. I complain about the service and wait...she apologises and gives me the money back for my chicken. Gives me her name and says our next food order is on her.
    I'm sure if everyone complained like I do they would probably go out of business from all the free food they would have to give out as compensation. But, at least the manager did the right thing.

I worked fast food for about a month in high school. I hated that job, would rather have been cleaning out latrines.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Sometimes managers don't do anything but they have heard my complaint. I expect them to fix it.

A lot of the fast food problem is caused by the business itself. Just like the auto business has caused many of its own problems. The managers don't train right and don't expect proper work from their workers. They often don't pay enough to get good workers, so they get what they deserve.

• gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    My job used to involve travel an average of 4 days each week. I ate a lot of fast food (and it still shows). Anyway, I decided to check out how to become a secret shopper. (Google it) Why not be paid for doing this? I became one for about six months.

I'm not at liberty to tell you what company or give details, but I found both great service and the WORST service. I stopped doing it, because the reports could take up to an hour or more to complete. Although, I would do the reports in a hotel room, I had my own home work to get done. Secret shopping is challenging and the novelty wears off quick.

Since then, I've had both success and failure in complaining via phone or web site. I also provide immediate feedback to the employee and/ot the manager when it's deserved or possible.

Recently, I had a drive-through experience that was super! I told the server that she did an excellent job. She really came across as caring about my order and that I was satisfied. (none of this fake niceness) She made me smile! I also called the resturant and asked for the manager to tell him. He was releived that it was a good call and thanked me for letting him know.
    Good post gasman. Couldn't agree more that giving positive feedback, when warranted, is just as important as reporting the negative...whether it be hamburgers or dealership service.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,343
    The other day I went into Wendy's and was not acknowledged or spoken to except to give me my order total. After the person in front of me ordered, the cashier just looked at me like "you know the drill...whats your order?" She was kind enough to give me my total, I thought she might just point to the number on the register. She got my food and drink and pushed the tray to me. Not a word spoken.

And yes, I did call the 800 number to complain.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    Poor customer service can be traced back to the deterioration of the family and the values that are taught there.

Because of single parent homes, there are too many people in need of public assistance.

Public assistance breeds feelings of entitlement.

Believing you are entitled to free housing, food, etc. weakens and destroys any good work ethic. No need to worry if you get fired or if you quit (because the management is always riding you.) There is always unemployment or welfare to carry you to the next crappy job. Plus, there is workman's comp. to tide you over when you "slip" on a wet floor.

Funny how folks have such a hard time finishing school or getting a GED, but they can work the system like professional money market managers.

Fortuantely, car dealers who see a serious buyer have a sense of urgency and try to make the deal---sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I think you are really stretching things with that explination.
    Poor customer service can be traced back to the deterioration of the family ...

Does that also explain good customer service?

This topic has been here for about a month and I've only seen a few horror stories and a couple of good service stories. It's too soon to make any pronouncements but one might be tempted to infer that customer service is generally acceptable.

tidester, host
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    We have had really GOOD service here in Chicagoland at the local Wendy's. The AM crew is staffed by older people who are genuinely happy to be working the drive-thru. The PM crew is all Hispanic and what they lack in English skills, they make up in enthusiasm and friendliness. And the wait in line is generally less than two minutes.

I think that a lot of the reason why customer service has deteriorated is because it is not valued. We all say we WANT good customer service, but as a society, we treat servers, salesmen, etc. like trash or idiots. Schedule an appointment with a salesman and don't show. Stiff a waitress. Treat a server disrespectfully.
    DING DING DING.

Yup that is exactly correct. Just off the top of my head I would guess only around half of the appointments that people make with me are kept.

People tell me they will call me back on a certain day or by a certain time and they never do. I call them to check on them and see when they would like to reschedule. Most of the times they will not return phone calls either.

If you aren't interested anymore just tell me so I can scratch you off my list of perspective customers and move on with my job.
    Actually, I'm surprised when people do show up when they say they will!

