Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda CX-7 Check Engine Light

Comments

• Options
    johnny__rfjohnny__rf Member Posts: 83
    So I had the intermittent CEL all winter and now it has been gone for a few weeks. Do I still have a problem even though the CEL is off or has the problem gone away? I'm wondering if there is a detection threshold that is not being hit. I'm due for an oil change so I'll have them check it out anyway....My MPG's have never been higher than 18 mpg (awd vehicle)
  • Options
    defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    Until the last few weeks they haven't had the part. They have a new sensor waiting for me but I was waiting for door gaskets to come in so I could get it all done at once.
  • Options
    astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    I had the exact same situation, johnny_rf. My CEL was on and off all winter as well, based primarily (I think) on the outside temperature. It hasn't appeared in about a month or so. I'll be having an oil change very soon as well, and I'll certainly mention it. I've already had so many fixes to the car due to CEL, so I'll be curious to see what, if anything, is discovered.
  • Options
    phillygwmphillygwm Member Posts: 3
    I just bought my CX-7 2 months ago. My CEL went on and it was the P2006 error. The dealership replaced the IMRC actuator and sent me on my way.

My question, not being a gear head, is whether this has anything to do with my gas mileage. I love the car but the mileage (I have the AWD) kinda sucks.

Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    Well, if you really want to learn about the MPG situation, then go to the thread abut MPG and "Xtre, Xtre, 'read all about it,'" :blush:

If you live in colder climes, then you are no different than the rest of us. Just wait until it starts to warm up. :cry:
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...whether this has anything to do with my gas mileage

That's the Intake Manifold Runner Control actuator whose function is to draw more air into the manifold at higher engine speeds. It does so by pulling the IMRC cable to let more air in. If it's not functioning then your CX-7 engine may be running lean so your mileage may be affected.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    tidester, you are exactly correct.

My father-in-law's CX-7 has only had 2 CEL's to date. (Purchased on 9/9/06, 12,000 miles currently). He lives here in CT (cold winters). One was the gas cap, the other was the IMRC. Before the IMRC was replaced, he was getting 17-18mpg highway. Now, he gets 22-23mpg highway.

If you have a heavy foot, and use all those ponies going 70mph or more, expect lower then 23mpg highway.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. Got the CL all winter and I am only getting 17-18 mpg (awd). I am brnging the cx in this wednesday. Would love to get 22 mpg's...........Wll Mazda pay me for all those lost mpg's?
  • Options
    Wll Mazda pay me for all those lost mpg's?

No. They will not. It is not an official recall, it is only in certain CX-7's. Plus, Mazda has no way of knowing your driving habits.

Keep in mind, the engine is tested at 60mph. If you drive over 60mph, you will not get the EPA estimate of 24. My father-in-law filled up, drove on the highway for a great distance with the cruise control set at 60. Went to another gas station, and filled up. Did the math, came out to 23mpg.
  • Options
    erhayeserhayes Member Posts: 10
    This whole issue and the dealers handling of it is deplorable. After the third visit, I would have contacted the factory representative and explained the situation. There is a lemon law for cars that prove difficult or impossible to fix. The manufacture is responsible for providing the purchaser with a SAFE and DEPENDABLE vehicle. Do to the issues you have mentioned and the CEL, they have not provided you with a safe and dependable vehicle. They must fix the car or give you and new one or give you back your full purchase price. I'd get my money back or a new CX7.
  • Options
    if and when it gets fixed and the mpg's go up to 22, I'll be sending Mazda USA a bill for the following: 6800 miles / 17 mpg = 400 gallons of gas * 4/22 (ratio of mpg shortfall / correct mpg) = 72 gallons of excess gas used due to bad IMRC

72 gallons * $2.80 / gallon = $201.60 that Mazda USA owes me.
  • Options
    This is my 3rd.....I'm getting pissed...............
  • Options
    was your IMRC fixed back in April?

My father-in-law's still is running fine with 17K on the clock to date, still getting MPG's as advertised. I check with him almost every time I talk to him. He has only had 2 CEL's, gas cap and IMRC.
  • Options
    IMRC was fixed. i just filled the tank and now its off again. weird 'cause I always click the cap at least 10 times..............
  • Options
    amir2amir2 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my CX-7 2 months ago. The engine light goes on, for the second time, after 20 days which it had been fixed by Mazda service dept.
    I am worry about this problem in CX-7 because I can not afford to waste my time in service department every 20 days.