The sxception are older customers. I think they came from a time when their word meant something.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    My wife once had a '96 Integra SE that we bought new. The first time it needed tires, I ordered them from Tire Rack and took them to Pep Boys to have them put on. The car was still pretty much flawless at that point. Well, the tire guy decided to remove the old tires without first taking off the balance weights. Their machine ground gouges into all four wheels all the way around. Upon spotting this and taking the service department manager to my car to show him, the manager replied "the car still rolls, doesn't it?" It only got worse at this point. The guy was about twice my size and acted like he was going to dish out some street punishment on me if I didn't leave.

I went home and called the store manager, who agreed to refinish the wheels. Turns out, by refinish, he means spraypaint over the scratches and getting overspray on my new tires. I ask for new wheels at this point. For whatever reason, these wheels cost over $600 each from Acura. I told him that was unnecessarily expensive and that I would take some aftermarket wheels that were $500 or so for the set. He refused to do anything.

I contacted Pep Boys corporate and threatened legal action. Months went by with no response to my first and later a second letter. One day out of the blue, I received a check for $2,500 from Pep Boys with no letter or anything else in the envelope. The back of the check had preprinted something like "by signing here, you agree not to sue us."

I cashed the check. When my tires wore out, I sold the damaged wheels on eBay for $250. I then bought some wheels on clearance from discount tire for less than $400.

I think this is the only time something like this has worked out for me, but it sure made up for all the little incidents that I had let pass before this.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    The local Pep Boys here is a sweat shop, but I still go in once in awhile when I'm looking for something that I can't find elsewhere, and I feel like I need a shower when I leave. Of all the places I could take my car for service, they would be at the bottom of the list.

Even Advanced Discount Autoparts is getting like that. I prefer Autozone, just bought a radiator for my 99 CRV and they were great.
    Like all franchises, you have some good ones and some pretty miserable ones.

I have had very good experiences with PepBoys in Chicago and Cincinnati. They have done pretty good work at a fair price. I like the fact that I can bring the car in at 7:30am on Saturday morning and have the car out at a reasonable time.

I have had positive and negative experiences at all of the national chains. It is all a matter of the SERVICE MANAGER who is running the shop and that varies between locations.
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    have a good customer satisfaction tale.

Readers of these Edmunds forums know that I’m not bashful and will let you know in a heartbeat (jip, if you’re listening, mine is normal) what I think.

Here goes:

Years ago (early 90’s) while shopping with my wife at one of those outlet stores that she dragged me into; I had to go to the men’s room. Because of the condition of these places I try not to do this but it couldn't’t be avoided this time. When I walked in I could not believe how clean that place was. It bordered on being immaculate. I have never seen one that clean before or since. When I left, I immediately went to the customer service desk and asked to see the store manager. The woman at the desk had this ‘oh, here we go again’ look and asked if one of the assistant managers would do. I said I would rather see the STORE manager if he was in, so she paged him. In no time he was there and he asked how he could help me. I told him the story and he said, “he himself liked clean rest rooms and that was the way he insisted that they be kept in his store”. He thanked me and I thanked him, again. I searched for my wife and told her the story.

On numerous other times when we went to that store and he saw me he would nod/wave to show that he recognized me. My wife would always comment, “there’s you buddy”. This one time when we were in there my wife saw an area rug that she wanted for the foyer, even though it was on sale it still cost over $300. I remember saying to her, “do 5x8 foot rugs usually cost this much? and she said sure, a lot cost more, where have you been”? (obviously not looking at foyer rugs). Of course she bought other THINGS and even she said, “this is the most I’ve ever spent in this store” (no kidding, with a $300 + rug what would you expect?).