Is there any way to fix this problem permanently?
  • Options
    vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Do you know what the CELs were for? There should be some codes and/or short textual description on your receipts. Sounds like you have CELs for different problems.

Vince.
  • Options
    pauldudapaulduda Member Posts: 8
    Good Luck! I've had my CX7 since August 2006 and the CEL has been on since the second week I bought it. The dealership I've been taking it to is clueless as to how to fix it. (Westside Mazda in Cleveland). It's been in and out of the shop many times. One time for a week. No solution. I think they just don't know how to fix this problem. I've grown to hate this car. :lemon: Interestingly, though, just last month I thought, since this car is a piece of crap anyway, I'll just put regular gas in it. Surprisingly, the engine light now stays off about 50% of the time I drive it. I really think the technicians at Mazda don't know what they're doing... I'm sure there last job was a greeter at wallmart.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Are you in the process of having Mazda buy the car back? Also, how many different dealers have you tried?
  • Options
    amir2amir2 Member Posts: 2
    Last time they updated the software, and this time they changed the gas cap.
    I told them why a brand new car should have these problems!!! and they could not answer me except sorry. :mad:
    This car has problem.
    Unfortunately I am living in canada and there is no lemon law here.
    DO NOT buy Mazda CX-7
  • Options
    I share your frustration! I've had two CELs, but those are distant memories now. One was the gas cap and the other was the IRML. I've got 24K miles and it's running strong and smoothly. I attribute those earlier problems to normal, expected hiccups from a new product. Mazda seems to be working proactively to smooth out those bumps. My Mazda dealer has been exceptional in that regard!

There are no guarantees about future models, but I'll wager that the 2008 model will be relatively bug-free (keep my fingers crossed here, hoping I don't have to eat my words) :P

Vince.
  • Options
    carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Well, the gas cap problem is inexcusable in my book - especially since it spans across other models.

That being said, I think our (consumers') standards have gotten a little too high these days with regards to the CELs. You have to understand that the engine computers are controlling a LOT of stuff under the hood and elsewhere, all in the name of giving you power, reliability, emissions control, and (in theory) good mileage. Personally, I'd rather have a CEL now and then than go back to the days where you had no CEL at all. (I know, I know... in the days of 2BBL Rochesters, maybe there wasn't so much to go WRONG with a car... ;) )

Point is, I don't think two CELs in the first year of ownership of a first-year model classifies the car as a "lemon." Some of the more vaunted makes throw CELs every now and then too, you know. Nobody gets a car perfect right out of the gate, although you could argue that as a rule, Honda comes closer than Mazda. But frankly, I wouldn't even count two CELs as a "hiccup." It's the system working the way it's supposed to. So get your free loaner, take it easy on the service guys (it's not like they designed the vehicle), and look forward to getting your baby back.
  • Options
    Excellent points, carlitos!

:)

Vince.
  • Options
    2 weeks ago I brought the CX-7 in for the CEL and the dealer did some sort of software flash.....Yesterday I got the CEL again (3 days after last gas fill up). I am absolutely fed up.

This is now my 4th occurrence of CEL in 6 months of driving the CX. I am leasing my vehicle. Do I have any legal grounds for terminating the lease without penalties?

I do not have the time to bring the CX in for a CEL occurrence every other month.............I'm ready to walk.
  • Options
    I can sympathize and empathize with you, johnny rf, as I stopped counting the number of CELs I had in the first 8 months I had my CX7. I've had 3 different gas caps installed; had various corrections made to the intake manifold; had the software update; and other corrections (without having my CX7 receipts in front of me, I truly can't remember each procedure that's been done). Also, during the winter months (I live in Connecticut), the CEL went on consistently as soon as the temp dipped into the 20's.