FINALLY, we get to the check-out and when we are next in line (one person ahead of us); I noticed ‘my buddy’ come over and sort of point at us and say something to the woman at the check-out register. When we get to the register the woman says, “did you find everything you wanted, is there anything else you want to get today because the manager just authorized me to give you a 15% discount on your TOTAL purchase”!!! I said, “WHAT, and she said, that’s what he told me to do”. After we pass through the register, the manager comes over and says he had wanted to do this for sometime but wanted to wait until we made a large purchase so that the discount would be worthwhile. He then asked if I needed any help getting everything into the car I said no thanks but he insisted and had one of the stock guys help pack the car. Needless to say we were impressed and we never hesitated to continue shopping there.

So, sometimes it pays to open your mouth in a good way.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

I know a lot of shops resent it when people bring in their own parts to be installed. Rather than lose the business they will go ahead and install the tires or whatever and they will usually charge more.

They feel it's like bringing your own bacon and eggs into a restaurant and asking them to cook breakfast for you.

No excuse, but maybe that was part of that guy's attitude?

Me,I avoid the chains. I spent too much time in the tool business and I have seen and heard way too much!
    jip, if you're listening

The Jipster is always listening(or reading). :surprise:

Glad going to the bathroom worked out for you(financially) jmonroe. But, ya gotta be careful about those all you can eat salad bars. :sick:
    I know a lot of shops resent it when people bring in their own parts to be installed

I know that. My brother was a shop manager and used to rant about that endlessly.

jmonroe was the one you are referring to.
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    ...jmonroe was the one you are referring to.

No I ain't, I didn't never say nothin like that!!!

That was 'lemmer' in post 149 who said he bought tires at Tire Rack and took them to PEP boys to be installed. Go check, you'll see.

lemmer:

Sorry, I ain't goin down for this. I have enough trouble defending myself. My back is sore enough carrying me around. I can't carry you too. You'll have to defend this yourself.

jlawrence:

I need an apology.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I know a lot of shops resent it when people bring in their own parts to be installed. Rather than lose the business they will go ahead and install the tires or whatever and they will usually charge more.

I don't see a problem with that because, as you say, they charge more to make up for the lost profit on the parts.

Not only that, but they have now absolved themselves from any warranty issues on the customer supplied parts, and/or the labor required to do the job a second time.

Actually, it sounds to me like a better deal for the shop!
    They really can't charge enough extra to make up for the lost profit from the parts usually.

I remember once when I was a kid working in a gas station, a customer got a cut rate deal on a rebuilt water pump and he brought in to us to install.

Because of bad experience, we didn't sell rebuilts and we told him why we reccommended new and not rebuilt.

Well, it ended up going bad and as I recall, he blamed it on us and we ended up losing a customer.

Other than that, it's just tacky I think.

But, I know Tire Rack is a little different. I think they have a list of shops in the area who don't mind putting on the tires they sell.
    After paying for installation, valve stems, balancing and shipping, can a person actually save enough money to go through the extra hassle?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    After paying for installation, valve stems, balancing and shipping, can a person actually save enough money to go through the extra hassle?

You bet; Tire Rack always beats the local tire shops by at least $30 per tire. Shipping runs $40 for four tires and I have a local tire shop that charges $40 to mount and balance four tires-using "no touch" mounting equipment. And there is NO "extra hassle", as Tire Rack drop ships the tires to the shop. I simply set up an appointment and I'm in and out in under one hour. That said, I may have to buy locally as I'm considering a set of Nokian WRs for the X3, and Tire Rack doesn't carry Nokians :mad:
  • nishonbarunishonbaru Member Posts: 39
    Tires Buy Web carries Nokian Tires.
  • roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    Think about the age of the customer service rep. who gives good quality service. I would offer a guess that it is someone a lot older than a teenie-bopper or young twenty-something. Plus, there are still some good parents who realize that their kids are the future. (You can start singing We are the World here.)

As to service that is acceptable, we have lowered our expectations each time standards drop. So, of course, unless someone really costs us some time or money, we just say,"Well, that's what you'd expect." Otherwise, we go back and let them try to fix their mistake two, three, four, or more times.

Trust me, things are not getting better. Not to say that we can't do something about it. (You can start singing We are the World again.)

P.S. I wrote that first post overly dramatic on purpose. It was a bad day at work, and I was in a pissy mood.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Thanks for the information; I'll check them out.
    Think about the age of the customer service rep.

I think it's hard to generalize based on one's own personal experience. I've gotten some great service from young people and severely bad from "seniors with attitude" - and vice versa.

And that's a good reason to try and find out what others have experienced. :)

Glad you didn't ask for a third round of "We are the world ..." -- I can get too literal occasionally. ;)

tidester, host
    Your story reminds me of telling a Lowe's store manager recently how much his store's appearance and "ambiance" had improved. I had complained for years about cleanliness, appearance, and staff problems. I had had calls from managers responding to my comments about personnel.

He was surprised but had been one responsible for implementing the needed changes and was glad to hear the positive feedback. I told him I had been driving a few mildes further to another Lowe's when convenient to get things.

• lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    Sorry about the confusion.

Yeah, it is hard to find a place to mount tires that you bring in with you. The Tire Rack has recommended installers that will do it, but they charge like $25 a tire to mount and balance.

I wouldn't come in to Pep Boys with my own water pump or alternator, but don't people do that with tires from time to time? Maybe people up north who switch between winter and summer tires but don't have dedicated wheels for each. What about these autocrossers and club racers who have different tires for different reasons? What do all these people do?

One time I needed tires removed so that I could ship the wheels alone. I couldn't find anyone to do that, not even little independents. I finally found someone at a used tire shop in a bad part of town to do it for way too much money. I started wondering how to get those suckers off myself. Tinsnips? A chain saw? I don't know.
    Did you ever do those? When I managed a huge Sears Suto Center we did these and they are scary!
    You mean two and three piece rims??
    They're only scary if you forget to remove the air from the tire before trying to separate rims. It can get exciting then........so exciting that people can die!
    You mean two and three piece rims??

No, that type of rim is available in several pieces so as to be able to assemble a variety of rims in varying widths with a minimum of different parts.

Split rims are usually used on commercial vehicles and are designed to be unbolted to mount or dismount the tire. The wheel consists of an inner and outer rim, ususlly with an 'O' ring between the two to provide an airtight seal.

If the rims are unbolted with air remaining in the tire, even a few pounds, the result is often an explosive decompression resulting in the outer half of the rim flying through the air. It'll often go through the roof or fly around the workshop, and it's quite capable of removing someones head!

Early LWB Land Rovers were optionally fitted with split rims to make tire changing in the field easier. Hummer H1s are often fitted with them too.

Ahh I didn't know that. Never really spent much time working on commercial vehicles. Flying metal bits in the shop are not good.
    ..use a big cage that they roll the tire into.. Picture 4-5 10-foot long steel tubes, bent over to form a tunnel...

In other words, you don't do what the guy in the cartoon is doing... you take it off the truck, roll it into the cage, and work on it there..

I've seen cages where a rim has blown off.... the steel bent like strands of spaghetti.. But, probably saved the service tech's life..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• deserth8rdeserth8r Member Posts: 45
    I think there are two different types of split rims, the other type are not held together by bolts, but rather they have an inner tube inside the tire and a split ring holds the tire in place.

Usually we hear about one Soldier dying each year because they did not use the tire cage to do one of these tires, or tried to remove the ring with air in the tire. Overinflation can also cause this type of ring to come off.

I have seen a few times where someone did not let all of the air out before trying to take apart a Humvee tire, however, if done correctly, the air gets released while bolts still hold the two pieces together. If you are removing the bols correctly, in a cross pattern, this is usually not a problem.
    The danger is when you are airing them back up. If the ring isn't totally seated it'll blow off. The old tire guys were pretty good to the point some of them didn't bother with a cage. I once watched a Brannick cage jump three feet off the ground when a rim let go.

The deadliest of all were made by Firestone they weren't split. Just a ring. These had a nasty habit of blowing off AFTER the tire was fully inflated and removed from the cage! Didn't happen often but I wouldn't let my guys work on these. We sent those (very few) customers elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.