I did investigate Connecticut's lemon law, since each state has its own unique requirements for a car to be covered, and I did not quite make the cut, since each CEL was seemingly caused by something different, rather than the same cause over and over. However...I really like the car and have made peace with the fact that my particular car - not all CX7s - is flawed in this respect. It will VERY interesting to see what happens this coming winter once the temps drop. My dealer is not conveniently located for me nor is it open on Saturdays, so to get the car serviced for any reason (e.g., oil change)means missing work. So believe me, it took a lot of patience to come to grips with this flaw in the car. Again, I believe it's just my actual car that's whacky and I had to think long and hard about whether it was worth the possible grief and aggravation. In the end, I decided to just roll with it. I don't feel I'm in danger driving the car and as mentioned, I really DO enjoy everything else about it!

So...you'll have to decide which road to follow - do you have the time and resources needed to get yourself out of your lease (would an attorney be needed?)early, or would your time and $ be better spent "fixing" the car? Only you can figure this out. But I can understand your frustration 100%. :cry:
  • Options
    aarkonnaarkonn Member Posts: 1
    All,

I too had this problem but after 2 CELs, I mentioned there was a Technical Service Bulletin that covered this problem which they then properly addressed. (they probably knew about this TSB but I mentioned it anyhow)

Here is the link that I have that covers all TSBs on our CX-7s. Since they are warrantied repairs, might as well have them address them as you see fit.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/cx7/docs/

hope this helps
  • Options
    So the CEL went off magically 1 1/2 weeks ago, and returned again yesterday.

Time to write a nastygram to Mazda USA and my attorney.

Absolutely fed up and ready to walk away from this vehicle.

:lemon:
  • Options
    zoom49zoom49 Member Posts: 76
    Sounds like gas cap issue to me. I finally had ours replaced after over 10 CEL happinings. This did not affect the driveability of performance of my car whatsoever.
    We are not alone in this ongoing CEL saga. Acording to
    Toyota Motor over 56% of new 2007 Toyotas have experienced CEL lights. :lemon:
  • Options
    Supposedly, 3 visits ago my cap was replaced. Isn't there some sort of visible mark on the new cap to indicate that it was replaced? I'd like to double check to make sure it was replaced........
  • Options
    I think the new cap works its way loose, or perhaps is just as hard to tighten as the old one. I know for sure that I have a new gas cap, yet it threw a CEL last week. I checked/cleared the code myself, and found the newfangled gas cap rather UN-tight...
  • Options
    I am on gas cap #3 and the 2nd and 3rd were indeed marked...one with a yellow dot, one with a red dot, as I recall.

Also...I find that on the rare occasions that I use a full-serve gas station, I notice that the attendants do not turn the cap more than twice. If I forget to re-tighten it myself, then I get a CEL which goes away after I fill the tank again. 99% of the time, I pump my own gas and I tighten the cap at least 6-8 turns (almost to the point where it sounds like it'll crack!).

johnny_rf, good luck in your efforts to ditch your CX-7. As I've said, I can sympathize and empathize. Please let us know what happens with your attorney and Mazda. I hope it works out for the best, whatever that may be.
  • Options
    Toyota Motor over 56% of new 2007 Toyotas have experienced CEL lights.

I have read that as well. I have a 2005 Mazda6 4cyl w/ 32K and no problems to date. My wife has a 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS w/64K and numerous CEL's that will not stop.

Basically, all makes and models are going to throw CEL's from time to time. Especially because of all the emission regulations, demand for more power, and greater fuel economy and smaller displacement engines. This means vehicles rely heavily on computer assistance. Look at your PC, and tell me how many times have you wanted to throw it out the window due to problems? At least 100 I bet.
  • Options
    edigeoedigeo Member Posts: 6
    sorry guys ...maybe i'm on the wrong page...but i have a problem with my car...cx7 mazda...is blowing white smoke from exhaust.the car is by the dealer from 2 weeks already,and they can't find the problem...does anybody have any idea? thanks!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Yes, you're in the wrong topic! Please continue with your other post: edigeo, "Mazda CX-7 Maintenance" #135, 9 Aug 2007 7:48 pm

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    jmackojmacko Member Posts: 1
    i own a mazda cx7 for 2 months i only have 1,900 mile and guess what my cel came on what do u think this is is is it a lemon because i already had wireing problem window wont go down nothing somebody help me out please
  • Options
    If you read the forums, you can see what other owners have gotten CELs for, but there's no way anybody here can tell why you got yours.

Have your dealer check it out. Or invest in your own code reader. They start at $50 or so, but be prepared to do some research online about the codes and what they mean.

One CEL in the first two months does not make the car a lemon. That happened to almost everybody who bought a CX-7 a year ago.

-c92
  • Options
    hyundaehyundae Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering if they fixed some of these issues for the 2008s :confuse:
  • Options
    zewie1zewie1 Member Posts: 5
    I just brought my Mazda CX-7 in for a CEL today, for which i had the second gas cap replaced. but the reason i am replying to the message is.... i live in New York and this winter i had numerous CEL's go on. and it seem s to be the same exact problem that you were having. that CEL would come on instinctively when the temperature went down... this was extremely frustrating ..... so if you think it is a quirk of you car then our cars are twins. just a coincidence im not sure. with all the problems i am having with my car im not sure what to think....
  • Options
    already had wiring problem window wont go down nothing

Probably not a wiring problem. The windows need to be programed by a Mazda tech. If power is disconnected from the battery, this needs to be done again.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Tech not needed. there should be instructions in the owners manual to reset the auto up/down feature. I'm too lazy to hunt for it right now, but I saw it the other day.
  • Options
    Correct. You open the window all the way, and then back up. Hold the window button in the up position for about 10 seconds, or until you hear a faint click, and your done.
  • Options
    zewiw1, it will be VERY interesting to see what happens this winter when the temps drop here in Connecticut (Fairfield County). The reason I thought my car was unique with regard to the CEL/cold weather was that no one else in this forum encountered the same experience last winter. In some ways, I am "glad" to read that you encountered the same occurrence...perhaps there was a particular batch of cars that all share this "problem" but who can say? I quickly learned to ignore the CEL all winter, since it went away as soon as the temps got over freezing. Knock on wood, I've had no other issues with the car, so the constant CEL all winter simply fell into the "annoying but harmless" category, thank goodness. My car had its first birthday on August 12th, and I'm still enjoying it immensely, no regrets!
  • Options
    Hopefully we don't have to see you come in again this winter for the CEL. Has it been fine in recent months?
  • Options
    I am happy to report that I've only had one CEL since the winter - and that was the one rare time I filled up with gas at a full service station - and the attendant did not screw the gas cap on very well. I should have told him to turn it more than twice! Once the light came on, I re-tightened the gas cap, and within a day or so (or at least by the next tank of gas, I forget), the CEL disappeared. I'm on my 3rd gas cap, but I always tighten it at least 6-8 times when I get gas.
  • Options
    rex10rex10 Member Posts: 24
    I left the car in long term parking for 5 days at the airport. When I got back I was welcomed with my 2nd CEL (I'm at ~9000 miles - I got the new gas cap last time at 700 miles). I made an appointment at the dealer, in the meantime the light went out after a couple of days. I brought it in anyway and they want to replace the fuel filler neck. After one week I got the car back because the part was on national backorder. I'm finally now taking the car back in again for the part to be replaced.
    At least the MPG's have gone up over the summer, but I still haven't ever gotten anything better than 22.4 MPG on a tank, even coming down from the mountains driving 65-70 MPH. They did re-flash the computer and the turbo lag is drastically reduced. I have to "re-flash" my right foot now to get used to it!
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I have a MPV and using Mobil-1 since the odo passed 10K. Some said that let the seal settled with regular engine oil for the first 10K mile. The mileage now is at 37.5K and the motor oil color is so clean on the dipstick. All mechanics saw it will give this a thumb up.
  • Options
    Got yet another CEL the other day (I've had so many I have lost count). When I went to fill the tank it looked like the cap had come loose. I usually click the damn thin 10 times due to the known issues. This is my 2nd cap. Maybe I need a 3rd?

#$%!&^@*#&! !!!!!!
  • Options
    Ditto. Same here.

-c92
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Noted last post was 9/1 ...

Is there anyone has the CHECK ENGINE light issue for the past month?
  • Options
    I'm sure I've gotten a CEL in the past month, but if it's the loose gas cap code, I just clear it myself and tighten the gas cap...
  • Options
    Yes I continue to have intermittent encounters with the CEL. It's on right now. I am due for the 15K service, so I will have them look at it again (4th time or so.......)